PDA

View Full Version : The PC team name change thread on the CB got me thinking

Ronda93
03-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Some are up in arms over the removal of the "Redskins" moniker.

I think the most apt comparison is to imagine a lesbian softball team called The Stay at Home Moms. They can have a little minivan logo, with a baby on board sign and my honor roll student bumper sticker. When real SAHMs complain, the lesbians can explain they are only representing the best parts of SAHM-dom. In fact the SAHMs should be honored that they are chosen as a symbol.

Can anyone help me flesh out this position?

Thanks.

SeattleRedBear
03-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Ronda -- I like the analogy, but not sure how many people will equate native americans and SAHM's. Yes, I get the fact that they're both cultural groups whose iconic references (sorry, couldn't come up with a better phrase off the top of my head) are being appropriated for profit by outsiders. But the reason you & I get it is because we are both part of a non-mainstream cultural groups and have had to deal with those issues. I think a lot of people would just say "Well, they're not the same thing" and not be convinced that they are.

But I might be wrong. Personally, I would get a kick out of seeing an SUV as you've described come out onto the field, disgorging a gaggle of cheerleading soccer moms. The image of the soccer mom has special resonance here in Washington state as one of our US senators (Patty Murray) was derided as being a soccer mom before being elected into the senate and has had a relatively successful career there. And I always like to point out the fact that Washington state is the only state to have ever been represented by a woman governor and two women US senators at the same time.