PDA

View Full Version : Kicking a sugar addiction

HunnyPots
03-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Anyone have any tips on getting the sugar monkey off my back?
I don't have a weight problem (yet, lol!) but I know I eat way too much sugar. I don't drink sugar-sweetened soda but I could live on cookies, brownies, and snicker bars! I've tried giving it up cold turkey but I got very cranky and my poor family was practically throwing candy bars at me when I would come anywhere near them. Any suggestions, tips, advice? TIA!

ohMom
03-08-2006, 07:32 AM
i'm a sweet tooth myself so probably not the best one to give advice --- how about limiting your servings. like tell yourself you can have 3 sweets today instead of the usual 5. then when 3 is normal, drop back to 2, etc. then every other day. yadda yadda yadda

for me it works better if i know the 'treat' is ahead instead of feeling like i have to 'give up' something

RAMWDWFAN
03-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm feelin' ya HunnyPots! Last week I had a slice of cake and a piece of cheesecake and I promised myself to keep away from sweets this week. Didn't happen. Today I ate three cake donuts. :guilty: But tomorrow is another day... :goodvibes

lindalinda
03-08-2006, 03:45 PM
I know you said you couldnt give it up cold turkey, but thats really what you need to do for it to really work. I have blood sugar issues, so I had to do it. The way I did it is to make sure and eat something every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, plan it out, and make it something without sugar (or bad carbs either), protein worked best for me. It takes about 3 days to get it out of your system. Then you wont crave it anymore, at least not on that constant level. However, if you fall off the wagon, you have to start over, and it will take 3 days again. Good luck! :goodvibes

HunnyPots
03-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did better yesterday. The only sweets I had all day were a handful of m&m minis and believe me that's WAAAAAAY less than the norm! :blush: I'm trying today but, I don't know, the girl scout cookies in the pantry are calling me... :bitelip:

lilouisianagal
03-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Oh no HoneyPots...they're callin' ME! :p :rolleyes: I'm gonna go eat some....uh....celery ::yes:: *sigh* :stitch: