PDA

View Full Version : Cruising Thur - ds has a fever!!

clovely
03-18-2006, 09:36 PM
This stinks! He fell asleep during dinner and when I checked on him he's burning up. We've got a few days - please tell me it'll be OK. I guess I'll call Monday and try to get him in. Even if the fever goes away, I want the pediatrician to look in his ears and whatever else. They've been looking forward to this for so long; I can't have him feeling yucky for this cruise!!!

kdsluvdisney
03-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Does your dr office have an 'urgent care' or anything like that around you? We took our DD into the urgent care before we left, (we were doing the land part first tho) she had a bad sinus infection. That way she had a few days doses in her before we were left. We explained the situation to the dr and he gave us an antiobiotic to speed it up. (Doesn't help much if its the flu or something but maybe there is something to help it speed up???)

clovely
03-18-2006, 09:49 PM
I've been trying to get them to take Airborne Jr. Can't get it down either of them. Maybe I'll try mixing it with grape soda or grape koolaid. I wish he had some kind of symptom like a sinus infection or ear infection. Nothing. He's been fine all day until right before dinner he started getting tired. This stinks!!! If I get him to the doctor Monday - maybe both of them, hopefully I could get her to give me something. My pediatrician is pretty stingy with antibiotics, which I like. But I can't get out to sea and something hit...he's only been on antibiotics a few times; maybe she'll throw me a bone! AAAAHHHH!

kdsluvdisney
03-18-2006, 10:05 PM
None of mine would take the airborne or ab. jr. either. (I tasted it and it was kinda yucky) My dr doesn't do antibiotics either, nor do we, so I think since we actually explained the situation he felt he could go ahead and give to us. Several times he has given us a prescription for 'if they don't get better' and he knows we haven't gotten it filled.

I do feel so sorry for you! I know I stress over those kinds of things before hand and just knew mine would get sick! Plus I would rather have antibiotics from home.

Good Luck!!!!

lbgraves
03-18-2006, 10:25 PM
There is a 24 hour bug going around here. DS rested after school one day & ended up with a fever 100.8. The next morning it was 99.6 but I kept him home that day. He was bouncing back before we picked up DD from school that afternoon. I hope that he feels better soon!

clovely
03-18-2006, 10:33 PM
I had something like that myself last Tuesday, Lisa. I was just nauseous all day but never had a fever (I rarely do even when I'm really sick). But that's a long time between then and now. But hopefully it'll be something like that. The irritating thing is I had to watch a friend's ds on Wednesday and he was coughing all day! Then I found out he got sent home from school on Thursday - great! It's just all over. I've been lax on the vitamins...I'm going to get creative with the airborne too!!

mommasita
03-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Oh boy, I am thinking of you...I would definitely go to the doctor though, just in case...My son who is 10 today, had a fever last week, and ended up with A BAD SINUS infection and on antibiotics...Only the second time in his life, but he needed them...

SO, pixie dust to you and your son, and in one sense it may be good that it happened now...Better now than on the cruise...

Let us know, we are thinking of you.. pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

JJsmama
03-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Hang in there. WIth my boys, the longest a fever ever lasts (if it can't be treated with antibiotics) is 3 days. My Ds#2 had the fever virus this Thurs, Fri and part of Sat. If it is something that can be treated, he'll be better in a day.

Happy cruising.

clovely
03-19-2006, 07:32 AM
Thanks! He is still a little warm this morning but he's really stuffy. So at least I have a symptom to work with (instead of letting my imagination go); probably just a cold. My pediatrician has one partner who we always end up getting when I make a spur of the moment appointment (my guess is because he doesn't have many regular patients). I'm going to hold out to see our regular doctor tomorrow, even if I have to wait till Tuesday. Her partner always says, "oh, it's just a cold" even if I know it's a sinus infection...and we usually end up back there seeing her a week later.

Even if it does just seem to be a cold, I'm going to beg for an antibiotic if there's any chance it could turn into something worse or if it will be compromising his immune system walking onto a crowded ship. Dd's complaining her head and throat hurt (which I think is for attention); they're opposite kids - ds swears he's fine even when he's burning up, can't breathe, and can't get off the couch. I had that bug earlier in the week and have felt run down and my throat a little sore. We're all taking the airborne even if I have to get creative to get it down them. Dh is surrounded by germs and is totally exhausted from a couple really rough weeks at work but he wont listen to me and take it. Oh well.

We've got a few days and you're absolutely right, way better now than on Wednesday night or on the boat.

Johnna_Story
03-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Don't worry - DS got strep two days before we left last year. Diagnosed Wednesday evening and we left for FLA on Friday, so he was 24+ hrs on antibiotics by the time we boarded on Saturday- perfectly fine. Thank God none of us got it in the mean time or while on board.

Just go to the doc as soon as you can. Positive vibes :goodvibes and PD your way... pixiedust: Have a great trip.

wdwstar
03-19-2006, 07:41 AM
dd had the fever for 4 days i took her to the DR. and the DR. said there is this fever "flu" going on and really there isnt anything you can do except rest.
She did give us a perscription for an antibiotics if the fever didnt go away in 2 more days. The fever finally went away 2 days later, no need for the antibiotics. I bet your ds will fell better before you leave, sending pixie dust :wizard:

kshabare
03-19-2006, 07:45 AM
All three of us were fine on the 2/25 Western. This past Monday DS11 had to leave school with a fever of 100.3. Wednesday he was still running a fever at dusk so I took him in. He has/had the Flu. DH and I haven't gotten sick so I'm sure he contracted it at school or at the Basketball Pizza Party!

I hope your son is alright - pixie dust for him and for your traveling companions. I hope he clears up before the plane trip. I'm still a little disturbed over our flight home from DCL. A little boy cried 80% of the trip home. That was the longest flight I've ever taken in my life. There was nothing the mom could do at all. The dad did nothing to help but wear his ear phones for the Song TVs. Ahhh.

One more word for all those passengers traveling..... PURELLLLLLLLL. Don't get sick!!!!!!

A tip I learned recently - cough into your sleeve, not your hand.

Kim

JJsmama
03-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Even if it does just seem to be a cold, I'm going to beg for an antibiotic if there's any chance it could turn into something worse or if it will be compromising his immune system walking onto a crowded ship.

While you are begging for the antibiotic, make sure and beg for something that doesn't have to be refrigerated while you are traveling down there.

Good Luck.

clovely
03-19-2006, 08:01 AM
While you are begging for the antibiotic, make sure and beg for something that doesn't have to be refrigerated while you are traveling down there.

Good Luck.

Oh, thank you!! We're just a 3-hour drive to the port but, still, not something you need to deal with. Thanks!

KrisannB
03-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Not to scare you BUT my children had the flu and this is what happens with the strain they had - a sudden fever - fine one hour - fever the next. My suggestion is get to the Dr. NOW because if is less than 48 hours of the first signs they can give you Tama Flu

My son and a classmate both tested positive with the flu with in an hour of each other - my son got Tama Flu and the other child did not (I am friends with his mother) - my son was back up feeling fine in 2 days and no fever while the other child was sick in bed for over a week. Her other child also got it and she did give him Tama Flu (by the time I convinced her to go get it it was too late for her first son) and the 2nd son was better before the first son.

Our Dr. gave everyone in the house a prescription for the Tama Flu since we had been exposed and we all took it and no one else got sick.

This is the same thing that happened last year - the Tama Flu is a great thing IF you get it in the time frame!

Krisann

Skuba2
03-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Me and my son had the flu and didn't realize it either until my dd came down with the same symptoms and tested positive to the flu. It is weird, my son had a high fever, cough and ears that were either infected or going to be. I was next to fall with a low grade fever, cough, lethargic as all get out and then yes, the ear that was heading toward an infection. Then my daughter fell a few days later, high fever, cough, and yes the ears. When I took her in, the doc (the 3rd one we had seen--mine and my son both went) found it odd that we all had the ear thing going on. Did a test on my dd and it was the flu. Said you are contagious during the fever and while you still have a significant cough. She got on the tamiflu and recovered in a few days. We of course were too late by then and the cough lingered forever though it did subside.

You have to get tested for the flu within 24 hours from symptoms to get the maximum benefits from the tamiflu. Not sure I would wait.

Good Luck!!

Are they still asking passengers if they have had a fever or been sick within so many days of sailing?

DG

lbgraves
03-19-2006, 10:29 AM
They ask if you have had flu like symptoms.

scottishwee35
03-19-2006, 11:09 AM
There is a 24 hour bug going around here. DS rested after school one day & ended up with a fever 100.8. The next morning it was 99.6 but I kept him home that day. He was bouncing back before we picked up DD from school that afternoon. I hope that he feels better soon!

Hi

Sound same with my son as he came home last Friday after School Club. He was sick, bad headache, sore neck and tummy. I went to work and start to worry if he get worst but when I got home he was okay and had a high temperature. Next day he was bouncing back and much better today. I think bug going around school!

Clovely : I hope your ds is feeling better and ready for Cruise next week :thumbsup2

Scottishwee35

curlybop
03-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Hope he's feeling better today! A few weeks ago my DD(4) got an ear infection. The dr. gave her an antibiotic liquid called Omnicef. It didn't need to be refrigerated, and she was better w/ no fever by the next day. She's NEVER had anything to knock out the stuff that fast. Just a suggestion if you're interested. :)

ivanova
03-20-2006, 10:12 AM
They ask if you have had flu like symptoms.
And if anyone in the group LOOKS like they are sick, they can refuse boarding.

As crappy as that is, be prepared for the absolute worst.

In the meantime, pixie dusting :wizard: in hopes that all is normal and everyone is feeling 100% on Thursday

Qball
03-20-2006, 10:38 AM
We went to our doctor Tuesday Feb 28th and DD was fine excpet a cold. We left for our cruise on March 2nd (had a layover in Toronto that night) and by the time we got to orland on the 3rd, DD had a very high fever. She's NEVER had a fever before in her entire 4 yrs of life. She was "out" for a day and a half and slept most of it except for waking her to eat a bit and drink and administer drugs. I guess, thankgoodness, it was a 24 ish hour thing.

Hopefully your DC will feel better soon. It really worries you as a parent, especially when going or on a holiday.

kdsluvdisney
03-21-2006, 04:19 PM
clovely -- DS doing any better?

Jakesmommy
03-21-2006, 06:50 PM
I am soooooo sorry about this......we had this same thing last week and my doc said that he had tonsilitus..(sp) They put him on zithromax and we're all good. Take him to urgent care or tell the receptionist that you are going on VACATION and need to be seen right away....

I still hope to see you there. I hope that your son gets to feeling better......

Melinda

westjones
03-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I hope your DS is feeling better. We sail on Sunday and I keep threatening everyone that they have to stay healthy! This is a big worry for us everytime we sail.

I hope it all works out!
DJ

clovely
03-21-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure I posted Sunday when dd started throwing up too! Can you believe that?!?! But they were both fine yesterday and today - how weird is that? I do have an appointment with the pediatrician tomorrow. I just want everyone to get the once over and get her advice on preventing seasickness and I'm taking my very persuasive aunt so maybe we can talk her into antibiotics...but it seems like ds just had a 24 hour thing and something must've just upset dd's tummy. They've both been a little stuffy off and on (mostly when they first wake up) but that's it.

I'm still the only one in the family doing Airborne!