PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Meet Thread Ideas

marcij
03-17-2006, 05:23 PM
What things have you planned for before or during your cruise with your cruise meet thread friends? Also, I've heard that sometimes people give little trinkets/gifts for kids and/or adults on the thread for the cruise. What was your favorite to get/give?

Thanks.

Marci

alikat99
03-17-2006, 06:05 PM
On 2 separate cruises we have given personalized pens with our cruise info on them. I sure hope that they were well received. I plan to do it again for our next cruise too!

WDWLVR
03-17-2006, 06:09 PM
On 2 separate cruises we have given personalized pens with our cruise info on them. I sure hope that they were well received. I plan to do it again for our next cruise too!

As a recipient of one of Amy's pens I can say they were very well received.

DH and I make personalized buttons for the DISers on our cruise. A great way to recognize each other over the course of the cruise. We also make little DIS magnets on our last cruise for each DISers stateroom.

Stitch#1
03-17-2006, 08:12 PM

I too received one of Amy's pen;s and thought is was the greatest little gift. I keep it in my pocketbook so everytime I use it it reminds me of the trip!

I saw on another thread that they gave out those rubber bracelets and had them customized.

Soccermom-Cheri
03-17-2006, 08:36 PM
To keep in touch, we all exchanged postcards with our addresses on them. But to make memories, thanks to our host- and hostess-extrordinaire, we've had parties in the Roy and Walt suites.

Room parties give you a chance to talk and get to know your DIS friends face to face. It's too hard to do at the sailaway meets.

ibouncetoo
03-17-2006, 11:01 PM
For our cruise next November we will:

Have the obligitory DIS meet departure day...3PM Promanade Lounge (comfy chairs). We will have neon green rubber bracelets made. We'll have a 'birthday' lunch at Lumineres on one of the sea days for all of us celebrating birthdays/anniversaries etc. That's it so far, but we have several months before we even need to organize stuff. There have been other ideas brought up (like the postcards from our home town/state) that will probably come to pass. Plus any other good ideas people post on this thread! ::yes::

Monstro
03-17-2006, 11:03 PM
All the kids in our sailing parties brought with them and exchanged post cards and magnets from all the different states. It was quite fun for them. We still have a lot of those magnets on our washer and dryer. :)

marcij
03-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Great ideas, everyone. Keep them coming! :flower:

Cruisin'goose
03-18-2006, 08:06 AM
What things have you planned for before or during your cruise with your cruise meet thread friends? Also, I've heard that sometimes people give little trinkets/gifts for kids and/or adults on the thread for the cruise. What was your favorite to get/give?

Thanks.

Marci

One the '04 Christmas cruise we had an ornament exchange, what fun!! DH and I also had ornaments with the shirt design (ship & 10day route) made for all of our DIS friends. I keep one of these hanging over my computer so I think of all of our friends whenever I am working.

mmouse37
03-18-2006, 08:06 AM
I have a another idea for the cruise meets threads but it is not what to give/receive...it is more of a functional idea....

There are so many different date formats people use when creating their title for their threads that makes it very difficult sometimes to find your thread when you are scrolling down the page....wouldn't it be better if there was a set format for the title like 11/04/06 Disney Magic....

Not November 4th
Not 11-04-06
Not November 4, 2006

I think the date in a set format (any format as long as it is consistent) and then the ship name and then whatever creative part of the title you want to add.

Right now there are so many different date formats being used. I think it should be standardized.....and not to crush anyone's creative titles...the creative parts in the title could could be added after the date/ship name in the title.

Just a thought to make things easier to find.

d'Isigny
03-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Ours was an outstanding group that held 2 'DIS-meets' and played 'DIS-tag'.

It was wonderful 'putting a face/voice to a screen name' :grouphug:. All over the ship...we kept running into 'our new friends'. I felt like we were on a 'ship of friends' (and you thought I would say - 'ship of fools' - shame on you).

DIS-tag was another highlight of this trip. Setting this up was a little bit challenging...but OH SO WORTH IT!! I completed this in excel and can send the file if any would find this useful. Coming back to our cabin to see little surprises left on fish-mail or delivered inside our cabin by our stateroom host - great memories. I still can't get over the outstanding creativity of these DIS'ers - we had a blast!!!

wltdsnyfan
03-18-2006, 11:34 AM
:sunny: Just droping in to say hi Marcij :eeyore:

Haley'smom
03-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Very cool ideas :woohoo: Everyone is soo creative....

clovely
03-18-2006, 07:18 PM
I have a another idea for the cruise meets threads but it is not what to give/receive...it is more of a functional idea....

There are so many different date formats people use when creating their title for their threads that makes it very difficult sometimes to find your thread when you are scrolling down the page....wouldn't it be better if there was a set format for the title like 11/04/06 Disney Magic....

