PDA

View Full Version : Dinning Plan: Deal or No Deal

Jobie
03-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I was lucky enough to get the Dinning Plan for free last year, my wife and I are planning on going again this year and I just want to know what the DIS experts here think. I personally find that it is a good deal, but I maybe just thinking that because I got it for free last year.

If you do not think it is a good deal, what tips do you have for eating cheap but yet good?

Honeybehr1
03-09-2006, 10:10 PM
We bought the dining plan and would do so again if it was available. It was great not having to worry about buying food and being able to try almost anything that we wanted. The cost for special meals at Disney are very expensive but on the dining plan, we were able to relax and enjoy

disneyscuba
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
I was lucky enough to get the Dinning Plan for free last year, my wife and I are planning on going again this year and I just want to know what the DIS experts here think. I personally find that it is a good deal, but I maybe just thinking that because I got it for free last year.

If you do not think it is a good deal, what tips do you have for eating cheap but yet good?

We got it free also. We are going to buy it for are trip in Nov. We thought it was a good deal. We keep all the receicts and added it all up and it was a lot.
Me and wife said " we would buy it next time we go to disney just for the we save a lot of money on the TS meals. "

Later,

DisenyScuba

momto2inKC
03-09-2006, 10:59 PM
We went last May and paid for the dining plan. It was money well spent! I loved not having to worry what it all was going to cost. We're planning on getting it when we go back this December. :thumbsup2

WaltD4Me
03-10-2006, 12:51 AM
I think it's a great for adults and a great deal for kid's 3-9, but it loses value to me if you've got kids 10 to 12 or 13. I wanted to get it for my upcoming trip, but my niece just turned 10 and there is no way it'd be worth it for her, she barely finishes a kid's meal let alone enough to make the daily adult price worth getting the plan.

Leota
03-10-2006, 03:46 AM
My 17 yo DS & I got it for free last year. I kept track of the reciepts. We would have paid $420 for it, we ate $780 worth of food. Good Deal. Especially with a young man who can EAT!

I reccommend it to people who ask me about WDW all the time. It's a good deal, IMHO.

PattnFmly
03-10-2006, 05:42 AM
We got it for free last year too, but I did the math and we would have really saved! (But the actual figures are filed in my disney book). We truly enjoyed planning our meals ahead and going exactly where we wanted to go. DH wants to buy it next time we stay on property, we especially liked the prepaid part, less $ to carry too. It also cut down on all the discussion about where to eat every day while on vacation, it was all set ahead of time and with the kids, it was just ... "this is where we're going - OK Mom"! :goodvibes

Tigger2252
03-10-2006, 05:45 AM
For us it would not be a good deal. My dd12 is very picky and rarely finishes a meal. We don't eat much TS so it wouldn't pay for itself for us. I do want to try it if my dh and I go by ourselves.

Sammy
03-10-2006, 05:45 AM
I voted "no deal" for us. We just returned from an 8-day trip, 2 adults and 3 kids: 10, 14, 16. That technically makes 5 "adults" for the dining plan. $37.99 x 5 = $189.95 extra per day, which totals $1,519.16 for the entire trip!! There is NO WAY that we'd get our $$'s worth! Both DD's (10 and 16) are very light eaters so hardly ever eat more than a kids-sized portion. The kids are also at ages where they do NOT want to sit down for a long TS meal every day....they want to go, go, go! If it were just DH and I, I might consider it so we could try some different restaurants, but not with the kids.

kldmom2000
03-10-2006, 06:09 AM
No deal for us.... In booking our hotel (Beach Club) we got the AAA rate of $259 + tax per night.... IF I wanted to add the dining plan, we would not be able to use the AAA discount and would have to pay the rack rate on the room since we would have to do a "package".... the rack rate for the week we're going is $345 + tax per night..... x 5 nights....that would be an extra $430 we would have to pay in order to then pay for the dining plan-SO not worth it IMO! :rotfl: I kept track of our last trip's meals per day and we spent an average of $100 per day on food-which is about what the cost of the dining plan would be-that was with 1 table service meal per day too! So, no deal for us!

