PDA

View Full Version : magic eastern 2/18 this and that part 3

jillmom2
03-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Port days and shore excursions....where to start... well I looked at all of the brochures that disney sent and I have the planning CD and I looked online and I even went to other websites and checked out the independent tours and I booked exactly..... nothing... except the getaway package for castaway cay.

I seriously looked at the following packages, the under two flags tour on St. Martin paired with the afternoon beach bash to Orient Bay because there was time for both and the Megan's Bay beach day on St. Thomas. Because we really wanted a beach day on each Island.

What we ended up doing worked out so great and hands down was much less expensive that booking through disney or independent tour guides.

On St. Martin I had reserved a car in advance with budget, to be ready at the port office. the cost was $60.00 and it was a Toyota something..mid size. We got off the ship and walked over to the rental office to pick it up and by 8 :45 a.m. were in the car with a map and on our way. The island is pretty easy to drive. We drove out from the port and headed toward marigot. We were planning to stop and shop but just decided to sightsee instead. By 10 a.m. we were at orient bay and pulled in at the Waikiki section of the beach. We were about the 6th car in the parking area. Followed the path to the beach where we were promptly met by the "Chair manager" he rented us 4 cushioned beach chairs and 1 umbrella for $25.00 Orient bay is GORGEOUS just like everyone says. It was pretty windy but a beautiful day, the surf was about 2-4 foot waves so great for body surfing and playing in the waves. Very nice sandy bottom even though we all had beach shoes on.

After about 30 min. of swimming my boys went up to the chair manager guy who also rents boogie boards to ask him how much they rented for and he told them something like $5.00 per hour or $10 for the whole day. So they left and went back to swimming. About 10 min. later he comes up to me and says "give this boogie board to the boys for free..my treat..it is good for business if people see kids using the boards." "good advertising" He then proceeded to go into the water with the boys and spend about a half hour teaching them how to properly "catch a wave" About thirty minutes later as some of the tour groups start arriving he fills up his chairs and promptly rented 6-8 boogie boards.

We spent about three hours at Orient beach and then drove back to the port. We returned the car and went back to the ship for a late lunch it was about 2-2:30 p.m. We cleaned up and then ventured back out. We took the water taxi to Philipsburgh to look around and to shop. Five dollars round trip for the taxi , youngest son was free. I wanted to check out the Great Bay Beach because we considered just swimming here instead of Orient Beach. It is nice and calm water and obviously close to the ship, but cannot compare to Orient so I am glad I got to see both.

So as far as St. Maarten we rented a car, toured the whole island, went to the beach, and took a water taxi to shop and spent about $100.00 total to do it. much cheaper than booking excursions....Then my husband went and bought me a 4ct. tanzanite and diamond ring in Philipsburgh than wiped out any previous savings mentioned above....but I got a fabulous souvenier... :cool1: ( I think he got too much sun at Orient Beach or else the Disney Magic really puts out some real magic :love: ) ...I will report on St. Thomas in the next post

Holly&Joesmommy
03-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Great report!
Thanks for all of the $$saving tips! :banana: Sounds like my kind of savings,...plus a TREAT for you :thumbsup2

cruisecrzy
03-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the information. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about St. Thomas. Can you tell me how to get to Great Bay Beach and if there was any cost to enter the beach. We are looking for a beach close to the ship and easy to get to. We are traveling with lots of little ones and do not want to do a taxi.

Thank you for the info

Pea-n-Me
03-04-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm pretty sure the beach we went to was Great Bay Beach. We didn't plan anything either, just wanted to hang at a beach close to the ship. We got off the ship and caught the water taxi ($5pp RT) across the way, just about a 10 minute ride. As we walked along the beach people tried to "sell" us chairs, but we had our eyes on a water trampoline and jet skis further down so that's where we headed. Great choice.

We got 4 chairs and an umbrella ($20) near the tramploine ($5 per child, no adults allowed). They had a great time on it practically all day (though were completely wiped and sunburned for Pirate Night :blush: ). We also rented jet skis which sat three, lifevests included ($45 per 30 minutes) which was a lot of fun. Shopping and food was right behind us so the adults took turns sightseeing and shopping. Great day! One of the things I really liked about the location was that we could see the ships from where we sat and that to me made it very unique and special. Here's a shot:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/paulandlinda/Feb2006Cruise842.jpg

cruisecrzy
03-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Pea-n-me,
That is a great picture. Once you got off the water taxi was it easy to find the beach. And which part of the island was it on. If I remember correctly the water taxi stops on each side of the island. Were there any snorklers there?

Thanks for sharing the info.

Tink Fans
03-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Jillmom2 - enjoyed reading your trip report.

Linda - that is such a nice picture on the trampoline. Caroline wants to know if that is a slide off to the right. After seeing your picture Caroline has decided the one on Orient Beach is a RIP OFF - no slide! :teeth:

Pea-n-Me
03-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Tink Fans, LOL, yes it is a slide. :goodvibes Hello to Caroline. :wave2:

cruisecrzy, it wasn't hard to find the beach at all, we just got off the taxi and walked for a few minutes. I believe there were beaches to both the right and left of the taxi, we went to the left, seemed like the area was what we were looking for in terms of water activities, food and shopping. To be honest, prior to our arrival I wasn't sure what to expect either, but we figured we'd just "go with the flow". That's what we did and it couldn't have been easier. We've all agreed we'd go back there again, had a great day, and as I said before, seeing the ships was very cool.

mommykeg
03-05-2006, 04:48 PM
I've really enjoyed your reports! I can't wait to hear about your day in St. Thomas. You said you booked the beach day at Magen's Bay, and that is what we're considering for our next cruise. Looking forward to hearing the good and bad of it all so we can decide! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences!

abfnumberten
03-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Was there any nudity on these beaches? you all sound like you have kids? Should I be concerned? thanks

jillmom2
03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
The only nudity we saw was on Orient Beach. Several topless women and one nude jogger who ran down the beach when we first got there. I don't think my younger son even paid attention but my to-be 13 year old son did. :teeth: It was not excessive and when the beach got busy there were so many people walking around that it was easy to not notice much at all.

abfnumberten
03-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Thank you so much for the information!!! just don't want to be surprised by anything!!! i hope my DS15 does not gawk too much, but I really can't wait to see the beaches.