PDA

View Full Version : DIS Ladies Only Meet 2006 Weight Loss Challenge - Starts March 28

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AdventurerKat
03-16-2006, 09:40 PM
If someone happens to stumble upon this thread wondering what the heck I am talking about, this is a challenge/support thread for the women participating in the DIS Ladies Only Meet in September. :thumbsup2

Alright Ladies. Let's do this!

Welcome to the DIS Ladies Only Meet Weight Loss Challenge. My name is Kat and I will be your weight-keeper on this journey.

First, I will tell you a little about me and how I ended up needing to be involved in this challenge in the first place. If you feel like sharing your story, please do so. If you don't, that's fine too. I am basing this challenge on what we used to do at my old office and the first thing was telling our story as kind of a "release". Also feel free to skip over it to the "good stuff" if you are feeling like you don't want or need or care to know why I am overweight today. I will do this part in teeny writing so that its quicker to skip over for those of you that are bored.

I was a skinny girl, 5'7" - 120/125, up until about the time I turned 24. It was about this time I stopped my party girl ways and started staying in with my later to be husband. Funny, when I drank alot of beer and partied all the time, I was thin. The minute I stopped consuming multiple alcoholic beverages on a weekly basis, I gained weight. (I would say alot of it had to do that I was a dancing fool when I was doing all that drinking, but I digress.) Its funny (not funny ha ha, but funny peculiar) when I think back to a prophetic night, a night my now DH and I decided to go out after a several month absence from the party scene. A friend, a male friend, came over to me and said "you know, you look like you have gained a bit of weight. you might want to get that under control, and fast, before it gets out of hand." Now, naturally I wanted to punch his lights out. I had (only) gained about 15 pounds at that point but obviously it was starting to show. In hindsight, he was showing concern, and obviously was psychic.

So slowly but surely, and with too many trips to the best Mexican restaurant in Seattle, I was gaining weight. I gained about 45 pounds in about two years just from lack of doing anything but watching TV with the boyfriend while eating junk. We were homebodies and basically lazy. I admit it. When I first realized how I was looking I was pretty much OMG. It was at that point I started using that new weight loss miracle drug combination phen-phen. I was on it for about two months and lost twenty-five pounds. Oh was I a happy girl!! But it was also about that time that they realized the massive damage it was doing to people, and killing people. No more phen-phen. Which was a good thing not just because it was endangering my life, but because I was pretty much a raving word that rhymes with witch while I was using it. So after I could no longer take it, the weight started coming back on because lo and behold, I got hungry now. Imagine that. But then I got engaged, so I got my behind to a gym and started working out. I started losing weight again. I was a happy girl and got married at what was a fairly reasonable weight for me, but certainly nowhere near my 120.

Then enter my first pregnancy. Boy did I gain back the weight and then some. I ate, and ate, and ate some more. I think alot of people might have expected I was carrying twins. I was not. Enter my first son, born in 99. After I had him, well, life was all about him. I was fat but I didn't care. For a while. Somewhere around 2001 I came out of that fog and started to think "Hey, get off your butt and do something" and I did. I joined a gym and started working out. Fairly quickly, I lost about 20 pounds and I was feeling good. Then enter my second pregancy. Yes, I know how you get pregnant but let me assure you he was a surprise. And guess what...here comes the weight gain, part deux.

In 2003 my second child was born. I have lost some of the weight here and there, I even lost 20 pounds when we first moved to Florida last year, but I gained most of it back. Why? Well, there's an always stocked candy dish at my work I have a hard time saying no to. I have been drinking regular soda instead of diet (or just plain water). I don't drink enough water (see previous response). I don't work out. And I still eat junk. I take full responsibility for why I weigh what I weigh. But I am going to walk past the candy, put away the soda (regular...I still need my diet pepsi cherry!), get off my butt, and do something about it.

My goal in all this is to get back to me. I will never be back to a 125 pound me, and frankly, I don't want to, I know I would be there for about a day. But a reasonable weight for me where I can wear the clothes I want and feel ok about my size. My son's friend made a comment to him the other day that his "mommy is fat" and that hurt his feelings. I tried to explain to him that people are all different and its o.k. to be fat. And I do feel it is o.k. to be fat. Its just not what I want to be anymore.

Alright, enough about me.

So here is what I am thinking. I am going to keep a chart of everyone's weight. Yes, you will need to divulge your starting weight to me if you wish to participate in the challenge. (If you just want support in your weight loss journey from the other Ladies Only ladies, that's o.k. too - and for the one of you that offered to share your story and help motivate, please DO IT!) Anyway, I am happy to PM you mine if you are curious. I will not divulge your weight to any of the other ladies. I know alot of us are secretive about that sort of thing. Normally I am too but frankly, if you are going to tell me yours, I think its only fair if you're wondering. And I just got a new scale so rest assured that it's accurate. :) And just a note, when you see it, you may think I can't possibly be that weight from looking at my pic. Someone said I didn't even look like I needed to lose weight. (thank you by the way!) Trust me, I do. Its mostly in the bottom half of me you didn't see in the picture. I also tend to look like I weigh a bit less than I actually do. At least that's something, lol.

Each week on Thursday (Starting March 28) you will PM me your weight and I will track it. If you'd like to know how I am doing feel free to ask that too. There will be no judgment from me. I am simply tracking. If you have a bad week and go on a cookie bender, I won't give you h-e-double hockey sticks for it. But if you are having a bad week and you want some encouragement, please come and talk to all us other ladies and I know we will be here for one another.

Now for the challenge part. I know some of us have a bit more to love than the others. So what I am proposing is that the challenge winner be the person who loses the largest PERCENTAGE of body weight, as opposed to actual pounds. Some of you may only want or need to lose 10 or 15 pounds (that's not me), and some of you may be hoping to lose 30 or more (its only 6 months so lets be reasonable and safe). I just think this is the fairest way. If you can think of a way that seems even more fair, let me hear it.

At the end of the six months, on our trip of course, the top three ladies who lost the highest percentage of body weight are going to win a prize. I don't know what that prize will be at this point, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't tell you. :) I don't want you just doing it for that, do it for you because frankly, if you don't, its not going to work (been there, done that, bought the t-shirt). Just so you know, we're not talking all expense paid trip to the Grand Floridian prize here, so don't get too excited. But I promise it will be something you will want and look at it as a bonus for sticking with it.

Me? Well, I am not competing of course. I am just keeping you all honest. My former boss did this for our office and we had a great time doing it and we all lost weight, even if it was just a little. Healthy competition is good. A healthier body is even better.

I know some of you have asked specifically if you are supposed to do a particular diet plan, etc. I am not advocating any particular method. Different things work for different people. I have had success with WW in the past and am thinking of signing up again, but I may just work something out myself. Anyway, I think this thread will allow all of us to share ideas and what works for each of us so that others can learn from it.

And here is something for fun, if you haven't done it. Go to www.mvm.com and build an avatar of yourself at your current weight and one at what you would like to be at the time of the trip and even your ultimate goal if its one that is not attainable by the time of the trip. Especially for those who have more than a few pounds to lose, you can get some inspiration. :) And you can try on clothes with them. Its like virtual paper dolls! :)

We've made the decision to go on this trip with a bunch of our DIS girlfriends. Those of us who are here want to enjoy that trip a bit thinner. So let's support each other and let's lose some weight. :woohoo:

(And forgive me if I didn't pay enough attention to my Tony Robbins tapes)

O.K. I am adding something to the "novel" here. Five weight loss related hints (Besides putting down the cookie) Please PM me your tips and I will add them to the list.

1. Drink at least 8 - 8 oz glasses of water a day. Or even more. (And I am sure some of you saw that ER episode where the guy o.d.-ed on the water - don't drink that much!)

2. Park further away from the store, school, mall, etc. so you have to walk a bit more. It may seem silly but all those extra steps eventually add up.

3. For a consistent scale reading, always make sure your scale is in the same spot and wear the same clothes (or lack thereof) when weighing yourself.

4. Pick a time of day and weigh yourself each week at that same time.

5. DO NOT weigh yourself every day...or worse yet several times a day. Your weight can bounce all over within a week, even when losing. You don't want to get discouraged because today you were 2 pounds under and tomorrow 1 pound over. (when we were doing this at my office, I had to take the scale out of the bathroom because the ladies kept doing this. I do not have access to your scale. just do yourself a favor and stay off of it)

sahbushka
03-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I am ready! Bring it on!
Sarah

Marseeya
03-17-2006, 05:26 PM
:banana: :wave2:

agotta
03-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Just subscribing!! We haven't started yet right? I am hoping my tiramisu doesn't count tonight :sad2:

Alicnwondrln
03-17-2006, 07:38 PM
woo hoo !!
bring it on !!

Trish5768
03-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm really excited to get started. Thanks for doing this. :thumbsup2

Mom2Ashli
03-17-2006, 09:14 PM
:yay: :wave2:

SnowWhite33
03-17-2006, 09:37 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for doing this-my story is almost identical to yours, minus 1 kid. I'm very excited about this because just this week I decided to do something about my weight-I've NEVER been on a diet and NEVER excercised. I joined Curves on Wed and started drinking water only-I've lost 2 pounds in 3 days-I believe because I've completely stopped the cokes.

Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to this and best of luck to everyone!!

Trish5768
03-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I was always the tiny one. I got married in the fall of 91 and I weighed around 112. I had 3 children and was very proud of the fact that I could leave the hospital with my regular jeans on. After I turned 30, I found that I was putting on a few pounds, I figured it was from being a SAHM and not doing as much as I had when I was younger. Then I started to lose some weight without trying and was tired all the time. After repeated visits to my gyne and repeatedly being told that I was fine I switched my doctor. I just knew in my gut something was wrong. Its a good thing that I did.

I was diagnosed with invasive cervical cancer back in May of 2002. Yes, I had yearly PAP smears every year since I turned 18, so please, no that could have been prevented. Anyway, the tumor was too big to be operated on so we decided that I would do a very aggressive treatment. I would have 8 rounds of chemo and 35 radiation treatments, internal and external beam concurrently. It was a nasty 8 weeks but well worth it. I'm still here, right. So, the chemo and radiation were really making me sick I lost about 30 pounds but it got so bad that I was put onto steroids to keep me from vomiting. That put some weight on me but the biggest thing was after I started feeling better, I ate for comfort. It sounds crazy but I would just eat and eat. This went on for almost 3 years. I'd gained so much weight that I was not recognizable to people. I stopped wanting to go places where there would be anyone who had not seen me for awhile. I hated the look on their faces; you know the one...wow, she has gotten huge! :eek: My DS8 also (just like Kat) came home from school and said that one of the boys who had been at his birthday party told some kids in his class that Nicholas' Mom was fat and they all laughed. That broke my heart, he was so upset. So, last Feb. I had had enough and joined a gym. I loved going and working out and lost 16 pounds and had gained a lot of muscle. I have not been back since August. I've kept the weight off but have so much more to go. I would ultimately like to lose at least 50 pounds but will shoot for 30 in 6 months.

I'm happy to report that its almost been 4 years and I'm still cancer free. I will have another check up in July. I go every 4 months and am hoping that I will graduate to every 6 months next visit. I know I won't technically be cancer free for another year but I feel like I have beaten this. Its been a long road and its time for me to get healthy and with all of your help, I'm sure I will. :wizard:

That's my story. :wave:

AdventurerKat
03-17-2006, 10:35 PM

I'm happy to report that its almost been 4 years and I'm still cancer free. I will have another check up in July. I go every 4 months and am hoping that I will graduate to every 6 months next visit. I know I won't technically be cancer free for another year but I feel like I have beaten this. Its been a long road and its time for me to get healthy and with all of your help, I'm sure I will. :wizard:

That's my story. :wave:

Wow Trish. :grouphug:

mommaU4
03-17-2006, 11:10 PM
First I want to thank Kat for doing this. And for sharing her story. And to all the others who have or will share their story, thank you as well. It helps to know your not alone and have some support.

Well, here goes nothing.....

I was thin all through high-school. I am 5'9" and weighed about 120-125. I was tall, blonde, green eyes, used to tan all the time, wore short skirts, etc. People used to tell me I should model. I guess they thought they were paying me a compliment but all that did was make me self-conscious.

I hated the attention I got from guys. It made me nervous. I was so shy in HS and I didn't know how to react. Most of the time I didn't say anything so I had a rep as a snob, which I wasn't.

I met my husband in the 8th grade. I was 13. So was he. We were friends off and on till our junior year then we started dating and the rest is history. I have never been with anyone else and couldn't be happier about that.

When we would go out guys would try to hit on me even with him there. Once I was working at Nutri System (ironic now huh?!) and my desk was by the front door and the entrance was all glass. The phone rings and our secretary answers it and turns to me and says "I think it's for you. He asked for the pretty blonde at the desk."
I thought it was my DH (boyfriend at the time of course) playing a joke. So I answer it and it's just some strange guy who had passed by and had seen me and said he finally got up the nerve to call and talk to me. WHAT?? OMG!! I was shaking and not in a good way. I told him I was dating someone and that was the end of that, but it scared the crap out of me.

You are probably thinking why is she bragging like this? What a *itch!! I'm not bragging. That's just the way it was and some girls would be in seventh heaven to have that kind of attention. Not me. I always felt pressure. I always felt like everywhere I went people noticed me and were watching me.

So that made me super self-conscious of the way I walked, talked, ate, etc. I felt even more pressure to look good and stay thin. I was so unhealthy. Skipping meals all the time. Nothing but skin and bones. Not anorexic, but super thin.

So about 5 and a half years after we started dating my sweetie and I got married. I had gained some weight at that point but nothing major. Then with my first pregnancy it was like a free for all!! I was eating for two and I could let myself go for the first time in.... forever! I gained about 50 lbs with that pregnancy. And never lost much of it.

But I didn't care. I was busy being a wife and mom. Then with the second pregnancy it was the same deal. Another 60 lbs. I was huge!! But funny thing was people didn't notice me anymore. The pressure was off. I was invisable for the first time and was so happy about that. So even after the 2nd baby I made no attempt to lose weight.

Then finally with my twins I got to my heaviest ever. I said after they were born I would have to do something about my weight. Well guess what? They are 5 and a half and I am now almost back to what I weighed when I was about to deliver them.

I know I need to lose weight. I have a confidence now that I never had in high school so it's not about looks. It's about health. I have 4 kids who I may not be around for if I don't do something.

I haven't worn shorts in public in about 8 years. I don't play, run, swim, etc, with my family. I'm tired of that.

My husband is amazing. Not too many men would stick around with a woman who used to be a hottie and then proceeded to gain 160 lbs. I mean once when we were out at the Santa Monica pier I had a lady approach me and give me her card. It was for a modeling agency. He went from being with that person to this mess I am now. And not only has he stuck around, he says I'm still a hottie and keeps pinching my rear. :teeth: Poor dear. Better make him an eye appointment.

Seriously he loves me and supports me just the way I am. Sometimes I wish he would say get off your fat butt and lose some weight, but he never would.

I am a stress eater. And lately food had become my drug of choice. I use it to make me happy when I'm sad, to cheer me up when I'm down, to celebrate good news, you name it. It's my crutch. But I am tired of being this way and am ready to try to lose some of this weight.

To do that I need to be totally honest with everyone reading this soooo here goes.... I currently weigh 285 lbs. LOL There I said it! Pick your skinny butts up off the floor cause I know you just fainted when you read that number. And yes I said skinny because I know that's how you all feel now compared to me. :lmao: Glad I could be of service.

My final goal is to get down to 150 lbs. For my height and build I think that will be fine and easy to maintain. Of course that's a weight loss of 135 lbs!!! :guilty: Which sounds just about impossible right now. (where's my damn cookies when I need them?? :rolleyes: ) But I am going to try and hope that with all your support and encouragement it will happen. Slowly but surely.

Well, now that I've rambled on for an hour I am done. I don't care if anyone even reads this. It just felt good to get it out there.
Later people!! :wave:

mommaU4
03-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Wow Trish. :grouphug:
I know. Trish you are amazing. :grouphug:

AdventurerKat
03-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Beth, thank you for sharing your story and your honesty. I really do think it feels good and helps to just say it (or write it as the case is here.)

Our husbands sound pretty similar (funny...my DH was eating that mexican food too but I think he only gained about ten pounds and frankly, that's not fair). Mine has been supportive through the ups and downs and has hardly ever made a peep about my weight. Maybe he's thinking I would punch him like I was going to do to our friend at the bar.

JennaTX
03-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Okay, I am going to bore you with my story, but I like the idea of "release" that AdventureKat talked about. You don't have to read it, but I always feel better once I write something down and share it.

I have two older sisters, they are both overweight, as is my mother. I was a snot nosed teenager, who frequently told my sisters that I would never be fat like them (I know I have apoligized numerous times through the years). I got married young at 18, I was turning 19 in 20 days. DH was in the Navy and stationed at Whidbey Island, between Seattle and Vancouver. So we moved there, and I probably gained 30 pounds the first year of marriage. I think it was a little of everything: newly married, moved to a place where I did not know anyone, I was still young enough to be excited about eating junk food whenever I wanted, etc. After we had been there for a year, we came home to TX to visit, that is when I realized how much weight I had gained. I was about 120 when we married so I had gotten up to about 150. I gained about another 15 pounds in the next year.

Then DH was discharged and we moved back home. This is when the embarassment of my weight started. I was about 165 lbs. and I was only 21. None of our friends were married, everyone was still going to dance clubs and having a good time. No one was overweight except for me. One of my friends told me a couple of years later that when she first met me, she thought I was pregnant! So I was still young and managed to loose about 20 pounds. I stayed that way pretty much until about 7 years ago when I got pregnant. I also did the phen-pen for about 6 months, but I did it with Jazzercise also, and I got down to about 140, the lowest I had ever been since I gained the weight.

Since I had my daughter, I have lost and gained the same 20 lbs. every couple of years. I joined WW this January, and was doing really good. Then we moved, and it seems like the last 6 weeks have just been crazy, I have probably gained back everything that I lost.

I am sure like many of you, I would love to take my kids to the pool without being embarassed, not get winded to go bike riding, etc.

I know what I need to do and it is not that difficult. I need to exercise. That's it. When I exercise on a regular basis (at least 4 times a week), the weight comes off so easy. Because if I am exercising, I naturally watch what I eat. We have a membership at our local YMCA, it is a new really great facility, the kids love to go there, and it is only 10 minutes from the house. So I have NO excuse!

So I guess what I need, is to be held accountable. Maybe someone would not mind asking me on a daily basis (except the weekends) if I exercised? And if I say no, I need you to be mean! I need an exercise police officer!

So there is my story. I need to loose 50 pounds, would be happy with 40, and thrilled with 60. I know that it won't happen before this trip, but if I can stay true to myself about exercise in the 6 months until this trip, then I know that I can reach my goal!

Thanks for listening!

Trish5768
03-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Great stories, Beth and Jenna. I think we are going to have a lot of support here. and this will be the time it works. :wizard:

JennaTX
03-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Great stories, Beth and Jenna. I think we are going to have a lot of support here. and this will be the time it works. :wizard:

I hope you are right, that this will be the time that it works!

Also Trish, I just wanted to say Bravo! to you for changing your doctor and listening to that little voice inside your head, and for all that you have been through and survived!

