PDA

View Full Version : Wk of Mar 19--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera
03-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
http://www.marathonwalking.com
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com
http://acefitness.com/getfit/freeexercise.aspx
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Race Etiquette with Miss Road Manners (http://www.rrca.org/publicat/missrm.htm)

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

Good training everyone!

chimera
03-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Screen Name IRL Location

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
Andrea718 Andrea NY
andromedaslove Dana FL
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
budbeerlady
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
Cheryl N. WI Cheryl WI
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
debm IL
DianeL Diane
DisneyGirl
disnygoof Christiana SC
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
goingthedistance Paul NM
gradtchr Beth TX
hmgolden Helen NY
Hockeychic Kim CA
hockeygirl Laura NY
Honeibee Judy NY
icunurse_celeste Celeste IL
Jen117 Jen WI
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
k_hase Kim NY
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Carmella DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KeriZ Keri CA
Kimickey Kim MD
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
lizdotcom99 Liz IN
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minnie Minnie
monte Monica CO
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
msblrobs Sara NY
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom OH
Papa Deuce PA
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
princessmomma Colleen NC
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Stenogoddess Lauren GA
stitch lover sith Erin
TammyNC Tammy NC
TEK224 Terri PA
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TnTsParty FL
TXBelle Heather TX
Wbgirl Melissa MN
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
wfloyd Bill FL
wiskband Renee NY
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME

chimera
03-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Short and sweet tonight...took me awhile to rebuild the list. I apparently hadn't added anyone since January :guilty: This list is everyone who's signed in on the thread and expressed intention to train with us this year. There are already 75 of us at this time :scared1: If you're on the list and don't want to be, let me know. If you're not on the list and want to be, let me know! If you're on the list and haven't posted in awhile, pop in and let us know how you're doing. We don't want to have to get the dogcatcher out after you. One difference from last year...I used to post the race you were training for, but now there's so many different races it's too hard to keep track!

Looks like we need a WISH team group hug :grouphug: seems like it's been a rough week all around. pixiedust: for a better one this week!

Welcome Kim! :welcome:

Happy Belated Birthday to Claire and Liz! :bday:

This is my first official training week for the Minnie. I actually cross-trained at the Y on Friday. I sure wasn't lifting small cars, but it was nice to be doing it again. 3 miles with DD13 today, who's also planning to do the Minnie. I think I ran faster to keep up with her...3 miles in 39:12 (13:04 pace...splits 13:14, 13:03, 12:59). I'm training with the MFM R/W program this time, so this was at R3/W2. If I whine about it being hot this morning, will y'all shoot me :teeth: We didn't get out until about 8:30 and it was already pretty toasty :sunny: .

Maybe LLP is in Hawaii? Didn't she have a trip plan?

Is Helen back from Tokyo yet?

Good training everyone!

lizdotcom99
03-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Speaking of the dogcatcher.......she is on her way to my house at this very moment!!!! :thumbsup2

See what happens when you DON'T put the steps in? :lmao:

Off to spend the day in Chicago with more birthday celebrating and sharing good times with good friends!

I guess 40 was a lot better than I ever thought it would be :goodvibes

More later...and maybe even with pictures! I am taking my digital camera too!!

Happy training and enjoy what is left of the weekend. And agian, thanks for all the birthday wishes! I have to tell you I have had a wonderful weekend!!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

jodistar
03-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Morning Everyone,

I didn't get to post much of what I had done yesterday, so here goes:
Personal Trainer Session -
-Crunch with weighted ball (6 pound ball) - 12 reps, 3 sets
On the Bosu ball:
-Standing on the black side of the ball, using the weighted ball - drop ball from side to side; 12 reps, 3 sets
- Arms extended out infront of you, pass the weighted ball from side to side; 12 reps, 3 sets
- Squat (press weighted ball out to the front) 12 reps, 3 sets
- Oblique twisting squat, 12 reps, 3 sets
- triceps using weighted ball, while on the bosu - 12 reps, 3 sets
Now with the blue side up:
Chest press (small of the back is over the ball) 8 pounds weights, 3 sets, 12 reps

On the floor -
Push up using one weighted ball (under one of my hands), 12 reps, 3 sets

After the trainer session - at the fitness center:
TM work - ran 7 miles in (87.50), actually it was a lot of running but when I felt like I needed a break I would walk....DH said that I did a little bit over a 12 minute mile - still not as fast I want it to be but given the distance that I ran I think that it is good that I am keeping steady at somewhere around 12 minute miles.

Have a good day everyone!

Jodi

AmyBeth68
03-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone!

Jodi: Great workouts! :thumbsup2

Mel: Thanks for building the WISH screen-name list! :goodvibes

Well, finally starting to feel better. I'm still coughing, but I decided to begin workouts again this weekend. Yesterday I did a pilates class! Hadn't been there in a while...forgot how wonderful this class is. We used the reformer "machines" and they are so great for those core muscles!

Today I got out there and did 3 miles. The weather was chilly and grey, which was a bit of a bummer, but overall I'm pretty happy with my run all things considered. I managed to finish in 31 minutes, 50 seconds. I believe that is a 10 min. 36 sec pace. Still not under 10 minutes...but who knows how I would have done completely healthy?! I've got a month before my first ever 5K, so there is still time :goodvibes .

Here's hoping for a happy and healthy upcoming week for everyone!!! :wizard:

crzy4pooh
03-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey! I haven't been posting for a while - mostly lurking and trying to keep up with training and my almost 3-year-old! :faint: You all are doing so great!!! And welcome to all the new people!!! By the way, thanks for doing the list Chimera - please don't send the dogcatcher after me or DH (wfloyd)! :teeth:

I am training for the Minnie and the Danskin Tri (back-to-back weekends). Things are going well - I just did an 8 mile run yesterday, and am about to head out for 12 miles on the bike. Swimming is still my weakest event, but I have lessons, and am trying to get to the pool at least 3 times a week. DH is doing great, also - he just did a 10 mile run on Saturday. His next big event will be the DL 1/2, with a few smaller races before then.

We can't wait to see many of you at the Minnie and again in California!!! :thumbsup2 And I will try to stay more up-to-date with reading and posting! :blush:

Keep up the great work everyone!!! :banana:

RunningLilo
03-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Cam- WTG on your 5k! :cool1: Girl, you rock! You should be super proud of your improvements! :banana: Keep it up!

Dave- How was your learning to run group? That's a step I haven't had the courage to take yet. I would love to join up with a running club, but I'm so freaking shy. I'm so proud of you for going. :thumbsup2

Kim- Welcome to WISH! :wave: Sounds like I could learn a lot from you. Thanks for joining us!

Jodi- Do you have any idea how inspiring your workout schedule is? :goodvibes Do you think having a trainer has been worth the money? I'm still trying to work up the courage to fork over some money to one.

Amy- Hey girl! :wave2: Okay, I have a problem. You know how we are doing our first 5k/10k on April 22nd? Well, I just found the results for mine from last year and the slowest person in the ENTIRE race finished 5 minutes faster than I can run. I normally don't mind being last in my age group, but having the close of the entire race wait on me is so scary. I've just about talked myself out of doing it. I told dh we could print "THE" on the back of my running pants and "END" on the back of his since we were going to be last. I would totally just pick another race except that we've already paid for it. Argh, should I still go?

Whatta think WISHers? Would you run a race if you knew you would be dead last?

Jen117
03-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Hey everyone. I was a little excited yesterday. My girls had swim class, so while the second one was in class with dad (she is almost 3), I went to the track and did some walking and jogging. After my warm up lap, I decided to jog, and ended 12 laps later..... 1 MILE NON STOP. I was so excited I wanted to scream. But the only other person there was some show off middle aged guy that wanted to prove he was faster than me. No biggie, because most people ARE faster than me. My daughter (5 1/2) was in charge of the stop watch, big mistake. She turned it off accidentally somewhere around 5 minutes. An estimate from the clock had me at about a 13 minute mile. I walked the rest of the time.

Today I went back to the gym and did 50 minutes of elliptical/cross training and 10 minutes of weights. I could tell I pushe myself yesterday because my hams where a little sore. But it felt SOOOO GOOD! Now I need to do 3 of those babies before my 5K the first weekend of May!

Dave - AWESOME on your run. I don't think we have a running group here. I have looked and haven't found one. I think it will be very helpful to work off of others! Keep it up! Are you doing the 1/2 or Full at Disney?

Cam - YAHHOOO on your 5K. I hope I do as well on mine in May. I can't believe how far I have come in 3 months. It blows my mind. I really believe that running is harder than people think. You are doing great. I can't wait to meet you at the 1/2 in January!

MelRhoads
03-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Cam - way to go on your 5k! Those are such big improvements that you are making over short distances!! That is a really big deal!!!!! (i'm not saying a 5k is short, I'm saying that is a huge chunk of time to gain over that distance!)

Amy - glad you are feeling a little better. Good job on the three miles!

Dena - I have done a race where I was dead last! It was a 15 mile trail run last october. I actually decided to really enjoy it b/c it was something I'd never done b/4. I'm usually one of the slower one's on the trail, but not last. I decided to look at it as a personal record. In fact, on the wish board, we joked b/c there were 8 women and I came in 8th, so everyone congratulated me on my "top 10 finish!" I'm doing a marathon in one week where I could very well close the course (and I'll be running!!!!!). I think my plan there is for me and my friends to make funny faces and poses for all of the race pics so it will be a very special occasion!

TEK224
03-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Are you planning to do it again in 2007? I keep debating with myself (makes for good conversation :teeth: ) whether I want to do both. Friends that i though were doing the 1/2 are still non-committal.

Although doing both was hard, it was a challenge. I just can't decide. :confused3

On one hand I think it would be cool to do Goofy every year :crazy:
But on the other hand, that required a huge commitment to train. I won't ever have to worry about the possibility of winning or finishing tops in my age group, so going slow and steady will make it somewhat easier on the body.

What are you guys doing/thinking?

Terri

k_hase
03-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Yuck, 17.5 today. On the treadmill. At least it built mental stamina too. THe weather was so nasty that I really had no other choice, but 2:40 on the dreadmill is way to too much. Reward was a hotdog and curly fries.

Melissa and Dena, I was once 2nd to last in a race. It too was a trail race and when I lined up at the start I realize I was out of my league just looking at these people. 20K. As I approached the last mile I saw a man ahead of me and was gaining on him. Turns out I was last and passing him made him last. The best part...he was limping. I beat a limping man. The only thing worse is if the limping man had beat me!

perfectmatch300
03-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Dave Great pace on your runs! You're already at a 10 min mile! :banana: Glad your training group went well. Sounds like you were right to move to the advanced group.

Cam Great 5K! :cheer2: Howard, too! :yay:
I loved seeing your improved 5K times over the past year. You really have come a long way!

Kim Welcome! :wave2:

Jodi I am so impressed with your training sessions!

Lilo I pretty much know I am going to be last any time I enter a 5K! Well, actually I was only dead last once - on my first 5K. Everyone has been great, though. Very encouraging. I loved the idea of THE END on your shirts, but y'know, you just might surprise yourself and do better than you think you will. I'd go for it as far as doing the race goes.

Jackie Hope we can have a healthy BB rivalry. JJ Reddick is quite the player, and I love that Chubby Checker's daughter plays for Duke!

I swam yesterday, 1000 meters again. I was under 27 min this time, and culd have done bettter if I didn't have hair stuck under my goggles that I couldn't get fixed. I really need to allow myself more time so I can start going a little farther, too. I want to get to 2000 meters comfortably Planning to head out on my bike shortly. I've spent most of the day watching basketball on both the TV and computer so I think I need to get out and get some exercise!

Phew! UConn men just pulled out their win! :cheer2: Now I can go ride, then get ready for the women's game tonight!

littlegreydonkey
03-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi guys - I'm back. So, before I start waffling - well done Cam, Dave, Mel and everyone else who raced while I was gone. Pixie dust to everyone with wayward children and kitty's going to the big mousecatching place in the sky and hooray to everyone else for still being here.

Well I haven't run for two whole weeks and the word antsy applies. We did walk for about 5 hours a day in Tokyo, and every night things hurt but I'm still feeling like I need to move. We did have a gym in our last hotel but it was on the 52nd floor and the treadmills faced the floor to ceiling windows - strangely, running toward a few thousand foot drop didn't appeal to me!!! Am off for a 6km run tonight though.

So, just in case anyone's interested we went to Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyseas. Disneyseas was cool - a completely different style of park, it looked like Islands of Adventure but with rides like 20,000 leagues under the sea!!! Disneyland was bonkers though - all the rides etc are the same as Fla/Ca but in Japanese which makes for an entertaining Jungle Cruise, but the queues!! We got there an hour after opening and the queue for Buzz Lightyear was already 80 minutes long and fastpass was at 5.15pm!!! We managed to get on about 6 rides (including a new 'black pearlised' PotC) with short queues but by 2pm everything had at least a 2 hour queue and no fastpasses (and this was just a normal Friday, not a holiday or anything). Apparently the Japanese see it as part of the experience to stand in the queues, liike a badge of honour to do 140 mins for splash mountain, sadly we didn't feel quite the same so ran screaming back to our hotel at 2pm. The merchandise is great though - really mad hats, every character actually worn on people's heads, and I got a lovely fluffy Minnie Mouse cape to wear at my desk when I'm chilly! - but Pooh Corner had no Eyeore at all. In fact, he was nowhere to be seen anywhere, I may have to write a letter to complain!. So, I'm back, raring to go (?) and with two 10k races in the next few weeks to entertain me. Helen

magslite
03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Today was my first race!!! :cool1: My time for the 5k was 36:26. That makes my pace 11:45. :thumbsup2 I am so excited. Oh and I wasn't last! My goal (besides finishing) was to finish in less than 40 minutes. :cool1:

I did r3/w2 intervals. The first mile stunk. I thought I must be insane for signing up for 2 halfs this year. But, by mile 2 I started thinking wow this feels okay. I tried to start enjoying the chicago lakefront view. At mile 3 I could see my husband (finished 29:09) and the finish line and I just started smiling. This felt really good!! :)

I can't believe how much you were all in my thoughts during the race today.
Thanks for the support.
Maggie

TiffJ
03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Not much going on with me training wise. Almost over what I think is strep throat (never broke down & went to dr) and DS has pinkeye and now they are on spring break , so they get to be home with me ALL WEEK! :teeth:

Helen-welcome home. I was wondering how your trip was going. Those queues are crazy, there is no ride I will wait that long for. I'm too spoiled with FP & dont wait more than 20 min for anything! Even during Thanksgiving.

Maggie & Cam-Awesome job on your races!!!!

K_hase- I was once beat by a lady wearing a giant green cardboard crayon costume :rotfl2: But at least I was out there doing it :thumbsup2

Terri-that's a good questions. I have delusions of doing the full next year but I haven't decided if I can/want to commit that much time to training. Plus I think DH would like to go somewhere not related to my racing. Oh, and I debate with myself all the time.

Lilo-do not worry about being dead last. I have been last & it wasnt that bad. The race workers were cool about it & were chearing me on & said at least I was out there which is better than alot of people do. Go for it!

Mel-great pace!

Jen-great pace :banana:

jodistar
03-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

Jodi: Great workouts!

Thanks for the great compliment Amy!

Jodi- Do you have any idea how inspiring your workout schedule is? Do you think having a trainer has been worth the money? I'm still trying to work up the courage to fork over some money to one.

Thanks Dena for the great compliment - The personal trainer is definetely worth it for me - I've been working with my trainer (Diane) for awhile and has always helped in keeping the workout fresh.....I never get bored! My trainer has helped with everything from helping me put together an eating plan to helping me work trouble spots....I have such a good time working with her - that is key make sure that they have a similiar personality. I say go for the personal trainer, as long as it isn't too expensive.....my sessions are $50.00 each session but well worth it!

Today was my first race!!! My time for the 5k was 36:26. That makes my pace 11:45. I am so excited.

Great job Maggie - I hope I can do as well with my 5k in May!

Well, today is my rest day....I will be checking in peridocially! tomorrow it is back to the gym/fitness center for me......I also hope to do some Winsor Pilates (although, I really love the Bosu ball workout).....trying to keep the variety in the workout!

Have a great rest of your weekend!

Jodi

Jen117
03-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Maggie - I just wanted to say.... YAHHH on your 5K! You did fabulous and had a great time. My first 5K is May 6. It's called the Doggy Dash. After the timed run, there is a 5K and 1 mile fun run with Family and Dogs. My kids are so excited, but they just want to run with our dog, they could care less about my conquering my first big goal! I just want to finish under 45 minutes, but my fear is that I will be dead last and people I know will giggle at me. OH well, at least I can run!!!!

aladdinsgirl
03-19-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a new respect for you walkers, I have no idea how you walk a half or full marathon. Or if you're crazy like Lily or Terri and you walk the Goofy. I wanted to give my knee another week off from running, but I wanted to get my 7 miles in. My brillant idea was to walk the 7 miles. Walking was a very different experience than running, I finished in 1:39 with a pace of 14:14. One thing that I was excited about was I burned 740 calories, I usually burn right around 100 calories a mile, so to burn over 100 calories a mile was very exciting for me. :teeth: This week I'm going to continue cross training, lifting, and walking and then I'm going to run 6 miles on Saturday. Crossing my fingers my knee holds up!! Oh, and Saturday night, I got this really cool book called "Weight Lifting for Runners", it's all about lifting weights for runners--not to bulk up, but to build endurance and speed. The best part about the book--there are detailed pictures of how to correctly lift and stretch. I'm excited to get to the Community Center tomorrow and try some of my new moves. ;)

Cam-- :cheer2: :cheer2: I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!! Your 5K time rocked. I am very proud of you. Tell Howard great job!!

Kim--Welcome! :wave2: I can't believe you did 17.5 miles on the treadmill. That is awesome!! Your story about beating the limping man made me laugh out loud.

Helen--Welcome back!! I'm glad you had a great time in Tokyo. You travel more than any person I know! I wonder where Eeyore was.

Maggie-- :cheer2: :cheer2: on your 5K time!! Great job!

Amy--Glad that you are feeling better. I think you'll definitely hit your goal of sub 10:00 miles before your 5K.

Jackie--Go Duke!!! Let me be honest, I'm not much of a Duke fan anymore, but I used to LOVE Duke. I used to love Bobby Hurley, I hated when he graduated and I was sad that his NBA career didn't work out. When I went to college, I couldn't watch the games in the dorm, so I don't really follow Duke anymore, but I'm still rooting for them and if I happen to catch a game, I definitely watch (and scan the crowd looking for Bobby Hurley :teeth: ).

Dena--Get out there and do your 5K!!! Do not be scared if you are last, at least you had enough guts and courage to get out there and try. Good luck!

Jen-- :cheer2: :cheer2: on running a mile!! Don't you just want to knock out the people who are there wanting to prove something to everyone running and walking too. The Doggy Dash sounds like a lot of fun!! I know my puppy, Hines, would tear it up!!

Mel--Thanks for getting the list together, that had to take a lot of work. Great pace on your 3 miles!!

Jodi--Impressive work out.

Stephen says hi. :wave2: He ran 7 miles today too, we're both training for the Flying Pig 1/2, but we're NOT running it together! :teeth:

Talk to all tomorrow!!

Jen117
03-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Krista - I used to be a walker only, so I can relate how it is hard to keep that pace going. I am impressed you walked that fast for that long!!! My dog is a golden named Sadie. She is a little (a lot) strange. I don't know how my hubby and girls are going to hold her back while I do the 5K timed run. She loves to go on walks!!! She is almost 6 and acts like she is a still a puppy. She just never calmed down!

MelRhoads
03-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Maggie - Congrats!!!!! Great job and good pace!!!

Kim - I've been amazed by the people who do the trails. I ususally come in w/ the 55+ crowds on the trail runs! I'm going to try to do my 1st 50 miler in April (it will likely be my last!!!!!!!) We can switch to the 50k during the race if we don't make the turn around cut offs, so......

Terri - I'm not going to do Goofy again. It wasn't that it was too hard to do again, but it took up so much time and basically 2 whole days away from Phil and the boy. I didn't really like the 1/2 course for the cost of the race either. I'd definitly like to do the full again!!

Rested all day today!!! yea!!!!

MelRhoads
03-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Krista - I'm with you on the walking being hard. I went w/ my neighbor b/c she did not want to run w/ me (she said I was too fast :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao: ). Anyway, I was out of control w/ the garmin. I kept watching it trying to get us in the 13min/mile zone. She wouldn't go w/ me again for a long time b/c she said I killed her :teeth: I actually did it about this time last yr. b/c I was trying to recover from an ankle injury. It ended up that walking hurt my ankle too, so I laid off everything for a week! B/4 i decided to just stop and rest, I did a half w/ the ankle injury! It was really hilly (it's the same one as the full i'm doing next week)

Oh, yeah, I forgot, I'll try to post the race pics if our funny faces turn out good. Last year when we did the 1/2 (EC's husband and I) we tried to look really strong and buff in one of the pictures. We were both posing big time, but did it mutually exclusive of one another. This year, I want to plan the posing, it will give us something to look forward to. We probably will really be the last people on the course. Last year, only 7 women did the full and i would have come in near last w/ my best marathon time.

perfectmatch300
03-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Today was my first race!!! :cool1: My time for the 5k was 36:26. That makes my pace 11:45. :thumbsup2 I am so excited. Oh and I wasn't last! My goal (besides finishing) was to finish in less than 40 minutes. :cool1:

I did r3/w2 intervals. The first mile stunk. I thought I must be insane for signing up for 2 halfs this year. But, by mile 2 I started thinking wow this feels okay. I tried to start enjoying the chicago lakefront view. At mile 3 I could see my husband (finished 29:09) and the finish line and I just started smiling. This felt really good!! :)

I can't believe how much you were all in my thoughts during the race today.
Thanks for the support.
Maggie

Maggie, that was a great time! No way you were going to finish last going at that pace!

Helen, welcome beck. Glad you had a good trip, but the lines sure don't sound like much fun. Guess I am spoiled because I have gotten used to not waiting in lines at WDW.

TnTsParty
03-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Another week!! Ok first IRL my name is Tricia.

Liz - Hope you enjoyed the rest of your bday week.
Jodi - your personal training sounds interesting.
Amy - glad you are feeling better and glad you got a decent run in.
Crzy4Pooh - Wow 2 weekends in a row!! Thats great. Good luck.
Helen - What no Eeyore? How dare they?? Glad you had a nice time in Japan but the lines sound horrible.
Maggie - Congrats on your race and your goal.

I haven't been in the mood to wog lately. But I forced myself Friday, Sat and today. On Friday and Saturday I barely did a mile (actually yesterday I turned around early so I didn't even do a mile) Today I got in a mile but I didn't time myself so I don't know how good it was. I need to start doing 3 miles since my first 5k is in less than 20 days. I really need to do some strength training for my knees since they are starting to bother me. Does anyone have a good strength training tips for knees?

Mouse Skywalker
03-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Good Morning Everyone: :surfweb:

Wow, I had a busy schedule yesterday - lots of events for everyone to go to including a b-day party for each princess to attend. I squeezed in a run outside on the roads and did 2.7 miles in 33 min with my warmup and cool down. It wasn't as far as I wanted to go, but I simply didn't have any more time. I'm taking a rest day today.

Mel - good luck in your training for the Minnie. That's great that your DD13 could run with you.

Jodi - you have been having great workouts! :thumbsup2 You have convinced me I need to schedule something with a personal trainer at my gym.

AmyBeth - Glad you are feeling better. Wow, your pace for 3 miles is impressive especially since you are recovering from being sick.

crzy4pooh :welcome: Good luck with training for the Minnie and Danskin tri.
Originally posted by RunningLilo: Dave- How was your learning to run group? That's a step I haven't had the courage to take yet. I would love to join up with a running club, but I'm so freaking shy. I'm so proud of you for going. Thanks Dena - you're so kind. My group run on Saturday was great. I ran 2 miles at 10mpm pace with a group of about 4 or 5 at the same pace. It was nice to have the group to run with, and everyone was so very, very friendly. You should definitely run your 5K. Who cares if you are last. You are doing this for YOU, and that's the important part. Even if you are last, you are ahead of where you would be if you were not running. You should be proud of yourself. When I started my group run on Saturday for the AP Learn to Run program everyone took off and I was dead last, but I was fine with it because I was out there running. Just enjoy yourself - you'll be great!

Jen - Yahoo! on your 1 mile run! :woohoo: That is awesome!! My plan is that I'm training for the full marathon in January, but I still haven't told my family of my plans. :blush:

Kim - wow, 17.5 on the treadmill! Ouch, that's rough. I don't know if I could have done it. I ran outside yesterday, and it was cold and blustery. But I found I warmed up pretty fast once I started running. Where in Upstate NY are you? Maybe we could meet up for a race sometime.
Originally posted by perfectmatch300: Dave Great pace on your runs! You're already at a 10 min mile! Glad your training group went well. Sounds like you were right to move to the advanced group. Thanks Nancy! Great job on your swimming and biking. Are you training for a tri? I can't remember.

Welcome Back Helen :wave2: - I'd love to hear more about your trip to Japan if you have time to share. How was the rest of the experience?

Yeah Maggie!!!! :banana: :cool1: :banana: WTG on your race. That is great! You rock! Keep up the good work! That was a fantastic pace too. You should be really proud of yourself.

Krista - more :wizard: :wizard: for your knee. I hope your recovery goes well so you're ready for the Flying Pig. Oh, that reminded me someone in my running group on Saturday was wearing socks with pigs with wings on them. I was thinking of you.

Hi TnTsParty/Tricia :wave2: - good for you for getting out there on Fri, Sat, and Sun when you weren't in the mood. That really says a lot for your committment. For me that was always the hardest part - getting out there when I didn't feel like it at all. Don't worry about your time, the important part was you were out there. Good for you! :thumbsup2

lizdotcom99
03-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Good Morning!!

Hard to beleive it is already Monday....where did the weekend go? I have had the best birthday ever...and to think I was dreading 40. Friday, which was my actual birthday, was a quiet evening with Greg and Barkley. Very nice and the cake htey got me was yuumy!! Saturday we thought it would be fun to head into the city and try our hand at the Wicked lottery, lose and them go to lunch. As luck would have it...we actually won the lottery! We got 2 front row center tickets for $50! It was an awesome show and so much fun. Yesterday, the dogcatcher and her hubby came over. We started out in Chicago with a couple of my friends and had brunch at the *****ula. Is it too early to start carb loading for our race on the 1 of April? I think I did a good job of that yesterday!! After brunch we hit Michigan Avenue and walked and walked and walked!! I think we got a good amount of steps in. We went and hung out in Millenium Park for a bit then headed for the track back. I think between actual walking and shopping...we got a good 4 miles in. It was such fun. After a long but fun day, it was time to head home...but beleive it or not, we were hungry. SO Lily, Ted, Greg and I stopped and had a yummy pizza for dinner. All in all a great day! I think I am meeting up with Lily and Ted this morning for breakfast and then to wish them farewell and safe travels. We talked about going for a nice long walk today...Lily really wants to see the coyote...but it is freezing and VERY windy here. Not sure we really want to go coyote hunting today. Regardless, I am gonna go to the mall and get my steps in. We have another house showing today!! This is getting old quick...but I am hoping we can sell soon...I think.....we don't even break ground until the 27th on our new house. Anyway that is the news here.

Dave, sounds like you had a busy day! Good for you for getting out there regardless of what was going on.

Tricia, way to go on getting out there when you don't feel like it! I stuggle with that a lot!! Way to go!!

Hey Nancy! How are things with you? How is the training going? Hope all is well!

MelR, we were talking about you yesterday :teeth: One of the people we were with would LOVE to do your adventure racing stuff. You amaze me. I can't even imagine what a race for you is like. You are one :crazy: lady!!

Jen, when is your 5K? Good luck! Hope they can keep your puppy off the course....amazing how strong those animals can be when they need to be!!

Cingoutload
03-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Good morning from Atlanta!

confessional..... I haven't excerscised in three days... Did 3.5 miles at 17mph on Thur, but we were too slammed with house stuff all weekend. Went and bought new laminate floors - redid the garage ... blah blah....

So - tonight we have a 3.5 mile goal... I put together a crock pot meal last night to cook all day today with the intent of leaving my schedule COMPLETELY open for wogging.... (Don't you just love coming home to a crock pot meal - the house smells fabulous and you have nothing to do, but eat!)

See ya later! Dawn

solotraveler
03-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Good morning all!!

Liz- I was remiss in wishing you a Happy Birthday before, so this is a bit late, but Happy Birthday!

Congrats to everyone on their fantastic races this weekend!! It sounds like everyone has done quite well!

Helen- Welcome back!! Interesting to hear your take on Tokyo Disney... I have plans to head to do two weeks in Japan in the spring of 2008, so it's good to hear reports. Note to self: in Japan lines are good things, plan an extra Tokyo Disneyland day.

My running has been in the tank lately. :guilty: I had fully intended to get a 10K this weekend but of course that didn't happen. I was going to run this morning to make up for it... I even went to bed at 9:30.... but no. My cross training and weight lifting have been going great, though. I'm going to try and get out of here at a decent time and get it in tonight. :wizard:

I really wish it were June already...and not just because I am sick of 30 degree temps in mid-March. Every weekend between now and May 15th is booked. I'm either out of town or working or working out of town or studying for finals. (Oh and a 5K on April 30...) :guilty: The remainder of May is totally up in the air... just depends on who is doing what. (Sigh) I have got to get better at juggling I guess. This whole marathon running thing while i full time student with a (very) full time job is new to me. I have no idea how you folks with kids do it.... (ok, Pity Party over)

Happy training all!
Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

Honeibee
03-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Good morning everyone! :sunny:

I went to the doctor on Friday and apaprently I either have an inner ear issue...or something else. I am scheduled for an MRI of my brain and neck on the 28th. Until then I am on two kinds of meds, one for the dizzyness, which makes me more dopey then usual. :upsidedow

So I didn't do my LW yesterday. But I did do my usual 45 @ 3.8 @ 1% this morning. :thumbsup2

Finally stopping by that "Kilometers" store I wanted to check out. It's a very very tiny store, but they seem to have a lot of nice running clothes. Naturally my eye was drawn to a lime green outfit. :p

I did however get some info on a local event April 2. A Half and a 5K. Being inspired by Cam yet again, I might sign up for it. :yay:

BTW, Cam, EXCELLENT! on your 5K. I am very proud of you. You go girl! :cheer2:

Mel, thanks for the IRL/Location list! :goodvibes

Helen - Welcome back! :wave2:

Judy

MelRhoads
03-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Judy - sorry about your ear issues! I hope you are able to get them resloved soon! That would be very awesome if you signed up for the 5K. I always feel like such a strong woman when I do something new all on my own!

Kevin - It's raining and in the 30's here too :guilty: I think it is b/c it is spring break.

Liz - that is so cool that you have a friend interested in adventure racing. It is really fun. I like it b/c of the variety of activity and that it challenges me mentally and physically. There are several web sites w/ racing schedules on them. I know there are some really good one's in the Chicago area. I think nationals were in IL 2 yrs ago. Have your friend check into the wild onion. I think that is a chicago race and there is a shorter distance one called the scallion (i think)

I just did a 3 mile TM run. I actually had to stop for a bathroom break and slowed down my pace for about .75 miles to take a phone call from my MIL. It's not good to have a conversation w/ your MIL when you are panting!!!! :teeth: :teeth:

I have a babysitter arranged for Wednesday morning so we can practice some more navigation. We will probably cover about 6-7 miles of hilly wooded terrain (no trails) That is going to be my last big workout b/4 hogeye.

AmyBeth68
03-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Happy Spring! :sunny: Now if only it felt like spring :rolleyes: . Here's to warmer days ahead!

Did my KBX class today. We did lots of upper body work and abs...body bar, push-ups etc. The cardio was too intense for me today....still in bronchitis recovery mode and I just wasn't quite up to snuff for this class. But I did manage to make it through...did things at a lower cardio level so I wouldn't pass out. :teeth: All in all I'm just happy I got out there! Tomorrow I'll run again...as long as I continue to feel good.

Mel: That adventure racing sounds like so much fun to me. But of course it also sounds brutally hard! You guys have me scared about my trail run in June....if all you experienced runners find it difficult, and slower, where will that leave me LOL! Hopefully I'll make it out of the woods before dark! ;)

Cam: CONGRATS on the 5K!!!! WTG!!! :banana:

Judy: :grouphug: Sending Pixie Dust that they figure out your ear problem :(. I give you so much credit...you've continued to exercise through the dizziness. You are one tough girl!!!

Kevin: WTG on the x-training. I'm sure once things settle down you'll get back into the running routine. At least your still exercising and building all those core muscles with the xt!

Dawn: Sounds like you got a workout doing all the house stuff. I just count that as cross-training LOL! Have a great run tonight!!! And I'm with ya'...those crock-pot meals are the best during the week! LOVE coming home to the smell of food cooking in the house :) .

Liz: I'm so glad you had an awesome birthday weekend!! :goodvibes It really seems like you had a wonderful time!!!!

Dave: Your run with the running group sounds great!! Awesome pace! And boy can I relate to that busy weekend! Seems like the girls are going to b'day parties left and right :). We had one of those weekends too! But heck...you got out there. 2.7 is great!

Tricia: ITA w/ Dave....you got out there and that is the most important thing! Don't worry about how long or far...you managed to exercise when you really didn't want to. That is a great sign of commitment. Keep it up, you're doing great :thumbsup2 .

Krista: Wow! LONG walk....great pace!!! Sounds like you got a great workout and burned loads of calories!

Tiff: Take care of yourself!!! Strep is nothing to mess with :(....hope you're feeling 100% better soon!!!!!

Dena: :grouphug: You just HAVE to run that 5K on 4/22. Honestly, don't worry about when you finish! The fact that you get out there and give it your best is all that matters!!! I really think you should do it....besides you are my running partner in spirit that day :goodvibes . Please don't worry about your time...you're doing really great!!!

Papa Deuce
03-20-2006, 11:07 AM
I wish I could tell you that I was coming along nicely in training but I can't. I'm now in day 5 of bring down and out with bronchitis and sinus problems. I'm on 3 medications. The best I can hope for is to go take a walk later today.

I am getting better, but at the rate I am progressing, I can't see me jogging until at least Saturday at the earliest.

This stinks, especially since I was so pumped up about getting started.

MelRhoads
03-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Amy - don't worry about your trail run! I may be "experienced" but I'm very slow both on the road and trail. I am slower on the trails though. I trail at about 10:30 to 11:00 on my long runs (and appearantly marathons) and about 13:00 to 13:30 on the trail. If you like to get dirty, you'd probably love the adventure races. To be able to do them, you basically have to be stubborn!!!! If you have that "quality" you'd be GREAT at it. Many times about 1/2 the teams DNF. Some of the race directors set up the race to allow teams to reroute for a time penalty to get from the start to finish line.

Dena - I thought you would appreciate this story (it relates to finishing last). I called to see about getting a hotel room at the race start for the night of the race. I checked on late checkout b/c I wanted to take a shower after the race. They told me late checkout is a 1pm and they weren't flexible about the time. Talk about closing the course, I can't even get the hotel which is one of the race sponsors to let me keep a room long enough to take a shower!

donac
03-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I posted a couple of weeks ago that I don't think that I will make the 2007. I am hoping to prove myself to my husband by doing a half next APril here in NJ. Maybe if he sees that I am serious he will consider the DW half in 2008. My older son also will be going back to school this September and we need the money for tuition.

I will be lurking and watching with envy as all of you get ready for this 2007 journey and waiting until it is my turn.

Right now I am training to train. I am trying to lose weight and getting used to walking again (held off for a while because of bone spurs atatched to the Achille's tendon). I am up to an 18.5 minute mile and it keeps getting better every time I walk. I don't want to go out too fast because I have already had problems with my shins and I don't want any problems with those.

Good luck to everyone here and I will be watching.

MelRhoads
03-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Dona - Stick around. You don't have to be doing the DW 1/2 or full to post here!

aladdinsgirl
03-20-2006, 01:47 PM
We're all friends here, right? So I can be blunt for a second? Because I have got to tell you, my booty hurts REAL bad!! I'm assuming walking must either work a different set of muscles then running, or it works them slower because I have never had this problem before. This is not a pleasant feeling--I feel like Melissa!! :lmao:

Amy--I know what you mean about spring, it's really cold here today and we're supposed to get an ice and snow storm tomorrow. What is up with that?? Don't push yourself too hard tomorrow, if you start coughing or feel burning in your chest, stop!!

Dona--Don't worry, you'll be out there doing marathons before you know it. Just keep working at it, you're on the right track.

Melissa--Is this weekend your "training run"? Are you part of the marathon a month club? :teeth: Sorry the weather is so yucky for the boy's spring break. Hopefully it'll warm up for you.

Dave--I'm still working on that Terrible Towel therapy, seems to be working!! Did you hear we lost Chris Hope? That's 3 key players in a week. But on the good side, Deshea Townsend resigned. Congrats on your running group. That must be such a wonderful support group.

Judy-- :wizard: :wizard: hope you are feeling better soon!!

Jen--So, you're telling me I have at least 5 more years of puppydom? I have a 11-month old black lab. He is a good dog, but VERY much a puppy.

Kevin--How do you stay sane when you are so busy? What are you getting your degree in? Is your master's or bachelor's? Good luck with not going off the deep end!!

Liz--Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. I'm jealous that you got to see Wicked. I'm a big Broadway buff, my favorite is Phantom of the Opera and Evita. Can you tell I really like Andrew Lloyd Weber? Did you and Lily go coyote hunting today?

I better get back to work, I'm just here taking a break!

Hockeychic
03-20-2006, 02:41 PM
I have to catch up on all the posts....wow!!!!

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!!

I have a question, I have looked all through the internet and can not find out what my problem is. At the beginning of my walks I get terrible pain in the front of my shins....I have read up on shin splints but apparently then the pain would be inside the shin, this seems to be the shin it self??? Has anyone ever had that?? It last for about the first mile and a half.

I am just in the beginning of my training and have not progressed to running or even really jogging yet, just increasing my speed with my walking....

Help please????

Thanks

Kim

kareneast
03-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome! Hope everyone had a good weekend! :wave:

To all those injured, bruised and/or sick…. pixiedust:

To those dealing with teenagers…. :grouphug: pixiedust: DS(19) has been a pretty good teenager & is turning into a pretty good young adult, but he has had & sometimes still has his moments.

Tricia – I am so very sorry about your cat. :grouphug:

Judy – I’m with you on doing the distance before the race. I figure I will be nervous enough at the start of the 2007 Half, I don’t want to be stressing about whether or not I can make it or not…I too want to KNOW I can make it.