Not November 4th
Not 11-04-06
Not November 4, 2006

I think the date in a set format (any format as long as it is consistent) and then the ship name and then whatever creative part of the title you want to add.

Right now there are so many different date formats being used. I think it should be standardized.....and not to crush anyone's creative titles...the creative parts in the title could could be added after the date/ship name in the title.

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO! I totally agree.

These are some cute ideas for getting all the DISers together. But, can you believe, I've found two other people who will be on my cruise next weekend and we're all from the same town?!?!? Well, three different sections of the same metro area. How weird is that?! I'm excited to meet them but I need to find someone from someplace much more exciting to ask to take home dd's Flat Stanley for school.

Indea88
03-18-2006, 07:25 PM
We all had matching green tees and neon green wristbands with the date of sail.. :banana:

pepsiontherocks
03-18-2006, 09:02 PM
I would like to know more about the Dish-tag. I love playing games with others - it's a great way to get to know one another. I have posted for over a month now and have only found one family who is cruising at the same time I am - April 23-27, 2006. I am a first time cruiser so I'm just learning about all this stuff.

Ours was an outstanding group that held 2 'DIS-meets' and played 'DIS-tag'.

It was wonderful 'putting a face/voice to a screen name' :grouphug:. All over the ship...we kept running into 'our new friends'. I felt like we were on a 'ship of friends' (and you thought I would say - 'ship of fools' - shame on you).

DIS-tag was another highlight of this trip. Setting this up was a little bit challenging...but OH SO WORTH IT!! I completed this in excel and can send the file if any would find this useful. Coming back to our cabin to see little surprises left on fish-mail or delivered inside our cabin by our stateroom host - great memories. I still can't get over the outstanding creativity of these DIS'ers - we had a blast!!!

marcij
03-18-2006, 09:03 PM
:sunny: Just droping in to say hi Marcij :eeyore:

Hi, Flo. Just trying to gather some good ideas for our cruise!

Some more great ideas added today. Keep them coming!

gimpeaux
03-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Most of the DIS folks on our cruise meet thread have sent me money to buy them bracelets (see picture), so I will be bringing them all to the sailaway meet just one week from today!. :cool1:

What's DIS tag, and how do you play?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/gimpeaux/P1010392.jpg

ThePhantomsGirl
03-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Where did you buy the bracelets with the date on them?

gimpeaux
03-18-2006, 09:50 PM
I ordered them from this web site (http://www.reminderband.com/) . They offer three sizes -- large, medium, and child. Large is 8-3/8" in circumference and described as fitting most adults. Medium (the size in the pic) is 7-3/8" in circumference and described as fitting most kids, teenagers, and small-framed adults. Child is 5-7/8" in circumference and described as fitting children 4 to 6 years old.

But the site requires ordering in multiples of 20, and you can't divvy up a group of 20 into different sizes. So if you want any adult-size wristbands, you have to order 20 or 40 or 60, etc. of them. And if you want any medium-sized ones, you have to order 20 of those, or 40 or 60, etc. I ended up ordering 20 adult and 20 medium for $96 including shipping ($2.40 per band), and managed to find folks on our DIS cruise meet thread to buy all of them. And being the kind of great people DIsers are, everyone sent me a check right away.

ibouncetoo
03-18-2006, 11:23 PM
gimpeaux, I was going to PM you to see if these came from reminderbands....that's where we will be ordering ours from. I thought they wouldn't use the word Disney (for copyright reasons or something) so we were going to use a DIS ney or DIS-ney variant. I'm glad to see that they did use Disney. BTW, you are cruising with one of my best DIS buddies...geffric is a sweetie....you'll love her! ::yes::

For the group lunch we are planning, I'm going to make reminder notes and get some of the older kids to place them on the 'fish' on the stateroom doors the day before. I'm thinking with all the excitement and things to do, some folks may forget their end of cruise, sea-day luncheon. (Or is it just me, who at 2PM thinks....wasn't I supposed to be somewhere for lunch today??????) Plus I'll be able to advise the head server if our anticipated number changes.

wltdsnyfan
03-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Hi, Flo. Just trying to gather some good ideas for our cruise!
Marci,
Check this web site out. www.orientaltrading.com I order from them all the time. This is were I get the things for baseball and parties. The have all kind of different things that can be personalized.

MJ5MOUSE
03-19-2006, 03:11 PM

Not November 4th
Not 11-04-06
Not November 4, 2006

Great Idea :thumbsup2
I always have trouble finding my thread.
Interesting coincidence, Our Log in names are almost the same, MJ is me MOUSE is my daughter, the 5 has no meaning.

marcij
03-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Bump -- keep those great ideas coming! :sunny:

ibouncetoo
03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Actually, we did try to get everyone to list the cruise dates a specific way. I think it was like 20061205....for Dec 5 2006. At least that's what I remember back when I was first checking out DCL info. Don't know why it didn't 'stick' :confused3 OR maybe that was how they did the trip reports?

marcij
03-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Bump -- I know there are lots more good ideas out there.
Come on DIS -- please share those great ideas! :sunny:

Kimmielee
03-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Subscribing for great ideas..... I thought of the postcards, but not the state magnet.... we have several on our cruise from other countries....

what about bringing samples of what your state/country is most famous for? I'd be bringing everyone a car from the Motor City :rotfl2:

dgaston
03-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Now how do you package governor corruption? Hailing from CT here!

mmouse37
03-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Great Idea :thumbsup2
I always have trouble finding my thread.
Interesting coincidence, Our Log in names are almost the same, MJ is me MOUSE is my daughter, the 5 has no meaning.

That is very funny....as I am an MJ ....small world!!!

marcij
03-21-2006, 09:06 PM
More! More! Keep them coming, please! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

marcij
03-23-2006, 08:15 AM
:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

More?

castlegazer
03-23-2006, 08:37 AM
We're bringing our favorite wine too for a suite party.

I like the idea of the "what your state is famous for" Hmmmm :scratchin wonder what mine is - lobster or Ted Kennedy?

We also are doing reminderbands. I think someone is doing name tags and we have other surprises up our sleeves that I don't want to reveal to them.

marcij
03-23-2006, 09:04 AM
We're bringing our favorite wine too for a suite party.

I like the idea of the "what your state is famous for" Hmmmm :scratchin wonder what mine is - lobster or Ted Kennedy?

We also are doing reminderbands. I think someone is doing name tags and we have other surprises up our sleeves that I don't want to reveal to them.

Would you or anyone who has ideas that they don't want to be revealed on here PM me and I won't post them?

marcij
03-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Bump :sunny: :sunny:

marcij
04-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Anyone with other ideas? Any help appreciated! :)

tomspixie
04-29-2006, 09:59 PM
These are awesome ideas!!! We had not found the boards before our other cruises, so this is really neat! As we get a bit closer, if I get a list of girls...girls who would wear a ribbon...I would be happy to do ribbon with their names and our cruise date on it.

I'll have to think harder for the boys! pooh: think think think!!!

best of days all! :tink:

MrsJobba1
04-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Hi Marci, Flo and Tif :wave2:

There are some really good ideas here.

The last two cruises, i wore a lime green vest top when I embarked but never saw anyone else wearing lime green. :sad2:

I will gladly bring some postcards from Sunderland ( I live in the North East of the UK).

I'll have to have a think about what else, I can just imagine security @ the airport going through my case :rolleyes1

txaggie94gigem
04-30-2006, 01:55 AM
i bought pirate tattoos for pirate night at oriental trading...i also bought glow in the dark bracelets/swizzle sticks on ebay///they were a big hit!

Hi Kevin! we all loved DIS-tag when we palyed it! we got disney stickers, disney scrapbook stuff, candy for the movies, pirate stuff for pirate night, a disney beanie animal, personalized pictures, a cd of special music, postcards from all over, special foods/recipes from where we live...

it was so much fun to come back each day and see goodies on the door!

CACruisin'
04-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Such fun ideas! Some other door goodies were "Dori" sunscreen lipbalm and Purell in a lime green holder. Also, small bubbles from Oriental Trading are fun.

MrsJobba1
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi

Just bumping for some more ideas :thumbsup2

KimberlyC
05-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Did I miss the explanation of how DisTag works? If not, can someone please explain how to set it up. It sounds like fun!

Thanks!

mmouse37
05-01-2006, 11:42 AM
On the August repo we had so many Dis'ers who brought so many different things...name tags, lanyards, pins, buttons, beads, etc.

I put together some of my favorite DCL pics from our previous cruises and made a photo collage that I gave out to anybody who wanted one....it had our cruise info on it as well... here is a pic...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/mmouse37/shipoffoolsphotocard.jpg

Oops...guess I sized it too small....I will post again with a bigger size when I get home tonight!!

jiminyC_fan
05-01-2006, 05:47 PM
On the August repo we had so many Dis'ers who brought so many different things...name tags, lanyards, pins, buttons, beads, etc.

I put together some of my favorite DCL pics from our previous cruises and made a photo collage that I gave out to anybody who wanted one....it had our cruise info on it as well... here is a pic...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/mmouse37/shipoffoolsphotocard.jpg

Oops...guess I sized it too small....I will post again with a bigger size when I get home tonight!!

I am one of the lucky ones that got her photo collage. It was an awesome gift.

jiminyC_fan
05-01-2006, 05:54 PM
We all had personalized matching lanyards on the Eastern PC cruise. I would love to be able to buy those again. Anyone reading this thread know where they were purchased from? They were so soft and more comfortable to wear than those stiff ones like DCL's.

sirena
05-01-2006, 06:22 PM

Not November 4th
Not 11-04-06
Not November 4, 2006

I agree. Since I could not find my meet thread I started to post in the Dec double scoop until someone directed me to the Sept double scoop thread already happening.

Hygiene99
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM

Thanks.

Marci

Here is some of the stuff that took place on our last cruise. :teeth:

click here (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=8432042&postcount=10824)

sirena
05-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I must ask, why the lime green? Seems that everyone chooses this color... :confused3

Mary Jo
05-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I must ask, why the lime green? Seems that everyone chooses this color... :confused3

Many many moons ago -- I think back in 2000, though it could have been 1999, DISers began making suggestions on how we could recognize each other at WDW, since so many went, and someone suggested how about a ribbon that was a certain color -- people voted and lime green was chosen, so a lot of people will have something lime green to tie us together. :thumbsup2

cgcw
05-02-2006, 06:59 AM

Another who received one of Amy & Chris' pen. They were very nice and a great reminder.

On the same cruise, I put together goodie bags for some of the cruisers based on some fun we had on our cruise meet thread. It seemed like several of us went for pedicures for the first time right before we sailed, so I put together a little gift to keep our feet sweet!

Some of us also did magnets and left them on others doors. It was fun to do and a nice reminder of the special times we shared.

cgcw
05-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Another thing we did after our cruise was one of the families coordinated a photo exchange. :cool1:

Those of us who participated, sent a disk with our pictures on it to them. They took all of our pictures and grouped them by day. Once done, we all received a disk back with everyones pictures on it. It was great to see everyones pictures and there were several of different scenery shots that we didn't think to take ourselves. :thumbsup2

marcij
05-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Here is some of the stuff that took place on our last cruise. :teeth:

click here (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=8432042&postcount=10824)

WOW -- thank you for posting that. It sounds like ya'll had an outstanding trip!

Thanks again for sharing.
BTW -- love the picture in your signature...

marcij
05-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Thank you to everyone who has posted. I really appreciate all the great ideas you have shared.

Does anyone know where to order the lime green elastic bracelets?

TiggerKing
05-02-2006, 08:06 AM

Amy, where did you purchase the pens?

ibouncetoo
05-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Does anyone know where to order the lime green elastic bracelets?

The silicone braclets (not elastic) can be ordered at www.reminderbands.com (http://www.reminderbands.com)

marcij
05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
The silicone braclets (not elastic) can be ordered at www.reminderbands.com (http://www.reminderbands.com)

Thank you!

Indea88
05-02-2006, 04:46 PM
We had lime green reminder bands that someone from our cruise meet graciously supplied that read "The Dis Rocks the Magic" with our sailing date. It was a nice keepsake reminder!!! :thumbsup2

alikat99
05-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Amy, where did you purchase the pens?
Wow, I guess it's a good thing that I came back to this thread. I ordered from www.penimpressions.com. Great company, quick shipping. Plus, they carry all kinds of personalized stuff!!!

jiminyC_fan
05-03-2006, 03:44 PM
We had lime green reminder bands that someone from our cruise meet graciously supplied that read "The Dis Rocks the Magic" with our sailing date. It was a nice keepsake reminder!!! :thumbsup2
I absolutely love the saying. :thumbsup2

marcij
05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks again for all of the great ideas.

Does anyone remember where the personalized lanyards were ordered? That sounds very interesting! :thumbsup2

pepsiontherocks
05-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks again for all of the great ideas.

Does anyone remember where the personalized lanyards were ordered? That sounds very interesting! :thumbsup2
I bought my lanyard from Passporters.com (I think that was the link.) I don't remember what I paid for it - I bought the package deal where I got a lanyard, a Passporters pin (not worth it), and 2 luggage tags (no better than the cheap ones you can buy at Wal-mart). If you get yours through Passporters, DO NOT buy the package deal - buy just the lanyard.

The lanyard served its purpose for me but it was not worth the price I paid (I think I paid about $15). Mine is blue with "Passporters" written all over it - I would have prefered a plain solid colored one that I could use after the cruise (like to carry my work ID in). But with Passporters written all over it, I do not think it is appropriate to use at work (I work in the justice department - in the courtrooms).

The add for my passporters lanyard said it is big enough to hold your travel documents in (airline tickets, etc.) - IT IS NOT BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD THAT stuff.