2BigKIdz
03-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Also Trish, I just wanted to say Bravo! to you for changing your doctor and listening to that little voice inside your head, and for all that you have been through and survived!

What she said!!!

My story-

For most of my life I have been a little "chubby" but not fat like I am now. I was always allowed to eat what I wanted and drink as many sodas, I realize now that was a bad thing. I was a big tomboy, I was always playing sports with the boys- basketball, football, riding bikes so I wasn't fat, just wasn't skinny. In high school I weighed about 135-150 but I was still athletic, I walked alot, played softball for the HS team and jogged some. I loved being outdoors and doing outdoor things. I could still shop in the "junior" department.

After graduating I started working full-time and I worked odd hours and ate a lot of fast food. March of the next year I am sitting on my bed getting ready for work and I saw my naked self in the mirror. I started a diet right then! I weighed 170lbs when I started and I thought I was huge!!!

I lost 40 lbs really quickly. 130lbs on my frame is thin. Some even told me I was too thin! I was really proud of myself. For the first time in my life I felt thin. I even got below 130 for awhile. I looked pretty good. A boy I'd had a crush on forever was going to ask me out but my friend started harrassing him because she liked him so he stopped coming to the places we hung out (his best friend told me he wanted to ask me out and it made me feel good, he really was the cutest boy in school :goodvibes ) Wow, I sound like I'm back in HS :teeth:

About a year and a half later I started working 2 jobs where I was strapped to the desk, working about 60-70 hours a week. Ordering food alot and eating fast food, drinking lots of cokes. Not getting ANY exercise. I saw the weight adding up, first I would get close to 140 and think I need to get this under control now. Then it would be 150, 160 and so on.

This was 12 years ago and I still haven't done anything to get it off and keep it off. I have a hard time sticking with diets and exercise. I will join the gym and diet and lose 35lbs then for some reason stop going and the weight comes back. I joined WW in 2004 and lost 20lbs then stopped going and gained the weight back. It's a cycle I want to break.

When Lane Bryant first opened at our mall my husband and I were shopping. He asked if I wanted to go in that store. I was so mad, I said "that store is for fat people, I can't wear their clothes!!" Guess where I get most of my clothes now?

I am at my largest now that I have ever been. I feel terrible and look terrible and really want to improve my health and my looks. I too have a wonderful husband who tells me I am beautful all the time. I don't believe him but it's nice to know he feels that way.

I am starting to exercise and diet on Monday. I have relatives visiting this weekend from out of state and we are going to get Cheesecake Factory and Cold Stone Creamery while they are here because they have never been to either one.

Okay Ladies- we can do this! I think this will really help us all.

Thanks Kat for organizing this. But I think you should be able to compete too!

AdventurerKat
03-18-2006, 07:46 AM
What she said!!!

Thanks Kat for organizing this. But I think you should be able to compete too!

Thank you for sharing your story. Its seems like alot of us are lucky to have husbands that love us no matter what size we are and hopefully they will provide just as much encouragement while we work on ourselves.

I am competing in the sense that I am trying to lose weight too but I don't plan on giving myself a prize. If I lose the largest amount of weight, believe me, I will be happy with just that and I am going to say that I bet most, if not all, the ladies would feel the same way. The prizes were just for fun and a little extra incentive. I came in second at my old office and it was fun to win a little something. :)

Marseeya
03-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Boy, I want to thank ALL of you for posting your stories. So much of the time, and even with this trip, I feel like the token "fat girl" because I'm usually the biggest one there. Well, I still am this time, but hearing your stories makes me feel so not alone.

Anyway, I was adopted (this becomes important later). My amom had a really bad weight problem -- she weighed close to 300 pounds my entire life, mostly in her stomach. She always had junk food and sweets in the house, and when she cooked, she fried everything in Crisco. I was sort of a chubby kid -- not chubby the way kids are today, but just a little pudgy. I outgrew it with puberty and all through school I was heavy, but fit. I was always 5'4" tall and between 140-150 pounds and looked good -- big chest, nice muscular legs, decent sized hips. Right before I went to college in the fall of 1985, I was at my lowest weight at 125 and looked really bad because I'm so big-boned... I was on speed and that's why my weight dropped so much.

I developed a drinking problem in college and did some other things as well. Major party girl. Instead of gaining the Freshman 10, I gained the Freshman 30, but I was very happy with my weight. I partied my way right out of school and continued that lifestyle until I got pregnant in 1990 at the age of 23. The pregnancy sobered me up, literally and figuratively! Because I was adopted, I wasn't about to give up a child for adoption myself, and I'm against abortion (although pro-choice), so I decided to become a single mom. The father wasn't in the picture and I didn't want him to be there, so that was that.

During my pregnancy, instead of booze and other things, I turned to food. I probably ate a whole apple pie twice a week, and just ate everything in sight. My ob/gyn, and older man very close to retirement, used to get me on the scales and admonish me, "You're getting too damn fat! Quit eating so damn much!" Hey, he was charming in his own gruff way. :teeth:

After DS was born in 1991, I continued eating like that for a little while (until I weighed 220) but the slow realization that I was now obese really hit hard. I went on a diet, supervised by a diet doctor and started losing weight FAST (this was a very low calorie exchange diet supported by high doses of energy shots). Even though the diet was going successfully, I ended up in a really weird relationship where my BF tried to keep me fat. He totally sabotaged all my diet efforts and kept telling me that he liked me the way I was, and why do I need to lose weight, blah blah blah. I fell for it. :rolleyes: That relationship didn't last long, but it was long enough to ruin my attempts and add another 10 pounds to what I was before.

In the years after that, I pretty much consciously chose to stay fat. It was actually nice that I was working and spending time with my DS. It also kept the guys away, which was very important! I sure didn't need that drama in my life, if you know what I mean. The fat seemed to lower people's expectations of me, and for the first time in my life I could just be who I wanted instead of the free-for-all party girl who slept with anyone and everyone. Don't get me wrong, alcohol was still a factor in my life, but not to the extent it had been.

In 1994, I met my DH online and my weight was holding steady at 230. He loved me the way I was, and he was heavy too. We got married four months after we met. I gained another 20 pounds in the next year before becoming pregnant with DD. Oddly enough, I didn't gain a pound while I was pregnant with her. Because I was so overweight, the doctors weren't overly concerned, but they did keep an eye on it.

After DD was born in 1996, I decided to try to get the weight off, but for some reason I couldn't! More and more, I was getting profoundly tired and my appetite was out of control. When she was 3 months old in 1996, I went back to college to finish my bachelors. My DS started having problems and so much of my energy went into him, and school. I just didn't have time to take care of myself. By 1999, I was up to 260 and DH and I ended up separating. I lost 60 pounds in just a few months by starving myself (I was devastated and couldn't eat). We ended up getting back together and the weight came right back on, but I continued with the horrible fatigue and some other symptoms.

I graduated in December of 2000 with a bachelors in English, but at that point I could barely function. In January, I was literally sleeping up to 20 hours a day, just waking up enough to take care of the kids in the morning and being there when they got home from school. I was actually too tired to go to the doctor! I finally went to a pap smear and talked to my nurse practitioner about what was going on, she did a blood test and found out I was pretty badly hypothyroid. After going over my history, she figured out that I'd been suffering from it undiagnosed for a long time.

By 2004, I'd finally gotten my thyroid under control, went to grad school, and started losing weight last January, but not after gaining a good bit more weight that I'm not comfortable admitting here. Then unfortunately, my thyroid failed again and losing weight became a lot more difficult again. In the midst of all this, problems with my DS have become unbearable and again, I've just neglected myself.

Oh, and I almost forgot to slip this in! One thing I'd always thought was that my weight problems must have been hereditary, but in 1994 my biological siblings found me. Turned out I had 8 brothers and sisters, all skinny beyond belief, and my bio mom was skinny too, as is my grandmother. There went that theory! :rotfl:

So anyway, I recently joined a gym to get into shape for our upcoming June WDW trip -- last year's trip kicked my butt , but I still can't manage to get into the diet. I belong to WW online, but I'm not really following the plan. I'm using a very high fiber drink, and so far I've lost 2 pounds since starting it!

I'm looking forward to getting motivated with you all. Thanks again for doing this, Kat!

MUFFYCAT
03-18-2006, 09:52 AM
First, Trish, I so happy to hear about your recovery-amazing! :thumbsup2
All of you ladies have wonderful stories, Id like to congradulate you all for joining the challenge. :cheer2:

As you all know one has to ready to step up and lose weight.
Unfortunely for me, it hasn't hit me to do it.

So when I meet you all you'll see a person who is about 40 pounds oerweight.

Who knows? Maybe when I hear about the success you all will have,
that might push me!

mommaU4
03-18-2006, 10:29 AM
First, Trish, I so happy to hear about your recovery-amazing! :thumbsup2
All of you ladies have wonderful stories, Id like to congradulate you all for joining the challenge. :cheer2:

As you all know one has to ready to step up and lose weight.
Unfortunely for me, it hasn't hit me to do it.

So when I meet you all you'll see a person who is about 40 pounds oerweight.

Who knows? Maybe when I hear about the success you all will have,
that might push me!
I sometimes wonder if I am ready too. I say it all the time. "I gotta lose weight." At night I'll be so disgusted with myself for over eating that day and so determined that tomorrow will be the day it all changes. Well, nothing ever does. I've even thought about that surgery, but I am a big chicken. I couldn't go through with it.

For me, food is my drug of choice. It is addicting. I would almost rather be an alcoholic. That may raise a few eyebrows but I don't care. You don't have to drink. You don't have to walk into a bar. I have to eat to live. I have to grocery shop and prepare food for a family of 6. It's like being an alcoholic and working in a bar. It's nuts. No one who was trying to quit drinking would do that to themselves. It's like torture. But as a food addict I still have to surround myself with it.

And some might say well, just don't buy junk. It doesn't matter. I can and will binge on anything. Over-eating is over-eating no matter what it's on. It's all a compulsive behaviour. I went to OA meetings when I lived in CA and they helped for awhile. But the urge to binge was stronger than their support and I was embarrassed to go knowing I was still bingeing. So I stopped going. I wish there was one around here but there's not and I don't have a car anyways so to get there would be almost impossible.

That's why I am so happy with this. I think we can all support each other. So far it seems everyone has been brutally honest with their problems and challenges and that's the first step.

So I guess I'm just trying to say that if you want to do this we will all be there for you. Heck, if someone needs more support than here online I will give you my home number and you can call me whenever. I have no problem doing that. We ca do this one step at a time.

mommaU4
03-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I am competing in the sense that I am trying to lose weight too but I don't plan on giving myself a prize. If I lose the largest amount of weight, believe me, I will be happy with just that and I am going to say that I bet most, if not all, the ladies would feel the same way. The prizes were just for fun and a little extra incentive. I came in second at my old office and it was fun to win a little something. :)
Well, you are so nice for starting this whole thing and overseeing it. I think I will have to pick up something pretty for you as a thank-you. (not a box of chocolates though :teeth: I promise)

MUFFYCAT
03-18-2006, 10:41 AM
For me, food is my drug of choice. It is addicting. I would almost rather be an alcoholic. That may raise a few eyebrows but I don't care. You don't have to drink. You don't have to walk into a bar. I have to eat to live. I have to grocery shop and prepare food for a family of 6. It's like being an alcoholic and working in a bar. It's nuts. No one who was trying to quit drinking would do that to themselves. It's like torture. But as a food addict I still have to surround myself with it.

And some might say well, just don't buy junk. It doesn't matter. I can and will binge on anything. Over-eating is over-eating no matter what it's on. It's all a compulsive behaviour. I went to OA meetings when I lived in CA and they helped for awhile. But the urge to binge was stronger than their support and I was embarrassed to go knowing I was still bingeing. So I stopped going. I wish there was one around here but there's not and I don't have a car anyways so to get there would be almost impossible.

So I guess I'm just trying to say that if you want to do this we will all be there for you. Heck, if someone needs more support than here online I will give you my home number and you can call me whenever. I have no problem doing that. We ca do this one step at a time.

I know what you mean saying food is like a drug. I also went to few OA meetings when I was about 20.

My DH says I always look the happiest when I'm eating. :sad2:

AdventurerKat
03-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes. Food is the drug of choice around here too. :guilty:

Here is another silly motivation for me. I LOVE Halloween. And every year I tell myself I am going to finally be able to wear a cute costume like I want to, rather than what I can find or have made to fit me and still look decent. Last year, I didn't even bother being at or dressing up for Halloween at the Adventurers Club because I was just so fed up with myself. That made me really sad.

So I am hoping that this year, I will at least lose enough to go as something I really WANT to go as. And maybe if I lose alot of weight, (and get a great push up bra!), I can go as the "red head" from Pirates of the Caribbean -instead of the one they are trying to auction off :sad2: .

k_hase
03-18-2006, 11:56 AM
My story is different and not as extreme I guess.

I gained weight in college, I too was very thin and tall and blonde, I'd been a fairly competive swimmer in HS so was quite muscular and worked out several hours a day. 40 pounds came on pretty fast when I went to college. I drank way too much, I ate at all hours, I didn't have the food obsession that I have now, I didn't even think about food, I just ate it. The first 20 came off pretty quickly, I really just needed to move around more. I didn't change my eating habits but I started running. Running worked for me because its free. All I needed were the right shoes and I already knew how to do it. I didn't swim because I'd have to pay for the pool access.

Fast forward. That extra 20-30 stayed around. I didn't work out, I'm sure i was as soft and squishy as a girl could be, but in your 20s you can pull that off easier I think. I went thru fits and starts but never really committed to working out or dieting. In 95 I started working at a health club part time (why? I never worked out!) and met a lifeguard there that was a marathon runner. The way he talked about it intrigued me so much. I still didn't work out. I ate egg salad almost everyday for lunch and gained a bit again. I was also a lifeguard at the club sometimes, and one day caught a glimpse of myself in my guard suit. How did I never see it before? I hated it.

So I started working out. I'd never used any kind of weights or machines but the trainer should me how and I began it run again. Mostly on the treadmill, for 30 minutes at a time. I lost about 10 pounds. But what really changed was the shape of my body. I remember my mother coming to visit me, she hadn't seen me in 6 months or so, and her first comment was how different my shape was. I had muscles. Not weird big man muscles, but muscles enough that my body was looking different, and pretty good too.

I began to entertain the idea of running a marathon. Keep in mind I hadn't run any race at all ever. And the furthest I'd gone was 5 miles one day when I just wanted to see if I could. I ran regularly, but not very much each day. I didn't know how to train, I just had this bug in my butt about it. Then I met DH. I moved back to NY to be with him. I joined a gym there and kept running. I was still holding steady at 20 pounds over my goal, but I wasn't unhappy. We ate ice cream and cheeseburgers and chicken wings. I ran more. And more.

Eventually I did train for a marathon. I used a plan I found online. I ran lots of miles, I ate my face off. I didn't lose any weight. It was like eating was a reward for the run. I ran in what they call the Athena/Clydesdale class. Most races don't specify this, but some do and its what they call the larger runners. Embarrassing! I finished my first marathon, poorly, but done. I immediately decided to run another.

While all this was going on my DH (who wasn't my DH yet) was having trouble deciding if he really wanted to be with me. Basically he was being a big ***. I started to run more and eat more and gain weight. The amount of food I consumed is horrifying to think of. I hated myself for it. I hated the food and ate it anyway. I was out of control and I slid down a very slipperly slope towards bulimia. I denied this. That's a teenage thing isnt' it? And I'm in good shape despite the extra fat I carry, I mean I can run 26 miles, slowly but I can do it. So this isnt' a problem. Well, yeah, its a problem. What I've learned since then is that when I can't control things (my DH, moving, my job) I slip into that control freak mode and eat and purge.

Eventually DH comes around, we get married, I'm still walking around with 20 pounds I don't want, still running, getting over the eating thing. I had lots of runner friends now too, they were all thinner and faster than me but completely accepted me too. I wanted to be them. Fast. I read an article that actually gave a formula for how many minutes your race times gain and/or lose based on the extra weigth you carry.

That did it. I suppose we all need the spark. Once I had concrete proof that losing X amount would make my Y faster then I jumped in with both feet. I read a lot about nutrition. I trained harder. I used food as fuel not as comfort. At least not as often. I ate a lot, the training required it, but I was losing about two pounds a month. I know that's not very inspiring, but I couldn't run my milage and cut calories drastically.

Then I suffered a stress fracture. No running for 10 weeks and minimal running for several weeks after that. Oh no. Welcome back purge, welcome back anxiety, come on in lbs. I decided to swim. The dr recommended it because it was really the one thing I could do with my broken foot. I swam. My body changed again. I had those shoulders back, my arms looked better. I even lost a little weight. Wow. I started to use the website fitday.com to track my eating. I learned alot about what makes me feel good and have energy.

Fast forward to today. I work very hard at treating food as my fuel, although I allow myself to get pleasure and comfort too. Sometimes too much, but I know that one day is just one day. I still struggle with binging, especially late at night, alone, with my worries. I've held steady at my new weight for over year. I am now a Boston qualified runner, ranked locally in most races, and won my age group for the winter race series (6 races of varing length throughout the winter, its brutal!). I do trail running, I work at a running store to keep me in line. I have to say that I still battle some mental monsters about this, and I weigh myself way too much, but I know that I'm in a better place.

What worked for me? Well, working out is no longer just something I fit in. Its in my schedule, other plans must work around it. That was the most helpful thing I think. Once I started to see the workout as much a part of my day as lunch and going to the bank and washing my hair it became easier to do. I literally write it in my day planner, usually planning for the whole week. If there are meetings late then I go in the morning, if I can only do it at lunch, then I do. But its a scheduled appointment, not extra.

Really learning about food helped too. fitday.com was eye opening. I measure my portions now, I try to eat more things that are large for their calorie content and limit things that are too small for the calorie impact. For example, those damn Lean Cuisines. They are so tiny!! It hardly worth it. For the same 250 calories I can have a mixing bowl of arugula and mixed greens with a sprinkle of almonds, dried cranberries, 4oz of chicken and some feta cheese (1/8 of cup!) with a non fat dressing. It takes longer to eat and is more visually filling. I also subscribed to Cooking Light and its changed how I cook. I was amazed to learn that I can have really really tasty food that was light.

I've learned that muscles are great things to have. People comment on them, and they burn lots of energy just to stay alive. I've learned that size is just a number created by the fashion industry and that what ever size you are isn't the thing, its if you feel good. People hate when I say that because my size is small, but its true. The way I feel now, in shape and eating better is so much more satisfying than any size number I can wear.

I have my demons, they rear their ugly heads in times of stress. Cookies sometimes feel like the answer, but now I feel like I can treat today as today and be better tomorrow.

macraven
03-18-2006, 12:00 PM
:moped:

jedi_librarian
03-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi, everyone

I'm so glad to read everyone's stories. :grouphug:

I just wanted to be here for support for everyone. I was in your boat 2 years ago, and about 60 pounds and have kept it off for over a year now. But I want to share my story, too:

I was always a skinny one - I'm only 5' tall, and in high school I weighed 90 pounds. The doctors were so concerned they were giving me products like "Weight-on" and telling me to eat more!! I was on the soccer team and was active, but I've always know the real problem was that I was in a terrible relationship my whole senior year.And I had real self esteem issues. I hated being that skinny. I didn't look healthy at all. I wanted curves and to look good in clothes, but instead I looked like a stick.

So, when I started college, I was dating a nice guy. I was happy, but not exercising. I didn't join any athletic teams and no more Physical Ed. everyday like in High School. I started gaining. Not much. But I was going from a size 0 (very unhealthy), to, like a size 8.

Anyway, fast forward a few years, I met my husband my last year of college, and I was still "skinny" at a size 8 (I didn't really weigh myself so I don't know how much I weighed). By the time we got married, I was about a 10/12. A few years into our marriage, I went back to school for my Masters degree, and I was working a full time job, a part time and going to school at night. I would come home at 11 pm to eat dinner, eat Doritos and drink soda between jobs and school. My weight got out of control and the year I finished my degree I had nearly doubled my weight from high school - I was a size 16 and 177 lbs! And I'm only 5' tall.

I never thought of dieting - I knew it wasn't for me. I'd work out, but they were "wimpy" workouts. I heard coworkers talk about Weight Watchers and was semi interested, but didn't really understand it. Plus, the thought of going to meetings - I was burned out from 2 jobs and school that I just wanted to be able to go home after work. I knew I'd never commit myself to meetings.

Then I started thinking about my health. Diabetes runs in my family on my Dad's side. My Grandma died of a stroke and had many complications due to her diabetes. Also, I knew that when I was ready to start a family, I'd surely gain even more weight. It started bothering me. Sure, how I looked bothered me (I've always had self esteem issues) but my future health bothered me even more. So in Jan 2004, I signed up for a free trial of Weight Watchers online. I knew I'd prefer it over goig to meetings and since many of my coworkers were on it, I had the support system right there.

I absolutely loved WW (and still do). I couldn't believe the results I was getting and I loved loved loved that I could still eat my favorite foods (except I had to give up regular soda - but I LOVE my Diet Pepsi now!) I refused to go down to Skim milk, so I drink 1% (same points!). Anyway, what made me feel the greatest were the compliments. I'm one that always needs positive reinforcement, so it helped me so much. I loved having to buy new clothes (though it was tough on my wallet). I started to feel healthier. The one thing that bothered me was that my own DH seemed to never notice my weight loss. He said that he sees me everyday, so he can't tell. (Yeah, well, my coworkers see me everyday, too!) My Mom noticed when she put her arms around me once and said "Oh my! You feel skinnier!).

It took me about a year and I reached my goal. WW had my goal weight at 100 pounds, and I though "NO way - that's too skinny" so I changed it to 120. Right now, I hover 120. Give or take every week. I still weigh myself weekly, I still pay my montly dues for WW, but I don't even log in anymore. It's my safety net. DH notices my weight loss more and more. He said it didn't matter to him how much I weighed. But when we look at old pics, he notices. He just says "WOW". To this day, I have a really tough time even looking at my old pictures. But that's something else I have to deal with.

And the best part of all this? I feel healthy, and I've inspired at least 3 people I know to lose weight - one being my Mom. She's always struggled with her weight and is now doing WW. The other 2 people are coworkers who were inspired by my weight loss. That just makes me feel really good. :)

If you want to see before and after pics:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=414766&page=2&pp=15

AdventurerKat
03-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't think at the point of the trip that the chocolate would matter anyway. Its not like everyone won't be eating and drink their way through the "world". :)

macraven
03-18-2006, 01:04 PM
:wave2:

agotta
03-18-2006, 01:21 PM
OK, first of all, you are all amazing. I loved reading your stories and am so glad to have such a wonderful support group.

I was kinda hesitant about posting my story. From the looks of me, I probably don't look like I have much to lose. Not that I am the skinniest kid on the block, but not exactly...well you know.

I guess my biggest thing is not how I look, but I think others think about how I look this way. I feel lazy and embarrassed that I haven't taken better care of my body.

I only have about 20 lbs to lose, but my bigger challenge is getting fit. I hate being exhausted after climbing a couple flights of stairs. I have gained all this weight since being married to dh and as I am reaching major crossroads, it's time to do something about it.

I love to eat and I love to cook. DH makes jokes that he brings home chocolate to "take the edge off". I have a whole bag of hershey's kissables in my bedroom right now.

I am glad to be doing this with all of you and am really determined to stick to it. :cheer2:

k_hase
03-18-2006, 01:24 PM
macraven, thanks for your post. I'm sure you know as well as I do that the purge is about way more than the diet. I've been at my desired weight for a year and I've had relaspses within that year, usually when I'm feeling bad/out of control/or worried. I try to remember its not about winning and losing and what I actually weigh, its about how I feel. Right now I feel healthy, and a purge makes me feel unhealthy. I am fortunate that I've never done severe damage, but I've certainly been warned and I worry about that alot too.

I'm hoping that this board can be a place where we can all feel like we are doing something good for ourselves and not competing to be some ideal that shouldn't even be the ideal.

Trish5768
03-18-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm hoping that this board can be a place where we can all feel like we are doing something good for ourselves and not competing to be some ideal that shouldn't even be the ideal.

Well said. I totally agree. :thumbsup2

AdventurerKat
03-18-2006, 03:38 PM
That's exactly why I don't want anyone to feel any pressure for losing. You have to do it for yourself first, but getting support helps if that's what you want to do.

I have done WW too and I did well on it. That's why I am thinking of trying it again. I was doing it up until the point we made the decision to move down here and then things with my parents went completely crazy and I just felt so stressed from that moment up until just recently when I feel, a year later, things are starting to settle down. The weight I did lose when we got to Florida was simply due to the fact that I was getting outside down here and doing something.

I thank you for sharing your stories on how you were able to get the job done ladies. And any support and encouragement you can give those of us struggling is very appreciated. The pics were great. That was one thing I used to enjoy the most about WW, looking at the before and afters and thinking wow, if she can do it, so can I. I believe it too. I have a goal, and I have new friends to help me along the way.

On March 28, you can just PM me your weight. You don't have to post it here, and I won't tell anyone. I think Beth was a brave woman for doing so, but I know I am not that brave. :guilty:

sahbushka
03-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi Ladies,
Here is my story-
I have ALWAYS been the fat girl. Even when I was thin, I was the fat girl in my head. I had a serious weight issue growing up, and even though I tried to get it under control numerous times by diet, excersize, herbalife, and ww, the only time I ever got down to a healthy weight was with WW. I lost 93 lbs in one year. I was living in CA and my dh was going to seminary. Well, he decided to quit seminary. I just wasn't able to deal with this mentally so I dealt with it by eating. I agree with the quantity overeating, not necessarily on junk food. If it's in the house I will eat it. Anyway, I gained about 40 lbs back and then booked a cruise with my mom and grandma. I decided I didn't want to be heavy for the cruise so I started ww again. I lost a couple lbs and then the weight just stopped coming off. That had never happened to me before, but it didn't take me long to figure out the cause...I was pregnant with my first child. Well, I was very excited about that and I celebrated, by eating, everything. I gained 100 lbs with my pregnancy. Since then I have lost about 50, but I am still about 90 lbs from where I want to be. I started doing a modified ww on my own a couple weeks ago and have lost some weight. I currently weigh 238 lbs. I would love to be under 200 by our trip, and think it is possible as I am only 27 so still can lose it fairly easily, though I notice it's harder with the baby. I also usually get people who think I am not that large when they see my photo, but that is because I am very disproportionate. My upper body is pretty small, even my arms are relatively thin, but my butt and thighs are housing all my fat so I look like a giant pear! I am even wearing a light green right now, so I really look like that fruit! :rotfl2: So that's my story.l I know we can do this, we are strong amazing women who have a great thing to look forward to...being a disney with a bunch of other amazing women. I tell you one thing, I don't want to be dragging behind everyone else because I weigh so much that my legs hurt from carrying all that weight all around WDW! We Can do this! We WILL do this!
Sarah

AdventurerKat
03-18-2006, 08:56 PM
We Can do this! We WILL do this!
Sarah

That's the spirit Sarah! Welcome. :wave2:

mommaU4
03-18-2006, 10:09 PM
On March 28, you can just PM me your weight. You don't have to post it here, and I won't tell anyone. I think Beth was a brave woman for doing so, but I know I am not that brave. :guilty:
HA. Brave?? Uh, no. Psychotic maybe. :crazy: Brave would be getting the nerve to wear shorts in public again. But my weight is just a number. I will still be the same nutty self no matter what I weigh.
And it's good for me to shout it from the roof tops!!! 285!!! That's MY number. Remember it, because soon it will be going down.....270, 250, 225, 200, 190, 175, until my goal of 150 is reached. Might take me 2 years to do it but it's going down. :teeth:

Princess Michelle
03-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Hi everyone! I will read everyone's stories and post mine tomorrow. I just wanted to join in and also tell AdventurerKat thank you for hosting the challenge.

Best WISHes to all of you! :wizard:

zippeedee
03-19-2006, 02:16 AM
I am just in awe of the courage and honesty of this group.
I am really shy and private about this stuff (not that you can't tell just by looking at me that I have a serious problem). I haven't been skinny since I started first grade. My Mom has been taunting me about me weight since I was 7. The shame and embarrassment just drove me further into myself and my food obsession. It has hurt every part of my life.
I recently finished thyroid cancer treatments and gained so much weight while hypothyroid for treatments. I couldn't stand myself. The good news is that since I lost my job (rumor has it the woman who replaced my boss when he retired doesn't like fat people) I'm not "chained" to a desk and I'm much more active. My thyroid replacement is at a really high level to prevent recurrence of the cancer, and that seems to be helping too. I've lost 23 pounds since my highest weight last October.
I have good intentions but am my own worst enemy, especially when I'm home alone at night, with the chocolate and chips calling my name. You have all touched my heart with your stories. I bought a scale the other day, but it said I weighed under 200 (not since college!) so I need to return it and try again. I won't take that as a sign not to even try!
Thank you all for inspiring me. First you got me to post a picture, now this. Getting braver every day!

AdventurerKat
03-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Thank you all for inspiring me. First you got me to post a picture, now this. Getting braver every day!

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story. I know for someone who is shy that had to be very diffifult but you did it and I know just getting it out there has to feel good. :grouphug: I truly believe that we are all in this together now and are going to help one another.

There is something I haven't shared with you all yet that I just wanted to say. I moved down here to Florida last March. And while I love the weather, I have been very lonely and felt really disconnected. Honestly, its hard to make new friends when you are 36 and working in a very small office. I also have two small children so I don't get out much. Anyway, I haven't made a single new friend in Sarasota since I moved here. But these past couple of weeks, I have to say, that the sadness I have felt with all my friends being in Seattle and not making any new ones has dissipated. And I know why. I feel like I have made about 20 or so new friends all at once (the active posters on the threads, although I hope to make friends of the whole group by the time we leave Orlando). I have been a part of these boards since 2001 and I haven't felt the friendship and support that I have going on within the main trip thread and this one since I started DISing.

So I just want to tell you all that I am really grateful first to Beth to starting this whole thing, and second of all to all of you for joining in and joining in this weightloss quest too because its really made me feel a part of something with friends which is something I haven't had for a good year now, save the two visits I have had from friends in Seattle (and one coming up too!) I have been lucky enough to meet one DISer and she was great. I look forward to meeting all of you in September.

And I will stop with all the mushy stuff now or I might cry (or make some of you ladies sick, lol.)

Trish5768
03-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Welcome and thank you for sharing your story. I know for someone who is shy that had to be very diffifult but you did it and I know just getting it out there has to feel good. :grouphug: I truly believe that we are all in this together now and are going to help one another.

There is something I haven't shared with you all yet that I just wanted to say. I moved down here to Florida last March. And while I love the weather, I have been very lonely and felt really disconnected. Honestly, its hard to make new friends when you are 36 and working in a very small office. I also have two small children so I don't get out much. Anyway, I haven't made a single new friend in Sarasota since I moved here. But these past couple of weeks, I have to say, that the sadness I have felt with all my friends being in Seattle and not making any new ones has dissipated. And I know why. I feel like I have made about 20 or so new friends all at once (the active posters on the threads, although I hope to make friends of the whole group by the time we leave Orlando). I have been a part of these boards since 2001 and I haven't felt the friendship and support that I have going on within the main trip thread and this one since I started DISing.

So I just want to tell you all that I am really grateful first to Beth to starting this whole thing, and second of all to all of you for joining in and joining in this weightloss quest too because its really made me feel a part of something with friends which is something I haven't had for a good year now, save the two visits I have had from friends in Seattle (and one coming up too!) I have been lucky enough to meet one DISer and she was great. I look forward to meeting all of you in September.

And I will stop with all the mushy stuff now or I might cry (or make some of you ladies sick, lol.)

Wow! What a great post. :hug:

CarolynNC
03-19-2006, 09:27 AM
I decided to drop by and read up on the challenge. My problem is inactivity. I bring work home every night and spend most of my evenings sitting in front of the computer. If I'm not working I'm playing games or DISing. I was so inspired I got up, washed a sinkful of dishes, loaded the washer, and took a walk. That may not seem like a lot but believe me I never take a walk. You're all invited along on my next trek. I've got to get ready for walking around the parks all day. It will be hard keeping up with you younglings! :)

AdventurerKat
03-19-2006, 09:46 AM
I decided to drop by and read up on the challenge. My problem is inactivity. I bring work home every night and spend most of my evenings sitting in front of the computer. If I'm not working I'm playing games or DISing. I was so inspired I got up, washed a sinkful of dishes, loaded the washer, and took a walk. That may not seem like a lot but believe me I never take a walk. You're all invited along on my next trek. I've got to get ready for walking around the parks all day. It will be hard keeping up with you younglings! :)

Great job Carolyn. That is what I am going to start with. The simple things. I am starting to add more water back to my diet now and walk a bit more. Walking is really good for you, its easy and its free! We can ALL walk! :thumbsup2

jedi_librarian
03-19-2006, 11:05 AM

:grouphug:

macraven
03-19-2006, 03:39 PM
:confused3

AdventurerKat
03-19-2006, 03:59 PM
i have an idea. why don't we tell you what our weight is but add about 30 pounds to it so in case we don't lose our goal weight we won't feel bad when we see each other........it makes sense to me. if i can't lose the weight like i want to then i will still feel good in meeting everyone if they think i did lose some weight.

sometimes i think a little different. it's my way of surviving.

You are a silly girl. And the only ones who are going to know whether you have lost weight (or not) are you and me. And I won't tell. Whether you do or not is up to you. That's one of the reasons my boss made me the one who did the tracking, she knew I wasn't going to rat her out when she gained five instead of lost it. :)

I am also glad I don't come across sounding COMPLETELY pathetic (o.k. maybe I did but let me pretend for a moment) but I went from being a girl who had lunch with a girlfriend at least once a week to someone who sees no one and frankly, that just sucks. So at least now I feel like I can come on here once (or fifty) times a day and get out my useless babble to someone (or thirty or fourty someones). :thumbsup2

Princess Michelle
03-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I finally got a chance to read everyone's stories and I have to just give a huge :hug: to all of you. You are all amazing women and I know we are going to be able to help each other through losing weight, getting healthy and anything else that life throws our way!

Now I guess it's my turn...

I have been overweight probably since I was about 5 years old. I never had the energy or get up and go that most kids have. I was tired alot and had a lot of unexplainable aches and pains, especially back problems. Doctors always said it was just growing pains and nothing to worry about. I was always tall for my age so it was reasonable I guess for them to think I was just growing. My weight was always up and down, never at a healthy weight at all but at some ages it was better than at others. Things really started going downhill for me weightwise when I started working at the age of 16. I was now even more tired than I was before and in pain pretty much all the time. I figured it was just part of working so I never really said much about it, just slept a lot. My weight just kept going up steadily every year. When I was 23 I began having back pain that I just couldn't tolerate and the fatigue and joint pain was becoming unbearable. All I seemed to be doing was popping advil and sleeping whenever I could. It was difficult to sleep at night, I usually just tossed and turned. My mom finally made me go to the doctor. He thought at first that I might have Lupus and sent me for blood work, which came back negative. He determined that I had fibromyalgia and had probably had it since I was little, it just wasn't really known about then, especially not in children. He told me to try and lose weight and to just take the advil and try my best to live with it. That's what I did, nothing really seemed to help much though. I lost weight here and there, never a large amount and always seemed to gain it back. I'd be doing good, would have a flare and then fall off the wagon again. Fast forward to age 26, began having the excrutiating back pain again, it just wouldn't go away no matter what I did. I went to the doctor and he had a lightbulb moment and sent me for back x-rays. It turns out that I had a birth defect known as spina bifida occulta. I didn't have the outward signs that usually accompany it so I guess thats why no one else really ever thought to look for it. He gave me several different medications and nothing has really helped. I don't really even take ibuprofin or advil anymore because I don't feel like putting those things in my body when they don't really seem to help all that much. I know that the only thing that is really going to help me is losing weight. I lost my job when I was having the last bought of back problems and joined a gym during my time off. I managed to lose 25lbs. and was looking and feeling a whole lot better and felt like it was only going to get better from there. I started a new job in January of 2005 at a restaurant. I don't know if any of you have ever worked in a restaurant but holy cow, it's a completely different world than what I was used to. I hate it and can't wait to find a new job where I can have lunch breaks again. You find yourself snacking on the food there because you're hungry and it's easy. It's hard on your body standing all day with no break and I find myself not wanting to go to the gym at the end of the day because I'm so tired and achy. I've put on nearly 30lbs. since I started working there. I weigh more than my boyfriend now, how embarrassing! He is supportive and affectionate but 20 of those pounds came on since we started dating and I feel horrible. I look at pictures and I hate what I see. I look in the mirror and I hate what I see. I feel so insecure. I have to deal with this job for now until I can find another one. I drink water all the time, rarely have soda and alcohol so that's not really a problem. I can start taking some healthy snacks to work with me that I can eat throughout the day to help me not eat the food there and keep my metabolism going. I will just have to force myself to go to the gym when I get off work no matter how I feel. When I exercise I lose, that is key for me. I actually eat fairly healthy most of the time but when I get on a bad food eating spree it's hard to stop. I just have to remember moderation. I know what I need to do, I just have to put it into action and keep it in action instead off allowing myself to cave in at every little set back. I also tend to be an emotional eater and I have to get that under control. I have to find new ways of dealing with my emotions. Walk it off or anything other than eating.

I don't know about anyone else but I will post my weight on Thursday and I will be honest and accountable every weigh in after. I think it helps keep me on track to have it out there.

I think this is going to be a good thing for me and I'm looking forward to doing this with you ladies.

Does anyone have any short term goals? I do, I want to lose 10lbs. before mine and my boyfriend's 1 year anniversary on April 23rd. I want to be able to buy a new dress and feel good in it. I'm going to work my butt off to achieve that goal.

My goal for the 6 months is to lose 45lbs.

Thanks for listening and again, best WISHes to you all! :grouphug:

mommaU4
03-19-2006, 07:26 PM

OMG, I am sitting here with tears running down my face. Good thing I have on water proof mascara or I'd really have to give you a piece of my mind. :teeth:

I feel the same way. I used to post on the CB and it was fun but it hasn't been until lately that I feel like I have made some real connections.

When we moved from CA to MI in summer of 04 I knew it would take some getting used to. But it has been really hard. We had to leave one of our cars in CA and so we only have the one and DH uses it for work. We will have been here two years this summer and I haven't met a soul.