To those have been posting their workouts…GREAT JOB I love reading about everyones workouts. It really helps me stay motivated. You are all a huge inspiration!

Cam & Maggie – Congratulations on your 5K !!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Last week I did 4 days (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) on the treadmill. Walked 3min 45sec at 3.7mph (16:12mpm) Ran 1min 15sec at 5.0mph (12:00mpm) for 30min plus a 5min warm-up & cool-down. Saturday we (myself, DH, DS & DSGF) went for a 5 mile bike ride around the reservoir. I haven’t biked in years….took it real slow & made a few stops, especially after some of the hills. LOL. Today I decided to do something different. On the treadmill I did 5min at 3.7mph (16:12mpm), 5min at 3.8mph (15:47mpm), 5min at 3.9mph (15:23mpm), 5min at 4.0mph (15:00mpm) all at a 2% incline, plus a 5min warm-up & cool-down. Then I did some exercises with resistance bands & a lot of stretching.

Jen117
03-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Krista, My dog is a little strange. I was told that after 3 years she would settle down. It's not like she is rambunctous like a puppy, she is just into everything and full of energy. At least she stopped chewing on the walls!! :rotfl2: She is not the greatest running partner because she likes to go go go... but I guess at 70 pounds, she can pull me along if she wants!

solotraveler
03-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Well, it's official.....

I'm officially ROOS ....

Really Out Of Shape!

I got home and dutifully set out for my 10K. Stratch that... 5K. I finished in 28:55, or 9:20/mile pace, so that part I'm very happy with. What I'm not so happy with is the fact that I am WHIPPED. Boy howdy am I out of shape!! I just ran a marathon two months ago, right? I mean, that wasn't just a figment of my imagination..... right?

AmyBeth-- Thank you for reminding me that even when I'm crosstraining, I'm doing something. I tend to forget that right now what I need to be doing is getting in the best possible shape before crazy training starts. I think I forget that when I'm not running regularly.

Papa-- Get well sooon. Definately a good idea to take time off when you are really sick. Don't get discouraged... get right back on the wagon when you start to feel better.

Kim-- Sounds like shin splints to me. So long as your shoes are fitting you well, the only advice I would give you is to make sure and stretch that muscle well prior to running and then ice afterwards if you have any lingering pain. If it persists, I might consider seeing an athletic trainer or doc, just to make sure you don't have something that'll sideline you longer term.

Krista-- I have no idea how I stay sane. I think it's a combination of factors-- I let myself relax when I need to, I'm scheduled within an inch of my life and I let things slip a little. I'm working on trying to eliminate that last one. it's taken some time to get back into the routine with school, since it had been so long.

I am finishing my bachelor's degree in Psychology and I hope to go to graduate school and eventually work in a clinical setting. Going back to school was one of those "marathon side effects." I wish I could explain it to other people well, but one of the bonuses of training for the marathon is this bizzare (sometimes unfounded) self-confidence. Prior to really starting training for '06, I honestly never EVER finished anything.... and that was true for school too. Sometime in mid-October I just decided it was time--- and I was going to go back on my terms and study what I wanted to. I attend the University I work for, so work being supportive was not an issue. So when my advisor marveled at my midsemester grades when we met last week, she asked what made the difference this time, I said "I ran a marathon." I guess for me, it taught me how much I could accomplish if I put my heart and mind into something.

Ok, off my soapbox---
Happy training!

Papa Deuce
03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Oh, one thing I did do today, was buy "Marathoning for Mortals" and A book on running by Runner's world.

I guess if I can't actually run, at leastI can read about how to approach it correctly.

MelRhoads
03-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Kevin - I totally had that post-marathon invincibility thing going on too! Now I'm signed up for the 50miler :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Forget post race massage, we needed post race counseling!!! I'm so pathetic I can't let go. Since goofy, I've done a 50k and another marathon and am doing the one this weekend. So sad :confused3

Tiger Lily 03
03-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Speaking of the dogcatcher.......she is on her way to my house at this very moment!!!! :thumbsup2

See what happens when you DON'T put the steps in? :lmao:
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I found her.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/pf0bc768eb1bf98db6225e55a39d243d4/efc43e5f.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/pe8a4080d3b3a37f7f0a7b191a1cc99bc/efc43e5e.jpg

A great time was had by all for sure. We were quite tired after putting in all those steps and now it will take me a few days to get back to "normal" whatever that is.

Papa, good book. Get well. Don't give up.

Whoever spoke of being last. Don't worry about that. Be proud you are out there and doing it. I've been last whilst walking with a friend. It was fantastic!

Happy training everyone.

Welcome new WISH Team members! You will absolutely love it here.

MelRhoads
03-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Lily - Great pics. I'm so glad you posted them!!!!

Liz - You look great! I love the b/day cake picture!!!

MouseDogMom
03-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Jen - Wow! Great mile run on the track!

Maggie - Congratulations on your 5K - that's a great time. Hope my first is that good!

Judy - Hope your ear problem gets diagnosed and healed soon.

Krista - My vet told me to expect puppy behavior for about 2 1/2 years, and that's about the time my lab/chow finally settled down and started acting like a dog! And I LOVED Bobby Hurley - Duke's new point guard, Greg Paulus, reminds me a little of him and it's fun to watch him play.

I need real spring weather, and fast. It's cold and raining, and tomorrow is supposed to be a total rainout, and I don't have a treadmill or a gym, and I need to be able to get outside to run. Friday night was my last run, and it looks like Wednesday will be the next decent day. Even though I'm a newbie, I already get grouchy when I can't run!

Jackie

icunurse_celeste
03-20-2006, 09:03 PM

Maggie

Congrats Maggie! Which race did you run? The reason I ask is that I thought you were doing the Shamrock Shuffle which is this coming Sunday. Did you do the St. Paddy's Day Run at Diversey harbor? If so, I was there and walked the course.

Your pace was really good! Congrats.

TEK224
03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Hope everyone had a good weekend and wishes for a good upcoming week.

:wizard: for those fighting through colds/injuries.

Don't think I'll be checking in much the rest of the week. Have a real busy week at work and then will be leaving to visit family in Texas.

Will try to get my steps in somehow and will check in when I get back.

Work hard, play hard, train hard!

Terri

lizdotcom99
03-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Just had to share my good news.....our house was put on the market Sturday morning.....we had a showing Sunday morning and then another tonight. We got two offers....and our house is SOLD!!! We will close on the 28th of April.

Also, not sure if I mentioned the job that I really wanted that I came in second place for....well the first place person didn't work out....I start my new job Monday!!!! I go and get my physical tomorrow....and will start first thing Monday morning. :thumbsup2

I am a HAPPY girl but exhaused from the weekend and the whirlwind of emotions..... :banana:

Oh and one last thing before I crash...have I mention that I am pooped? About my abrupt post this morning. I had this funny little feeling that I should do a 2 part post...so I posted part one and then went on to compose part two...we guess when the post monter decided to visit...part two...and that was longer than part one. So, happy thoughts to those who were mentioned in part two but will never know it :rolleyes2 I really did addrss everyone.

I will have to try again tomorrow cause I am too pooped to pop!

:wave2:

jodistar
03-21-2006, 04:48 AM
Morning Everyone,

Just a quick post for now - last night I did some treadmill work, ran/walked 3 miles: for 5 minutes I walked at 3.7 and for 30 minutes I ran at a speed of 5.3 - my DH said that it was a 11.41 min/mile. Woo hoo - I finally broke the average of the 12 min/mile (not by much but I did it!).

I still can't wait to start running with the Garmin (I should be receiving it tomorrow). All of you have talked about it so positively - I just can't wait to see how I improve with that. I have to get more used to running on pavement. It is a little bit harder so I doubt that I would be able to keep it under a 12 min/mile but that just gives me something to work at.

I just hope that I do well at my upcoming races/walks. I have the MS walk on the 23th and then a breast cancer 5k on Mother's Day weekend - I'm a little nervous about the 5k - but no use in worrying about something that is 2 months away.

Okay - I have to and check everyone's posts......I will be back later! Have a good day everyone,

Jodi

magslite
03-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Congrats Maggie! Which race did you run? The reason I ask is that I thought you were doing the Shamrock Shuffle which is this coming Sunday. Did you do the St. Paddy's Day Run at Diversey harbor? If so, I was there and walked the course.

Your pace was really good! Congrats.

Celeste - I realize that i got the two races mixed up! Oh shoot, you were there and we didn't even meet. Bummer. Did you have fun? It was a beautiful day outside for March.

WISH TEAM - thanks to all of you for the congrats. I will try to catch up with everybody soon. Things just move to fast around here to keep up.

Cam - I hope things are getting better/calming down with your dd, your internet story sounds very similar to what we went through with our dd.

Puppy stories - I have heard that most puppies calm down after about 2 years or so, but the only thing that worked for us was getting a 2nd dog. Now they have each other to keep them busy. However, when it is yucky outside I sometimes wonder what I was thinking as I am wiping 8 paws. :)

Accountability - I went to the gym yesterday, and asked to be shown how to use the rowing machine. It was fun, I only did it for 10 minutes and then switched to the bike and biked 7 miles. If they have room in the babysitting area, I will go back and row longer today. Then maybe walk a little.

Here is to a great day :wizard:
Maggie

aladdinsgirl
03-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Does driving 15 miles in an hour and 10 minutes count as cross training? We're getting a snow storm right now, it started right around 7:00 this morning and it took me an hour and 10 minutes to drive the 15 miles to work. My knee is sore from riding my brakes--I hope I don't have to take another week off!! :teeth: I had another great workout last night, I did the bike for 30 minutes, keeping my rpm's 80-85, that was great because it worked out the soreness in my booty! After the bike, I did my usual leg presses and leg extensions. I was irritated with all the teenage boys in the weight room, I didn't get to do any of my arm weights because they were lifting barbells on the benches. Okay, fine, but then they would lay the barbells down on the benches and stand and talk. :rolleyes: I finally just left because I was tired of waiting around. When I got home, I did 4 different ab exercises (my legs are in okay shape, my abs--not so much) and then I stretched all my muscles. Stretching felt REALLY good. I think today I'm going to walk 3 miles on the treadmill, I'll walk 3 miles on Thursday, and hopefully by Saturday I'll be good to run. Crossing my fingers!!

Liz--That is wonderful about your new job! What will you be doing? I can't believe your house sold so fast. You must have a beautiful home for it go off the market that quickly. You are building your next house, right? When will that be finished?

Kevin--Good for you for going back to school and finishing your degree. No wonder you are busy all the time, between working full time, getting your degree, and training for marathons. Do you work year round or do you get summers off?

Jen, Maggie, and Jackie--Thanks for the dog advice! We've had Hines in obedience school since August (when he was 4 months old) and personal protection since December. He has calmed down quite a bit, but he still reverts to his puppy ways sometimes, like getting on the couch and jumping on people. I think our next major purchase for him is a shock collar. :teeth:

Carrie and Sunny--Are you around? Are you just busy?

I better get back to work. Talk to you all later!!

wtpclc
03-21-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm here. I'm a slug, but I'm here. Last week was a loss due to work, but I was going to jump back on the wagon Saturday. Nope, nasty cold/flu thing oging on. :( I HAVE to get back this week or I start losing muscle. I had to sit down twice while getting ready this morning. Running tonight will not likely happen.

Kevin - Yes, the marthon gives us amazing confidence. I'm glad it got you going again. :wizard: For the long road ahead.

Cam & Howard - WTG on the PRs!

Maggie - WTG on getting that first one under you belt!

Liz - Grrrr... I'm on teh other side of the state the weekend of the 22nd. It's a birthday party, but will be more like a family reunion for us too.

Well, back to work. I may have another emergency project keeping me away again.

andromedaslove
03-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Ok, I am just popping in to post my run for yesterday, but I promise I will come back when I get back to the gym and catch up with everyone.

Yesterday I ran 3 miles in 29m10s. Not half bad. I have had a bit of pain in my shin/claf area, but I think it is a muscle. It started after my 4 miler on Friday. I could jump up and down on it and it didn't hurt, but when I walked and my leg moved a certain way it did. So yesterday I just ran through it, luckily it doesn't hurt anymore today. Here's to hoping that it stays gone!!

Today I am going to the gym with my Mom. I have some strength training to do, and my Mom wants to start the Couch to 5k, so I will wog with her when I am done. She had a gastric bypass a year and a half ago and has gone from almost 300 lbs to 165, I am so excited for her. She has said that if she can get the hang of this running thing, then maybe 2008 she will run the half marathon!!

Anyway, I am rambling and should be heading out the door. So I will catch up with all of you later.

Take Care,
Dana

solotraveler
03-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Yippee!!!

I lucked out and don't have to fly down to Arkansas until Friday morning. I really need the extra time to get some other things taken care of, so I'm pleased.

I got my crosstraining in this morning-- weightlifting, 10 minutes on the stationary bike and 20 minutes on the Versaclimber (ugh). I'm a little stiff from weights yesterday, but my legs feel fien after running, which is a good sign.

Mel- 50 miler?? :crazy: Noooooooooo thank you.

Jackie-- FOR SHAME! I can't believe you used the D-word on this board!! :mad: (A little joke... big time Maryland fan here..... pirate: )

Krista-- I work year-round, though some times are busier than others. May through July tends to slow down a lot, while mid-August through December is nuts. Luckily I've been here almost five years so I've learned all the tricks to get stuff done faster.

Carrie-- :wizard: Feel better soon! That cold/flu thing swept through here a couple weeks ago and we all had it for a while. :(

OK, back to work-
Happy training all!

aladdinsgirl
03-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Carrie--Sorry that you are sick and feeling blah. :wizard: feel better soon!!

wtpclc
03-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks Krista & Kevin!

Sorry about the whining. I am a bad sick person. Plus, I've been looking forward to this weekend and gettign away with a good friend for months. I have to get better!

Also, forgot to say:

Welcome back Helen!!!

icunurse_celeste
03-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Maggie- yes, I had a good time. I walked it and it was the first time I used my Garmin forerunner- what a great device! Don't worry about not meeting me- I had not even showered that morning so you weren't missing much! I'm sure we can meet another time. I was hoping to walk outside again today- but it is a little to windy and cold for me.

Liz- congrats on selling your house!

Everyone have a great day!
Celeste

lizdotcom99
03-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Whew...I can finally catch a breather....at least for a moment. It has been a CRAZY week. I have a few errands to run this morning, have to go and fill out employment paperwork and get a physical and then I think I am going to do a little clothes shopping and just get a few new things for work. I think while I am at the mall, I will get a few miles in as well as the weather is really crappy here today!!

Krista, our new home is not even started yet! They are breaking ground on Monday..and have told us it will take about 4 months to build. We will be homeless for a little while...but we knew that was a chance we would be taking. We thought it better to be homeless than to have to pay on two mortgages. We NEVER thought we would sell this quickly though. Sorry about your travel woes this morning! I am hoping we are through with the "S" word here!

Carrie, too bad you wil be on teh other side of the world! One of these days we are going to have to hook up! We are jsut too close...and next time Lily is in town...she will have to give us better notice and maybe we could meet halfway somewhere.

Maggie, WTG on being accountable and getting to the gym. I need to work on my accountibility a bit myself....think the dogcatcher will come a little more often?

Jodi, you will LOVE your Garmin!! SOunds like your workouts are going great! Keep up the good work!

Terri, enjoy your family visit! Where in Texas are you headed! Hope it is nice and warm for you!!

Celeste, too bad you and Maggie missed meeting eachother...I wish we knew you were racing too!! I would have loved to stop by to say :wave2: August is not that far away.....can't wait til then!!

Jackie, I too am ready for spring...what happend to all the pretty weather? Hope things are getting better with you. You have been on my thoughts!!

MelR, thanks for saying I look great! You are too kind. I have to admit I was just glowing though....I have to be the luckiest girl in the world. It was such a thrill to be around GREAT friends for a day that I was dreading. I really was expecting the worst for the big 40.. I have such a hard time dealing with those monumental birthdays. I have to say though...40 is great! I never thought those words would come out of my mouth!! Of course it was not the day or the number that made the day...it was the sincere well wishes and company of the great friends that I have that made this such a special day..and weekend. I am so proud to have the friends that I have. I lvoe them dearly!! Thanks for the info on the onion...I will have Kathy look into that!

Lily, come back! I miss you!! :grouphug:

Papa, you have some great reading material there! Enjoy!! Good luck on getting out there too....slow and steady wins the race. You can do this...one step at a time!

Kevin, you really like to keep busy!! Good luck with all of that....If you are ROOS...I have to wonder what I am :lmao: I don't think there is or should be an acronym for that :rotfl2: Good luck with all you have to do. I got tired just reading about that!!

Well, that is all I have time for now....off to get some new clothes for work...don't need much, but a new blouse of two might just do it for me.

Have a great day and keep warm. I am not sure where spring sprung too!!!

:cool1:

Papa Deuce
03-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Still totally congested, but otherwise I feel OK, not great. I did "run" today..... got in my 300 feet + or -....... and I started reading the books last night.

Minnie
03-21-2006, 10:35 AM
I am breaking in from my self imposed lurker status (u guessed it still no exercise to report) for this:

Solo - From one adult college student to another - YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!! Last summer after many wrong turns and stops and starts I finished my BS in accounting at the age of 30. I am now a 31 year old Masters student (MBA program) and should have this completed by the end of next year. I wish you the absolute best in juggling work and school. I am a single parent, work full-time, and are going to school full-time and I know just how tough it can be. But it is SO WORTH IT!!!!!!!! Good luck :cheer2: :cheer2:

aladdinsgirl - I did the same thing you did this morning. My normally 45 minute drive turned into over 1 1/2 hours. We got a ton of this white stuff. Where of where did Spring go :confused3

To everyone else :wizard: for all those that are sick or dealing with life's problems :grouphug:

Hope everyone is doing well!!

lilouisianagal
03-21-2006, 11:23 AM
I return! I still need to get caught up on reading last week's posts b/c I stopped about midweek. oops!

Mel: Thanks for the screenname/name/location list! It's very helpful.

Dena: I definitely think you should run--even if you are last. It's not how you do compared to the other people, it's how you do compared to your personal goals. That being said I think the "THE END" idea is hilarious and I think you should do it!

Jen: :cheer2: for your mile! The doggie dash sounds fun! How long is the dogs' part of it?

Terri: :goofy: I think you should DO IT. :rolleyes: or of course I just want moral support for my first Marathon/Goofy.

Helen: Welcome back! That's so cool that you got to go to DisneySea. Did you take lots of pictures? Was doing DL there like being in a funky demension?

Maggie: :cheer2: on your 5K! And our second dog definitely calmed down out hyper lab.

Melissa: I had to reread your post a couple of times to make sure I read those numbers correctly. 50 MILES??? or "only a 50K"??? wow you inspire me. :worship: What exactly is an adventures race?

Krista: :rotfl: Yes, I agree that walking definitely works some different muscle groups than jogging/running does. If I go at a good walk pace (~14 mpm for me) for my long I am always at least a little sore from it,, but when I jog some or all of it I rarely am. A phenomenon that only crazy psycho people like us would discover! :ssst: :crazy: And our black lab (girl) settled down when she was around 3 years old, though she can still move it when she wants to!

