PDA

View Full Version : Wk of Feb 19--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera
02-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
http://www.marathonwalking.com
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Race Etiquette with Miss Road Manners (http://www.rrca.org/publicat/missrm.htm)

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

chimera
02-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Let the taper begin! I seem to remember tapering involving eating a lot and running a little...or maybe I didn't do it right the first time :teeth:

10 miles today in 2:19:39 at W3/R2...my 10 miler for the WDW half was 2:22:20. Just call me Ms Consistency...check out these splits!
mile 1 13:51
2 13:52
3 13:54
4 13:59
5 13:48
6 13:54
7 13:43
8 14:11
9 14:16
10 14:07.

Oops...gotta run...more later!

perfectmatch300
02-18-2006, 09:49 PM
After I posted my news this week on last week's thread I see we are already on to a new week. Figured I'd better copy my post here.

I do not think I mentioned it here before but some of you may have seen our sad news on another thread. DH's Mom passed away fairly unexpectedly last Mon after a short illness. She was 89 but still living independently and yes, even driving right to the end. She did go quickly which, for the active woman she was I consider a blessing. We have been in Brooklyn all week for the funeral. Training has been somewhat off this week, but not completely gone. What I have been able to do has provided a great deal of stress relief. We head back home to FL tomorrow. Can't wait to get back in warmer temps! It is really cold and windy here tonight!

Chimera, sounds like you had a great 10 miler! You have come a long way in the past year!

Edited to add that I have come down with a nasty cold while here.

I will have to catch up with everyone's posts after I get home.

littlegreydonkey
02-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Nancy - sorry to hear your news. Your husband seemed like a really nice man when I met him, so tell him we're thinking of him over here in NZ.

So onto happier tales - yes that's right, happier ones in the world of Helen and running. I did the half, I did it in 2.30.19 and it wasn't anywhere near as painful as I deserved it to be considering my lack of training. There's two odd things about this race 1) you pick up your shirt the day before and wear it to run in, so the whole field of 3000 look the same 2) It has a staggered start so you decide when you want to go out, aiming to get back at 10.30am.

I started at 2.45 minutes till finish, I'd originally planned to do 2.30 but thought I'd give myself the get out clause of 15 extra minutes just in case I lost it totally. Saw lots of friends and the start and it was quite cool temperaturewise. The first 7km is a flat loop, so coming back round the second half you could just see waves of red shirts on both sides of the road. 8km is where the hills begin - I haven't met anyone yet who did the race today and didn't walk the first one. You cross the road and then it's near vertical for about 200 metres - not far, but it destroys you (so it's completely acceptable to walk it!). So then I go, up hill, then down hill, uphill, then downhill for another 8km!!! I walked a few of the ups but actually felt okay.

The last 5km is flat along the waterfront - at this point I was going to PB so I got all geed up - then at 17km the lack of training caught up with me and my speed (relative term that) and energy just kind of went away and I had to walk/run until 20, but I didn't care as I was still waaaaayyy ahead of what I'd thought I'd do, so I figured just aim on beating last years 2.33 - the only thing that did suck was that the last 500 metres was on grass. I don't run well on grass and while I had the energy to get in under 2.30 on tarmac I just couldn't speed up enough to pull it on grass - hence the 2.30.19!!!

It's now 6 hours after the finish, I've had my nap, had my recuperative pint of cider (apples, remember, apples) and have no pain (compared to the marathon I don't think I'll ever feel pain after a half again!!!). My knee's a bit odd - feels like it's going to slip out of place when I go downstairs, but my kneecap does reposition itself now and again so I'll worry about that if I wake up with my foot facing backwards. And now I'm off for a curry at a friends house - so, looks like I'm back in the game. Thanks for keeping me with it guys. Helen

chimera
02-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Nancy... :grouphug: to you and Barry.

Helen...wtg on your race! :cool1:

Krista...LOVE the shadowbox! Btw, you're absolutely right...it's easier to run when the intervals are longer. Now that I've tried more running, it's definitely easier to settle into the pace!

Lynne...wow...conditions for your 10 were much more severe than down here!
Wtg on your run! :Pinkbounc

Amy...hope you're enjoying your vacation!

Cam...3 miles at 41:58?? That's just under a 14 min pace! Wtg :cool1:

Carrie...love your new siggie photo!

LisaSP...buses last year for Swan/Dolphin ran in the same loop as the BW and BC/YC buses.

Minnie... pixiedust: for your MRI. I'm glad you're getting closer to a diagnosis.

Christiana...welcome! There's no yelling around here...just lots of support :thumbsup2

Colleen...wtg on your 4.5 on Friday! We're staying at the Swan in April for DH's conference, so we'll get to try out those famous beds!

Lily...are you training now for your Chicago race? Please tell the Penguin we all said hi!

Jodi...congrats on registering for the Goofy! :goofy:

Dena...I felt like warm dog spit after the half, but the next day was relatively functional. I have a bad ankle that was really stiff, but we also stood around for 2+ hours after the half waiting for the 5K to start since DD13 was running in it.

Dave...I never exactly know how to answer the what I do for a living question. The short answer is that I'm a physician assistant in endocrinology (office-based). But...I also have a doctor of pharmacy degree. Though I haven't worked as a pharmacist in a few years, I do use the knowledge daily.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes on my work situation. I do see my share of depressed patients, but it's rare for us to have even one in crisis, let alone two in such a short period of time.

I really like the Clif Blocks! Much easier to deal with than the messy honey shots and peanut butter crackers. I felt better on this run, though I'm not sure if it was the Blocks or just being in better shape at this point. I did 3 blocks every 3 miles, but I think I may switch that to 2 every 2 miles. 3 at a time is just a little too much gooey sweetness for me!

Good training everyone!

MickeySP
02-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Wow Already a new week, this month is flying.
I think more so because I have not been able to amp it up, I am doing a 1/2 in weeks and am worried my lack of run will hurt me so much. I am fast walking but my first run will be tomorrow so we shall see what happens after 4 miles, fingers crossed no knee pain this time.

We have decided on Swan/Dolphin, well rather I did, if family wants to join me that's where I'll be :teeth:

Nancy - I am sorry to hear about DH's Mom, it is always tough. We lost
my Dad after a long illness and even though we knew it was coming
it was hard. :grouphug: Hope the cold gets better.

Krista - I LOVE the shadowbox, I am definitely stealing your idea! :scratchin

Cam - WTG!! I have noticed with core training the rest is getting easier.

Mel - Nice splits, I aspire to your times! :worship:

Helen - impressed, and that was without training :worship: :worship:
Sounds like a great recovery too.

TammyNC
02-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Nancy, I had posted my reply on the other thread as well but copied it over here.

I am so sorry to hear about your MIL. I didn't see it on another thread but my prayers are with you and your family.

Get better soon, maybe all you need is that FL weather.

jodistar
02-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Morning everyone,

Nancy Sorry to hear of your family's loss :grouphug:

Krista I love your shadowbox - I hope next year I'm lucky enough to do something similiar :thumbsup2

Yesterday, I never posted my workout - here goes:

TM work - (3 miles)
3.8 - 5 minutes
5.8 - 5 minutes
3.8 - 5 minutes
5.8 - 10 minutes
3.8 - 5 minutes
5.8 - 3 minutes
3.8 - through the end at 40 minutes - then cool down for 10 minutes

The work that I did with my trainer: - Back Lunge and Front shoulder raise - 5 pound weights, 12 reps, 3 sets
- Backlunge and chest fly - 5 pound weights, 12 reps, 3 sets
- Curtsee and shoulder raise - 5 pounds, 12 reps, 3 sets
- V Twist (using elastic - balancing on butt, feet off floor) 12 reps, 3 sets
- Stationary plank - hold for as long as you can (the longest that I could do it was 45 seconds)
- Bicep cable curl on the bosu ball - 12 reps, 3 sets
- Sideleg raises (Pilates type move) 12 reps, 3 sets each leg

I'm a little sore today, so I'm debating on whether to make this a rest day or to go and run.....the only thing that is really sore is my butt.....but it is a good sore.

While at my training session yesterday - I met one of the other trainers (Mary) and she has already done marathons and belongs to the same running club that I just joined. We got talking and she might join me running with the club....one of the meets is right near her house. I would have liked to talk to her more but she had a client waiting. Both Mary and my trainer, Diane, know what I am capiable of and they both know once I put my mind to something I can definetely do it! It made me feel good that they thought that way by me.

Sorry for such a long post :teeth:

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!

Jodi

plutosmyfav
02-19-2006, 10:20 AM
http://sunnyshopper.com/clipart/coldrun.jpg

I had DD take a picture of me before I headed out yesterday. I told her I might knock off a bank while I'm out!

Lynn-- I had the same experience as you! I really didn't think the wind was too bad so I went for my LR outside. Some gusts were so strong I could barely move forward during them. I must say, though, the new soft shell wind proof running jacket I got for val day really is wind proof. I was much warmer than last weeks LR in two fleeces.

I did 9 miles. The first 5 were nice and strong, all sub 9:30. Then the wind really picked up and the final four miles are more uphill. My overall pace ended up being 10:26.

Krista-- great shadow box. You all are putting me to shame. My mickey medal is carelessly draped over my bedroom curtain rod, along with my "Filly first place" medal and (gasp) my Applefest half medal from Oct 1st!!!!

Carrie-- I love your new siggie pict. Did you make that Pooh yourself? Its awsome!

Nancy-- I did catch your news on the other thread and again, I want to say I am so sorry for your loss :grouphug:

Helen-- Great Half!!!! What a neat idea about the staggered start to all finish at the same time.

Jodi-- great training! Sounds like you have a rock-solid plan in place.

Mel--- great splits!

Sunny

TXBelle
02-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Nancy- I am so sorry to hear about your loss. :grouphug: for you and Barry.

Sunny- Love the picture! Here's to you and Lynn for running in such cold, windy conditions! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Yesterday was a rest day for me. Today I am going to ride my bike and WL at the gym. It is too cold and wet to ride outside. (I know, I am a wimp)

LisaSP- We stayed at the Swan this year for the marathon, and we loved it. The heavenly beds were wonderful! I highly recommend the Swan.

disnygoof
02-19-2006, 10:43 AM
First off, thanks to all for the encouraging words! I went to the gym Saturday (begrudgingly, but I went! LOL) and did 1/2 hour on the Precor and 1/2 hour on the Octane, plus my weights and abs. After I was done and smelly with sweat, I realized how much I do like working out. Although it's hard to get motivation at first sometimes, I realize the rewards are well worth it. :) So thanks again!! Today I play on making friends w/Billy and doing some Tae Bo and weights. :dancer: (This smiley has nothing to do w/Tae Bo, but I just really like it and it makes me laugh :rotfl: )

Nancy, so sorry about your sad news :( It sounds like she was a remarkable woman up to the end.

Chimera, you're an inspiration! I am glad when I make 5 miles LOL :) Keep up the good work!!

Helen, WOW!! :worship: You should be extremely proud of yourself!!

Sunny, awesome work out! Your picture is so funny, love the bank robber look LOL

Okay, I'm off to the run some errands! Will post more later :)

plutosmyfav
02-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Today I play on making friends w/Billy and doing some Tae Bo and weights. :dancer: (This smiley has nothing to do w/Tae Bo, but I just really like it and it makes me laugh :rotfl: )

:)

Yahoo! DS and I just finished TaeBo for kids. Anyone with small ones: I strongly recommend the TaeBo for kids. As always, he says really encouraging things to the kids.

We also made volcanoes today. He missed the science project when he stayed home sick so we did it at home. Messy but fun!

Yesterday I rented "Four Minutes". It was a really good movie. I take it from the movie that Roger Banister invented the TM? I highly recommend the movie.

xterratri
02-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Yesterday I rented "Four Minutes". It was a really good movie. I take it from the movie that Roger Banister invented the TM? I highly recommend the movie.

And to think I always assumed that the invention of the dreadmill came out of Germany in the 40s. :teeth: They were awfully interested in human performance and had incredibly horrific methods for exploring those boundaries.

Mel- WTG on your 10 miles. Do I sense a PR coming on at the Grouper Run? BTW, I really like the logo for that.

Nancy- PD to you and Barry during your tough times.

Helen- Yeah!!! Isn't it amazing how much easier a 1/2 seems after doing a full?

Sunny- I love my soft shell too. mom got it for me for x-mas and it's gotten a lot of use lately, mostly running and some biking. I wasn't ever really cold when running yesterday but it was still miserable w/ the wind.

Heather- I've only been riding outside if it's over 40 and dry this winter so no, I won't call you a wimp. Besides you're going to WL too so that should count for an extra star.

Lisa(MickeySP)- PD for that knee. The boston 1/2 is 3 weeks from today.

Jodi and DisnyGoof- good job on your workouts. You're doing great and remember that this is the "train to train" stage.

Today was a bike day- the training plan called for either 90 min outside or 60 minutes inside. Since the negative digits with wind chill did not meet the over 40 and dry criteria, I rode the trainer. Did the aero base builder IV spinervals DVD and got 1 mile more distance for the same workout at virtually the same heart rate than when we last did that one 2/7 so it was a good workout. Run and swim tomorrow- will swim before school and run after to give it a chance to warm up. It's nice that the days are just enough longer that I can actually do that tomorrow. It does help that we get out at 4 rather then 5 too.

aladdinsgirl
02-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Hey everybody!! How is everyone doing? I'm pretty good, I ran 4 miles yesterday in 48:00, still not completely pleased with the pace, but I'll take it. The beginning of the run was rough, but once I did about a mile and a half, I felt better. It always takes me a couple of miles to settle down and get into a comfortable pace, that stinks when you're only running 3 or 4 miles, but a great feeling when you have a longer distance. I'm still not completely excited about running yet, I think it's one of 3 things: 1. I'm not terribly excited about running the Country Music 1/2. 2. I think "I've already done this before and it wasn't that hard, so this half will be easier". Yeah, right. 3. My training last year and the half was so great, that I'm scared to do it again because this race might not be as successful as the Disney half and then I'll get discourged. It's amazing how the mental aspects can really effect your running. I guess I'll just have to get out and run, whether I want to or not!!

Nancy-- :grouphug: :grouphug: to you and your DH during this difficult time. You are in our prayers.

Colleen--We got the poster at one of the booths at the Expo Center. My own little Martha Stewart made that shadow box.

Mel-- :banana: :banana: on your 10 miler!! I can tell you don't have my mental problems!! GL on your half, I know you're going to rock!

Sunny--You look like a burglar!!! I can see all those layers didn't effect your run!

Helen-- :cheer2: :cheer2: on your half!! That's awesome! I'm glad you got your groove back! :woohoo:

:wave: to everyone that I missed, there is so many of us, it's hard to talk to everyone! But it's a good problem to have. Talk to you all tomorrow. Happy training!!

jodistar
02-19-2006, 07:47 PM
http://sunnyshopper.com/clipart/coldrun.jpg

Jodi-- great training! Sounds like you have a rock-solid plan in place.

Sunny

Thanks Sunny - that coming from you mean a lot! I absolutely loved reading your journal and you are a huge inspiration to me! :goodvibes

Jodi

gatorphipps
02-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Hey everyone!
I have been so busy with work....bla bla bla.....
We are a chatty group! I cannot even keep up. Trying to post b/4 my LONG planning meeting today. Hope everyone is doing great. I haven't been able to read everyones posts, maybe later.

Sunny I did see your pic! Can I rob the store with you? We don't need a get away car...we can just RUN! :eek:

Nancy - So sorry for everything going on in your life... :grouphug: pixiedust: :grouphug:

Congrats to all you who have signed up for the half, full, and goofy! :thumbsup2

I am still training hard. Been running, swimming, and biking.....Ran 12 on Friday...we were kinda slow b/c of the wind...our ave pace was 10 MPM. It was warm though... pixiedust: to all you who run in the freezing cold...I don't know if I could do it.
DD5 is sick so I don't know how I will work out today. :guilty: I was going to bike and swim but that is out. I cannot go to the Y with a sick baby! :confused3 :lmao: Do they not understand I am in training? :rotfl2:

wtpclc
02-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Nancy - :grouphug:

MIckeySP - It's been pages ago, but you were unhappy about the weight going up. My best suggestion is to take measurements. Not around you legs, as they will get bigger. Thighs, maybe. But, don't ge ttoo caught up in the scale numbers, as you want that muscle to be replacing your fat.

Lily - What do you mean you might not play with us in January????

Krista - Your shadowbox is AWESOME!!!

Mel - Congrats on your 10-miler!!!

Cam - SOunds like your doing great, even when you say you're slow. I belive your pace was still much better than last year. WTG!!!

Sunny - :worship: It was 3 degrees before windchill. DH said no to running. I need to get out on a LR again! AS fro my siggie, Pooh was pit=rated. However, the medal he is wearing is mine. I scanned it for a scrapbook project and then put it on Pooh. I am not a graphic artis in any way, but I though my first time trying wasn't too bad.

Christa - You need to get your dd trained fo rwhen to be sick and when not to! ;) Hope she's better soon!

MelRhoads
02-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Good morning everyone!!! We are back from the freezing weekend!! Phil did the adventure race. They were out for 20 hours in temps all below 25 deg and freezing rain. I think the kayaking was especially bad b/c it was sleeting heavily and it was dark, so all they could see was sleet coming down in their headlamp light! The mountain biking was tough b/c the trails were hard and then covered w/ a thin layer of ice. Boy and I stayed in cabin w/ no TV and NO INTERNET!!! I think he is finally better, christa, I feel your pain! They actually won the race, so it was worth the trip. They have placed, but never won, so that was a real treat (although, in my mind, a small reward for being cold for that long) this is one race i was glad to sit out!!!!

I am going to have a light week as i have that 26.2 mile training run in fort worth with all those other people who are running the Cowtown marathon :rotfl2:

Sunny - I loved the pic. I mostly enjoyed it b/c i was skimming the posts to catch up and i saw the pic. I had to actually look at your siggie to figure out who was behind the mask.

Helen - congrats on the half!!! You did great!!

Boy is paging me so I'll have to catch up more later!!!

plutosmyfav
02-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Jodi-- thank you for the kind words :cloud9:

Christa-- So glad to see you :grouphug: I've missed you!

MelR-- congrats to the crazy adventurer's! Sounds very cold indeed.

I just got an email saying that the Applefest Half registration is now open!!!! Any takers? Its Sept 30: http://www.gatecity.org/AF/index.shtml

Sunny

lizdotcom99
02-20-2006, 11:34 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I just had a HUGE post and lost it!

Needless to say, I am not going to be able to find the time to redo it all....I did try to address all of you.....so just think of me sending each and everyone of you happy thoughts and good training vibes.
pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

I am still here and have been in lurk mode. Not training like I should have been.....and need to really get my act together. I have a 1/2 to do April 1.....I need to be ready for that one!

It has been cold and windy, wet and icky out...so no training for me....that sounds like a good excuse...right? It is going to be in the 40's this week...I will be out getting in my eight miler.....hold me to it please! If you haven't heard from me by Thursday that I have done this...feel free to call, post, send threatening pms and whatever you need to do. Lily has my number and is free to give to all of you!!! I can't believe I just said that!

Anyway, off to work on some more job hunting stuff and house building stuff!

I do have an interview Wednesday and there are a few job fairs in the area....as well as some other irons in the fire. We will see how these all pan out. NO MORE driving a million miles for me....so keep your fingers crossed that I can find a job that is close to home and will challenge me and well there is that $$ factor too! Hey, I don't want TOO much, do I?

Well, I am off to get more stuff done! Thanks for the inspiration! You guys are the best!

Happy training!

:banana: :banana:

Tiger Lily 03
02-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Nancy - :grouphug: Prayers to you, DH and family.
Krista, I love your shadow box. Clever of you.
Sunny, looks like you were just toasty warm (hope so)! Me, I still don’t think I would go out in it. Great pic and I’m sure security would be called if you stopped by any stores or banks on your way.
Dave, good that you are getting on with your training. Yup, it is difficult to start on some days. I like the days that once I do get going that I am glad.
Christa, sorry DD is sick. Get well soon.

Lily - What do you mean you might not play with us in January???? It doesn’t look like DH is interested and I’m thinking the funding might be difficult. It makes me really sad to not be planning on being there. I really enjoyed the last 2 years at this time.

Not training like I should have been.....and need to really get my act together. I have a 1/2 to do April 1.....I need to be ready for that one! ****======>Liz
****============>Liz
****==================>Liz
****========================>Liz

<========Lily prodding Liz You can do it!

PD for job and wogging Liz

I am digging in for sure now. I am back from any obligations I've got pending, have only one more work thing pending and I am determined to get myself inthe training mode.

Who asked what it was I am currently working toward? I will be participating in the Lasalle Bank Columbus Capital City Half Marathon (Columbus, Ohio) on April 1st.

TXBelle
02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I went to the gym this morning and did 10 miles on the bike. Then I did 20 reps of WL on various machines. In kind of a blah mood today. It's still cold and dreary here in Houston. Maybe a Starbucks would cheer me up. :scratchin I'll try that later.

TnTsParty
02-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Hi all ~ I am new to walking/running. I am actually thinking of doing the Race for the taste 10k in Oct at WDW so I am starting my preparing now. Since I am pretty much a beginner at this I am starting off slow. Walked 1.5 miles yesterday in just over 20 minutes (gosh that seems so long compared to the 15 minute mile ~ but I am just starting out and that is walking with not very much jogging) This morning I did a mile walk in 18 minutes. I am taking it slow so I don't injure myself (and also so I don't burn out and quit) I am known to start exercising and then quit after 2 sessions because I pushed myself too hard right away ~ like when I tried riding my bike for exercise, I started out with 4 miles in 30 minutes but only ended up riding for 2 days) So I am hoping to be commited to this thing and keep with it (that is the main reason for me wanting to do the 10K in Oct. at least I will have a goal to work toward.)

Hope to be here for a while and get better as time goes along (and hopefully I will be able to make the whole 10k in Oct)

wtpclc
02-20-2006, 01:39 PM
TnTsParty - Welcome! SLow is the way to st art. SOUnds like you're doing great, though. As you wilikely hear often. ALl that matters right now is getting the steps in. DOn't worry about the pace. SOunds lie a great start to me!

Heather - I think there has been a severe case of the blahs going around. I say find teh nearest Starbucks fast! ;)

Lily - I think mom needs a solo trip then. *Insert whiney voice here* You can't not come. :worried:

littlegreydonkey
02-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Morning - well I'm still in one piece, although I ache more from our recovery walk last night than I did from the half. We were going to do a slow jog but it was about 3 minutes into the route and no-one had actually started running yet (there were 5 of us who'd all run the half or the 11km the day before) so we decided this was a sign to just do a brisk walk - we got to about 5km and my friend (who's done two half marathons in the last 8 days so not exactly a lightweight) says 'are anyone elses quads really hurting' and we were all suffering - so, I now have even more respect for everyone keeping up that sub 16 minute mile pace, that stuff hurts!!!

Might go to the gym tonight and lift a rather plump guinea pig (I'm not quite up to elephants yet) but we'll see how I feel at 4.30. Tuesday is normally a rest day for me, but if I'm going to fit in 4 runs a week and 2-3 gym appointments it looks like I'm going to have to give up one of my rest days. You know that saying 'the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak' I'm the other way round - the flesh wants to go, the brain wants to lie on the sofa with a copy of In Touch!!

Anyway, better go - got feature to write on why PMS makes you fat, then I have to go to the English shop up the road and buy 20 bags of chips to get their calorie counts for another job - me thinks I'd better not buy any I like or my one carb meal a day could get very crunchy!!! Helen

magslite
02-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Nancy, prayers to you and your family on the loss of your mother in law. May her memory be a blessing.

Maggie

magslite
02-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Good afternoon!

After a long weekend of work, I was able to squeeze a r/w in this morning. It felt great. I missed much of last week. It was just a bad week. But, a new week has begun and last week is in the past.

Sunny - you look cool! I just have no desire to run outside in the cold weather.

Krista - that shadow box is great!

It seems a lot of you have booked your rooms for 2007. Is this necessary? Is anyone looking/planning on staying at any of the value resorts?

Maggie

wtpclc
02-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Maggie - I was able to book Pop for Friday night at 6 months out for 2006. So, it's not urgent, but don't wait too long. 3 weeks out, from Thur to Sun the only ones available were OKW and SSR.

magslite
02-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks Carrie!

I stayed at pop the last time we visited and will be staying there this May. I figured I may as well stay there for the marathon weekend too. The rates are always so great!

Maggie

MelRhoads
02-20-2006, 03:09 PM
i totally have the blahs!! I think it is the taper depression. I'm just too hyperactive to taper. Having the boy sick last week pretty much forced the taper. I am going to do 2 short runs this week (hopefully ) b/4 the weekend.

It seems that a lot of people are missing today!

Krista - I love the shadowbox. Mine didn't look nearly that nice, but it's done now so i'm not going to crack it open. I love the pictures! They look really cool

Tiger Lily 03
02-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi WISH Team!

TnTsParty, Great to have you here! Welcome. You've got it. Slow and steady, and you will be fine. Your time will increase as you get some under your belt. Don't push too fast too soon. We don't want to lose you. Let us know how you are doing. Soon, you won't want to stop either.

Lily - I think mom needs a solo trip then. *Insert whiney voice here* You can't not come. :hug: LYMI! I am going to keep at my training and see what happens as time goes on. It does make it a little sadder for me though b/c I haven't made the actual registration or formal commitment. It is feeling good that I am training and I am enjoying that.

:wizard: Blahs be gone! everyone.

Exercise of the week: (I just thought I'd try to "inspire.") :scratchin

As we are sittin' around not wanting to make those steps. Get your toes moving and trace the alphabet. (This is good to aid in stronger muscles where shin splints might creep in cuz we're all blahing around here not wanting to put in those steps I'm thinking.)
Everyone, that is A-Z! (Don't leave a letter behind.) When yer done, One more time!
:teeth:

TEK224
02-20-2006, 04:14 PM
TnTsparty - Welcome!

Krista - Love your shadow box. I'm working on mine. If I can figure out how to post the photo, I will.

Christa - I'd love to see the day when I can say my pace was kinda slow -only 10 mpm.

Nancy - :grouphug: and :wizard: :wizard: for you and your family.

Carrie - Love your Winnie the Pooh!

Don't know how much I'll be posting the rest of the week. Will be out of town for a conference from Wed-Sun. Hotel has a nice fitness center so I'll be able to get my workouts in. I sometimes do better at my workouts when I'm out of town. No distractions! :)

Terri

TiffJ
02-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi All !!! My boys come home today :cool1: They have been with grandparents in Mobile since Friday.

Also, I booked POR with Anthony Travel today for the Minnie. I am so excited about staying onsite again. Has anyone else used them before? I know they have to be legit since Disney is using them as their agency for the event, but I'm such a control freak (are all us WDW obsessed people) I don't like it being in someone else's hands. Got a great rate so I couldnt pass it up.

I did 40 min on the dreadmill today & ST. Felt pretty good. I can't wait to train outside again. This is driving me nuts.

TnTsParty-Welcome! You will love it here. Everyone is right. You have plenty of time to improve your pace. Just put in those steps and it will come. :thumbsup2

Helen-that's hilarious, plump guinea pig :rotfl:

Maggie-we didnt book our room until end of Aug or beg. Sept last year. We stayed at WL. You have some time, but I think the PO resorts filled up faster because of proximity to start line. We added a night at POP and didnt book that till November. We loved the Pop by the way!

Liz-good luck with the interview pixiedust:

MelR-congrats to your DH :banana:

gatorphipps
02-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Christa - You need to get your dd trained fo rwhen to be sick and when not to! ;) Hope she's better soon!
Thanks to all the WISHes for DD to get better...after my meeting..We went to the indoor track at our church. She counted my laps (20 laps are 1 mile :scared: ). I did 3 miles:
mile 1: 8 MPM
mile 2: 9MPM - had to stop and answer a question from DD
mile 3: 8:something...I forgot to turn off my watch and did not look at it as I passed DDs "finish line".

OH........this weekend, DD5 told one of her friends that I won the WDW marathon and that is why I got a Donald, Mickey, and Goofy. :rotfl2: She is so proud of my winning! :hyper: I have told her I didnot, but in her mind I won and daddy (who also ran Goofy) came in 2nd. :thumbsup2 I'm a winner! :goodvibes

jodistar
02-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Good Evening Everyone,

Tonight's Treadmill Work:
3.7 - 5 minutes
5.7 - 10 minutes
3.7 - 5 minutes
5.7 - 10 minutes
3.7 - 5 minutes
5.7 - 5 minutes
3.7 - 5 minutes
5.7 - 5 minutes (a little over 4 miles at this point)
2.9 - 10 minutes (cool down - at this point 4.57)

I looked really fast at the TM and it said something like my overall minute/mile was 13.09 or something like that, is that good? I mean for a beginner :confused3 ? I hope so.....I'm really working hard :goodvibes

If it wasn't so late I would do my Winsor Pilates.....I guess that will have to wait until tomorrow night.

Have a good night everyone :thumbsup2 ,

Jodi

Mouse Skywalker
02-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Good Morning Everyone: :surfweb:

I was away for the weekend. We took a family trip to Cleveland to visit my sister-in-law. It was a great weekend. SIL watched the princesses so DW and I could go see a movie, and we all then went to the science museum. I didn't walk at all in order to give my shins a rest. Here's my training update:

Fri - elliptical and then yoga
Sat- rest
Sun - rest
Mon - 2 mile walk on treadmill

Yeah, I walked again on Monday for the first time in a week. My shin felt OK. I didn't feel any of the sharp pain which was good, and I iced it in the evening.

OK, I'm going back now to catch up with everyone's going on.

Mouse Skywalker
02-21-2006, 06:53 AM
:yoda: :surfweb:

I know I won't be able to reply to everyone, but I did want to send a couple messages to people.

Nancy - I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. Please accept my sympathy.

Mel - wow, I am always amazed at the connections between people here on this thread. My research is in neuroendocrinology and I use to teach endocrinology in my courses at Middlebury College.

Amy - where in Vermont were you? I used to live for 5 years in Middlebury, VT., and learned to ski at the Middlebury Snow Bowl. Ooooh, those winters can get cold. I remember some -20 temps without any wind chill.

Jodi - your TM workouts are great! Your running parts are faster than 10 mpm pace. You are doing fantastic!

Sunny - so what did you come away with in the heist? :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Seriously, good for you for getting out there in the wind and cold. You go girl!

Christa - I hope your DD5 gets better soon. Our DD5 princess: just went through a cold herself and was miserable. She has now passed her cold on to DW and now I'm fighting it too.

MelR - Hey, congrats to DH on his win in the adventure race!!! Good luck with your 26.2 mile "training" run.

Liz - good luck with everything you've got going on. Sounds like life is busy for you right now.

TnTSParty :welcome: party: Hey, you'll find this group is great. I just joined a couple weeks ago and they have been so welcoming and such an inspiration. Welcome to the TEAM!

Lily - I like your exercise suggestion. I really need to strengthen my shins. Question, when you are tracing the alphabet are you moving your whole foot or just your toes?

Good luck with your training everyone. I'm going to try to keep walking this week and strengthen those shin muscles. I'm feeling more motivated this week than last.

wtpclc
02-21-2006, 08:12 AM
jodi -Awesome Pace!!

Christa - Your dd is the greatest! You won, daddy 2nd. I love it. My db's text said that I beat my dh by a second (official times did not). My wonderful dh told people that I beat him buy a second. :goodvibes

I think it was MelC's dd that said mommy had run X number of races, but she never wins. :rotfl2:

TXBelle
02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Good morning everyone! Glad you made it back safely Dave. Terri- Have a safe trip.

Another :rolleyes: moment: My DH has not signed up for the marathon yet. He has run it the past 2 years (finishing in just over 4 hours both times). I signed up the first day registration opened. For those who don't know me, this will be my first marathon. I asked DH when he was going to register, and he said he did not know. I told him he could just go and watch next year. He said that he was thinking he might do the marathon with me, which means he won't have to start training until at least October (i.e., you are so slow I don't have to train to be able to keep up with you for 26.2 miles). :furious: He's probably right, but how insulting. I have basically been training for the full marathon for 2 years now (doing the 1/2 in 2005 & 2006). He can train in 3 months? :( Okay, vent's over. He really is the best and very supportive of me. :love: I don't think he meant to diminish my accomplishments or my abilities. He's just a guy and doesn't get it sometimes.

Today was a stonker at the gym. I struggled through 1.5 miles of run3/walk2 and then just walked for another mile. I think the 10 miles on the bike yesterday wore out my legs. I might go back to walk3/run2 for a while and see if that works better after my bike rides. It is just so hard to get the image out of my head that in order to be a marathoner you have to be a runner. I know that is not true because I am living proof of that (I walked the 1/2 in 2005 and walked/ran the 1/2 in 2006), but I still have this overwhelming drive to run in order to validate myself as an athlete. But running hurts my hip and my knees and my shins if I run for too long, even if I run slowly. I guess the point is that I am still trying to find the right balance. :duck:

TnTsParty
02-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I walked another mile today. I had to go to the grocery store which is .5 miles from home. So I walked there and back. Also in the afternoons I joined a group of people from work that walk around our building. The only thing is they walk at too slow of pace and only go around once ~ I may go around a second time without them today. I am taking it slow and haven't burnt out yet (I made it past 2 days so now lets see if I can last longer than a week!!)

msblrobs
02-21-2006, 10:06 AM
It is just so hard to get the image out of my head that in order to be a marathoner you have to be a runner. I know that is not true because I am living proof of that (I walked the 1/2 in 2005 and walked/ran the 1/2 in 2006), but I still have this overwhelming drive to run in order to validate myself as an athlete. But running hurts my hip and my knees and my shins if I run for too long, even if I run slowly. I guess the point is that I am still trying to find the right balance. :duck:

Coming out of lurker mode to tell you in no way do you have to run the marathon to validate yourself as an athlete!! There are many folks who can walk a marathon faster than I can run one. I sincerely hope you're able to find a r/w balance that works best for you.

Also, about your DH...I am sort of in the same situation as he is in the fact that I have been running for years and my DH is a newbie. I have no doubt that your DH is in no way diminishing your accomplishments. It is just a fact that he can, at this point, run a marathon with minimal training. That just comes with experience, which only time can provide. It is great he is so supportive and you can see that. I know I am so excited that my DH now shares my running passion and it is something we can do together. He is even running the Minnie with me :love:

Nancy - Deepest sympathies for your loss. Prayers to you & your family.

MelR - best of luck with the Cowtown this weekend.

Lizdotcom - Finding some sick comfort that others are sharing my current mindset :confused3

Helen - :rotfl2: About the plump guinea pig and the writing assignment. Congrats on your run!!

TiffJ - Can you give me the info on Anthony Travel for the Minnie?

TnTsParty - Welcome!! :cheer2: You'll get loads of helpful advice and encouragement here.

Christa - Way too sweet about your DD. Isn't it awesome to be a hero in someone's eyes?

I had a wonderful 5 mile run this morning on my trusty treadmill. No way am I as brave as Sunny and attempt to run outside in the near 0 temps. You have my utmost respect!! I spent loads of time over the long weekend infront of the fireplace.

Best of luck to everyone with training this week.

MelRhoads
02-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Heather - sorry you felt diminished! You are already an athlete whether you run or not!!! I'm sure he didn't mean that he wouldn't have to train to do the marathon w/ you. It sounds like he has been training for several yrs. as well, since he has done the marathon 2 times. I have been begging phil to do the "26.2 mile training run" w/ me at the end of march. I think he was actually feeling quite a bit of pressure :teeth: . Last night I asked him if he knew why I wanted him to do it and he said "no". I had to confess that it was just b/c i didn't want to run that far all by myself!!!!! :confused3 :confused3

I think the blahs are a little better today!! The boy finally went back to preschool. we have been joined at the hip since last wednesday. I had him all weekend in the ice storm since phil was racing and we couldn't go anywhere! He was probably happy to get away from me for a little while too.

Phil and i are going to do a short run today (recovery run for him and taper run for me)

This weekend, i'll make sure and take my laptop and give a race report and post pics if our host has highspeed.

Dave - glad to hear you are back at it!!!

Jodi - that seems like a great pace to me!!!

MelRhoads
02-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Sara - HI!!!!!! Thanks for the well-wishes!!!! I would have been in front of the fireplace all weekend too if we had had any wood (i used it all long ago! :teeth: )

Honeibee
02-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone -

I've had a heck of a three-day weekend. Mist acted up on me both Sat and Sun, rearing up and spooking and in general just being out of control. Seems like she has seen more abuse then we were aware of. This saddens me on so many levels. I was very upset and depressed and frustrated all weekend. Sunday morning I didn't even train, so no LW for me this weekend. The vet came by yesterday and we had a long talk. She gave me a little training program for her and some encouraging words. Today I feel better about the whole situation but I sure am starting from square one with her. Oh and BTW, the vet told me Mist must have had a baby not that long ago. I feel badly for her, after all she's been thru, and she was pregnant during it all too. Poor thing.

Nancy - Sorry to hear about your MIL. That is very sad. :grouphug:

Sunny - I always enjoy your pictures. Keep 'em coming! :goodvibes

This morning I did 45 min on the TM @ 3.7 @ 1%, w/5 min @ 2% and I ran the last minute @ 4. I think I'm ready to kick it up to 3.8 and add some more incline here and there. I'm actually starting to get anxious to take this show on the road. It almost feels like spring today so I'm starting to think about hitting the blacktop.

Judy

TiffJ
02-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Today was early a.m. swimming. And I had to do it without my morning caffeinne. No diet coke in the house :eek: I did 500 yds but felt like a lead balloon. Kept feeling like I was too far under the water. That's new. I blame it on the no diet coke thing.

Happy training everyone!

wtpclc
02-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Heatehr - :grouphug: You know from last year's rants, that I know exactly what you're felling with you dh. It would be even more depressing for you to have him join you in October and be faster. :( You need to train together some to see if you can do it together, because at 4 hours, he's cruisin'. However, if you can do it, it's wonderful to have someone there of ryou to run with. There was something awesome about doing it together. :wizard:

As for feeling you need to run to validate yourself as a runner, I understand that too. However, there is really no need! You are an athelete!!! Don't forget that! If your body can't do it, it can't do it. Don't push. Running is hard on your joints and it's not worth risking injury. The point is to cross the finish line. Remember? :)

littlegreydonkey
02-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Poor Mist - can you give rescue remedy to horses? My mother recently took on a rescue dog and he has similar ex abuse issues, and he's started on various bach flower remedies to chill him out so the doggy psychologist can start working on him - and it seems to be doing the trick. I hasten to add my mother is not Paris Hilton, just a normal woman in her 50s, but for some reason there is a dog psychologist where she lives!!!

Didn't lift the plump guinea pig last night, in fact couldn't have lifted a thin one. Suddenly realised that one of my travel jabs needed booster before I go next week so rang for an appointment, and she said 'you can come in an hour' so I spent all last night with a very painful arm!! It's a one hour run tonight though. See you later. Helen

donac
02-21-2006, 02:23 PM
I told this group a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to walk the 1/2 marathon next January. I have come to realize that financially that might not be possible, so I have decided to try to do the 2008. I am just getting into walking and it might be better not to push it since my feet are very delicate. I do plan to walk a marathon next April here in Jersey. At the end of April is the Jersey shore marathon and this year they have added on the 1/2. They are doing two loops around Long Branch here in Central Jersey. I think that this is my new goal and then go for the 1/2 in Disney in 2008. This might work better at showing my husband that I mean business when I say I want to do the Disney marathon.

I will be chekcing out this site every now and then and putting in my 2 cents. You are a very inspirational group.

TXBelle
02-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Didn't lift the plump guinea pig last night, in fact couldn't have lifted a thin one. Suddenly realised that one of my travel jabs needed booster before I go next week so rang for an appointment, and she said 'you can come in an hour' so I spent all last night with a very painful arm!! It's a one hour run tonight though. See you later. Helen

Okay Helen, I give up. What is a travel jab? Does that happen as the result of a stonker? :teeth:

Dona- We will miss you at WDW next year, but keep putting in those steps. We had several people last year who joined in 2005 as part of the 2007 WISH Team. You can be the first person on the list for the 2008 WISH Team. :cool2: Just keep posting!

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words. :grouphug: I think Carrie's suggestion of trying a few training runs together to see if it will work is a good one. The thought of my DH being by my side the whole marathon and cheering me on and crossing the finish line hand in hand is incredible. :sad: Okay, now I'm tearing up. Better get back to work. :badpc:

TEK224
02-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi All!

Had a few minutes free at work and thought, what better way to spend them than checking the Dis :goodvibes .

I did it! I made the commitment! I just registered for the DL 1/2. It's gonna be crazy. I'm going all that wat for 3 days :eek: Will arrive on Friday and take a red-eye back home on Sunday night/Mon. morning.

While I would love to spend more time at DL and CA, in general, I have a family trip to WDW leaving on Oct. 1st.

But there's something special about doing a race that is a "1st". So this year I would have done the 1st Goofy Challenge and now the 1st DL 1/2. Yeah!!

Terri

Mouse Skywalker
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
OK - I'm trying to keep training through my sniffles and cold. I walked 2.5 miles on the treadmill in about a 15 mpm pace. My shin felt OK, not great, but OK. I don't have the sharp pain in it like I did with my shin splints, but it does feel different. Now I don't know if I'm just hypersensitive to it. I'm trying to do some toe lifts and isometric exercises to strengthen it too.

Dona - Let us know how your training is going for the marathon in April. Sorry things won't work out for you to be in WDW next January. Good for you though for making the committment to fitness and also for being fiscally responsible. Those are probably two of the toughest things to do.

Judy - Sorry to hear you had such a hard time with Mist this weekend. Good luck for the tough job you have ahead of you.

gatorphipps
02-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Another :rolleyes: moment: My DH has not signed up for the marathon yet. He has run it the past 2 years (finishing in just over 4 hours both times). I signed up the first day registration opened. For those who don't know me, this will be my first marathon. I asked DH when he was going to register, and he said he did not know. I told him he could just go and watch next year. He said that he was thinking he might do the marathon with me, which means he won't have to start training until at least October (i.e., you are so slow I don't have to train to be able to keep up with you for 26.2 miles). :furious: He's probably right, but how insulting. I have basically been training for the full marathon for 2 years now (doing the 1/2 in 2005 & 2006). He can train in 3 months? :( Okay, vent's over. He really is the best and very supportive of me. :love: I don't think he meant to diminish my accomplishments or my abilities. He's just a guy and doesn't get it sometimes.
Heather - You are awesome for trying (see my quotes in my sig...). However, I agree with the following!
I think Carrie's suggestion of trying a few training runs together to see if it will work is a good one. The thought of my DH being by my side the whole marathon and cheering me on and crossing the finish line hand in hand is incredible. DH and I run training runs together and normally start out running the races together. I am a little faster in distance than him, he can beat me in a sprint, so near the end is when I can really get going. We have run the Goofy and WDW 2005 "together". But never finish together. We are fine with that though. He would rather listen to the MP3 player while I want to run and chat. This year, we ran together until mile 20 b/c his knee was hurting. My talking got on his nerves so he told me to go on. He finished about 20 min behind me. I did stay in the area and wait for him though! :love:

No working out for me today. DD5 still sick and I can feel the fat rolls forming! Maybe it is all the brownies. :tongue: It is BEAUTIFUL in Charlotte so I am DYING to get out. DH is working late so there is nothing I can do! I did think about riding up and down my street (in front of my house) on my bike, but DD is to sick to leave. Am I selfish? :sad:

Judy - pixiedust: pixiedust: to you and Mist!

Helen - I am glad someone else asked b/c I don't know what a travel jab is either.

OH gotta go Kim Possible is coming on...My favorite! :worship:

solotraveler
02-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Hey guys..... remember me?!?! :blush:

I have been SO remiss in my posting the past, oh, 6 weeks and therefore SO remiss in my running the past 6 weeks. Funny how that happens?!?! Well, I am back and here to stay!

A quick perusal of the thread shows that most everyone is still around which is WONDERFUL!! Howdy to the new folks as well! :wave:

My very nearly completed and long overdue race report is almost finished. (Much like my Goofy training plan, I guess) I've been so busy with work and school that I just haven't had the time to get to it. I hope to have it up by tomorrow, though. I did get my medal plaque dealy from Crossing the Line the other day and it looks GREAT. It's hanging right here by my computer where I'll see it all the time.

I know I'm going to miss people, but:

Nancy- So sorry to hear of your loss. :grouphug:

Helen- Congrats on the Half-marathon!! And a great time too!!

Carrie- I love that new signature picture! And wait...what's that... 2nd Disney Marathon trip countdown ticker?? I must have missed an announcement.... How COOL!! :banana:

OK, back to the grind,
Happy training!
Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

xterratri
02-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Helen to American English translation-
Travel jab= shot/immunization. At least that was my understanding, and the sore arm tends to be my experience with immunizations especially tetanus. I took almost all my shot records to OBC last summer but missed the paperwork for the tetanus shot I had gotten prior to starting med school so I got another tetanus plus a menigitis plus Hep A. I was relatively lucky in that I only got 3, some people got up to 7.

Judy- good luck w/ Mist. The before pictures were heartbreaking and now to find out she was even more mistreated. I just don't understand what some people can do to other people especially children and eldery and animals. Great job on your exercise though. You are being really consistent and that is awesome.

Christa- PD for your daughter. I want to hear reports of your new bike and you can't do that if she's still sick. Basically I going through bike envy because it's taking longer to get mine that I thought it was going to.

Dona- keep stopping in. Don't worry if you're not able to get to Disney to 2008. I really hope to go in 2007 but don't know for sure yet so I may not be back until 2008 either.

Heather- YOU are an athlete. Don't let DH get you down and remember that you can do lots of stuff he can't and you CAN do it even if it takes a bit longer than his pace.

Terry- I want to do the DL 1/2 for the same reason, that innaugral castle medal. Plus the course sounds neat. I haven't been to DL since 1991. But real life intrudes and I can't fly to the other side of the country the week after having taken a long weekend to do Ironman Wisconsin.

TiffJ- yeah for the swimming. I find all early morning workouts challenging no matter what the sport so don't let it get you down. How is the new bike?

Liz- PD for the job search.

Hi to MelR, Sara, TnTsParty, Carrie, Dave(yes, you may be a little hypersensitive to the shin know), and anyone else I missed.

Ran 7.07 mi and swam 2700 yds yesterday. Did the spinervals Totally time trial DVD on the bike today. It was the first lactate threshold session on the bike this year and wow is that challenging. I realized that the reason I'm an endurance athlete is that in general we don't push that hard because you would blow up and I don't like pushing hard in that manner. I tolerate it a little better swimming but really don't like it running and apparently not cycling either.

Tiger Lily 03
02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Lynne, that was my guess on the travel jab. = update on shot(s) needed to go. Let’s see how well I speak international. Tee Hee.

Dave, do the alphabet with foot using the toes (like spinning around your foot at the ankle) not the whole leg. You will feel the muscles in the front of your shins as you do this.

Kevin, glad you stopped by. Don't be a stranger.

Judy, I hope that Mist gets those demons worked out of her. Sounds sad. She is lucky you have her now. There were “before” pictures? Where!?

Good for the Pilates and the TM runs and everyone keeping on.

Sorry about the fiscal woes. I’m there too. Sigh.

Sara, I liked what you had to say. Thanks for that. It is so true.

As for running/walking/wogging with a DH or DW that is a faster event person, please don’t let it get to you. My brother who encouraged my first effort with 5k participation did the absolute best thing while he created this monster in me. He is faster, he has done the marathon faster than me. He went with me to my first ever 5k. I felt overwhelmed by his presence. When I told him, his response was that he was enjoying the event through my eyes and that enjoyment was priceless. He did not try to get me to run faster than I was able and always said such supportive things. (I understand that spouses have the privilege of “stepping over the line” of that and becoming advisors where they may not be welcome.)

I hope that whoever is making the steps to becoming involved in this activity can some day feel that WE are ALL together in this. John Bingham really says it in his books. It is true. We are doing it and all deserve to be part of this wonderful opportunity. Take hold and keep at it.

Please don’t feel like you should be going faster. Do what works for you. Have fun doing it and you will not be sorry. As time goes and you become stronger, you will begin to feel that you might be able to go a bit faster, but if you don’t or can’t then let it be ok too. The experiment with all this is part of the fun.

MouseDogMom
02-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Another newbie here. Decided 10 days ago I wanted to run the 5K at the Minnie without ever having run anything in my life. I'm at least able to walk/run 2-3 miles a day comfortably, and the past 2 days I've run at least 1/2 mile. I'm not even looking at time yet, just trying to convince my body that it can do the distance. Nothing like you marathoners, but it's a start! Maybe I'll join you guys in 2008, or 2009, or 2010...

TiffJ, I'm with you on having problems giving up control and booking with Anthony Travel! It seems so WRONG not doing it all myself, but I booked AKL last night.

plutosmyfav
02-21-2006, 09:08 PM
I realized that the reason I'm an endurance athlete is that in general we don't push that hard because you would blow up and I don't like pushing hard in that manner. I tolerate it a little better swimming but really don't like it running and apparently not cycling either.

I totally agree with that. I'll take distance over speed any day. My ~5 mile speed sessions are so much harder than my LRs. But I want to push my threshold and gain speed :confused3 I guess its really the "no pain no gain"!

I am blah today. I was feeling really tired, irritable and dreading my workout so I looked through my records. I discovered I haven't taken a rest day in 26 days! :eek: I've been in "auto pilot" mode, just racking up the minutes every time I can. So I didn't go to the gym or the Y today. Instead, Dx and I ordered Chinese and watched a movie (sitting on the couch, not bouncing on the trampoline!). I feel like a slug already.

Sunny

disnygoof
02-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Wow! Everyone is doing so great in their training! You guys are very inspiring and motivating. :cheer2:

Didn't post yesterday's work out - 1.25 hours cardio, 45 minutes weights/abs. Cardio was Stairclimber, Precor and Octane :Pinkbounc

Today, all cardio, 1.5 hours (Precor, Stepper and TurboKick class!)

Ugh, I wish I could post more! Darn work and school! I'll try to post more! Keep up the great work everyone!!! :grouphug:

AmyBeth68
02-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I told this group a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to walk the 1/2 marathon next January. I have come to realize that financially that might not be possible, so I have decided to try to do the 2008. I am just getting into walking and it might be better not to push it since my feet are very delicate. I do plan to walk a marathon next April here in Jersey. At the end of April is the Jersey shore marathon and this year they have added on the 1/2. They are doing two loops around Long Branch here in Central Jersey. I think that this is my new goal and then go for the 1/2 in Disney in 2008. This might work better at showing my husband that I mean business when I say I want to do the Disney marathon.

I will be chekcing out this site every now and then and putting in my 2 cents. You are a very inspirational group.

Are you doing the Jersey SHore 1/2 in April 2007? If so...I'm thinking of doing it as well :). That would be great! I can't do it for April 06 as I'm not properly trained yet..instead I've registered for a 5K here. It sounds like your goals and training plan are awesome! :cool1:

AmyBeth68
02-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi gang...back from Vermont. Skiied hard for 3 days....the conditions were brutal. Lots of ice = LOTS of leg work. Digging in my edges to control my speed :teeth: ....it was a GREAT leg workout. It felt like I did 1000 squats! So even though I missed my LR on Sunday :( , at least I was busy!

Today we drove 6 hours from Vermont back to NJ. I got out of the car, ran to my room and put on my running gear. My first mile felt GREAT but after that it was TOUGH!!! :crazy2: Guess that long drive and tired skiing legs caught up with me and I really had to power through my run. It was probably only 2.5 miles (at most) but it felt like 100 today. It didn't help that I hadn't eaten since b'fast....but I had to get the run in before taking the kids to practice. So...oh well....it's done :goodvibes .

Dave: We were up in Stowe, VT. LOVE that mountain...but the conditions all over the East are really dangerous for skiing right now. It is solid ice...they'll probably be skiing until June with the thick ice they've got up there LOL! It was 60 on Thursday, then rained all day Friday then turned FRIGID cold. I've never seen so many injuries! I took it S-L-O-W the whole time...kept thinking that an injury would really mess up my running training. Guess I'm going a little nutty with this "running" thing. :scratchin

MouseDogMom: CONGRATS on your goal for the 5K! :thumbsup2 Sounds like you are starting off great!

Sunny: 26 days without rest!! :eek: You rock girlfriend! :worship: But good for you for taking a much needed break. Recharging your batteries once in a while does not make you a slug! It's well deserved!!! Hope you enjoyed your rest :goodvibes .

Everyone is doing so great! It inspires me to read all your training and goals! Keep it up!!! :thumbsup2

littlegreydonkey
02-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Congrats Heather on starting the first entry in the 2006 edition of Helen's dictionary of English phrases - and well done Lynne and Carrie for the correct translation - and our resident doc even correctly identified the painful jab - hep A and B!!. I will be delivering prizes at the end of the year!!

Dona - welcome to the 2008 team, I think I'm on that one too.

Anyway, just passing 10 minutes before I have to leave for my run - arm still hurts and we're going to do hills. There are times when I'm sure I should have taken up darts instead!!!

jodistar
02-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Morning Everyone,

Well Today's the day......the day I hope to finally go running with the ****ord Road Racers (the group I joined).

Of course, this is as long as I am not too tired - I was kept up most of the night by our neighbor's upstairs from us.....11:30 at night being awakened by a thunder up above. I'm not sure how I am going to function today but I'm hoping that coffee will bring me through the day and this sleepiness will just go away. I'm bringing a change of clothes with me today incase things work in my favor and I am able to get there on-time.

I still have to catch up on posts, I will do that once I arrive at work.

Have a good day everyone!

Jodi

Mouse Skywalker
02-22-2006, 06:25 AM

Lily - I just want to say that you have the best attitude! You really have a great perspective on life, running, etc. I hope your son is doing well.

MouseDogMom - Welcome! :welcome: Congrats for signing up for the 5k at the Minnie. Don't belittle your efforts at all - you are out there running and walking and doing what is the best for you and your body (like Lily said).

Sunny - OK, congrats to you for taking a rest day. I'm sure your body will thank you for it, and you will be even stronger today. I hope the Chinese take out and movie helped get rid of the blahs.

Disnygoof - great job on your workouts. Sounds like you are doing fantastic!

Amy - Cool, you were up at Stowe. It is beautiful up there. We spent Thanksgiving a couple years ago at the Stoweflake resort. Sounds like it was :cold: I'm really impressed with your training too. You are really taking off with your running. Congratulations!

Jodi - Let us know how the running goes with your running club. I have filled out the forms to try the "Learn to Run" program again at our local running shoe store. It's a 12 week program that slowly builds us to running for 30 min. This is the program I didn't make it through last year. I'm determined to make it through this year though.

Have a great day everyone!

TiffJ
02-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Jodi-have fun with your running club!

Amy-those aliens do have you, running right after a 6 hr car ride. :thumbsup2 And yes, I'm sure your body didnt have all the energy it needed from no food. I have found that makes a big difference. I know what you mean about thinking about gettiing hurt messing up your training. 3 weeks before the 1/2 DS had a birthday party at the ice skating rink. I love to go ice skating, but it is hard on your ankles and I was already having problems at this point so I made DH take him. There was no way I was going to get hurt 3 weeks before the race.

Lynne-bike is awesome! I'm hoping the weather improves Thur so I can ride :moped: Your workout rocks! :cool1:

MouseDogMom-yea! another WISHer at the Minnie! :cool1: You are doing great with your training, just put in those steps and you'll have no problem. Anthony Travel had great rates, the AKL was an awesome rate, but since this is a girls weekend I had to do it on a budget so we are at POR. Oh-if you really want to, you have plenty of time to get ready for the '07 half!

disnygoof-dont you hate it when real life gets in the way of DIS life :teeth:

Lily- I did my alphabet training yesterday

Kevin-Welcome Back!

Dave-hope you get rid of that cold soon

Well, I am going on a field trip today with 14 4 year olds :eek: We are going to Lowes for the craft, Publix & lunch at Pizza Inn. Should be fun. Have a great day everyone!

MelRhoads
02-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Well, I am going on a field trip today with 14 4 year olds We are going to Lowes for the craft, Publix & lunch at Pizza Inn. Should be fun. Have a great day everyone!

Tiff - that is INSANE!!!!!! For sure you should count that as cross training.

Kevin - We really missed you. I'm glad you are back

I really enjoyed the travel jab mystery!

Phil and i ran a hilly 3 miles yesterday. OUr pace was around 9;59mpm. I am going to do 2 today. I realized since i am doing cowtown and hogeye as training runs for the 50 mile trail run in april, i really should not be tapering. I think we are going to try to step it up and do some more trail work b/4 april 22!!

Jodi - i hope you are able to go tonight to your running club. that sounds like fun.

Sunny - good job on deciding to rest!! wild woman!!!!

Dave - hope your cold gets better and good luck w/ your class!!

donac
02-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Amy, I did mean the Jersey shore Half marathon in April 2007.

I don't have any races planned but I hope to do the MS walk this April. I have a close friend with MS. Last year I did the MS 25 (surprised my husband and sons by doing it just 2 weeks before my 50th birthday) but I can't this year since my Goddaughter is making her confirmation so I want to do the walk.

Amy, where in Jersey do you live? I live at exit 105 on the parkway

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Hope to see everyone in 2008

Honeibee
02-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Good morning. :sunny:

Not much to report today as Wed is a rest day for me. I stayed in bed until 6:00am.

But honestly, I don't like rest days. DH and I were talking about that this morning. It feels like you get nothing accomplished. And I get edgy. :hyper: Plus I didn't get to see the end of Roman Holiday. :)

I know two days a week off is important. But I don't have to like it. :headache:

Dave - Thanks for you kind words about Mist. I'll just have to take her training like I take mine - baby steps, that's all, just baby steps. Sorry to hear about your sniffles. :sick: But good for you to not use it as an excuse to not train! :thumbsup2

Krista - Thanks for the PD. We'll get there, it will just take time. :goodvibes

Kevin - Yes! I remember you! Welcome back! I'm looking forward to your race report. :smooth:

Helen - "Helen to American English Translation" :lmao: Thanks for your kind thoughts on Mist. Sometimes I really hate people....Not you guys, but you know what I mean. :worried:

Lily - There were pictures of another horse that didn't make it. :sad: Thanks for the alphabet exercise. I love exercises I can do in my office!

MouseDogMom - Welcome! Wow, you are off to a GREAT start! You're way ahead of the game already!

Sunny - 26 days!?!?!?! You animal! No wonder you are tired. I think you are entitled to a little rest. And Chinese. :teeth:

Jodi - Have fun with your new group. :woohoo: Let us know how it goes. And grrr! to your neighbors!

OK, I'm going to pretend to work now. :coffee:

Judy

keenercam
02-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi, Guys! Nothing new to report here, though I've enjoyed lurking while on teleconferences, etc. I find myself wogging 2x/week these days, doing weight training 2x/week and a yoga/pilates once a week when I can. I also tend to do some bike time or elliptical time whenever possible.

Even though I haven't been posting here (takes a lot of time to keep up the exercise challenge thread and journal, etc.), I still think of you guys every day and love reading about Melissa's DH's adventure race, Helen's 1/2 marathon (ouchie on the travel jabs, though), Judy's TM time, and everyone else's great training efforts. I'll have to try Lily's alphabet training to further strengthen my lower legs. Can't wait to do that.

Have a great day, everyone!

P.S. Jenn got accepted to another University. That's 3 for 6 with 3 outstanding still, including her first choice which will notify mid-March. She is very "needy" right now and I am treasuring the time with her before she leaves me for Europe, then college. Andrew wowed all of us with his SAT performance (12 yr old 7th graders shouldnt' take the SAT and if they do, they shouldn't do better than most HS students we know), so he will be leaving us for 3 weeks this summer at the Johns Hopkins University program besides his 3 weeks at performing arts camp. I am so :sad: that they will both be away so much, but I am also thinking I will have to fill my lonely time with lots of training, hopefully some with DH.

littlegreydonkey
02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Exciting and new training plan!!!
Okay so we all know I've been a bit anti long-slow-running recently, so anyway I was whining away to the trainer at the gym the other day and he said 'okay, if you like sprinting then next time you get bored, sprint - then when you've had enough walk or jog or whatever'. So last night was hills - 10km of them, up down, up down - so I slogged my way through almost the first half with my running buddies running circles at the top of the hills waiting for me - and so I said, you guys go on, I'm probably going to turn round at the top of the next one.

But I didn't - I ran to the end of the hills, then on the way back - I sprinted the downhills, and walked the uphills - and guess what, I got back 30 seconds faster on the way back than the way out!!!! And had more fun - especially when running buddies caught up and despite outrunning me over long distances couldn't keep up with me on the sprints (just allow me a brief moment of feeling less hopeless there). So this could be my new plan - I am officially a fartlekker (had to get that in as I know Mel likes the word!!!).

keenercam
02-22-2006, 03:19 PM
fartlekker? :confused3 :lmao:

Honeibee
02-22-2006, 03:54 PM
I am officially a fartlekker (had to get that in as I know Mel likes the word!!!).

:lmao: OMG so does DH. It's that juvenile potty-humor thing he sometimes gets going. :rolleyes:

Oh LOOK! It's Cam! Hey everybody, it's CAAAAAM! :banana: :Pinkbounc :wave:

Judy

gatorphipps
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
DD is still sick and I am going crazy! DH works late again tonight. I am watching my sprint tri get close and I have only run 3 miles this week.... :eek: :scared: :crazy2:
PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THE REST WILL DO ME GOOD!
Helen - Love your training plan!

Cam - Congrats on Jenn and Andrew! :cool1:

Judy - I don't like rest days either, but they are important!

Melissa - Good luck on your 26.2 "training run".

As many of you know I will be going to Amman, Jordan this April. They have the Dead Sea Marathon the week b/4 I get there. I told DH that I wish it was held while we were there. Wouldn't that be the coolest! Running near the Dead Sea...It is the lowest point on earth..... :scratchin Oh well...it is not to be. I have, however, almost gotten him to agree on me running NY. Reg opens March 1st and they randomly choose by lottery who runs it.

AmyBeth68
02-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Fartlekker??? :rotfl2: Please expound on that one! But I had to laugh b/c I love to sprint. I always said my body was made for speed not endurance. It's those short muscular legs I have :teeth: . Sure wish they were long and lean though! Maybe I'll try that myself. But if I sprint I can guarantee I'll be walking for a little while afterward...huffing and puffing!

Cam: Congrats to your son. That is AMAZING that he did so well on SATs at age 12. My goodness!!! The theater camp he attends sounds fantastic. He was chatting back and forth with my DD on the other thread about theater. She's actually at her play practice right now....probably singing her solo as I write this! :goodvibes It's soooo much fun!

So today I went to kickboxing class. It was tough. I had a rough run yesterday and class wiped me out today. Should be interesting to see how my run goes tomorrow. I'm feeling sluggish....must be all the rich food I ate on our little ski vacation. I kept justifying the food because I was supposedly burning loads of calories trying to keep warm out there! Not sure that was rational thought. I'm eating healthy today...let's see if it makes any difference in my workout tomorrow. :confused3

Also, I was re-reading Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals book yesterday and found a passage I missed the first read through. It said that you shouldn't even try his training program unless you've been running for a year 3 times a week/30 minutes. Did you all pre-train for a year before beginning marathon training? I started training for the marathon with runs early February so I'm 11 months out. But prior to that I was active and exercised regularly...just not always running/walking. That should be okay right?

MelRhoads
02-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Christa - You are going to do fine!! The tri is probably not going to be that hard for you. I'll bet you will be itchin' to go after all of the rest!!!!!!!

Who could not laugh at fartlek?

Mouse Skywalker
02-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Christa: You'll be absolutely fine in your tri. You've been training so hard, just consider this time tapering and storing up energy. Your body knows what to do, and once you get out on the course you will have so much pent up energy you will just explode. I'm sure you'll be great!

keenercam
02-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Christa -- I am sure you are itching to get out and run, but I have to agree with Dave that your body knows what to do and you will be fine. I really did immediately think your body will react as if you are coming off a taper and will be rarin' to go. You're such a good mommy! :goodvibes: Thank you for the congrats to DD and DS, too. You are so sweet! :hug:

Amy -- Andrew was very excited to find someone who shares his passion for performing.

Judy -- You are too cute and funny! Hey, did I ever tell you how much I LOVED your WL wedding and hot tub pix? Absolutely gorgeous! Maybe you and DH can come over to the BCV hot tub in January and join the bunch of us for late night champagne (in plastic glasses, of course) to celebrate our sure-to-be-awesome performances marathon weekend!

Jodi -- I hope you got out to run with your group tonight! Be sure to tell us how it went!

WOW! I am really hoping for some mild weather here this weekend so I can do a LW. I have been craving that, but rarely have the energy and opportunity at the same time.

Hoping to get to yoga/pilates tonight.

jodistar
02-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Morning Everyone,

Well Today's the day......the day I hope to finally go running with the ****ord Road Racers (the group I joined).

Of course, this is as long as I am not too tired - I was kept up most of the night by our neighbor's upstairs from us.....11:30 at night being awakened by a thunder up above. I'm not sure how I am going to function today but I'm hoping that coffee will bring me through the day and this sleepiness will just go away. I'm bringing a change of clothes with me today incase things work in my favor and I am able to get there on-time.

I still have to catch up on posts, I will do that once I arrive at work.

Have a good day everyone!

Jodi

I wasn't able to make it in time to meet with the group (stuck at work :headache: ) - but will definetely be going this coming Saturday......too bad, I was looking forward to it all day today :( .

I will still be going to the fitness center though.

littlegreydonkey
02-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Helen's Danish/Swedish/Norwegian (oh I don't know where it comes from) to American dictionary entry 1: Fartlek-ker - person who fartleks
Entry 2: Fartlek - also known as speed play, basically its like intervals but not as structured. You want to run fast now, off you pop then - head for that lampost. You speed past the lampost - hoorah me. Feel sick now? That's okay have a little walk until you feel like doing something else.

christa - the rest will do you good.

Now will someone please tell me to go do some work- ah, that would be the bank manager.

perfectmatch300
02-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I am home, and finally starting to feel somewhat human again. Training has been pretty much down the tubes for me this month. I plan to see how I feel tomorrow, and if I continue to improve I plan to get out for a fresh start on training. I am sure I have taken a few steps back since the few workouts I have had the past 2 weeks have been stonkers! Oh, just remembered, I see the Ortho again tomorrow, too. I am not too sure what to expect from that because I do not think this past month has been a good test of how well the steroid injection in my knee worked with my training being off as much as it has. Still, I will go and see what he says.
Thanks to all of you for the :grouphug: prayers, and PD pixiedust: It really does help to know you are there!

AmyBeth68
02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
I am home, and finally starting to feel somewhat human again. Training has been pretty much down the tubes for me this month. I plan to see how I feel tomorrow, and if I continue to improve I plan to get out for a fresh start on training. I am sure I have taken a few steps back since the few workouts I have had the past 2 weeks have been stonkers! Oh, just remembered, I see the Ortho again tomorrow, too. I am not too sure what to expect from that because I do not think this past month has been a good test of how well the steroid injection in my knee worked with my training being off as much as it has. Still, I will go and see what he says.
Thanks to all of you for the :grouphug: prayers, and PD pixiedust: It really does help to know you are there!
pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: Here's triple the pixie dust for you!!!! Good luck with your ortho appt.

I'm starting to freak out now.....I read my books tonight and checked out a BUNCH of websites. Everything I'm reading says I should be running at least a full year at least 3 times per week before starting a marathon training. Have I jumped the gun? Should I not run the WDW marathon in 07??? For some reason I never saw this when I was making my early decision about taking on the challenge, now I seem to read it everywhere :(. It's really bumming me out! I'd love to hear from you guys....were you all runners/walkers for a long while before you started to train for your races? I have been active and in decent shape for many years....but not a regular runner. This is starting to worry me. :(

MelRhoads
02-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Amy - I really think you should be fine. You do aerobic stuff and it sounds like you have for several years. You have almost an entire year to train for it. Barring injury, i don't see why you couldn't do it! I think the WDW is the one to do b/c people do it at all speeds and you will likely be w/ a ton of people no matter what your speed. You could train w/ some walking and runnning and that way you can run what you can do and walk the rest. I'm sure they are overly cautious b/c a marathon is a long way to go and they figure you should be in at least reasonable shape b/4 starting (they are probably cautious b/c if people fail using their program, they won't buy or recommend more of their books!!) Don/t fret, you'll be find. Plus, if someone tells you otherwise, you can kickbox their booty across the room!

OK - i have to share this b/c it is sooooo cool. My husband was messing around on the us adv. racing assn. web page and found that our team (JUMP) is currently ranked 16th nationally. We won't be for long, we are just there b/c we placed in the race in nov. which was the 1st race after nationals and we got points for the ranking, but hey, i'll take it. that is soo cool to be nationally ranked. I'm going to print out the web page tomorrow to put in my racing scrapbook (i hope they don't update it b/4 then!!!!!!) :cool1: :cool1:

jodistar
02-23-2006, 05:16 AM
Morning Everyone,

I have to say I am disappointed that I didn't get to run with the group - but I did run on the TM.

TM Work:
5 min - 3.7
10 min - 5.7
5 min - 3.7
10 min- 5.7
5 min - 3.7
5 min - 5.7
5 min - 3.7
2 min - 5.7
cool down

It turned out that this is just a little over 3 miles - and according to the machine I ran/walked 12.30 min/mile.

Of course, I am going to try and join the group this coming Saturday but it depends on if I can get up that early. They leave promptly at 8:30 in the morning (pretty early for me on a Saturday).

Well, have to get ready for work - I really wish it was Friday already! What a week.

Have a great day everyone,

Jodi

icunurse_celeste
02-23-2006, 05:44 AM
Hi everyone,
I have been lurking for a while- I won't even pretend that I have kept up with the board, it is so busy!

I have a quick question- what are cliff blocks? Is that the bars?

Thanks for the information!
Celeste

Mouse Skywalker
02-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Whew, I'm feeling tired this morning. I think this cold and exercise is wiping me out, but I feel good that I'm continuing to exercise. I wouldn't have done that in previous attempts. You guys are keeping me motivated.

Yesterday, I walked 2.5 miles on the treadmill at 15 mpm pace. I've been making sure I spend a lot of time stretching and doing some shin strengthening exercises after I walk. I do a bunch of toe lifts and then use an elastic strap at the gym, wrap it around a bar, put the handle on my foot, pull back and hold it as long as I can.

I did turn in my forms and registration fee for the "Learn to Run" program. I'm very excited about it, and am determined to complete it this year. It starts on March 22 with a reception that you are supposed to bring your support person - I'm going to get a babysitter and bring my DW. When I turned in the forms the owner of the shop, who remembered me from last time, told me to strengthen my leg muscles before I start. I said I'm working on it.

Have a good day everyone.

TiffJ
02-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Amy- I started freaking out about that last year too. After I registered for the 1/2 I was seeing the same info-be running for a year at least. Well I pretty much went from couch to 1/2 in 4 months. I have never been very active & I did it. I know with as good a shape as you are in you should have no problem. Take it slow & work the program so you dont get injured. Do run/walk intervals. It is a (pretty) flat course & you have 7 hrs to finish if you need it. All that matters is that you cross the finish line. You have almost a whole year to train. GO FOR IT!! :cheer2:

Celeste-shot blocks are basically solid forms of the gu. They are in little squares kind of like very firm jello. I love them! They provide energy & taste good. I used them in the 1/2.

Jodi-awesome job! :cool1:

Dave-WTG! you are doing great keeping at this :thumbsup2 Your dedication is inspiring!

MelR-that is so cool to see your team ranked nationally! Even if it is just for a little while, it still counts. Oh-the field trip was fun. And it wasn't just 14, 4 y.o. it was actually 50 because all 4 classes came. We hade fun & luckily alot of parents showed up at Lowes to help us.

Nancy-I'm glad you made it back. Dont get too down on yourself, you've had a tough month. Just start back at it & dont worry about the past. Good luck with the DR pixiedust:

Christa-I agree with everyone else- you will be kicking booty at that tri

Can you guys believe 10 weeks from tomorrow I will be leaving for the Minnie :cool1:

AmyBeth68
02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Mel and Tiff.....THANK YOU :grouphug: for that reassurance. I started to freak a bit....but I think it had to do with two tough workout days that didn't go as well as I'd like. I was feeling tired and let what I read get to me. This morning I read Non-Runners Marathon and they say it CAN be done with pre-training up to 3 Miles which is what I'm doing right now :thumbsup2 so I think I'm on track :goodvibes . Thanks again....this WISH board is so important to me!!!

Mel....CONGRATS on your racing team!!! :banana: That is VERY cool!!!

Dave: Sounds like you're getting back into it :thumbsup2 . Here's some PD that your shins continue to feel good pixiedust:

Jodi: Sounds like you had a great TM run! Way to go!!! It'll be so nice when you get to run with the group....I'm thinking of contacting a local group here in my town. I'm just nervous b/c I'm such a newbie. Thought I'd wait until I was up 5 miles :teeth: , maybe I should get in touch with them now and see what they think.

keenercam
02-23-2006, 09:05 AM
MelR -- That national ranking is awesome! Bask in that glory, sweetie! I hope you got to print out the webpage. If, for any reason, it isn't there, send the webmaster of that site asking for a link to the archived page. They usually archive "captured" pages on stuff like that. Congratulations, sweetie! :goodvibes: :cool1:

Jodi --Your TM times are great. Do you find that the 3.7 is a little too slow for your intervals? Once I have jogged one or two times, I find that I could bump up my walk speed about .2 and not be wearing myself out. I don't run anywhere near as long or as fast as you, though, so closing that interval between the speeds isn't as hard for me to do. Keep up the great work!

Helen -- Thanks for the lesson on fartlekking. What a riot! I am going to have to find a way to use that word in a sentence, especially around DS12 -- he will be rolling on the floor and then dying for the opportunity to use the word among his classmates. Since he is a runner, it shouldn't be too hard for him to do. :o)

Dave -- that learn to run program sounds great. I am so glad your wife is so supportive. You should make an outing of the first event since you'll have a babysitter. Go out and celebrate your commitment to a healthier lifestyle. I know having Howard so into this running thing is a big help for me. Of course, he is light years ahead of me, so we don't run "together" or anything like that. But we do try to be in the same place at the same time -- on Saturday a.m.s we usually head to the cinder track at the state park where he can run and I can wog. It feels really good just to be there together. We are often at the Y fitness center together too, though not doing any of the same stuff. Have fun!

Amy -- You are going to do so fine! Don't worry about it at all. I started walking very short distances on the TM last January after heart surgery (after 10 forced sedentary years!) and didn't start training for the 1/2 until October and still finished it within the required time. Training to train is even more important than training, I think. It is where you get your mindset into the commitment and get your body conditioned to take on the challenge of really training for an event. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Just keep the enthusiasm and commitment on track and you will be more than fine! :hug:

Tiff -- You are so amazing! I can't believe how much you do! I am really psyched to see you at the Minnie weekend. Rhonda (akasleepingbeauty) and I can't wait to see everyone!

Last night I did a quick warmup on the TM before my yoga/pilates mat class. Since I didn't have much time, I did a mile at a relaxed pace at 2%. Ended up taking 15:17 to finish a mile, but I may have been too distracted by the latest issue of People (I never read "junk magazines" :) ) to pick up the pace a bit. Was glad to finish the mile and then spend a satisfying hour in the class. The yoga/pilates is definitely getting easier for me -- I think the weight lifting is strengthening my arms for the poses or postures or whatever they are called (thanks, Sunny!).

Looking forward to a LW on Saturday a.m. but I really have to get on a pre-training schedule and stick to it rather than just squeezing in trips to the gym whenever possible.

TXBelle
02-23-2006, 09:25 AM
After everyone's words of encouragement, I talked to DH. He said that he really wants to do the marathon with me. He wants to be next to me to encourage me. He promises to not try to push me to go faster than I want. He said he would carry all my stuff for me so that I would not have to carry anything (like what Ron has done for Christa & Bree before). He would carry the camera and takes lots of pictures. I am really excited about it. Thank you Carrie for helping me see that my DH's true intention was to put me on a pedastal and share such a great experience with me. :goodvibes

DH thinks he will go for the Goofy medal. He will do the 1/2 at his pace and then do the marathon with me at my pace. I am still contemplating going for the Goofy also, but I will probably wait until June or July to decide. I need to focus on my upcoming looonnnnnggg bike ride to Austin in April.

It is supposed to rain again this weekend. Aaaah! I need to get outside to ride my bike on the open road. The stationary bike is just not the same. If it rains, I will probably just ride the trail in my neighborhood on my mountain bike. It's not the rain that I am afraid of; I don't care about getting wet. I just worry about wiping out on the wet roads on my road bike and damaging my bike (oh, and hurting myself too). I just feel more stable on the mountain bike. I think I have a plan. :moped:

We leave for WDW in 9 days, and I have not even started packing. Eek! :eek: I better start (and finish) packing this weekend. I'm off to check out the 10 day forecast for Orlando.

Minnie
02-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone,

I only have a minute but I got my MRI report back and wanted to post an update since all of you have been so supportive.

The results found a disk bulge between L4-L5 which is slighly compressing on the nerve. I was supposed to go in today to have a cortizone injection but had to reschedule it as I have what is now suspected as kidney stones :scared:

Cam - Am I mistaken or didn't Howard have Kidney Stones before the marathon weekend????

I have to go in for a CT scan on Friday to determine the exact problem :eek:

Work is crazy and I've spend the last couple evenings in the ER so I have to get as much done as possible so I've got to go.

I've missed the last several days of posts but will try to catch up later. I hope everyone is doing great. :grouphug:

::MinnieMo

keenercam
02-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Cam - Am I mistaken or didn't Howard have Kidney Stones before the marathon weekend????

Oh, Minnie, first of all, I am glad they are figuring out what is causing your hip pain. I hope that a definitive diagnosis allows for quick, effective treatment. Sending pixiedust: your way! And, yes, Howard did have a kidney stone. A HUGE one (gumball size) that had to be blasted. He had severe pain because it blocked the kidney opening to the ureter, effectively shutting down kidney function on the left side. I hope yours isn't that big or bad and you can get prompt relief. Drink lots and lots of water!

Mouse Skywalker
02-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Amy - I didn't weigh in on this because I was tired this morning and also because I am so new to this too, but I certainly don't have a year of training under my belt and I am shooting for the marathon. Based on my previous reading and running experience, I think we can do it if we take the training slow and steady. I remember in the Galloway book they had a plan to take you from the couch to running a marathon on only 3 days of training/week in 12 weeks. I think we can do it, and we have plenty of time to get ourselves in shape. Right now I'm looking at my walks as getting me in shape for my 12 week learn to run program. If I can make it through that program, in June I will have gradually built up to 30 mins of running. I think they may have an AP (advanced placement) learn to run program that runs 12 weeks starting in June that will allow me to stretch my running distance. That gets me to September, and plenty of time to start a 12 week program for the marathon in January.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it. Although right now I'm just taking it one day at a time, and proud of myself that I've now had 4 straight weeks of exercising. That's a lot for me at this stage of the game.

AmyBeth68
02-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Cam and Dave: THANK you so much. I really needed a dose of reality :teeth: . Dave, your plan sounds really solid :thumbsup2 . I'm basically following Galloway's 5K training plan right now which will get me, hopefully, run/walking 4 miles by the end of April. From there I'm going to try to train for a half and run/walk that in the fall. I think that will build my base slowly and safely which is most important :). You guys are soooo great!!! :hug:

MickeySP
02-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Spent the morning catching up, so much going on with everyone.

TnTsParty, MouseDogMom, Celeste - Welcome, this has been a great place to gather info and come for help on all sorts of things you will love it. Hop eto see all of you at an event soon.

Carrie - I did do measurements and you are right things are tightening up.

Mel - Congrats to Phil, that is awesome.

Judy - I am sure with your love & paitience Mist will do great. We had the same trouble with a dog we took in, he suffered terrible abuse, it took almost a year but now he is the most loving dog ever.

Terri - Another for the DL 1/2, YEAH!!!

Cam - That is great on your guys SATs. I remember when my son was getting ready for school, he wasn't gone and it felt empty somehow.

Minnie - I hope it all comes together

Amy - I decided to do the 1/2 in Jan 05, hadn't run or worked out in 20yrs, I was 100lbs overweight. So if I can go from that to finishing with a 15:02 pace anyone can.

Finally able to get back to it yesterday. No real pain just lots of muscle fatigue but mostly in my left calf, it eventually worked itself out so I am a very happy wogger right now. I did 45 minutes of 2/1, just didn't want to push it too much. I think I will keep it there for the rest of this week and maybe try to do 3/2 next week.

My son is doing the DL 1/2 with me and just informed me he may do the Goofy too. He said he would stay with me but I would be so slow compared to a 21yo it would be laughable. Would they let him finish then come back and find me? I would love to cross the line with him, it would be unreal.

Anybody here every done the Avon Breast Walk? I am thinking about it but the fundraising seems a bit daunting. 2400.00 is alot to raise, anyone done it?

Mouse Skywalker
02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
OK, I'm waiting for an e-mail reply to do what I need to do on my lab computer. :bored: I figure that gives me a chance to post.

Just a warning - :offtopic:
So here's an update on my NIH grant. I told you all that I received a good score, but that it's unlikely to be funded. I spoke with my contact at NIH who sat in on the review committee and she gave me a lot of positive feedback. She said the review committee really liked the ideas in the grant which is why they gave it a good score. They were concerned about one technical aspect of what I was proposing which is why it probably will not be funded. She said there is a very small chance, 10% or less, that my grant will be funded. But here's the good news, I can revise the grant, address the concerns of the review committee, and resubmit it without having to start all over. This is a change for the type of grant I wrote. Originally they limited the number of resubmissions to 1 (which I was on). Now they say you can revise and resubmit the grant twice - yahoo for me! After that, they say the grant has changed too much and should be considered a new proposal. But if I can address all the reviewers comments, then there may be a good chance the grant will be funded on the NEXT go around. So here's looking at a July 1st deadline for my revised grant.

Second :offtopic: subject:
Christa have a great trip when you travel to Amman, Jordan. Too bad you will miss the Dead Sea Marathon, but maybe it's for the best anyhow. You've run marathons before, and this way you can really experience all the different culture has to offer. I had a chance about 3 years ago for my DW and I to travel to Doha, Qatar for work. It was an amazing experience highlighted by swimming in the Persian Gulf. It totally changed my attitude towards the Middle East. Up until then when I heard of the Persian Gulf it raised certain images (oil tankers, aircraft carriers, etc.) in my mind, but it never occured to me that it is also an ocean with a beach that some people vacation and recreate on. It was an amazing experience. The water was so warm and salty that you could float with no effort at all. In fact, trying to go underwater and touch bottom was the big effort. You'll have an amazing experience. Be sure to post about it so we can live vicariously through you.

Honeibee
02-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Good morning everyone! :wave:

This morning I did 45 min @ 3.7 @ 1% with ten of those at 2% then ten at 4.0 @ 1%. Holy cow! Walking at 4 was really energizing! :hyper:

And may I just say, I finished Roman Holiday while working out and now I have a huge crush on Gregory Peck. :cloud9:

Cam - Awwwww, thank you so much! I loved our wedding and we had a great time. I certainly hope we hook up for something, dinner, hot tub, breakfast, when we are there in '07. My goodness, you are the one that got me started on this! :thumbsup2

Jodi - Sorry you missed your group last night. Work has an annoying way of interfering with training, doesn't it??? :headache:

Nancy - I'm glad your home. Don't worry too much, you'll get back into the swing of things. :goodvibes

Celeste - Ohh I'm glad to see you again! I hope all is well. :)

Dave - That is great that you've joined LTR. I wish we had something like that around here. I can't find any walkers groups. I did however find two sports stores in the next town over so I'm going to stop in there this weekend and see if they know of something. :scratchin

Minnie - Oh at least you have an answer! :banana: Now, how to deal with it.... OK I'm so glad you've got an answer. Good. Now, let's fix it. :goodvibes

MickeySP - Thanks for your words of encouragement. We are taking things one day at a time. :goodvibes

Judy

Mouse Skywalker
02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Judy - if you now have a huge crush on Gregory Peck have you seen "To Kill a Mockingbird"? My DW absolutely loves Gregory Peck in that film.

Honeibee
02-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Judy - if you now have a huge crush on Gregory Peck have you seen "To Kill a Mockingbird"? My DW absolutely loves Gregory Peck in that film.

No, not yet. This is actually the first movie I've ever seen him in. But I can tell you it won't be the last! I actually went over my 45 min on the TM this morning watching the end of that movie. :blush:

:moped: Honeibee going to get TKAM....

Judy

Mouse Skywalker
02-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Judy - "To Kill a Mockingbird" is just a really good film, and should be good for extra treadmill walking. Gregory Peck won the Best Actor Oscar in 1962 for the film. He's also really good in "The Boys from Brazil".

gatorphipps
02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: Here's triple the pixie dust for you!!!! Good luck with your ortho appt.

I'm starting to freak out now.....I read my books tonight and checked out a BUNCH of websites. Everything I'm reading says I should be running at least a full year at least 3 times per week before starting a marathon training. Have I jumped the gun? Should I not run the WDW marathon in 07??? For some reason I never saw this when I was making my early decision about taking on the challenge, now I seem to read it everywhere :(. It's really bumming me out! I'd love to hear from you guys....were you all runners/walkers for a long while before you started to train for your races? I have been active and in decent shape for many years....but not a regular runner. This is starting to worry me. :(
Amy - DH ran his 1st marathon in 2005. He started training in August and ran WDW in Jan. I think you will be OK.

gatorphipps
02-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement about DD. She is somewhat better now and I got to swim a little over a mile today.
Christa have a great trip when you travel to Amman, Jordan. Too bad you will miss the Dead Sea Marathon, but maybe it's for the best anyhow. You've run marathons before, and this way you can really experience all the different culture has to offer. I had a chance about 3 years ago for my DW and I to travel to Doha, Qatar for work. It was an amazing experience highlighted by swimming in the Persian Gulf. It totally changed my attitude towards the Middle East. Up until then when I heard of the Persian Gulf it raised certain images (oil tankers, aircraft carriers, etc.) in my mind, but it never occured to me that it is also an ocean with a beach that some people vacation and recreate on. It was an amazing experience. The water was so warm and salty that you could float with no effort at all. In fact, trying to go underwater and touch bottom was the big effort. You'll have an amazing experience. Be sure to post about it so we can live vicariously through you.
Dave - Thanks. I love the Middle East and the people there. I have been once and DH travels there every year. I get to go with him this year. We will be swimming (or floating) in the Dead Sea and doing some real neat things.

Minnie - pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: To you! You have had such a hard time! So sorry!

Melissa - YOU ARE DA WOMAN! :cool1: 16th place! WOW! :thumbsup2

Congrats to all the people who have had the courage to start this journey. And a big :thumbsup2 to everyone who has been able to keep putting in those steps. Don't freak out! Enjoy the journey to your 1st, 2nd or whatever # of 1/2, full, Goofy, or whatever you are training for!

littlegreydonkey
02-23-2006, 02:05 PM
MickeySP - he can probably run in with you, as they don't take your number off you. I don't think he'll be able to reverse completely on the course though, so he'll have to go into Epcot (with a pass) and find you either when you enter epcot by the English pub (if he wants to sit and wait) or he could walk the course the opposite way round World Showcase to catch up.

I saw Terri from the pub and walked round the course for a mile or so to keep her company once I'd finished - I didn't have my number on, just my medal - and no-one stopped me. I did turn off just as Terri went backstage though - that's when I think still having the number will help. Just make sure he's had his chip removed or he might get two sets of results (I can't quite remember that bit but I think they do it before you get your medal anyway). Helen

princessmomma
02-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Judy - "To Kill a Mockingbird" is just a really good film, and should be good for extra treadmill walking. Gregory Peck won the Best Actor Oscar in 1962 for the film.

I LOVE "To Kill a Mockingbird", but read the book first. It is sooo good, one of my favorites. I taught that book in high school for a number of years and my students just loved it!

Training wise, I did some speed work yesterday. It was pretty wiped after that. I will try and run 8 miles tomorrow.

I am also planning to run a 5K on March 11th. This will be my first race since the marathon. We will see how it goes.

Colleen

AmyBeth68
02-23-2006, 02:19 PM
:cool1: I ran for 30 minutes today. It felt really good.....I chose a difficult course with steep, long hills so I know I got a serious work-out! I have been playing around with different running plans. Week one I just ran the whole time, last week I did 10 minute run 1 minute walk, today I did 5 minute run 1 minute walk. I really felt great today and I'm pretty sure my pace wasn't too bad. As far as I can tell I did over 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. I'll check the distance later, but that still felt good considering the hills and I was able to speed up the last quarter mile!

And it was fun too :thumbsup2 , it wasn't at all like Tuesdays run. So I'm back in the game and have a better outlook! :sunny:

MouseDogMom
02-23-2006, 04:27 PM
You guys really are great encouragement! I rolled out of bed this morning and ran/walked almost 2 miles in a little over 25 minutes. No real method to the pace - I'm still running as far as my lungs will take me and then walking until I can breathe again. Had to skip yesterday - we moved my mom from the hospital back to her apt and are also looking for a new living situation for her, so it's kinda hectic in my life, and I'm driving from Raleigh to Winston-Salem (2 hrs) every couple of days to deal with her stuff.

Honeibee: I too developed the worst crush on Gregory Peck while watching "Roman Holiday!" He died shortly after I saw the movie for the first time and I felt very sad that I had just discovered him.

wtpclc
02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
KEVIN!!!! I was just about to start stalking you with pm's!!!! If you're going Goofy, you'd better get with the program! ;) Oh, and yes, you missed some annoucements being gone so long. DOn't let it happen again! ;) (Please don't go into hiding now, I promise not to yell at you any more. :D ) Yes, I'm doing teh full too. I figure I'm so far above where I was last year that I can run three days a week adn xt adn not push too hard until August. Plus, I think that this is the only way that I will keep running.

MouseDog Mom - COngrats!! SOunds liek you are well on your way!

MIckey - I'm glad you can see a difference! That's awesome.

:grouphug: to all I've missed. The last ocuple days have been horrible!

On the bright side, I did 4.25 miles in 50 minutes about 25% through snow on Tuesday. Guess what?? My foot did not hurt at all!!! :cool1:

plutosmyfav
02-23-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm so far behind I'm not going to try to hit everyone...

Keven! So glad to see you :goodvibes I posted a while back, but you may have missed it-- I was wrong on the Alaskan marathon. My friend said the Fairbanks one is trecherous but Anchorage is pleasant. So go for it!

Christa-- You are soooo way too hard on yourself girlfriend! You need the rest and you're gonna ROCK that tri. I can't wait to here you report :thumbsup2 :cheer2:

MelR-- Congrats on the national registry. That's awsome! I bet you stay there longer than you think.

Dave-- great news on the grant. Here's to the second try :wizard:

Guess what I did? I braved my Speedo and took the plunge! I swam 1500 meters last night. The assessment: I stink! I was slow as molasses and needed to break after every 2 laps. The good news: I'm going to get ALOT out of my lessons that start next week! I also ran 5.3 miles and did the recombent bike for 50 minutes and mini-trampoline during Olympics bringing my day's minutes to 180!

DS is calling me...

icunurse_celeste
02-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Celeste-shot blocks are basically solid forms of the gu. They are in little squares kind of like very firm jello. I love them! They provide energy & taste good. I used them in the 1/2.

Thank you for the information. So far I do not like most of the energy gels, except the gu brand. So, I am looking forward to trying something different. I'll have to see if I can find them.

Thanks!

gatorphipps
02-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Oh...they are supposed to be like firm jello. Mine have always been frozen when I started to eat them. :lmao: It was like chewing a mix of cardboard and taffy! :rotfl2:

Tiger Lily 03
02-23-2006, 08:12 PM
I am going to read, but figure I should at least stop by and say hello! :wave:

I've been busy just now with life stuff. It was lovely here these last couple of days, but I've passed by those two lovely days that I should have been outside walking. Instead I have done real life crud. I guess that means that I am waiting for a crummy day to walk.
:rotfl2:
Schedule calls for 8 miles this weekend.

Tiger Lily 03
02-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Lily- I did my alphabet training yesterday!Oh what a good girl you are! Keep up with it. Dave, how about you? Are you making nice A-Zs? Everyone? We can do it.

Dave, thanks for the compliment on my attitude. I think I need to listen to myself. I can give it, but don’t do much takin’. Good luck on the rework of the ap process.

Sunny, that is so good to hear you listening to your body needing that rest. You are really getting “tuned in” to what your body is telling you. Congrats on your swimming for 2 laps there. You were probably really going at it too I’m sure. Me, I am lucky to get it done and Slow is my way.

Dona, you keep on training. By the time the event comes for you it will be such a joy. Keep moving and stick around…we really need you here.

Fartlekker
Someone is a fartkekker!

Cam, what exciting news at your house. Two successful children and practicing for empty nesting. Wheee!

Amy, you WILL be fine. I was asking these questions as others in my Saturday group were first time marathoners the previous year. There were several who did just fine. Take it steady. Keep on with what you’ve got planned. Then on THE day, take it easy and enjoy the view!

I did turn in my forms and registration fee for the "Learn to Run" program. I'm very excited about it, and am determined to complete it this year. It starts on March 22 with a reception that you are supposed to bring your support person - I'm going to get a babysitter and bring my DW. We’ll all be with ya too!

Shot blocks, hmmm never tried them.

Nancy, welcome back.

MelR, congrats on national ranking! That is great!

Heather, that is great news about your full decision with DH at your side. It sounds wonderful. I’m thinking if you go quite slow (like I did) for the half you will have the steam you need for the full if you plan that slow too. Good luck with your decision on it. It can be done…slow and steady on the day. Steady training now, this is the time to see what you can do, but don’t hurt yourself finding out.

Minnie, glad that you have been diagnosed. It sounds like something that can be repaired. My DB had some difficulty with back and ended up having a surgical repair. Has gone on to do marathon and continues to run. Hope your repair is easy and you are back at things quick and easy. Yikes! A kidney stone too! DH gets them and I can’t believe how awful they seem. Like Cam said, lots of water and prayers to you for everything to go well.

Mousedog, good job with what you are able to do. So sorry that your Mom is not well.

Carrie, great that your foot is not hurting. Maybe the snow kept it “iced” as you were going along and it made all the difference! Tee hee.

It was like chewing a mix of cardboard and taffy! Oh my! :earseek:

Sorry if I've missed you by my replies. I didn't mean to.

Off I go now to relax, de-stress and visit with DH before falling to dreamland.

jodistar
02-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Jodi - Sorry you missed your group last night. Work has an annoying way of interfering with training, doesn't it??? :headache:

Work has been just plain annoying this week - Thank god, we are almost to the end......to a very hectic week. I just about made it to my Weight Watchers meeting tonight because I stayed an half-hour late......but good news, I'm down another .6, bringing my total lose to 14 pounds! :banana:

jodistar
02-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Yesterday, I walked 2.5 miles on the treadmill at 15 mpm pace. I've been making sure I spend a lot of time stretching and doing some shin strengthening exercises after I walk. I do a bunch of toe lifts and then use an elastic strap at the gym, wrap it around a bar, put the handle on my foot, pull back and hold it as long as I can.

I did turn in my forms and registration fee for the "Learn to Run" program. I'm very excited about it, and am determined to complete it this year. It starts on March 22 with a reception that you are supposed to bring your support person - I'm going to get a babysitter and bring my DW. When I turned in the forms the owner of the shop, who remembered me from last time, told me to strengthen my leg muscles before I start. I said I'm working on it.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Job Dave on the TM work! Congratulation on joining the "Learn to Run" program!

jodistar
02-23-2006, 10:27 PM
[
Jodi: Sounds like you had a great TM run! Way to go!!! It'll be so nice when you get to run with the group....I'm thinking of contacting a local group here in my town. I'm just nervous b/c I'm such a newbie. Thought I'd wait until I was up 5 miles :teeth: , maybe I should get in touch with them now and see what they think.

Oh - don't let being a newbie stop you. I am also, but the group that I joined has different level runners - just pick the group that fits your fitness level. I'm a little nervous about meeting a bunch of people.....I'm good when I meet people 1 on 1 but a group, I forget how to talk. I'm hoping I will be okay with the group - It's always tough meeting new people.

I would check with the group - my group the longest it runs is 3 miles at each meet.

jodistar
02-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Jodi --Your TM times are great. Do you find that the 3.7 is a little too slow for your intervals? Once I have jogged one or two times, I find that I could bump up my walk speed about .2 and not be wearing myself out. I don't run anywhere near as long or as fast as you, though, so closing that interval between the speeds isn't as hard for me to do. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Cam! Sometimes I do find that the 3.7 is a little slow, I can probably kick it up to 3.9. Within the next couple of weeks I'd like to get that up a little bit more......maybe 4.0 - 6.0.....both would be a challenge, so I don't want to do it right away but I do want to do it and see how it feels.....right now I'm just trying to find a good level for me.

The toughest part last night was the first time up to 5.7, I felt like I could keep on going, breathing was good and everything felt good but instead I went back down, and then it almost felt like my legs didn't want to go back up to 5.7 the second time....Weird.

gatorphipps
02-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Oh - don't let being a newbie stop you. I am also, but the group that I joined has different level runners - just pick the group that fits your fitness level. I'm a little nervous about meeting a bunch of people.....I'm good when I meet people 1 on 1 but a group, I forget how to talk. I'm hoping I will be okay with the group - It's always tough meeting new people.

I would check with the group - my group the longest it runs is 3 miles at each meet.
When you are running with a bunch of new people, you don't have to talk b/c you could be out of breath. :rotfl2:
Off to do my 10 miler with Bree...10 is all I have time for. she will want to go like 15 or something, but I have life stuff I have to do today. :crazy2: I may take my camra and post some pics of the 10 mile route we have done the last 4 years for you guys.

TXBelle
02-24-2006, 08:13 AM
I did 7.6 miles on the bike at the gym yesterday during my lunch hour. I also did WL. I really can tell a difference in my muscle strength already. Thanks to Cam and Sunny for the inspiration to try WL. I am hooked. By the way, is it wrong to follow my DH all over the house, flexing my biceps and asking him to feel my arm muscles? :lmao:

It's finally Friday! :banana:

Oh, I almost forgot, congratulations Melissa on your #16 ranking! What an incredible inspiration to all of us! Good luck in your training run this weekend. (Don't let the cows catch you! ;) )

wtpclc
02-24-2006, 08:32 AM
OK, I feel like I can post again, because I feel like a runner again! (Not that I've let theat stop me, but I felt like a poser.)

ANother great run last night!!! Who said that? :scared: Last night was a week night! I don't like week night runs!!!! :rotfl2: I said I wasn't going to piush like I did Tuesday and I didn't feel like I did. I went almost a quarter mile further in 50 minutes, though! :cool1: Not earth shattering, but it felt GOOD!!!!! :thumbsup2

Glad to see you checking in Lily! You are right.

It's much easier to encourage others than to follow your own advice. This group kind of forces me to do that, though. CAn you say Accountability? :hyper:

MickeySP
02-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Helen - thanks, we will have to plan it that way. I guess DL will be the trial run for showing him how much faster he is than me.

I finally have movement on the scale down 4 of the 6 I had gained, hoping the trend continues.

Yesterday was great, I did 55 minutes of 2/1 intervals with no pain at all. I'm not gonna push it too far though staying at 4.0 to 5.0 right now, but I am so pleases to be able to do even that. I feel like I may be able to do Goofy after all.

I am heading to MD for the weekend, visiting friends, hopefully they won't mind when I head out for a morning glide. Just don't want to break it up too many days in a row.

Honeibee
02-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Good morning and T.G.I.F.! :banana: Now, if it could just be about 40 degrees warmer this weekend.... :cold:

I did 45 min on the TM this morning @ 3.7 @1% with 10 @ 2% and 10 @ 4 + 1%. I have to say, I like the pace at 4. It feels comfortable. But I know that's still not fast enough. :hyper:

I went to the bookstore last night :car: and got MFM, Galloway, and Fitness Walking for Dummies.

For those of you following my show skunk saga...he made a visit last night and it was not a pretty one. PHEW! Our garage, laundry room and master bedroom all SMELL sooo gross! I actually thought he was IN the garage but apparently he wasn't. OMG! Phew! :crazy2:

MouseDogMom - OMG he's just too too dreamy, isn't he??? :cloud9:

Sunny - You are so athletic and fit :worship: I don't know how you can be swimming like molasses. But if you really are, I wouldn't worry. You'll be zipping around the pool in no time. :cheer2:

Jodi - WOW! Excellent on the 14 pounds! :thumbsup2

Christa - Yeah, pictures! Let's see 'em! :goodvibes

Carrie - Way to go on that "week night" run! :banana:

I hope to get to the sports store I saw in the next town and find some local events I can shoot for.

I have a nosey you-don't-have-to-answer-it-if-you-don't-want question today.

How old is everyone? I am 44. I was just wondering how old everyone else is here. :confused3

Judy

solotraveler
02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Good morning all!

Thank you for the nice welcome back. I need to get back in the loop if I want my 3 medals in '07!

Hello to all the new folks! It sounds like everyone's training is going swimmingly! :cool2:

Cam-- Congrats on your kids' acheviements! Sounds like they are really going places!

Helen-- I like your new training plan. I'm really an interval person myself, so I totally understand where you are coming from.

Mel-- Congrats on the national ranking!! Hey, it may only be short-lived, but from now on you can say "At one point we were ranked 16th nationally! :thumbsup2

Christa-- I had the pleasure of travelling to Amman last summer and had a really nice time. I wasn't there nearly long enough to see everything I wanted to, sadly. I'm sure the trip will be great, marathon or no marathon.

Dave-- That Learn to Run program sounds like a lot of fun, and it sounds like a really good way to get started. It's my experience that runners are VERY supportive of newbies. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Plutos-- Swim classes... how cool! I'm a learn-to-swim instructor from my college days and I used to love teaching adults. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mickey-- Have a great trip to MD this weekend. say, could you stop by and say hello to my parents for me?? They always complain they never see me. ;)

Judy-- That's not too terrible nosy. I just turned (gulp) 27.

Carrie-- No, no... you go ahead and keep yelling!! I'm not going anywhere, though. It's the only way I'll get started running again. I was supposed to start running again last Saturday, but when the HIGH temperature is 6 degrees.... I don't think so. I think your training plan sounds good to me. I am doing 4 days a week right now-- 2 medium days, a speedwork day and a weekend long run. Hoping to keep that up until I start my Goofy program sometime in late April. (Which reminds me... still need to write something up...)

I have a 5 mile run tomorrow for which the weather looks fine. So hopefully I will be able to run through my wine symposium induced stupor and get it done. And I promise my much-overdue marathon race report will be posted first thing Monday morning.

Must get back to work-
Happy training all!!

Mouse Skywalker
02-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Judy - I turned 37 last Dec. I'm old enough that I always have to think about it now.

chimera
02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
I made peace with the TM this morning. I decided that I'm going to have to use it occasionally with bad weather and if I approach it as a miserable event, that's what it will be. I did R3/W2 x 8 which got me 2.84 miles (a 14:47 pace). The bummer is that I did the same R3/W2 x 8 outside on Mon and made 3.06 miles (13:43 pace). Five miles, OUTSIDE :sunny: , tomorrow :) .

Judy...I'm 37, too.

Dave...I'd love to hear more about your research!

MelR...wow...congrats on sweet 16!

Kevin...welcome back!

Helen... :lmao: I can't say fartlek without cracking up, but fartlekker? :lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2: Thanks for remembering my favorite running word :goodvibes

Carrie...congrats on those weeknighters! Good to see your foot's feeling better.

Gotta run, meeting DH for lunch. Kinda wish I'd waited to sign up for the half. We're restructuring our office schedule to work 2 half-Fridays a month. That means no more 10 hour days, so I might, could possibly train for a full :confused3

MelRhoads
02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
As soon as the babysitter gets here, off to Ft. worth for the training run IN THE RAIN!!!!! It looks like a 70% chance. YUCK. I think the place we are staying has internet, so if so, i'll post a race (umhmm, training run) report.

wtpclc
02-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Mel - Ohl!!! That's great news and a bummer too!!! Goofy? ;)

Kevin - Dh told me no running last Saturday either. It was 3 when we would have gone. Then again, Sunny of teh recent bank heists does it. ;) So good to have my local friend back. FUnny that we've only met in WDW! :confused3

Judy - I felt young until Kevin answerd. :scratchin I'm 34 I feel like we're a bad influence on you, alwasy talking baout time. You really shouldn't worry abuout that now. Just put the steps in. WHere you are now, I'm sure you'll be fine. The pace will get better if you're putting the steps in

MelR - Good luck! I hope it doesn't rain for you!!!!

Mickey and jodi - Huge congrats on your losses!

Heather - lol. Flexing your bicepts at dh. That's awesome! :teeth: WTG!!!

Dave - FOrgot to say good luck on the 2nd grant go-around. Hope your shins are gettign better too!

You know, I may have figured out one of teh reasons I didn't care for weeknight runs. They are based on time. So, if I go faster, it doesn't matter. I don't get to finish earlier. I am sooooo lazy!

Tiger Lily 03
02-24-2006, 02:09 PM
By the way, is it wrong to follow my DH all over the house, flexing my biceps and asking him to feel my arm muscles? :lmao: OMG! I meant to say I about burst out laughing as I read this. I love it!

MelR, have a fab “training run.”

Mel, Goofy Girl, Goofy! You can do it! :goofy:

Carrie, “poser” I think not!

Ummm, oh, hey yeah, me too! I felt young until YOU ALL started telling. :teeth: :lmao:

littlegreydonkey
02-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Dave - when in December? we could be long lost twinnies? I'm 37 too - but whenever anyone asks my mind immediately says 27 and I have to pause for a second to stop myself blurting it out.

All this temperature talk brings me to a question - how cold is 10 degrees!!! Is it full on coat weather or is it just warmish jacket, cuddly scarf and gloves - guess who's trying to do her packing and can't remember if 10 degrees is cold or not (yes you can all slap me but I haven't worn an actual coat since I got here, a fleece or thick cardi is normally enough).

keenercam
02-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Helen -- First of all, I cannot believe you are 37. I don't believe it for a second. I literally thought you were in your late 20s when I met you IRL!
Secondly, 10 degrees F is definitely full on coat, hat, mitten and scarf weather!

BTW, I am 42. UGH! How did THAT happen?

Dave -- Meant to say good luck on 2nd go round on the grant.

Heather -- I do the "feel my muscle" thing with Howard too! :lmao:

Oh, and I want to be as gorgeous and fit at 45 as Lily is now! :hug:

UGH! Work calls -again!

gatorphipps
02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Melissa - I lived in Ft Worth for 2 years while Dh was in grad school and I was @ TCU! Yes I am a Horn Toad :confused3 Good luck on the "Training run".

Judy I am :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: at your skunk stories. We saw 4 HUGE deer in our back yard last night. I will have to tell you guys the story sometime!....Oh, Judy, I am 25 (for the 8th year :rotfl2: ).

Anyway..Ran this morning. Was a BEAUTIFUL day in Charlotte. I took tons of pics and in the process of loading them to put on my blog I am TRYING to create. Here is one. I pretend it is my house, but it is not. I look so funny b/c I have my H2O belt, gloves, and another shirt under my Mickey Marathon shirt. I proudly wear it! I wish I had a Goofy shirt.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/Feb%2010%20miler/DSC00440.jpg
We went 10 miles. This around mile 8. It is a beautiful run..was in the 50s.
Have to go and get my biking in for the day. Will try to post a pic of that. You guys are the only ones who care about my obsession (sp?) so you HAVE TO look at all my pics and enjoy them! :eek:

wtpclc
02-24-2006, 02:49 PM
how cold is 10 degrees!!! Is it full on coat weather or is it just warmish jacket, cuddly scarf and gloves - guess who's trying to do her packing and can't remember if 10 degrees is cold or not (yes you can all slap me but I haven't worn an actual coat since I got here, a fleece or thick cardi is normally enough).
Helen, 10 Farenheit is -12 Celcius. I don't know about you, but that's close to hurts to breathe cold for me. Bundle up!!!!

LIly - I second what Cam says!

Cam - I miss you. Can you just tell work to go away? ;)

Honeibee
02-24-2006, 02:58 PM
:rolleyes: I knew it, I just knew it. I'm older then all of you. :eek: :sad:

Krista - What a lovely house you have! :teeth: Hey, I LOVE looking at pics so keep em' coming! BTW, this may be a dumb question but I am seriously geographically challenged, but are you near the Outer Banks? :confused3 I'm trying to talk DH into going there for a vacation maybe next year. And oh yeah, we have regular "customers". This morning we had eight deers under our bird feeder. Two of them were young button-bucks. I just want to run out there and hug them! They are so adorable. Hey, we figure they gotta eat too so let them have what falls out of the bird feeder (Which is now on the deck so they can't eat directly out of it.) I have some "wildlife" pics I will post for you. :teeth: And yeah, I figured you were around 25. I'm just the old woman here. I knew it. :sad: BTW you have a very very pretty smile! :goodvibes

Cam? Cam? Was that Cam? :eek: OOPS! Too late! :car:

Gosh I miss her..... :guilty:

Judy

chimera
02-24-2006, 03:02 PM
By the way, is it wrong to follow my DH all over the house, flexing my biceps and asking him to feel my arm muscles? :lmao:

:rotfl:
About once a week, I make DH feel my newly formed "Quads of Steel" :lmao:

Btw, I think Sunny's new WISH name should be "Outlaw" :thumbsup2

CHrista...great house! Can we all come move in with you? ;)

I'd just love to have half of Lily's energy at any age. She looked way better at mile 24 than I did at mile 13 :)

Helen...10 degrees? That's way, way too cold! I don't think it's ever been that cold here :cold:

Honeibee
02-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Deleted my pictures

AmyBeth68
02-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Judy....I hate to tell you be we had serious skunk issues last winter early spring and it turned out that they made a nest and had babies under our deck!! :scared: SMELLY SMELLY SMELLY! Just a heads up! BTW...cute turkeys :teeth: . I bet you get bear too! We get them all the time in our backyard :scared: .

And hey Helen and Dave...I'm 37 too and my b'day is also in December. TRIPLETS~ :wave: What date are you guys? I'm 12/18

Krista....thanks for the pic! I'm so jealous....it's going to be frigid on Sunday for my run. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm heading down to get on the ski machine...I skipped class today. I'm such a slacker. I better get my XT in since tomorrow is my "official" rest day :woohoo: . But before I do that I have to do some damage control....my youngest 6 y/o "Jillian, The Butcher" decided to cut and style her new American Girl Doll's hair. :eek: She's either going to be a stylist when she grows up or she's trying to punish me LOL! Either way, it is stressing me OUT!!!! I was cleaning today and found doll hair hidden all over the playroom!!!! :sad:

Mouse Skywalker
02-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Wow, more and more strange connections. I am constantly amazed at the number of connections I seem to have with the people in this group.

Christa - your a Horned Frog??? My SIL was a art history professor at TCU before she moved to Cleveland to accept a job at Case Western. In fact, we dropped DD5 princess: and DD8 princess: off in Fort Worth to stay with their cool aunt when my DW and I went to Doha, Qatar. My TCU Horned Frog sweatshirt is one of my favorites.

Helen and Amy - we could be twinnies (or was that Twinkies?). My b-day is 12/24. ::yes:: Yup, that's right... Christmas Eve, and boy weren't the princesses (DD5 princess: and DD8 princess:) upset when Daddy could open presents the day before Christmas and they couldn't.

Cam, Carrie, Mel, and everyone - thanks for the best wishes on the grant resubmission.

MelR - Hey, knock 'em dead on your 26.2 mile "training run".

OK- I walked 1 mile on the treadmill today in 13:38 min (after a 1 lap warmup). I was really moving today to warm up before my hour yoga class. Did I tell you how much I love the part where we lie on the floor and monitor our breathing? Yeah, why don't we have a marathon for that? 5 hours of lying on the floor breathing deeply - oh wait, I guess that's called sleeping.

My shin's been feeling pretty good - thanks for asking everyone. I've been really working on strengthening the muscles with toe lifts and other exercises. Lily I'm sorry, I haven't figured out the tracing the alphabet thing with my toes. I must not have the right rhythm or something. I'm going to try another long walk outside tomorrow. I'll even map out the extra 0.1 mile so I can do an even 4 instead of 3.9 miles.

AmyBeth68
02-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Just popping in quick to say that even though I slacked today on my k-boxing class I DID get my butt in gear and did the ski machine for 30 minutes total. I averagd an 8.9 min/mile :cool1: , which definitely shows me that I have increased my fitness level significantly! :thumbsup2 After that I did some abs, free weights, push-ups and serious stretching. Tomorrow is REST day!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

Dave: Ahhh...not twins! But fellow Sagitarians (spelling???).

Okay....sadly I have to go to Chuckie Cheese tonight for a b'day party :scared: . Germ Central!!!! ACK!

gatorphipps
02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Judy - I was jk about being 25...I tell everyone I am, but...oh I don't think I can do it...help...I need to face the facts...I'm 34 :eek: OK I did it! Love your pics. You are so cute. You look like you are in your 20s for real! :goodvibes

Dave so glad youe shins are doing better...I used to get those when I danced (at TCU). :dancer:

I am so glad you guys LOVED "my house". I will now show you Bree's. We must live across the street from each other. :lmao:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/Feb%2010%20miler/DSC00439.jpg
Here is a hidden Mickey we found on the road, near the end of the run. I think it is made out of oil or something.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/Feb%2010%20miler/DSC00450.jpg
I just finished riding my bike. Only 45 min, but I want to get a shower b/4 Kim Possible "So Not The Drama" comes on...did I mention that I pretend that I am watching KP b/c of my DDs, but I really like it to...How lame is that? :scratchin

Mouse Skywalker
02-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Here is a hidden Mickey we found on the road, near the end of the run. I think it is made out of oil or something.
Christa - Come on! Get Real! Surely, you should know that hidden Mickey you saw was formed from a TARHEEL!

Dave: Ahhh...not twins! But fellow Sagitarians (spelling???).
Amy - Unfortunately, not even that - I'm at the beginning of the Capricorns. How funny, I was just looking up zodiac signs for my princesses DD8 princess: (also Capricorn) and DD5 princess: (Aquarius) this morning. It had to do with a wizarding/witching game they were playing.

TiffJ
02-24-2006, 05:55 PM
I only have a minute-trying to read & get caught up on everyone. I've been running around all day getting ready for DS b-day Sunday (my baby is turning 5 :( ) and the Cub Scout banquet tonight.

But- I had to get online to tell you about my LR. I did 4 miles. 1/2 miles warmup & .25 cool down. The best part is the 3.25 I did..drum roll please.......13.06 pace :cool1: :cool1: I was soooooo excited I couldnt stand it.

Sorry, no time to catch up with everyone.

Judy- do you mean mentally or actually. Mentally I feel 20, however I'm actually 36 (and I would have thought early 30's for you by your pics :sunny: )

Have a great weekend everyone. I'll catch up tomorrow.

gatorphipps
02-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Christa - Come on! Get Real! Surely, you should know that hidden Mickey you saw was formed from a TARHEEL!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
I did not think of that! Don't tell Bree, she is a State fan..by marriage.

jodistar
02-24-2006, 07:18 PM
When you are running with a bunch of new people, you don't have to talk b/c you could be out of breath. :rotfl2:

Never thought about it that way :teeth:

jodistar
02-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Judy - I turned 37 last Dec. I'm old enough that I always have to think about it now.

Dave: When in December is your birthday? I'm on the 23rd. Oops, Nevermind.....just caught up on all of the posts. Wow, Christmas Eve - So do people ask you if you get double the presents too?

Judy: I'm 35 - although, don't really feel like it! :thumbsup2

Christa: I love your sense of humor

gatorphipps
02-25-2006, 08:40 AM
It looks like I am the 1st one to post today! I gues everyone is out there getting their steps in! Good for you! :thumbsup2 This is what I am doing - :coffee:
Where is Sunny :sunny: ? I have missed you the last few days!
Here are a few pics of the BFH (Big Freak'n Hill) we go up every week. It is LONG AND STEEP! The pics DO NOT do it justice! :rotfl: :eek:
THE BEGINNING OF THE BFH WE CALL CUMBERLAND (Because that is the name of the street :lmao: )
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/Feb%2010%20miler/baea3a1d.jpg
Still going up it! AHHHHHHH :scared:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/Feb%2010%20miler/DSC00411.jpg
I told you it was long.... :scared:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/Feb%2010%20miler/DSC00413.jpg
Bree is falling up the hill with style!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/Feb%2010%20miler/DSC00412.jpg
It almost KILLED us today...because we would sprint ahead and take the pics! Bree is DYING! :crazy2:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/Feb%2010%20miler/4a531f18.jpg
And that concludes the 1st BFH we go up during our LRs! YES< THERE'S MORE! :scared: :eek: :crazy2:

AmyBeth68
02-25-2006, 09:44 AM
I like that :D. :rotfl: How long is that thing??? From your one picture I got a good idea of how steep and long. Thanks for sharing....now I will laugh when I hit my BFHs. Do you get to run down the other side? I always call that my reward for getting up there! I've got two, one is really long (for me) and the other is just really really steep! But the steep one is MUCH easier than the long one. Then I've got a bunch of LFHs (Little Freakin' Hills) that are just annoying!

I would love to run a nice flat course once a week...but unfortunately when you live in a part of the state known as "The Northern Hills" and the High School team is called "The Highlanders"....you're probably gonna' have hills :tongue: . What doesn't kill us makes us stronger right?! :thumbsup2

Today is rest day for me...tomorrow is "Long Run" which isn't long at all :rolleyes: (only 2.5 miles at this point).

donac
02-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Amy where in Jersey do you live? I am at exit 105 on the parkway right next to Long Branch. We only have little hills down here but by Sandy Hook there are a lot of hills in Atlantic Highlands.

I did a 2.1 mile walk today on 40 minutes. I even jogged a few times to see if I could do it without hurting my shin. It felt pretty good.

Off to work on costumes for my son's school play. He is only crew but I like to help out. They are doing Evita this year. Tomorrow night I get to see it while we make sure that the costumes are finished. I will get an extra mile in today walking back and forth between the gym where we are doing final checks on the costume and the lobby where the sweatshop moms will be working.

I have to go. Have a nice weekend everyone.

AmyBeth68
02-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Dona, I am up in North Western NJ....West ****ord/Oak Ridge area :). This summer I'll be at LBI for a few weeks and plan to do a LOT of running there. It's nice AND flat!!! :thumbsup2

Evita is an amazing musical! That should be great. My two DDs are in The Music Man at the high school...they are young but they needed kids so they auditioned. Last year they were in The King and I. VERY exciting...and how wonderful of you to work on costumes :thumbsup2 . Next Saturday I signed my DH up for set construction...he just doesn't know it yet LOL!

keenercam
02-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi, everyone! Christa I love your pix. You and Bree are so way beyond cute to take those pix while running so we can share the experience with you! I am so glad you have each other to run with -- it must be great to train with someone who is close to your pace. It was amazing to do the 1/2 with Rhonda, but on an everyday basis, I don't have someone to train with -- Howard is way too fast and is always working to improve his time.

I thought about all our WISHers training for events that are coming up and I know a lot of people were getting in 8 miles today.

Hey, Amy and Dona -- Are either of you doing the Spring Lake 5 Memorial Day weekend? It is one of those races that fills up almost immediately. If you are interested, you HAVE to register like now on line. I think it is springlake5.org for the website. We could do a mini WISH meet! :cool1:

Glad to report I did 6 today, though not well. Average pace was right around 15. It was only 26 degrees out when we started (Howard had to do 9 for his marathon training. His half marathon is in 4 weeks and his full is in mid June -- I am thinking Disneyland 1/2 is going to be a pleasure for him after that!). Anyway, I had a lot of issues with gravel/cinder in my shoes and stopped 2x to empty them and limped a lot of the rest of the time. Surprisingly there were also all sorts of road hazards -- goose droppings, horse "piles" (ICK!) and lots of "monkey balls" (what are those things really called? Anyway, I just didnt' keep the pace up where I should have but was relieved that my hip didn't hurt while I was wogging (though it is sore now). It felt really good to be outside and doing some real distance again. I still can't fathom doing 26.2 at that pace, but as you all taught me last year, I don't need to be able to do it now. I just need to train to do it when the time comes!

AmyBeth68
02-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Cam, 6 is awesome. I can't fathom even doing that now LOL!
I would have loved to do the Spring Lake 5K...I was looking at that one in my search for races. But my cousin is getting married that day :goodvibes and my daughters are in the wedding. So that one is definitely out LOL! I'm doing the April 22nd 5K Festival up here in Sparta, NJ. I think it is going to be a hilly run though :scared: .

Cam, are you doing a Half Marathon in the fall? I'm really searching for a half to do as a training run in either September or October? I think the timing will be good for me as I start to hit my longer runs in prepration for the full in January. I would LOVE to do it with a Wish Team.....I think I'd feel more confident. Anyway, if you know of any good races let me know! I think there may be one in early October at the Jersey Shore somewhere. There is also a Philadelphia Half and Full in Sept/Oct timeframe that runs through the historic district which I thought would be cool. And there is definitely the Liberty Waterfront that runs with views of NYC and Statue of Liberty...and it looks like a nice flat course! :thumbsup2 It would be nice to plan an North East training race!

disnygoof
02-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Christa, your pics are so great! I think it's great you have a fellow partner in training on these boards! I'm jealous ;)

Not sure when I last updated on my workout, but I've gone Monday through today for 1.5 hours every day. I'm very proud of myself! I know by race time I will be fit as a fiddle! :) I also joined WW again (got a complimentary membership @ work woo! :woohoo: ). I've been doing really well w/food since January 1st (okay, 2nd LOL) but doing points and writing everything down I think will help me even more. I MUST get under 200 before WDW in May!

Good work everyone! Keep it up! You're all very inspiring to me on my journey to the 1/2! :worship:

solotraveler
02-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

Carrie-- Yeah, that is strange we've only met in WDW. It's not like we live in some great big city or anything. Then again, I only get out your way during the summer (but I do get out there a lot during the summer). I actually had the exact same thought the other day when your alumni association had a thing out at work.... they can't win with the weather this year-- for football it was the endless November thunderstorm, for basketball it was an ice storm warning. :rolleyes:

Mel-- Let see, you've registered for the half but now find yourself able to put in the training time for the full. Hmm, I think the universe WANTS you to have a 2007 Goofy medal! :teeth:

Christa/Bree-- I would say something really snarky about if you all are that smiley while running then you are not working hard enough... but then I remember your Goofy medals and I will go back to being quiet. ;)

I did get my run in today, 5.00 miles in 47:12 (9:26/mile pace) in some serious wind. I had been feeling like something was missing from my workout plan lately. Turns out it was actually running!

Off to work-
Happy training!

gatorphipps
02-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Christa/Bree-- I would say something really snarky about if you all are that smiley while running then you are not working hard enough... but then I remember your Goofy medals and I will go back to being quiet. ;)

I did get my run in today, 5.00 miles in 47:12 (9:26/mile pace) in some serious wind. I had been feeling like something was missing from my workout plan lately. Turns out it was actually running!

Off to work-
Happy training!
Kevin - No we were not really running that hard Friday. We had fun though. You don't have to be quiet, b/c I ran Goofy at a much slower pace than I am use to. You are SUPER FAST! :cool2: :worship:
I like that :D. How long is that thing??? From your one picture I got a good idea of how steep and long. Thanks for sharing....now I will laugh when I hit my BFHs. Do you get to run down the other side? I always call that my reward for getting up there! I've got two, one is really long (for me) and the other is just really really steep! But the steep one is MUCH easier than the long one. Then I've got a bunch of LFHs (Little Freakin' Hills) that are just annoying! AmyBeth - Yes there is a down..Here are the pix of that! :rotfl2:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ChristaPhipps/Feb%2010%20miler/DSC00416.jpg
I told you guys that I took ALOT of pix and I intend to make you look at every one of them! ;)

Minnie
02-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I am feeling much much better today :sunny: Thank you all for all your words of support and the pixie dust shower :goodvibes

Christa/Bree - I love the area that you get to run in even if there are hills. The area seems so pretty. Thanks for the pictures!

Judy - Your skunk story cracked me up. I'm sorry for the mess and smell that you are dealing with though :crazy2: Oh and btw I'm 31 :eek:

donac
02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
I hadn't thought about the Spring Lake 5k. I will have to think about it. That is also my birthday weekend and one of the few weekends that my husband will be home. He is going awayat the end of June with a boy scout trrop to New Mexico. Between the troop going to NM and his regular troop he is never home on weekends.

chimera
02-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Come join us for a new week!

Wk of Feb 26--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=11687148#post11687148)