PDA

View Full Version : New pool heat policy? ***update see post 549 ****

Pages : [1] 2 3

mrsminniemouse
03-13-2006, 01:29 PM
We just got home from 14 nights in a one bed at SSR. We were in the Springs section and had a great time on the whole. We struggled with the AC in the room though. During the night we would wake up feeling awful as it was so stuffy in the room, totally airless. I think it was because the AC cut off in the night. We tried to override the AC controls as I had read here but it did not seem to help. We live in England and are not used to AC but we have never encountered this problem before, we were glad to get home and sleep in a room with an open window! We kept waking up feeling hungover - woolly head, dry mouth...yuck.

The pool was the really annoying issue for us. DD2.5 loves to swim and being pregnant I was looking forward to relaxing in the pool. However, the main pool was freezing cold. I could not bear to get in. DD would cry and shiver as she got in but wanted to get in so badly she would suffer it. Of course, you got used to it after a while but it was not pleasant. The pool had lots of people sitting around it but not getting in. You could actually watch people dip their toes in the zero entry part, pull a face, shake their heads and walk away. I heard several mums say to their kids they wouldn't get in with them as it was too cold.

I complained to two lifeguards who were vague about it and said it was heated. A front desk CM and another guest told me WDW have a new policy, across property that pools are now heated to a lower temp than the old 82 degrees ( or whatever it was) as a cost cutting measure. I have no idea if this is true but it was very cold. In the past I have swum in WDW resort pools in December and found it ok. This was horrible. Anyone know anything about this? Sorry if I am repeating another thread, haven't had time to catch up yet.

I loved SSR last time we visited (Sept 04) but these issues (AC and pool heat) took the shine off a bit this time. I was so disappointed with the pool situation, it is freezing here in England and I so wanted to splash about in the pool but I just could not face it. Please dont think I am whingeing, lots and lots of people were complaining about this. Maybe in the summer it wont matter so much but in Feb you need a good level of pool heat. I understand it is good for the environment and cost saving to lower the heat, but to make it unbearably cold seems unacceptable. I feel quite annoyed and cheated about it.

Interested to hear other peoples experiences and views,
Mandy :sunny:

Happy Birthday Cat
03-13-2006, 02:29 PM
In February the pool temperature at the BWV quiet pool was noticeably cooler than it had ever had been in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if they had uniformly changed the temperatures.

HBC

jade1
03-13-2006, 02:33 PM
I hope not, that was one of the great things about WDW.

mickeywho?
03-13-2006, 02:36 PM
We were at WL in Feb - and so looking forward to a warm pool. There was no way the temp was over 80...it was too cold for me and my youngest shivered constantly. I asked the lifeguard at the time and she said the heat was on but she wasn't sure the temp it was set at. Obviously they've made a quiet adjustment in the hopes noone will notice and they can save some money. "It's too cold to swim, let's go spend some money at the parks!"

rocketriter
03-13-2006, 02:41 PM
The best way to respond to a "quiet adjustment" that reduces the value of our vacation purchase is to respond non-quietly. If this inconvenienced or disappointed you, let member services know in writing and by e-mail. For every letter they receive, they should assume that another 10 or so families were annoyed but did not write, so it doesn't take that many letters to make an impression.

bicker
03-13-2006, 02:48 PM
That cuts both ways. If so few guests make note of it then that projects the message quite clearly that the decision (assuming there was one) was a good decision.

pumpkinboy
03-13-2006, 03:02 PM
:sunny: Last month when we were at BWV, the Luna Park pool was nice and warm, so no skimping there apparently.

It could have been that the pool heater was just getting repaired. I can't imagine all of us DVC members putting up with frigid pools at our beloved DVC resorts. Perhaps this needs to be brought up with Jim Lewis and the rest of DVC management's team. A letter to management and a well-placed question at the annual meeting (unfortunately not until next December) should take care of things. I for one would pay a little more in my dues to keep the pools in swimming condition.

Then again, water temperature is a subjective thing. As I am from the State of Maine, swimming weather is any time the pond ain't frozen. :teeth: Most normal people require a little more warmth before they go swimming.

LIFERBABE
03-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Others have reported this lately too.

We were at SSR in January (NYE) and I believe the pool temp was 84 degrees. We swam every day and most nights. After our return, I started reading reports of WDW lowering pool temps across the board.

We plan our 2 week visit every Christmas and NYE mainly because of the heated pools because my boys love to swim. We rarely visit the parks because they are so crowded. We pay prime points to stay during this time, but again, being able to swim, made it worth it to us.

It is something I will definitely address and will support by paying my fair share. If it were not for the heated pools, we probably would not go to WDW over the holiday break.

rigsby25
03-13-2006, 05:45 PM
If this is true, it will be heartbreaking for us. We loved the warm water. Where can we write and e-mail? We go in October and January. If the water is too cold to swim, DVC will not be valuable to us any longer.

Ducky4Disney
03-13-2006, 05:51 PM
I guess is depends on when you go. We were there last Oct and the water was SO warm that it wasn't refreshing to swim at all. It was hot outside and hot in the water - no relief from the heat at all. But in Feb I can see wanting the water to be warmer than in June.

I wonder what the new temp is?

D4D

ttfn3
03-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Oh, no!! We check into Saratoga Springs on Saturday and we're playing to hang out at the resort a LOT. A cold pool will put a real damper on our trip plans. Maybe this is Disney's way to force more people into the parks. What a real bummer. Now, how do I tell my family - who wanted to stay offsite this trip - that it may be too cold to swim?

Charleneluvsdisney
03-13-2006, 06:28 PM
We were also at Saratoga over President's week and the main pool as well as the quiet pool were both freezing. I would not go in but my son did. He shivered like crazy until he got used to it. I just couldn't do it! We were also at POP Century for a few days and that pool was just as awful!

The funny thing though was we went over to the Grand Floridian for lunch during our stay and then we walked the grounds. My husband put his hand in the pool over by the beach and it was sooo warm! I was so jealous and at the same time it made me disappointed.

I didn't think to complain about it at the time, but I definately will!

Disneyhappy
03-13-2006, 07:15 PM
We were at the WL in Janaury. Boy was the water cold. DS and DH quickly got out of the pool and went over to the hot tub. Granted, it was a very cold few days when we were there.

Stitch1404
03-13-2006, 07:21 PM
We were at the Beach Club Villas in January and Stormalong Bay was FREEZING!!! I thought it was because it was January and it was cooler outside. Everyone was in the one hot tub that was working (by the kiddie section), the two others weren't open. The hot tub was so crowded people were taking turns. At one point I counted 14 people in one tiny hot tub and no one in the pool! Then we just got back Saturday from Port Orleans (ran out of DVC points) and the pool there was even worse.

simzac
03-13-2006, 07:44 PM
We were at POP the first week of January this year, went down to the bowling pin pool the 2nd day, went back to the room five minutes later freezing my you know what off, very disappointed. I remember the quiet pool at CBR the year before being so warm, I was really disappointed. Hope what I'm reading in this thread isn't true, I'm not a big swimmer, but WDW just isn't the same not being able to enjoy a swim while your there. JMO :sad2:

cgcruz
03-13-2006, 07:48 PM
We just got back Saturday from The Boardwalk villas. They have definately lowered the temperatures at the pools! Its just too cold! Disney does not need to cost cut by making the pools unpleasant!!! :rolleyes2

DVCconvert
03-13-2006, 07:50 PM
As I am from the State of Maine, swimming weather is any time the pond ain't frozen. Most normal people require a little more warmth before they go swimming.

Yes -- but-- since you're now 'in excile' -- you've turned into a 'wimp'....comparitively speaking! ;)

LisaS
03-13-2006, 08:34 PM
We were at VWL in late January and the main pool at WL was wonderful! We didn't try the pool over by the villas. We're planning to go back next January and we will be very disappointed if the pool temperature is too cold for swimming!

xterratri
03-13-2006, 08:37 PM
So I was planning on getting up quite early to get my swims in at the main pool at OKW next week without having to deal with families and floaters, but maybe I won't have to because it will be too cold for them:) I can hope can't I? Pool temps can be very subjective- I like it cooler to actually swim(coach used to say the best temps were in the mid to upper 70s) but I liked the temps warmer when I was teaching lessons. My old gym kept the pool at 88 stinking degrees for the water aerobics classes and I got sick to my stomach if I tried to swim a hard workout there. If the water temp is too warm to cool your body, you're at risk for hyperthermia.

DISNEY123
03-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I stayed at SS last week. Main pool was way too cold. I also saw many people wince as they put their feet in the pool. I heard the pool temp policy was to keep it heated between 78-80 degrees. The weather was in the mid 80's, and a 78 degree pool temp( and that might have been generous) is just not warm enough.

I have a pool at my home and there is a huge difference between 78-80 degrees and 82-84 degrees. 82 degrees has to be the minimum.

I have stayed at many different resorts, and this was by far the coldest water I have encountered at a high-end resort. Disney may try to use conservation or high energy prices as an excuse, but for the retail prices they charge and for the investments people make in the DVC, I think it is unacceptable.

Please let me know who I should contact or write to express my displeasure (Saratoga Springs directly or DVC)?

Katya
03-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Not sure if this related or not, but I was at the Swan and Dolphin for a conference for about a week a couple weeks ago, and I found the pools there to also be overly cold at times. At least for their large main pool. Granted, it isn't a resort hotel, but perhaps it is indicative of something larger going on.

mrsminniemouse
03-14-2006, 03:17 AM
Hi OP here

Well, it seems lots of people have had the same 'cold water' experience lately. What a shame.

One of the guests at SSR who I spoke to about this told me a friendly lifeguard had told her (off the record) it was a new policy and that she should complain and tell others to do the same. I fully intend to complain, but I am not sure who to write to or call. Any info on who I should contact? I did complain to the lifeguards while in resort but they didn't seem to be able to do anything as it seems to be a WDW wide decision.

Simba's Mom
03-14-2006, 07:23 AM
Since the pools were cooler at SAB and Luna Pool,where DVC "shares" the pool with regular Disney hotels, as well as the one at SSR, I'm thinking that the lower temperature may be a new DISNEY policy, not just DVC policy. If that's the case, would complaints by DVC members have any control? Although I wonder if maybe they'd at least get the pools at SSR and OKW (dedicated DVC resorts) to have warmer water. Does this make sense?

mrsminniemouse
03-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Since the pools were cooler at SAB and Luna Pool,where DVC "shares" the pool with regular Disney hotels, as well as the one at SSR, I'm thinking that the lower temperature may be a new DISNEY policy, not just DVC policy. If that's the case, would complaints by DVC members have any control? Although I wonder if maybe they'd at least get the pools at SSR and OKW (dedicated DVC resorts) to have warmer water. Does this make sense?

I got the impression that the new policy was for ALL WDW resorts, DVC or otherwise. Not sure though...

disneynutt1225
03-14-2006, 08:43 AM
In February the pools at the Wilderness Lodge were SO COLD! In fact, two nights even the jacuzzis were cold as well. We noticed this problem at both the main and quiet pool. One of my favorite things to do while down there is relax in the jacuzzi at night after a long day in the parks - we didn't even get to do that as much this last trip because the water was too cold. In fact, the jacuzzi at the quiet pool didn't even have the jets on the last 3 nights we were there.

Johnnie Fedora
03-14-2006, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry, but don't we pay to operate the pool heater. This WDW policy is not saving Disney any money at a DVC resort, since they just pass along the costs to the members.

A cooler pool may be great for lap swimming, but most guests use the pool for fun and relaxation. A warmer temperture is appropriate.

Find somewhere else to cut waste out of the budget...like charging guests for damage to the units!!

bicker
03-14-2006, 09:07 AM
There may be a strong correlation between a high temperature of the water in the pool and the fostering of various pathogens. If it makes the pools safer, then I'm all in favor of making the pools cooler.

conciergekelly
03-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Oh ,so now our dues and the room rates of the resorts should go down right? ;) If you go in the winter you should be able to swim. That is just crazy. I am sure that the heating bill goes down in the summer so there should be no reason to skimp. JMHO I'll complain. Disney is usually listens.

isabella65
03-14-2006, 09:21 AM
:rolleyes: Hi,

See if this works.

This is the email add. I was given for complaints for DVC when I had a problem with room at VWL last year. They said I would get a response back to the email I never did.

member satisfaction:
reply wont let me put in the email addr. So I have put it in the title.

ATT:MEMBER SATISFACTION

isabella65
03-14-2006, 09:26 AM
;) Try this I was given the following email addr. from DVC customer service.

Address it to :

See email addr. in the title of this post,this reply will not let me put the email address in the context of the message

ATT: MEMBER STAISFACITION

DisneyJen
03-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Adding to the timeline here ...

We were at BWV for our annual long January weekend. We go the same weekend every year. The quiet pool by Community Hall was SO COLD!! Our teens were really disappointed as pool time is one of our favorite parts of that weekend.

DVC Jen
03-14-2006, 10:18 AM
With energy cost skyrocketing EVERYWHERE I am not surprised if they aren't heating the pools as warmly as they were in the past.

There is no way we can afford to heat our small backyard pool, heat or cool our home and put gas in our cars.

Now.. with that being said.. if members want the pool warmer then Disney should heat them to the desired temp..but it may make our dues go even higher.

I'm not trying to make anyone unhappy.. just being realistic. Heating a swimming pool is VERY expensive and even more so when energy costs keep going up up and up.

goldilocks_63
03-14-2006, 10:21 AM
This is the main reason we come to Disney so much, to get away from cold CHicago and swim.

Please send your issues / concerns to:

Disney Vacation Club <members@disneyvacationclub.com>

I'm suggesting DVC, because DVC is supposedly very profitable for Disney, and should have some pull.... Also, this issue needs to be addressed because it would effect my decision to purchase.

JMHO,
Goldi

Sammy
03-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Just back from OKW and we did notice the lower temp in the pool. Granted, the weather was warm, but not hot enough to want such a "refreshing" dip! The funny thing is that the pool was warmer earlier in the week, but as the week went on, it got cooler and cooler. Saw lots of people poke a toe in, then say "no way!"

Sammy

Mickeysduck
03-14-2006, 10:41 AM
We tried to override the AC controls as I had read here but it did not seem to help. We live in England and are not used to AC but we have never encountered this problem before, we were glad to get home and sleep in a room with an open window! We kept waking up feeling hungover - woolly head, dry mouth...yuck.

We were also there last week. You hit it right on. We felt the same way every morning. I really struggled to open the window, but they are fastened from the outside.

Could someone direct me to the AC override? I had ours set to 65 and it never went below 72. Our only solution was to keep water on the nite stand and pry our super dry mouths open every few hours to wet them down.

goldilocks_63
03-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Just called OKW, and spoke with staff there (not naming people, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble).....

They told me that upper management has made an initiative to turn all the pools down to 80 degrees for feature pools, 78 degrees for quiet pools, from a previous 84 - 86 degrees, as a cost savings measure.

I was also told, that a study was run, where it was shown how this effected negatively the resort guests, and they are doing it anyway....

The person said that the study was started when they lowered the pool temps, about 2 months ago, around January....

I tried to talk to the OKW manager, and the front desk didn't allow me to.... THey insisted that I talk to DVC member services about this issue.

So please everyone call MS, speak to management, and email your concerns to:

I'm madder than you know what right now... I am taking my parents to OKW, and they dislike Disney... they are only going there for the pool and sun, and now that will be a bust too!!!!

Goldi

mrsminniemouse
03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
:rolleyes: Hi,

See if this works.

This is the email add. I was given for complaints for DVC when I had a problem with room at VWL last year. They said I would get a response back to the email I never did.

member satisfaction:
reply wont let me put in the email addr. So I have put it in the title.

ATT:MEMBER SATISFACTION

Thanks for this address, I have just emailed them.

LIFERBABE
03-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I just emailed MS also. :thumbsup2

For shame!! I knew we really enjoyed the SSR main pool and we left there on January 6, 2006. One of the Rec CM's told me the pool was heated to 84F after I was complimenting about how great and warm the pool was.

I would really hate to cancel our annual Christmas/NYE trips, but the warm pools are 90% of the reason we go during such a high point time. My Ds's love to swim!

goldilocks_63
03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
and was told initially that no, I can't talk to MS management.... I threw a fit, and said I at least wanted to voice my concerns....

The MS said to write guest services... This isn't a DVC manager.

so please write to both:

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Goldi

goldilocks_63
03-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I spoke with Jackie at member services, who in my opinion, is great, and told her my concerns....

So at least we have a DVC voice to be our advocate.

Thanks Jackie.

Goldi

jodifla
03-14-2006, 11:07 AM
I thought the OKW pool was pretty comfortable when we were there in February....but I agree that they should keep the pools heated to a comfortable temperature! Heck, they don't have to heat them THAT much of the year.

goldilocks_63
03-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I know what you mean... I always go during high season XMAS/NYE and Easter, for the warm pools....

Otherwise, if their is no heat or low temps, I might as well do discount September....

If anyone has suggestions, please let DVC know.

I suggested that although this was a WDW policy, that perhaps the DVC quiet pools could be heated to a warmer temp, and since they were smaller, it wouldn't be as expensive.

Goldi

murcor
03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
We were at SSR from Jan 1st to Jan 12. Upon arriving the first few days the pools were nice and warm. Towards the end of the vacation we noticed a definate cooldown and we would be shivering when we left the pool. At the time we just thought they heated the pools more for the christmas/new yaers crowds and as the crowds died down the pools went down...after reading this thread maybe the new policy took effect sometime during the first two weeks of Jan.

LisaS
03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
I just sent an email to both of the email addresses goldilocks listed to express concern over this. As someone who just added on more points so we could go to WDW for a week in January every year to escape the New England winters, this is a big issue for me! A HUGE part of what makes a January trip so enjoyable is the chance to go swimming.

Jen D
03-14-2006, 12:12 PM
This has come up on the resort boards and theme park attractions board too.

It really bugs me also if it is true. When we went in early February it was so cold I didn't swim at all, but my dd did. We were planning on going Presidents Week next year but have been hesitant because of the weather we experienced this year. If we can't count on warm pools, I don't think we can do it.

I'll be writing.

sssteele
03-14-2006, 12:56 PM
The pools seem overly warm to me in the summer, not very refreshing. It'll certainly be a shame if they're too cold in winter.

bicker
03-14-2006, 12:58 PM
It really bugs me also if it is true. I think it would bug me more if it wasn't true, with so many folks getting upset for nothing. YMMV.

Johnnie Fedora
03-14-2006, 01:10 PM
There may be a strong correlation between a high temperature of the water in the pool and the fostering of various pathogens. If it makes the pools safer, then I'm all in favor of making the pools cooler.

The small degree of cooling would have little effect on bacterial growth, but a great effect on the DVCers vacation enjoyment. :guilty:

If they want to suspend bacterial growth, they should let the pools freeze over and rent ice skates. ;) :cold:

lisareniff
03-14-2006, 01:38 PM
I was swiming with my girls at the Poly before Pres. Weekend and I was :cold:. I was suprise because I had heard the pools were heated to 82 deg. and I thought I would be fine. It was hard to stand in one place and watch my little one while in the water. When I was able to swim around it was OK. If it was warmer I would have enjoyed my pool time, now I just remember the cold.

bicker
03-14-2006, 01:38 PM
I just checked. The danger zone begins at 82 degrees, for pathogens such as Naegleria fowleri. So lowering the temperature of the pools further below 82 degrees is almost surely a matter of safety, given that the effect of the sun could warm the pool beyond what the heaters achieve.

Simba's Mom
03-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Just called OKW, and spoke with staff there (not naming people, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble).....

They told me that upper management has made an initiative to turn all the pools down to 80 degrees for feature pools, 78 degrees for quiet pools, from a previous 84 - 86 degrees, as a cost savings measure.

I was also told, that a study was run, where it was shown how this effected negatively the resort guests, and they are doing it anyway....

The person said that the study was started when they lowered the pool temps, about 2 months ago, around January....

I tried to talk to the OKW manager, and the front desk didn't allow me to.... THey insisted that I talk to DVC member services about this issue.

I'm madder than you know what right now... I am taking my parents to OKW, and they dislike Disney... they are only going there for the pool and sun, and now that will be a bust too!!!!

Goldi
Thanks so much for your call. What leaves me speechless is that they admit they did a study that showed how this negatively affects resort guests but they're doing it anyways!!??!! Boy, that really angers me! It makes me think twice about Disney's concern with guests-we don't care, we're doing it anyways. And they're lowering the temperature in the quiet pools to 78 degrees? OK, if safety were the reason, lower it to 80 or 81, not 78. And did someone say that the temperature in the jacuzzis was lowered too? Or is that one just my infuriated mind at work?

bicker
03-14-2006, 02:12 PM
I would chalk it up to a little mob mentality. Many folks are getting very upset about something which most every other resort in the world could change without most guests even noticing.

smjj
03-14-2006, 02:13 PM
I just checked. The danger zone begins at 82 degrees, for pathogens such as Naegleria fowleri. So lowering the temperature of the pools further below 82 degrees is almost surely a matter of safety, given that the effect of the sun could warm the pool beyond what the heaters achieve.

I am sure this had nothing to do with why they decided to lower the temperature of the pools at all. If it did they would have done so long ago. They did it just as others have stated. To save a buck at our expense..smjj

bicker
03-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Or in response to some recent lawsuit settlements.

Regardless, I'm not sure I understand the allure of always thinking the worst of other people.

toesmom
03-14-2006, 02:22 PM
One of the main reasons we bought into DVC versus going on all inclusive holidays to Mexico was because pools were heated and we could swim in january in warm water in florida.

So first trip to BWV in january (I reported about my trip somewhere on the boards) and I remember mentioning that it wasn't much of a holiday when I was shivering in the pool!!!

So now I know for sure I wasn't crazy!!! I have to say, it really changed my holiday, I went from enjoying the pool the year before to dreading entering the water with my 7 year old.

NOW WHAT IS THE CORRECT EMAIL ADDRESS - IF THEY GET A WHOLE BUNCH OF COMPLAINTS MAYBE THIS POLICY CAN BE CHANGED!!!!

Blue&Gold
03-14-2006, 02:33 PM
This strikes me as the kind of thing that gets some green eye-shade type fired. The energy costs associated with heating all the pools at WDW combined is probably barely a blip on the overall energy demand of the complex. Anyone care to guess how many kilowatts the lights at Boardwalk burn through in a year? Attempts like these don't cut costs, they cut revenue by annoying customers.

Mumbler
03-14-2006, 02:53 PM
I just had to agree with the fact that safety couldn't possibly be the issue for turning down pool temps. The pools are somewhere around 88 to 90degrees in the summer, they would have to add something to cool the water to get it any cooler (they do that at my Y, I live in FL). They just super-chlorinate in order to kill the pathogens.
My guess is they only have to use the heater from mid-October to mid-April anyway, so why skimp?
BTW, when we were there once the water was a little chilly and the lifeguard at that time told us the air temp has to consistently (certain # of days) get below 70 degrees at night before they turn the heaters on.

Katya
03-14-2006, 03:50 PM

The problem with this hypothesis is the fact that, if you are speaking of Naegleria fowleri or other microorganisms, is that we are not speaking of heated lakes and streams. We are speaking of swimming pools, which, unless they are woefully and neglegently maintained, tend to be chlorinated. Extra chlorinated, I'm sure, if you are an organization the size and breadth of Disney.

I would chalk it up to a little mob mentality. Many folks are getting very upset about something which most every other resort in the world could change without most guests even noticing.

The difference, however, is that the people complaining at least on this board are 'part-owners' of these resorts. At least they are for 40-50 years, and they were neither consulted or alerted to this change? Many of these owners might have seen the allure of heated pools in off-season months to be an influential selling point. Recently, I went ahead and decided to put down a deposit and am now waiting on the paperwork to come in for me to finalize the deal.

I live in Washington, DC, which tends to have cold winters. On top of that, I'm someone who tends to travel off-season due to annual commitments which occur on-season. So, the whole "heated pools during winter" thing was a major selling point. Will it kill the deal? Probably not, but it has definitely given me pause if it is a harbinger of things to come. When my paperwork does arrive, I may very well talk to my guide or someone else to get the 411 of what's going on.

And as someone else said, when you consider how much money Disney spends each day and night on energy costs (Spectromagic, anyone?), it is impossible to see how they are really saving much money at all. Actually, I'd like to see the numbers on that, seeing that I am not sure exactly how much energy it takes to heat those pools (is it an exponential thing as bodies of water get larger? etc).

I think what upsets a lot of people is more that it was done 'on the sly.' No body likes that, whoever they are. If you are going to do something, be honest and open about it. Don't try to get away with it, especially with people who are the ones who you are sharing the costs of upkeep with.

My personal guess is that it could be one of those things where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Look at most large organizations. It happens all the time. Department A does one thing, not realizing how it could affect Department B. Who knows. It may just be an honest mistake couched in the surface of trying to save money. As 'part-owners,' it can be argued, that DVC members are the checks and balances to ensure that Disney keeps efficiency from interfering with quality, etc etc.

Or my name is Pollyanna. I dunno. ;)

P.S. I just spent like... an hour and a half getting this post to post due to some weird "can't post URLs" error. And, as you can see, no URLs! The problem seemed to come from one sentence which wouldn't parse through the bbs. ARGH! I am blaming this problem on the lack of heated pools also. ;)

bicker
03-14-2006, 03:58 PM
The difference, however, is that the people complaining at least on this board are 'part-owners' of these resorts.So what you're saying is that it is actually MY money that they're saving, by turning the heater down three degrees. Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Many of these owners might have seen the allure of heated pools in off-season months to be an influential selling point.Good thing the pools are STILL heated.

trstno1
03-14-2006, 04:00 PM
The problem with this hypothesis is the fact that, if you are speaking of Naegleria fowleri or other microorganisms, is that we are not speaking of heated lakes and streams. We are speaking of swimming pools, which, unless they are woefully and neglegently maintained, tend to be chlorinated. Extra chlorinated, I'm sure, if you are an organization the size and breadth of Disney.

Yeah - there is no way that pool heating is a public health issue. It's money, pure and simple.

smjj
03-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Now, now lets keep it civil. This is a very interesting and important thread and I would hate to have a moderator feel the need to intervene and close it..smjj

islandbeachnut
03-14-2006, 04:06 PM
You know, I didn't think much of it at the time, but when we were staying at the WL last month - we had a view of the WL villas pool. :sunny:

So after spending lots of time in the main pool, one night I stayed in the room & my DH took the kids to the Villas pool and I watched from the balcony. Well within 3 minutes they were heading back to the main pool. When I asked why, they told me the Villas pool was at least 10 degrees cooler than the main pool. :confused3

The hot tubs were REALLY HOT though!!

Maistre Gracey
03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I think it's the new strategy to keep out pool crashers. :smokin:

MG

bicker
03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Now, now lets keep it civil. This is a very interesting and important thread and I would hate to have a moderator feel the need to intervene and close it..smjjWell, it's Page 5 anyway -- y'know how it goes: Everything that needs to be said in a thread is said within the first four pages. :wave2:

spiceycat
03-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Several people were complainting about the pools not being heated....

they were told they were being heated.....

Disney if they need to cut costs - had better look somewhere else.

especially with the DVC resorts - they aren't paying the costs at these resorts we are.

DISNEY123
03-14-2006, 04:25 PM
The whirlpool tubs are heated to around 104 degrees, so I guess if health is the main concern, Disney must only be interested in the health of the pool swimmers.

Last week while I stayed at SSR, my sister and her family, were staying at the Grosvenor Hotel just down the road. Let me first say that the Grosvenor will never be mistaken for the Four Seasons. But, my family and I actually spent one day at her pool area because the pool was warmer. This was our first stay at SSR since becoming a member and we leave our "deluxe" resort to go over and swim at a "value" hotel. Talk about embarrassing.

I know some on this board were questioning whether the pools were really that cold. Believe me, I was there. The fact of the matter is, the SSR pool is not that deep (ave 3.5 feet deep). Heck the Gulf of Mexico will be heated to the 80's by mother nature in a few months.

jim and meesie
03-14-2006, 04:26 PM
I just got out of the pool at BCV (really, bathing suit is still wet) and my DD and I were commenting on how unheated it seemed to be. A nice sunny day, so it should have felt refreshing, instead it just felt COLD!! We'll go try Stormalong Bay later to see if it is warmer!

Katya
03-14-2006, 04:28 PM
So what you're saying is that it is actually MY money that they're saving, by turning the heater down three degrees. Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

That may, or may not, be true. If it is, they probably should come out and say so. And if it is the case, however, should DVC members be allowed to have a say in the matter? It is possible that a member might prefer "adequately" (admittedly, a very subjective term!) heated pools over a mystery increase/decrease in dues.

Good thing the pools are STILL heated.

Yes, but according to skinwitness reports, possibly not at a "Disney/world class" level.

This may all just be anecdotal evidence, or a temporary problem. But I'm sure people would just like an answer, seeing that it could impact many vacations and vacationers this year, and years to follow.

Now, now lets keep it civil. This is a very interesting and important thread and I would hate to have a moderator feel the need to intervene and close it..smjj

Oh gosh. :/ I hope no one is taking my (few) posts out of context! I'm only quoting people to continue the conversation and connect it to earlier posts. Nothing personal is meant. :)

Well, it's Page 5 anyway -- y'know how it goes: Everything that needs to be said in a thread is said within the first four pages. :wave2:

EXACTLY! And now, let me tell you how to find the treasure map that leads to the Magical Amulet of Magic Magicians Who Do Magic! Only we who have the fortitude to go through to page 5 will know! MUAHAHAHAHAHA! Excelsior! :woohoo:

mrsminniemouse
03-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Sorry to disagree here Bicker but have you actually used a WDW pool since the policy change? I have and it was horribly cold. No resort in the world could change this without guests noticing. It isn't just a slight drop in temperature, it is dramatic. It was so cold my two year old daughter was crying, shivering and sobbing but she wanted to stay in because she loves to swim! Braver than me.....

jim and meesie
03-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Just a little PS to my previous post, I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel just two weeks ago and the pool was significantly warmer!!! No contest.

goldilocks_63
03-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Would you please take a moment to express your opinion to

"Disney Vacation Club" <members@disneyvacationclub.com>
and
"WDW Guest Communications" <WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com>

FYI - Today I got an email about would I like to do an Add-on at OKW.... too funny! Not if the pool is COLD, I wouldn't....

Disclaimer: The add-on email came from:
"Disney Vacation Club" <disneyvacationclub@dvc.chtah.com>

Goldi

mathmagic
03-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Would you please take a moment to express your opinion to

"Disney Vacation Club" <members@disneyvacationclub.com>
and
"WDW Guest Communications" <WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com>

I agree. Things won't change unless we make a lot of noise. If they have really done this as a cost-saving measure, then it is going to take a lot of speaking out to get them to spend the money to heat the pools to a comfortable level again. Seems worth the time to me to send a brief email.

Sammie
03-14-2006, 06:52 PM
;) I think it's the new strategy to keep out pool crashers. :smokin:

MG

:thumbsup2 Not sure if it's great minds think alike or evil minds, but I was about to post the same thing when I read yours. :rotfl2:

If it is due to cost cutting to save money, I am sure it is a result of Disney have to recoop all the lost revenue from mug and dining plan abuse. I knew it would come to this. That money has to come from somewhere. ;)

AFMom
03-14-2006, 07:18 PM
My dues just went up at OKW significantly - That pool better be swimmable when we go!!!!!

3 Hobbits 2 Disney
03-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Sent the following off this evening...Please feel free to reuse/recycle.

There has been a great deal of discussion on the DIS boards (S
sponsored by the Timeshare Store) about the change in pool water temperatures at the DVC resorts. Several WDW employees have admitted, off the record, that pool temperatures were dropped as a cost-savings measure. Since the maintenance of these pools, including the associated utilities, are one of the things that I expect my annual dues to cover, I find this change to be outrageous. Contrary to popular belief, WDW is not always 85 degrees and sunny, and for those of us who travel during the low point season, this change seriously affects our ability to take full advantage of our homes. I strongly protest this change, and expect it to be reversed. If DVC needs additional funds for maintaining the resorts in the style to which members expect, it should make the case at the Annual Meetings.[I]

smjj
03-14-2006, 07:31 PM
What will probably happen is that the idiots that made this decision are thinking "well, it's almost the summer and the heaters won't be a issue much longer. Let try and ignore it this year and by next year, we will try it again and hope no one notice". The thing is they are probably right...smjj

Johnnie Fedora
03-14-2006, 07:37 PM
How about the HH pools. Anyone been lately?

Chim Chiminy
03-14-2006, 08:40 PM
We were at VWL 2-26-3/4.

The pool there was cold, too cold for DH.
I swam in it two mornings while we were there, had the whole pool to myself. It was chillier than I recall WDW pools being. Usually they are very comfortable. I figured, heck I swim off the coast of Maine in summer, it can't be any worse!

We never did see a lot of people swimming this trip.

manning
03-14-2006, 09:01 PM

Goldi

Gee, we swim in Lake Michigan in the summer when the average water temp is in the 60s.

jade1
03-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Lets see......build million dollar pool complexes (like SAB) then lower the temp so nobody uses it. Yea that makes sense.

But.....we saved enough energy to continue to cool the restaraunts in the MK when its 95 degrees and humid but DONT HAVE WALLS to hold the AC in much less closing doors on main street. :teacher:

toesmom
03-14-2006, 09:44 PM
I see a lot of people are reading this post. Please forward a short email to members@disneyvacationclub.com to have this policy changed!

shantay1008
03-14-2006, 10:13 PM
I sent mine, too! Thanks for the e-mail address.
Shannon

DVCPAT
03-14-2006, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Katya]That may, or may not, be true. If it is, they probably should come out and say so. And if it is the case, however, should DVC members be allowed to have a say in the matter? It is possible that a member might prefer "adequately" (admittedly, a very subjective term!) heated pools over a mystery increase/decrease in dues.

With energy costs skyrocketing, Disney may be worried about the 15% cap on maintenance fees. In our area, Baltimore Gas & Electric is planning to raise prices 70%. Deregulation is supposed to allow competition to lower electric prices but that’s not going to happen.

The funny thing is, BGE had record profits under the old rules. Under deregulation, the electric companies are going to follow the oil company’s lead and fleece the consumer for every penny they can.

JodyTG
03-15-2006, 12:26 AM
No one mentioned a money "waster" with turning the heat down on the pools... What are they paying the life guards for if no one can stand to swim because it's too cold?

My DH & DD always swim on our Christmas trips and this past year they were in the pool MAYBE 5 minutes because it was too cold.

It looked like the lifeguards were bored because there was NO ONE swimming and so nothing to do and no one to talk to.

AMcaptured
03-15-2006, 06:27 AM
With energy costs skyrocketing, Disney may be worried about the 15% cap on maintenance fees.

Disney is lowering the temperature of all their pools, not just DVC ones. However, DVC members specifically pay for amenities with their dues. Please don't give Disney a pass on this one.

Personally, if I couldn't swim when we go to Florida in January I would probably sell our points and go elsewhere. I'm going to relax and enjoy the sun and facilities.

I have said for a long time that Disney does not like that DVC members go back year after year after year. We tend to notice everything. Honestly, do you really think they want that??? Of course not! They want a guest who comes in for 5 or 6 days, wonders around aimlessly under the Disney Magic spell and doesn't complain about anything that isn't right. One time guests who are there for a few days don't know to complain about stains on the carpet, long bus waits, cold pools or thermostats in the room that make it impossible to sleep at night, etc. DVC members do however notice these things and we are vocal about it.

It is no wonder management hates us. We actually notice when they are trying to pull one over on us. I can just imagine the conversations they will be having today when they get a bunch of emails on this subject.

I wrote my email. We pay dues, we have a right to speak up on the matter.

conciergekelly
03-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Thanks guys. I sent mine! :thumbsup2 Hope it works. I have no sympathy for Disney. They make a fortune off of us in so may ways, ecspecially those of us who go 1-4 (or more) times a year. For what they charge per night ....pleeaase they can afford it!
:wizard:

disneynutt1225
03-15-2006, 07:57 AM
I just sent my email. Let's see what happens.

DVCPAT
03-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Disney is lowering the temperature of all their pools, not just DVC ones. However, DVC members specifically pay for amenities with their dues. Please don't give Disney a pass on this one.

Personally, if I couldn't swim when we go to Florida in January I would probably sell our points and go elsewhere. I'm going to relax and enjoy the sun and facilities.

I have said for a long time that Disney does not like that DVC members go back year after year after year. We tend to notice everything. Honestly, do you really think they want that??? Of course not! They want a guest who comes in for 5 or 6 days, wonders around aimlessly under the Disney Magic spell and doesn't complain about anything that isn't right. One time guests who are there for a few days don't know to complain about stains on the carpet, long bus waits, cold pools or thermostats in the room that make it impossible to sleep at night, etc. DVC members do however notice these things and we are vocal about it.

It is no wonder management hates us. We actually notice when they are trying to pull one over on us. I can just imagine the conversations they will be having today when they get a bunch of emails on this subject.

I wrote my email. We pay dues, we have a right to speak up on the matter.

I’m not giving Disney a free pass. You do need to try and understand why Disney would try to conserve energy. The reality is, energy costs are going to skyrocket in the future. Maybe it’s Disney’s plan to float the energy (money) conserving methods of containing costs, when enough people complain; they can say they honestly tried to keep costs down. Then they can pass the extra costs along to the members.

Johnnie Fedora
03-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Who's going to lead the march of pool thermometer carrying DVCers that are going to collect some real temperture measurements. That will put an end to the speculation on how cold is cold.

Disney Fanatic
03-15-2006, 10:02 AM
One of the reasons we purchased DVC over Fairfield was because we stayed at the Ocean Walk in Daytona before our trip to OKW and at the Oceanwalk we could not swim in the pool. Major Disappointment as it was sooooo cold.

We arrived at OKW and the pools were warm and we had a wonderful time swimming during the entire trip.

After that trip, we decided to purchase DVC!!!!

The reason we leave the great white north is to be able to take advantage of things we cannot do at home.

I am definately writting in on this one.

The time us Candians like to travel is during the cold months and to visit with pools we cannot swim in will be a MAJOR Disappointment.....just like Fairfield!

snowbunny
03-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Under deregulation, the electric companies are going to follow the oil company’s lead and fleece the consumer for every penny they can.

Yup, that's the standard outcome of deregulation. :mad:

rward
03-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I just sent off my email, keep them coming! :thumbsup2

rward
03-15-2006, 10:46 AM
About 5 minutes after my email I recieved the canned response

Thank you for submitting your e-mail request. A Vacation Advisor will research your request and
respond via return e-mail within 2 business days. However, we sometimes receive an unusually high
volume of e-mails which may delay our response to you.

Disney Vacation Club

I hope they are swamped with emails, lets go guys - speak up :woohoo:

HUFF590
03-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Email to MS, so lets get going on this , good luck uh? :cool1:

scottb8888
03-15-2006, 01:57 PM
I suggested that there would be a real uprising of the members if they did not attend to this issue.

Maistre Gracey
03-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Even though I'm not a huge swimmer, I do support warm pools. My wife swims more than I do.

Please don't get me wrong here, this is not a hostile post. I'm only trying to point out that we can't have it both ways; all the extras, and low fees.

With that said, I'm going to bookmark this thread and see if anyone here is griping about fee increases come December.

Personally I am a fan of paying higher fees and receiving all the goodies... Most of all superb maintenance and housekeeping. :smokin:

MG

OKWJan
03-15-2006, 02:19 PM
I agree with that comment - I too would rather see the fees go up to make sure the heat in the pools stays on and services is of high quality. People need to realize costs go up every year and there is no way you can continue to maintain and improve a property for the same amount of money year after year. In order to protect your investment and enjoyment of DVC, we need to bite the bullett and realize higher dues will also be necessary.

Jan

smsnorthup
03-15-2006, 02:21 PM
How about the HH pools. Anyone been lately?

We were just there a week ago and the main pool was freezing...nobody swimming in it. Even kids that braved it were only in for a minute then ran to the hot tub which was where everyone else was. We're headed home for the first time to SSR in April and will not be very upset if the pool is cold :furious:

Katya
03-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Oh, I am perfectly cool (har har har) with them possibly raising costs to keep the pools warm. Of course, I think there should also be a cost analysis to make sure people aren't being bilked. ;) It's more the fact that its a silent change.

Btw, I JUST got my documentation for finalizing my buying 210 points in SSR. Scared. AUGH. Furiously reading everything over and over again. Blaaaahhh..

Seven days. eek.

Chuck S
03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
You know that they don't have to advise us of every decision Disney & DVC makes regarding the resorts. In fact, they don't even need to follow a poll when they ask for it themselves. There was a poll of Members at OKW several years ago about adding the pool slide and raising dues to cover it. The overwhelmng response was "No." It was added anyway. While you may not like the new policy, and are certainly welcome to make your feelings known, warnings in your letters of "member uprisings", etc., really make members look like a bunch of hostile yahoos, and are quite counter productive.

goldilocks_63
03-15-2006, 03:52 PM
But I'm hoping us DVCers have more pulll.....

Goldi

DrTomorrow
03-15-2006, 04:36 PM
And to add to Chuck's post, mentioning that "you read about this online may also help" route your message to the 'Internet kook' bin....

Also, has there been any 'on the record' comments about this new policy, or is this just 'a CM told me'?

jodifla
03-15-2006, 05:01 PM
We were just there a week ago and the main pool was freezing...nobody swimming in it. Even kids that braved it were only in for a minute then ran to the hot tub which was where everyone else was. We're headed home for the first time to SSR in April and will not be very upset if the pool is cold :furious:

The only time we were at SSR was in December 2004, and I thought the pool was freezing then. Can't imagine it any colder!

It's pointless and a huge waste of money in maintainence to have nice pools if no one is going to swim in them because it's too cold. Duh! Why do they think people come to Florida in the winter? And like a previous poster said....it's just a huge waste of money to have life guards standing around with no one in the pool.

The rocket scientist who thought of this "cost saving" measure should be taken out and shot....or better yet, forced to swim in one of the pools in January!

CarnotaurDad
03-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Before we all run off the "deep end", so to speak, I would second the notion from a few posts above about getting an official response. Do we even know if that is an official Disney policy or if we are just acting via group-think?

We were at SSR in January and the two pools we went to (main pool and Paddocks quiet) were very warm to us.

Just checking to see if there is any "official" word or it it is just the "CM told me" variety.

jodifla
03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Before we all run off the "deep end", so to speak, I would second the notion from a few posts above about getting an official response. Do we even know if that is an official Disney policy or if we are just acting via group-think?

We were at SSR in January and the two pools we went to (main pool and Paddocks quiet) were very warm to us.

Just checking to see if there is any "official" word or it it is just the "CM told me" variety.

Well, what's the fun if we can't leap to conclusions with little fact? Isn't that what message boards are for?

Anyway, I look forward to Disney's response. The folks here who've been in the pools the last few weeks have a lot of stories to tell about cold pools. It couldn't be everyone's imagination.

goldilocks_63
03-15-2006, 06:15 PM
If this was way off base, and I have written, and called, with my phone number, don't you think they would have gotten back to us saying something like....

Oh, no worry.... it's all a misunderstanding.

I think the deafening silence speaks for itself.

But if you think this is rumor, please do your own investigating by calling and / or writing DVC management or WDW management....

JMHO, Goldi

LIFERBABE
03-15-2006, 06:22 PM
I agree Goldi, Last week I had an issue with MS (not pertaining to these boards) and I emailed them. I received a response the next day.

So far I have heard nothing regarding this pool heat issue.

I think they are trying to come up with a canned response that they can send to all of us.

Who wants to bet we all receive the same response?

boatboatboat
03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
we only stay at dvc when it's warm outside, so they don't heat the pools.

can i get lower dues?

CarnotaurDad
03-15-2006, 06:37 PM
I guess it might be a glass half full, glass half empty thing. We also haven't seen anything from Disney saying "yep, we have decided to lower the temperature". Until then, I'll assume they haven't.

Could I be wrong? Sure could. I'm just not jumping to an e-mail / phone call until I hear something official.

Just me.

Chuck S
03-15-2006, 06:47 PM
If this was way off base, and I have written, and called, with my phone number, don't you think they would have gotten back to us saying something like....

Oh, no worry.... it's all a misunderstanding.

I think the deafening silence speaks for itself.

But if you think this is rumor, please do your own investigating by calling and / or writing DVC management or WDW management....

JMHO, Goldi

Hmmm. No response, so it must be true. :rolleyes: Along the same lines:

I agree Goldi, Last week I had an issue with MS (not pertaining to these boards) and I emailed them. I received a response the next day.

So far I have heard nothing regarding this pool heat issue.

I think they are trying to come up with a canned response that they can send to all of us.

Who wants to bet we all receive the same response?

A matter with MS is quite different. This pool temp issue will undoubtedly go through several layers of management to determine if the temps were actually adjusted. Then they will research why they were adjusted (if they were), before giving any sort of response. Will you get the same responses? Probably, you've asked the same questions...how many answers can there be? Don't you think they should adequately look into the matter before they give the quick and easy response?

goldilocks_63
03-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Chuck, I think you are right that they will look into this before they give us a response.

Do you have any idea how long this might take? I don't have any experience to draw upon.....

Goldi

Sammie
03-15-2006, 07:44 PM

well actually I heard from a reliable source, not a lifeguard, or CM at the Front Desk, and I was told there has been no change in policy only a change in the weather lately in Florida which has been cooler.

Several people have posted they did not find the water cooler so possibly they went on warmer days.

I was told the water is set at a temperature to Red Cross standards and has always been this way.

As to the lifeguard comments my friend, said well we do have some younger CMs that have a warped sense of humor sometimes. ;)

Please do not shoot the messenger just relaying what I was told. Just remember I, along with a few others were right about the DVC billboard and my source was the same.

manning
03-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know how much it costs to heat the OKW theme pool??

Pluto4Pres
03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
we only stay at dvc when it's warm outside, so they don't heat the pools.

can i get lower dues?

Good Thinkin' :thumbsup2

They should throw some ice cubes in the pool during the summer, the water doesn't cool you off. :scared:

Katya
03-15-2006, 09:00 PM
You know whose fault it is, right?

That's right.

Maleficent.

OH MALEFICENT, WHY DO YOU TAUNT US SO?! BRRRRNOOOOOO!!!BRRRR!

:teeth:

Pluto4Pres
03-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Hmm... I got an idea :idea: for a new business - wetsuit rentals! We can set up at MCO. Maybe I can get vascubaguy to be my partner??

Markstudy
03-15-2006, 10:21 PM
well actually I heard from a reliable source, not a lifeguard, or CM at the Front Desk, and I was told there has been no change in policy only a change in the weather lately in Florida which has been cooler.
I live in Clearwater Florida. My sister lives in Orlando.
Its been very warm this year. We've only had 3 weeks of cold weather all year.

I froze at the BC 1/21/06 last day of my HoneyMoon. Not a big deal, I had a PERFECT DISENY TRIP... and had brought my light wetsuit to keep from getting too much sun (Florida people worry about skin cancer). Still the pool was teeth chattering cold. (air temps all week long in the 70's)

48 hours later, I was home and sick for the next 3 weeks. THANKS DISNEY
(maybe it was the cold pool, maybe it was all the kids with colds...but the cold swim didn't help)

manning
03-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Red Cross likes 78 to 82 degrees. Also 4 degrees above 78 could use as much as 40% more energy.

Markstudy
03-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Red Cross likes 78 to 82 degrees. Also 4 degrees above 78 could use as much as 40% more energy.

I like cold water when swimming laps. I actually sweat when doing a full speed work-out

But the big pool at the BC is not a lap pool. Not a straight line to be found :teeth:

People don't like to relax in cold water durring Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March even in mild Florida

rigsby25
03-16-2006, 04:41 AM
The e-mails to WDW and DVC needn't be acusatory. When I sent mine, I said somthing to the effect that I had heard rumers that the pool temperatures were being lowered, and I was hoping they weren't true, but if they were, please rethink this issue because we love the warm water kind of thing. You can still be heard without shouting.

Markstudy
03-16-2006, 08:26 AM
I sent this email today.....

Hello,

I took my Honeymoon at Beach Club this year in January. It was a perfect trip! We did sooo much! .......but
The last day we tried the big pool at noon, and turned a teeth chattering blue! (it had been too cold for a late afternoon swim all week)
I was sick for 3 weeks once I got home from my trip. (not saying it was cold pool, maybe or maybe-not the cause, but it didn't help)

This is the Quote that is now hitting the Disney chat rooms- (not my words)

"They told me that upper management has made an initiative to turn all the pools down to 80 degrees for feature pools, 78 degrees for quiet pools, from a previous 84 - 86 degrees, as a cost savings measure.I was also told, that a study was run, where it was shown how this effected negatively the resort guests, and they are doing it anyway...."

Over 5,000 of your best repeat customers are now actively talking about it, and we are waiting to hear from Disney????
I hope 50,000 people are reading about it,.. on-line.

I am soo un-happy with Disney, taking the pool away from us at the Beach Club (that's the reason I went there and paid top dollar.)
Please do something to make this right.
People are worried about Jan / Feb and not being able to relax in the pools.

I am thinking about contacting the media and trying to find out who in Disney's upper management came up with this horrible idea?
It would be a great project for the blogs, on-line, and investigative community. THIS HAS TO BE THE WORST IDEA DISNEY HAS EVER HAD. But trying to be sneaky about it ...... makes it even worst in my book.

Thanks
Mark Q
727 466-xxxx

thinking about Planning trip for 2007 but worried about pool problem, we want to swim this time. Still unhappy with Disney right now.
Jan. 2006 - Beach Club
May 1983 - Grad Night
Jan. 1978 - Poly
Jan. 1975 ,77, - Contemporary
Sept 1972, 73 - Fort Wilderness
plus, a few day-trips over the years

goldilocks_63
03-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Markstudy and others,
I want to state clearly that I have reported what I was told.....

But I do not know for a fact whether the pool temperature is true or not. I sent my concerns to DVC, and am waiting for an answer....

I'm leaving on 3/28 so I hope this can be resolved a.s.a.p.

Just want to clarify,

Thanks, Goldi

Chuck S
03-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Markstudy,

I think yur email is way over the top. You can NOT get sick simply from swimming in cold water, it requires a virus or bacteria. Most likely picked up in the parks where you were in closer contact with people, more likely you touched an infected handrail then rubbed your face. I don't remember pool temps being officially published anywhere, Disney is not required to fully disclose company operations, no company is, nothing "sneaky" there.

It is letters like yours that give CMs the impression that DVCers will never be satisfied and have an entitlement mentality, and can, in the long run, do more harm than good.

nezy
03-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Mandy-Thanks for starting this thread. I thought my blood was getting thinner!
As someone who visits FLA during the winter months, I will go in the pool if the air temp is above 70. :sunny: So with 2 recent trips-Jan anf Feb. -the weather was well above 70-it was 80's. :thumbsup2 The pools were COLD! I was at SSR and BCV. I was also at Marriott's Cypress Harbor which was NOT cold. So re: the Fla weather causing cool pools-I doubt it.
I am not surprised that the mgmt. decided to lower the temp as a cost saver and as someone said here earlier-to get people into the parks!

I wonder what the temps at the water parks have been? I can't imagine them keeping those as low as the resort pools.

freediverdude
03-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Maybe they're just turning all of the pools into cold plunge spa baths, as an extra added "spa" feature for all of the resorts! We'll see this advertised soon as a new amenity. :rotfl2:

manning
03-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Markstudy,

I think yur email is way over the top. You can NOT get sick simply from swimming in cold water, it requires a virus or bacteria. Most likely picked up in the parks where you were in closer contact with people, more likely you touched an infected handrail then rubbed your face. I don't remember pool temps being officially published anywhere, Disney is not required to fully disclose company operations, no company is, nothing "sneaky" there.

It is letters like yours that give CMs the impression that DVCers will never be satisfied and have an entitlement mentality, and can, in the long run, do more harm than good.

I wonder how Markstudy came up with 5,000 complaints?

CarnotaurDad
03-16-2006, 12:46 PM
I dunno. I'm still not convinced. We were there in late January at SSR and swam in both the large pool and a quiet pool and they were both warm.

Could be just perception and everyone is feeding off of group-think?

I remember the long thread on the Dining Board when it was "rumored" that Disney was removing desserts from the Dining Plan. Everyone was upset, sending e-mails off to Disney saying they'll never be back, on and on and on. Turns out it was just some misinformation that spiraled out of control.

Don't get me wrong, I love the internet. But it is amazing how quickly rumors can become facts and then we act on those "facts" without ever getting confirmation.

mrsminniemouse
03-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Mandy-Thanks for starting this thread. I thought my blood was getting thinner!

I am amazed at the response! Obviously it is something that lots of people have noticed. I have never started such a long thread before!

mrsminniemouse
03-16-2006, 01:15 PM
I dunno. I'm still not convinced. We were there in late January at SSR and swam in both the large pool and a quiet pool and they were both warm.

I remember the long thread on the Dining Board when it was "rumored" that Disney was removing desserts from the Dining Plan. Everyone was upset, sending e-mails off to Disney saying they'll never be back, on and on and on. Turns out it was just some misinformation that spiraled out of control.

Don't get me wrong, I love the internet. But it is amazing how quickly rumors can become facts and then we act on those "facts" without ever getting confirmation.

Carnotaurdad, I am thinking that the policy change came some time in February. Maybe you were lucky that it didn't affect you. I really dont think you can blame it on perception. It truly was freezing in the pool at SSR last week. My DH who is never cold, was very reluctant to go due to the temperature and many, many people were complaining about it poolside.

I do partially agree with your last comment though. I think DVC/WDW are more likely to take complaints seriously from people who have actually experienced it and found it uncomfortable. I cannot imagine they will give any credibility to complaints received from people who are only able to say someone on the internet told me about it.

I can totally understand why people who have trips coming up are concerned about how this will affect their trip, maybe they want to enquire about this policy, but to complain based on the experiences of virtual strangers seems a bit OTT. Just my opinion of course. I did experience the uncomfortably cold pool at SSR and feel perfectly justified in complaining that it affected the quality of our stay there.

Maistre Gracey
03-16-2006, 01:17 PM

I'm with you. This may or may not be true, but I don't think we should whip ourselves into a frenzy over it until we know for sure. :smokin:

MG

KarenP99
03-16-2006, 01:45 PM
I cc'd Guest Relations with my email. I got the following response today:

Thank you for your email to the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We appreciate the time you took to contact us. When we receive
comments
from Guests, such as yours, they are shared with various areas of our
organization. This allows us to identify what we are doing right, and
what we can do better. You may be assured that your observations have
been shared and taken seriously.

If you should wish to discuss your comments further, or provide us with
additional details, you may call me at (407) 934-7765. If I am not
immediately available when you call, please leave your telephone number
and an indication of the best time to reach you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your honest and
constructive feedback. We hope to have future opportunities to
entertain you at our Resort.

Sincerely,

Executive Offices
Walt Disney World ® Resort

Maistre Gracey
03-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Hmmm... That appears to be a generic form letter. :smokin:

MG

KarenP99
03-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Hmmm... That appears to be a generic form letter. :smokin:

MG

That's all I was expecting. I hope that SSR is a bit warmer in May though! :wave2:

GGjertsen
03-16-2006, 01:57 PM
I don't complain about anything, but I just wrote member services about this. I just got back from BWV and the water was cold. My 2 and 3 year old daughters were shivering and crying after going in the clown pool. You can't tell them not to go in when you see the slide, elephants squirting water and they been talking about it for weeks prior to the trip. Really bad idea on Disney's part.

Also on a side note for you football fans: Peyton, Eli and Archie Manning along with Joey Porter and John Lynch were hanging out in the Bellvue Lounge until closing last week.

Gary

Maistre Gracey
03-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Also on a side note for you football fans: Peyton, Eli and Archie Manning along with Joey Porter and John Lynch were hanging out in the Bellvue Lounge until closing last week.

Was Peyton whining about something as he usually does? :teeth:

MG

jim and meesie
03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Just got out of the pool at Stormalong Bay. Beautiful hot, sunny day probably in the eighties for air temp, water was freezing!!!!! Everyone was commenting on it as they tried to go in, not many people actually swimming! It seems to be a real problem. My husband, having heard nothing about the grumblings on these dis boards commented, "It seems like Disney is cutting back on heating the pools!!" Two weeks ago at Hard Rock Hotel (at Universal) the pools very plenty warm, made you want to hang out in it all day!!!! Maybe that's the strategy, get the people out of the pools and into the parks.

CarnotaurDad
03-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Jim and Meesie,

Thanks for the update. Did you speak with the hotel manager or lifeguards at all? Just curious what their response would be.

Thanks!

magicmouse2
03-16-2006, 02:33 PM
I will be watching this thread carefully - and hopefully star to see some positi ve reports of Disney raising the pool temps again. I am extremely sensitive to cold and love swimming its the main part of my vacation. If they dont improve things I will not be taking my trip to WDW in December as planned. I will have to go October instead and mss out on Xmas parades. :furious:

corinnak
03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
I wonder what the temps at the water parks have been? I can't imagine them keeping those as low as the resort pools.

I was at TL last Friday and the water was warm and very pleasant indeed. We stayed at POFQ where the pool was pretty darned brisk. It seemed colder at night, too. Subjective, I know. ;) We were MUCH happier at TL, temperature-wise.

I can't speak for BB, but in the pictures the water always looks colder there. :rotfl:

Maistre Gracey
03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
I will have to go October instead and mss out on Xmas parades. :furious:
The Halloween parade is better! :teeth:

MG

GGjertsen
03-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Yea, the temperature of the pools

LIFERBABE
03-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Yea, the temperature of the pools

Maybe we can get Peyton to send an email!! I guess membership doesnt have its privileges. :confused3

Johnnie Fedora
03-16-2006, 08:57 PM
You should all know by now...a good DVCer suffers in silence. If the water's cold on your next trip, it's just the effects of the mass hysteria you exposed yourself to here on the DIS, and not the reality you experience first-hand.

I look forward to our upcoming trip to HH where the kid's favorite part of the vacation will be the warm pool at the Country Inn and Suites in Knoxville, TN.

Pretty sad!

lilstint
03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
I have also noticed that ALL the resort pools are getting MUCH colder. So cold, in fact, that we no longer find them enjoyable at all. POR and POFQ were so cold last February that even the kids would not go in. What a shame! A terrible decision to cut costs here IMO.

mathmagic
03-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Thank you for your email to the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We appreciate the time you took to contact us. When we receive
comments
from Guests, such as yours, they are shared with various areas of our
organization. This allows us to identify what we are doing right, and
what we can do better. You may be assured that your observations have
been shared and taken seriously.

If you should wish to discuss your comments further, or provide us with
additional details, you may call me at (407) 934-7765. If I am not
immediately available when you call, please leave your telephone number
and an indication of the best time to reach you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your honest and
constructive feedback. We hope to have future opportunities to
entertain you at our Resort.

Sincerely,

Executive Offices
Walt Disney World ® Resort

I received the exact same email from the same person.

I don't see the harm in telling Disney that IF what we are hearing is true, then there are many of us that will be disappointed. I don't think you need a first-hand experience to have credibility.

LisaS
03-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't see the harm in telling Disney that IF what we are hearing is true, then there are many of us that will be disappointed. I don't think you need a first-hand experience to have credibility.I agree. In the email I sent, I asked them to confirm whether or not the pool temperatures have been lowered. I stated that I currently have a reservation for Jan 2007 and am looking forward to going swimming, just as I have done on my past January trips. If the pools will be too cold to enjoy a January swim, I want to know now so I can change my reservation.

I don't want to wait until January to experience first hand that I should have changed my plans.

lilstint
03-17-2006, 10:40 AM
I agree. In the email I sent, I asked them to confirm whether or not the pool temperatures have been lowered. I stated that I currently have a reservation for Jan 2007 and am looking forward to going swimming, just as I have done on my past January trips. If the pools will be too cold to enjoy a January swim, I want to know now so I can change my reservation.

I don't want to wait until January to experience first hand that I should have changed my plans.

I'd be very interested in hearing the response you get to that! :thumbsup2 Please keep us posted.

AllNamesTaken
03-17-2006, 10:45 AM
What email address did you use? I would like to email and ask the same for my Nov trip. Maybe if we all start emailing they'll respond with action instead of just words.

keishashadow
03-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Perhaps I'm in the minority but, always thought Disney kept their pools too warm to be refreshing.

When @ WLV in Dec. the daytime air temp was in the low 60's and the pools were just steaming, looked like hot tubs.

Of course, we happily swim in our own pool when the water temp is in the low 70's. I guess it's a matter of preference.

LisaS
03-17-2006, 11:19 AM
What email address did you use? I would like to email and ask the same for my Nov trip. Maybe if we all start emailing they'll respond with action instead of just words.I sent it to the two email addresses that goldilocks_63 posted earlier in this thread. Here is her post: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=11888461&postcount=39

Several people have sent email and so far everyone has received the same canned response that just acknowledged that our email was received. As far as I know, nobody has had any real responses yet.

Sammie
03-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I sent it to the two email addresses that goldilocks_63 posted earlier in this thread. Here is her post: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=11888461&postcount=39

Several people have sent email and so far everyone has received the same canned response that just acknowledged that our email was received. As far as I know, nobody has had any real responses yet.

What do you consider a real response. I posted mine. :confused3

jarestel
03-17-2006, 11:48 AM
While you may not like the new policy, and are certainly welcome to make your feelings known, warnings in your letters of "member uprisings", etc., really make members look like a bunch of hostile yahoos, and are quite counter productive.

A note to interested parties re: member uprisings

Torches and pitchforks will be on sale at VWL from 5-1 to 5-8-2006. A 10% DVC member discount will be honored upon presentation of the DVC membership card. See jarestel in the VWL lobby if interested in acquiring uprising materials.

boatboatboat
03-17-2006, 11:55 AM
can we use our VWL torches at other resorts like the mugs?

harmonium
03-17-2006, 11:57 AM
You should all know by now...a good DVCer suffers in silence. If the water's cold on your next trip, it's just the effects of the mass hysteria you exposed yourself to here on the DIS, and not the reality you experience first-hand.

I look forward to our upcoming trip to HH where the kid's favorite part of the vacation will be the warm pool at the Country Inn and Suites in Knoxville, TN.

Pretty sad!

Are being serious or just sarcastic?

LIFERBABE
03-17-2006, 11:59 AM
A note to interested parties re: member uprisings

Torches and pitchforks will be on sale at VWL from 5-1 to 5-8-2006. A 10% DVC member discount will be honored upon presentation of the DVC membership card. See jarestel in the VWL lobby if interested in acquiring uprising materials.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I need 2 PitchForks and a Torch! I wont checkin until the end of the month, so can you have Bell Services hold mine for me? We plan on having our own little uprising in the BWV Hot Tub!

LisaS
03-17-2006, 12:07 PM
What do you consider a real response. I posted mine. :confused3Sorry Sammie. I didn't realize you had received more than the generic acknowledgement email. Can you post a link to the response that you received? Did you send to both email addresses and if so, which one responded? I sent to both but have not received anything other than the "thanks for your email" acknowledgement.

Sammie
03-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Sorry Sammie. I didn't realize you had received more than the generic acknowledgement email. Can you post a link to the response that you received? Did you send to both email addresses and if so, which one responded? I sent to both but have not received anything other than the "thanks for your email" acknowledgement.

I talked to a friend that works recreation at SSR and OKW. I was told that there was not a change in property wide pool temperatures that the pools were still set at 78-80 per Red Cross Standards.

The Beach Club is having some issues with a broken hot water pipe which is under repair and should be fixed soon.

harmonium
03-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I talked to a friend that works recreation at SSR and OKW. I was told that there was not a change in property wide pool temperatures that the pools were still set at 78-80 per Red Cross Standards.

The Beach Club is having some issues with a broken hot water pipe which is under repair and should be fixed soon.

Must be a pretty extensive problem. We were at SAB in Feb and every pool besides the hot tub and the kids pool by the kid slide were pretty chilly. Last year the entire pool was warm, but the halk the pool was closed for rehab. This year only the large hot tub was sectioned off.

No big. I am sure the pools will be nice and warmed for our 07' trip. Chilly water can't keep us away. :smooth:

DisneyBill
03-17-2006, 03:55 PM

If that is the case and there hasn't been any changes made, then it shouldn't be taking SO long for MS or the general WDW customer service to reply to emails. IMO

keishashadow
03-17-2006, 04:05 PM
FYI, when I was repeatedly pestering MS & WDW regarding adding the dining plan option last year (a sucess I might add!); rule of thumb was an automatic e-mail response within a day or 2.

Followed up w/a more specific (though, true-to-Disney fashion) generally evasive answer within a week or so.

Please post your replies.

Chuck S
03-17-2006, 04:11 PM
If that is the case and there hasn't been any changes made, then it shouldn't be taking SO long for MS or the general WDW customer service to reply to emails. IMO

It takes time to receive responses, often 2 to 3 weeks...longer sometimes.

AMcaptured
03-17-2006, 04:38 PM

Sammie I don't doubt what your friend told you but I don't believe what he said was true. Last Christmas, December 2004 the pool at SAB was not warm and they shut a section of the pool down after the 1st of the year to repair it. Or so they said.....

Fast forward to August 2005 and the pool was at least 90 degrees every day because according to the manager at SAB the only way they could fix the heater was to shut off the cooler. Honestly, I should have known this was a lie but that has nothing to do with this thread....He told me if I wanted it warm in the winter I was going to have to "suffer" with 90 degree water temperatures in the summer.

Fast Forward again to December 2006, SAB is freezing and it is a warm December, told they were "working SO hard" on trying to fix the heater but it wasn't working out. Supposedly the reason the hot tubs were closed after New Years was to fix the heater for SAB.

So I doubt it is a matter that is going to be corrected soon but IMO it should be fixed soon because they have been working on it for 16 months now.

Honestly, they don't make ANY money on us when we are sitting by the pool refilling our mugs. That IMO is the real reason the pool temps have been lowered.

Did you friend have a reason why guests are reporting that other resort pools are freezing too??? Does the SAB hot water pipe effect all pools property wide?

AM

Sammie
03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Sammie I don't doubt what your friend told you but I don't believe what he said was true. Last Christmas, December 2004 the pool at SAB was not warm and they shut a section of the pool down after the 1st of the year to repair it. Or so they said.....

Fast forward to August 2005 and the pool was at least 90 degrees every day because according to the manager at SAB the only way they could fix the heater was to shut off the cooler. Honestly, I should have known this was a lie but that has nothing to do with this thread....He told me if I wanted it warm in the winter I was going to have to "suffer" with 90 degree water temperatures in the summer.

Fast Forward again to December 2006, SAB is freezing and it is a warm December, told they were "working SO hard" on trying to fix the heater but it wasn't working out. Supposedly the reason the hot tubs were closed after New Years was to fix the heater for SAB.

So I doubt it is a matter that is going to be corrected soon but IMO it should be fixed soon because they have been working on it for 16 months now.

Honestly, they don't make ANY money on us when we are sitting by the pool refilling our mugs. That IMO is the real reason the pool temps have been lowered.

Did you friend have a reason why guests are reporting that other resort pools are freezing too??? Does the SAB hot water pipe effect all pools property wide?

AM

My friend has no reason to lie to me. In fact I don't have friends that lie to me.

You can believe what you wish to believe, I will comment no further on this.

As to the rest of this discussion I have no idea why any you even go to Disney or own DVC, if you truly believe that everyone is just trying to rip you off, why give them any of your money.

And when my friends let me know when the DVC at the Contemporary is going to be built I will just keep that to myself too; being it would not be true.

Sammie
03-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Must be a pretty extensive problem. We were at SAB in Feb and every pool besides the hot tub and the kids pool by the kid slide were pretty chilly. Last year the entire pool was warm, but the halk the pool was closed for rehab. This year only the large hot tub was sectioned off.

No big. I am sure the pools will be nice and warmed for our 07' trip. Chilly water can't keep us away. :smooth:

Since you were polite enough to respond civilly, I have sent you a PM explaining why it is taking so long to fix and the details.

boatboatboat
03-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Sammie if you would provide me with a PM,that will shed some light on this, I'll be your pal.

Linda/Ohio
03-17-2006, 05:14 PM
We just returned from Saratoga and when we checked in--we were told the pool was heated to 82 degrees. In the winter we go to warm climes as often as possible...so I am accustomed to heated pools. We utilized the Congress Park area pool and found it quite cool...almost cold. I only swam a length one time...the rest of the time was only able to take a quick dip. There were a number of people near the pool--but not a lot of people in it. I enjoyed sitting in the sun---but was looking forward to a warmer pool....

Of course there is that old stigma about warm pool water......I didn't find any warm spots!!!

Markstudy
03-17-2006, 05:51 PM

Thanks for your idea Sammie, I know you are trying to help. But something is bugging me.

I wouldn't have gotten mad if they had a little sign posted "sorry we are fixing the pools heater"

But when you have 14 LifeGuards standing around watching the cold water and making a sly smile when the guest complain that its too cold to swim? Well something doesn't quite smell right?

Disney is very good at posting signs when things are broke.
But....seems Disney is also very good at sneaking in cost-cutting programs. No signs anywhere to been seen :magnify:

Sammie
03-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks for your idea Sammie, I know you are trying to help. But something is bugging me.

I wouldn't have gotten mad if they had a little sign posted "sorry we are fixing the pools heater"

But when you have 14 LifeGuards standing around watching the cold water and making a sly smile when the guest complain that its too cold to swim? Well something doesn't quite smell right?

Disney is very good at posting signs when things are broke.
But....seems Disney is also very good at sneaking in cost-cutting programs. No signs anywhere to been seen :magnify:

My point is I have no reason to question the integrity of my friend. If he/she says there is a hot water problem then that is that. If it was a cost cutting procedure he/she would have said so. There is no benefit to her/him to state anything other that what is happening at that location.

My friend has also worked at Disney resorts for over 15 years, I seriously doubt any of the lifeguards have been there that long. Many of them enjoy jerking the chains of the guests and then running here to see if it made the "news" and laugh about it.

Believe what you want, as I said I will not continue to defend the validity of what I was told.

I am sure you have friends that work at other business or companies other than where you work. If you needed info on something involving that company you would ask your friend and unless it was government classified your friend would tell you what is going on. No reason not to, or put any "spin" on it. That is the case with my friend.

AMcaptured
03-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Sammie, I am not argueing with you that they don't have hot water at SAB. I happened to have experienced it FIRST hand. I don't need a friend that works at OKW to tell me what is happening at SAB. I have my own proof. However, that does not explain why all of the pools resort wide are being reported as significantly colder. Obviously something is going on. I have been staying at the YC/BC since it first opened in 1990 and in the winter months, the pool was always kept at 84. I can guarantee you that it is no longer being kept at that temperature.

If you believe I am being uncivilized that is unfortunate, I did not mean to be anything but civilized. I am just reporting what I have experienced and it is different than your friend is reporting to you.

AM

DrTomorrow
03-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Thank you, folks, for reminding me that my tinfoil hat needs to go in for a tune-up! :rotfl2:

Let's recap:

A very small number of DVCers (a dozen - maybe two) posted that the water at their resorts was cold in the winter. Exactly one poster has information that there has been a policy change dropping pool temperatures; exactly one poster has information that there has NOT been a policy change.

Based on these solid-as-the-rock-of-Gibraltar 'facts' - and despite (or because of ;) ) no immediate official response from Disney - a swarm of emails has found its way to Disney. Only a few of those responses were from folks who actually experienced the water; the rest are all of the "I heard a rumor on the Internet" variety. And to ice the cake, we have one letter-writer making implied threats to inform the media, go public with this news, and marshall the combined might of 5,000 (or was that 50,000) DVC owners (I liked the torch & pitchfork imagery!)

Please note: I am in favor of communicating any legitimate issues to Disney staff - and management, if necessary; of course, why people don't raise the issue while they are still there is beyond me. However, if anyone thinks "I'm sending you this complaining email because I heard some gossip on the DIS boards" helps create a positive image of DIS members in the minds of Disney, well, thanks for playing - better luck next time.

Once we have some official information, then member feedback is appropriate. Until then.... hold on .... sorry, got to go - the microwave transmissions from the alien satellites are breaking through the tinfoil....

IMHO - YMMV {[{}}

LIFERBABE
03-17-2006, 10:46 PM
:guilty: :guilty:

OK Doc I'll admit it! But in my defense, I did not invoke these boards in my email, nor did I threaten to get medieval on their ****! :rotfl2:

I did however place an order for 2 pitchforks and a torch to be held at Bell Services, just in case my babies need flotation devices in the new kiddie hot tub! :love:

Yeah! When you put it like that, it sounds pretty bad, but we were provoked!! (and a little bored :rotfl2: ):confused3

shantay1008
03-17-2006, 11:31 PM
...And sometimes we just need a little prodding to get motivated. I wondered why my little water dogs weren't begging to go in the pool more while we were there in Feb. (usually we can't drag them out of the water), so this thread (and the memory of their blue lips) made me sit up and take notice.

Perhaps the Powers-that-Be at DVC will find us irritating and silly, Doctor. But then again, in the future they might think twice about their methods when they remember the Cool Pool Fiasco.....

Shannon

AMcaptured
03-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Please note: I am in favor of communicating any legitimate issues to Disney staff - and management, if necessary; of course, why people don't raise the issue while they are still there is beyond me.

I did talk to the manager at the pool, as I talked to him about it being cold the year before and hot as hell during the previous summer. I'm not sure if there is anything the manager of SAB can do about it but wait until the next dept or managers meeting and mention he has gotten complaints about it.

I think it is good that people who have experienced it first hand write a letter directly to the resort and let them know their disappointment.

DVC'ers are not the only ones mentioning this problem, DISers are reporting it over on the resorts board as well. It seems to be a problem resort wide that is why I don't think it is "just" a hot water pipe at SAB that is causing this.

AM

goldilocks_63
03-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Jackie at DVC management called and she was great.... Basically, she said that the pool policy is to follow the American Red Cross standards of 78-80 degrees, but that the matter had been presented to the recreation dept. management....

She could or would not answer whether the pool temps had been lowered....

Then got a hostile WDW management type, who again repeated the Amer. Red Cross mantra, and also wouldn't respond to gossip about the pool temp being lowered....

But I think that it's interesting that I got a phone call, and no email (so I can't post the response), and both refused to answer directly my question, if the policy change lowered the pool temps from 84 ish to 78-80, and two, if there was a survery done.

I'm droping this for now, because it's making me crazy. I'm going to OKW on 3/28, and plan on bringing a pool thermometer.

I have over 1,000 points, and had plan on spending 6 months every winter at DVC as my long term retirement plan, but am now rethinking that.

Again, for me, cold pools is a dealbreaker.

Unhappy, Goldi

LisaS
03-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks for posting what you were told. I find it interesting that they mention they follow the American Red Cross standards of 78-80 degrees when several people have posted they believe Disney standards were 82-84 degrees. Based on what I've read on the web about comfortable pool temperatures, 78-80 works well for people swimming laps or training for the Olympics but is generally believed to be too cold for people just splashing around in the pool.

ETA: Did they call you today (i.e., on a Saturday) or did you get the call yesterday?

goldilocks_63
03-18-2006, 09:13 AM
And yes, I did argue that we weren't exercising, or doing laps, that it was a recreation pool, and that I would prefer it warmer to balance my margarita....

and to have it warm, so my kids would play and I could take a break....

It is painful for me as a Mom to watch them come out cold, shivering, and whiny because they want to swim, but it's really to cold. I want some relaxtion time, and this is just more work for me.

Goldi

Chuck S
03-18-2006, 10:03 AM
So, if they don't follow the Red Cross guidelines, they leave themselves open to possibly being sued for "unsafe pool temps" (people are sue crazy in todays society) and if they have relatively safe Red Cross pool temps they have unhappy guests. Rock and Hard Place type of situation, huh?

LisaS
03-18-2006, 10:09 AM
So, if they don't follow the Red Cross guidelines, they leave themselves open to possibly being sued for "unsafe pool temps" (people are sue crazy in todays society) and if they have relatively safe Red Cross pool temps they have unhappy guests. Rock and Hard Place type of situation, huh?Thought it was time to go take a look at what the Red Cross has to say. Here are the Red Cross' guidelines on pool temperatures (from: http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/aquatics/FAQ.htm)

What is a safe temperature for a home pool?
Recommended water temperatures for the type of activity ranges from 78°F for fitness swimming, 82°F for recreational swimming and 86°F for water therapy. However, there is no recommended water temperature for residential pools — what it boils down to is individual comfort and preference. Although, please note that high water temperatures can present water quality issues.

Chuck S
03-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Thought it was time to go take a look at what the Red Cross has to say. Here are the Red Cross' guidelines on pool temperatures (from: http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/aquatics/FAQ.htm)

Recommended water temperatures for the type of activity ranges from 78°F for fitness swimming, 82°F for recreational swimming and 86°F for water therapy. However, there is no recommended water temperature for residential pools — what it boils down to is individual comfort and preference. Although, please note that high water temperatures can present water quality issues.

I think HOME pool is the key word in your post. There is a difference in risk between you and a few friends in a home pool versus a crowded resort pool.

LisaS
03-18-2006, 10:19 AM
I think HOME pool is the key word in your post. There is a difference in risk between you and a few friends in a home pool versus a crowded resort pool.I've seen similar temperature guidelines posted on other sites for public pools where the recommended temperature for casual use (vs. fitness swimming or lap swimming) was 84 degrees. I would hope that resort pools and public pools are well managed and probably better managed than many home pools.

Chuck S
03-18-2006, 10:27 AM
The Association for Pool & Spa Professionals recommend 78 to 82 for commercial/public pools.

AMcaptured
03-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Honestly, I don't think many people are using SAB as a work out facility. People go to SAB to relax and enjoy the day.

I am with Goldi completely on this matter, a cold pool is a deal breaker for me. I can go anywhere after Christmas on vacation and if the Disney resort pools are going to permenently be lowered to 78 degrees, I will go elsewhere.

AM

Johnnie Fedora
03-18-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm droping this for now, because it's making me crazy. I'm going to OKW on 3/28, and plan on bringing a pool thermometer.
You'd have to bring your own, I've never seen one at any resort pool.

BTW, if your thermometer reads 76 degrees, you'll probably be told your thermometer is wrong because in order to comply with the Red Cross recommendations, Disney resorts strictly adhere to the National Bureau of Standards recommendations for thermemeter calibration. :rolleyes:

You should know that when it comes to the DIS...the only "true" rumors about WDW are the positive ones.

Johnnie Fedora
03-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Are being serious or just sarcastic?

That can't be determined till after my next trip.

Happy Birthday Cat
03-18-2006, 10:46 AM
You should know that when it comes to the DIS...the only "true" rumors about WDW are the positive ones.

I hear that the new pool at the Contemporary DVC will be 86 degrees all the time.;)

HBC

Johnnie Fedora
03-18-2006, 10:48 AM
I hear that the new pool at the Contemporary DVC will be 86 degrees all the time.;)

HBC
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: exactly!!

CapeCodFam
03-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Maybe I'm just an ignorant northerner... But, when did 78-80 degrees become considered cold? From my perspective, it sounds downright warm. (especially since our beaches and pools don't normally get that warm ;) ).
I suspect current air temperature plays a part in how the pool 'feels'.

Anyway, if it means more tables/chairs are open for use.... :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

LisaS
03-18-2006, 11:18 AM
The Association for Pool & Spa Professionals recommend 78 to 82 for commercial/public pools.The APSP is a professional organization for people who sell and install swimming pools. If someone is selling pools and showing perspective buyers a chart of what it will cost to heat that pool, I doubt they are going to recommend keeping the pool at 84 degrees.

As another example of this, I've found several web sites that stated in effect "the Red Cross recommends 78 degrees as the ideal temperature for swimming". Every one of those turned out to be a website for companies that sell pool heaters! They went on to say how much your energy costs will rise for every additional degree and that for energy conservation and cost savings you should keep the pool at 78 degrees.

I've also seen several comments on various websites that 78 degrees is too cold for small children and elderly people. So if Disney's guidelines are 78-82 degrees, then any time the pool is at the lower end of that temperature range, it is too cold for young kids and grandma and grandpa to be in the pool.

Chuck S
03-18-2006, 11:22 AM
The APSP is a professional organization for people who sell and install swimming pools. If someone is selling pools and showing perspective buyers a chart of what it will cost to heat that pool, I doubt they are going to recommend keeping the pool at 84 degrees.

As another example of this, I've found several web sites that stated in effect "the Red Cross recommends 78 degrees as the ideal temperature for swimming". Every one of those turned out to be a website for companies that sell pool heaters! They went on to say how much your energy costs will rise for every additional degree and that for energy conservation and cost savings you should keep the pool at 78 degrees.

I've also seen several comments on various websites that 78 degrees is too cold for small children and elderly people. So if Disney's guidelines are 78-82 degrees, then any time the pool is at the lower end of that temperature range, it is too cold for young kids and grandma and grandpa to be in the pool.

Actually, it was in APSP's PDF on POOL SAFETY, it had nothing to do with cost effectiveness. They also recommended 104 for Hot Tubs and Spas.

LisaS
03-18-2006, 12:06 PM
They also recommended 104 for Hot Tubs and Spas.Yep, I've seen that same number mentioned on numerous sites as well but I have yet to find anything that recommends keeping a swimming pool below 82 degrees for safety reasons. I can't find the APSP's safety brochure so if you can post a link to it, I would appreciate it. I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm genuinely interested in this issue.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at some documents on the CDC website. The only pool temperature-related safety info I could find was the same reference to maximum spa temperatures and some comments about how as you increase the water temperature of your pool or spa, be aware that the rate of evaporation of disinfectant chemicals also increases.

Everything I've seen so far on maintaining a safe pool talks about the use of chemicals to combat the sort of stuff you don't want to think about being in that pool, if you know what I mean. I guess for the sorts of things the CDC cares about, keeping the pool at 78-82 degrees vs 84 degrees is not going to make much of a difference.

boatboatboat
03-18-2006, 12:12 PM
the red cross recomends I don't eat beef fat.

gawd i love that little end piece on a t-bone........

smjj
03-18-2006, 12:24 PM
When it comes down to it WDW is going to do what they want. As for us DVC members complaining, so what. We are a unique group who chat on forums like this and have a financial stake in it. It is only natural that we will be more informed than the casual WDW vacationer. When we talk about things like this is it going to get some people more worked up than others and that is a good thing. If companies just did what they wanted with no fear of a consumer backlash and I put Disney in this family, its hard telling how far they would go. I say, if you have a complaint, then voice it to the management and try to get others onboard like is happening here. As to Disney's excuse about keeping pool temps. to a set level based on the Anerican Red Cross standard, oh bolongy!! Thats a "easy out" for them at best. That may be at best a recommended setting but try and lounge around in that temp. and let your littles ones play in it and see how it feels. I use the pool to lounge in, not do laps. If they use it as an excuse, then why now, why not 6 months ago, why not last year or the year before that? No they want to save a buck at our expense and nothing more than that...smjj

boatboatboat
03-18-2006, 12:30 PM
I wonder what % of SAB users are DVC owners vs people paying cash for the Beach/yacht club or renting a villa from disney or a dvc member.

I bet the majority who use the pool are NOT DVC members.....

The company I work for has a trip to the beach club every year. many many companies use this as a convention resort.

jim and meesie
03-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I posted earlier in the week while I was staying at BCV. All the pools at BC were COLD including SAB and it was a warm week. Yesterday we went to Blizzard Beach and the water was quite definitely warmer, but not really warm. Two weeks ago at Hard Rock Hotel (similarly warm week) their pool was nice and warm!!! Now we are at Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa in Ft. Myers. Pool is nice & warm! Based on my unscientific survey, BC pools are cold and other non Disney Florida resort pools are comfortably warm. Just an opinion based on the past two weeks. Next week I'll be in the Keys for a couple of days and I will complete the informal Florida resort pool survey.

DISNEY123
03-18-2006, 04:07 PM
I have been a long time reader of this message board. In fact, I used many of the ideas a lot of you post to plan our vacation and even was convinced to join DVC based largely on your experiences.

This is only my third post (all on this topic). Again, I was one who experienced the water first hand. The water was too cold. Maybe 78.

Since I have maintained a pool at my home for 25 years, I can tell the difference between 78-80 and 82 to 84. Also, I have seen hundreds of reactions at my home to the water temp as people enter the pool. If the water temp is below 82, most people, not all, are going to say its "a little cold or chilly"

I have read the excuses(hot water pipe, etc.) that people have posted and we were told by a lifeguard that the heat the pool to 78-80. My opinion is the heaters are working fine...they are just set too low. It's not rocket science. A pool heater has a thermostat similiar to the furnace in your home. If they set it to 78 degrees, the heater will turn off if the water rises above that temp and vice versa.

When I joined DVC, I certainly was not expecting a resort that charges up to $500/night to keep the pool at a temp similiar to the motel at your local highway exit. I hope this policy changes, and again, a I don't think we asking for 86-88 degree water. 82-84 would be fine.

simzac
03-18-2006, 04:13 PM
I have been a long time reader of this message board. In fact, I used many of the ideas a lot of you post to plan our vacation and even was convinced to join DVC based largely on your experiences.

This is only my third post (all on this topic). Again, I was one who experienced the water first hand. The water was too cold. Maybe 78.

Since I have maintained a pool at my home for 25 years, I can tell the difference between 78-80 and 82 to 84. Also, I have seen hundreds of reactions at my home to the water temp as people enter the pool. If the water temp is below 82, most people, not all, are going to say its "a little cold or chilly"

I have read the excuses(hot water pipe, etc.) that people have posted and we were told by a lifeguard that the heat the pool to 78-80. My opinion is the heaters are working fine...they are just set too low. It's not rocket science. A pool heater has a thermostat similiar to the furnace in your home. If they set it to 78 degrees, the heater will turn off if the water rises above that temp and vice versa.

When I joined DVC, I certainly was not expecting a resort that charges up to $500/night to keep the pool at a temp similiar to the motel at your local highway exit. I hope this policy changes, and again, a I don't think we asking for 86-88 degree water. 82-84 would be fine.
I agree :thumbsup2

Linda/Ohio
03-18-2006, 08:35 PM
I experienced the water first hand March 11-15. It was warm in Orlando-about 85 although certainly cooler at night. I live in Ohio--so I understand cold temperatures. I also have a hot tub--which we use winter and summer--so I know what temps feel ok to lounge around in....

My first thought while a SSR was that perhaps the pool water was cool due to it getting colder at night...but the CM at check-in it specifically mentioned that the pool was heated to 82 degrees---and I would assume that meant 82 degrees all the time.

We vacation frequently this time of year--in Florida, a cruise or on an island and I usually spend a lot of time in the pool--if water is warm. This time I dipped in and pretty much got out to get warmed back up.

Heck I had a fabulous time at WDW--but certainly can add my 2 cents.

ZippyDooDah
03-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Just conferring with the cooler water temps. We were in the pools at SSR on Jan. 29-Feb. 2 and it was too cool for me. DH and DS2 got in for a little bit, but we spent most of our time in the hot tub which was very comfortable.

And we also noticed something fishy about the AC in the room. We typically like it cool at night so we can cuddle up with the covers. It seemed at some point during the night (and days while we were in the parks) that the AC would almost go back to a default setting.

Hmmmmm...

jim and meesie
03-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Exactly!!!

tmt martins
03-18-2006, 09:41 PM
And we also noticed something fishy about the AC in the room. We typically like it cool at night so we can cuddle up with the covers. It seemed at some point during the night (and days while we were in the parks) that the AC would almost go back to a default setting.

Hmmmmm...

sorry I'm going:offtopic: Thats not fishy it's how a motion system works they must have it tied into the AC not the lights.

No movement it goes default that way if no ones in the room ( not rented ) then they are not wasting $$$ also helps keep the very low setters from just letting it run all day.

Now with that said I think you can call and have it switched off or just put a Balloon by the AC and sensor if you can find it .The AC will keep the balloon moving and the sensor working.

Markstudy
03-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm going to OKW on 3/28, and plan on bringing a pool thermometer.

I have over 1,000 points, and had plan on spending 6 months every winter at DVC as my long term retirement plan, but am now rethinking that.

Again, for me, cold pools is a dealbreaker.

Unhappy, Goldi

Wow... Thanks for the info. I hope you have a great trip and thanks for taking your thermometer. I'll bring mine, next trip also.

I've heard of the Monorail being used for the "Drinking Tour".... I guess it is only a matter of time before we can get someone out there to do a "Monorail Thermometer Tour" of Disney pools :thumbsup2

Does anyone have old data or advertising documents that use the 84 degrees heated pool as a selling point?

Just a matter of time before we have a Web Site that keeps track of Disney pool temps. www.is-disney-Cheating?.com

manning
03-18-2006, 10:37 PM
can we use our VWL torches at other resorts like the mugs?

And is usage limited to only the stay you bought them?? :rolleyes1

manning
03-18-2006, 10:44 PM
We just returned from Saratoga and when we checked in--we were told the pool was heated to 82 degrees. In the winter we go to warm climes as often as possible...so I am accustomed to heated pools. We utilized the Congress Park area pool and found it quite cool...almost cold. I only swam a length one time...the rest of the time was only able to take a quick dip. There were a number of people near the pool--but not a lot of people in it. I enjoyed sitting in the sun---but was looking forward to a warmer pool....

Of course there is that old stigma about warm pool water......I didn't find any warm spots!!!

That explains it. there weren't many people in the pools. :banana:

manning
03-18-2006, 10:50 PM
:guilty: :guilty:

OK Doc I'll admit it! But in my defense, I did not invoke these boards in my email, nor did I threaten to get medieval on their ****! :rotfl2:

I did however place an order for 2 pitchforks and a torch to be held at Bell Services, just in case my babies need flotation devices in the new kiddie hot tub! :love:

Yeah! When you put it like that, it sounds pretty bad, but we were provoked!! (and a little bored :rotfl2: ):confused3

Did you order it already lit or did you order the starter kit? It could get warm
at bell services.

Chuck S-- Things are looking up. We may now be able to get rooms at BCV under the 7 month window. Think we can get them to lower it to 65? :bounce:

harmonium
03-19-2006, 06:40 AM
"78 degrees is too cold for small children and elderly people."

Wow, how do most people survive childhood? I have used pools where the temp was 70 or below ever since I was old enough to use a pool. Just because the Red Cross or some Pool Heater manufacturer writes down that a pool SHOULD be a certain temp for the safety of the young and old does not make it so. Our trip to WDW was more chilly than usual this Feb. The temp sank to 37 degrees one night and only rose to 72 on another, yet we still had 3-4 days of decent weather to take dips in the pools and hot tubs. Yes the temp was less than 82, but it didn't make me, my DW, or my DD (7) sick. All the guests I saw in the pool were having a blast. There was even a CM running around with a super soaker (loaded with pool water) shooting at the guests.

boatboatboat
03-19-2006, 08:07 AM
harmonium if you had your choice of 2 pools, one at 78 and one at 84, which would you choose?

IMO people who have paid 300 dollars to sleep in a bed one night, use a bus for the day, and swim in a pool, should have a pool that would be the temp. that the majority of people would choose.

So which would you choose, 78 or 84?

LisaS
03-19-2006, 09:30 AM
"78 degrees is too cold for small children and elderly people."

Wow, how do most people survive childhood? I have used pools where the temp was 70 or below ever since I was old enough to use a pool. Just because the Red Cross or some Pool Heater manufacturer writes down that a pool SHOULD be a certain temp for the safety of the young and old does not make it so. Our trip to WDW was more chilly than usual this Feb. The temp sank to 37 degrees one night and only rose to 72 on another, yet we still had 3-4 days of decent weather to take dips in the pools and hot tubs. Yes the temp was less than 82, but it didn't make me, my DW, or my DD (7) sick. All the guests I saw in the pool were having a blast. There was even a CM running around with a super soaker (loaded with pool water) shooting at the guests.In the posts where I saw that advice they did not specify ages. I assumed they meant very young kids, maybe the 5 and under crowd?

Many websites also advised caution when letting children use hot tubs. Apparently 10 minutes in a 104-degree hot tub is enough to raise a young child's body temperature to 104 degrees. This can also be an issue for some elderly people as well. I guess for the very young and the very old, the body doesn't regulate its temperature very well.

Mickeysduck
03-19-2006, 10:03 AM
We go for 2 weeks every year, the first 2 weeks of March.

Last year, the pool at BWV was very warm. Too warm to be refreshing. My guess is that it at least 86. Not very refreshing.

This year, the water felt great to us, just like home for most of our summers in New England. My guess would be around 78. Daytime temps averaged around 80, so it was only a few degrees below air temp. It was great after sitting in the hot sun to cool off in the pool. The main pools at BWV and SSR were packed, so it didn't seem to bother most people there. The quiet pools looked just about as busy as any other year, a few people complained and a few thought it was fine.

We like the cooler temps for the pools, but again, we are from New England and swim in the ocean where water temps rarly gets above 70.

drakethib
03-19-2006, 10:21 AM
I would hope that all who is complaining about the pools being to cold will politely voice their concerns to Disney or DVC.

We all spend a great deal of money with the mouse and we should be comfortable while we stay there.

Machta
03-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I'd like to bump this up--anyone who's been in the pool/s the past week, what's your experience been? We were in SAB the last week of January, and as other posters have mentioned, it wasn't what you'd call warm. "Bracing" might be a kind adjective! Anyone with very recent experiences to share?

harmonium
03-19-2006, 03:26 PM
harmonium if you had your choice of 2 pools, one at 78 and one at 84, which would you choose?

IMO people who have paid 300 dollars to sleep in a bed one night, use a bus for the day, and swim in a pool, should have a pool that would be the temp. that the majority of people would choose.

So which would you choose, 78 or 84?

My point is that it was implied that a certain temp is going to be harmful or dangerous for the young or elderly. Whether I would select 78 or 84 is moot, but since you asked so nicely I would choose 78 on a hot day and 84 on a cool day. I like to base my actions on my surroundings.

I sympathize with you when it comes to paying for something and not getting what was advertised or promised. I admit that I was a little disappointed the water was not warmer in the main pool, but it was still warm enough to keep me swimming.

Were you there recently or are you going sometime soon? If you did go did you make it a point to say something to the manager?

slp87
03-19-2006, 03:34 PM
We were at SAB 3/8 - 3/12 and thought the water was cold!! DD got used to it, but DH who will usually get in at least once, never got in. There was no way I could handle it, I had to settle for the hot tub. (the 2 upper ones are still closed) Many people were talking about how cold the water was. We went to TL on 3/17 and the lazy river was definitely heated!! It felt great!

boatboatboat
03-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Were you there recently or are you going sometime soon? If you did go did you make it a point to say something to the manager?

going 5-27 for a day, then a transfer to bwv.

heck by then it will be so hot, i'll HOPE it's 78.

AMcaptured
03-19-2006, 04:03 PM
We were at SAB 3/8 - 3/12 and thought the water was cold!! DD got used to it, but DH who will usually get in at least once, never got in. There was no way I could handle it, I had to settle for the hot tub. (the 2 upper ones are still closed) Many people were talking about how cold the water was. We went to TL on 3/17 and the lazy river was definitely heated!! It felt great!

This completely validates my belief that Disney isn't making any money off of us when we are sitting by the pool. But they are making money off of guests when they go to Typhoon Lagoon and people would never pay the daily admission charge to go there if the water wasn't warm.

Perhaps we should pay a daily user fee to get the water temperatures back up to an acceptable level at the resort pools??

The sad part is in a few weeks, when spring continues to keep the nights and days much warmer, SAB's water will become absolutely boiling hot and will not be refreshing at all.

AM

MOQu
03-19-2006, 04:49 PM
We stayed at SSR and Universal's RPH during President's week. SSR's main pool and Congress Park pool were both way too cold for DS2. His lips were blue and he was shivering. And the weather was warm (In the mid 80's.)

If the reports of cold pools are still happening next year, we will stay less nights at WDW and more nights at Universal where the pool was WONDERFUL! I also won't be adding on any points to stay at a resort with cold pools.

Linda/Ohio
03-19-2006, 07:04 PM
If making money is an issue--why not warm up the pool and then serve food and drinks? A lot of resorts rack up cash that way.

rbuzzotta
03-19-2006, 07:15 PM
This is really disturbing to me that they are lowering the water temperatures in the pools!! I NEED a heated pool or I do not go in!!! My kids and DH always tease me about not going in the water if it is tooo cold (84 or below!) We usually vacation during the summer months and believe it or not some days the water is just too nippy for me even then!!!

We rented/tranferred out points for our 2006 year and planned to keep at least 2 wks worth for ourselves!! We spend every day at the pools!!!! NOt much park time for us anymore!! I may have to reconsider renting out the rest of my points!! LOL!! and use the cash for Hawaii!!!!

CarnotaurDad
03-19-2006, 07:59 PM
For those who are new to this thread, please keep in mind:

THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED!!!!!

Arrrgggghhh!!!!!

This is why, for as much as I love the internet, it drives me crazy.

This is an UNCONFIRMED rumor. Trust me, if this becomes confirmed, I will be glad to write, protest, whatever to Disney.

In the meantime, let's take everything with a grain of salt.

JMHO

harmonium
03-19-2006, 08:24 PM
If the reason for the pools not being heated is what you are referring to as "not confirmed" then I agree. However, I was there in Feb 06 and the main pool was most definitely not up to 82-84. The pool by the kiddie slide was at least 84. We sat in that a while as DD had fun talking it up with other kids and going down the slide.

I do not know if a protest is in order, but a call or letter to the BC/YC might be helpful. An explaination from the manager would be nice. A sign explaining the cause would be great. I am surprised that there was not a sign posted in the first place.

AllyBri
03-19-2006, 08:56 PM
For those who are new to this thread, please keep in mind:

THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED!!!!!

Arrrgggghhh!!!!!

This is why, for as much as I love the internet, it drives me crazy.

This is an UNCONFIRMED rumor. Trust me, if this becomes confirmed, I will be glad to write, protest, whatever to Disney.

In the meantime, let's take everything with a grain of salt.

JMHO

There will be no official announcement from DVC-Disney on the temp. of the pools. This was something they tried out this winter. Will they do it again next year? I have no idea.
With the Spring-Summer coming, it should not be an issue.

AMcaptured
03-19-2006, 09:24 PM
There will be no official announcement from DVC-Disney on the temp. of the pools. This was something they tried out this winter. Will they do it again next year? I have no idea.
With the Spring-Summer coming, it should not be an issue.

If this is something they decided to "try out", I wonder why they didn't lower the water temperatures of the water parks???

If this is something Disney decided they could pull over on guests, I can't even begin to tell you how much that upsets me. Actually, it infuriates me! For Disney to think, in their corporate offices, that guests are SO stupid to not notice that the pool is freezing is not only insulting but it also tells me that they have NO concern for its most loyal customers overall guest satisfaction.

Makes me personally wonder just how much the actually value our patronage.

As for the poster that said these were unconfirmed rumors, sorry, it has been confirmed by more that a dozen different posters.

I wouldn't be surprised however to never get official word from Disney, I have been there during hurricane season and I know how hard it is to get an offical word out of their mouths.

AM

jade1
03-19-2006, 09:51 PM
For Disney to think, in their corporate offices, that guests are SO stupid to not notice that the pool is freezing is not only insulting but it also tells me that they have NO concern for its most loyal customers overall guest satisfaction.
AM

:stir: WE WANT EISNER! WE WANT EISNER! WE WANT EISNER! :stir:

LisaS
03-19-2006, 10:36 PM
With the Spring-Summer coming, it should not be an issue.Thanks so much for posting this. Can you elaborate at all? Has the negative feedback from this experiment had any effect at all?

Markstudy
03-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Looks like one of the LifeGuards from Stormaling Bay just joined our chat over in the Resorts section.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1061224

I wonder if any of you might have a question for him?

YBCM
Earning My Ears
I am a lifeguard at Stormalong Bay. It is an AWESOME pool, but it is chlorine. It is a common misconception the the pool is salt water, and when it first opened a small part of it was salt. The whole pool is chlorine now. But it is lots and lots of fun!

CarnotaurDad
03-20-2006, 05:06 AM
I respectfully disagree that it has been confirmed by Disney. Reading all the threads, there are some people who spoke with Disney CMs that said the pool had been turned down. Then, there are some people who spoke with Disney CMs who said the pool temperature has not been turned down. This, to me, is not confirmation from Disney.

Heck, if every time a CM said something was an indication of confirmation, we would have about twelve different theme parks with monorails from each theme park to every resort. The bus drivers alone tell different rumors every day. That doesn't indicate confirmation, just speculation.

Again, JMHO.

mathmagic
03-20-2006, 08:06 AM
This is the official response I received from my email to DVC:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns regarding the temperature of our resort
pools. Based on American Red Cross recommendations, we are heating our resort swimming pools at
78-80 degrees during the winter months. Please note that water temperature is monitored throughout
the day so that we may maintain this recommended temperature. Since the average air temperature can be cool in Florida during the winter months, you may wish to be mindful of the current temperature
when using the pools. In addition, The Walt Disney Company is focused on continually finding ways
to be environmentally conscious and participative. By maintaining our resort swimming pools at 80
degrees during the winter months, we contribute greatly toward conserving valuable energy sources.

Thank you again for contacting us. We are glad you are a Member of our Disney Vacation Club family, and we look forward to entertaining you for many years to come.

CarnotaurDad
03-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks, mathmagic, for the DVC response. I have no issue (personally) with 78 - 80 degrees. Appreciate you sharing the e-mail response.

Terry S
03-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Just returned from SSR where the pool was too cold to go in in my opinion. My parents were at Pop Century the week before and also said that pool was too cold to go in.

toesmom
03-20-2006, 08:29 AM
I've just received my response from DVC about the pool temps and I don't know how to copy it over here, but in a nutshell, ... "in the winter months, as per red cross standards, pool temperatures will be at 78 to 80 degrees in order to be environmentally conscious and maintained at that temperature and that should conserve valuable energy sources"

I think 80 degrees is too cold personally. Heated pools (I mean "warm" ) in winter was one of the reasons why we purchased DVC originally and now that January holiday is probably a thing of the past for our family.

Johnnie Fedora
03-20-2006, 08:30 AM

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns regarding the temperature of our resort
pools. Based on American Red Cross recommendations, we are heating our resort swimming pools at
78-80 degrees during the winter months. Please note that water temperature is monitored throughout
the day so that we may maintain this recommended temperature. Since the average air temperature can be cool in Florida during the winter months, you may wish to be mindful of the current temperature
when using the pools. In addition, The Walt Disney Company is focused on continually finding ways
to be environmentally conscious and participative. By maintaining our resort swimming pools at 80
degrees during the winter months, we contribute greatly toward conserving valuable energy sources.

Thank you again for contacting us. We are glad you are a Member of our Disney Vacation Club family, and we look forward to entertaining you for many years to come.
Excuse me fellow DISers, but I speak Disneyease:

Allow me to translate: "We don't mind passing along each and every operating/maintenence cost increase to the DVC members, but we are going to draw the line at a comfortable pool temerature. Thank you for your membership, but we don't care if the major DVC resort ammenitiy is usable to you during your winter stay."

Have a magical day!!

jade1
03-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Trust me, if this becomes confirmed, I will be glad to write, protest, whatever to Disney.

JMHO

Thanks, mathmagic, for the DVC response. I have no issue (personally) with 78 - 80 degrees. Appreciate you sharing the e-mail response.JMHO

:confused3

smjj
03-20-2006, 08:58 AM
I just got the same canned response from DVC that Mathmagic got. I e-mailed them a few days ago. I would respond to it but I would probably get more of a response by complaining to my pet dog. American Red Cross standard double talk is all it is. Let them try lounging abound in a pool that is 78 to 80 degrees or let their kids play in it and see how long they last...smjj

Toxman
03-20-2006, 08:58 AM
We are new members and I have been reading this thread with interest. I am bothered by several things. For one thing Disney's response does say that the pool temps are at 78 to 80 now but it is my understanding that the temps used to be kept at 82 to 84 degrees. So in essence they have dropped them from 2 to 6 degrees average. Quite a difference when looking at the extreme ends of the numbers. The response doesn't address what the temps used to be, just parrotting the recommendations from the Red Cross, a fine resplonse but it doesn't answer whether the have actually decreased the temps. And yes I do believe that Disney would try to sneak this past the members. I was around when Disney decided to get rid of the extra morning hours for on site guests until the hue and cry arose about it. The official line at that time was that that is what the guests wanted. We are looking forward to our first visit as members in the next several months so the cooler pools won't affect us but I also feel that at some point we will want to take a vaca during the winter/cooler times of year and I know that we will want to swim in a warm pool. The powers that be need to know that they really can't
insult our intelligence and make the members feel like loons when an obvious change is made. Off my soapbox for now. Thanks for listening.

corinnak
03-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Excuse me fellow DISers, but I speak Disneyease:

Allow me to translate: "We don't mind passing along each and every operating/maintenence cost increase to the DVC members, but we are going to draw the line at a comfortable pool temerature. Thank you for your membership, but we don't care if the major DVC resort ammenitiy is usable to you during your winter stay."

Have a magical day!!

Yup, I think that's about the size of it. But maybe we should take the philosophical DVC stance on this - Even a coldish Disney pool is better than an empty pool back home in the frozen north! At least they haven't drained it and roped it off in the winter months like so many hotels do (though come to think of it, wouldn't that be even MORE environmentally friendly?). AND you always have the option of a short bus ride to a pool that is comfortably heated for an additional fee! :sad2:

DisneyBill
03-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Dear Mr. Lewis...

Frankiesmom
03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
We just bought in at the end of Jan. We had returned from a land/sea at the beginning of Jan. We stayed at the POLY and we had a wonderful stay! One of the things we enjoyed most was how nice and hot the pools were at nite. I guess this is going to be a thing of the past and I for one can really say that I am really bummed about this-we bought in because of the great time we had-the lower crowds in Jan. and the thought that it was so nice to swim at nite in the warm pool. This really stinks. Angel

mstec
03-20-2006, 09:23 AM
"Thank you for your e-mail.

the day so that we may maintain this recommended temperature. Since the average air temperature can
be cool in Florida during the winter months, you may wish to be mindful of the current temperature
degrees during the winter months, we contribute greatly toward conserving valuable energy sources."

I'm disappointed with the response from them. They mention the Red Cross, I assume, to try to give some weight to the argument, however, I'm not still not clear WHY the Red Cross recommends this...How then can ANY hotel have hot tubs, if temps above 80 degrees are not recommended? If it is a bacteria issue, then won't more clorination aleviate the problem? :confused3 Regarding the "conserving valuable energy sources" let's face it, they are really saying, we are trying to conserve our capital resources. The bottom line is if the pools are going to be operated, they need to be operated at a temp that allows their use. If they are too cold to use, then why bother at all? We pay good money to go on vacation and SWIM. Argh!! I better calm down. It's too early to be this aggrevated. :mad:

LIFERBABE
03-20-2006, 09:25 AM
I received the same response and I do believe it is double talk!

They can run gas guzzling busses every 15 minutes but now they are concerned about the environment!! I am totally peeved!

And yes they did lower the temps! If a hot tub can operate at 104F then this is not an health issue either.

They do pass along all sorts of cost to the membership, so why draw the line at a comfortably heated pool?

If this is the case, then lets just get rid of the lifeguards from November to February and really save the membership some money!

This is not about pool temps in the warmer months, this is about pool temps in the dead of winter. In 2004 we swam at night at VWL and SSR and it was less than 40F outside. We did the same in 2005 at BCV and SSR. I recently added on points, so we could make our Christmas trips annual tradition. We now own over 1000 points!

I really think we should contact Jim Lewis regarding this, especially for the standalone resorts that are supported solely by member dues. There is no excuse for OKW and SSR to be affected.

LIFERBABE
03-20-2006, 09:39 AM

For more information on water quality, visit the following Web sites:

The Association of Pool and Spa Professionals: www.theapsp.org
National Swimming Pool Foundation: www.nspf.com

Please Note: Although the question was about home pools, ARC gave their standard answer for public pools and states there is no recommendation for homes.

Toxman
03-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Liferbabe, I just had a chuckle to myself after reading your resaponse. I think this is all a diabolical plot to give every one a reason to stay at SSR, the only DVC that you will be able to swim at, in the cooler months!

k_k_100
03-20-2006, 10:07 AM
If they are keeping the pools for our own good - safety - per Red Cross guidelines shouldn't they be trying to cool them during the summer? :confused3 Are they saying during the winter months you can safely swim - during the summer when the pools warm up significantly you can all just swelter in a vat of bacteria? This has me very irritated... :mad:

LisaS
03-20-2006, 10:07 AM
The response doesn't address what the temps used to be, just parrotting the recommendations from the Red Cross, a fine resplonse but it doesn't answer whether the have actually decreased the temps.Good post Toxman except that they are taking the Red Cross' comments out of context! The Red Cross states that 78-80 degrees is fine if you're swimming laps, otherwise you need the pool to be several degrees warmer than that. So, they are actually NOT following the Red Cross' recommendations unless they want us to believe that the feature pools at WDW are really supposed to be used as lap pools. :rotfl2:

Blue&Gold
03-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Of course, the most "environmentally conscious" thing to do would be to close WDW entirely. Ridiculous excuse.

They should be touting the fact that the pools are toasty warm as a way to get more folks to the World during the off-peak seasons.

Penny-wise and pound-foolish, IMO.

jade1
03-20-2006, 10:32 AM
If they are keeping the pools for our own good - safety - per Red Cross guidelines shouldn't they be trying to cool them during the summer? :confused3 Are they saying during the winter months you can safely swim - during the summer when the pools warm up significantly you can all just swelter in a vat of bacteria? This has me very irritated... :mad:

Exactly right. So you cant swim in the winter because its too cold, and not in the summer because its unsafe. Why not fill the pools with cement and paint shuffle boards on them.

Pluto4Pres
03-20-2006, 10:57 AM

What a load a crap this answer is. Don't insult my intelligence. This is as bad as putting up a billboard to announce another billboard or telling me that Olivia's food is no longer available from Good's to Go so that they can "better serve me."

I was determined to get to the bottom of this so I convened a "Code Red" inquiry to find out who ordered this change in pool temp policy. Here is the transcript of the testimony from Henry Jessep, Director of Customer Satisfaction for WDW Resorts:

Jessep: You want answers?
Me : I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers!?
Me: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has pools. And those pools have to be heated by men with liquid propane. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Daitcher? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for warm water and you curse the Mouse. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that warm water, while nice, risks lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that thermostat. You need me on that thermostat.
We use words like cast member, guide and imagineer...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who swims under the cold water blanket of the protection I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up an oval nametag and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a d**n what you think you're entitled to!
Me: Did you order the pools cold?
Jessep: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.
Me: Did you order the pools cold?
Jessep: You're g*****n right I did!!

So now...We know

tmt martins
03-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Exactly right. So you cant swim in the winter because its too cold, and not in the summer because its unsafe. Why not fill the pools with cement and paint shuffle boards on them.

Or put a playground on them like 20,000 in MK.

I don't generally swim But DD love to and this is just another shame of them taking our money and not letting us know when and why they are doing it until after the fact.

Funny I don't remember seeing that in our mailings.

LIFERBABE
03-20-2006, 11:16 AM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Pluto, I love that!!! Thanks for the laugh, I sure needed it, but I am still PO'd!! Heck Disney needs a Few Good Men and Women that will stand up for its guests!

I am ready to call my guide and cancel our last add-on and December ressie at BCV. I know someone will be happy to have it, but SAB is useless to my family if it is cold.

$101 a point my ****!! I wouldnt pay it, and I won't recommend DVC to another soul if these are the games they want to play! Im not a jockey, but I know horse poo when I see it!

Let's start a list of Resorts that heat their pools to 84F or greater in the winter months. If there are none, then we will happily stay at home in Texas!!

manning
03-20-2006, 11:48 AM
They can run gas guzzling busses every 15 minutes but now they are concerned about the environment!! I am totally peeved!

Watch everyone come out of the wood work if it goes to 16 minutes!!

What's that, that William (shakespeare) said "A big to do about nothing". Or as my grandmother use to say "when you spend all your time complaining you don't have time enjoying". And "you don't get everything you want. Never did, never will, so make the best of it."

I'm not saying you should not voice your concern to management. Just realize you may not always be successful and be prepared to move on.

Hold on for a few minutes. Give me a chance to get my hard hat on.

LIFERBABE
03-20-2006, 12:15 PM
No need for a hard hat Manning, I wont hit you over the head! :wizard:

And we will adjust. To a warmer climate with warmer pools in December!

And for the record, I am prepared to move on also. Owning DVC is a big deal to us. Im normally very supportive of their management of the resorts. But I am willing to downsize our points considerably and spend our 2 week Christmas break elsewhere because it is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. It hurts my feeling to even say that, but we will.

So for our family, it is much ado about something!

smjj
03-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Watch everyone come out of the wood work if it goes to 16 minutes!!

What's that, that William (shakespeare) said "A big to do about nothing". Or as my grandmother use to say "when you spend all your time complaining you don't have time enjoying". And "you don't get everything you want. Never did, never will, so make the best of it."

I'm not saying you should not voice your concern to management. Just realize you may not always be successful and be prepared to move on.

Hold on for a few minutes. Give me a chance to get my hard hat on.

You know, the problem is that I feel and many others feel that they really tried to pull one over on us and got caught. If no one ever complained or voiced a concern, then where would be be on many subjects. Disney did not handle this one very well. I think a better approach would have been to post a notice at the pools to this affect or something like it in the lobbies explaining why. Instead they just did it with little or no concern to how us members would feel about it. I have always been a big fan of WDW and still am, its just that I feel like sometimes they try and take advantage of that loyalty..smjj