PDA

View Full Version : parasailing at CC

disney_imagineer
03-17-2006, 02:09 PM
for those lucky folks who have parasailed at castaway cay, i have questions:

1. how'd you like it? was it worth the cost for 5 minutes of air time???

2. when going as doubles, are the two people side-by-side or tandem (front and back of each other)?

3. do they bring you down and dunk or dip your feet all the time? or do you request that added fun?

thanks! i'm a newbie and looking forward to my first DCL trip this year!!!

Verandah Man
03-17-2006, 02:44 PM
for those lucky folks who have parasailed at castaway cay, i have questions:

1. how'd you like it? was it worth the cost for 5 minutes of air time???

2. when going as doubles, are the two people side-by-side or tandem (front and back of each other)?

3. do they bring you down and dunk or dip your feet all the time? or do you request that added fun?

thanks! i'm a newbie and looking forward to my first DCL trip this year!!!

1. My DD(12 at the time) and I enjoyed our flight on CC, and yes I thought it was dollars well spent for something that we had never done before.

2. We were tandem, DD was in the front and I was in the back.

3. My DD and I got dunked, we didn't ask for it, but we sure did think it was fun to be dunked. Only one lady on our excursion asked not to be dunked, the rest of us were all dunked.

cepmom
03-17-2006, 02:54 PM
We went last August and had a great time. It was me, DH, DD15 and DD8. DD8 and DH went tandem, she was in front. I have no regrets about spending the $$...but we don't plan on doing it again next time...I think once was enough.

None of the people on the boat we were on got dunked, so it probably depends on the group you go out with. There were two boats doing the parasailing when we went.

ricka47
03-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Does tandem and single cost the same? I was surprised to hear my wife say that she wanted to try it next time.

cepmom
03-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I believe it is a per person cost, so a couple going tandem would cost the same as 2 individual.

mikerry
03-17-2006, 03:01 PM
I see that someone mentioned that you are on a boat. Do you take off from the boat up into the air? Or from land? My DH and DD (10) are going to go tandem and I'm hoping that they take off from a boat. (nervous Mom :rolleyes: here). I've seen way too many "America's Funniest Videos" where the poor parasailer starts off on the beach and ends up face first in the sand! :sad1:

Thanks!

cepmom
03-17-2006, 03:06 PM
mikerry ~
yup ~ you take off and land on the boat itself. It was very easy ~ didn't require any skill at all (which is good because I'm lacking in that area ;) )

I parasailed once in Cancun where you had to take off and land on the beach and I was so scared I would smash into a tree or a hotel or something!!

DisneyMom&Fan
03-17-2006, 03:51 PM
I see that someone mentioned that you are on a boat. Do you take off from the boat up into the air? Or from land? My DH and DD (10) are going to go tandem and I'm hoping that they take off from a boat. (nervous Mom :rolleyes: here). I've seen way too many "America's Funniest Videos" where the poor parasailer starts off on the beach and ends up face first in the sand! :sad1:

Thanks!

Ditto! Remember the woman on AFV (she was slightly larger, like myself) who was dragged on the beach towards the water? DH said he could see me doing the same thing. :rolleyes: I still lol even when I think about it! :lmao:

disney_imagineer
03-17-2006, 04:17 PM
so to guarentee the fun of getting wet, is it best to inform the boat crew? i don't want to make a formal request out loud because i want to surprise the girlfriend. but yet, want to make sure we get a dunking. :rotfl: any sneaky thoughts? :stir:

Verandah Man
03-17-2006, 04:31 PM
so to guarentee the fun of getting wet, is it best to inform the boat crew? i don't want to make a formal request out loud because i want to surprise the girlfriend. but yet, want to make sure we get a dunking. :rotfl: any sneaky thoughts? :stir:

Make your request known to the excursion operator on the boat, that's what one man did on our boat, and we all agreed to be dunked but the one woman that went up by herself. I saw on the DCL website that the parasailing at CC has been increased to 75.00 per person, but to me it is still worth the $$ to do it at least once.

Have fun and enjoy your flight!!!

Connie of Trenton
03-17-2006, 05:42 PM
1. I loved going parasailing while in CC. The view was amazing. I think it was worth the money at least one time!
2. The people who went double were sitting front and back.
3. I was asked if I wanted to get wet.

If you want pics of your experience take a water camera with you. My husband (who would not parasail EVER!) was not allowed on the boat so you could ask someone who is on to take pics for you.

Another fun thing to do on CC is the banana boat ride. Wouldn't recommend if you have back problems as its a rough ride, but wow it provided alot of laughs.

MickeyD
03-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Ok, what about weight restrictions for going tandem? If I work up the nerve to parasail, I would want either dh or ds to go with me (live together, die together, I always say) :) anyhoo...is there a limit on what they can take up tandem.

Lisa

Verandah Man
03-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Ok, what about weight restrictions for going tandem? If I work up the nerve to parasail, I would want either dh or ds to go with me (live together, die together, I always say) :) anyhoo...is there a limit on what they can take up tandem.

Lisa

Yes, the maximum weight is 375 pounds.

tynkerbell
03-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Yes, the maximum weight is 375 pounds.

I thought I'd read the max weight was 350. :confused3

Verandah Man
03-17-2006, 09:52 PM
I thought I'd read the max weight was 350. :confused3

I just looked in my DCL Excursion booklet and it states: Guests must be at least 8 years of age and weigh more than 90 lbs., but not exceed 375 lbs. Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult.

matsterrocks
03-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Do they tandem you with a stranger or can you go by yourself?

LuvEeyore
03-17-2006, 10:35 PM
You can go by yourself. Most everyone got dunked (we were in early December) The water was warm. The view was well worth the $$.

Jillpie
03-17-2006, 10:39 PM
I was just a tad disappointed with this experience. I went tandem with my DS, that part was fun. But if its a huge thrilling experience, it may be a let down for you. I thought it would be hugely exciting, but it was more of a peaceful time up there. I don't know, can't really explain it any other way. I probably wouldn't spend that much money again on it. But do it once, just for the peaceful feeling you get out of it.

Verandah Man
03-18-2006, 06:36 AM
I was just a tad disappointed with this experience. I went tandem with my DS, that part was fun. But if its a huge thrilling experience, it may be a let down for you. I thought it would be hugely exciting, but it was more of a peaceful time up there. I don't know, can't really explain it any other way. I probably wouldn't spend that much money again on it. But do it once, just for the peaceful feeling you get out of it.

That's what my DD thought as well when she saw my excursion booklet. When we got up above the water she said, "This isn't exciting like I thought it was going to be, it's cool, but not exciting." I enjoyed the peacefulness and the view. I also took a waterproof camera up with me and got some nice photos. Like others have said, I wouldn't go out of my way to pay those $$ again unless someone in my family wanted to do it, but didn't want to go by themselves. My DD said she was glad she did it, but has no desire to do it again. It is just something that you have to experience for yourself.

AshAlytwins
03-18-2006, 10:16 AM
My girls got to do it as a suprise last December and they loved it!!! I may actually do it this year!!!http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/AshAlytwins/DSC00064.jpg

tynkerbell
03-18-2006, 09:13 PM
I just looked in my DCL Excursion booklet and it states: Guests must be at least 8 years of age and weigh more than 90 lbs., but not exceed 375 lbs. Children under 13 must be accompanied by an adult.

ah, ok... but shh, don't tell hubby, I told him 350 to tandem so he's losing a little weight. ;)

J&B_Disney
03-18-2006, 09:17 PM
I chickened out last time and didn't do the parasailing. Seriously thinking about it for our next cruise, the pictures are amazing! Is there an experienced person on the tour that you can go tandem with? Or can you only go tandem with each other?

Verandah Man
03-18-2006, 09:20 PM
ah, ok... but shh, don't tell hubby, I told him 350 to tandem so he's losing a little weight. ;)

OK, mums the word!!! ;)

mamaof2
03-18-2006, 11:31 PM
I wear contact lenses, should I wear goggles? I have never been on a cruise or done parasailing. This is my own mothers day gift.

Verandah Man
03-19-2006, 03:54 AM
I wear glasses and I kept mine on for the entire time without any problem. From what I saw in our boat, those of us that there were dunked, the water only went as far as our waist. Since I went tandem with my DD, she was in the front, she was dunked about up to her waist, but the water only got to about my knees.

cepmom
03-19-2006, 08:26 AM
I wear contact lenses, should I wear goggles? I have never been on a cruise or done parasailing. This is my own mothers day gift.
I wore my contacts without any problems...it's not very windy up there ~ just very peacful and not wild. You should be fine with contacts on.

lmok
03-19-2006, 10:35 AM
My daughter (11) and I are going to do this in June. She has wanted to do it for a long time and we did not do it on our last cruise in 2004. How can I get out of it now that we have been and know how to make reservations early -not. So, we are scheduled and I have to do it. I am scared to death :earseek: but can't let her know or she will back out because I am scared. We of course do not want to be dunked!!!

:rolleyes1

kellib36
03-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Just a comment because I don't see anyone else mentioning it.

You can request single or tandem, but the captain makes the final decision!! If someone is too light, or too heavy, the captain will tell you for safety reasons you must go tandem or single. Guessing the 375 (350) is total weight, but I don't kow that for 100% sure.

When we went in Jan, it was 2 couples, and a Dad with his son. The Dad was making grumblings about having to pay full price for only a tandem ride. His son was pretty slight and I know from our first experience, that's probably why the captain made that decision. After a while, he figured out that we all got a longer ride since we only had a total of 4 rides for 6 people.

Also, I've never done parasailing anywhere but CC, but the safety precautions they take make me VERY comfortable!!

kellib36
03-19-2006, 11:05 AM
My daughter (11) and I are going to do this in June. She has wanted to do it for a long time and we did not do it on our last cruise in 2004. How can I get out of it now that we have been and know how to make reservations early -not. So, we are scheduled and I have to do it. I am scared to death :earseek: but can't let her know or she will back out because I am scared. We of course do not want to be dunked!!!

:rolleyes1

You will be amazed at how you like it! Just be sure to let the guys know you don't want to be dunked. They are very good about making you FEEL safe and KEEPING you safe.

I will tell you, though, if you are loud about dunking other people, you better hope you're already done!! :goodvibes The first trip, I was the first to go up and my dh told me after we got done that the guys were taking bets about dunking me. My dh said no, but another guy was all "Oh yeah, dunk her, dunk her". I didn't get dunked, but guess who did!!! :rotfl2:

What goes around comes around!!! Also, if the weather is chilly, probably no one will get dunked unless they REALLY ask for it!

mamaof2
03-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I wore my contacts without any problems...it's not very windy up there ~ just very peacful and not wild. You should be fine with contacts on.
for the answer. I am looking forward to parasailing- it will be my 1st time on a cruise also. I am so excited!!! YAY!!!

disney_imagineer
03-19-2006, 10:02 PM
how many parasailors do they have on the boat at a time? and how do you pre-book for this (or other CC) activities? can it be done before you board the ship?

Verandah Man
03-20-2006, 05:55 AM
I think we had about 12 people in our group that went parasailing. If you do the parasailing excursion on CC you can pre-book before you get on the ship, you just have to wait until the excursion bookings open up.

lmok
03-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Does anyone know approx. how much time each boat would be out if you had 12 people on your boat. I'm tring to plan since my other daughter will be in Scuttle Cove.

:goodvibes

Verandah Man
03-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know approx. how much time each boat would be out if you had 12 people on your boat. I'm tring to plan since my other daughter will be in Scuttle Cove.

:goodvibes

You should plan on being on the boat about one hour.

mamaof2
03-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Can you please tell me about how much I should tip the parasailing crew.
Its my first time doing something this insane.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

MrsJobba1
03-20-2006, 01:57 PM

Yikes
I had planned on stopping and watching DH , but if I have to wait an hour, Serenity bay is calling my name !

Is it best to book am or pm? We will be @ castaway cay in early August.

;)

shadownoze
03-20-2006, 02:55 PM
We did our first parasailing last Saturday on CC. Although my wife and I planned on going up separately, the captain on the boat thought she was too small to go alone since the winds were rather strong. So we went tandem...and I didn't think until just now that, together, we would be over the 375 pound mark. So I guess that's just an arbitrary number; we had no trouble being lifted and they certainly never weighed us or even asked how much anyone weighed.
That said, we loved it! No skill necessary, no athletic ability needed. Just a gentle rise off the boat and a beautiful, quiet soar over that turquoise water. There were eight passengers on our boat and two crew members. Everyone on our trip went tandem. Highly recommended. Didn't get a drop of water on me.

tynkerbell
03-20-2006, 03:01 PM
If you go tandem do you get a longer ride? :p

disney_imagineer
03-20-2006, 05:22 PM
was thinking of bringing two cameras for this excursion. cuz of our dunking, one underwater disposable to bring up in the air with us. and one digital camera to pass to someone on the boat to take a picture of us in the air.

but would that be ok or will the digital be too much of a risk to bring and pass along? worried that it'll get wet on the boat due to rough waves or rough ride?!?

is the flight 5-7 minutes like it stated?

cepmom
03-20-2006, 06:21 PM
was thinking of bringing two cameras for this excursion. cuz of our dunking, one underwater disposable to bring up in the air with us. and one digital camera to pass to someone on the boat to take a picture of us in the air.

but would that be ok or will the digital be too much of a risk to bring and pass along? worried that it'll get wet on the boat due to rough waves or rough ride?!?

is the flight 5-7 minutes like it stated?

this is what we did....I bought some disposable underwater cameras and we each brought one up with us. My digital camera stayed on the boat and either Dh or I took pictures of the others in the air. It did not get wet ~ we did not have a rough boat ride. I suppose it could if the water was rough though.

I do think the ride was about 5 - 7 minutes or so.

Verandah Man
03-20-2006, 06:32 PM
I didn't want to take any chances with my digital camera so I left that on the shore with my DW. My DD and I took two waterproof cameras with us on the boat. I took one up with us, and someone on the boat used the other camera to take pics of us.

I scheduled our excursion for 10:30am, which was great, because just as we were getting off the boat, lunch was being served at Cookies Bar-B-Q. After lunch we went back to the family beach until it was time for our 2:30pm Banana Boat Ride.

kellib36
03-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Can you please tell me about how much I should tip the parasailing crew.
Its my first time doing something this insane.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We always tip $5 per person, but I've seen some people not tip at all. I really do appreciate the extra time they take to make sure I'm going to be safe, so that's why I tip consistently.

This last Jan, we had the first trip of the day...915a, I believe. I was VERY worried it would be cold, but it was beautiful!! Last May, it was so windy, all they had to do was turn the boat into the wind and we were up. The boat just sat in one spot. I've heard some trips later in the day get cancelled because of wind or a storm blowing through, but morning trips may get cancelled due to temps, too! Just whatever you think you wanna put up with!!

mamaof2
03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
We always tip $5 per person, but I've seen some people not tip at all. I really do appreciate the extra time they take to make sure I'm going to be safe, so that's why I tip consistently.

This last Jan, we had the first trip of the day...915a, I believe. I was VERY worried it would be cold, but it was beautiful!! Last May, it was so windy, all they had to do was turn the boat into the wind and we were up. The boat just sat in one spot. I've heard some trips later in the day get cancelled because of wind or a storm blowing through, but morning trips may get cancelled due to temps, too! Just whatever you think you wanna put up with!!
Thank you for the answer. This will be my 1st cruise ever-and the parasailing is just a mommys day gift to me. :teeth:
Any excuse to spend money, is what my husband claims-but I am looking forward to it. I will be going on May 18-21. D Wonder. I too plan an early go for parasailing. I just hope they don't cancel. $5 does sound very reasonable. Again, thanks for the answer..