We live out in the boonies too. It takes about 25 minutes to get to "town" and when we go in, it never fails that my DH will run into someone that he knows from work. I'm happy that he has made connections here but so bummed for myself. It's hard being home day after day with no one to talk to but my kids.

Being a SAHM is great but it's a lonely job. Having everyone here to chat with means so much to me and I hope that we continue to get closer and have a blast on this trip. :)

AdventurerKat
03-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Welcome Michelle. I do have a short term goal. :) 15 pounds by my Mother's Day trip with my friends from Seattle. And my goal for the Ladies Trip, I think will be 40. I am not 100% sure on that yet. I am going to see how quickly I can dump that 15.

I didn't mean to make anyone else cry but me, honest Beth. Thank heavens for waterproof mascara! :thumbsup2

sahbushka
03-19-2006, 08:30 PM
my goal is 39 lbs as that would put me under 200! We can do this. Just a little something I am proud of...today I went to DQ with some ladies from church...they all had pecan mudslides and I had....WATER! Go Me! :cheer2: Would love to hear all of your mini-successes!
Sarah

macraven
03-19-2006, 08:31 PM
i'll be your friend............

AdventurerKat
03-19-2006, 08:36 PM
my goal is 39 lbs as that would put me under 200! We can do this. Just a little something I am proud of...today I went to DQ with some ladies from church...they all had pecan mudslides and I had....WATER! Go Me! :cheer2: Would love to hear all of your mini-successes!
Sarah

Sarah. You have inspired me to walk right past that candy dish at work tomorrow without even looking!

AdventurerKat
03-19-2006, 08:39 PM

:thumbsup2 Will you swipe me some Mickey heads? :)

mommaU4
03-19-2006, 08:57 PM
:sad: No one (sniff) wants to be (sniff) my friend. :guilty:

mommaU4
03-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Just a little something I am proud of...today I went to DQ with some ladies from church...they all had pecan mudslides and I had....WATER! Go Me! :cheer2: Would love to hear all of your mini-successes!
Sarah
Your my new hero. :worship: :thumbsup2

macraven
03-19-2006, 09:01 PM
[ :wave2:

macraven
03-19-2006, 09:02 PM
:sad: No one (sniff) wants to be (sniff) my friend. :guilty:

http://bestsmileys.com/comfort/3.gif

i'm your friend also momma

macraven
03-19-2006, 09:04 PM

AdventurerKat
03-19-2006, 09:42 PM
i would have gone for the mudslides.
diet starts the 28th :smooth:

LMAO!

AdventurerKat
03-19-2006, 09:44 PM
sure, i stole 75 on saturday ?

How on earth did you make it out of there with 75?????!!! Do you work as part of a Mickey head stealing team?? Or are you like a Mickey head cat burglar??? Hmmm.

I can wait til we get there. I think. Unless I think of something really cool I want to do with them before hand. I think an assortment would be good.

Note to roomie---we're decorating!

Princess Michelle
03-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Way to go Sarah! You're off to a great start already!

I will be friends with anyone who needs one! :hug:

AdventurerKat
03-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Alright, so I am starting a bit today. I have my big bottle of water by my desk. And at lunch, I will take at least a 15 minute walk through the neighborhood behind my office. Its pretty ritzy. I hope I don't get arrested. :)

Trish5768
03-20-2006, 09:30 AM
You should be OK as long as you don't run. If you run, they may think you stole something. :teeth:

Marseeya
03-20-2006, 09:31 AM
I've already dipped into the Jelly Belly's today. :guilty:

agotta
03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I've already dipped into the Jelly Belly's today. :guilty:
That's ok, it's still early :) No more jelly belly's :thumbsup2

AdventurerKat
03-20-2006, 10:17 AM
No one has to officially start until the 28th. Just remember that. I am trying to ease my way into it. :)

AdventurerKat
03-20-2006, 10:20 AM
And here is some information on Jelly Bellys:

Question: How many calories and carbohydrates are in a single Jelly Belly jelly bean?

Answer: There are 4 calories per bean, or about 100 calories per single serving (25 beans). They have approximately 1 gram of carbohydrate per bean and zero fat. Jelly Belly jelly beans offer a satisfying burst of flavor for a modest calorie investment. They are also certified Kosher

I don't think 100 cals per 25 beans is so bad (I eat them one at a time so I can savor the flavor.)

sahbushka
03-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Good morning ladies, how's everyone doing today? I am doing really well. I know we don't have to start till the 28th, but I started as soon as I heard about this trip, so I am just going to keep going! I have had a good morning...small packet of oatmeal with 1/2 cup milk and a water for breakfast and I have another water here at my desk!

And just a little note for marseeya...PUT THE JELLY BEANS DOWN!!! Just imagine them taped to your hips...boy would that be lumpy! :rotfl: You can do this!
Sarah

agotta
03-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Apparently I am all talk...

Just got back from Starbucks with coffee and a chocolate chip muffin. 400 calories and 22 grams of fat for just the coffee :thumbsup2

k_hase
03-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Holy Cow!! for a coffee?

I swam this morning before work and ate a yogurt (100 cal), cereal (100), banana (100 cal), strawberries (50 tops) and an apple (really small one, 50). I also had a bite size snickers from a co-workers desk (35) and one hard candy. Estimated total so far: 450.

And I've had no water, but 2 diet cokes. My teeth are going to fall out!!

agotta
03-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Well it was fancy-schmancy yuppie coffee (had chocolate in it :teeth: )

k_hase
03-20-2006, 11:25 AM
I shouldn't talk, if we had a Starbucks I'd be there too!! The only one in Webster is in the Target and its not open before work.

I'm leaving for lunch in a few minutes, so I'm sure the good food this morning will all be for naught. And yesterday I ate a hot dog and fries as a reward for running.

sahbushka
03-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Yes, actually if you are going to eat a little something for the flavor, jelly bellys are way better than the chocolate in the book I am entering a work right now. It's all of these different recipes for amazing chocolate concoctions! With Pictures!
Sarah

AdventurerKat
03-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Yes, actually if you are going to eat a little something for the flavor, jelly bellys are way better than the chocolate in the book I am entering a work right now. It's all of these different recipes for amazing chocolate concoctions! With Pictures!
Sarah

If I had that as my job, I would never lose any weight. I am certain of that.

mommaU4
03-20-2006, 01:58 PM
i would have gone for the mudslides.
diet starts the 28th :smooth:
:lmao: :lmao: You are so dang funny!! I dig that about you. :thumbsup2

Yay, we all have friends now. :sunny:

mommaU4
03-20-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm leaving for lunch in a few minutes, so I'm sure the good food this morning will all be for naught. And yesterday I ate a hot dog and fries as a reward for running.
You had "a hot dog"?? As in you stopped with just one? Oh wait, you mean we're supposed to not have two? Oh. Well, duh. I knew that. :rolleyes1

mommaU4
03-20-2006, 02:07 PM
And just a little note for marseeya...PUT THE JELLY BEANS DOWN!!! Just imagine them taped to your hips...boy would that be lumpy! :rotfl: You can do this!
Sarah
:rotfl2: Some of us already have that lumpy look. My lady lumps. :teeth:

I wonder how the carrot cake that I just made from scratch would look taped to my hips?? :scratchin :rotfl: But it's the best carrot cake ever. ;)

sahbushka
03-20-2006, 03:00 PM
So, my pants have started sliding down my hips! Yah! You know what that means.....yup...they have become stretched out and I need to go wash and dry them! :rotfl2: But seriously, I think I can tell that I have lost a little! It's good motivation to keep going...ya know!
Sarah

anut4disney
03-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Okay here goes, I am so embarrassed about my weight.

First of all obesity runs in my family grandfather weighed in at 428, uncle over 400 and even sister weighed close to 300 lbs. The only thing is I always weighed in at 99 lbs, yes I admit it 99 lbs. When I was pregant I only gained 19 lbs, dd weighed 7 lbs 5 ozs. I put on the same clothes that I wore before I was pregant to go home from the hospital.

Then somewhere between the age of 51 and 52 I socked on 60 lbs and I am only 5'2" tall. I went from a size 6 to a size 16. This was so drastic that the doctor even ran all kinds so test to see if something was the matter, nothing according to him.

I don't eat a lot of sweets, hardly ever finish everything on my plate and have even cut my pepsi's down to 1 a day and it doesn't seem to help. I even drink 8 glasses of water (except weekends) a day (ty Bubba Mug).

I do love salty stuff but I don't even eat a whole lot of that. I do like the mini snack pack of popcorn with my 1 can of pepsi. It is like my metabolism just totally shut down.

I am not going through the change because I had a total hysterectomy when I was 39. I just know I don't feel good, I have reflux now from the weight and I can't seem to get rid of the pounds.

I don't really exercise, but I do have 6 year old twins living with me and feel like I never stop going. :rotfl2:

I am 53 and don't expect to get back to 99 lbs but I would really like to get to at least 110 lbs. I am hoping that with ya'lls help I can do something about this.

mommaU4
03-20-2006, 03:39 PM
So, my pants have started sliding down my hips! Yah! You know what that means.....yup...they have become stretched out and I need to go wash and dry them! :rotfl2: But seriously, I think I can tell that I have lost a little! It's good motivation to keep going...ya know!
Sarah
:cool1: :cheer2: Yay for you!!

So the fact that I can barely button mine is not good? :confused3 :p

AdventurerKat
03-20-2006, 04:04 PM

But you RAN!

AdventurerKat
03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Sarah

Go Sarah, go Sarah. :woohoo:

AdventurerKat
03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
I am 53 and don't expect to get back to 99 lbs but I would really like to get to at least 110 lbs. I am hoping that with ya'lls help I can do something about this.

:grouphug: to you! Don't be embarassed. Reading your story it really sounds as if it could be medical. I am surprised the doctors could not find anything. I am assuming they did test your thyroid.

I hope we can help. I think for alot of us exercise is going to be the key. (isn't it for everyone darn it).

And wow..taking care fo 6 y.o. twins at 51. You are my hero. I can barely keep up with my two at 36. (They are not twins, 6 and almost three...somedays I feel like they are going to drive me :crazy: but I :love: them.)

macraven
03-20-2006, 05:00 PM

k_hase
03-20-2006, 06:34 PM
That afternoon snacking...its my nemesis. I pretty much have it beat now, I just don't go home afterwork. The gym, Target, Borders, anywhere that doesn't have my fridge in it seems to work. By the time I get home I just make dinner.

The next problem is after dinner snacks. Maybe I should just go to bed earlier?

And I weighed myself today. Since I reduced my running to three days a week and started cross training due to injury I've been in a constant weight maintenance battle and I'm losing. Over the past two months the increase has been slight, but its there, consistently higher. As of today I'm 5 pounds higher than the weight I had maintained for a year. That is the largest fluctuation since then. I have a normal 2-3 pound range that is my "okay" area, but I'm 5 pounds above that range. Time to buckle down.

mommaU4
03-20-2006, 06:48 PM
this is how my day has gone so far and it is only 4 cst.

lunch, went thru mcdonalds drive thru as lunch hour at work only 24 minutes.
had a burger and coke.

came home at 2:45 and ate....
corn dog
potatoe chips
soda
ice cream
hot pocket the one with cheese and meatballs in pizza sauce
candy bar
chli cheese fritos

i would have eaten more but all the good snack stuff is gone. kid home from college on spring break and he ate up my stash......

now i have to go to the grocery store to get things to make a casserole for dinner.

and, i will probably eat again then also.

i'm so pathetic with this chowing down. when i finished the ice cream i called curves for info. so tomorrow at 10 i have an appointment to get measured, weighed, etc and pay for the year in advance.

gee, for $444, i hope i go at least 10 times to get my money's worth.
i figured i need to start something tomorrow as then when the 28th rolls around, i may be down to a normal eating practice.

life was so much easier when i purged. i could eat anything i wanted to and not worry about gaining weight.

i am such a wimp when it comes to exercise. walking at disney is excercise for me............
and i set a new goal, need to lose 45 lbs not 40.......i weighed myself this morning. and i did that naked...........so can't say it was the clothes i had on that made me put on 5 more lbs on that scale.

why can't i just go to bed at night and wake up thin....????
You sound like me. I am a compulsive over-eater. What you ate I would also eat and then some. I could out eat a truck driver. And it wouldn't have to be "junk". That's what most people don't get. I could over eat at a salad bar. :rolleyes:

We'll do this. I promise.
In AA they say "one step at a time". For us it will be one meal at a time. Don't even think beyond that.

macraven
03-20-2006, 09:21 PM
:) :)

2BigKIdz
03-21-2006, 12:03 AM
WISH me luck ladies, I am officially starting diet and exercise today! I bought some hand weights and a jump rope this weekend, we already have an eliptical machine that has been collecting dust for the past several months that I will start using this evening!! I know we don't have to start until the 28th but I don't want to give myself any more excuses to keep eating.

Let's do this!! :cheer2: :wizard:

Trish5768
03-21-2006, 08:34 AM
WISH me luck ladies, I am officially starting diet and exercise today! I bought some hand weights and a jump rope this weekend, we already have an eliptical machine that has been collecting dust for the past several months that I will start using this evening!! I know we don't have to start until the 28th but I don't want to give myself any more excuses to keep eating.

Good Luck!!! :cheer2:

AdventurerKat
03-21-2006, 09:25 AM

Good luck! I am doing some little things right now, more water to start, but after my free weekend this weekend, I will be ready to go on Tuesday!

Marseeya
03-21-2006, 09:33 AM

Good luck! Jumping rope sounds like fun. :banana:

macraven
03-21-2006, 09:51 AM
:) :)

Trish5768
03-21-2006, 09:54 AM
yea, i have one pound weights in my closet too.
have had them for 4 years.........they are right where i placed them, they haven't moved yet.

sounds like my pilates machine. :blush:

sahbushka
03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Just wanted to say goodmorning to all you lovely ladies before I have to buckle down at work...oh, and I also wanted to show off the change in my weight ticker...down another 3 lbs! :cool1: :cheer2: I will start a new ticker next week at the start of the challenge! Sounds like a lot of you ladies are on the right track, but just remember, anything you gorge on this week, is just that much more that you will need to work off next week! Just a thought to keep in mind (especially conerning those chulupas...yum!)
Have a healthy day!
Sarah

AdventurerKat
03-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Have fun at Curves. I really enjoyed it. I wish there was one close to where I live now. There are some in town, but not convenient for me. :(

AdventurerKat
03-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Just wanted to say goodmorning to all you lovely ladies before I have to buckle down at work...oh, and I also wanted to show off the change in my weight ticker...down another 3 lbs! :cool1: :cheer2: I will start a new ticker next week at the start of the challenge! Sounds like a lot of you ladies are on the right track, but just remember, anything you gorge on this week, is just that much more that you will need to work off next week! Just a thought to keep in mind (especially conerning those chulupas...yum!)
Have a healthy day!
Sarah

Congrats Sarah!! That's awesome.

And I don't plan on gorging. Just eating like normal til Tuesday. :) I am pretty sure my weight will be the same as it is now.

sahbushka
03-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Right on! I personally love the chicken grilled stuffed borritos! I am doing a modified WW so I often will save enough points to have one for dinner...it makes my day! :banana: Plus, it's inexpensive...gotta love it! And way to make good choices as far as quantity goes :thumbsup2 ...that is always my main issue!
Sarah

macraven
03-21-2006, 01:12 PM

Marseeya
03-21-2006, 02:29 PM
I didn't go to the gym today, but my friend and I had to park far away from our building and it was a decent walk. Then we blew it by eating at a Mexican place called Qdoba's. Yikes!

I'll probably do something very light for dinner after that mistake!

sahbushka
03-21-2006, 03:21 PM
So I am hungry and what did I do??? I went and looked at the menus for some of the restaurants at WDW! Now I am starving! And I know one thing for sure...there is no such thing as a diet in WDW! I will do my best between now and then, but I WILL NOT turn down any food I want while on vacation!
Now I feel better :teeth: ,
Sarah

mommaU4
03-21-2006, 04:56 PM
I should not have come over here. All it did was make me want chalupas. :sad2: :p

I loooooove the Taco Bell chalupas. YUM!!! :teeth:

AdventurerKat
03-21-2006, 05:17 PM
So I am hungry and what did I do??? I went and looked at the menus for some of the restaurants at WDW! Now I am starving! And I know one thing for sure...there is no such thing as a diet in WDW! I will do my best between now and then, but I WILL NOT turn down any food I want while on vacation!
Now I feel better :teeth: ,
Sarah

Sarah, I am the same way. I know I am going to WDW and I will drink and I will eat. But if I can lose 40 pounds between now and then, the five I may gain (maybe not with all that walking) won't be so bad. I have been to WDW many a time and got right back on the horse. WDW has never been my downfall.

macraven
03-21-2006, 05:43 PM

AdventurerKat
03-21-2006, 06:35 PM
i walked all over the place last year and gained 12 lbs at the mother land.

OUCH!

agotta
03-21-2006, 07:30 PM
:sad2:
Taco Bell girls??

I was bad today too. Donughts and cupcakes, bagels with cream cheese.

I am making low-fat banana milkshakes for dessert tonight :)

Bought banana smoothie powder, add low fat milk, ice and lowfat vanilla ice cream...oh and bananas :) SO YUMMY!!

JennaTX
03-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Just wanted to say good luck to all of you who have started a week early! :cheer2:

I am giving myself this one last week, not really to pig out, just not to monitor what I am eating.

The hardest thing for me to give up will be eating in the evening after dinner, I always love a salty snack!

agotta
03-21-2006, 08:09 PM
I just remembered that the 28th is the day I fly back from Orlando, so I am not starting until the 29th :)

k_hase
03-21-2006, 09:04 PM
i walked all over the place last year and gained 12 lbs at the mother land.

I walked all over the place and ran 19 miles and gained five pounds in 3 days while in there!! What do they put in the food??

AdventurerKat
03-21-2006, 09:48 PM
The hardest thing for me to give up will be eating in the evening after dinner, I always love a salty snack!

Me too Jenna. Or a sweet one. It doesn't matter. I am an equal opportunity snacker. :sad2:

2BigKIdz
03-22-2006, 06:08 AM
Well the exercise thing didn't work out as well as I intended yesterday but the eating went well. I did try to jump rope last night but found out 2 things, 1- jumping rope requires a lot of space and 2- it's impossible to jump rope with a :cat: in the room!!!! :rotfl:

I am going to set up everything this am when I get home from work so my cd player will be ready, the eliptical will be cleared of dust :teeth: and I won't have any excuses not to exercise, and I'll lock :cat: out of the room!

:woohoo:

macraven
03-22-2006, 09:26 AM

macraven
03-22-2006, 09:29 AM
me:

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif

2bigkidz:

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/8.gif

Trish5768
03-22-2006, 10:01 AM
me:

2bigkidz:

:lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao:

You have my respect just for going and trying. I had pancakes and lots of syrup this morning and havent' moved from my computer chair. Good luck tomorrow! :cheer2:

sahbushka
03-22-2006, 10:11 AM
I still can't seem to find the time for organized excersize, but I am doing very well with the diet...had small packet of oatmeal, 1/2 cup low fat milk and a bottle of water for b-fast. And I did try to get some movement in yesterday by breaking out the stroller and walking to home depot instead of taking the car. It wasn't a long walk, but it was something!
Sarah
P.S. good for you who are attempting excersize...I know it can be intimidating!

macraven
03-22-2006, 10:51 AM

mommaU4
03-22-2006, 12:16 PM
i haven't exercised in over 19 years.......

day one and all i can think of are chalupas at taco bell right now.
Mmmmm. Sounds good. Maybe I'll have DH bring me home some for lunch.....

