PDA

View Full Version : Luggage question from first time cruiser

dizneygirl3
03-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Have never ever been on a cruise before, and seriously considering cruising in Jan, if you can board the ship at 11:00ish and can't get into your cabin untill 1:30ish what happens to your luggage? Is it stored when you check into the terminal or do you have to lug it around with you? Please dont laugh :rotfl2: , I really have no idea!!
Thanks

repeatcruiser
03-17-2006, 10:48 AM
They store it a deliver it to your room mid afternoon.

djs113
03-17-2006, 10:49 AM
you should just bring a carry-on with you to bridge the gap

i.e. bathing suit, etc...

mmouse37
03-17-2006, 11:12 AM
You do have to carry around whatever bags you bring onboard with you.....but your suitcases are taken from you and delivered to your room in the afternoon/evening. So, if there is something you need have access to, put it in your carryon. It is a good idea not to pack anything of value in your suitcases....like cameras, jewelry, documents, etc....keep those with you.

Cruisee Q
03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Disneygirl,
Just take w/ you whatever you will need for the day (swimsuit, sublock, etc.) and maybe a change of clothes. Everything else will be in your room when you get there.

Also, you said that you are a first time cruiser. I just got back from my first cruise 3 weeks ago (Carnival Valor). It really helped me to go to these formums and get advice on what to pack, etc. I tend to be the person who always overpacks but I will admit that my cruise packing took the cake! For a 7 night cruise, my husband and I took 3 large (as big as the airlines allow) suitcases as well as 2 rollaway overheads and 2 other carry ons. We went with 6 other couples and we all pretty much packed the same amount so I figured I was right on... Long story short, we came home with our 2 biggest suitcases full of CLEAN clothes! I could not figure out how that was possible but we really just spent most of our time in swimsuits and something over it. I had packed enough (with mixing and matching pieces) to have 3 outfits per day. I'll definately go lighter next time!

Have a great trip!

Cruisee Q
Carnival Valor 2/06

AshAlytwins
03-17-2006, 03:44 PM
I suggest carrying a bag with valuables in it and maybe extra clothes like your swimsuit. We got on the ship at 11...ate and by the time we got done and went to check out our rooms our bags were there aroung 1.

we4blairs
03-17-2006, 03:53 PM
may be a silly question but we don't have a direct flight to Florida.
What happens to the luggage at a lay-over?
I just have this HUGE fear that we'll be on the ship w/no clothes.

How likely is it that they would lose ALL the luggage? (I do know the tip of splitting items for each person among the luggage in case one bag comes up missing)

This is probably my biggest fear w/flying!

repeatcruiser
03-17-2006, 04:00 PM
The airline is responsible for the luggage until you get to Orlando - they simply move it from one plane to the next. While this does modestly increase the potential for lost or delayed luggage, I've generally had very good luck with luggage (only a very few instances of delayed luggage, and never while on vacation).

Cruisee Q
03-17-2006, 05:08 PM
may be a silly question but we don't have a direct flight to Florida.
What happens to the luggage at a lay-over?
I just have this HUGE fear that we'll be on the ship w/no clothes.

How likely is it that they would lose ALL the luggage? (I do know the tip of splitting items for each person among the luggage in case one bag comes up missing)

This is probably my biggest fear w/flying!

A good idea for this one is to cross pack. Put a little bit of everything in each bag, that way if one gets lost you'll still have something to wear.

Cruisee Q

HappyLawyer
03-17-2006, 05:26 PM
I found this at walmart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2603675If someone could take a peek, let me know if this is standard it costs 39.95 says not available in stores, am i able to find a better deal?

pamjb
03-17-2006, 06:23 PM
IN the event your luggage does get lost :sad2: make sure you let guest services on the ship know. Long story short, the garment bag containing DH's suit and my dresses got lost. Note, the airlines didn't lose it...we did :confused3 . We accidentally left it on the luggage cart when we boarded the hotel shuttle. Anywhoo....we told guest services Saturday afternoon after we boarded the ship. Apparently Disney has a CM's at the airport on the lookout for lost luggage. Arnaldo in Guest Services left several messages on our phone that they had they bag, the bag was flying into Key West airport. There was some question if the flight to Key West would make it before we left the port. Well, It Did :cool1: . We had our bag by Sunday night at 6 pm. :bounce: :Pinkbounc :cheer2:

alikat99
03-17-2006, 06:43 PM
IN the event your luggage does get lost :sad2: make sure you let guest services on the ship know. Long story short, the garment bag containing DH's suit and my dresses got lost. Note, the airlines didn't lose it...we did :confused3 . We accidentally left it on the luggage cart when we boarded the hotel shuttle. Anywhoo....we told guest services Saturday afternoon after we boarded the ship. Apparently Disney has a CM's at the airport on the lookout for lost luggage. Arnaldo in Guest Services left several messages on our phone that they had they bag, the bag was flying into Key West airport. There was some question if the flight to Key West would make it before we left the port. Well, It Did :cool1: . We had our bag by Sunday night at 6 pm. :bounce: :Pinkbounc :cheer2:
Don't feel bad, we did something VERY similar. We forgot our hanging bag in the closet at the WDW Hilton. We let GS know as soon as we realized (we were at lunch in Parrot Cay) and they told us that if they couldn't get it to the ship before it left that evening, then it would be sent straight to Key West. Our bag arrived before the lifeboat drill.

That was our first cruise with DCL and the act definitely impressed me with their service!!!