PDA

View Full Version : Magic Eastern 2/18 ...this and that...part 1

jillmom2
03-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone, I don't post very often but I read the boards alot which is how I plan such wonderful trips for my family, so on our behalf I thank you all very much!!! I thought I would write a report since all of you have been helpful to me in the past.

I have been to wdw many many times but this was my family's first disney cruise and for my husband and boys their first cruise ever.

The four of us consisted of my husband, me, & boys ages 12 and 8. We left Detroit metro airport early Friday morning and were delayed slightly due to high wind advisory and closure of a couple of runways. Other than getting to Orlando about an hour later than planned, everything was fine. We flew in a day early and stayed an extra day after the cruise and flew home on Sunday late morning.

We decided to do something different on this trip that we had never done before since we had the one day before and after the cruise. We went to Universal to check it out because we had never been there before. So on Friday we went to the Studios and on Saturday after we got off the ship we went to Islands of adventures. I will not bore you with the details but suffice to say that we were not overly impressed and will not be going back. Time in Orlando is too precious to waste there. It was just okay but not fantastic and I wish we had done disney parks, but the boys are getting older and were curious about what was at Universal. They were not impressed either except we all liked the Spiderman ride at IOA ...that was about it so now lets focus on the cruise.

Friday 2-17 Arrived at MCO and picked up car from Budget, drove to universal to pass the afternoon and drove to the Port to spend the night at the Radisson. Had a nice room on the ground level #820 I think not too far from the pool and tennis courts. (It had those adjustable sleep number beds in the room ) Comfortable accomodations , I would stay there again. (We went to the little Italian restaurant next door for a quick dinner...don't remember the name but it was good and decent prices)

Saturday 2-18 Woke up fairly early too anxious to sleep in. Loaded up everyone and drove down the street to budget to return the car. Some people were there from the ship to pick up their car. Said they had cold rainy weather all week....Budget shuttle ran us over to the port. We were a little too early but had no where else to wait. Arrived at the port about 9:30 and were the first in line by the black iron gates. A small group of Avis people were waiting for their shuttle to pick them up from the previous cruise. Other families arrived there shortly after. Opened gates around 10:00 a.m. I think and left our luggage with the guys at the gate. We proceded to head to the entry and then up the escalator. We were the first up into the terminal ( my boys thought that was very cool) We received a #2 board card so I assume that is the best you can get without being in a suite or maybe special needs boarding also?

We boarded right close to noon it was very easy except that giving out the boarding cards does not stop some people from lining up anyway. Several people with group number 6 and one with 12 was right in front of the ropes and the lady working there kept telling them to move and let people with lower numbers come up to the front ,that they would be called and there was no need to stand there...but it was useless...everyone just too excited I guess. We went up to topsiders for the buffet and enjoyed a nice lunch, rooms were ready at 1:30, luggage finally all arrived by 4p.m. (I has registered by boys online for the clubs so just had to pick up the pager at the terminal and get the younger one his wrist band it was very simple.) We did not rush to do any reservations as we did not plan to do Palo as this being our first cruise , we wanted to experience the regular things first, plus we enjoyed dining with the boy nightly to catch up on the day since we tended to go our separate ways. ...more to come

anty30
03-01-2006, 02:39 PM
It sounds smooth so far. My family will be going on our 1st DCL vaca in May and booked a car from Budget and a room at Raddison. I was thinking we might drop the car off Friday night so we dont have to worry about it Sat. morning. We have a shuttle reservation at 10am from the Raddison. What do you think? :confused3

Castaway Stowaway
03-01-2006, 02:39 PM
I really enjoyed your report so far. Look forward to reading more. Ill be leaving in 9 days for our western 7 day. Have a wonderful trip!!

burma
03-01-2006, 03:49 PM
you must have been standing near me because I saw them ask that group of people to move to the side when they opened the doors I had #1 boarding card and went in right after the concierge people boarded .

jillmom2
03-02-2006, 09:17 AM
To anty30 .... the budget van made two trips before I saw the radisson shuttle but either one seemed convenient We were the only family for budget one the first run, I don't know how many people will be on the radisson bus with you

RobinMarie
03-04-2006, 08:19 AM
:thumbsup2