No that would be wrong. I'll have him bring home a big salad. Yeah, cause that's just as satisfying.

k_hase
03-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Exercise is the key, but I know its hard. Everyone says that you have to find something you like or at least don't mind doing. If you just cut your calories and don't increase your heart rate or muscles your body will just learn to live on few calories. You won't lose weight, but you won't be able to eat anything either. So we've all got to get moving,

Think of it this way (I told Kelly this last week), all exercise also has what they call an afterburn period. The higher your intensity of exercise, the greater the number of calories you burn BOTH during AND AFTER exercise. The more your sweat and breathe hard, the more you are burning both during the session and the more you burn for several hours afterwards.

One important part of this is the effort. We've got to sweat and breathe hard!! We can do this!!

sahbushka
03-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Exercise is the key, but I know its hard. Everyone says that you have to find something you like or at least don't mind doing. If you just cut your calories and don't increase your heart rate or muscles your body will just learn to live on few calories. You won't lose weight, but you won't be able to eat anything either. So we've all got to get moving,

Think of it this way (I told Kelly this last week), all exercise also has what they call an afterburn period. The higher your intensity of exercise, the greater the number of calories you burn BOTH during AND AFTER exercise. The more your sweat and breathe hard, the more you are burning both during the session and the more you burn for several hours afterwards.

One important part of this is the effort. We've got to sweat and breathe hard!! We can do this!!

Boy am I in trouble! I used to excersize all the time, well, for one period of my life, but since I have had my son, work, and volunteer at my church, I just can't seem to find the time! Money is tight too, so a gym isn't going to work. It's the pacific northwest so the weather sucks too bad to be out doors, and I live in an apartment, top floor, so it's not like I can do an aerobics video after ds is in bed as I will be basically jumping around on someones head! I am doomed!
Sarah

anut4disney
03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
We've got to sweat and breathe hard!!
Well I will have to do this when dh isn't home because I know where he would think this is going. :lmao:

Marseeya
03-22-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm not doing too bad with my eating today, but I'm skipping the exercise. I'm headachy and just feel blah.

For breakfast I had a nest egg (cut a hole in the middle of some light bread, break and egg in the hole and fry in some butter), then for lunch I had a Smart Ones meal and a WW cookies & cream bar for dessert.

Not sure what we're doing for supper yet -- I'm thinking spaghetti or some other sort of pasta.

macraven
03-22-2006, 04:03 PM
The more you sweat and breathe hard, the more you are burning. think of doing this while dreaming of johnny depp........

One important part of this is the effort. We've got to sweat and breathe hard!! and be stronger so you can knock over all the other gals in line for johnny depp i tell you. it is so worth it. !

:teeth:

2BigKIdz
03-22-2006, 06:50 PM
me:

2bigkidz:

:rotfl2:

:thumbsup2 for me, just finished exercising!!! I lifted weights, tried to do some sit-ups and then whatever it is you do on an eliptical machine (walk, jog? I don't know :confused3 but I did it!)

I put in a cd of hip-hop and that really got me moving. :banana:

AdventurerKat
03-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Well, I informed my son that his afternoons are soon going to be spent in the gym...with his gameboy while mommy tries to get in at least a half hour of doing something. Once I mentioned the gameboy aspect, he didn't seem too upset about it. :thumbsup2

k_hase
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I just had a thought inspired by Kelly, who told me to run to Florida and not buy a plane ticket.

Could we do some kind of challenge that relates to miles to Florida from your town? For example, according to mapquest, Disney is 1280 miles from me. For the next six months I could tally all my workouts in miles and see how close I get to Disney.

All other workouts could be translated to miles. If you use a bike or elliptical or those types of machines they all give you distance traveled readouts in miles. Our PE teachers count aerobic workouts too, 10 minutes equals one mile of effort, a 30 minute curves workout equals 2 miles of effort, swimming 1800 yards equals 4 miles of effort. We did a challenge like this at work last year and tallied the miles of the staff.

I just thought it could be a sort of motivational idea, if as you worked out you could think of it as one mile closer to Disney.

I'm even willing to provide some sort of reward to everyone who breaks 250 miles or 500 miles or something like that. 500 would be a 2.7 miles of effort everyday for 6 months, so you could do an aerobic video for 27 minutes to get that done, or go for a walk that long, or go for 54 minutes every other day or whatever, you're all adults, you do the math!

But its up to you. My anal retentive nature already keeps track of this kind of nonsense. I even have graphs. I'm such a dork.

macraven
03-23-2006, 05:34 PM

macraven
03-23-2006, 05:37 PM

Marseeya
03-23-2006, 06:05 PM
you have to realize i havent exercised in 19 years. i move at a snails pace.

Slow and steady wins the race. :teeth:

Just out of curiosity, do any of you know how fast you're supposed to walk on a treadmill? Shouldn't you be able to do a mile in 20 minutes or something like that? I do 20 minutes, but only get about .8 or .9 mile. I can't keep up the pace at 3 mph.

SnowWhite33
03-23-2006, 09:14 PM
i don't think i am that ambitious..........it takes a lot of thinking.

i just started curves this week and i don't even like it. i gained 2 lbs so far and have gone 3 days...............and it's not muscle

if nothing works for me in 2 weeks, i will do another diet.

I've missed a lot on this thread, sorry.

mac-I just joined Curves last week-it's already gotten easier. That 1st day I wasn't sure if I was going to make it around once, but I did. I've gone every day since last Wed after work. Today I did 3 rotations and it's a little easier every day. YOU CAN DO IT!!

k_hase
03-24-2006, 07:42 AM
Slow and steady wins the race. :teeth:

Just out of curiosity, do any of you know how fast you're supposed to walk on a treadmill? Shouldn't you be able to do a mile in 20 minutes or something like that? I do 20 minutes, but only get about .8 or .9 mile. I can't keep up the pace at 3 mph.

I don't think there is a pace you are "supposed" to walk, its what ever you can do that elevates your heart rate. The better shape you are in, the faster you will have to walk to elevate your heart rate.

I would recommend setting the incline on the treadmill at 1%. Its barely noticeable while on it and mimics walking unassissted on land more accurately. Also, don't hang on to the rails or the monitor unless its to check your heart rate. Hanging on reduces your effort by quite a bit.

Macraven, you can do this. Maybe Curves insn't for you, but something else will be. You can go for a 30 minute walk anywhere!!

macraven
03-24-2006, 07:58 AM

k_hase
03-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Curves is great if you are starting from scratch. The 30 minute or so workout burns about the same calories as a 2 mile walk. If you do this work out almost daily and cut 300 calories of a day from your food you will lose a pound a week. 300 calories is 1.5 cokes, or 1.5 candy bars, or a bagel (naked!), or a big bowl of cereal with milk...

Also, if you have higher resistance on the machines you will be building some muscles. Muscles burn calories just existing on your body. Fat does not burn calories existing on you body. So as you slowly add muscle and lose fat your daily calorie burn increases and you will continue to lose weight.

Congrats on today!!!

Princess Michelle
03-24-2006, 09:14 AM
I haven't been able to post every day but I've been trying to read and stay up to date with the thread and I have to say I am so proud of everyone! :thumbsup2

It seems like everyone chose to take this week to begin preparing themselves and get their minds in that zone where it needs to be and start moving their bodies more.

I did the same thing myself. I really tried to focus on getting my eating in order and I think I've done really well. I've been taking some raw veggies and some cheddar cheese to work every day so that I have something healthy and nutritious to eat instead of all the temptations that call to me there and I've been fine. Yesterday I didn't have anything to take with me (it's grocery day) and I was starving when I got off so I had a chicken breast and a salad at work and it wasn't really hard to choose that because my body actually wanted it. I did have pizza Monday night but it was loaded with veggies, it had meat and cheese too but I think the peppers, onions and mushrooms far outweighed the rest of the toppings. Anyway, I had eaten lighter for breakfast and lunch so I know the few pieces of pizza did not damage my week. I just have to remember the rule of moderation. I've been Drinking tons of water but that's normal for me anyway, it's been my drink of choice for years.

With exercise I haven't been so in the groove. I only managed to get to the gym once this week and that's no good. It's definitely better than nothing but not good enough. Starting Monday I'm going to start going before work because going after is just not working for me. If I go in the morning and get it out of the way then it's not something I have to worry about when I get off work and am tired, hungry and my body is aching. It will mean I'll probably have to get up an hour earlier but I believe it's worth the sacrifice. I used to do it and that's how I managed to lose weight and was keeping it off but some things changed and I needed to start going after work but now those things aren't an issue anymore and I think it's time to get back into that routine that worked for me before. So I'm actually looking forward to it.

I am really proud of all of us for working to make ourselves healthier. Keep up the good work, Ladies, you're SO worth it! :hug:

SnowWhite33
03-24-2006, 10:09 AM
ok, this morning was my 4th time at curves.
i did the 3 rotations.

i can't figure out how i am going to lose weight by doing curves. a 35 minute time period doesn't seem like much.

i'll keep going. you have that contract and have to pay for the year if you go or not.

i got my $149 registration waived by paying for the entire year in advance when i signed up. whew..........that money would have been better spent on chocolate snowy...........

but i will hang in there.

how do you like curves snowy?

For me 35 minutes at curves is at least 35 minutes of something. I have NEVER excersised-EVER!! I just accepted it as a fact that the older I got the more I was suppose to weigh. And I've never watched what I eat-if I wanted it I ate it. At 5'3 , 191 lbs is too much though and finally something clicked in my head that I should do something about it. I want to lose the weight, but more than anything I want to be healthy. So the cokes are gone-completely and they have been replace with water-lots of water. I'm also watching what I eat, no more cookie/candy binges. Last night while watching tv I wanted to eat-I grabbed some cauliflower-I know that doesn't sound so good-but it's better than Doritos.

To answer your ? mac-I really enjoy curves. But I also see a friend for at least part of the time I'm there, so I don't feel so "alone" in what I'm doing. I've just made it part of my day. I actually look forward to going. My energy level has increased and I've noticed it.

DizznyChick
03-24-2006, 10:12 AM
count me in-you have got me motivated

DizznyChick
03-24-2006, 10:15 AM
marseeya-i think its whatever you can do without feeling stressed
push yourself but not so much that you cant talk
and i think any time off the couch walking is good

AdventurerKat
03-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey girls. Just checking in here. Its our last weekend before our first weigh in!

My mexican meal on Saturday has been canceled due to my SIL illness but its probably just as well.

I will post the list of people I have PMs from who are participating here on Sunday. If your user name is not on the list, PM me and let me know.

Kim, thank you for providing motivation for us girls. I love hearing from someone who has actually done it.

Mac, Curves worked good for me. That's all I know. :thumbsup2

Marseeya
03-25-2006, 09:05 AM
marseeya-i think its whatever you can do without feeling stressed
push yourself but not so much that you cant talk
and i think any time off the couch walking is good

My problem is that I could probably go for longer on the treadmill, but my feet give out! I have tendonitis in my arches, so after about five minutes of walking my feet start to hurt. By 15 minutes I'm pushing it, then at 20 I have to quit. Aerobically, I could go longer and it would be better for me. On the recumbent bike, I can go about 10 minutes before my legs give out. I just need to strengthen my muscles before I get a good aerobic workout on the bike.

macraven
03-25-2006, 10:19 AM
i :wave2:

sahbushka
03-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I am down another 3 lbs! 18 gone! And I am very excited about that. I am taking my son swiming this afternoon to try to get moving! It is soooo cold out right now, that I don't feel I can take him out for a walk...he's only 10 months old!
Sarah

macraven
03-25-2006, 01:16 PM
in 6 months we wil be doing the happy dance when this happens..

http://bestsmileys.com/happy/6.gif

macraven
03-25-2006, 01:18 PM
I am down another 3 lbs! 18 gone! And I am very excited about that. I am taking my son swiming this afternoon to try to get moving! It is soooo cold out right now, that I don't feel I can take him out for a walk...he's only 10 months old!
Sarah

http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/1.gif

way to go

Princess Michelle
03-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Way to go, Sarah! You are doing great! :cheer2:

AdventurerKat
03-25-2006, 03:01 PM
First off:

Way to go Sarah! That's awesome.

Well, I walked 2.5 miles today. Its not alot but its 1.25 miles more than I did yesterday. :) (I only walked home from the mall as opposed to to and from the mall) I really like this walk however and may start taking it a few times a week and then trying to add a side jaunt to make it longer as I get more used to it. I am thinking about going and checking out our gym here now. I am actually dressed to do it so I really should go and just try it out. Or maybe I will later tonight as who works out on a Saturday night. Well, o.k. I would be but I don't have anything else to do. :)

TnTsParty
03-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Sorry wrong post

k_hase
03-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Marseeya-do you have orthotics? Not sure if that's what you need, but as a woman who sells running/walking shoes at a running speciality store, I think you need different shoes.

What you probably need is a stability running sneaker or even a motion control running sneaker. Stability shoes will support your arch and prevent the mild pronation that adds to arch problems. Motion Control shoes are more severe in stopping that pronation, and usually are used by those whose arches are fallen or whose ankles curve in so much it appears their arches have fallen.

If you haven't done so, get thee to a local speciality running store (not Foot Locker or Dicks or the like, they don't know what they are doing) and get measured and fit. THe local shops usually know what they talking about and will be able to just look at your feet and help you.

And if you are concerned about them being running shoes, running shoes are just as good for walking as they are for running and are usually more verstile.

AdventurerKat
03-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Alright my fellow Ladies Only WISHers. Just a couple more days til first weigh-in. The people I have on my list of participants are:

AdventurerKat
MommaU4
Trish5768
Alicnwondrln
macraven
JennaTX
sahbushka
DizznyChick
Anut4Disney
Marseeya
Mom2Ashli
2BigKidz
Agotta
Princess Michelle
Zippeedee

And our personal cheerleading squad:

:cheer2: KHase :cheer2:
:cheer2: JediLibrarian :cheer2:

Two of our ladies who have fought the battle and won.

If I am missing you, either PM me or I will find out on Tuesday when you PM me your starting weight. :)

Marseeya
03-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Marseeya-do you have orthotics? Not sure if that's what you need, but as a woman who sells running/walking shoes at a running speciality store, I think you need different shoes.

What you probably need is a stability running sneaker or even a motion control running sneaker. Stability shoes will support your arch and prevent the mild pronation that adds to arch problems. Motion Control shoes are more severe in stopping that pronation, and usually are used by those whose arches are fallen or whose ankles curve in so much it appears their arches have fallen.

If you haven't done so, get thee to a local speciality running store (not Foot Locker or Dicks or the like, they don't know what they are doing) and get measured and fit. THe local shops usually know what they talking about and will be able to just look at your feet and help you.

And if you are concerned about them being running shoes, running shoes are just as good for walking as they are for running and are usually more verstile.

Thanks for the advice! I did have orthotic inserts for my shoes and they helped, but if I did any amount of walking for a long period of time, my feet hurt no matter what I'd wear. Right now I'm wearing Rykas, which have been the absolute best for me so far. I'm definitely open to trying something new though. I'm not sure where there's a specialty running store around here, but I bet there's one in Pittsburgh. I'll have to check! :)

k_hase
03-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the advice! I did have orthotic inserts for my shoes and they helped, but if I did any amount of walking for a long period of time, my feet hurt no matter what I'd wear. Right now I'm wearing Rykas, which have been the absolute best for me so far. I'm definitely open to trying something new though. I'm not sure where there's a specialty running store around here, but I bet there's one in Pittsburgh. I'll have to check! :)

I'd have to look at our Ryka's as far a arch support goes. They are a good shoe, but hard to find! Arch trouble really stinks, Good Luck!!

Princess Michelle
03-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Well, I went to the grocery store tonight and got my food for the next two weeks. Lots of healthy things to take to work since that is my biggest downfall.

Tomorrow will be my first day back to the gym before work in a long time so everyone wish me luck. Getting out of bed will be the hardest part. I'm going to go get my gym bag packed so it's all ready to go in the morning. Hopefully I'll get to sleep at a decent time too and sleep good. I'm dealing with some personal issues right now and I'm sure everyone knows that lying in your bed at night is when your mind most chooses to dwell on things. Plus the fibromyalgia messes with my sleep also but praying for a good night. I think I'm going to start doing a stretching video before going to bed each night and see if that helps. I also heard the other day that exercising earlier in the day actually helps you sleep better at night, hope that's true! :cloud9:

I'm meeting a friend for dinner tomorrow night but we're going somewhere like Panera or Crispers where we can get something healthier.

So good luck to everyone, I'll be thinking about you and sending lots of pixie dust your way! :wizard:

AdventurerKat
03-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Well, I went to the grocery store tonight and got my food for the next two weeks. Lots of healthy things to take to work since that is my biggest downfall.

Tomorrow will be my first day back to the gym before work in a long time so everyone wish me luck. Getting out of bed will be the hardest part. I'm going to go get my gym bag packed so it's all ready to go in the morning. Hopefully I'll get to sleep at a decent time too and sleep good. I'm dealing with some personal issues right now and I'm sure everyone knows that lying in your bed at night is when your mind most chooses to dwell on things. Plus the fibromyalgia messes with my sleep also but praying for a good night. I think I'm going to start doing a stretching video before going to bed each night and see if that helps. I also heard the other day that exercising earlier in the day actually helps you sleep better at night, hope that's true! :cloud9:

I'm meeting a friend for dinner tomorrow night but we're going somewhere like Panera or Crispers where we can get something healthier.

So good luck to everyone, I'll be thinking about you and sending lots of pixie dust your way! :wizard:

Good luck Michelle. I hope you can get a good nights sleep and wake up ready to tackle that gym!

Princess Michelle
03-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks Kat! :wave:

Marseeya
03-27-2006, 06:44 AM
I'd have to look at our Ryka's as far a arch support goes. They are a good shoe, but hard to find! Arch trouble really stinks, Good Luck!!

I bought a pair of Rykas last year for our trip to WDW. When I first tried them on, they felt like I had cushions on my feet. They were the first shoe I found that actually felt better than going barefoot! I found the same style at Famous Footwear a couple of weeks ago for $39. :earseek: I could not pass by a deal like that.

I heard from a podiatrist that New Balance is the best, but for whatever reason they just don't fit my feet right. Neither does Nike. So far I've only been able to wear Reeboks and Rykas. My feet are extremely wide. :guilty:

DizznyChick
03-27-2006, 09:19 AM
i have to go food shopping today to get food for my diet
now i really have a problem because im going to wdw 4/6 until 4/14
its not happening there ( the diet i mean )
i love the fiesta margaritas-the biergarten-come on thats all sausage
so im thinking about starting when i get back
which is easter weekend and if i could find a cheap flight i would stay longer in disney
im so fat and ive been looking for something to get me going
i really want in on this challenge
can i give my starting weight on the 28th but not diet until i get back from vacation ?
well.....either way your stories have inspired me
especially kat
i did move away from family and as i loved living in colorado because of its beauty-i mean reallly super outrageous everyday
i missed my family
i told my then dh i dont care if we live in a box i want to go home
my ex is a very friendly guy and makes friends very easily
im the opposite and it takes me years to make 1 or 2 close friends
the friends he made in colorado were very nice and even invited us over for holiday dinners but im so shy it was hard for me and some confuse shyness with snobiness
looking back i feel bad now-so many nice people we met
but i moved back home and he came back with me
well-thats not the story of my big butt but ive been at work and up for 24 hours and someones story got me going
see-i confuse myself-i work 12 hour night shifts 7pm until 7am
but we eat fast food working nights
and i quit smoking 3 packs a day 1 year ago
excuses.......excuses
but im in on the diet
starting tomorrow-i'll send in my weight

sahbushka
03-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Hello everyone! Are you all ready to do this! Less than 24 hours to go and then it's on! I am looking forward to going through this with you! We can do this! It's a good thing we aren't ordering our t-shirts for a while, or they would all be too big on us for the trip!
Sarah

mommaU4
03-27-2006, 03:44 PM
:guilty: :guilty: :guilty:
I don't think I can do this. I want to but I have more to lose than anyone else here. And it just seems impossible. Maybe I should just take my name off the list and look into that surgery like everyone else with the same amount of weight to lose that I have. It seems like the only way. Maybe insurance would cover it.

For me this is like going into rehab. It's giving up my drug. What will I do then? Everyone is so pumped to do this and I don't want to be the only downer. No one wants that around. I've even been trying to stay away from this thread so as not to bum any body out.

Well, I guess I have until tomorow to make my decision. I'll let ya know.

Princess Michelle
03-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Beth, I know you have a lot to lose but honey, so do some of the rest of us. I need to lose 100lbs! I only set my goal for 45 for the challenge but I need to lose 100! You CAN do this! We will all be here to support you and help you any way that we can. I know it's hard, it is soooooooo hard, if it wasn't we'd all be at the perfect weight already. I hope that you'll join us, please? We want to be here for you. :hug:

sahbushka
03-27-2006, 06:16 PM
I second that...I put my goal for the trip at 42 lbs but I also need to lose about 100! I know you have a bunch to lose, but this challenge is just about supporting each other in this journey. One reason is so we will all feel better about ourselves and more confident in ourselves. Another reason is that it is another way to bond us for this trip! How many chances are you going to get to have this many women cheering you on and supporting you through this awful thing called weight loss that so many of us struggle with. It may be daunting individually, but together it will be much more fun and much more manageable! You CAN do this! We are here to help! You are worth it!
Sarah

mommaU4
03-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks Michelle and Sarah. Although I have seen both your pics and if you have 100 to lose then I must need to lose 200 because neither of you show that at all.

I will give it a go. Nothing like trying to change 10 years of over-eating over night. Nah, I'm kidding. I know it will not be that easy. Baby steps. One meal at a time. One day at a time.

I guess I should break it down too into a smaller goal. It seems too overwhelming to say I need to lose 135 lbs. Better to say 35 first and then go from there.

Thanks again for the pep talk ladies. I will try. :)

Marseeya
03-27-2006, 08:18 PM
I have mini goals of about 10 pounds each. :thumbsup2 Much easier to break it down that way. I can't stand to think about the big picture -- it's too overwhelming.

AdventurerKat
03-27-2006, 08:52 PM
First off:

BETH! You can do this. Even if you lose ten pounds by September, that's a victory. But don't sell yourself short. I believe you can do this. We all do.

Little goals is how you start. I am hoping for ten or fifteen by May 11th. After that, I will set another one for July.

Have faith in yourself honey.

To everyone else:

I look forward to your PMs tomorrow and my overflowing mail box. I am excited about this journey we are all going on together. Both of them!

Goodnight!

k_hase
03-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Beth-I was just thinking that maybe our goals shouldn't be so focused on what we weigh. What if instead of thinking about the pounds as a goal we thought about being able to walk 2 miles faster, or 2 mile at all, or the goal to make sure you have 3 pieces of fruit everyday, or that you workout for 45 minutes 4 times a week. Those goals are much less scary for me. The goal of not eating chocolate all week or all year is more than I can handle, but goals of things I can add to my life seem easier.

I still freak out when I think of denying myself. I'm obsessed with it sometimes. I try to focus instead on something attainable. That I'll make sure I have enough fruits and veggies, or that I exercise everyday. If we achieve those goals we will be healthier people. The weight should be secondary. We should care that we are healthy enough to commando park tour without having to take a break. We should care that all these women are inspiring and tough and beautiful because of their friendship, not because of their weight.

Now I think that's all mushy, I just hope that you'll stay around and try to find a way of thought that focuses on the healthy advantages.

Please stay Beth!!

JennaTX
03-28-2006, 12:05 AM
Okay ladies, I am getting really excited about starting this tomorrow!

We went Saturday and changed our YMCA membership to the one near our house. It is sooo nice. They have an indoor pool and an outdoor pool, one room with all of the cardio equipment and another room for the weights, they also have a women's center that I did not check out yet (since the whole family was there) but it sounds a lot like Curves. They also offer massages, facials, etc. Who knew they would do facials at the Y? So that is my reward. For every 15 pounds, I get a massage or facial.

The weekends are the hardest for me. I will eat good all week and lose a pound or two, and then end up gaining it back over the weekend of eating out. So I plan on giving myself one weekend night to eat what I want, which will probably be going to eat Mexican Food. I am hoping that by giving myself one "cheat" meal, it will help me to stay on the program longer.

Beth, please stay, forget the "challenge" part of it, and just do what we are all going to do, take it day by day and try to become a little more healthier.

I think that having this support group is really going to help a lot!!!! One crazy diet that I did years ago, was that I counted my fat grams, I only let myself have 10 grams of fat a day. The only way I lasted on that one, was that I had one friend, who called me EVERY DAY, she would ask how many grams of fat I had eaten and then just praise, praise, praise me! It made me feel so good and helped keep me on track.

So :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

YOU CAN DO IT! HAVE A GREAT TUESDAY! I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: THE DIS LADIES ROCK!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

2BigKIdz
03-28-2006, 04:58 AM
I pm'ed Kat my weight but I am too ashamed to post it for everyone one to see. My husband made me tell him my weight and I almost cried. Hopefully the shame will keep me motivated.

Beth- you are not alone, I have almost 100 lbs to lose. Only you know if this is the right time for you to do this or not. :grouphug:

Okay ladies let's get motivated!
http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/5.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/6.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/9.gif

AdventurerKat
03-28-2006, 06:02 AM
Good morning everyone! Today's the kick off day. I'm waiting for DH to get out of the bathroom so I can go make friends with the scale.

I hope everyone has a good first day. :thumbsup2

Jenna. I do that too. That it was one of the things I really liked about Weight Watchers. I felt like I COULD do that. When I get back from Orlando, I think I am going to sign up again.

Marseeya
03-28-2006, 06:19 AM
PM sent to Kat with my weight. :blush: That was difficult. I argued with myself a few times, but figured what the hey.

AdventurerKat
03-28-2006, 06:34 AM
PM sent to Kat with my weight. :blush: That was difficult. I argued with myself a few times, but figured what the hey.

Marseeya. I'm on your side. Thank you for taking that first step.

macraven
03-28-2006, 07:32 AM

macraven
03-28-2006, 07:39 AM

Princess Michelle
03-28-2006, 07:44 AM
I PM'd you Kat!

I'm not happy with my starting weight but I am going to post it here because having it public helps me be more accountable. I weighed in this morning at 230lbs. I think I will keep track of my measurements too, I just have to find my measuring tape...

Beth, that picture in my signature is from the waist up, you can't see my huge butt, legs and belly. I've also put on about 20lbs. since that picture was taken. I think when I get home from work today I'm going to take an official start day picture and post it here. Hopefully when all is said and done I'll have an end picture to post that looks a lot different! I agree with everyone who said small goals, one step at a time. You can do it and we will all support you every step of the way. :hug:

Well, I made it out of bed yesterday and got myself to the gym! I was so happy. I did a 45 minute walk on the treadmill and actually walked without holding on for about half of that time. I have to work on that though. The way I did it was I would let go for one minute then hold on again, then I'd let go for two and so on and so forth. All in all I didn't hold on for about 22 of the 45 minutes. That was a huge thing for me because I always feel like I'm going to trip or fall if I don't hold on. I'm looking forward to doing even better next time. The showers at the gym weren't as scary as I'd imagined either. They actually did have curtains! LOL :thumbsup2

I went out to dinner with a friend last night and got a cup of soup and a wrap. I only ate half the wrap and didn't eat the chips that came with it either so that will be lunch today.

I also did my stretching video the last two nights before bed. I'm really happy about how things are going this week. I just hope I can keep the motivation and keep it going. Right now I'm pretty tired. I know it will take some getting used to but I really want to do it this time and I want it to be the last time.

Have a great day ladies, you are all worth the time and effort to take care of you, remember that today! :sunny:

Princess Michelle
03-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Mac, I'd sure come get that stash for you if I could! I hope you can get rid of it soon!

Marseeya
03-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Michelle touched on a good idea. We should all consider posting before pictures of ourselves -- full body pics. :earseek: I honestly don't have any because I don't let people take full body pics, so I'll have to get DH to take one of me.

Also, Michelle, it sounds as if you're off to a great start! You go girl! :cheer2:

k_hase
03-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Okay, first day.

I don't have weight to lose, but my methods of maintaining it have been extremely unhealthy. Like Mac I've been bulimic, although its been a couple of years since it was a daily problem. I suppose I'm not really over it because I still have binge and purge sessions. Until sunday I hadn't had one in over a month, and before that it had been a few weeks also. Sunday was the last one.

I promise.

The idea of going 6 months without this behavior is all at once exhilarating and scary. I'm afraid of failure. I'm afraid entire boxes of cereal, cans of reddi-whip and whole pies will disappear before I can stop myself. I'm afraid that once I screw up once I'll give my self permission to do it again and again.

So, six months. One day at a time.

AdventurerKat
03-28-2006, 08:50 AM
I think its a great idea to do your measurements too. I do them.

I will try and have a full body shot of me taken this weekend. Maybe. I look alot like Donald Duck. :sad2:

anut4disney
03-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Hello everyone, well today is the big day and I am hoping against hope to lose some weight before our big trip.

For me I am thinking that exercise http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/2.gif is going to be my big boost. I really don't eat a lot, don't really eat sweets and I have cut myself down to one pepsi a day (sorry but I just need at least one a day). I have a bubba mug at work that holds 8 glasses a water so I drink that during the week.

Okay my weight as of this morning is 157.5 lbs (I know I don't have to tell but what the heck), now you know something that even my dh doesn't know. I am not even telling him about doing this in case I fail to lose. I am hoping to lose at least 47 lbs, I know I will never be back at the 99 lbs I was about 2 1/2 years ago and being my age (53) probably don't want to be (a little weight looks better on an older person).

I wish everyone luck and no matter what we are all winners just because we are trying.

P. S. Here is a great place that you can tract your weight, what you eat (gives all the information) and receipes, exercises and it is free.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/

Okay enough rambling now, have a nice day. :cheer2:

I swear this is the last thing but we will be giving our new weight every Tuesday, is this correct?

AdventurerKat
03-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Hello everyone, well today is the big day and I am hoping against hope to lose some weight before our big trip.

For me I am thinking that exercise is going to be my big boost. I really don't eat a lot, don't really eat sweets and I have cut myself down to one pepsi a day (sorry but I just need at least one a day). I have a bubba mug at work that holds 8 glasses a water so I drink that during the week.

Okay my weight as of this morning is 157.5 lbs (I know I don't have to tell but what the heck), now you know something that even my dh doesn't know. I am not even telling him about doing this in case I fail to lose. I am hoping to lose at least 47 lbs, I know I will never be back at the 99 lbs I was about 2 1/2 years ago and being my age (53) probably don't want to be (a little weight looks better on an older person).

I wish everyone luck and no matter what we are all winners just because we are trying.

P. S. Here is a great place that you can tract your weight, what you eat (gives all the information) and receipes, exercises and it is free.

Okay enough rambling now, have a nice day. :cheer2:

I swear this is the last thing but we will be giving our new weight every Tuesday, is this correct?

Anut4Disney, can you PM that to me as I am at work and I am afraid I may miss it later, especially as it is the first day and this thread could get busy. Also, yes, PM weight every Tuesday. :)

I am taking steps to exercise more myself. And water. I have a nice big bottle next to me. The soda is going to be a tough one for me but I am at least going to try and cut down on it.

anut4disney
03-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Okay as for posting a picture I will have to get one taken. I am the picture taker so I don't get in the pictures. I look like the Pillsburgy dough boy with breasts. :lmao: Short and squatty body.

sahbushka
03-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Morning everyone! Sounds like we are off to a good start. I just had my little packet of oatmeal and a bottle of water for breakfast...yeah me! I weigh in at 232. My over all goal for this trip is to get to my pre pregnancy weight of 190. A mini goal is to be 199 by July 7 for my 10 year high school reunion. I do need to start working out...I am hoping the weather will get nice and I will be able to go hill walking with my son in his stroller. We'll see. Gatta get to work. I will post more later!
Sarah
P.S. Let's go girls! HaHaHa! :cool1: :cheer2:

macraven
03-28-2006, 09:51 AM

anut4disney
03-28-2006, 09:56 AM
sorry, but i can't post a full body pic of me at this point. it will set me off mentally and start binging and purging again. if i see a pic of me like i am now, i will be so disgusted and purge after i eat every bit of food after a meal. i need more time to get away from that sickness and diet the real way. i hope you understand as i am still struggling. it is not easy . if you have ever been there, you would understand what i am saying.

i have sons. my 21 year old, birthday this month last week, is 5'10" and weighs 220 lbs. his waist size is a 38, another son is 5:9" and he weighs 175 and has a 32 inch waist. another is 6" 2" and weighs 145 with a 29 inch waist/too thin, and another is 5:11" 190 lbs and has a 34 inch waist.

when i compare myself to them, i think oh my goodness.........

We understand, I have never had that problem but I still have trouble acutally seeing a pictuer of myself this big. :grouphug:

AdventurerKat
03-28-2006, 10:04 AM
sorry, but i can't post a full body pic of me at this point. it will set me off mentally and start binging and purging again. if i see a pic of me like i am now, i will be so disgusted and purge after i eat every bit of food after a meal. i need more time to get away from that sickness and diet the real way. i hope you understand as i am still struggling. it is not easy . if you have ever been there, you would understand what i am saying.

i have sons. my 21 year old, birthday this month last week, is 5'10" and weighs 220 lbs. his waist size is a 38, another son is 5:9" and he weighs 175 and has a 32 inch waist. another is 6" 2" and weighs 145 with a 29 inch waist/too thin, and another is 5:11" 190 lbs and has a 34 inch waist.

when i compare myself to them, i think oh my goodness.........

Mac. Don't do anything that you think is going to cause you harm. No one has to post anything they don't want to.

I understand about your sons. I have to weigh a good 20 pounds or so over my husband. And he's 6'3".

mommaU4
03-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Well, first I want to say thank-you to Kat, Michelle, Sarah, Kim, Deena, mac, and Jenna and anyone else I missed, for your words of encouragement and from some of you the PMs. Wow. I wasn't expecting all that.

So I am going to try to do this. I hopped on the scale today and guess what?? I don't weigh 285 after all!! Nope. I weigh 286!!! :rolleyes: Whatever.

Okay here are my goals for now:
No food after 8 p.m. (I go to bed at 11:30)
Increase water intake
Increase fruits and veges
Cut back on portion sizes
Avoid sweets (I must go cold turkey on this. One cookie will trigger an urge to over-eat)
Weigh only ONE time per week
Try to lose something each week even if only half a pound
Exercise 3x weekly

My goal for the trip is to lose 35 pounds.

I am NOT posting a full length before pic yet. I think I have one somewhere and will post it at some point but not yet. I can't.

Okay here we go...... :cheer2:

mommaU4
03-28-2006, 10:26 AM
mac and kim please please be healthy. Don't do anything to hurt yourselves any more. :guilty: It makes me want to cry to read that. :sad1:

anut4disney
03-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Beth, it sounds like a great plan to me. At least losing a little every week is doing something. That is my biggest fear that I won't lose anything not even a pound.

SnowWhite33
03-28-2006, 10:52 AM
I just want to say to everyone way to go :cheer2: for even making the effort that it takes to do this. The first step is the hardest. I know.

Anyone who has trouble just drinking water-and giving up the sodas, you can do it. I went from regular cokes to all water-I just stopped cold turkey. It was hard, but within a week my cravings went away and now I always have a water next to me. I can't tell that I've lost any weight from it, but it makes me feel good to know that I'm trying. If anyone has access to a water called Aqua Cal try them, they are flavored and calcium fortified. They have a wonderful taste with 0 calories, fat, sugar, or carbs. It's the same as water, just with flavor. They are also calcium fortified.

Good luck to everyone, let's all be proud of what we are doing. :grouphug:

And just a little mushy something-thanks in advance to the support that I will need, my "eeyore" mood is very difficult at times, and I'm going to have to count on you gals a lot.

kelsco99
03-28-2006, 12:18 PM
I am joining this!

I am having salad for lunch!

I am drinking my water!

I am going to the gym after work!

I am going to tell my story when I have more time to post!

I am going to post my picture here and on the other board!

I am going to PM my weight to Kat! (264)

You didn't see that, did you?

Kelly

SnowWhite33
03-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I am joining this!

I am having salad for lunch!

I am drinking my water!

I am going to the gym after work!

I am going to tell my story when I have more time to post!

I am going to post my picture here and on the other board!

I am going to PM my weight to Kat! (264)

You didn't see that, did you?

Kelly

See what :rolleyes1

SnowWhite33
03-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Ok, this might sound a little corny, but I've heard this song a couple of times and to me it's inspirational, and kinda fits what I'm trying to do with my weight loss and new lifestyle.

It's called Unwritten by Natasha Benningfield.

Unwritten

I am unwritten
Can't read my mind
I'm undefined
I'm just beginning
The pen's in my hand
Ending unplanned
Staring at the balnk page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you cannot find
Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release you inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else can, no one else can
Speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live you life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

There's a little more, but that's the main idea.

Ok, laugh if you want, I like it and for whatever reason it makes sense to me. :confused3

mommaU4
03-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Beth, it sounds like a great plan to me. At least losing a little every week is doing something. That is my biggest fear that I won't lose anything not even a pound.
Well, I should have said that not only do I want to try to lose something each week, if I don't lose for whatever reasonI just want to maintain and not gain. The scale either needs to be staying the same or going down. No more creeping up, up, up.

You can do this. We all are in it together. I see that now. :)

JennaTX
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Hey ladies, it sounds like everyone is off to a great start today.

I sent Kat my weight already, I might as well take the plunge and let ya'll know too, it is 190.5. It was what I expected.

Today is not really starting off that good for me, I woke up with some kind of stomach bug, I can't keep anything down, not even water. At least I am not over eating I guess, lol.

Beth, your plan sounds great. Small changes can really add up! :goodvibes

I also have to stop the late night snacking and control my weekends.

I am so proud of everyone! Give yourself a pat on your back from me!

mommaU4
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Ok, this might sound a little corny, but I've heard this song a couple of times and to me it's inspirational, and kinda fits what I'm trying to do with my weight loss and new lifestyle.

It's called Unwritten by Natasha Benningfield.

Unwritten

I am unwritten
Can't read my mind
I'm undefined
I'm just beginning
The pen's in my hand
Ending unplanned
Staring at the balnk page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you cannot find
Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release you inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else can, no one else can
Speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live you life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

There's a little more, but that's the main idea.

Ok, laugh if you want, I like it and for whatever reason it makes sense to me. :confused3
No one will laugh. I think it's great that you shared that. In fact, I think we should all feel free to share any song, poem, story, whatever that inspires us or motivates us. You never know who else out there it might touch. And if nothing else it will do you good when you see it here.

I have a confession to make. When I first had my twins and the work seemed overwhelming at times I would sit on my bed and cry. One day as I was sitting there this other voice/thought came into my head like a drill sargeant saying get up and care for those babies and kids cause they need you and no one else is gonna come do it. It worked. And now whenever I have something I need to get done I think what would a drill sargeant say in this case and I take on that thought. Like a "just do it" kind of attitude.

Okay so maybe not all of you are hearing voices yet :rotfl2: but you know what I mean. Just suck it up and order yourself to put down that cookie or walk that extra block. Step outside of yourself for a minute and talk to yourself the way someone else would. Just not out loud.... :teeth: :thumbsup2

sahbushka
03-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey everyone...things are going well so far. I am just having my lunch break now (a lean pocket and an orange), I had a 100 calorie granola bar for a snack earlier and am on my 4th water bottle. The only thing that sucks about today is being at work! At least I have you guys! Everyone keep up the good work!
Sarah

SnowWhite33
03-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey everyone...things are going well so far. I am just having my lunch break now (a lean pocket and an orange), I had a 100 calorie granola bar for a snack earlier and am on my 4th water bottle. The only thing that sucks about today is being at work! At least I have you guys! Everyone keep up the good work!
Sarah
:thumbsup2 WTG!!!

I'm on my 3rd water, I'll have one after my workout at curves and then 1 with my dinner tonight-that's 16.9 x 5 or 84.5 oz of water :woohoo: I figure even at 10 - 8oz glasses, I'm over the daily requirement. If someone had told me a month ago that I would be drinking water the way I am(and enjoying it) I would have looked at them like they had 3 eyes!!

:cheer2:

macraven
03-28-2006, 06:01 PM

mommaU4
03-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Hope everyone's first day is going well. I did good on my water. Drink 8 glasses already. And did okay on the food too, up until a little while ago. I cannot fix food for my kids. I am so used to snacking on their food while I fix it and then finishing what's left of theirs (which is sometimes almost a whole plate full!!). And that's exactly what I did in addition to eating my own meal. :guilty: Ugh, such a stupid thing to do after doing so well all day. I am so mad at myself. :sad2: Oh well. Can't change things now. I will just have to try again tomorrow.

kelsco99
03-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Hope everyone's first day is going well. I did good on my water. Drink 8 glasses already. And did okay on the food too, up until a little while ago. I cannot fix food for my kids. I am so used to snacking on their food while I fix it and then finishing what's left of theirs (which is sometimes almost a whole plate full!!). And that's exactly what I did in addition to eating my own meal. :guilty: Ugh, such a stupid thing to do after doing so well all day. I am so mad at myself. :sad2: Oh well. Can't change things now. I will just have to try again tomorrow.

I know exactly what you mean. :hug: It is so easy to just do it and it is so rewarding in the moment but as soon as you are done, the guilty feelings start. You are on the right track by trying again tomorrow. Even better, you can start right now. Don't give in to any more cravings tonight just because dinner didn't go as planned. :sunny:

oh and Mac, good job on the cake - not opening it and putting it right into the freezer. :thumbsup2

I did really good all day - ate my salad and tuna for lunch...fruit as my snacks... it's dinnertime now and I didn't plan anything. I stopped in here first to get some motivation not to eat some easy quick convenient food for supper. I think it's working.... thanks Ladies :banana:

Kelly

AdventurerKat
03-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey girls. Good first day! Beth, its not easy to break old habits and it may take time. But I know you can do it! And if you did do that today, you did better the rest of the day than you do normally. Baby steps. :)

I am trying to resist the urge of the nantucket cookies in the cupboard. First order of business is to force DH to eat the cookies and the second order is to outlaw them from the house, at least right now. I'm having a really hard time with them being there.

If you have not PM-ed me your weight TODAY please do so asap. If you told it to me three days ago, that's not going to work. I need to know what it is today. :) Unless your name is Amanda, in which case I know you are not home.

Princess Michelle
03-28-2006, 09:14 PM
I am just getting caught up with all the posts from today. First thing I want to say is that I have no idea how hard it must be to overcome an eating disorder and I am so sorry for those of you who have had to and continue to deal with that struggle. I am praying for all of us who are going through this journey of trying to get healthy but for you guys who are facing something that is so much more than that I am going to be praying even harder.

It's hard for me to type at the moment, my body is revolting, wait...that didn't come out right... :lmao: What I meant to say is that my body isn't happy with me because of the working out that I've been making it do. I had to put my wrist brace on tonight because of the pain and it makes it hard to type. I can't reply individually like I would like to but I wanted to thank everyone for their encouragement and to say that I think everyone has made a good effort today. You know we have been saying one day at a time but I think even for some of us it might be better just to look at it one meal at a time. Get through one then move on to the next. If you made good choices two out of the three, hey, like someone else already said, you're doing better than you have been so don't feel so bad. At least you are making an effort.

I need to go get my gym bag packed for tomorrow and get some sleep. I'm gonna need some extra rest until my body gets used to this new routine. I feel so bad right now I just want to sleep for a week but I know I can't and I know I won't ever get used to it if I don't keep getting myself up in the morning and making myself do this. I had a good day. I think I might have eaten a little too much, I am not one for counting calories and all that jazz and I didn't really have anything "unhealthy" just felt like I ate a little more than I needed. Have to watch those portions. Sad thing is I feel like I ate too many vegetables! The horror! LOL

Have a good night ladies, you are doing great. Tomorrow is a new day, here's hoping it's a great one! :sunny:

2BigKIdz
03-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Good job everyone! We are on the right track!

I stopped by Chili's on the way into work tonight and picked up a guiltless chicken platter, only has 9 grams of fat for the whole dinner and I did not eat the rice so I guess that takes a little of it away. I did have part of a salad as well so that added some fat/calories but all in all feel it was a decent low fat meal. I exercised when I got up and have already had 51 oz of water (well 32 of it was unsweetened iced tea but that counts as water, right?) Hopefully can get all or more of the required 64 in by morning in between running to the bathroom :rotfl:

good luck tomorrow ladies!

SnowWhite33
03-28-2006, 10:35 PM
I did ok today until dinner, I made them spaghetti and had a little more than I should have. Just one helping, but I know that it's not good because of the carbs. I did go to curves and I did drink my water, so that's at least a little something.

Oh and I ate a snack size candy bar :guilty: I couldn't resist. Tomorrow will be better....

k_hase
03-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Great stuff today ladies!! Gym going, healthy eating, positive attitudes.

I ate pretty well, skipped lunch because of a meeting but ate it later. I should try that more often. I actually ate less later because my lunch was later and I wasn't as hungry. So today was yogurt and kashi cereal, an apple, a banana, two servings of honey wheat pretzels (one at lunch, one now), a lean cuisine, a ji-normous salad for dinner. Downsides-sweet potato fries with my salad and the bowl of kashi cereal when I got home from dinner. Also ran with my tuesday night group and did weights and core at the gym. Overall I ate an estimated 2200 calories, just about what I burned today. Even is good.

Now if I could just stop the snacking when I get home from dinner with the group!!

For those wondering, the fairly common calculation is that just to stay alive your body burns about 1200-1500 calories a day, then it also need calories to maintain what extra muscle or fat you have. I use 1500 as my base and then add what ever workouts I do to that to figure out how much I'm allowed to have in a day. I try to stay under or close to that number. So my workout today was about 750 calories but remember that I'm a long distance runner

:crazy:

k_hase
03-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Tammy, don't freak about the carbs. Carbs are energy. The calculations for weight loss or gain are simple: too many calories no matter what they are made of = gain, too few no matter what they are made of = loss.

You could eat nothing but pasta and lose weight if you didn't have enough calories. That said, simple carbs (white bread, sugar, potatoes, pasta) burn faster and you get hungry sooner, but carbs themselves are the same as all the other calories.

Marseeya
03-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Well, my first day is done. I made some good choices and some not-so-good choices. Tuesdays and Thursdays are particularly difficult because I'm in school during lunch time. I go with a friend who eats whatever she wants and we typically eat breakfast and lunch together.

Before I went to school, I had a bowl of Life cereal, then when I got to school I nearly bought a pepperoni roll, but got a banana instead. :thumbsup2 Victory #1! My friend wanted to go to Sbarro's for lunch, but instead I got a small green bean stir fry from a Chinese place. :thumbsup2

Snacked on a few pretzel nuggets at home.

Dinner was my not-so-good choice. DH was sick, so I made creamed chicken over biscuits. I would have been okay with just one, but I had two servings. Then for dessert I had TWO WW ice cream bars instead of one.

Today will be easier because I'm home all day.

macraven
03-29-2006, 07:02 AM

Princess Michelle
03-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Good Morning BEAUTIFUL Ladies! It's a brand new day! :sunny: Let's do our BEST to be good to ourselves today, we are worth it! ::yes::

I'm feeling better this morning. Still in some pain but that's just a fact of life that I have to deal with. I have a date with a treadmill and I don't want to keep it waiting so I'll check in with ya'll after work.

Have a wonderful day! :banana:

Oh, almost forgot! I'll try my best to get that picture done tonight. :wave2:

AdventurerKat
03-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Good morning girls. Last night was pretty good. I stayed away from the cookies. We did have pizza but I only had one slice of cheese and some salad, which had no dressing on it because they brought the wrong kind.

I hope everyone has a good day. :thumbsup2

sahbushka
03-29-2006, 09:09 AM
I had 2 baked chimichangas last night that I make from a ww recipe and had points for! They were delish and I didn't have to "go off" my diet! It's "that time" for me though so I am cranky and hungry and hurting, but it will go away soon.
Good luck today ladies,
Sarah

Marseeya
03-29-2006, 09:15 AM

WOW!!! That is an awesome site! I've been doing WW Online and I have to say that this one is as good, if not better. When my next payment is due, I'm cancelling WW and switching to this Spark.

I have a goal for my breakfasts. I'm one who can eat the same thing for breakfast every day and be happy. So, I'm going to try to eat a bowl of oatmeal and a hard boiled egg every day. A friend of mine was telling me that her dietician recommended it. I tried one of the Quaker Supreme microwavable packets and it was really good. It had around 180 calories, which is higher than just plain oatmeal, but by the time I add milk and brown sugar to my plain oatmeal, I've just doubled the calories anyway, so this stuff keeps me ahead of the game.

JennaTX
03-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Good moring ladies! Sounds like everyone is off to a good start today! I feel better today, so far I have been able to eat breakfast. A lowfat Breakfast Bar with Skim Milk (which is my normal fare). I don't think I am going to get to the Y to exercise today, being down and out yesterday, put me way behind. I am going to try and get caught up today and be ready to hit the treadmill on Thursday.

Hope everyone has a great day! :cheer2:

anut4disney
03-29-2006, 10:25 AM
WOW!!! That is an awesome site! I've been doing WW Online and I have to say that this one is as good, if not better. When my next payment is due, I'm cancelling WW and switching to this Spark.

I have a goal for my breakfasts. I'm one who can eat the same thing for breakfast every day and be happy. So, I'm going to try to eat a bowl of oatmeal and a hard boiled egg every day. A friend of mine was telling me that her dietician recommended it. I tried one of the Quaker Supreme microwavable packets and it was really good. It had around 180 calories, which is higher than just plain oatmeal, but by the time I add milk and brown sugar to my plain oatmeal, I've just doubled the calories anyway, so this stuff keeps me ahead of the game.

I'm glad that you like it. I love how you can keep track of everything, specially what you have eaten during the day and it tracks day by day.

kelsco99
03-29-2006, 12:13 PM
i ate the cake :sad2:

and I hope you are ok with this and are not beating yourself up over it. Just make a commtment with yourself to not buy anymore.

When the cravings come on, you will either have to go out and buy the cake (and hopefully change your mind before you get there) or you can come to here for some motivation and idle but distracting chit chat.

Great job everyone on your first day and a good start to the second day!

Kelly

AdventurerKat
03-29-2006, 01:42 PM
If there is anyone who is participating in the Ladies Only WISH who did not pm me your weight yesterday, can you please do that today so I can get you into my spreadsheet. Thanks!

mommaU4
03-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Well, it's day two. Yippee. :smooth:

I had fruit for breakfast, and a bowl of soup for lunch. But it was not healthy soup. It was potato cheese. :rolleyes: Not sure what's for dinner. Maybe mac will send me any left over cake. :teeth:

Sorry. Maybe no one should read my posts. In the beginning you can expect them to be very nasty and sarcastic. I don't do "happy" when I am trying desperately to change years of bad habits.

I need to get over my "all or nothing" attitude. Like last night I was upset because I ate way too much of the kids food in addition to my own. So instead of stopping, I continued to empty out the fridge right into my mouth!!

I used to think "well, I already blew it, might as well go for broke!" But I need to change that to "ok, you messed up, get back on track right now." Knowing I need to do it and actually doing it though, are two different things.

Well, good luck to all. :bounce:

macraven
03-29-2006, 02:27 PM

SnowWhite33
03-29-2006, 02:49 PM

I had fruit for breakfast, and a bowl of soup for lunch. But it was not healthy soup. It was potato cheese. :rolleyes: Not sure what's for dinner. Maybe mac will send me any left over cake. :teeth:

Sorry. Maybe no one should read my posts. In the beginning you can expect them to be very nasty and sarcastic. I don't do "happy" when I am trying desperately to change years of bad habits.

I need to get over my "all or nothing" attitude. Like last night I was upset because I ate way too much of the kids food in addition to my own. So instead of stopping, I continued to empty out the fridge right into my mouth!!

I used to think "well, I already blew it, might as well go for broke!" But I need to change that to "ok, you messed up, get back on track right now." Knowing I need to do it and actually doing it though, are two different things.

:hug: It will be ok. For dinner find a healthy recipe. I'm driving my family nutty with the healthy stuff, but I'm just not going to allow any more bad junk in the house. Hang in there!!

http://www.p-rposters.com/images/0056mpl.jpg

Marseeya
03-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Beth, check out that SparkPeople site! It's got some good motivational tips, plus it has you go through a two week period where you're just making small changes that you choose for yourself.

Don't beat yourself up. We're all in this together.

JennaTX
03-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Beth, I am the same way, it is hard to not eat off your kids plates, or not cook mac and cheese, that they like and I like too.

I am being a little more relaxed with myself during dinner. This is a meal that we all eat together and try to enjoy, I don't want it to become stressful. It is easy for me to control my breakfast and lunch. I figure whatever I cook at home still has to be better than Taco Bell/McDonald's. So I am eating what I want for dinner and just controlling my portions, but I am adding fruit to every meal, and adding 2 vegetables to dinner. So even if I eat a small serving of mac and cheese, I am also having 2 veggies and a fruit.

sahbushka
03-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a good plan JennaTX! I am just feeling so crampy today that even water is making me not feel good in my tummy! Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow! I hope all of you are having a good day and doing healthy things for yourselves!
Sarah

Princess Michelle
03-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi ladies! I hope everyone is having a good day.

I'm feeling so much better now than I was last night and even this morning. My body is starting to adjust now so hopefully it will just get better from here.

I had a good workout this morning. 45 minutes on the treadmill, only held on for a few seconds every now and then to check my heart rate. I'm super proud of that. I've been pushing myself this week and it's good for me. I am doing something I never let myself believe I was capable of before. When Kim mentioned in another post that holding makes your workout less effective I made up my mind that I was going to try my best to not hold on anymore and I'm so happy that I've been able to accomplish that. Now I'll work on adding speed and more incline. That won't be so easy to accomplish but I'll get there.

I did good with eating today. I did eat at work tonight when I got off. I had a mad craving for a pulled pork sandwich and onion rings so that's what I had. I'll be good for a few weeks now as far as that goes. If I crave something I usually find it's better just to work it in, have it and then I won't need it again for awhile. My breakfast and snack/lunch were pretty light so I don't think it was all that bad. In the scope of the whole week it will be fine so long as I don't have any other meals that are super fattening and I don't feel like I will.

I'm still really tired though. I will do my picture this weekend when I don't have to work and have more time to be on the computer.

I'll see you all tomorrow! :wave:

Marseeya
03-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Today was only so-so for me. Breakfast was oatmeal and hard boiled egg. Lunch was a hamburger happy meal from McDonald's -- I substituted the apple dippers for the fries and it was a suprisingly low-cal meal! :thumbsup2 Snacked on some WW ice cream bars and pretzel nuggets.

I'm not sure what's for dinner.

Also, I went to the gym today. Did 20 minutes on treadmill, 10 minutes on bike (I like to get 30 min total, but I can't do it all on the treadmill because of my feet). Did 30 minutes on nautilus machines.

sahbushka
03-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Today was only so-so for me. Breakfast was oatmeal and hard boiled egg. Lunch was a hamburger happy meal from McDonald's -- I substituted the apple dippers for the fries and it was a suprisingly low-cal meal! :thumbsup2 Snacked on some WW ice cream bars and pretzel nuggets.

I'm not sure what's for dinner.

Also, I went to the gym today. Did 20 minutes on treadmill, 10 minutes on bike (I like to get 30 min total, but I can't do it all on the treadmill because of my feet). Did 30 minutes on nautilus machines.
Sounds like you did really well! Good food choices, especially substituting the apple! And way to get in your excersize...that's something I really need to start thinking about!
SArah

Alicnwondrln
03-29-2006, 07:09 PM
today I did
oatmeal for breakfast good for the heart
an smart ones meal for lunch
plain chicken breast and a small serving of corn for dinner
for dessert 1 weight watchers ice cream sandwhich
i lost 7 pounds last week

sahbushka
03-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Way to go! That is awesome! Keep up the great work. Which WW meal did you have? I really enjoy the Chicken Enchilada Suiza!
Sarah

kelsco99
03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Sounds like everyone is doing great - a few setbacks but that is to be expected! I've had a few myself.

Today this is what I ate... please tell me if this sounds like a lot cause I am really not sure...

Breakfast
2 cheese slices on 2 pieces of bread

Snack
Granola Bar

Lunch
1 and 1/2 tuna sandwichs made with light mayo
banana
plain salad with 1000 Island dressing

Supper
spaghetti and meatsauce
1 piece of bread
Glass of milk

Snack
Diet Fudge Bar

I am heading out to the gym now. My friend just called and we are meeting up so I won't be able to read the replies till I get back around 10ish.

Good Luck everyone!

Kelly

k_hase
03-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Michelle- Awesome job on the treadmill. Not hanging on really forces your muscles to work more to balance you, its good for your core and burns more calories.

Kelly- 7 pounds!! you might be the girl to beat in this!

Kel-your food looks good to me

Beth-it doesn't happen all in one day, if we fall off the horse we have to get back on! Did you read the article on sparkpeople.com about self-efficacy? I thought of you as I read it. Its about knowing that you can do something, kind of like when you decided to stop crying and go out to your kids. If you did that, you can do this too.

