PDA

View Full Version : Just booked my first cruise! What do I need to know??

LJC1861
03-17-2006, 04:47 PM
My partner Lisa and I will be cruising on the 4 night cruise on 4/22/07. I am SO excited and it is a total surprise for her at this point. My head is spinning with trying to absorb so much information regarding dining, activities, excursions, etc.....

What are the important things to know, being a first time cruiser??

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Linda

we4blairs
03-17-2006, 05:15 PM
We cruise out April 6 and this board has been a HUGE help. I check it every day and have learned so many tips. Somewhere there is a thread that takes you to an excel spreadsheet that has all the tips summarized - very helpful; unfortunately, I don't know how to find it for you!

Also Castaway Cay website (just add dot com) - i'm new so i can't post addresses yet either - anyway, it has been very helpful too. has secrets, menus, etc.

good luck ...let the countdown begin!

mommasita
03-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Hello, and welcome to the club.. :teeth: There is a sticky #4 on the top of this page with FAQ's...and this is a fantastic place to start off...I agree with the preivous poster about this being a great place for information..There is also a cruise meet on the top, if you click it you can possibly find your cruise date and chat up with fellow cruisers; if that interests you...

This is a great bunch of people, so ask away if you can not find what you need or want to know.. :banana: :grouphug:

alikat99
03-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I also agree to keep reading these boards, you will find TONS of information. And, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask it. Someone here will have the answer.

Also, look for a cruise meets thread for your cruise and if there isn't one, start one. It's a great way to meet DISers ahead of time! I've met some GREAT friends before our cruises, and it made the cruise SO much more fun.

MommaluvsDis
03-18-2006, 12:03 AM
First off, by the time you sail, you will need passports due to the laws changing.

Next, get a note book and divide it into sections:

Port embarkation
boarding ship
Island adventure and shore excursions, etc. (just some examples)
and write down tips as you see them on these boards.

Next take 3 times the film and batteries for your camera or if you use digital, go to Shutters onboard and have the pics downloaded onto a disc and start snapping again.

Don't forget pirate attire for Pirate's Night.

Pack extra sunscreen. The sun can be brutal!

Pack a shoe organizer that hangs on the bathroom door. A wonderful way to keep toiltries organized and out of the way yet still handy. The bathroom vanity is SMALL.

Put your empty suitcases under your beds. The beds lift up easily and you can just slide them under out of the way. Need more floor space? Ask the room host to remove your coffee table if you're not planning to use it. Really gives you more space.

Participate in the activities. If the conga line comes your way, jump on!

Find the good chairs with the cushions on deck four and the almost always deserted verandah aft on deck 7.

Ask as many questions as you want to here.

pppiglet
03-18-2006, 12:12 AM
And go to a bookstore or passporter dot com. and buy a Passporter Guide for DCL. It's the best reading!

LJC1861
03-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all the tips!

I am just so excited about this cruise. We will be in cabin 7070 so the deserted aft deck might be just for us!

I am going to check out the Passporter. I am a bit of a compulsive planner and don't want to miss out on anything.

Linda

ThePhantomsGirl
03-18-2006, 10:23 AM
The Passporter is JUST about to come out with the new edition.

This board will be a large source of information for you. You'll see some differing opinions on various things - but that's normal when you have a large number of people involved. But the amount of information you can get is incredible! Looking for your cruise thread - GREAT idea.

kdsluvdisney
03-18-2006, 11:27 AM
We just returned -- I am a compulsive planner and the board was the best!!!! I learned more tips and info just by reading the boards. I just wish I would have found this board and booked earlier. You have enough time you'll be able to read this and learn all the tips early. Just read, read, read! All the 'sticky's' are great. I also like that one about write the tips down, I didn't do that and have to go, I remember seeing......

The best part is the anticipation! (Ok, maybe not!)

:disrocks:

TheWog
03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
2 bathing suits. One to wear while the other dries.

You can't do everything. Just go with the flow, pick some important things to see, but don't get worked up and stressed trying to do everything.

Have a great time!

repeatcruiser
03-20-2006, 05:27 PM
TheWog's advise is the best - don't try to do everything - you can't, and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to and wind up dissappointed because you will miss something.

Pick out the things you want to do most, and plan for those. Copies of Navigators are posted on this site - these list all the activities each day.

Don't forget to plan some time to relax in a deck chair with a glass of wine or other beverage of your choice.