View Full Version : 2-Way Radio for Cruise - Did you have to get a license?

03-18-2006, 07:10 PM
For the people who purchased the Motorola 2/way radios from Costco or Sam's club did you ahe to get a license. I haven't opened the box yet, but I read on the motorola site that you need to get a license for any 2 way radio that has both FRS & GMRS. I know you don't need a license for the FRS but since it has both it said you need a license. Anyone have any light to shed on this? They might not be worth it if i have to buy and additional $80 license. I have the Motorola Talabout T6510XLR pack from costco, they are yellow and it says they can go up to 10 miles.

Thanks, Heather

03-18-2006, 08:17 PM
The fine is far greater if you get busted talking on GMRS without a license. What people don't realise is that the FCC license only applies inside the US. It does not cover you when you use a two way outside of the US.

03-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I've known lots of people with FRS/GMRS radios (I have 4 of them), but I have never known anyone to even attempt to get a license. I think it's an outdated and unenforced requirement that no one takes seriously enough to repeal.

03-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the information. After reading reviews on Amazon I am almost tempted to take them back, the people who wrote reviews state that they have very poor ability to go any distance. I would hate to spend the money on a license and then take them on the ship and not have work very well. At least I got them from Costco so I could take them back if they didn't work on the ship, but I hate to get a license and then not ever use them. The license costs more than the radios.