Everyone else-keep going!!

I went to the sparkpeople.com site. I like it. Its a little more complicated than fitday.com which I've used in the past, but much more motivating!

My food list is long-kashi and nonfat milk, breyers nonfat yogurt, oatmeal and a banana mid morning, cup of left over pasta with tom. and eggplant, a granola bar, 4 hard candies off a co-workers desk, a handful of almonds while making dinner, a big mixed green salad with feta, dried cranberries, almonds and balsamic vinagrette with a chicken breast (4 oz). I tried a new recipe for the chicken tonight, with a lime sauce. Very tasty. For two breasts it was about 1/2 cup of ch broth, 1.5 tsp of brown sugar, 1 tsp of dijon mustard, 1 tblspn of lime juice, saute in the chicken pan after cooking the chicken, add a little corn starch and water to thicken and toss the chicken in the sauce. Good stuff!!

I snacked after dinner too, those Rold GOld HOney Wheat pretzels are so tasty, I had a serving and a half.

According to sparkpeople.com and if I measured right (I measure most food) I'm at 1700 cal today. And I worked out too. I'll most likely eat some light popcorn while watching lost. Hopefully I stop there. This is my danger zone, the TV eating...

Princess Michelle
03-29-2006, 10:05 PM
while watching lost

I watch Lost too, I'm addicted to it! It was great tonight, always keeps me guessing! Already looking forward to next week. :teeth:

Sorry to go off topic, I just love that show!

JennaTX
03-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi ladies! I hope everyone is having a good day.

I'm feeling so much better now than I was last night and even this morning. My body is starting to adjust now so hopefully it will just get better from here.

I had a good workout this morning. 45 minutes on the treadmill, only held on for a few seconds every now and then to check my heart rate. I'm super proud of that. I've been pushing myself this week and it's good for me. I am doing something I never let myself believe I was capable of before. When Kim mentioned in another post that holding makes your workout less effective I made up my mind that I was going to try my best to not hold on anymore and I'm so happy that I've been able to accomplish that. Now I'll work on adding speed and more incline. That won't be so easy to accomplish but I'll get there.

Way to go on the treadmill that is so fantastic! :banana:

JennaTX
03-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I did pretty good today, except no exercise. :guilty:

Eating wise, low fat granola bar for breakfast, sandwich (low fat bread, low fat cheese, mustard and turkey breast) with grapes and those Minute Maid Lights, I feel like I am drinking a soda, since they are in a can. Dinner, small portion of spaghetti with large ceasar salad and apples. No snacking at all today and tons of apples.

I just need to kick the exercising into gear!

2BigKIdz
03-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Some small victories for me-

1. have not had a coke since Monday! drinking unsweetened tea with meal instead
2. exercising every day
3. passed by the cinammon rolls this morning and had cereal instead!
4. not eating before going to bed

For dinner last night I had a pork tenderloin ke-bob and a sirloin ke-bob with basmati rice and two small slices of grilled flat bread. Not sure how fattening they are but they are grilled and probably about 3 ozs of meat on each skewer. Probably should have had just one ke-bob but that just didn't seem like much :teeth: . I only eat one big meal a day during the week anyway, I have some fruit for a snack and a cereal/fruit bar and then will have some cereal for breakfast before I leave work this morning.

Princess Michelle
03-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Good Morning Girls! :sunny:

Thank you Kim and Jenna for the encouraging words. :hug:

2BigKIdz ~ Congratulations on the victories, your dinner sounds soooo good! It made me want to go eat at Marakesh! LOL

I made a new ticker this morning for the competition. I can't wait to see that scale start sliding down! I found my measuring tape so I'm going to take my measurements this weekend.

I'm just finishing up breakfast, two links of sausage and a naval orange. I will have a fat free yogurt when I get out of the gym, then lunch today is a small banana and a wrap (whole wheat tortilla, mayo, lettuce, red onion, black olives, chicken breast, roasted red peppers and shredded Italian cheese), not sure about dinner yet. Probably will be a baked/seasoned chicken breast with a salad and parmesan butter rice with peas & carrots.

Have to get going now. I got to the gym a little later than usual yesterday and all the hogs were there. People who think they have a right to hog equipment and dressing rooms like it's their own personal gym. I hate that! So I have to get going so I can beat them there. LOL

Have a great day ladies, you're in my prayers today! :grouphug:

k_hase
03-30-2006, 07:53 AM
After I posted it didn't go so well. I had the popcorn. That was fine. But an hour later I wanted more. I waited and had some water, to see if I was actually hungry. I think I was. I ate a granola bar. And then more pretzels. I ate half the bag of pretzels. I know its just pretzels, but I still ate a lot of them while watching TV. I even made my challenge on sparkpeople that I wouldn't eat while watching TV. I failed on the first day!!!

Okay, today will be better, and even yesterday wasn't so bad, I went about 200 calories over what I would consider the limit for yesterday, but I've got a hard track workout today, so I can balance it out.

Have a good day ladies.

macraven
03-30-2006, 08:02 AM

kelsco99
03-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Good Morning Wishers! Today is going to be a great day! :sunny:

I will be stuck at work from 9am to 8pm and these are the days that I usually break down and do fast food. And to boot, I forgot to eat breakfast before I left the house this morning. I have already dipped into my lunch so I hope that I have enough food to keep me going so I don't break down and buy the crappy fried food that our cafeteria sells. I am going to do my but I might need your support today... I am going to make a commitment right now to come here first before I make any food choices beyond what I brought.

Good Luck everyone!

Kelly

Marseeya
03-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Kelly, I did McDonald's yesterday and bought a kid's meal! It ended up being much more filling than I thought it would and probably around 350 calories all together. Not bad at all for fast food.

Anyway, you might want to check out kids meals at the fast food places! It's a thought.

k_hase
03-30-2006, 09:49 AM
and Burger King has great grilled chicken salad that is 190 calories without the dressing or croutons. Shaved parm, hot chicken, mixed greens its awesome.

Also, go to www.hungry-girl.com, great tips and food facts and funny too!

Princess Michelle
03-30-2006, 06:10 PM
then late last night, i realized, i promised if beth stayed on the program i would not purge...........yikes...........i ate and ate and had to live with it.

i can do it. i can do anything i set my mind to.
and you can too !!

Yes you can and you proved it by not purging. That must have been hard for you but you did it. I'm really proud of you. Just keep trying, that is the best you can do. We all believe in you and know that you can do it! ::yes::

Marseeya
03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
How is everyone doing today?

I've had the munchies. Got. To. STOP!

Princess Michelle
03-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi Marseeya :wave2:

Doing good here. I went to the gym this morning and did 40 minutes of lower body training and abs, also 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Ate really well, just got done with dinner, which ended up being a seasoned/baked chicken thigh, parmesan butter rice and a caesar salad. It was super yummy. I'm pretty full so hopefully that will be it for tonight.

I hate it when I have the munchies, good luck saying no to them and if you give in munch on something healthy! :rolleyes1

kelsco99
03-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Kelly, I did McDonald's yesterday and bought a kid's meal! It ended up being much more filling than I thought it would and probably around 350 calories all together. Not bad at all for fast food.

Anyway, you might want to check out kids meals at the fast food places! It's a thought.

Thanks Marseeya, I read earlier how you subsituted the fries for apples... good thinking on your part.

I did end up going out but only to subway and I have 6" ham sub loaded with veggies.

I ate really light today and then I went to the gym. I was starving when I got home around 10 so I made nacho chips with salsa and cheese...these are my fave! It was kinda bad though cause I didn't have the baked nacho chips... I will definitely be picking some of those up.

This has been very motivating for me ...glad I joined this crew. Before this I was going to the gym regularly but using it as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted and I was continuing the gain weight. Now with my lower cal eating and excercise, the lbs should start melting off.

Thanks Ladies!
Kelly

2BigKIdz
03-31-2006, 06:14 AM
:cheer2: It's Friday!!! :cheer2:

Hopefully that won't mean disaster to our diets! I know the weekends are going to be a lot more difficult for me than the work week, especially the weekends my husband is off (this weekend) because when he gets cheesecake or ice cream I know I am going to want it too!!! He was dieting awhile back and lost about 20lbs but then he got a cold and quit, maybe he will go back on his diet and that will help me out. I'm not buying ice cream and cookies or cakes anymore so if he wants that kind of stuff he'll have to go to the store himself!

I feel pretty good about myself this week. I have exercised every day and I have not had a coke since Monday and really haven't missed them. I'm not drinking as much water every day as I should, will have to work on that. I did have a steak and cheese sub for dinner last night but had a small salad with it instead of fries or onion rings. Need to do better with lower fat dinners too.

Good luck this weekend ladies! We've almost made it a week! :woohoo:

2BigKIdz
03-31-2006, 06:16 AM
2BigKIdz ~ Congratulations on the victories, your dinner sounds soooo good! It made me want to go eat at Marakesh! LOL

We have a place here called Sticks and all they serve are ke-bobs and they are sooo good! I don't know where Marakesh is, somewhere at WDW?

Princess Michelle
03-31-2006, 07:39 AM
2BigKIdz ~ Yes, Marakesh is the sit-down restaurant in the Morocco pavilion at EPCOT. They have such good food and your dinner made my mouth water for it!

I agree with you about the weekend, it is usually my weak point because my schedule isn't the same, nothing is planned out for me. During the week I know what I have to do but on the weekend it's pretty much a free for all. I should be home a good portion of the time though so I just have to not be lazy and take the time to make nutritious meals for myself like I do during the week and not just grab a bologna sandwich because it's easy. I also need to try and be active and not just lay around all day. I do have a couple of places to go but for the most part on the weekends if I'm not out somewhere my favorite pastime is napping. I do want to take my measurements and get a photo up on here so that may help keep me motivated for awhile.

So today is my last day at the gym for this week and I'm super happy about that. LOL I'm proud of myself for making it through getting up early and really pushing my workouts, not just doing the bare minimum. I feel confident that I will get up Monday morning and start all over again. I may even do something crazy this weekend like go for a bike ride or something!

I'm having my usual breakfast of 2 sausage links and a naval orange. Snack after the gym will be a fat-free yogurt like usual. Lunch will be some turkey breast, colby cheese, mayo rollups and red bell pepper strips. I'm not sure about dinner at the moment. I need to think of something before I leave the house though because if I don't have something planned that's when I have a tendancy to not eat good. I may just have the leftovers from last night, that sounds good enough right now, at least it's a plan. Makes me remember that old saying, "We don't plan to fail, we only fail to plan".

I guess that's it for me this morning. I hope all of you ladies have an awesome day! Be good to yourselves! :sunny:

2BigKIdz
03-31-2006, 09:35 AM
2BigKIdz ~ Yes, Marakesh is the sit-down restaurant in the Morocco pavilion at EPCOT. They have such good food and your dinner made my mouth water for it!

I agree with you about the weekend, it is usually my weak point because my schedule isn't the same, nothing is planned out for me. During the week I know what I have to do but on the weekend it's pretty much a free for all. I should be home a good portion of the time though so I just have to not be lazy and take the time to make nutritious meals for myself like I do during the week and not just grab a bologna sandwich because it's easy. I also need to try and be active and not just lay around all day. I do have a couple of places to go but for the most part on the weekends if I'm not out somewhere my favorite pastime is napping. I do want to take my measurements and get a photo up on here so that may help keep me motivated for awhile.

So today is my last day at the gym for this week and I'm super happy about that. LOL I'm proud of myself for making it through getting up early and really pushing my workouts, not just doing the bare minimum. I feel confident that I will get up Monday morning and start all over again. I may even do something crazy this weekend like go for a bike ride or something!

I'm having my usual breakfast of 2 sausage links and a naval orange. Snack after the gym will be a fat-free yogurt like usual. Lunch will be some turkey breast, colby cheese, mayo rollups and red bell pepper strips. I'm not sure about dinner at the moment. I need to think of something before I leave the house though because if I don't have something planned that's when I have a tendancy to not eat good. I may just have the leftovers from last night, that sounds good enough right now, at least it's a plan. Makes me remember that old saying, "We don't plan to fail, we only fail to plan".

I guess that's it for me this morning. I hope all of you ladies have an awesome day! Be good to yourselves! :sunny:

I nap A LOT on weekends too!!!! Last Sunday I did play paintball most of the day with my husband, not a lot of exercise but atleast I was up moving around.

Your turkey wrap sounds good (except the mayo).

SnowWhite33
03-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Hello ladies, it sounds like everyone is doing good :thumbsup2

Ok I have what might be a really dumb ?

I have been going to curves now for 2.5 weeks, a total of 10 workouts so far. I'm eating right, drinking my water, not drinking cokes, I've only cheated once or twice (once was a burrito, the other were snack size candy bars :rolleyes: ). I know this won't happen over night. But why the heck am I losing and gaining the same 2 or 3 lbs from day to day? Also, and this is the dumb part-I think I see a difference on me in places (my hips mainly), but the weight is the same, why? I had a co-worker tell me today that she could see a difference-but the scale isn't telling the same story.

I shouldn't weigh every day, but it's hard not to. And I'm sorry for sounding so dumb-I've never tried a diet or excercise so I'm really out in left field about how some of this works.

Marseeya
03-31-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm having a hard time today. I'm just wanting to snack and binge. A little while ago I had a craving for bacon for some reason and it depressed me to think that I shouldn't have any.

I got to thinking about it and realized how I've never really deprived myself of anything I wanted to eat! When I was growing up, we could have whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted even if it meant mom and dad going to the store to get it. DH and I are the same way to a lesser extent.

I've just got to change this way of thinking and understand that it's okay to crave something, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to have it. It's just hard.

Yeah yeah yeah. Do I hear tiny little violins playing in the background? :charac2:

sahbushka
03-31-2006, 02:46 PM
I can deffinitely understand how you feel! I have been entering book info on cooking books today....baking books more specifically and if that doesn't get a person to want to eat cookies, I don't know what does! However, I know that I am more important than that craving and that I will like myself a lot better in the long run if I DO NOT give in to that craving. I am chugging water and planning a great yummy low calorie meal for dinner...something I can look forward to! Good luck! You can do this!
SArah

JennaTX
03-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Good afternoon ladies! I have been pretty good since Tuesday, I have not really cheated at all. Well one night, I did have some reduced fat cheese nips, but I just put a handful on a napkin and did not go back for more, which isn't too bad because usually I grab the box.

I have not exercised yet this week. That has got to change next week, it must become my priority.

I know that I will cheat tonight, it is Pizza night. But I am just going to eat the thin crust cheese pizza with the kids from Pizza Hut and add a salad with it.

Saturday and Sunday are hard for me, we usually eat out a couple of times, so I am going to have to use my willpower!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Princess Michelle
04-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Good afternoon ladies! :sunny:

The weekend is here and I know it's a rough patch in the week for many of us so I just wanted to tell you all to hang in there. We are capable of making good choices and we don't want our hard work from this week to be ruined in 2 days. I think knowing the scales will be waiting for me Tuesday is going to keep me on track. I used to weigh in on Friday so that if I was "bad" on the weekend I still had a whole week to make up for it. I realize now that rational was warped because it kept me losing the same few pounds over and over again. Knowing that I have to weigh in Tuesday and any over indulgence on the weekend is going to show up will keep me going today and tomorrow.

I took my measurements this morning and it was very depressing. I'm only going to take them once a month so I'm looking forward to May 1st so I can see how much they've gone down by then.

I slept late this morning so I didn't have breakfast but I'm trying to get my water in. I have no problem drinking it during the week but on the weekends between running around and napping I just don't get as much in as I need to most of the time. So I've already had 2 glasses this morning and I packed a bottle of water to take with me too. My boyfriend needs a haircut so I'm going to go over to his place and do that for him and then I have to go to the laundry mat. That's one place I generally do have a soda, it makes me feel better because the laundry mat sucks. I am going to have my bottle of water today though. I had a wrap sandwich for lunch, I will probably have a snack or another small meal later this afternoon and dinner is already planned so I think today will be a success.

I hope you all have a great weekend! :sunny:

macraven
04-02-2006, 01:59 AM

2BigKIdz
04-02-2006, 04:45 AM
Hello ladies, it sounds like everyone is doing good :thumbsup2

Ok I have what might be a really dumb ?

I have been going to curves now for 2.5 weeks, a total of 10 workouts so far. I'm eating right, drinking my water, not drinking cokes, I've only cheated once or twice (once was a burrito, the other were snack size candy bars :rolleyes: ). I know this won't happen over night. But why the heck am I losing and gaining the same 2 or 3 lbs from day to day? Also, and this is the dumb part-I think I see a difference on me in places (my hips mainly), but the weight is the same, why? I had a co-worker tell me today that she could see a difference-but the scale isn't telling the same story.

I shouldn't weigh every day, but it's hard not to. And I'm sorry for sounding so dumb-I've never tried a diet or excercise so I'm really out in left field about how some of this works.

One reason is that muscle weighs more than fat, since you are exercising and building your muscles, you are losing fat (and inches) just the weight doesn't correspond to the loss of the fat because the muscle weight is being added. (hope this makes sense, I have a hard time explaining what I mean)

I know what you mean about weighing everyday, so far I have been good and avoided the scale since my initial weigh in on Tuesday am.

2BigKIdz
04-02-2006, 04:52 AM
i will be missing the curves all week as i have to go take care of my mom and dad. he got released from the hospital and i am needed at home by them.

Mac-Hope your mom and dad are doing okay. :grouphug:

They say confession is good for the soul or something right??? Well I was really, really bad Saturday. My husband is such a bad influence. We went to Pizza Hut for lunch, not too bad, but later in the evening we went to Cold Stone Creamery and I had a big old waffle cone filled with Mud Pie Mojo, and it was delicious!!! Seriously, I don't feel guilty about it. I'm not dieting, I am changing my eating for life so if I can't treat myself every once in awhile where's the fun in that? I have been good all week with exercising and cutting out all other junk so I'm okay with having eaten the ice cream. My husband is only off every other weekend so if I have a treat once every 2 weeks I think that's okay for me (I might change my mind though once I get on the scale :cool1: )

I'm going to play paintball again today so that's another step in the right direction, not sleeping the day away!!!

Princess Michelle
04-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Mac, hang in there honey, I hope your dad and mom will be alright. Don't let this setback get you down too much. :hug:

I had a rough day yesterday. I had so much determination when I got up and once I got to the laundromat it just kind of went out the window. I had a wrap sandwich for lunch before I left the house, took a bottle of water with me and everything. I didn't have any soda but instead I had a snack size bag of buffalo wing potato chips and a hershey bar with almonds! :rolleyes1 Afterwards I thought this is okay, I'll just watch it for the rest of the day. Came home and had a bologna/cheese sandwich. Later that night I had a pizza lunchables thing and a HUGE cheeseburger. I did get my water in so I am happy about that, just way too much fat for one day. I don't even have to count the numbers to know that. Today is another day though.

I'm having grapes and a banana for breakfast. Not sure what lunch will be after church. Will stick to my dinner plan tonight. Also have more laundry to do that I'll hang on the clothesline to get some activity in my day. Have to put laundry away too but I know I am going to have my Nap today! LOL I have to work 6 days next week so if I don't nap now it's not going to happen next week.

Have to go get ready for church now, I hope you ladies have a wonderful day! :sunny: