PDA

View Full Version : what car rental agencies will pick you up from the port?

princessh
03-16-2006, 12:43 PM
The last time we sailed we used a town car service and went to WDW. This time we might spend a few days at WDW, but also see some other sites in the area. I tried to do a search, but the feature is not working. I am not really keen about the whole rental thing, but I think it might be our best option. We are also possibly considering just leaving the car at the Raddison. Does anyone know if there is a fee to leave it. Would it be cheaper to just rent it for the day we arrive and take the shuttle to the port and then get another rental after we disembark? Any suggestions would be appreicated!

yogibigdog
03-16-2006, 01:00 PM
We used Budget last time. We walked off the ship and within a few minutes a van came and we were off. It was very easy and it is only a couple of minutes away.

MICKEY'S DREAMERS
03-16-2006, 02:20 PM
As far as I know there is no fee if you leave your car at Radisson.
We always rent Avis - they pick up you at port as well.
Maybe :confused3 it would be cheaper to have two separate rentals.
Look around for discount codes for Avis !!! you can save up to 20% !!!

Have a nice trip !!! :banana:

pppiglet
03-16-2006, 05:35 PM
I think we will be taking Budget from MCO to the Budget office by the port. Then shuttle to port and after the cruise we will take the shuttle to the budget office and get a new rental to go to WDW. We are staying a few days there and I am wondering if we should park the car for those days and take it to the airport or drop it off at a budget office at WDW somewhere and then get another rental when ready to go back to MCO. We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge and I don't know if they charge you to park a car. (besides what Budget would charge for those 3 extra days.

Anyone have suggestions?

kstelzner
03-16-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm extensively researching this topic myself. We are staying at the Poly for 3 days before our cruise. So we will take the Disney Magical Express from the airport to the Poly... provided by Disney FREE to people staying at resort hotels. Then we'll be renting a car the morning of the cruise.

There's BUDGET, with a location at the Doubletree Hotel at Downtown Disney, and they are closest to the port with a free shuttle to the port and they have an onsite location at the airpot too (for dropoff after the cruise). Price: still trying to find a cheaper rate, especially on the return portion... $43 (plus we have to add a carseat option for our DD) and this is with all the coupons/discount codes listed on www.mousesavers.com. I think they know a majority of people rent from them because of their proximity to the port.

Next is AVIS. They have a pickup location at the Hilton Hotel in WDW adjacent to Downtown Disney. They have a dropoff location near the port, further away than Budget, but the shuttle is complimentary to the port. Price: competitive at around $37,$38.

Finally, is HERTZ. Not sure where they are within WDW, but they are out due to price... cheapest with AAA was $50.

NATIONAL is out because the dropoff location is at Cocoa Beach with no shuttle service to the port, though they had a nice pickup location at the Car Care Center outside the Magic Kingdom and one at the Dolphin Hotel.

And one other note (for any Disney executives that may be reading this.... ya right!): IF ALAMO IS THE "OFFICIAL" RENTAL CAR COMPANY FOR DISNEY, THEN WHY THE HECK IS THERE NO LOCATION NEXT TO THE DISNEY CRUISE TERMINAL/PORT!!! DUH! They missed the boat on that one!

This was great for me to get all this visually down in one place.... I had this info all in my head and it was too overwhelming to make any sense of it. Now I think I can make an informed decision to book.

prov3v56
03-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Does anyone know the name of the Budget office that is closest to the port?

Thanks!

pppiglet
03-16-2006, 09:07 PM
wow...three of us from CA all on the same thread! Are you going crazy trying to figure out flights too? We are still so far out, but since I haven't flown or been to Florida, I have to plan waaaaaay ahead to feel comfortable about going. Where are you flying out of and who are you using?

prov3v56
03-16-2006, 10:24 PM
wow...three of us from CA all on the same thread! Are you going crazy trying to figure out flights too? We are still so far out, but since I haven't flown or been to Florida, I have to plan waaaaaay ahead to feel comfortable about going. Where are you flying out of and who are you using?

We are taking a RCCL cruise in April and flying out of LAX into MCO on Southwest. We got lucky and found $99 each way.

We are going to WDW in June and are flying ONT into MCO on AA. We found our flights for around $300rt.

In April we are renting a car to get from the airport to the cruise terminal each way as it was less expensive for us (4 adults) than paying for transfers. We have cars resevered through budget right now but I was looking around to see what other deals might be out there.

disneylandfamily
03-16-2006, 10:59 PM
The pick up location at WDW is the Doubletree Hotel. The location code is M03. The drop off location is in Cape Canaveral. The location code is CC5. I agree, check mousesavers.com for coupon prices. We booked a full size car for about $50.00 each way. Budget is close to the port. We have used them before. Good luck. Oh by the way, I'm from California also. We are flying in a week ahead and staying at WDW. We are using miles on Delta.
Disneyland Family

D-Daddy
03-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know the name of the Budget office that is closest to the port?If you are trying to look it up on their on-line reservation page, it is in "Cape Canaveral" and I think it has the Budget location code of "CC5".

I thought the Cape Canaveral Budget office was great in getting us quicky from the ship to their location, getting us in our car, and getting us out of there. They have super busy times (when boats get back into port), but they handled it well.

-Jeff

pppiglet
03-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Prov356....sounds like you got great deals! Hope I get some too. Thanks for the information as I have no idea what I'm doing yet when it comes to airfare and flying!

texasthree
03-16-2006, 11:35 PM
If we are staying at CBR, is there a shuttel that can take me to the budget office at the doubletree?

princessh
03-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I am knoe off to see what kid of rates I can get!

kidzluvwdw
03-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Bump - trying to figure this out myself - especially how to get from POFQ to the car care center. I appreciate all the help.

kstelzner
03-17-2006, 05:46 PM
I was just going to "wing it" as far as getting to the Budget location at the Doubletree. I figure the hotel will either have a shuttle to Downtown Disney of some sort or I'd send DH the night before to pick up the car via Monorail to Epcot and then get on one of the boat taxis.... not sure if I even have that right. I'm so new to this WDW thing... I'm used to Disneyland where everything is cramed into one city block! Can anyone tell me the best way to the Doubletree from the Poly?

As far as flights, we booked last August with our FF miles on AA. We got lousy times, but they'll do since there was no out of pocket expense for that!