Kim: That sounds like what I got last spring when I tried to start running. I don't know if it is shin spints or not but here are some things that helped:
1. get good running shoes that fit you
2. rest (and ice if needed/helpful)
3. take your time
4. cross train to work other muscles but still get a workout
5. stretch
6. strengthen your shins
7. when you are walking be sure that you aren't overstriding. This made the biggest difference for me. I had always been told that I just needed to take bigger steps if I wanted to go faster (this was when I was training to go hiking at Philmont for Boy Scouts [yes I'm a girl- it was a co-ed explorers troop]). This year I started looking at some stuff on Race Walking and they talk about proper form. I would suggest that you look into that. I think the link is on the first page. The gist of it is that the further that you pull your legs out in front of you for your footstrike, the more you are actually braking, and therefore putting stress on your shins with every step. Instead, let your power come from your push-off in the back. Don't worry about how long your stride is, just try to keep good form and a good tempo (about 70 strides per minute for a walk pace), your stride will lengthen as your muscle and power develop.
Just a note: I still get pains in my shins occasionally. I've found this happens if I am in a hurry to get to class and am wearing flip flops. Ouch!

Kevin: If that's outta shape, then I wanna be outta shape! Sub 10 pace on a 5K sounds peachy to me. *starts singing* imAGination imAGination ....darn you Kevin :figment: and I've also found that even just starting to train for a marathon has made me a much more disciplined person all around (...thats why I'm posting here instead of doing schoolwork right??? pirate: )

Papa Deuce: I just read MfM also and it's a great book. I think you will also find that it will helping in walking, not just running; plus it will help you make the transition safely from one to the other. I learned a ton from reading it.

Lily: What is that delectable looking pineapple looking birthday dessert???

Carrie: pixiedust: get some rest and get to feeling better soon

Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes! On my b-day, I went to Olive Garden with a friend for supper and it was yummy! Friday (day after b-day), my family had a party for me.

My aunt sent me two new workout shirts and a pair of awesome coolmax socks! I'm so psyched b/c one of the shirts is lime green :love: Now I have a shirt to wear for Cresent City Classic, which I have signed up for.

My parents got me a Garmin Forerunner 201 for my birthday. When I got it home I figured out that I would need an extra part to connect it to my laptop *sigh* :sad2: Also, I have finished reading MfM so now I understand why having a heart rate monitor is a good thing. Soooo I ended up sending the 201 back to Amazon and ordering a 301. It actually worked out very well, because my mom also bought me three pairs of Crocs. It was quite sweet b/c growing up she has always been very out of the fashion trends so she was really making an effort here. Anywho, she said I could keep all three or none or my pic. I ended up not keeping any of them b/c I couldnt even sit 5 min in them before my feet were burning up. I'll let someone else carry that trend on. It was about the same amount to upgrade to the 301 as the total of the Crocs, so I didn't feel bad about asking. I did the slow shipping (5-7 days) so that it would be free, so I am waiting anxiously for it to get here.

I also finally got to bring up seriously with my mom doing the WDW marathon weekend. She actually seemed open to it when I presented it as "im either gonna use my money from this summer and go or yall can give it to me as a christmas gift but I want to go up there no matter what." Hopefully, I will be working up there Spring 07 in the College Program so I wont have to worry about park entry, and all I will have to pay for it hotel (either Pop Century or AS Movies), airfare, entry money, and food.

I got my parents to bring up my bike from home when they came, and I have definitely found my new favorite crosstraining activity! I also have started doing the run/walk marathon training from MfM and I am loving the interval training idea!

This morning I went outside to a foggyfoggy day and bleH! It had gotten all chilly again. I really wish the weather would just pick a temp and stick with it grrr. I really really really did not feel like exercising today but luckily I have the Crescent City Classic coming up soon (April 15) and that was a definite modivator. I think I have learned the value of having short term races/goals that I am working toward as well as the big goal (GOOFY!!!). Thus I am really thinking that I am going to do at least two races this summer. The Dallas Cross Country Club has a 4 mile run (June) and a 5K (July) during the summer that I'm thinking would work.

Oh I did 44 min of jog 3/walk 1 this morning, then finished off the 4 mile loop I was on in 55 min.

Have a great day! :disrocks:

AmyBeth68
03-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Did my 30 minute run today. It felt really good and I took one 60 second walk break on a long hill. I can definitely tell that my endurance is getting better and my cardiovascular fitness has improved as well....most of the time I feel like my breathing is very steady and controlled. I wasn't sure of my distance, as it was just a timed run as opposed to distance run today. But I couldn't resist so I checked the distance and turns out I ran 2.9 miles. LOL...SOOOO close to that 3 miles in 30 minutes. Oh well...maybe next time :confused3 . With the walking warm-up/cool-down, stretching and abs I turned in a good 60 minute workout today. :thumbsup2

Helen: Tokyo Disney sounds interesting...although the long lines seem a bit out of hand LOL! Glad you had a nice trip! Welcome back :).

Papa Deuce: Glad you're feeling a little better...but it sounds like you're really fighting this thing off. I finally feel really good today for the first time in a week! Hang in there...and good job getting out there for your run!!

Claire: Congrats on the Forerunner 301! And happy b'day :). Sounds like you made a great choice. I really want one!!! One of these days :rolleyes: . Great job on the 4 mile loop!

Liz: How exciting about your new home and selling your house so quick! AND....the new job?! My goodness...you've had a lot of excitement lately!!!

Carrie: Take care of yourself girl...sounds like you are really under the weather :(. Here's some Get Well Soono Pixie Dust!!! :wizard:

DisneyGirl
03-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi Everyone!!! I'm back from a loooong hiatus (actually have been travelling for work, and overly busy when I was actually home!). I'm proud to say that I have kept up with my running and diet, though, and am getting ready to run the Columbus Classic next week!!

I can't say I've read all of the entries in this thread, but from what I have read, it sounds like everyone is doing great!!! I can't wait to see some of you at a race later this year (or Jan 07!)

icunurse_celeste
03-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Hi Guys,
As one of your friendly disboard nurses- I just thought I would do a quick post about this topic....

As some of you know I am a critical care nurse, working in a neuro-surgical intensive care unit and I am in graduate school. As part of my training I frequently attend conferences. Last year there was a conference held by the American Assoication of Critical Care Nurses (AACN), which is widely held as the "source" for current information and best practice for critical care nursing.

Anyways I was listening to some of the sessions of last years large meeting where they were discussing the effects of exercise on metabolism of medicine. Esp. meds used for blood pressure- beta blockers. Anyways- they stated that the drug companies do not study the effects of exercise and metabolism of medicaitons. Different meds are metabolized through different systems- such as the liver. When you exercise your body shunts the blood away from organs that do not need it during exercise- like the liver. When this happens, it changes the way your body absobs medicaitons and can increase or decrease the amount of medicaiton in your blood stream- and this can lead to problems for some people.

I am going to give the disclaimer that I am NOT a physician- but those of you taking medication may want to discuss if you should take your pills after you exercise or at some other time. Many drug categories including anti-depressants are also changed by exercise.

I'm not claiming to be an expert- but I just thought this was some helpful information that I thought should be shared.

I know there is someone one this board who is in med school- and interested in Ortho. If you would like a copy of this lecture- I will gladly make you a copy and send it to you.

I hope everyone has a great day and a wonderful (and injury free) workout.

MelRhoads
03-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Ahhhh....just woke up from daily nap!!!! Did the dentist thing this morning. I'm getting close to being done w/ all of the big dental issues :cheer2: . Today is phils off clinic day, so we took the boy to the gym and he lifted (phil, not the boy) while I swam and then he got the boy and I played in the pool while phil swam. I got in an easy 1000meters. I think my swimming has gotten easier since goofy, I have only been about 3 times, but it seems less labored and more relaxed.

Amy - You were moving fast!!!!! I'll bet if you were actually running in a 5k race, you would have been sub 10 for sure!

Claire - Thanks! The 50 miler is basically insane! We are planning on just trying to finish in the time cut off. We have done one 50k to train (it didn't have any time cutoff and we got free hotdogs!) My big thing is the adventure races. I actually started running just to improve my physical abilitiy in the adv. races. An adventure race is a multi-sport race, usually trekking, paddling, and mt. biking and some ropes work or team event. You (as part of a co-ed team) must navigate the course by using coordinates given to you by the race director and using a map and compass. The races we have done have ranged from 9 to 25 hours. (I just did a really short one that was 5 though) The team must stay together (w/ in 100ft) of each other at all times and mush check in at each check point together. I race w/ my husband, best friend, her husband and a neighbor. It is really fun. Our team generally excells in the navigation and getting along. I kindof slow us down as far as speed goes (especially on the mt. biking) but it is so much fun. Our team is racing on April 8th (it is a super hard race) but i'm sittingthis one out b/c the last 2 yrs, someone has gotten a snakebite on the course and it creeped me out. Now I'm regretting not signing up though and they already have their team formed :guilty:

Tiger Lily 03
03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi WISH Team!

I am just beginning to read back.

Celeste thanks so much for that post. I am going to discuss this with the doc next week when I get there first out. Maybe that is why my newly subscribed meds may not be working. (Probably not, b/c I am not easily medicated in general.)
:confused3
Everyone who needs, get well. Seems we do have quite a few sickies.

Belated happy birthday to those I missed. Sorry I have no excuse.

MfM readers, I will be meeting up with THE Penguin on the 1st with the others here going to the Columbus Distance Classic. I will send him our regards.
:yay: :worship:
lilouisianagal, you are doing fantastic! I am so proud of your commitment.

Dessert pics?, I am not sure what dessert, surely it was nothing. It was not in front of me. Nope, I can't even begin to tell ya about those absolutely fabulous dessert tarts, key lime, macadamian brownies, coffee chocolate pudding, raspberry/grapefruit/lime smoothie thing, special birthday girl cake...ummm nope, have no idea of what you saw. (and can't even remember all of them there were so many that I ate um I mean saw on that table)

andromedaslove
03-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Hockeychic - I don't know exactly what you mean about the pain beingin the shin or on the shin. I know that sometimes I get shin splints that are actually painful to the touch. Then sometimes my shins hurt, but it feels like it is on the inside. Either way, I still consider them shin splints. The first suggestion I can make is that you might wanna go by a running store in your area, and have them help you pick out a good pair of running shoes. Good running shoes are the first step to preventing injuries.

lizdotcom - Congrats on selling your house so quickly. That is just amazing.

Ok, well I went to the gym this morning with my Mom. She just started the Couch to 5k program. She did pretty good with the 60s run/90s walk. She was able to finish the entire 60s every single time. I am so proud of her!! I walk/jogged right along with her for moral support, and because I am the only one with a stopwatch on my watch!! :teeth: Other than that I did a bit of strength training, mostly legs. Squats, calves, hip abduction and adduction (hoping to tighten those up a bit!!), and worked on my shins. Tomorrow I have another 3 miles, but I am feeling great!!

Dana

littlegreydonkey
03-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Can I join the 'I've got a cold club' please - I think I got it off someone here (rather than two aeroplanes full of people) so I think I'm allowed. Am sitting here with swollen glands, a headache and a runny nose feeling most sorry for myself. Most annoyingly not sure I should run tonight which extends my 'non running' now to three weeks. My 6km on Monday night turned into a walk as running buddy had done three hours the day before and felt she needed a rest.This is not the plan as I have an 8km race in two weeks and I want to beat last years time - which at 47 mins was going some for me thankfully most of the course is downhill which I like. Ah well, better that than the 'I don't want to run at all' thing I had in January.

I'm sure I had lots of things to say to people but fuzzy head means I've forgotten everything - sorry. Helen

wtpclc
03-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Helen, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to sneeze on my screeen. :rotfl2:

:wizard: HOpe your feeling better soon. If, not, misery loves company. ;)

Mouse Skywalker
03-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by icnurse_celeste: Many drug categories including anti-depressants are also changed by exercise.I know there is someone one this board who is in med school- and interested in Ortho. If you would like a copy of this lecture- I will gladly make you a copy and send it to you. Celeste - I am a neuroscience researcher in a psychiatry department. This sounds very interesting to me, and I would love to have a copy of the lecture.

Sorry to post and run, but I've been really, really busy with work lately and no time for a detailed post. Still hoping to get my run in today, but I already missed my reserved TM time. Maybe I can get out after dinner and the princesses, DD5 princess: and DD8 princess: are in bed.

TnTsParty
03-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Seems like everyone has been busy. I decided to rollerblade this morning so that I could get some milage in. Well turns out my skates are old and the buckles were brittle and broke. So I was the furthest distance from my house and that is when they decided to break so I had to skate the rest of the way back home with broken skates trying to keep them on my feet. It looked like I couldn't skate I was so embarrassed. I plan on getting up and doing a decent wog tomorrow. I sent an email letter at work out for donations for the 5k I am participating in (since it is a benefit for Juvenile Diabetes) and even though it was close to the end of the day I had 4 people donate. I have never done anything like this before so its all new to me.

Mel ~ the adventure races sounds like fun but I couldn't imagine myself doing them. You go girl!! :cheer2:

Judy ~ hope they can take care of your dizzyness quickly so you can do that 5k and 1/2 miler.

Dawn ~ got to love the crockpot it helps out big time.

Amy ~ hope you are feeling better soon. Glad you got a good run in though.

Papa ~ hope your feeling better soon as well. Bronchitis and sinus problems are not fun. Take it easy and don't go to fast too quick.

Liz ~ congrats on selling the house and the new job. sounds like you have a lot going on.

Carrie ~ hope you feel better soon.

LittleGrayDonkey - feel better soon. Don't feel bad about walking instead of running at least you were out there doing something.

Anyone I missed know I didn't mean to miss you I am just extremely tired. TTYL

lilouisianagal
03-21-2006, 09:20 PM
*puts on the official Runner's Badge of Geekiness* Tonight I caught myself looking at my friends' shoes. First, I noticed my one's shoes b/c he has the same brand that I do, then I started looking around the room. :blush: I had read about how people would look at others' shoes....I thought I would never ever ever do that. :rolleyes1

jodistar
03-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

Tonight is my night off from working out - plus I had to do some laundry, etc. So I thought I this would also be a good time to get caught up on the posts from everyone.

Mel - great list of the Wish team - I never realized how many of us were really here.

Hey I have a question for all of you runners......and it might be a bit odd but do any of you have problems breathing the right way for running? Any tips - I don't feel it so much when I'm on the threadmill but when I am on the road I feel that I don't breath right. I don't want to pass out on people.

Melissa - that is too funny about your friend saying you were going too fast when you walked......I have that problem a lot with people. I may have short legs but I can go

Liz - Congratulations on the sale of your home and the new job! That is great!

Claire - I'm in the same boat....still waiting for my Garmin, hopefully tomorrow I will receive it - that was the estimated date but I was hoping to get it early. I'm kind of jealous though, you were able to get the 301 - I only ordered the 101.

Just curious Claire, is next year your first year doing the Goofy Challenge too? BTW - Happy Belated Birthday.

Well, I still have much more to read - but it is time to say goodnight....I will try to catch up more tomorrow morning.

Oh - BTW, tomorrow I am meeting with a placement agency after work....see what they have to offer. There have been a lot of cut backs this year at the company that I currently work for, so right now.....I'm just exploring the possibilities.

Have a great day tomorrow everyone!

Jodi

perfectmatch300
03-21-2006, 11:22 PM
I had the last in my series of knee injections today, OUCH!!!!! This time was the most painful of the 3. I could hardly stand up afterwards my left knee hurt so bad. The Dr said it happens because sometimes the gel he was injecting expands very rapidly and then takes a while to settle in. I'm doing better now, but still very sore. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I had a good swim at the beach yesterday. That's much more fun to me than swimming laps. I got totally bored with that around my soph. year in college (a long, long time ago :earseek: ) and only started back about 4 years ago. I still get bored after 1000 meters, but I am going to start pushing myself to go fartehr because it is easier on the knees.

Dave No I am not training for a tri at this point, although I would love to be able to do one at some point. First, I'd need a much better bike than the Wal-Mart special I currently ride and a big improvement on my wogging time. Right now I am trying to work through my knee problems and otherwise am training to train.

pixiedust: to all who are sick or hurt. Hope you are better soon.

Liz Wow, things have been busy for you lately! Congrats on the new job and on selling the house! Hope your new house gets built quickly. Took them 7 months to build ours from the start of construction to closing, and that does not even begin to count the time from design. They seem to do things very slowly here in FL though.

Mouse Skywalker
03-22-2006, 05:22 AM

Nancy- Here's more PD :wizard: :wizard: for your knee. That sounds so painful. I hope you get some relief soon.

So I had a breakthrough yesterday! Here goes. I have been really busy at work recently. I usually try to go run on the TM at the end of my workday. It's a small gym we have, and you have to sign up for the machines ahead of time. Around the lunch hour and at the end of the day if you don't sign up, you're not going to get a machine. Because I was really busy in the lab, I had to work past the time I had signed up for the TM so I was out of luck.

Went home, had dinner, cleaned up, put the princesses, DD5 princess: and DD8 princess:, to bed, and then went BACK to work so I could go to the gym and exercise. It's been a long time since I've done any activity after putting the princesses princess: princess: to bed. Usually I plop on the couch and watch TV. I got on the TM around 8pm and did 3 miles. I walked 0.25, ran for 2.5 miles at 12mpm pace (5.0), and then walked another 0.25. I spent a long time stretching and strengthening my shins afterwards. In all honesty, the run felt really hard. I'm wondering if my body is not used to being active in the evening. My legs felt really heavy - and this was even following a rest day. Anyhow, I got out there and did it - I got my steps in. :woohoo:

keenercam
03-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi, everyone! Sorry I have been MIA since I posted about the 5K. The reality is I have not "trained" since then and even now, I wish I had something to report!

Thanks to everyone who celebrated my PR and Howard's PR at the 5K. Even now, I am surprised I was able to do that time without running as much as I'd hoped. But I am also fearing the next time I go out and whether I'd be able to improve that time at all.

Happy birthday to everyone I've missed in the past 5 days! Lily and Liz -- LOVE the pictures of your visit, and am so jealous of the good company (not to mention the desserts! :teeth: )

I am so impressed with the huge commitments that so many people have made and stuck with so long. How wonderful it is to be in a community of people who support each other in this long haul to Marathon Weekend 2007. I LOVE knowing that by the time we are all together in one place in January we will all have come through so much and will be surrounded by friends all doing something extraordinary. :lovestruc

So, what is new here? Still pretty consumed with DS12's play, which opens in 2 1/2 weeks. Am so proud to see him "starring" in such a wonderful production and a challenging role. It is really pushing him to grow his natural talent and he is thriving. I am approached at every single rehearsal I attend and by email and phone by parents and others in the community who praise his talent and his purely positive attitude. I am sure I will burst with pride at the performances. It is kind of bittersweet that the play will be at nearly the one-year anniversary of my parents' deaths. I'm sure they'd have been outrageously proud of him.

DD17 should hear from UD any day, and if she gets in, I just hope she makes the right decision for her. I am torn because I still think her formerly second-choice school (which she now loves) is the right place for her. Her marching band leaves for WDW next Wednesday and will open the Spectromagic parade Friday night, 3/31, in case any of you are there! :cool1: I will be enjoying my 3 day solo trip and am thrilled at the prospect of exploring the running trails around the Old Key West resort. Yes, I finally put together a training schedule leading up to the Minnie, based on MfM. ;) She is pretty resolved to working hard this summer (instead of playing in Europe) and has undertaken to line up 2 jobs to save a lot of money for college. I know she is also looking forward to participating in college marching band and colorguard activities that she would have missed during the 3 week commitment to American Music Abroad. I really do believe things work out for the best, in the end.

Howard finally resigned his job Monday and is in the middle of job searching again. I am hoping he enjoys the time he has at the moment to train for the Delaware Marathon in May, but right now he is taking care of so many house issues and errands that were neglected during his tenure in he**.

Work is outrageously busy, so I have to get back to it. I am sending :goodvibes: and pixiedust: to everyone who is not feeling well, including Carrie, Helen, PapaDeuce, and Nancy. Take good care of yourselves. :grouphug: I am sorry to everyone I missed. I LOVE reading all of your posts and think of everyone here so often. :cloud9:

Hockeychic
03-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Good morning everyone.

Thank you all for the advise on my shin problem, I have tried stretching it before I exercise and it is working....still sore but getting better.

I will post a longer one later, just wanted to check in and thank you all for your information.

Kim

DJBounce
03-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Hello, I'm new here. I'm a little intimidated, but I thought I would say hi. My DH and I are in the "pretraining" phase for the half marathon in January. We are currently walking about 60 minutes 3 times a week. We hope to start the actual training in September. We plan to follow John Bingham's walk/run training plan for a half marathon. Our goal is to finish the half, of course, but I'm more worried about being swept! Right now, we barely do a 16 minute mile. I hope with time we will speed up, especially when we start running. We are both overweight, so right now we are trying to loose. So, I thought I would say jump in, this seems like a wonderful support group! Believe me, we need all the help we can get!!

Darcey

Honeibee
03-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Good morning everyone. :sunny:

I took yesterday off. I was too dizzy to drive. I can't wait to figure out what is wrong with me so we can fix it! I hate my head feeling like this. :crazy:

However, the good news is...I did 45 @ 3.9 @ 1% yesterday! :banana:

I know you're wondering how I can be so dizzy and be on the TM but honestly it doesn't bother me to walk. I look straight ahead at the tv and don't turn my head around much and I'm ok.

One good side effect of the meds I am now on is that I've lost four pounds in two days! Of course, I know why since I am going to the LR every 20 minutes.

Today was a rest day so I slept until 6:00am.

Oh I have a lot of catching up to do! :bitelip:

Papa Deuce...Hope you are feeling better. Excellent idea reading MFM. It's very inspiration for mortals like us. :hug:

Krista - Hope your booty is feeling better. :teeth: Maybe you need somebody to rub it! (Did I just say that?? Blame it on the meds!)

Karen - Yes, I too need to do 13.1 at least once before I find myself standing on the starting line in January. :bitelip:

Kevin - Hey, I like those "marathon side effects". I highly doubt you are ROOS. Maybe just a little dusty. If that! :confused3

Liz - OMG! I am so happy for you for both things! :cheer2: Whooo hooooo! :banana:

Hey Minnie - Don't disappear on us! Even if you have nothing to report, stop in, will ya???? :wave:

Claire - Wow, you are really doing great! :thumbsup2 That's wonderful! You keep going, girl! BTW, I really try to stay away from those "I love my Crocs/I hate Crocs" threads but, well, I actually bought a pair of the "mock Crocs" at Payless two weeks ago. I have to say, I really love them! I don't really care if people think they are ugly. I've seen some very "stylish" women's shoes with pointy pointy toes and needles for heels and I think THEY are ugly! But man, I love these shoes. :)

Ohh Celeste - I am on a BP med because of my dizziness issue. Thanks for what you said! I will discuss it with my MD. :rolleyes2

Helen - Sorry you are feeling miserable. :hug:

Dave - It's OK to post and run, so to speak. :teeth: Great idea going back to work out. :thumbsup2 But I have to tell you, once I leave work, there is no going back until I absolutely have to the next day!

Nancy - But now you are DONE with the injections! Yay! :banana: Ohh, swimming at the beach...I am jealous....

Cam - THERE you are! :teeth: I was getting worried!! Oh Cam, how wonderful about DS12's play! You must really be so proud! BTW, what are they doing? Oh that is great about DD17. What a great attitude she seems to have. I wonder where she gets it from... Oh I didn't know Howard was having a hard time at his previous job. That really stinks. I am sending :wizard: for a fab-u-lous new job for him!

Darcy - I completely understand you. :goodvibes See my self-imposed tag. Welcome! You'll find an amazing amount of support and advice here.

I guess we never heard from Lisa again, eh? I thought she posted on another board just the other night.

And speaking of MIA's...where's Sunny? And isn't Christa away?

Ok excuse me...it's been 20 min so I have to go again.... ;)

Judy

wtpclc
03-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Darcy - Welcome!!!! Repeat after me,"We will not be swept!" :teeth: If you are at 16s now, things should come along nicely. As Lily would say, right now you just need to get the steps in. Sounds like you are doing that. The pace will come. Glad you joined us!

Cam - :wizard: to Howard on finding a new and better job and to ds's play and dd's summer plans. Sounds like things are working out well and getting a little better for you, although I wish you had more time to play. ;)

Nancy - :wizard: :grouphug: Hope this helps!

Kim - Glad teh shins are gettign better!

jodi - Good luck with the placement person! :wizard:

Mel - :grouphug: Dental issues have been my life. I so understand.

I think my cold is better today, but I feel like I've od'd on day quil and nyquil. (I know I haven't and I have not exceeded the max uses time, but it feels like it) Very loopy today. Back to my good old allergy meds. Got to pay bills otnight and pack for my fun weekend getaway tomorrow. Went to bed at 7 last night in the hopes of having energy to accomplish somthing this week. I do not foresee work outs in teh plan this week. :guilty: I don't know how those of you who work out through bronchitis and such do it, but I am a whimp. Hoping to get on track next week. I really need to!

MdmMim
03-22-2006, 10:43 AM
I really want to do the Minnie 5K, but I'm getting discouraged. I am a complete beginner, but today did a 17 minute mile. (Was a big deal for me!!) :banana: I walk as fast as I can, but no luck on cutting off any extra time. And my shins--yikes! They are rebelling!

I have started to do some jogging with the walking, so hopefully that'll help. My goal is to just finish the race. Much more training is needed, I guess. Any suggestions?
Thanks... :wave:

plutosmyfav
03-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Hello :wave:

Welcome back, Helen! There are better souvenirs to bring home than colds-- sorry your sick. I've been sick as a dog this past week, too.

Keven-- I can totally relate to the "marathon figment". I find myself asking the same thing, "did I really run a marathon????" Now days I'm employing every mind game I have to push out 4-5 miles. :confused3

I have just registered for my April and May events :Pinkbounc

April 17: 5 miler in Lexington on Boston Marathon Day (also known as Patriot's Day around here)

May 7: Family fun run with DS and 5K with Dx in Burlington (hometown)

May 14: Sudbury Sprint Tri! It sounds pretty easy to me: 400 yard swim, 7 mile bike, 2.3 mile run. There's just the small issue of me not riding or owning a bike, but I have almost 2 months to resolve that!

Looks like I better be hitting the pool. I had no idea what to put for my estimated swim time. I'm going to time myself and update if necessary.

Sunny

lilouisianagal
03-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Jodi: I'm sooo excited about the Garmin. I did the pokie delivery b/c it's free. I got an email that it shipped out today at 4 AM and it should arrive the 29th. :bored: And yes this is my first Goofy. First anything-more-than-a-10K, actually. *gulp*

Nancy: Ouch! *sympathetic pat* and I get bored after my first half lap in the pool.... though it might help if I put my face in the water hehe

Cam:Good to see you again!

Darcey: :welcome:

Judy: Thanks! And I don't have a problem with how Crocs look (though I so don't go for the red "clown shoes" look that the red ones give me), it's that I have very very hot feet. I live in flip flops if its in the 40's or higher unless I'm at the barn or running (I even bike in flip flops :rolleyes1 ) or if they make me wear "real shoes" to teach at school. Plus I can sooo think of better uses for $30 per pair! And I agree with the pointy shoes=rather ugly.

A question for those of yall who did Goofy last year: What was your training schedule? MfM makes finding a training plan for the Half OR the Full very easy, but how did you modify it to train for Goofy?

I swam in the pool for 15 min today, going out to the barn later to ride hopefully.

Honeibee
03-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Hold it, Clair!

I have to put two and two together here....

Do you have a horse? :rolleyes1

AmyBeth68
03-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, couldn't get to k-boxing today but did 45 minutes of power yoga and some additional abs. Actually felt good to do some deep stretching and strength work.

Cam: Wow, your son's play is the same weekend as our Music Man performance! :goodvibes How exciting!! Both of my girls are in the High School play, but Kayleigh has a feature role and was even mentioned in a Newspaper article!!! I'm on :cloud9: , can't wait to see the performance. I heard her song the other day in rehearsal and it sounded great! I'm sure your son's play and performance is going to be a HUGE success!!!

Judy: Oh, I sure hope they figure out what is going on with your dizzy spells! That must be so frustrating! But good for you....getting up and exercising despite it! Hang in there...and be sure to let us know what they find out! Here's some pixie dust :wizard: that it's a quick fix! Take care of yourself (((HUGS)))

Sunny: WTG on registering for your upcoming events!

littlegreydonkey
03-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi there - well so much for not running with my cold! Running buddy is also sick, so I got an email saying 'not doing my three hours tonight - she has a marathon in four weeks - 'only going to do the hills. Are you coming' And I figured I had no excuse as she was sick too - so we did 10km of hills!!! And is was probably the easiest run (mentally) I've done all year, and physically it was okay too, it took us 1.13 which is 3 minutes longer than usual - which just proves that taking a break doesnt always hurt.

Not much else my end, two deadlines today so best get on. Helen

solotraveler
03-22-2006, 04:46 PM
A question for those of yall who did Goofy last year: What was your training schedule? MfM makes finding a training plan for the Half OR the Full very easy, but how did you modify it to train for Goofy?

While I didn't run the Goofy last year, I did a lot of asking around on the board immediately after and the one major thing that was recommended time and time again was back-to-back long runs. I used the MFM run/walk training plan and it worked great for me. When I crafted my training plan for the Goofy, I basically stuck to 4 days a week plus one day of crosstraining, HOWEVER modified the days so that I run 1/2 of the week's long run the day before. For example, if I have a Sunday 14 miler, I run 7 on Saturday followed by the 14 on Sunday. Most everyone agreed this was very helpful in training your body to bounce back between races.

Glad to see you back Cam!! :wave2:

Ok, got to dash-
Happy training all!

Mouse Skywalker
03-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Hey Team - I just came across this site. You can get custom socks made for teams. Whaddya think - some lime green socks with W.I.S.H. on the cuff, maybe a penguin or feather too? I included the link and description below. There's a couple of places on the web that make custom socks, and I could look into the cost if people would be interested.

http://www.sockguy.com/custom-socks.html

Custom Socks are what SockGuy does best. You can have a sock made in any color you want, in any style you want, and with any logos you want all while keeping SockGuy's traditional quality, comfort, and performance!

Ordering couldn't be easier. Simply choose up to six colors, a cuff height, a style, and your logo. Then submit your design by emailing it to custom@sockguy.com. You can simply list your design choices and attach logos or you can download an Adobe design template by clicking HERE. Current delivery time is approximately 4 - 5 weeks.

jodistar
03-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I finally got my Garmin :cool1: not that I waited super long for it or anything - I'll admit it I'm just impatient! Plus I also received my 2 new DVDs for the Bosu ball - I can officially say that I have everything that I need to fully train myself now.

Hopefully, it will be warm enough this weekend to run outside and try out my Garmin :teeth:, although the last I saw it is supposed to flurry on Friday and Saturday (could have changed).

Cam - that is so exciting about your daughter and the marching band in WDW, will we be seeing some photos?

Welcome Darcey :wave2:

Thank Carrie - for wishes of good lucky today. After meeting with the Placement Agency, I pretty much felt like they are just trying to build their library right now of candidates.....I know I used to work for a Placement Agency (as their admin) a couple of years ago - oh well, I will continue to look myself! :)

Wow Sunny - a Tri, I could never do that! Hey is it possible that you can rent a bike for the competition and training, just curious.....they rent about everything these days.

Wow Claire - you are almost in the same boat as me. I haven't done any races, so you are actually one up on me.....We will both make it through though :cheer2: ! I will most likely take an easy on the half and put more energy into the marathon portion.....but who knows by that point.

A question for those of yall who did Goofy last year: What was your training schedule? MfM makes finding a training plan for the Half OR the Full very easy, but how did you modify it to train for Goofy? - Oh I'd like to know this too :)

Dave - love the ideas for the socks!

Well, I'm going to get going for tonight - I did want to workout tonight but decided not to because of my weigh in tomorrow.....I tend to weigh in as more when I've worked out the night before.

Jodi

Papa Deuce
03-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Work is outrageously busy, so I have to get back to it. I am sending :goodvibes: and pixiedust: to everyone who is not feeling well, including Carrie, Helen, PapaDeuce, and Nancy. Take good care of yourselves. :grouphug: I am sorry to everyone I missed. I LOVE reading all of your posts and think of everyone here so often. :cloud9:

I absolutely LOVE the fact y'all remember me! :thumbsup2 I basically ahve DONE NOTHING since joining. Today is day 8 of being sick, though it really seems like I may be turning the corner.

I'm gonna follow the MfM Walk / Run for the HALF marathon plan. But if I don't get out there soon it is going to be VERY hard, I think, to get in shape to do the half marathon. My plan / hope is to be able to head to the YMCA or my gym on Saturday at the earliest. Man, I can't belive I have been out of this so long!

Thanks all, though. Your support means a LOT! :goodvibes

k_hase
03-22-2006, 09:14 PM
I love reading everyone's posts, but there are just too many to comment on!!

I had a kick *** 10 miler today at marathon pace. Started out stiff and annoyed but ended up averaging 15 seconds per mile faster than planned. I'd love to think that my marathon will be the same way.

lilouisianagal
03-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Hold it, Claire!
I have to put two and two together here....
Do you have a horse? :rolleyes1

Hehe... sometimes I claim him and sometimes I don't! :rolleyes2 If you wanna get technical I don't own him, I train him for a friend (my parents have issues over horse ownership [aka "the answer is "NO" no matter how many times you ask!" :rolleyes1 ]) . Anywho: Noah is my dear darling :teeth: He's a very large chestnut Quarter Horse (if I didn't know he was full Quarter I would have sworn he was appendix) gelding. He's about 8 years old. He has a super high play drive :Pinkbounc and is Extremely athletic and gets bored easily (just use your imagination for where that can go....). I am working on Parelli level 2 with him right now. Today we went out and worked on some groundwork then it started to rain so we dashed to the barn (I sooo wish we had a covered arena) so no ride today.

Thanks Kevin! That's what I was thinking of doing, but I wasn't sure if it was the best plan or not.

Dave: ...logo socks...interesting :crazy:

Jodi: Ohhhh I'm so jelous, you get yours and I still have to wait seven more days. What exactly is a Bosu ball?

Papa Deuce: Just get those steps in and you'll do great! :cheer2:

Kim: hehe it takes special skills to be able to keep up with all the posts. or it could just be inordinate amounts of time paired with two open windows.... :rolleyes1
:cheer2: on your 10 miler!

When on a nice 50 min / 7mile bike ride tonight. Just about froze my feet off plus I forgot about a hill ...I was aiming for a nice light ride--oh well!

MelRhoads
03-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I practiced map and compass navigation today by setting out an orienteering course for phil. I got TOTALLY lost!!!! I have a garmin rino (which is a radio/gps and it will give me my coordinates) I had to use it just to figure out where i was :teeth:

When all was said and done, I covered a little over 6 miles of wooded uneven terrain. (of course most of that was bushwacking, so no speed for me) I think that is my last big workout b/4 this weekend. We are going to go climbing Saturday, but I'm planning on reading and watching the kids more than i climb (translate: watching the kids and loosing my place in a book over and over again)

I would like to finish hogeye in around 5 hours, but i have been even slower than usual lately and i am tired (plus the booty thing)

Kim - great run!!!! That would be awesome if you marathon was the same!!

Cam - You sound SO busy. Maybe life in general can count as cross-training.

Jodi - have fun w/ the garmin. Do you like the bosu workouts? my abs are super weak, maybe that would help!

Judy - Maybe it is benign positional vertigo. I don't really know what that is. I had a friend w/ it once. It can be diagnosed by lying down and turning your head to one side quickly (i think) Ask Lynn. Truthfully, I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about! Last year I think I posted that phil has banned me from all medical speculation whatsoever!!

Sunny - I'll be missing you this weekend. Just the thought of you running hogeye and hearing you laugh about fatville made think it might be a tollerable race! Cool about the tri!!!!!!!

Claire - WTG on the bike ride.

Must go. Boy is sleeping and I want to see Law and order ci. !!

crzy4pooh
03-22-2006, 10:03 PM
I really want to do the Minnie 5K, but I'm getting discouraged. I am a complete beginner, but today did a 17 minute mile. (Was a big deal for me!!) :banana: I walk as fast as I can, but no luck on cutting off any extra time. And my shins--yikes! They are rebelling!

I have started to do some jogging with the walking, so hopefully that'll help. My goal is to just finish the race. Much more training is needed, I guess. Any suggestions?
Thanks... :wave:

MdmMim - You can definitely do this!!! DH and I did the family fun run Marathon weekend. They also said you had to maintain a 15 minute pace. We were a bit concerned because we didn't want to overdo before the marathon the next day, plus we were carrying a 2-year-old in a backpack (well, DH was... :thumbsup2 ) They didn't hold anyone to the time limit, and we had a blast! I can't say for sure that there won't be sweepers for the 5K, but in all the shorter races we've done at Disney (NKF, Race for Taste, Race for Cure...), we have not seen sweepers. Adding even a little bit of jogging should help your time, too. Anyway, hope this helps - we would love to see you there!!! :cheer2:

Everyone is doing so well with their training!!! Lots of pixiedust: for all those that are sick or injured! Get well soon!!!

I don't remember when I last posted, so here is my training this week. Sunday - long bike, Monday - long swim, Tuesday - supposed to be bike/run brick, but bike is in the shop, so just a short run working on speed, Wednesday - short run working on longer run intervals (only 2 short walks :banana: ), Thursday - swim lesson plus swim drills, Friday - hope to have my bike back!!!, Saturday - 8 mile run.

DH (wfloyd) is doing great - today he mapped out his training schedule through January's marathon (including the DL 1/2). Yea!!!

Happy training to everyone!!!! :cool1:

--Lynnda

Mouse Skywalker
03-23-2006, 05:38 AM

I sent an e-mail to get some information on custom socks for our W.I.S.H. team. I'll let you know what I hear. Not too much else to report. I did 3 miles on the treadmill yesterday running 2.5 in 30 min (12 mpm). My shins have been feeling a little sore lately. I have a rest day today and my x-training day tomorrow so I'm hoping that will give them some time to recover.

Have a good day all.

MdmMim
03-23-2006, 06:41 AM
At 6:30 a.m., I was out doing my 17-minute mile (no improvement on time there). BUT--my shins are getting better. They hurt, but recover very quickly! :thumbsup2 That's a good sign! I am going to do this! DD and DH are encouraging me. And thank you, crzy4pooh, for your encouraging words. :)

I'm continuing my Curves workouts to get the rest of this Ol' body toned up.

Happy training! :cheer2:

aladdinsgirl
03-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Good morning everyone!! :sunny: Glad to see that everyone is having great workouts. I went to the Community Center last night, did the bike for 30 minutes and then lifted. My legs are really starting to look like they have some muscle in them. :woohoo: I talked to a man who ran Disney this past year (well, I talked and really he listened :teeth: ), he was wearing his coolmax marathon shirt, that's how I knew he ran Disney. I don't just go up to people and asking them what marathons they've run. Although, I bet I would make a lot of new friends that way! :bitelip:

I have to tell you guys, I was looking at the Flying Pig website Tuesday night and I was getting SO excited!!! :woohoo: I can't wait to run it. Looking at the pictures from last year, made me a little teary-eyed, seeing the runners and walkers and all the support lined up on the street. I've already decided what shirt I'm going to buy: "I'll Run a Marathon When Pigs Fly"--don't you love it!! But do you think it's good etiquette to buy a marathon shirt, when I'm running the half? There aren't any half shirts, just marathon shirts, but I don't want to walk around wearing a marathon shirt for a marathon I didn't technically run--marathon being 26.2 miles. What do you think? :confused3

Claire--Your posts make me laugh! You have so much enthusiasm and excitement--I love it!! I can't believe you ride your bike in flip flops, don't you cut your feet up? I think you should give Crocs another chance, they are the BEST shoes ever. :love: So comfy!! I feel like I'm not wearing any shoes when I have them on. I do agree with you that red is a bit much, mine are chocolate--very low key.

Melissa--Have a good rest day! Reading about your trail adventures make me :faint: . Good luck this weekend at Hogeye. Would you like a pig's nose, like they wear at the Flying Pig??

Papa Deuce-- :wizard: Feel better!! Don't get down on yourself about training, your #1 priority now is to get healthy. Honestly, you have plenty of time to get your body ready for the Disney half. I signed up for the half last May, I never ran or walk long distances. I started just walking from May-July, usually 30-45 minutes on the week days and then 3-4 miles on the weekends. In July I started the MfM walking plan, I think I did the first 4 weeks of that program. In the middle of August, I started the MfM walk/run program, doing the first 7 weeks and then in October I started the MfM run/walk program, I did the entire training program for the half. I ran the half doing r4/w1 and finished in 2:41. You can do this!!!!

Kim-- :cheer2: :cheer2: on your 10-miler!! Did you do that on the treadmill too? The fact that you can do such high mileage on the treadmill is amazing. What do you do from not getting bored? Watch a movie??

Lynnda--Glad to see you back!!!

Jodi--You will LOVE your Garmin!! :love: I couldn't imagine training without one.

MdmMim--You got up at 6:30 to walk??!! Very impressive!! There must be a lot of morning people here. Not me! I'd rather stay up to midnight working out. (And then sleep all day :thumbsup2 )

Mel--How is your foot?

Helen--Hope you feel better!! This may be a stupid question, but were you effected by those cyclones in Australia? I thought of you when I heard about them.

I better get back to work, we've almost made it to another weekend!! :woohoo:

MelRhoads
03-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Krista - I think you should be able to get whichever t-shirt you want!!!! Most people don't know the difference anyway!! About the hog nose thing, we do have an abundance of those in this area b/c of the U of A Razorbacks. In fact, I'm glad you brought that up b/c my plan is to be funny for the pics, so I might go get those for me and phil and EC's husband so we can use those in one of the pics. They are really cheap and we could ditch them at an aid station when we were done. If I do it I'll let you know!!! I'm going to look up the flying pig. It sounds like fun!!! I'm glad you are excited about doing it.

Dave - thanks for the info about the socks!!! I didn't realized they would do custom socks. I would love to get some for our adventure racing team.

Honeibee
03-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Good morning all. :wave2:

Did my usual 45 min @ 3.8 @ 1% today. :thumbsup2 And watched the end of Under The Tuscan Sun. :teeth:

Papa Deuce - Now you're not going to be able to get rid of us! :goodvibes Seriously, we're glad you're here and don't fret. You'll get going. Spring is on it's way too, and that will help.

Amy - Thank you for your good wishes. :flower3: I can't wait to figure this out either. Spring is coming, I can feel it, and there is so much I want to do. I have a horse and a motorcycle just waiting to be ridden. I don't feel confident right now to get on either one. And quite frankly I am spending entirely too much time in the LR. Geez, these meds! :rolleyes2

Clair - COOL! :smooth: I have a TB mare that I just retired last summer, so she's my lawn ornament now. But she deserves it after taking me all over the trails for 18 years. :goodvibes I just took in a foster horse, who is also a chestnut QH. I don't know if I can keep her or not. She's involved in a court case so we'll have to see. But she also has a nasty habit of rearing often. So even if I can, I don't know..... But she's a doll, so it will be a tough decision. We finally found a house we liked - and that met all our criteria - about a year ago, so I put up a barn and paddock. It's the best having them at home! A lot of work, but I like to think of mucking as cross-training! Noah sounds smart and challenging...and fun! Good luck with the Parelli training! BTW, my mock Crocs are black. I'm a chicken.

Melissa - Thanks for the suggestion. :listen: I have my MRI on Tuesday so we should know more then. Everyone keeps saying they won't find anything. They think they are being funny. Har har har! :rolleyes: Anyway, I actually feel better today! And I don't think you should be banned from medical speculation. Maybe you have a good idea there!

OK, let me pretend to work now.... :surfweb:

Judy

andromedaslove
03-23-2006, 10:37 AM
OK THAT IS IT!! For all of you here who have been sick recently, I want you to know .... I BLAME YOU!! You guys must have given me this awful cold I have come down with. :guilty: How come simultaneously one side of my nose is runing snot down my face, and the other side is so stuffed up I can't breathe through it. :sick: Then to top it off I chose today to try and quit smoking! I don't know if my family will be able to handle me today!! :teeth:

Yesterday I was planning on going for a 3 mile run. It didn't quite work that way. I got out and was running, but I felt so horrible that I just had to stop after my first mile, not a bad time though 8m50s. Today I am going to go with my Mom for her 20 minute c25k run. I may try and rest Friday and put in 5 miles on Saturday, if I'm feeling better that is.

Claire - I am so jealous. I grew up out in the country where my family bred and showed Quarter Horses. I miss it so much. DH and I are constantly on the look out for land so we can build a house and have horses.

Judy - Sending good thoughts and pixiedust: your way. HOpe everything turns out well on your MRI.

Well, off to clean my house and feel sorry for myself since I am miserably sick!! :teeth: I'll catch up with you guys later.

Dana

plutosmyfav
03-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Krista-- I say go for it! If anyone asks you if your ran Flying Pigs, just say you ran the 1/2 but you ran the full at Disney :teeth: (there's always away to get that convo going just one more time...)

Dana-- I feel your pain (literally). I'm trying to eat my salad right now and I have to take breathing breaks because my nose is such a mess. I've been like this for 9 days now :crazy:

keenercam
03-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Kim -- Glad your shin issue is getting better. :)

Hi, Darcey! Welcome! :welcome: You are going to love it here, and if you are anywhere near doing 16 minute miles now, just think of what 9 more months of training will do for you! :cool1:

Judy -- I'm sorry you are still having dizziness. Do you feel/hear anything in your ear? I had Meniere's Disease years ago and many of my symptoms were similar. I know you have had many bits of advice and I hope the MRI goes well. DD17 had labyrinthitis about 5 weeks ago and it was resolved with antibiotics. Hopefully, your cure will be quick and easy. BTW, I am so impressed that you are still treading the mill, when many of us (namely, me) would have taken the opportunity to "take it easy" ;) Oh, I'm jealous that you watched "Tuscan Sun" -- isn't it wonderful?

Claire-- Sounds like your mom worked really hard to find great Bday gifts for you! How sweet, and I'm really happy for you that you are going to become a Garminphile like so many of us here. :teeth: Oh, and Noah sounds wonderful!

Carrie -- So glad to hear you are feeling better. Are you back to 100% today? I hear you on the craziness at work thing -- how is it looking now? I am so glad it is Thursday, though I will be putting in a lot of hours this weekend. UGH! We can be miserable together! :hug:

MdmMim -- Don't get discouraged! Most of us have been where you are now, and can tell you with certainty that if you put the steps in, you will be so happy and impressed with the progress that will come. Keep up the great effort! :thumbsup2

Helen -- I am so glad you are back, though your vacation doesn't sound all that relaxing. Those lines would drive me crazy. I am NOT a patient person! I was also concerned when I heard about the cyclone, hoping it did not affect you and yours. I can't believe you did hill training when you weren't going to do anything because you were feeling so lousy! :woohoo: What a great friend you are! I can only imagine how much more motivated I would be to train if I had a friend to do it with. :cloud9:

Sunny -- Congrats on getting DS and Dx indoctrinated to your healthy lifestyle! How much fun it must be to look forward to doing the family event and the 5K! Hey, maybe someday DS will be doing tri's with you! :banana:

Hi, AmyBeth! Congratulations to your DDs for getting parts in the HS play. How awesome for Kayleigh to have a significant part! Yes, DS is starring in "Seussical", which opens on 4/7 for 3 performances. He plays JoJo the WHO boy that Horton befriends. He is singly responsible for saving Horton from the asylum for the criminally insane and the WHO's clover from being boiled when he lets out the loudest, most sustained "YOPP" you can imagine. I keep worrying that during the performances when he is in costume and makeup under those hot lights, he might pass out from the incredible effort he puts into that one moment in the play. Our dioscese newspaper is doing a feature story on the production next week and took pictures, so I am hoping to have something to post when the newspaper publishes next week.

Hey, Kevin, when are you going to slow down? ;) I can't believe how busy you are and all that you have taken on. You are very inspiring! :wave2: Oh, and I may steal your name after next week if I love being a solotraveler to WDW! :rolleyes1

Dave -- the socks sound like fun, though I am so wedded to my Wright Running socks for any distance training or events. I am so freaked out at the thought of trying new socks and ending up with blisters, but I really want WISH socks for all the time we are at WISH events but NOT actually wogging. How nice of you to research it for us! That might also be a lot of fun for our kids all to have when they are there to cheer us on. :cheer2:

Jodi --- Have you tried your Garmin yet? Believe me, you won't do another outdoor training session or event without it! :love:

PapaDeuce-- Hope you are feeling better today. Good plan for the Y! Always good to anticipate and gear yourself up for it when you are feeling better. So, what do you think of MfM? I also loved "The Courage to Start" and want to get "No Need for Speed".

Kim-- awesome pace! 15 seconds faster than expected? Girl, you were smokin'! (and not like this, either --> :smokin: )

Melissa -- I had to laugh at you getting lost in the woods. Sorry! It is just that I actually get lost in our neighborhood! :blush: Good luck this weekend!

Wow, Lynnda! Your workout schedule looks exhausting! :faint: Awesome!

Krista -- I think the shirt sounds great! Go for it!

Dana -- sending :goodvibes: and pixiedust: that you will feel back to 100% very soon!

So, I am thanking the gods of aleve today. :sad2: I went to the gym last night and did 2.25 miles in 30 mins on the TM, including 5 minutes warm-up. (So it was w 5:00 at 4.2; then jog 2:00 at 5.2 and walk 3:00 at 4.2 for 5 intervals.) Then, 30 minutes on the bike.

I was supposed to have walked 40 mins Monday and cross-train 40 minutes Tuesday and rest yesterday, but hadn't done any of that. So, this was the best I could do to make up for it. By the time I stepped off the TM, my hip was almost completely non-functioning. I should have taken aleve before I left work, and I really should have stretched, but hindsight is 20/20. I am really not sure what is going on with my right hip, which almost derailed me at mile 10 of the 1/2 (thanks, Rhonda, for slowing down for me while the aleve was getting into my system! :love: ). It is actually mostly in the back at the bottom of my buttock, top of my leg, but definitely inside at the joint or the muscle. Is this what someone else was feeling when they said their booty hurt? :confused3

So, not sure what to do. I guess for now, I am going to try to do things right -- stretch, slower warm-up, etc. before my next LW this Saturday a.m. and if it is still bad, I will make an appt with my doctor. The pain this morning was nearly unbearable though aleve has definitely helped. The reality is that the thought of even walking to the LR right now requires some very encouraging self-talk! :rotfl:

So, can you believe the DIS will let me post a post this long? :rotfl2: It's a shame I can't persuade someone to pay me by the word for anything I write!

TXBelle
03-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Finally made it through this week's posts. I still have not had time to go back and catch up on the past 2 weeks. I am finally catching up at work. I made it back to the gym yesterday and did walk3/run2 on the treadmill for 40 minutes. Today I rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, so I will try to squeeze in a LR and a long bike ride.

My good news is that I finally earned a free Southwest Airlines pass! I will use that to fly to L.A. in Sept. for the DL 1/2. My mom told me last night that she wants to come to DL with me. I told her that would be great! She could meet my WISH friends and cheer all of us on during the 1/2. The last time I went to DL was with my parents when I was 16. I wanted to be there with anyone BUT my parents then. Now, at 36, I am actually excited to go with my mom.

I better get back to work. :badpc:

AmyBeth68
03-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi Guys :sunny: My run was a bit of let down today. Of course, it doesn't help that I made several mistakes before even starting :rolleyes: . Had different music on my Ipod, not my normal running music; only warmed up a few minutes because I was rushing to get started; and ate too near the time that I had to run. So I ended up with a nasty stitch in my side after one lousy mile. My legs felt stiff and my breathing was out of sync for some reason? :confused3 I ended up doing 5:1 run:walk intervals twice, then did 8:1 interval then another 5:1 and then finished with a run. It was a 30 minute run on the same course as Tuesday. I finished a few hundred feet from where I finished the other day (probably about 2.8 miles)....but I was hurting! I'm not sure how I'll make 3.5 miles on Sunday...it's my next distance bump in the 5K training plan. Only time will tell. But boy did this run feel like a struggle today!

Cam: Seussical is supposed to be a great play! I think it's a musical, right? Very cool! The costumes must be amazing. Please post pics when you have them :). BTW....what a workout you had! Definitely stretch and take your aleve...you worked HARD! :goodvibes

Dana: Take care of yourself! Definitely give yourself a nice rest day (or two or three). I was sidelined most of last week due to that nasty cold!

TXBelle: :cool1: Awesome that you got your free SW pass! Great news!

MDMmim: VERY impressed at you getting up early to workout. Ugh...I'm not a morning person at all LOL! WTG!!! :banana:

Krista: I agree, buy the t-shirt...13.2 miles IS a marathon ('kay it's a half BUT it's pretty darn long and I think the shirt sounds cute). I looked at the website for the Flying Pig Marathon a few weeks back and it looks wonderful! Maybe next year (hmmmm).

AmyBeth68
03-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Kim: Way to go on your 10 miler! You seem to be a very experienced runner...glad to have you here with us! I'm sure you can offer lots of advice and support :). BTW...I notice that you're from upstate NY. Have you ever run the wineglass marathon in Corning? I won't be able to do it in 2006 but would love to try it in 2007 assuming the running thing continues to work out for me :goodvibes . If anyone has run that marathon....how was it? Sounds like it would be great and really beautiful scenery!

MelRhoads
03-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Krista - I went to walmart and totally forgot the pig noses!!! Now i'm going to have to go back tomorrow. it is pretty much terrible to go anywhere shopping w/ the boy! I tried to break the pig nose idea to phil gently, but he wasn't too keen on it. I'll bet he'll do it for love though!!

littlegreydonkey
03-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Amy and Cam - thanks for thinking of me, but we are 'cyclone free'. In fact we didnt know anythign about it until we got home, even though we flew close to the area around the time the storm was hitting - not even a bump. Tim's brother lives in Queensland, but the other end, he probably got wet though - they like rain there though as they don't get any. Even when I ran that half over there last year and the roads were being washed away -as we were driving down them - they were like (adopt Crocodile Hunter type accent here) 'ah, well at least the droughts over for a bit'

Not much to report runningwise, decided I start training to train for DL on Saturday, I've really let my mileage slip since the marathon and so I've got to back up to 2 hours feeling comfortable again before I start training - I think I'm going to try an intermediate plan this time as I want to beat my time, if not get under 2.06, in my 'home town' race this year and that will take a lot of work for me so I need to be already working from a 'fit place'.

And it looks like I'm going to be in WDW this year after all - sadly not for the marathon though. We might end up in the area mid December/Xmas but we can't stretch the hol to fit Tim's 40th and the race - and one of those events only comes once a lifetime so I kind of have to bow to it!!!! I'm definitely doing Goofy 2008 though, just you watch me. Helen

TiffJ
03-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Not much going on here training wise. Its spring break which actually means no break for mommy. Have you guys seen the info on the DCL Europe cruise? I would so love to do that!!!! But airfare would be so high for the 4 of us. Maybe I can borrow a boat & row accross the Atlantic for XT ;)

Heather-that is so great you are coming with your mom to DL. That's what I'm doing , a mom & daughter trip :goodvibes We've never been, so I'm very excited (although feeling a little guilty about leaving the family behind)

Dana-sorry, I was one of those previous "sickos" I didn't mean to give you a computer virus :rotfl2:

Krista-yes, get that shirt. It sounds too cute!

Sunny-congrats on signing up for your first tri! I know you will do awesome!

wtpclc
03-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Dana - I'm sure you caught whatever you have from Helen, not me! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Cam - Work will be awful next week and I *should* work this weekend, but I've had a weekend getaway with a very good friend planned for wayyy to long to give it up! Hope it's not too bad for you this weekend.

Welcome back Heather!

I finally feel like I'm through the worst of this cold/flu thing. Still not going to run tonight, as I really want to make sure I don't have a relapse. 10 hours of solo driving this weekend would be bad if I was sick again.

Have a great weekend everyone! I plan on being a better example next week!

Kristi1357
03-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I've been lurking for awhile and I guess it's high time I joined in! :wave2:

My name is Kristi and I am 34, married, with a 2 year old son. My hubby is the runner, doing the Disney Marathon (and Goofy last year) for the past 5 years. Never in a million years did I think I would ever do any kind of running. Well, 1.5 years on Weight Watchers and I am still stuck at 10 lbs. to goal. So, once I heard about the Minnie 15k I knew I had to try to do it. I think a girls-only trip to WDW is the only thing that could motivate me to get off my couch potato butt and try to walk/run a race.

I started exercising at the end of Janary. Lots of Leslie Sansone WATP DVDs. At the end of Feb. I started official training according to the Hal Higdon schedule for a 15k. Friday night I went to Runner's Alley and got my first pair of running shoes.

I have been getting quite discouraged since I barely can get under a 15 min. mile on our treadmill. I walk 4 mins. then run 1 min. And that 1 min. of running kills me! So, since it was around 50 degrees here today, I went outside to run with my hubby's Garmin. I walked/ran 2 miles in 26:59! :banana: I am so excited and confident that I CAN do this now! :teeth:

I still have to do some strength training tonight, but tomorrow is my rest day.

Jen117
03-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Well, last night I jogged for 20 minutes, then 15 minutes of walking. I was so proud of myself. It's the baby steps that add up!

Kristi - Welcome. I am new here as of January. My goal before having kids was to run the half marathon, even tho I have never ever been a runner. I have just always wanted to do it. Well, now that I have to lose the excess weight I put back on after having kids... the 1/2 is my marathon. Prior to having kids I lost weight on WW. Congrats to you!

Papa Deuce
03-23-2006, 07:33 PM
I've been lurking for awhile and I guess it's high time I joined in! :wave2:

My name is Kristi and I am 34, married, with a 2 year old son. My hubby is the runner, doing the Disney Marathon (and Goofy last year) for the past 5 years. Never in a million years did I think I would ever do any kind of running. Well, 1.5 years on Weight Watchers and I am still stuck at 10 lbs. to goal. So, once I heard about the Minnie 15k I knew I had to try to do it. I think a girls-only trip to WDW is the only thing that could motivate me to get off my couch potato butt and try to walk/run a race.

I started exercising at the end of Janary. Lots of Leslie Sansone WATP DVDs. At the end of Feb. I started official training according to the Hal Higdon schedule for a 15k. Friday night I went to Runner's Alley and got my first pair of running shoes.

I have been getting quite discouraged since I barely can get under a 15 min. mile on our treadmill. I walk 4 mins. then run 1 min. And that 1 min. of running kills me! So, since it was around 50 degrees here today, I went outside to run with my hubby's Garmin. I walked/ran 2 miles in 26:59! :banana: I am so excited and confident that I CAN do this now! :teeth:

I still have to do some strength training tonight, but tomorrow is my rest day.

Let me be the first to WELCOME YOU. These are good peeps! Best of luck to you.

Tiger Lily 03
03-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi WISH Team!

Oh my, I was going to go back and read, however on the top of page 8 and found the comment about pig noses and love...I think I will let my imagination run with this for a while!!??? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Welcome Kristi1357! You are doing it! Congratulations to you!

jodistar
03-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Jodi: Ohhhh I'm so jelous, you get yours and I still have to wait seven more days. What exactly is a Bosu ball?

Not sure if this will work but I'll give it a try (below is what a Bosu ball looks like):

http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1199759dt.jpg

lilouisianagal
03-23-2006, 08:01 PM
First things first:
I GOT MY GARMIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay: :banana: :goodvibes Smilies just can't express the joy hehehe!
I am amazed. I signed up for the 5-7 day shipping. They said it would get here the 29th or 30th. I ordered it late on the 20th. Well it shipped out on the 21st at 9pm and it was delivered here today (23rd) at 3:30. That's pretty darn good! And it was really quick to pick up the satellites too! I'm soooo happy :teeth: . I will get to use it on my 10 mile long run tomorrow.

Melissa: I think those adventure races sound so fun. I wonder if they have any around here....hmmm...step one: trek thru bayou....step two: run in zig zag fashion to avoid getting eaten by a gator....step 3: see how many mosquitos you can kill....step 4: muck out a hurricane ravaged house.....hmm that could be an interesting race... ;)

Krista: *curtsies* glad to be of service hehe :teeth: And I ride my good ole lil mountain-type bike on the nicely-paved trails around the lakes so my feet only have to fear the fridgid Louisiana air (I wish I was joking but they nearly froze yesterday!).

Judy: Oh I wish I lived with my horses. I love it when I get to house/horse-sit for my friend--though I definitely get some cross training in! Right now it takes 30 min to get to the barn if there is absolutely no traffic and the traffic light boogies are feeling nice. Good luck with the mare, Noah used to rear but we've pretty much got that one under control these days.

Cam: You becareful now. Listen to your booty!

Helen: I'm so jelous! I've always wanted to visit New Zealand and Australia. It always looks gorgeous and everyone I have ever met from there is just grand! Now I have a running buddy to come pester if I ever get over there mwahahahaha! :teeth: How often do you come over here? And sad news that you won't get to do the Goofy this year, but at least you get to go to wdw.

Kristi: :welcome:

I had a nice run today (I can say that confidently in the evenings because I don't remember a minute of it! :p ).

This afternoon I went to the Disney CP Presentation. I can't actually apply for spring 2007 until next fall, but I just wanted to go for the heck of it. Interestingly they just started this year a CP summer program. Small detail that you can only work Quick Service F&B because thats what they need. I already have signed my contract to work at Sky Ranch this summer or I might have just applied for the Fall (I really want to do the Advantage Program [summer plus a semester], though so I am holding out for the spring. Plus I think it will be neat to run the Goofy as a start to my Disney program. Which brings up a question: how long should I schedule for rest time before I start working? I know I will want a day or two (or more?) to let my body rest before starting in but how long? I've gotta say that the presentation lady "Julie" did an excellent job of "selling" all of the job positions; almost made me WanT to work F&B, custodial, or housekeeping. I'm holding out for Entertainment as my first choice though. I'm getting excited b/c I'm planning on doing some of the dance courses that our gym offers next fall as crosstraining and I figure that will give me a good review of dance skills for the auditions (I danced for 9 years).

Okay how long do yall's shoes last? I've had mine since Jan 22, so two months, and they have perhaps 250 miles on them (I'm too lazy to add up my log at the moment, but that's being generous), but the part that is under the ball of my foot is GONE. I mean the purple tread part is Flat! Is this a bad thing? I have ASICS Gel Kayano XI. I had the X but they don't make those anymore. These required no break in and didn't give me blisters or hotspots which was wonderful (a different brand, Brooks, I think, did). Do I need to go ahead and get new shoes? I run on asphalt. That just seems really quick to be going thru a pair of shoes. My X's I only used on an indoor track so they never really looked worn out.

Well lovely night to yall! I'm off to figure out my Garmin.... :Pinkbounc

Jodi: Ohhh so it's like a half a stability ball. Now....what exactly do you do with that sucker?? Heheh it looks :bounce:

jodistar
03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Jodi - have fun w/ the garmin. Do you like the bosu workouts? my abs are super weak, maybe that would help!

I love the Bosu! I'm trying to stay away from weights, so I am trying different workouts like the Bosu or the Winsor Pilate Circle workout (I prefer the Bosu).

Both really work the core really good :thumbsup2 I know Bally's has a Bosu class (I don't belong to that gym) but it might be worth it, it a Bally's is near you (not sure if Bally's are all over the place - but check out any big name chain).

Little by little the Bosu is helping the core (stomach area). :goodvibes

jodistar
03-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Jodi --- Have you tried your Garmin yet? Believe me, you won't do another outdoor training session or event without it! :love:

Haven't tried it yet, I really want to.....as long as it isn't really cold this weekend I hope to go running on Saturday. It kind of stinks, I don't get home until 6:00 at night but once it stay lighter out later I hope to do it more than just the weekends.

jodistar
03-23-2006, 08:20 PM
First things first:
I GOT MY GARMIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay: :banana: :goodvibes Smilies just can't express the joy hehehe!
I am amazed. I signed up for the 5-7 day shipping. They said it would get here the 29th or 30th. I ordered it late on the 20th. Well it shipped out on the 21st at 9pm and it was delivered here today (23rd) at 3:30. That's pretty darn good! And it was really quick to pick up the satellites too! I'm soooo happy :teeth: . I will get to use it on my 10 mile long run tomorrow.

Yeah! :Pinkbounc You'll have to let me know how it is....I probably won't get to try mine until Saturday.

Jodi: Ohhh so it's like a half a stability ball. Now....what exactly do you do with that sucker?? Heheh it looks :bounce:

Balance exercises, sit-ups, lunges, etc......makes it a little bit more intense. The DVDs that I got yesterday are Yoga moves on the Bosu...The DVD that came with the Bosu is almost like a Step Class - so I guess it depends what you want to do.

jodistar
03-23-2006, 08:26 PM
God, this week has been a bad one for me......I didn't get a lot done in the way of exercise. I hope to do something tomorrow.....Even if it is just my BOSU.

I really want to try and go out with my running group again on Saturday (although, I might end up going on my own.....I was a little embarrassed last time being at the back of the pack). I want to condition myself to the road before going out with them again.

On a good note....I went to my WW meeting and I am down another 2.4, bringing my total weight loss to a little over 17 pounds. :banana:

andromedaslove
03-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the well wishes. As the day went on I started to feel better, which was a wonderful things because my 17 month old started feeling really bad come afternoon. Snotty nose, just plain miserable, running around screaming. Then he came and sat down in my lap, and I bent over and kissed the side of his head. Poor baby was running a temp of 102.3!! So came the tylenol. I just went in to check on him because he was fussin' and it seems like his temp has come down.

I didn't get to go run with my Mom today, but we are planning a 20 minute run tomorrow when she gets off work. If I do ok then I'll probably try to pull of a 5 mile run on Saturday, but we'll see how I feel then.

Dana

MelRhoads
03-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Claire - Look at this. There are actually lots of races in LA. I do want to point out though, that NO ONE ever looks as happy as these people on this web site during an adventure race :confused3
http://www.laadventureracing.com/Custom/LAADVENTURERACING/home.asp

Mouse Skywalker
03-24-2006, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by jodistar: I really want to try and go out with my running group again on Saturday (although, I might end up going on my own.....I was a little embarrassed last time being at the back of the pack). I want to condition myself to the road before going out with them again. Jodi- I really enjoyed my running group so much last Saturday, and I'm looking forward about getting out there and running with them again. Don't be embarrassed about being at the back of the pack. Be happy with what you are doing, enjoy being with the group, and just do the best you can do. I hear you about conditioning to the roads though. I need to do that too. My shins are still feeling a little twinge this week that makes me a little concerned about my run with the group on Saturday.

Welcome Kristi1357 :welcome:

Had a rest day yesterday. Work has been killing me this week. I've just been running from one thing to another. Whew, I'm behind with things at work and need to catch up. I've had so much to do in the lab all the writing and paperwork I need to do is falling way, way behind. That's all from me now. Have a good day everyone. :yoda:

aladdinsgirl
03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Good morning everyone!!! :sunny: Happy Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: I walked 3 miles on the treadmill last night in 40:11. I felt really good afterward, no knee pain!!! I was concerned my knee would hurt during the walk because it hurt a little during the day. I think the culprit was wearing heels all day. Wish me good luck tomorrow, I'm going to attempt to run 6 miles, this will be the first time I will run since March 12.

Melissa--Did you get your pig nose?? :wizard: tomorrow! I'll be thinking about you. What time do you start?

Dave, Mel, and other football fans--What do you think about what's been going on in the NFL? TO is a Cowboy now??? I never thought that would happen. Can you believe the Patriots cut Vinitari? I can't keep up with who's playing where.

Jodi--Don't be embarrassed about being at the back of the pack! You are getting out there and working it!!! I know what you mean though, I would be self conscious about it too. Congrats on losing 2 more pounds. You made your WW goal, right? Now it's your personal goal?

Kristi--Welcome!!! I'm so glad you found us! :cheer2: :cheer2: on your run! That is awesome. Do you like the Leslie Sansone DVD's? I've heard good things about her, but I've never done one before. I've heard they are quite the workout.

Claire--The CP program sounds awesome. My cousin-in-law's girlfriend did it last year, she loved it. I really wish I had known about the CP program when I was in college.

Dana--Are you feeling better? How are you doing with stopping smoking? Think of how much faster and longer you'll be able to run now!

Carrie--Have a great weekend!!

Cam--When do you leave for Disney? Take lots of pictures to show us! I meant to tell you the other day, I was very impressed with your daughter. It just shows what a good upbringing she has had, to accept the punishment and then go on. Your son's play sounds wild and fun! Tell him to break a leg!!

Do you guys think I talk too much? Stephen told me last night that he saw my 15 page disseration from yesterday. I just tell him, "hello, what do you think my degree (broadcasting) is in?" :p Granted, I'm not using it, but I still learned it!

I better start working, the quicker I work the faster the day will go, right?? :woohoo:

Kristi1357
03-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Kristi--Welcome!!! I'm so glad you found us! :cheer2: :cheer2: on your run! That is awesome. Do you like the Leslie Sansone DVD's? I've heard good things about her, but I've never done one before. I've heard they are quite the workout.

I read about Leslie's DVDs here on the WISH threads. I really do like them. I am not the coordinated dancing type - I tried a cardio Firm DVD and gave up on trying to learn those crazy steps! I know if you wear a pedometer, you really do walk the miles each L.S. DVD says you do. I just wonder if it truly is accurate. I mean, you walk in place, not with your actual stride. I like that she uses side steps, kicks, kick backs and knee lifts also. I get to work more muscles than plain old walking. She also uses a stretchie band or hand weights for part of the workout. Long story short, I really her like her program. I bought 4 of them, miles 1-4. I also just bought her Walk & Jog DVD and like that one as well.

I usually do one of these on my crosstraining days.

Mouse Skywalker
03-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by aladdinsgirl: Dave, Mel, and other football fans--What do you think about what's been going on in the NFL? TO is a Cowboy now??? I never thought that would happen. Can you believe the Patriots cut Vinitari? I can't keep up with who's playing where. It is amazing all the movement around. I didn't know the Pats cut Vinitari. I just figured he left in the free agent moves. It's amazing to me that the Colts got rid of Vanderjagt. I think the year before last he didn't miss a kick the entire regular season. I have to admit I was a HUGE Vanderjagt fan in the playoff game against the Steelers this year. :lmao: :rotfl2: It will be interesting to see how it plays out with TO in Dallas. He just seems so toxic to a locker room.

plutosmyfav
03-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Good morning. I finally got to the Y last night after not working out since last Saturday. Between working 10-12 hours a day and being sick I haven't had a chance to workout. I'm still sick and it was hard. I did 70 minutes of weights and almost maxed out my second machine! I did 160 lb on the back extension and it only goes to 190 (I believe). So I'm psyched to max that one out. Its odd though, because all the rest of the machines I'm no where near maxing out. I started to run on the TM but gave that up the first quarter mile. My head is all messed up, I feel dizzy and almost faint. So I switched to the recomben bike which is a joke in my opinion. I did 18 miles but barely broke a sweat. I guess having all of your body weight supported by a comfy chair takes away from the whole workout thing. But at least I was there and got some conditioning done.

I'm hoping to run outdoors this Saturday. The weather is nice and mild and the sun is up nice and early again. But if I'm not feeling much better it won't be much of a run. Its been two weeks now. I came down with this stupid virus right after my half. Grrrr.

Happy training everyone.

Sunny

keenercam
03-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Cam--When do you leave for Disney? Take lots of pictures to show us! I meant to tell you the other day, I was very impressed with your daughter. It just shows what a good upbringing she has had, to accept the punishment and then go on. Your son's play sounds wild and fun! Tell him to break a leg!!

Do you guys think I talk too much? Stephen told me last night that he saw my 15 page disseration from yesterday. I just tell him, "hello, what do you think my degree (broadcasting) is in?" :p Granted, I'm not using it, but I still learned it!

Hi, Krista! You definitely do NOT talk too much here. Show Stephen my 7000 word dissertation post from yesterday and he'll think you are as quiet as a mouse by comparison! :teeth:

Well, I cannot believe a week from now I will be in WDW! I am very excited! The only problem is that my right hip is barely functioning. You know how a barbie body looks? Well, mine doesn't look anything like that :rotfl2: BUT (excuse the pun) if you imagine how the leg moves on that swivel, my swivel isn't working. It's like someone karate chopped it and misaligned it or something, because it just isn't right. :confused3 I am really really hoping I can get out for a walk tomorrow, even if it is a very slow pace, and that I will be "all better" by the time I leave next Thursday night.

Tiger Lily 03
03-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Happy Friday WISH Team!

Good luck to all those in events this weekend. MelR, be safe. (I read somewhere earlier about snakes, yech!)

It is the last weekend b4 our 1/2 next week in Columbus, OH, so the weekend will be a smooth one for me. I have been working on getting it to a slow pace and am amazed at how I cannot do anything relatively quick. I've completely lost my pace from January. Amazing. I know I can get it back when I'm ready though.

Newbies, slow and steady...you can do it! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Goofy training, for the one that asked wayyy earlier this week. I did MfM training. (John Bingham is my hero--I am a Penguin!) When the training called for LRs of 12 milers and up, I did half the distance the day b4 and then rested the day b4 and after those runs. Develop a good base now. I did weight machines, swimming, and faster training running until the serious training schedule began. Just don't overtrain. If your body tells you to slow down a bit, do so. My plan was to use up all the time allowed for each event. As it turned out, I did the half in almost all the time alotted but I did not for the full. I did sustain a faster pace than I have ever sustained for a LR on my first full.

Enjoy the weekend team mates!

gradtchr
03-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey All,

It has been WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY to long since I have posted but I have been lurking. :) February was a tough month with the flu and that pretty much ended the training at that point and the races we were supposed to run in February and March but I am fully back and ready to go again. DH and I are training for 2 5K's in April. I think they're back to back week wise but I need to verify that. We are running at the Fort Worth Zoo (I want to run that one just to see the animals at 7 in the morning) and then one at a local University. I can't wait! :goodvibes

Training wise we haven't run since pre flu but we did get an elliptical at the house which is our friend (or at least mine) and I am already noticing a difference in how much I can do. Hopefully tomorrow will be a good weather day and we can make it to the park to run. Fingers crossed!!

All who are sick and injured feel better soon it's not fun hurting and feeling horrid!
To all who have races this weekend GOOD LUCK and I can't wait to hear all about them!

MelRhoads
03-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Lily - This is not an adventure race weekend (I'm not doing the snake one, unless they need me at the last minute) This is actually a marathon weekend (sunday) We are doing the Hogeye marathon in Fayetteville, AR

Krista - I don't have the car today b/c phil's is in the shop, so I'm going to have to wait till tonight to go. Hogeye is on sunday so i have a little pig nose time :teeth:

Sunny - I'll bet the recumbent is no big deal to you b/c of all of the leg presses. 18 miles should be somewhere between a 5k and 10k in runners time. I'm thinking you find it easier b/c it uses different leg muscles (the ones you max out on!!!!!) You should pat yourself on the back for being such a tuffie :sunny:

AmyBeth68
03-24-2006, 10:22 AM
:sunny: Thinking of everyone who is sick here :(. Hope you all get well soon....and loads of pixie dust....Carrie, Sunny, Papa, Judy, Helen, Beth, Dana...and anyone else I forgot!!! Rest rest rest!!!

Did my KBX class today.....actually was a "light" workout :rotfl2: . Well, not as difficult as usual. More toning, etc. Which was good....especially after yesterdays run was less than stellar. Tomorrow is REST day! We'll see if I can pull 3.5 miles out of my hat on Sunday. Still not sure how that is going to happen :confused3 . Makes me wonder how 26.2 will EVER happen!!!! :rolleyes:

Cam: Hope your "barbie" hip gets better soon!!!! Especially before your trip :guilty: . Ouch! Sounds painful....don't hesitate to visit a doc if it doesn't feel better soon!!! :grouphug:

Krista: ITA.....I was floored that the Tuna grabbed T.O.! Can't believe any team would take a chance on him. Loose Canon....Ego-Maniac? Yikes! Well all I can say is good luck to Dallas! If anyone can handle him though it's Parcells. He handled LT right? Maybe he's good with the "initial" guys LOL! Bad joke :rotfl: . Also....back to running....GOOD LUCK on your run this weekend! :cheer2:

Papa Deuce
03-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Woo Hoo!

I woke up today and feel close to 100%!. The weather is fine and I think what I'm gonna do is get my dog and go for a 2 - 3 mile walk. NO RUNNING yet, for sure.

It feels great to be close to 100% FINALLY.

keenercam
03-24-2006, 11:34 AM
PD -- Can't wait to hear how you and pooch enjoyed your walk! What kind of dog? My cairn terrier wouldn't make it a mile, I'd bet.

andromedaslove
03-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Ok, the people on the RESORTS board don't seem to be answering. So I thought I might be able to get an answer here since it is somewhat running related. April 28-29 we will be at AKL for my son's 5th birthday. I was thinking about getting up that Saturday morning and going for a nice LONG run while there, however I haven't been able to find out wether or not AKL has a running trail like most of the other resorts do. Does anyone have any info?

Dana

AmyBeth68
03-24-2006, 12:49 PM
I HAVE to share with you guys! I just had an awesome, exciting phone conversation. Get this....my SIL called me and said "are you training for a race, your brother told me you've been running"? And I said...well yes the first is the 5K in April blah blah blah. Guess what. She's training for the same race LOL :rotfl: . Here I've been upset that I don't have anyone to run with etc etc and my SIL.....of all people....has been training to run too! Then she goes on to tell me she's then training to run a 10K and possibly a 1/2 marathon in the fall! :rotfl2: We were laughing...and giddy with excitement. Because we now have a running buddy! And it's great b/c I love her and she lives near me! Talk about lack of communication in my family! Wouldn't it have been hilarious if we ran into each other, literally, during the race! Anyway...I had to share b/c I'm on :cloud9: . We talked for an hour about running and training etc etc! Very very cool! :smooth:

Papa Deuce
03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
PD -- Can't wait to hear how you and pooch enjoyed your walk! What kind of dog? My cairn terrier wouldn't make it a mile, I'd bet.

Just got back. I estimate 3 miles. Even my dog is outta shape! As soon as we got back he collpased by the front door. :teeth: He is an Australian Sheperd. He'll be fine. He LOVES long walks. This was his first LONG walk in about a year. But he and I used to do 5 miles a day. And I used to take him to an area where he could chase the deer. He could NEVER get close, but he sure liked trying!

It is still sorta cold here. Right now it is 50 degrees or so, maybe less. I'm a warm weather kinda guy. As soon as it really warms up I'm hoping that he and I can do those 5 milers again.

Cingoutload
03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
DJBounce – Don’t stress over the time – Sounds funny coming from me – but it will come naturally. I’ve only been at this for a month and I’ve increased my time from a 20 minute mile to a 16.5 minute mile. It will come naturally. ….. And, I’m one of the newbies.

Skywalker – good idea on the socks….. I just won’t get any because I have to wear double ankle braces for my weak babies….

and to the rest of you.... I was lazy and didn't excersize monday - but got in five miles last night..... moving on and moving on.

aladdinsgirl
03-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Amy--Very cool about your sis-in-law! I think you should definitely do the Pig next year. I'm hoping to be preggo next spring (hoping Stephen doesn't see that ;) ), but I will definitely come down and cheer you on! I was talking football at work the other day and someone suggested that the Steelers pick up TO. I was like, hello! Could you see TO with Cowher or Dan Rooney?? He can't even get along with Andy Reid.

Dana--Unfornatuely, AKL doesn't have running trails. We ran into this problem last Oct. Stephen and I drove to the Wilderness Lodge and ran there. I also really like running in the Epcot resort area, around the Boardwalk and Y&B Clubs, down to Epcot entrance and then to MGM. Will you have a car on this trip?

Dave--I'm not sure if Vinitari was cut or left the Patriots, I was at the Community Center when I heard it and was only half listening. Either way, I'm surprised they let him go. I was also shocked that the Raiders picked up Aaron Brooks. Did you hear where Brees went? I really like him, I have always rooted for the Chargers (unless they were playing the Steelers, of course), but I hope the Chargers bomb this season with Rivers. Brees is just too good a qb to let go. I understand they are paying Phillip Rivers a ton of money to sit the bench, but it's still not right. The Bengals did that to Jon Kitna a couple of season ago with Carson Palmer. Granted, I hate the Bengals, but it still made me mad that they did that to Kitna.

Cam--Be careful!! Maybe you should get an appointment with your doctor! I sometimes have booty pain after a long run (or lately walk), it's in my lower back and upper booty. But it usually works itself out on the next workout.

Melissa--I will definitely say a prayer and send some :wizard: on Sunday. I can't wait to see your piggie pictures!!

Pape Deuce--Yay! You're feeling better!! :yay: How was your walk?

I better get back to work, talk to you all later!!

Mouse Skywalker
03-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Whoo Hooo it's Friday at 4:45p!!! :cool1: I am ready for this week to be over. It was a good week just really, really busy.

MelR- Good luck with your 26.2 mile training run this weekend! :thumbsup2 You better post some picts with those pig noses!

PapaDeuce- Glad you are feeling better. That cold going around this year is wicked stuff. Sounds like you had a great walk. Good for you for getting out there. You da' man!!! :thumbsup2

Dana- sorry I can't help you with the AKL running trails. I've never been there, but surely they have to have some sort of trails there. Oooh, I'm jealous you're going. It looks like such a cool, cool place. And btw - good for you for quitting smoking. I'm sending lots of PD :wizard: :wizard: to you for that.

Welcome back Beth :welcome: Don't be a stranger!

Amy- That's so cool that your SIL is training for the same race. That is great. So, are you going to get her down to WDW too? Weren't you having trouble with family support earlier? If so, it's great you have someone else in the family training to run.

Originally posted by aladdinsgirl: I was talking football at work the other day and someone suggested that the Steelers pick up TO. I was like, hello! Could you see TO with Cowher or Dan Rooney?? :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao: That is the funniest thing I've ever heard. There is absolutely no way TO would fit in with the Steelers. That person didn't have a clue about what they were talking about. Come on - this is a team of unselfish players. Plaxico Burress couldn't even fit in with Cowher there would be absolutely no way TO could work for the Steelers.
Did you hear where Brees went? Drew Brees went to the Saints. Now, people are thinking the Saints won't get one of the top QBs in the draft. He's definitely a good one, but I guess there is the question about his arm injury at the end of last season. I always liked watching him when he was at Purdue. My father went to Purdue so I always kind of rooted for them - except when they are playing Michigan.

I had my X-training yoga class today. Did a few minutes on the elliptical to warmup, and then did 1 hour of yoga. I actually think I'm getting better at it. I like the balance poses because I think it helps strengthen my lower legs.

Oh, I also talked to the custom sock place, and they are going to come up with a creative design for us and send it to me next week. I'll be sure to post details when I get them. I curious to see what they come up with. I told them lime green, our team name is W.I.S.H. which stands for We're Inspired to Stay Healthy, and our symbols are a penguin and a feather.

OK, I'm about out of here. Have a good weekend everyone. Happy training and stay safe everyone.

chimera
03-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Today's workout was cross-training by installing a ceramic tile backsplash in the kitchen ;) I made peace with the dreadmill and have been using it more often to decrease impact and stress on my foot. It's healing, but slowly. I haven't worn heels to work all week which has helped a lot, but still can't stand on our tile floors barefoot for very long. I've started the R/W plan from MFM to train up for the Minnie. I can't believe I scheduled these 3 major races and now I'm down to training for the last one :confused3

Football has been interesting lately. I'm terribly excited that Daunte Culpepper is coming to Miami. Daunte came out of UCF (where I did my undergrad) so it's cool to see him coming back to FL. Not surprised that T.O.'s going to Dallas...they seem to collect 'exotic' personalities (Keyshawn Johnson, Deion Sanders a few years ago). I've never been a Dallas fan, so I think that's a great place for TO :teeth: I am surprised that Vinatieri moved...interested in hearing more about that. Oh, and I'm getting my resume together...I hear there's a commisioner job up for grabs and there's a meeting to discuss it in Orlando next week. Wonder if I could take some time off work... :rolleyes1

And it was a great week on AI! Mandisa, Chris and Taylor are my top 3...glad to see the annoying Chicken Little leaving!

A big WISH team :welcome: to Darcey, Kristi, MdmMim!

Dave...the socks sound cool! Can't wait to see what they come up with. Btw, my screen name came from an undergrad immunology class back in the day :)

:wizard: for Sunny, Carrie and Cam! Hope you're all feeling better soon!

Jodi...I tried the bosu ball at the Y...takes some getting used to. What kind of things do you do on it?

Papa...Aussies are very cool! What color is yours? I'm partial to the merles.

AB...DD13 is a Kaley, too! She was almost a Caitlyn, but I thought Kaley would be more original ;) I think Kaley is now like the name Kelly was when I was in school(I always had at least one Kelly in every class), only there's soooo many more ways to spell it.

oops...gotta run...sorry to miss so many...the wild todd is paging me!

Papa Deuce
03-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Papa...Aussies are very cool! What color is yours? I'm partial to the merles.

oops...gotta run...sorry to miss so many...the wild todd is paging me!

Chimera.... we wanted theblue merle but the breeder didn't have any. SO w picked a black tri because he was the color of the dog we REALLY wanted.... a Bernese Mountain Dog. We didn't want a dog that usually only lives 8 or 9 years, though.

jodistar
03-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

Dave/Krista - Thank you for the great support :) I appreciate it! As long as I feel okay tomorrow, I will give it another go.....I'm bringing my new Garmin along so if I do fall behind - it's not a big deal I will be able to keep my own pace and know how far I've run, and the pace. I say if I feel okay only because this morning I woke up with this really bad sore throat - although, at this point it's hard to tell if it's a cold coming on or allergics (lets hope that it allergies - but it's been bugging me all week).

Oh good news! I made goal for my fundraiser (orginally $100.00) for the Breast Cancer Intiative 5k - so I upped my goal and now I have a goal of $175.00.....I'm at $125.00. The people at work were very generous! I'm not having much luck with the MS fundraiser but I hope that makes a turn around. The thing that makes it tough is that they are a month away from one another. Oh well, all I can do is try - and Bob and I will both contribute to both. I'm very excited about doing both events but a little nervous too.....I hope I'm ready for that 5k - I can do it on the threadmill but bring it to the road and it is different with my weak core.

Amy - that is great you are able to train with your SIL!

Cam - You can do lots with the BOSU. The first DVD that I have reminds me of workouts that I had done during Step Aerobics but with the BOSU it is a little bit more intense because you have to keep your balance.....really working the core muscles too! If you turn it upside down you can do a lot too! I've done push-ups, squats (when I got better at balancing I started to use the weighted ball), you can use it like the stability ball and do sit-ups on it......I'm still learning so that is the majority of things that I do on it.....I still have to get a feel for the new DVDs - I only had time to view the first one so far. If you or anyone else is interested in the DVDs they are done by STOTT Pilates and are called "Essential BOSU" and "Intermediate BOSU." Once I've tried both I will let everyone know how I like them (give a review of sorts). Oh- I purchased both of the DVD's on Amazon. :)

Have a good night everyone - I might turn in early tonight

Jodi

k_hase
03-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Dana, AKL has no trails. I ran at Fort Wilderness, it wasn't far from POFQ. The loops are all .25-.6 miles long and there are lots of them, so I managed a 12 miler with the loops and the getting to and from there. Plus, no traffic! Well, really slow traffic anyway. I think there is a path that goes from WL to FW too.

Good run this morning. 2 mile warmup, 1 mile @ 6:55, 2000 @ 7:05 pace, 2x800 at 6:45, 1 mile cool down. Very strange set, but its what the plan says, so its what I do.

Lisa loves Pooh
03-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Hello all--popping in from nowhere to say howdy.

thanks honeibee for the PM. I am still here.

I have abandoned training for the Minnie (I am concerned the medal won't be worht the 9 miles..I'm expecting a little more than the rubber chicken little thing from the kids races).

I may try to go ahead and do a 6 week training. And fake the 10% gain by doing a funky taper at the end--making the 9 miler the first of that distance..but still complying to the 10% rule. Not sure yet though. April is almost here, so I need to decide real quick.

Still on the fence for DL as well.

The knee needed a break as did I. Busy with this work at home job. I am almost able to do a butterfly stretch without pain--so the last of whatever ails the knee post surgery must be leaving. I no longer ice post work out. The infamous puff is still there (my first and only sign of swelling--save post surgery) that I had when I realized--UH OH). NOt sure it will ever go away boo hoo. I can kneel on that knee as well, but I am sensitive. Even though I can do it and it doesn't hurt, I favor the right knee and still get the heebie jeebies when thinking of kneeling on the left knee. My body remembers pain--and it remembers that shortly after surgery I went down on it by mistake and it hurt like hockey stick land.

I began the south beach diet as I am now at pre-season weight in July 2004. And i eat too much carbs and sugars and all that stuff. Time for a purge of the sugar and get myself back to normal again.

**butterfly stretch--sitting with knees bent and feet touching--remember how in gym class you would flap them like butterfly wings. I get a pain in the left side of my knee when doing that stretch--but it seesms to be finally going away.

We are traveling this week--so exercise will be interesting. But I'll bring my stuff just in case!

perfectmatch300
03-25-2006, 12:55 AM
It's been a slow training week for me. Took 3 days this time for the knee pain to subside enough for me to want to do much on it. I tried a Wal-Mart trip on Wed along with some other errands, and after about an hour of walking in the stores my left knee hurt so much I had to abort the errands and head for home. Today it was a lot better and I was finaly able to get a little bit of walking in along with some cross training. The best news is that I am now done with the injections!

Hope to get out on my bike over the weekend as it is supposed to cool down some over the next few days. I really want to swim, but not in 60º weather in the outdoor pool.

Sorry I am not getting to everyone, but it took me a long time to catch up on everyone this week and I really need to go get some sleep.

jodistar
03-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

Decided to take another rest day - still not sure what I have is a cold but I didn't get much sleep either way (last night).

I really want to try and get out there with my Garmin tomorrow. :thumbsup2 Although, I will probably only do 3 miles.

Have a good rest of the weekend!

Jodi

TnTsParty
03-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Don't have time to catch up on every post but wanted to check in for the last day this week. I did pretty good this week I had a few days I only did a mile but I don't think I took a rest day. I think I am more determined now since I have 2 weeks till my first 5k. Today I actually finally wogged 3 miles. I did it in approx. 35 minutes so I didn't think that was too bad. After that I went with my DH to help him paint a lattice fence for a customer. So I was busy this AM. Today is my neices 9th bday so looks like its Red Lobster for dinner. (her choice) Tomorrow will be a rest day for me. I may ride my bike in the morning. It was nice today because it was cool. Hope to catch up on all the posts later but want to say :banana: to anyone who participated in a race this weekend.

andromedaslove
03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Hello everyone, and thanks for all the positive comments on my attempt to quit smoking. However it didn't last, I faltered today. As I posted before my 17 month old has been sick with this cold, and it seems like he was dripping snot from everywhere, including his eyes. He has had a fever for the past two days, so today I took him in to see his doctor, and got some "wonderful" news. Not only is the poor baby sick, but he has pink eye, and a hernia. So now we are treating the cold and the pink eye and as soon as he has recovered from that he will be going back in for another surgery. Now understand, it isn't like he has had a ton of surgeries, he's only had one, but he has had 3 lengthy hospital stays since he was born. My oldest DS4 has never had to go to the hospital for ANYTHING. It seems in comparison that this one has been there constantly. Then to top it off, we don't have insurance. Luckily we can handle ourselves financially, but another hospital stay and surgery are definately gonna drain on us.

Ok, I am done complaining now. :goodvibes I am almost certain that he will be having his surgery sometime next week, and he is such a momma's boy that I will have to be with him constantly. So I am sure my training will suffer next week too. Does anyone have any good beginner running plans?! I may need them depending on how long this hiatus lasts. :teeth:

Anyway, I am still gonna hang out and check in with everybody. And as soon as I start getting to run again I will be posting my runs again.

Take Care,
Dana

Jen117
03-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Hey everyone. Just a quickly to post how I am doing. I feel like I am getting so much stronger. Today the girls had swim lessons. I was able to do 15 minutes of the cross trainer during the first class and 22 minutes of jogging (no walking) during the second class. I could have jogged father because I didn't feel any aches (just lots of sweat), but I had to go help get the girls showered. If the weather is nice tomorrow, I plan to jog outside. I have only been out for one walk so far because the weather this spring has been very yucky. They are saying tomorrow "should" be nice and in the 40's.

I can't wait to hear about all the competitions that were conquered this weekend. The posts here give me so much inspiration!!

gradtchr
03-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Today was my first real try at running outside again. DH and I walked 3 miles and I ran .25 miles and then we walked another .25 in just at 1 hour. We're going back out tomorrow to hopefully beat that pace but it's a start!

Jen117-Great job!!
Dana-hope the surgery goes well big hugs!
Jodi-I know the pain of illness take care of yourself!

Gotta run we're going to buy a new grill WHOOOO HOOOOOOO!!

plutosmyfav
03-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Guys
This is kind of a downer post. I can’t get ahold of Mom, so you’ll have to hear my wining. :confused3

As you know, I’ve been overwhelmed at work. Friday was a night mere. I got there at 8:30AM and turned around and found myself frantically trying to tie up lose ends at 5:30 so I could get to DS’s daycare on time. I don’t have 9 hours of recollection; it was all a blur. All I know is I have a “drop dead” deadline of April 18th that was supposed to be last Thursday and I still don’t know what I’m doing. I did something very out of character. I marched down the hall and grabbed people. (well, not literally) I basically said “do you know hardware? Come with me”, “do you know Simulink? I need you right now”. I did this until I had 6 hardware experts and two new guys that didn’t know any better. I have no authority to pull people off of their own projects but it’s a funny thing, when you speak with authority people responds affirmatively. I’m sure the new guys were thinking “who the h is she?” They probably went back to their desks to check the roster.

The good news is that not one of them could solve my problem, and the 8 of them forming a think tank still couldn’t come up with a “oh that’s how it goes” sort of aha moment. This is good news because I have been drowning in self-doubt and insecurity because the higher ups that dropped this in my lap keep telling me this should be trivial and acting curious as to why I’m struggling. Well if 6 MIT experts don’t see a readily obvious solution then it IS NOT TRIVIAL. Not to mention this is the sort of thing people go to school for 4 years to learn how to do. I got it dropped in my lap and the next thing I know I’m being billed as a hardware expert. The bad news is the flip side of the good news that my team of experts didn’t see a readily obvious solution and I still have to make this work.

The reason this is even remotely pertinent to the thread is I am battling a full blown panic attack. All day Friday and today my chest has been so constricted I have to force myself to take deep breaths. The only time that I don’t feel scared that I could be losing control is while I’m running. I even tried other exercises. I ran 6.5 miles today and my breathing was under control. On top of that, my blood pressure is out of control. I don’t know if its this panic stuff or one or both of the meds I had to start after the marathon, or the fact that I’ve been really sick for two weeks. But my normal bp is ~128/78. I’ve been monitoring it since Friday and I’ve had readings as high as 150/105 but mostly 140/95. And my usual "bragging rights" resting pulse rate in the 40s is now in the 90s! Can panic really cause that kind of a spike? I’ve been on the meds since mid-January so its odd that they could all of the sudden cause this. I’m a wreck. I've been working late, missing workouts and hardly seeing my family.

Sorry to be such a downer. My chest is imploding. I'd give anything to walk out those doors and never look back. Too bad I earn 80% of the family income. :confused3 :sad2:

Sunny

PS I did get in 6.5 miles thogh :goodvibes I ran at the track with my eyes closed! I just let my eye lids flutter enough to see the white lines on each side of my body. It was very trance like and therapeutic.

CarolA
03-25-2006, 09:19 PM
WOW This thread moves.

I tried to scan all the posts, but....

Dana, hope the surgery goes well.

I actually got up to 3.5 miles on the Treadmill. (It did take 50 mintues, but....) This week is going to be crazy so hopefully I will force a few days of training in there.

chimera
03-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Come join us for a new week!

Wk of Mar 26--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1066964)