rgf207
03-10-2006, 06:27 AM
It's definately a deal for us. We all eat 3 meals a day and usually it breaks down like this

Bfast: $7.00
Lunch: $10.00
Dinner: $35.00
---------------
Total: ~$52.00

Saving about $15.00/person = $60.00/day

On a side note:

No deal for us.... In booking our hotel (Beach Club) we got the AAA rate of $259 + tax per night.... IF I wanted to add the dining plan, we would not be able to use the AAA discount and would have to pay the rack rate on the room since we would have to do a "package".... the rack rate for the week we're going is $345 + tax per night..... x 5 nights....that would be an extra $430 we would have to pay in order to then pay for the dining plan-SO not worth it IMO! :rotfl: I kept track of our last trip's meals per day and we spent an average of $100 per day on food-which is about what the cost of the dining plan would be-that was with 1 table service meal per day too! So, no deal for us!

YOu can book a package deal through AAA and get the dining plan included. The only difference is taht AAA books your entire pakcage. Essentially the package price is the AAA room rate + tickets + dining.

mjkaferle5
03-10-2006, 06:38 AM
:confused3 Howie Mandell, "Deal?....................Or no deal?".

His voice is stuck in my head when I hear or see that phrase!!! Darn Game Shows!!!

Hopefully
03-10-2006, 06:48 AM
It was a deal for us (3 adults) in October. I kept track of our receipts and we "saved" $450 over the cost of the plan. We have been to WDW many times and no longer do the parks "commando" style. Also we enjoy a TS meal every day and we would have done that with or without the plan. We also had the delightful surprise of being able to use our Snack credits at the Food and Wine Festival. This made it even more valuable to us.

pennyplanner
03-10-2006, 06:50 AM
I agree that with younsters who are picky or light eaters, the plan might not be cost effective BUT my two teenage DSs made the plan a dream for our Thanksgiving week trip.

We always dine at a TS each evening so the price of food really adds up even if you don't always have an appetizer. We would finish dinner and visit the parks and by the time we got back to the WL to take a nighttime swim, they were heading to Roaring Forks for a snack! Oh to be young, fit and have that wild fire metabolism! :rolleyes:

--penny
:goodvibes

Degli
03-10-2006, 07:20 AM
I think it's a great for adults and a great deal for kid's 3-9, but it loses value to me if you've got kids 10 to 12 or 13. I wanted to get it for my upcoming trip, but my niece just turned 10 and there is no way it'd be worth it for her, she barely finishes a kid's meal let alone enough to make the daily adult price worth getting the plan.

Isn't this true! There is no way a 10 to I would say 14 year old child is going to eat as much as an adult. My 10 yo son ate off the child's menu our whole trip and will probably continue to do so for a few more years. He's just not a big eater. I think Disney needs to change the child age policy a bit. We ate at Planet Hollywood at DTD and their child menu was 12 and under. What gives?

rgf207
03-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the reason why Disney has this dining plan that is considerable less expensive than the actual food cost is because they make up their money on the Kids dining plans. The majority of people who visit WDW have children and I can bet a good portion fall in the 10 - 14 age bracket and most of that age are light eaters therefore do not eat that much but have to pay the adult price.

The dining plan is a good deal for anyone < 10 and > 15

Nikel
03-10-2006, 07:22 AM
I sat down and looked at the menus on allears and compared prices. It should save us $200-$300, which will pay for us to stay at WL instead of POFQ. We tend to eat a ts meal every day anyway, and we have a (then) 2 year old and 3 year old that can share the 3 year old's meals.

princesscastle
03-10-2006, 07:56 AM
I think it's a good deal deal if you are going to eat TS meals every night or want character meals. We had it free last year too and it was great but it was so much food that I gained weight even with all that walking. I usually don't have an appetizer and dessert with every meal. We had so much that there were 2 CS meals on our plan when we left.

KimR
03-10-2006, 08:06 AM
I didn't get it for our upcoming trip because it didn't seem like it would be a good deal for us. At least 3 of the restaurants I have chosen require 2 credits, so we'd still have to pay for some of meals on top of the dining plan. Also, while the rest of the family does counter service for lunch, I very rarely do so that would be more money down the drain. I didn't actually do the math but my gut feeling was that it would not be a good deal for us. Now, If alcohol were included that would be a different story. :thumbsup2

3mickeys&me
03-10-2006, 08:10 AM
It was a great deal for us!! I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

eliza61
03-10-2006, 08:53 AM

I totally agree but for different reasons. My sons are 12,14 & 16 and all 3 eat like linebackers for the NY giants :lmao: . The snacks and counter service meals were a joke (the only thing a ice cream bar does for my sons is make them mad) and unfortunately even when they were smaller we couldn't split meals. It was nice, not having to look at the price of dishes before deciding what to order. This year for our vacation in August, I'm going to get a DDE card that will save us ~20% off all our meals, hopefully save us a few bucks

tabrizia
03-10-2006, 09:26 AM
It is a deal if you were paying rack rate for your rooms already and need to buy tickets. Which is why we are doing it. It lets me and hubby (only the two of us) eat at 3 more sit down restaraunts then we would be able to without the plan for the same cost (I did a spreadsheet). However, we are upgrading our tickets while we are there to APs. Which means that the next 3 times we go after that it is no longer as good of a deal, since we would have to do rackrates and get a 1 day ticket each which neither of us will use. Which means we are getting the DDE card for the 20% after we get back from the vacation since that is a better deal with the AP from what we can tell (especially if you can get the AP rate on your room).

Priorityonecb
03-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I think it's a good deal for my children's ages. We have 9 and 15. Both of my girls are adventurous eaters. Dd9 will be happy with a kids menu while being able to share bites of our appetizers and meals as well. Dd15 will be thrilled to be able to order off the adult menu and get whatever she wants. Dh will be able to eat in peace without worrying about the cost of the meals.

Having dh not stress three times a day about food costs...priceless!

DMRick
03-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Does the dining plan include breakfast? I guess I didn't realize that. I thought people were using their ts or dinner coupons (for chef mickey) for that.

It's no deal for us, even if we didn't have AP's, since we seldom order appetizers or dessert, and only do so when we had the old certificates. Breakfast is usually oatmeal (to start the day right LOL) and a piece of fruit that we get at the market. We often share a lunch (the lunch of the day at France, along with a second soup..and we do have the DDE) and seldom want to take the time for a full sit down meal. We've proven using the certificates, that we "save" a lot, however we only save if we would have bought all that food in the first place. We always gained weight when we had the certificates, and now that they no longer offer them, we don't. And I don't miss the desserts at all. We love eating at the campground, and that's one of Disney's really reasonable meals.
With the AP's and the room discount and not having to buy tickets, we really wouldn't save at all.

It's definately a deal for us. We all eat 3 meals a day and usually it breaks down like this

Bfast: $7.00
Lunch: $10.00
Dinner: $35.00
---------------
Total: ~$52.00

Saving about $15.00/person = $60.00/day

On a side note:

YOu can book a package deal through AAA and get the dining plan included. The only difference is taht AAA books your entire pakcage. Essentially the package price is the AAA room rate + tickets + dining.

Priorityonecb
03-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Well, it *can include breakfast if you distribute that way. We are light eaters until dinner. We can easily share 2 CS credits for a quick breakfast at the food court, and share 2CS for lunch in the parks. Then we will plan an early, large sit down 4 TS a night. So in this way, using the DP, we can get breakfast, lunch and dinner.

HayGan
03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Having dh not stress three times a day about food costs...priceless!

That is the number one reason we are going with dining plan again this year! Well, that along with the tremendous savings that we get out of the plan!!!

rgf207
03-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Does the dining plan include breakfast? I guess I didn't realize that. I thought people were using their ts or dinner coupons (for chef mickey) for that.

It's no deal for us, even if we didn't have AP's, since we seldom order appetizers or dessert, and only do so when we had the old certificates. Breakfast is usually oatmeal (to start the day right LOL) and a piece of fruit that we get at the market. We often share a lunch (the lunch of the day at France, along with a second soup..and we do have the DDE) and seldom want to take the time for a full sit down meal. We've proven using the certificates, that we "save" a lot, however we only save if we would have bought all that food in the first place. We always gained weight when we had the certificates, and now that they no longer offer them, we don't. And I don't miss the desserts at all. We love eating at the campground, and that's one of Disney's really reasonable meals.
With the AP's and the room discount and not having to buy tickets, we really wouldn't save at all.
Well i should have been a little more specific. We sometimes use the DP for bfast and sometimes we split the entrees for bfast and lunch. In total, last trip we saved about 15.00/day per person.

My explaination wan't specific, sorry about that. The DP includes 1 CS, 1TS and 1 Snack per day per person

PatMcDuck
03-10-2006, 10:33 AM
I read a post that it is not a great value for kids over age 9. Well, it becomes a value again when they are teens. I have 3 boys, 20-18-16 and they can EAT. Also, my 14 yr old daughter, now sits down at restuarants and will order ribs or something. $$$ ! (All kids thin and active, we are not gluttons).

I am trying it with family this summer, for 6 of us. (All adult rate)

PrincessTrisha
03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
And it still may be worth it with a 10, 11, or 12 year old if you are doing character lunches or dinners as you still need to pay the adult price for them no matter what.

Sammie
03-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I would have to agree with the others. I think the people who have children in the 10 and up range are getting the worst end of the deal.

And this segment is probably covering the cost of the great deal for those with kids that are younger, if adults are eating those meals.

Unless your children 10 and older are adventureous eaters, I can't see this being good for this age.

Personally I am not even sure the adults in our group eat that much food.

hmeadq
03-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Couldn't you help with the value issue in kids 10-12 who wat kids meal by eating at a Sig Restaurant with the adults each using 2 TS credits an the kids order off the kids menu and pay OOP?

DisOrBust
03-10-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't mean to burst bubbles but....

How many of us really order an AP and dessert at every TS. How many REALLY order a Dessert with their CS meal???

How many Mickey bars can one person eat???

DisOrBust
03-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I don't mean to burst bubbles but....

How many of us really order an AP and dessert at every TS. How many REALLY order a Dessert with their CS meal???

How many Mickey bars can one person eat???

I used vouchers in the past and found yes you saved money IF you ate alot,lol!!

The DP is good for that I don't have to worry about cost "feeling". How much you really save is another matter.

When you look at AP rates and DDE it gets way more complicated.

J?ust IMHO.....

4MYBOIZ
03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi!

After reading most of the replys it seems the disney dining plan works for hearty eaters only. :goodvibes

We have it with our package!

Tink_Fan
03-10-2006, 01:45 PM
We went last May and paid for the dining plan, it was definately a deal for us!! We are going again this May and we booked the plan again. What we really loved was that we knew we didn't have to worry about carrying a lot of money with us or even credit cards most of the time. I know we went to restaurants that we wouldn't normally have because we had the dining plan. It was so nice to pre-pay for everything, all we did was have light breakfasts in our room before we left in the morning. We always tipped extra and just found it a great deal for our family.

ETA: I'm not sure what we will do at the end of the year when our DD turns 10, she is such a light eater that I don't think the dining plan will be worth it for us at that time. The only thing I don't care for is that they offer desserts at both CS and TS meals, because we rarely eat dessert with any of our meals. I usually just chalk that up to being on vacation, but if we were at home we'd never do it.

pdarrah
03-10-2006, 02:32 PM
We will be trying the Dining Plan this June for the first time, so I don't have real life experience here - HOWEVER, what I do have is all my receipts from 2 WDW trips per year for the last 10 years! Before deciding whether or not to try the dining plan, I went back over all those receipts and figured out what we actually spent (including tips) on meals and tried to fit those meals into the dining plan. My calculations actually came out VERY, VERY close to the cost of the plan. We usually do a few TS meals and a character meal and at least one CS per day. Even not using ALL our TS meals we would come out about "break even". Since we are doing Hoop Dee Doo this trip (we've been waiting for DS to get old enough to really enjoy it - he'll be 7 this time) which uses 2 TS credits and already had TS ADR's at France, Great Brittain, Fantasmic pkg at Mama Melrose, and breakfast at Cape May (which is a little more than usual) I think we will come out ahead. If we decide to use those 2 other TS meals (8 day trip) we will DEFINITELY come out ahead. Actually, none of my calculations even included the snacks - so we might come out even a little further ahead with that....

pdarrah

Fionasmommy
03-10-2006, 02:42 PM
No deal for us.... In booking our hotel (Beach Club) we got the AAA rate of $259 + tax per night.... IF I wanted to add the dining plan, we would not be able to use the AAA discount and would have to pay the rack rate on the room since we would have to do a "package"....

You can book an AAA package and add dining, you just need to use an AAA agent to do it. We're saving almost $300 on our rooms at POFQ with the AAA discount, and are looking forward to saving more on the DDP! :thumbsup2

mrackleff
03-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Hello. I'm new here - could someone please explain what a TS and a CS is? I've managed to figure out DP and AP and DH (dear husband?), but I guess I'm a little out of the loop on a few of these. My fiance and I will be taking our honeymoon at Disney World and we are thinking about buying the dining plan. My only concern is that we won't have the options and variety we would have if we payed for it without the plan. How restricted are you to what you can and can't eat on the dining plan? Any advice would be well appreciated. Thank-you.

Priorityonecb
03-10-2006, 03:38 PM
CS= Counter Service

TS=Table Service

There are only a select few TS restrictions...like adding the "add ons" such as lobster to your meal. You still *can add it, but you would have to pay OOP (out of pocket). Another TS restriction would be, that you cannot get the glowing ice cubes in the drinks without paying extra. That's about it.

kittythepoohbear
03-10-2006, 04:36 PM
My boyfriend refuses to go back to WDW without the DP after we got it for free in Sept.! I think it is a great deal and allowed us to eat without worrying about the price, something I have never been able to do at WDW.

ETA: After reading some more replies, I just wanted to add that I agree it may be a better value for big eaters and not too great for those who usually eat lightly/children. My bf and I always order at least 3 courses at TS meals, which we wouldn't be able to do at WDW without going completely broke. In this way the DP really allowed us to enjoy some great meals. However, with the new children over 9 are adults policy, I don't know how well it work for families.

thelionqueen
03-10-2006, 04:44 PM
We also got it for free last year, but are paying for it this year for our May/June trip. We added up our receipts and spent over $1500.00. If we had payed for the plan we still would have saved over $800.00.

We love the Dining plan...it's a GREAT deal for our family!!! :thumbsup2

MOMOFMNM
03-10-2006, 04:54 PM
we got it for free last year but like others have posted, if you have kids over 10 and under 13 or 14 that are kid sized eaters, then I'd say no deal because then it would be too much...then again if you plan to do character meals or buffets then they would charge you the ADULT price anyway even for a 10 yr old so I guess it would still be a deal...depends on what type of eaters, where you eat, how old your kids are, and if you get AAA or AP rates or qualify for other savings like SOG in our case for this trip.

Danestress
03-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Well, here's my logic for not using it, and if any one thinks I'm not thinking straight here, PLEASE tell me because I have really gone back and forward on this.

We are going to stay at the SOG so we can't get it, but I have really considered staying elsewhere and getting the plan. It would be soooo nice to go out to eat and not be thinking about the cost ..... not calculate what we are spending or have spent ... not ever say "no" to dessert of appetizers.

BUT my reservation is that my boys will be turning nine at WDW. They almost never order off a kid's menu. They like adult food - grilled seafood, shrimp, steak. They would be crushed to be told they had to order of a kid's menu. Of course, if we stuck to buffets it wouldn't matter, but buffets sort of horrify me. It's the germ thing...

So I am thinking that we would either have to be limiting them all the time regarding what they could order, OR we would pay extra for them to order what they want. And it's a vacation so I hate to disappoint them.

So I guess for us, even though we love to eat out and will probably do nice TS meals most nights, I just feel like it would ruin the experience for them to have to order form a certain menu. And since I am happy with lighter eating, I don't need apps and desserts .... but I do need wine. I figure we can always order a pizza at SOG and have one really cheap night to compensate for the expensive nights.

So am I right about this or do you think I should rethink here?

Sammie
03-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Well, here's my logic for not using it, and if any one thinks I'm not thinking straight here, PLEASE tell me because I have really gone back and forward on this.

We are going to stay at the SOG so we can't get it, but I have really considered staying elsewhere and getting the plan. It would be soooo nice to go out to eat and not be thinking about the cost ..... not calculate what we are spending or have spent ... not ever say "no" to dessert of appetizers.

BUT my reservation is that my boys will be turning nine at WDW. They almost never order off a kid's menu. They like adult food - grilled seafood, shrimp, steak. They would be crushed to be told they had to order of a kid's menu. Of course, if we stuck to buffets it wouldn't matter, but buffets sort of horrify me. It's the germ thing...

So I am thinking that we would either have to be limiting them all the time regarding what they could order, OR we would pay extra for them to order what they want. And it's a vacation so I hate to disappoint them.

So I guess for us, even though we love to eat out and will probably do nice TS meals most nights, I just feel like it would ruin the experience for them to have to order form a certain menu. And since I am happy with lighter eating, I don't need apps and desserts .... but I do need wine. I figure we can always order a pizza at SOG and have one really cheap night to compensate for the expensive nights.

So am I right about this or do you think I should rethink here?

Oh I agree completely, we are still in the deciding mode, as our group this trip is all adults. We would never order 4 appetizers, 4 entrees and 4 desserts, at the most we order 2 appetizers and maybe 2 desserts and share at a TS meal. And I can not remember when any of us ordered dessert at CS.

Pembo
03-10-2006, 05:31 PM
We were at WDW last summer with our 3 kids, age 9,6, and 2. We did not get the dining plan. I added up our receipts and the dining plan would have cost us more money. I don't think it's a good deal for us because we are not big eaters.

JoiseyMom
03-10-2006, 05:50 PM
CS= Counter Service

TS=Table Service

There are only a select few TS restrictions...like adding the "add ons" such as lobster to your meal. You still *can add it, but you would have to pay OOP (out of pocket). Another TS restriction would be, that you cannot get the glowing ice cubes in the drinks without paying extra. That's about it.

My kids were offered the glowing cubes at the Concourse Steak House. We didn't ask, she said it was included.

kcashner
03-10-2006, 05:56 PM
I have maybe a little different logic. I bought the plan for our upcoming trip. I agree that it may not save us money--normally, we wouldn't get appetizers and desserts at all meals, etc....

However, I looked at the prices of entrees, and with my teenaged daughter who loves steak and shrimp (not necessarily together), we will at least break even. I will probably end up ordering more for myself than I normally would, but can always take a salad or dessert back to the unit for a late night snack.

Our advantage--we're going to try more "grown up" restaurants, and I'm not going to cringe when she orders the most expensive thing on the plan.

Priorityonecb
03-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Danestress...would it be an option for buy the boys adult DP? If they will be buying the more expensive entrees anyway, it may save you still to get the dining plan...and pay adult prices for it. Just a thought.

Jobie
03-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Well it looks like most people thinks it is a deal! I hope ya'll keep polling, I would love to get a huge number of people polled on this!

cstraub
03-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Anyone know how far in advance you have to add the dining on? I don't have a package just room only reservation for April. Is it too late for me to do the dining?

mybgirl
03-10-2006, 10:12 PM
You can book an AAA package and add dining, you just need to use an AAA agent to do it. We're saving almost $300 on our rooms at POFQ with the AAA discount, and are looking forward to saving more on the DDP! :thumbsup2

This is what we did also , POFQ for OCT 2006 with DP , AND WE SAVED ALSO :thumbsup2

TAKE CARE :goodvibes

MARY ;)

4theloveofdisney
03-10-2006, 10:21 PM
No Deal for us! With three kids who are all picky eaters, there is no way we would spend that amount even if we tried. :lmao: We split a lot of meals because we know they won't finish it all and DH and I usually split a sandwich and get a side salad or something anyway.While we do splurge on dinner, even so, it doesn't add up to anything close. I might mention that we usually do breakfast in our room (unless it's a character meal) to save time and money. :teeth:

Dustmouse
03-10-2006, 10:51 PM
We will using the DP for the first time in June and I think it will work very well for us. My DH doesn't know about it yet, but the first time the check comes and I say it's taken care of, he will suddenly find his happy place! Our two DS's (13) and (14) are big eaters and will enjoy being able to order dessert at will. They will probably never eat an appetizer unless it's fried cheese or nachos, so I may snag theirs as a soup and salad to save a TS for later in the week. We LOVE TS restaurants, so I am very excited to see how the DP works out for us! :earboy2:

AdventurerKat
03-10-2006, 11:13 PM
I said no deal as I have an AP and DDE. Its not worth it to me to pay an inflated hotel room rate just to get the dining plan, even if its AAA, as my AP rate or FL Res rate has always beaten that at least by $10.00 a night on the cheapest room (values), in effect making the cost of the dining plan $47.99. When you get to the nicer room categories, it just goes up from there.

I usually don't eat that much money's worth of food a day, maybe once during a trip, and I don't normally order an appetizer or dessert either, although I do on occasion grab a mickey bar. :)

So for me, I will stick with my less expensive room rate and 20% discount. :thumbsup2

majortom
03-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the reason why Disney has this dining plan that is considerable less expensive than the actual food cost is because they make up their money on the Kids dining plans.

You are wrong. :) They have it because it is a way of sucking as much money out of people as they can. Food cost is much lower than menu prices. Disney wins in several ways, first these plans encourage people to commit all their money up front to Disney restaurants (they have your money and just like Casinos, can make money on "float"). Second, many people end up leaving money on the table (they pay for meals they do not end up eating). Third, they program people to eat more often then they would have otherwise. Finally, it is an inducement to get people to stay at Disney hotels.

If it does not change one's behavior at all, it can be a great deal. For many others, it is not so good.

/carmi

LisaBi
03-11-2006, 07:06 PM
We had it for free last year, and it was great not worrying about the cost of meals and trying stuff we otherwise wouldn't have.

If it was me and DH going, I'd do it again. But most trips are me and DS12, who still eats off the kids menu - so there's no way I'd spend the $38.00 for him. I'd buy it for myself if you didn't have to put everyone in the room on it, or for both of us if they'd let me pay for him as a child. Why couldn't they let older kids have the child price, but restrict them to kid menus?

LisaB

Degli
03-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Why couldn't they let older kids have the child price, but restrict them to kid menus?

LisaB[/QUOTE]

Could you do this? Would Disney allow it? Has anyone asked. My 10yo ordered off the kids menu the whole time this last trip. He eats like a bird. Does everyone in the party have to do the dining plan or could the adults not the kids do it? That way, adult meals could possibly be shared in some instances.

Travelboy
03-12-2006, 08:16 PM
The Dining Plan was an excellent deal and ended up saving us money (our Table Serivce meals alone came close to or exceeded the daily cost of the plan). .

MEK
03-12-2006, 08:35 PM
My family of four got the dining plan for free last August. My sons were 10 and 12 at the time. I was not going to purchase the plan, because I did not think we would get our money's worth. As it turned out, my normally picky boys ate adult meals for all their TS credits. They loved the dining plan. They tried all types of new foods. When we return in November we plan to purchase the plan. It allows so much flexibility. I can't wait to pick where we will eat this time. Having thre convience of the dining plan gives a whole new dimension to a disney vacation.

__________________________________________________ _

Max is my favorite cat! :eeyore: :love:

MomofCKJ
03-13-2006, 12:20 PM
We got it for our trip in December. It will be DH and I plus our 3 kids---ages 9, 7 and 4. I think it is a great idea for us because we won't have to worry about our meals. As someone said earlier it is priceless for DH not to be worried, or grumpy, about paying for all those meals! Now I know we can eat well all week and not worry about DH getting cranky towards the end of the week about how much we are spending. I am definately an appetizer, entree, dessert girl and have more filet and creme' brulee tastes so I know I will get my money worth! :cool1: As for the kids I think that for the $11 a day or whatever it was it is worthwhile. They don't eat a ton but kids meals do add up and we want to do a few character meals for sure.

Allyson :)

miamimama
03-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I signed up for the DDP - we are at BWI for the first time and wanted to try some of the great restaurants in the Epcot area without worrying about the cost. We stayed at POFQ and the and the value resorts before that and I got tired of food court and CS for every meal to save money. Also, my DD14 is becoming much more of an adventurous eater, and this will give her a chance to try out different types of food. I am worried about the weight gain issue for me and DH, but even if we order deserts, it will be fun to try a bite or two of different things - and I'm sure DD14 with her high metabolism won't let much go to waste! We leave next week, so I'll see if we save money!

DeirdreTours
03-14-2006, 02:26 PM
We used it last fall for "free" (catch was that you had to pay rack rate on the room). Post trip, DH and I agreed that although we got good value for the price we paid for the room/tickets/meals we would not be willing to pay $130 (me, DH, 13yo, 7yo, 2yo) for the value we received. Yes, the receipts add up to much more than that, but we felt the compromises in time/place/menu choices that we had to make to use the plan offset much of that "savings". Also, we were very disappointed in how terribly the service and general atmosphere of Disney restaurants had declined. In the future, we would eat many meals offsite.

Briar Rose's Mom
03-16-2006, 01:17 AM
I have been debating whether or not to get the dinning plan for our upcoming vacation. I seem to remember reading on some other post that you can add it on up to 48hrs in advance of your stay. I've made several ADR. When I do a cost comparison, if we order an appetizer, entree and dessert for all the Table Service meals then yes it would definitely save us money. However, as many people have pointed out, portion sizes are huge at Disney. When we're not at a buffet/all you care to eat restaurant, my husband and I ususally split an entre and one appetizer or dessert, but not both. Our 2 kids also split something. I've got to crunch more numbers to see if what we would actually order vs the dining plan is worth it. The other issue is that we prefer Table Service restaurants to Counter Service. Arrrgh!

dabute
03-16-2006, 01:50 AM
I’ve had the dining plan once. It was nice not to have to worry about the cost of everything. However, there is just too much food. I don’t know anybody who orders an appetizer AND desert for each member of their party :crazy: .

I never overate. I would just have a little bit of everything. I did feel very wasteful. But I had the mentality that “I have to get my moneys worth”

This September we are staying at the Swan, so the dining plan is not an option. I was a little disappointed a first. But I couldn’t turn down $129 a night for a deluxe. :banana:

Anyhow, I have all our meals planned. I decided to add them up with the aid of allears. We are very picky, so it’s easy to estimate what we might order. Well, it turns out we will be spending less than using the dining plan. And we are only eating at two counter service locations! And one off site dinner. We will also be using our DDE card. We will share some meals, not to save but to leave room for desert!! :cheer2:

We are staying for nine nights.

Our dining list includes:
L'Originale Alfredo di Roma
The Grand Tea
Beaches and Cream (twice)
San Angel Inn
Cape May Café
Crystal Palace
Brown Derby
The Garden Grill
Le Cellier
Rainforest Café
Liberty Tree Tavern
Fresh

PaulaSB12
03-16-2006, 03:08 AM
I am going solo,so sharing isn't an option. Also I wanted to be able to choose a meal on what I fancy not just stick to counter meals because they are cheap.

DaisyD
03-16-2006, 06:35 AM
I think it is a decent deal if you are used to counter service. We like to eat in the signature restaurants at WDW and it would be nothing but a big hassle trying to save credits for this and that. It is much easier for us to just pay for what we want and not worry about what credits you need or what food you are allowed. I imagine if you were on a strict budget it works out well but we aren't.