PDA

View Full Version : BCV 2006 - Ewww

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 06:24 PM
First let start off by saying that this was not our first stay at BCV and, in fact, it is our fourth (family) trip in as many years. We LOVE Disney and we'll be heading back next February. That said...what is going on at the Beach Club Villas???

We've stayed at OKW. Our rooms were very clean and we always got a hearty 'welcome home.' At BCV - more often than not we got a terse nod as we entered the parking lot (though this year we were elated to get an initial 'welcome home' - kudos to that cast member, you made our evening).

Last year when we stayed at BCV, stormalong bay's rehab was more extensive and prolonged then they had advertised but the room we had was clean and stunning and they sent us some balloons on our anniversary.

This year, we checked in on Thursday, after 5pm. We had requested top floor, Spaceship Earth view, non-smoking. We know that requests are exactly that, requests, however when we were presented with our room (second floor, Epcot view, non-smoking) and inquired if there were any 4th or 5th floor rooms available, I was told that if we were willing to switch rooms the next day, a room with exactly what we were looking for would be available. Sure, I said, that'll work, no problem, thanks for offering. Please hold that room for us and we'll move tomorrow.

Flash forward to us checking into our room (the second floor room). The room was FILTHY. We're talking never cleaned. Soiled towels on the floor, animal crackers on the floor, stain on the couch, dirty, stinky diaper in the garbage can. :eek: I take a deep breath and immediately call housekeeping. They'll send someone right over. 20 min. later I call the front desk and say we can't wait any more we are STARVING. So we go to Beaches & Cream hoping that they will clean our room in our absence. 1.5 hours later we return and the maid is cleaning the room - good thing we didn't wait as the room was not immaculate so she must have gotten there 20 min. before or so.

OK, no reason to grump, the room is now 'clean' so to speak. I grab my lysol wipes and clean everything my DD, age 7, will touch. You know, everything I can see. We unpack only the base essentials and call it a night.

Next day, pack up, luggage to bell services, head to MK. Great day at MK, lunch at CRT, back to hotel for new room at 4pm. Check in and get our new room. Go to new room. New room has no SE view and a partial balcony. Fuming I send luggage back to storage and storm off to manager. "They messed up" Is the general message. I ask for last night's room back - it was better - nope, that's taken already. So, I get another 5th floor room with a pool view and (supposedly) a full balcony with the promise of the view we requested on 2/12 (2 nights away). Go to our new room. Guess what - this has only a partial balcony! Gee, don't these people (and this was a MANAGER I had been dealing with) have a clue on what their rooms offer? :confused3

Settle in to new room. Night before our move to new room, bag everything up, send luggage to bell services the day of the move. Move to final room. 5th floor, Epcot view, SE view, nonsmoking, full balcony. Yay! They totally dissed our anniversary on 2/14 though. :sad1: Nothing. Nada. And after asking our names and the number of our anniversary...... Really crappy.

Oh, and I was packing, I found a pair of little girl's undies behind the chest in the bedroom. Wasn't our princess's. Makes you wonder how much they clean doesn't it. :crazy2:

All I can say is if that service is this bad during the dream season what is it like during the peak season????

One thing I should mention - we were given one night at rack rate ($410 total - so less than the pts value for that Saturday night stay) credit for the first room switch debacle as they admitted they screwed up. It was NOT for the filthy room - that they simply eventually (spot) cleaned. I would have been cool with the whole thing except for the fact that they then dissed our anniversary really burned my britches. Really shabby. Oh, yeah, that and the dirty underwear that didn't belong to us in our room.

Word to the wise - pack your lysol and such.

And, yes, I'll be emailing guest relations all this - just thought I'd share.

How are things at the other DVC resorts? Is this just a bad stay, a BCV thing or more of a widespread decline? I hope it's not the latter as we JUST became DVC members after booking our 4th trip in 4 years. Please, please tell me it was just a bad stay that they kind of tried to make better?

BCVOwner2002
02-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear of all the issues you had. I haven't posted here a lot lately and hope that this is not a continuing problem as this is one of our home resorts and we will be going home in May. I'm surprised about your anniversary. I've always read that WDW is good about doing something. Annmarie

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Sorry to hear of all the issues you had. I haven't posted here a lot lately and hope that this is not a continuing problem as this is one of our home resorts and we will be going home in May. I'm surprised about your anniversary. I've always read that WDW is good about doing something. Annmarie

Thanks - I did just send a post off to guest relations so hopefully they will put some pressure on the resort to improve so that by the time you get there in May it will be up to snuff. It really is a great place to stay - this was just a very un-Disney like experience. (So not to worry - I'm sure they'll improve....)

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 06:50 PM
First let start off by saying that this was not our first stay at BCV and, in fact, it is our fourth (family) trip in as many years. We LOVE Disney and we'll be heading back next February. That said...what is going on at the Beach Club Villas???

We've stayed at OKW. Our rooms were very clean and we always got a hearty 'welcome home.' At BCV - more often than not we got a terse nod as we entered the parking lot (though this year we were elated to get an initial 'welcome home' - kudos to that cast member, you made our evening).

Last year when we stayed at BCV, stormalong bay's rehab was more extensive and prolonged then they had advertised but the room we had was clean and stunning and they sent us some balloons on our anniversary.

This year, we checked in on Thursday, after 5pm. We had requested top floor, Spaceship Earth view, non-smoking. We know that requests are exactly that, requests, however when we were presented with our room (second floor, Epcot view, non-smoking) and inquired if there were any 4th or 5th floor rooms available, I was told that if we were willing to switch rooms the next day, a room with exactly what we were looking for would be available. Sure, I said, that'll work, no problem, thanks for offering. Please hold that room for us and we'll move tomorrow.

Flash forward to us checking into our room (the second floor room). The room was FILTHY. We're talking never cleaned. Soiled towels on the floor, animal crackers on the floor, stain on the couch, dirty, stinky diaper in the garbage can. I take a deep breath and immediately call housekeeping. They'll send someone right over. 20 min. later I call the front desk and say we can't wait any more we are STARVING. So we go to Beaches & Cream hoping that they will clean our room in our absence. 1.5 hours later we return and the maid is cleaning the room - good thing we didn't wait as the room was not immaculate so she must have gotten there 20 min. before or so.

OK, no reason to grump, the room is now 'clean' so to speak. I grab my lysol wipes and clean everything my DD, age 7, will touch. You know, everything I can see. We unpack only the base essentials and call it a night.

Next day, pack up, luggage to bell services, head to MK. Great day at MK, lunch at CRT, back to hotel for new room at 4pm. Check in and get our new room. Go to new room. New room has no SE view and a partial balcony. Fuming I send luggage back to storage and storm off to manager. "They messed up" Is the general message. I ask for last night's room back - it was better - nope, that's taken already. So, I get another 5th floor room with a pool view and (supposedly) a full balcony with the promise of the view we requested on 2/12 (2 nights away). Go to our new room. Guess what - this has only a partial balcony! Gee, don't these people (and this was a MANAGER I had been dealing with) have a clue on what their rooms offer?

Settle in to new room. Night before our move to new room, bag everything up, send luggage to bell services the day of the move. Move to final room. 5th floor, Epcot view, SE view, nonsmoking, full balcony. Yay! They totally dissed our anniversary on 2/14 though. Nothing. Nada. And after asking our names and the number of our anniversary...... Really crappy.

Oh, and I was packing, I found a pair of little girl's undies behind the chest in the bedroom. Wasn't our princess's. Makes you wonder how much they clean doesn't it.

All I can say is if that service is this bad during the dream season what is it like during the peak season????

One thing I should mention - we were given one night at rack rate ($410 total - so less than the pts value for that Saturday night stay) credit for the first room switch debacle as they admitted they screwed up. It was NOT for the filthy room - that they simply eventually (spot) cleaned. I would have been cool with the whole thing except for the fact that they then dissed our anniversary really burned my britches. Really shabby. Oh, yeah, that and the dirty underwear that didn't belong to us in our room.

Word to the wise - pack your lysol and such.

And, yes, I'll be emailing guest relations all this - just thought I'd share.

How are things at the other DVC resorts? Is this just a bad stay, a BCV thing or more of a widespread decline? I hope it's not the latter as we JUST became DVC members after booking our 4th trip in 4 years. Please, please tell me it was just a bad stay that they kind of tried to make better?

Sammie
02-18-2006, 06:52 PM
You might want to post this on the DVC forums.

As to our experiences we have never had these type of problems. I would definitely expect a clean room and would be upset it if was not. You were actually lucky they did not charge to change rooms due to view. Definitely if a room is not clean they need to deal with that but DVC members do not get to change rooms without a transfer charge because they don't like the view or balcony size.

I would never expect a certain view or balcony and size and definitely nothing for an anniversary that I did not pay for myself and arrange.

We have not had problems at other DVC either.

wilderness01
02-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Ok you know on some of this you are going to get flamed right? Except for the dirty room/dirty underwear, everything else was a request and not guaranteed. No matter if they tell you at the desk you are getting a certain thing, it is still not a guarantee. I do think it is dishonest, but this has happened to quite a few people as they say they don't want a handicap room and then that is what they get, etc. Especially regarding your anniversary, really if you wanted some balloons sent, you should have ordered them and had them sent. That should not be expected and if more people think that, then no one will ever receive that as a surprise. Really, I would be happy that I received them last year as a treat and call that a day. I would be very upset about the dirty room, having to wait for a dirty room to be cleaned, being lied to/misled, and finding dirty underwear in your room. These are the things that you need to focus on with your letter. Sorry this happened to you. I am not dismissing your other complaints, but really, from experience, focus on the other things that definately should have been right from the get go and maybe you will receive some satisfaction. I was put in a dirty room, my first trip as well. It was very disheartening to say the least. I was so mad that I did write to the corporate office. The man that finally got back to me was so surprised as this had never occured before, according to him. I laughed and said, ok whatever. I don't think it was a first time occurrence. Good luck to you. Sorry that this happened.

I hope the moderators move this to the DVC boards as you will get more responses.

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 07:04 PM
You might want to post this on the DVC forums.

As to our experiences we have never had these type of problems. I would definitely expect a clean room and would be upset it if was not.

I would never expect a certain view or balcony and size and definitely nothing for an anniversary that I did not pay for myself and arrange.

We have not had problems at other DVC either.

Thanks - posted there.

To be clear:

1) Expected view as we were willing to move for the view we wanted. View was not delivered. Resort amended by refunding rack rate (sans tax) for night. Not pts - which would have been 56 points.

2) Were disappointed that not even a happy anniversary was said as three separate cast members looked at our reservation, asked my husband's name, my name and our anniversary date and number. One even went so far as to say they send a runner over 'with a surprise'. So yes, you don't expect....until your expectations are set by the person who promises to deliver something. Then when they don't...well that's a different story. In my book anyway. Guess the thing is...promise nothing, say nothing unless you intend to execute in a timely and quality fashion. A Disney resort of all places should know this. At least IMO.

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok you know on some of this you are going to get flamed right? Except for the dirty room/dirty underwear, everything else was a request and not guaranteed. No matter if they tell you at the desk you are getting a certain thing, it is still not a guarantee. I do think it is dishonest, but this has happened to quite a few people as they say they don't want a handicap room and then that is what they get, etc. Especially regarding your anniversary, really if you wanted some balloons sent, you should have ordered them and had them sent. That should not be expected and if more people think that, then no one will ever receive that as a surprise. Really, I would be happy that I received them last year as a treat and call that a day. I would be very upset about the dirty room, having to wait for a dirty room to be cleaned, being lied to/misled, and finding dirty underwear in your room. These are the things that you need to focus on with your letter. Sorry this happened to you. I am not dismissing your other complaints, but really, from experience, focus on the other things that definately should have been right from the get go and maybe you will receive some satisfaction. I was put in a dirty room, my first trip as well. It was very disheartening to say the least. I was so mad that I did write to the corporate office. The man that finally got back to me was so surprised as this had never occured before, according to him. I laughed and said, ok whatever. I don't think it was a first time occurrence. Good luck to you. Sorry that this happened.

I hope the moderators move this to the DVC boards as you will get more responses.

Sure, flame away - not that I think you did (but others might). If this is the kind of service that people find acceptible then I obviously am in the miniority and it explains why this is what I experienced. If others think this is cool - well, good for you, I guess I hold people to what they promise and if you read carefully you'll see that I stated I understood room views were not guarranteed. I agreed to move and at that point the view became a promise. The manager obviously thought so too....

DVCconvert
02-18-2006, 07:32 PM
The room was FILTHY. We're talking never cleaned. Soiled towels on the floor, animal crackers on the floor, stain on the couch, dirty, stinky diaper in the garbage can. I take a deep breath and immediately call housekeeping.

So do you honestly believe that the room -- since it's creation in or about 6 years ago had never been cleaned????????????????????????

How are things at the other DVC resorts? Is this just a bad stay

I don't even own at BCV and I find it hard to believe what you said. IMHO -- based on dozens of other stays at other DVC Resorts--I can only imagine you had "a bad stay" -- 'cause it seems to be nothing like what I have experienced. Either that, or your expectation are so unlike mine that we could never agree on the condition of a room. :confused3

DVCconvert
02-18-2006, 07:35 PM
see your other post on this board for my opinion/observations.

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 07:43 PM
So do you honestly believe that the room -- since it's creation in or about 6 years ago had never been cleaned????????????????????????

LOL, well, ok, you got me. I'm sure it was cleaned some time in 2006 and prior....just not for our check in.

I don't even own at BCV and I find it hard to believe what you said. IMHO -- based on dozens of other stays at other DVC Resorts--I can only imagine you had "a bad stay" -- 'cause it seems to be nothing like what I have experienced. Either that, or your expectation are so unlike mine that we could never agree on the condition of a room. :confused3

Well, that's a comfort. (and I wouldn't make this stuff up!) We do love Disney but we've had more seamless and cleaner stays at a Quality Inn. Though, yes, without stormalong bay and being in the World. So, we'll chalk this one up to a bad experience that they tried to patch somewhat, rest easy that we passed on our thoughts to guest relations and go in fresh next year. :sunny:

DVCconvert
02-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Well, that's a comfort.

And that's as it was meant to be! :)

I'm sure -- based on my own experience -- you just had a bad one. We've stayed at BWV/OKW/VB/VWL on points many, many times -- and the rooms (1 bedrooms-grand villas) have always been spotless! :)

I think you should look forward to your next stay! :)....and if there are any problems -- PLEASE-- make management aware of them when you're on property! :)

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 07:56 PM
And that's as it was meant to be! :)

I'm sure -- based on my own experience -- you just had a bad one. We've stayed at BWV/OKW/VB/VWL on points many, many times -- and the rooms (1 bedrooms-grand villas) have always been spotless! :)

I think you should look forward to your next stay! :)....and if there are any problems -- PLEASE-- make management aware of them when you're on property! :)

See? I knew my fellow Dis-ers would help me feel less disappointed and sunny again. Thanks. :goodvibes

Beca
02-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Okay....I'm not sure where to begin on this one. I will be the 1st to admit that the policies of "room requests" at BCV are probably the worst in DVC's system. I spoke to the GM about this at the owner's meeting, and he didn't seem concerned about what views owners get...it was disappointing. And, Kudos to you for being willing to move to get your views. However, it seems to me that you may have just had too many requests to get them all met. Because of the architecture at BCV, some rooms have full balconies, and some do not...I seriously doubt that it is in BCV's system as to which rooms do/do not.

I RARELY get my request of views at BCV, and have never been compensated for not getting them....which, IMO is what happened in your case. I cannot even imagine how "ugly" this scene had to get for you to be offered that. In your own words, you "Storm(ed) off to the manager". I cannot imagine it was pretty, and you probably added to the disdainful view that some CM's have for DVC members.

And finally.....Congrats on your anniversary...I hope it was wonderful!!! However, being mad because someone outside your marriage does not recognize it, or even wish you "Happy Anniversary" is silly. Maybe I come from the "other" end of the spectrum....but, I would be SHOCKED if someone (besides my dh) made mention of my anniversary. People visit WDW for "special occasions" all the time....it would be REALLY tough for them to remember everyone's "special" times.

I love my BCV's SOOOO much!! But, the truth is....service there can be VERY spotty. I know CM's get SOOO tired of people requesting Epcot views (that now you can no longer request them). And, most CM's HATE having DVC members in the resort....they feel we are demanding, high-maintenance, and think we "own" the resort. I know this was your first trip home as an owner....and, as a fellow owner, I am deeply saddened by the demands that you made on the resort (switching rooms 2 times which caused the rooms to be cleaned at all of our expense) for you to get your desired view.

I feel so badly for you that you had to change rooms two times....but, really all three rooms were acceptable (once the first room was cleaned), barring the fact that they did not meet your "requests". We would've just written it off as "the luck of the draw", and enjoyed our vacation.

But then, I wouldn't have even noticed that no one was saying, "Happy Anniversary" to me.

Maybe you would do better to own a timeshare where you actually own a particular unit. That way, you could be "guaranteed" your view, and would not have to "storm down to the manager", and get compensated for a free night to get it.

I think you made out pretty well in this situation.

:firefight (Getting ready for the flames)

Beca

Simba's Mom
02-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Can you explain what a "partial balcony" is compared to a "full balcony"? Is that when you have a 1 or 2 BR villa, but only a balcony off the living room. not extending to the MBR? Where have you stayed for special occassions in the past? I ask because if you've only stayed at OKW, but always got recognized, my experience has been that of all 10 different resorts we've stayed at, OKW was the only place to send balloons or anything to recognize a special event (DS's college graduation, which I'd mentioned at check in, but was so surprised by the balloons).

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 09:12 PM

Beca

Sorry to disappoint you. You're entitled to your opinion. You're obviously more flexible than I am OR more able to be forgiving as this did not happen to you. Either way I stand by my feelings but no flames here.

Peace. :)

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Can you explain what a "partial balcony" is compared to a "full balcony"? Is that when you have a 1 or 2 BR villa, but only a balcony off the living room. not extending to the MBR? ).

Yes, that's it exactly.

Where have you stayed for special occassions in the past? I ask because if you've only stayed at OKW, but always got recognized, my experience has been that of all 10 different resorts we've stayed at, OKW was the only place to send balloons or anything to recognize a special event (DS's college graduation, which I'd mentioned at check in, but was so surprised by the balloons).

I'm assuming you mean at Disney, right? In recent years - OKW (twice), Poly (once) and BCV (twice). This was my only experience where the hotel commented on our anniversary, said something to the effect of 'hmmm, we'll have to do something about that' and did not. I want to be clear here - it is not the fact that they didn't send me winged ponies or balloons or something. I'm not Jennifer Anniston. What I take issue with is the fact that they made the comment, they set the expectations and then did not deliver. Esp. after they had made the same mistake - expectation setting - with the room debacle.

Whatever - it's over and next year will be better. And what the heck - it was still a week away from work and at the World!

shantay1008
02-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Why are some people being so hard on the OP? I think it's incredibly disappointing to have high hopes and expectations for your vacation and then have things go wrong. We just got back from our first trip to SSR/BCV as members and quite a few things happened that were not at all what I had envisioned as I dreamed about our vacation. Nothing earth-shattering, but still.... Well, plus I probably wanted things to be too perfect because we brought my parents, and I wanted everything to be so special for them.

So I think it's understandable to want things to be great on your vacation, or at least not to have to deal with big hassles.

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Why are some people being so hard on the OP? I think it's incredibly disappointing to have high hopes and expectations for your vacation and then have things go wrong. We just got back from our first trip to SSR/BCV as members and quite a few things happened that were not at all what I had envisioned as I dreamed about our vacation. Nothing earth-shattering, but still.... Well, plus I probably wanted things to be too perfect because we brought my parents, and I wanted everything to be so special for them.

So I think it's understandable to want things to be great on your vacation, or at least not to have to deal with big hassles.

Thanks. Sorry you too had your own tribulations.

Personally I think as long as 'glitches' are allowed to pass without comment they won't be addressed and that's why I chose to comment here as well as to guest services. Things can't improve if they don't think anything needs improving. Just MO.

zulaya
02-18-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm pretty surprised that they even offered to move you after one night's stay only because of your room requests. I mean, usually once you get in a room and want to switch, I thought they charged you a $25 room cleaning fee.

I agree they shouldn't have promised what they couldn't deliver. Venting here probably made you feel better, but won't do anything more. Hopefully your letter to management will be considered.

I'd love a SE view myself at some point, but people got so rampant requesting that and the Epcot view that it's not even an option for them to put it on a request anymore.

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty surprised that they even offered to move you after one night's stay only because of your room requests. I mean, usually once you get in a room and want to switch, I thought they charged you a $25 room cleaning fee.

I agree they shouldn't have promised what they couldn't deliver. Venting here probably made you feel better, but won't do anything more. Hopefully your letter to management will be considered.

I'd love a SE view myself at some point, but people got so rampant requesting that and the Epcot view that it's not even an option for them to put it on a request anymore.

Hmmm, I guess I should further clarify. I didn't ask to switch once I was in the room. When I checked in, I asked what the view was. When I was told and said oh, ok, they offered to stick me in another room the next day which had the view I wanted. It was offered, I accepted. The next day when I inserted the key into the next room and found it was nothing that had been promised, I shut the door and went downstairs. I was then given the pool view 5th floor room for 2 nights. Then the final, final room for the balance of my stay. So yes, they cleaned 3 rooms but remember, I had been willing to stay in the 2nd floor room. I didn't raise a stink at check in. All I said was oh, well. That's it. They OFFERED to give me my requested view and spent a bit of time trying to deliver that. Given this experience, whatever I get next time, I get. It just had better be CLEAN. :rotfl2:

Beca
02-18-2006, 10:31 PM

I don't mean to be so hard on the OP, but seriously....there are some things we accept as DVC owners...the first is that views are just requests....not guarantees. The "hassles" in this case (except for the room being dirty) were self-inflicted.

I know that you are both new DVC members, but I wish you could've read a CM's opinion of DVC'ers about a year ago. It was really eye-opening!!! And, while I think the CM probably needed to find a new job, I have witnessed a few "demanding" DVC owners in my short time as an owner, that I have wanted to run to the CM yelling, "I'm so sorry....we are not all like that, I promise!!!"

And, to keep changing rooms at all of our expense because of a view.....well, I hope this behaviour is not wide-spread....my dues are high enough!! Now, if the OP paid for the switches...that would be a different story.

But, storming to the manager about a view is the type of behaviour that makes CM's less willing to work with all DVC members....it makes CM's resent us, and makes all of our vacations "less magical". Behaviour such as this may eventually lead to "no view requests" becoming a policy. If you abuse, you lose.

The OP had three complaints:
1) Room was dirty....TOTALLY justified, but honestly...it happens a LOT at DVC. People leave rooms in SUCH disarray that it is embarassing to me. The morning of our last stay, we clean the room VERY well before we leave. We strip the beds and towels, and place them in one spot by the door, run the dishes, vacuum the floors, and take out the trash. And, then we leave a pretty "hefty" tip for the mousekeeper. Why...because I want them to think DVCer's are WONDERFUL and a joy to deal with. I totally believe what you put out comes back to you, and in this case....others as well.

2) Did not get requested view....okay, well...that is just a request. I understand that the OP was trying to be accomodating by staying in a room w/o the requested view, and switching the next day....but, per DVC policy the resort was being accomodating as well....they were not charging the $25 change fee. Personally, I think the resort was nice being able to allow the OP to switch at all....I'm sure this caused some "shuffling" on their part.

3) No one did anything special for their anniversary. And, the hotel said they would. I don't even think I have to elaborate on this one.

EVERYONE's trip to WDW is special...EVERYONE would like their view requests met. In DVC, sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not. But, causing a scene, or treating a cast member badly is NEVER acceptable. They do not "deliberately" try to sabotage your trip. BCV runs at almost 100% occupancy all the time...is it perfect? No....but, I think they do a really great job, and I am happy to get to be there.

FWIW, we were there in December with a 2nd floor Epcot view room. I had asked for 5th floor Epcot but did not get it. The location and view was WONDERFUL...I'd take it again in a heartbeat.

If expectations are too high....DVC will NEVER make such people happy. I cannot even imagine how upset the OP would've been to have received a smoking or HA room, and yet...it does happen to owners everyday. We are all equal, and deserve equal, not preferential treatment.

The search feature is down, or I would try to find that thread for you to read. If I remember, I will post as soon as the search feature comes up. If you want to try, it was called "Why CM's hate DVC members" or something like that. All members should be encouraged to read this.

:wave:

Beca

Beca
02-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Hmmm, I guess I should further clarify. I didn't ask to switch once I was in the room. When I checked in, I asked what the view was. When I was told and said oh, ok, they offered to stick me in another room the next day which had the view I wanted. It was offered, I accepted. The next day when I inserted the key into the next room and found it was nothing that had been promised, I shut the door and went downstairs. I was then given the pool view 5th floor room for 2 nights. Then the final, final room for the balance of my stay. So yes, they cleaned 3 rooms but remember, I had been willing to stay in the 2nd floor room. I didn't raise a stink at check in. All I said was oh, well. That's it. They OFFERED to give me my requested view and spent a bit of time trying to deliver that. Given this experience, whatever I get next time, I get. It just had better be CLEAN. :rotfl2:

Thanks for clarifying that!!! Learning what/what not to expect of DVC is definitely a learning curve.

I have seen and heard CM's talking about DVC members in such a BAD way at BCV. I have also seen/heard wonderful CM's. I have to think they don't hate us without cause. They do say that we are the WORST group of people to deal with at WDW, and their our "demands" of view requests are out of control. The debate hinges on how people react to being called "owners" and what expectations that implies.

I wish DVC published an "Owners guide to DVC etiquette" and handed it to each person when they buy in. I think part of the problem is that DVC guides promise the MOON to get you to buy, but the reality is much different. "Seasoned" DVC'ers get bothered by much less than I do, and I am obviously bothered by much less than you are....maybe with time we all chill out!!

Beca

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 10:43 PM
I don't mean to be so hard on the OP, but seriously....there are some things we accept as DVC owners...the first is that views are just requests....not guarantees. The "hassles" in this case (except for the room being dirty) were self-inflicted.

I know that you are both new DVC members, but I wish you could've read a CM's opinion of DVC'ers about a year ago. It was really eye-opening!!! And, while I think the CM probably needed to find a new job, I have witnessed a few "demanding" DVC owners in my short time as an owner, that I have wanted to run to the CM yelling, "I'm so sorry....we are not all like that, I promise!!!"

And, to keep changing rooms at all of our expense because of a view.....well, I hope this behaviour is not wide-spread....my dues are high enough!! Now, if the OP paid for the switches...that would be a different story.

But, storming to the manager about a view is the type of behaviour that makes CM's less willing to work with all DVC members....it makes CM's resent us, and makes all of our vacations "less magical". Behaviour such as this may eventually lead to "no view requests" becoming a policy. If you abuse, you lose.

The OP had three complaints:
1) Room was dirty....TOTALLY justified, but honestly...it happens a LOT at DVC. People leave rooms in SUCH disarray that it is embarassing to me. The morning of our last stay, we clean the room VERY well before we leave. We strip the beds and towels, and place them in one spot by the door, run the dishes, vacuum the floors, and take out the trash. And, then we leave a pretty "hefty" tip for the mousekeeper. Why...because I want them to think DVCer's are WONDERFUL and a joy to deal with. I totally believe what you put out comes back to you, and in this case....others as well.

2) Did not get requested view....okay, well...that is just a request. I understand that the OP was trying to be accomodating by staying in a room w/o the requested view, and switching the next day....but, per DVC policy the resort was being accomodating as well....they were not charging the $25 change fee. Personally, I think the resort was nice being able to allow the OP to switch at all....I'm sure this caused some "shuffling" on their part.

3) No one did anything special for their anniversary. And, the hotel said they would. I don't even think I have to elaborate on this one.

EVERYONE's trip to WDW is special...EVERYONE would like their view requests met. In DVC, sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not. But, causing a scene, or treating a cast member badly is NEVER acceptable. They do not "deliberately" try to sabotage your trip. BCV runs at almost 100% occupancy all the time...is it perfect? No....but, I think they do a really great job, and I am happy to get to be there.

FWIW, we were there in December with a 2nd floor Epcot view room. I had asked for 5th floor Epcot but did not get it. The location and view was WONDERFUL...I'd take it again in a heartbeat.

If expectations are too high....DVC will NEVER make such people happy. I cannot even imagine how upset the OP would've been to have received a smoking or HA room, and yet...it does happen to owners everyday. We are all equal, and deserve equal, not preferential treatment.

The search feature is down, or I would try to find that thread for you to read. If I remember, I will post as soon as the search feature comes up. If you want to try, it was called "Why CM's hate DVC members" or something like that. All members should be encouraged to read this.

Beca

Beca - You have some points, but please go back and carefully read my post - at least the point on the switching of rooms. There you will see that I did not raise a hissy about the view until the requested view was promised me upon room change and not delivered. Please read carefully. Thank you.

I find it hard to believe that you are so chill when you did not take the time to read but posted about what a @#$% I am or rather 'how embarrassed you are that I'm a DVC member too'. That's your opinion and your entitled, but you do need to base your opinions on fact please. Thanks.

Point taken on anniversary and such. Remember this the next time someone says they will do something for you and does not as it most surely will happen - that you have 'no right to complain'.

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 10:52 PM

<Sigh> This from my original posting: This year, we checked in on Thursday, after 5pm. We had requested top floor, Spaceship Earth view, non-smoking. We know that requests are exactly that, requests, however when we were presented with our room (second floor, Epcot view, non-smoking) and inquired if there were any 4th or 5th floor rooms available, I was told that if we were willing to switch rooms the next day, a room with exactly what we were looking for would be available. Sure, I said, that'll work, no problem, thanks for offering. Please hold that room for us and we'll move tomorrow.

While I don't want to be a bother to CMs, I'm not looking to ingratiate myself them to them either. I expect them to do a top notch job, just as I am expected to do a top notch job when I am at work. Do I say please, excuse me, thank you, you're welcome and bless you? You bet! Do I smile? Sure! But does this mean I won't say something if people don't deliver what they promise (not say maybe they will - that's different - we're talking definitely will)? No way. That's what it means to do a JOB to be accountable whether you are teacher, a CM, a project manager or a Mom or whatever. I'm sorry if this guest 'was a bother' to them but they created the problem by setting the expectation of their own accord and then not delivering so they only have themselves to blame.

Again - it's over so 'whatever'.

Beca
02-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Beca - You have some points, but please go back and carefully read my post - at least the point on the switching of rooms. There you will see that I did not raise a hissy about the view until the requested view was promised me upon room change and not delivered. Please read carefully. Thank you.

Actually, I did read carefully...my point is this. BCV did not make a mistake when they did not deliver on the promised view, they made a mistake when they promised it in the first place. The irony of this situation is that it sounds like the room with the view you requested had been blocked off for you, but the resort had to change it because someone else might have protested about a view. (Either that, or it just was not "doable" to switch at the last minute, as rooms are assigned to make sure that all rooms can be filled for all the check-in/check-out days that are going on.)

What I am saying is....when I check in to a room, am told "Oh, we met all your requests...you are going to LOVE this room. However, it is not ready...go to the park, and call back to get your room number." Then, when I get to the room and it does NOT meet all my requests....I just go, "Oh well....I guess someone messed up." Until I have actually been assigned a room number by DVC...the reality is, there are NO promises....it's all just requests. I understand your frustration by moving and not getting your view request...but, maybe the CM who told you that just made a mistake from the "get go". It happens.

Your DVC membership will get very frustrating for you if keep expecting your view requests to be granted....more often, they are not (especially Epcot views at BCV. It's like requesting Congress Park at SSR....there are a few of them, and a lot of people want them.) We have learned to go in with a "we have a room" attitude, and we are thrilled when it is non-smoking, non-handicapped (however, our time will come for this one as well). Any "surprises" on our requests being granted....well, that's just gravy!!!

Now that you are an owner, I would strongly recommend going to the BCV owners meeting in early December and ask the GM about his views on "view requests"...that would be eye-opening as well. It really isn't even on his horizon.

Beca

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Actually, I did read carefully...my point is this. BCV did not make a mistake when they did not deliver on the promised view, they made a mistake when they promised it in the first place. The irony of this situation is that it sounds like the room with the view you requested had been blocked off for you, but the resort had to change it because someone else might have protested about a view. (Either that, or it just was not "doable" to switch at the last minute, as rooms are assigned to make sure that all rooms can be filled for all the check-in/check-out days that are going on.)

What I am saying is....when I check in to a room, am told "Oh, we met all your requests...you are going to LOVE this room. However, it is not ready...go to the park, and call back to get your room number." Then, when I get to the room and it does NOT meet all my requests....I just go, "Oh well....I guess someone messed up." Until I have actually been assigned a room number by DVC...the reality is, there are NO promises....it's all just requests. I understand your frustration by moving and not getting your view request...but, maybe the CM who told you that just made a mistake from the "get go". It happens.

Your DVC membership will get very frustrating for you if keep expecting your view requests to be granted....more often, they are not (especially Epcot views at BCV. It's like requesting Congress Park at SSR....there are a few of them, and a lot of people want them.) We have learned to go in with a "we have a room" attitude, and we are thrilled when it is non-smoking, non-handicapped (however, our time will come for this one as well). Any "surprises" on our requests being granted....well, that's just gravy!!!

Now that you are an owner, I would strongly recommend going to the BCV owners meeting in early December and ask the GM about his views on "view requests"...that would be eye-opening as well. It really isn't even on his horizon.

Beca

Thanks for the tips. Still don't feel you read well either that or I didn't write well as your point on view is understood. I KNEW THAT and was not pressing it. But fine, I accept your advice and promise to be better member that make your CMs happy with you and the rest of us. Kay? As you can see I stated whatever room I get next year, I get but darn well better be clean with no stinky diaper and soiled towels in it!

wilderness01
02-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Gothmommie wrote:

While I don't want to be a bother to CMs, I'm not looking to ingratiate myself them to them either. I expect them to do a top notch job, just as I am expected to do a top notch job when I am at work. Do I say please, excuse me, thank you, you're welcome and bless you? You bet! Do I smile? Sure! But does this mean I won't say something if people don't deliver what they promise (not say maybe they will - that's different - we're talking definitely will)? No way. That's what it means to do a JOB to be accountable whether you are teacher, a CM, a project manager or a Mom or whatever. I'm sorry if this guest 'was a bother' to them but they created the problem by setting the expectation of their own accord and then not delivering so they only have themselves to blame.

::yes:: ::yes:: I totally agree with the above statement.

I am very sorry if any CM views DVC members as unreasonable, rude, etc. I am not like that. However, there is no way I am going to clean the unit upon our departing. Do I leave garbage there? No. I never use any of the kitchen items so I don't load the dishwasher. I do leave the towels in a pile in the bathtub. But that is it. The rest of the cleaning is up to them period. That is what I pay dues for. I also do not leave them a tip as I don't even have them come in to bring towels to us during the towel and trash day. I tell them I don't want that service and wash the towels myself. I have only been a member for 5 years and no, I do not expect perfection every time. But I expect cleanliness. That is not too much to expect. I expect this every time I check into any hotel. If Disney is having a problem with this, then they need to fix it pronto. I have had a few issues with cleanliness in our units with DVC. Once we had crap (literal) smeared on the master bathroom door. Sorry there is no excuse for that. Yes someone did it and didn't clean it up. But neither did the housekeeper. And before I get flamed, I have cleaned up plenty of that in my time and know that is what it was. I do plenty of cleanups at my job, most of which the messes I didn't make, but it is part of my job. Fair? Maybe not. My job? Yes. I also agree that the CM's shouldn't lie to you. We had a similar experience at WL. My family member was staying in the Lodge and they lied to us about the room, location, etc. Well, it was late that night but I still went back down to the desk to ask that she be switched. They said sure, that they blocked a room for the next day, gave me the room number (which I thought was weird since they are so secretative about this normally) and said it was a go. It should have been a huge red flag to me once they gave me the room number that they were lying but I was tired and just believed them. So the next morning I wait in line for 30 minutes and you guessed it, that room had been given out. Actually it had been given out 2 days before so it wasn't actually available/blocked like the CM said the night before. So they said to check back the next morning as more rooms were opening up. So we did and you guessed it, none were available. I was now mad that twice in a row we had been lied to. Did it ruin our vacation? No. But it was disheartening to have a CM and then a manager look you in the eye and lie. How their noses didn't grow as they were talking to me I will never know! :( :headache: :duck:

Jen D
02-18-2006, 11:47 PM
The objection seems to be not with not getting the requests granted and the anniversary recognized but with CMs gratuitously blowing smoke up their yada yada, saying we'll grant these requests if you go to the trouble of changing rooms, and then not doing it.

The anniversary thing-- I know where you are coming from. I remember once when we took my 7-year old for a character breakfast at Ohana on her birthday. She was wearing a birthday pin. The hostess made a big fuss and said, well we're going to do something really special for her! I think I sort of fake demured, like, oh , that's not necessary, and she said, no, we'll bring her something NICE!

Well, naturally nothing was done. Yes the characters visited and my dd had a wonderful birthday breakfast and forgot or hadn't paid attention to my exchange with the hostess. But I thought it was pretty lame to say they would do something and not do it.

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 11:52 PM
The anniversary thing-- I where you are coming from. I remember once when we took my 7-year old for a character breakfast at Ohana on her birthday. She was wearing a birthday pin. The hostess made a big fuss and said, well we're going to do something really special for her! I think I sort of fake demured, like, oh , that's not necessary, and she said, no, we'll bring her something NICE!

Well, naturally nothing was done. Yes the characters visited and my dd had a wonderful birthday breakfast and forgot or hadn't paid attention to my exchange with the hostess. But I thought it was pretty lame to say they would do something and not do it.

EXACTLY!

Sorry this happened to your daughter. For it to happen to a kid that's really awful! :guilty: Thank goodness she had missed your exchange with the hostess!

gothmommie
02-18-2006, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=wilderness01] Once we had crap (literal) smeared on the master bathroom door. Sorry there is no excuse for that. Yes someone did it and didn't clean it up. But neither did the housekeeper. And before I get flamed, I have cleaned up plenty of that in my time and know that is what it was.[QUOTE]

Wow, I don't know how any one could flame you for that. That's HORRIBLE. At least the poo in my room was contained to a Huggies. So sorry that happened to you. I hope you complained.

Beca
02-18-2006, 11:56 PM
However, there is no way I am going to clean the unit upon our departing.

That's fine...I know that cleaning the unit upon departure is not required, but as someone who is thrilled when I can get into a room before 4:00pm, I like to think that the little "extras" my family does might help another family to get in early as well.

Beca

wilderness01
02-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Beca that is nice of your family and sometimes I wish someone would do my job and let me still get paid for it. But realistically that doesn't happen and I am responsible. That is how I feel. I am on vacation and I work hard all year to go on vacation. Again, we are no slobs, take out our own garbage (did that when we had a cleaning service in our home as well), leave the towels in a heap in the tub and leave a clean refrigerator. So I think it is more than fair to expect the housekeepers to do a thorough job. I am not asking for flowers to be left on the table for the guest. I am just asking for the unit to be clean. I think that is more than fair. Actually many times, the unit that we leave is more clean than when we arrive. That is what I have an issue with. I should never go into a unit that needs vaccuming, has stool smeared on the door, toothpaste smeared on the wall, a dirty micowave, grease/finger prints all over the cabinets, the bed not changed from the previous occupant as evidenced by the dirty sock we found at the end of the bed in between the sheets that we had slept in for 2 nights :scared1: (our kids did not own that kind of sock so it wasn't ours) or a bathroom floor that is full of hair. None of these situations are acceptable, and yet they all happened to us on prior DVC visits. We have had exceptional cleaning while at the CR, the Yacht Club and the Wilderness Lodge itself, so I know it is possible. It is just disheartening that this is happening at all at the DVC resorts. No other deluxe accomodations that we have stayed at ever had all these issues, yet we have stayed in 4 DVC resorts and all of the above have happened. Now when I go into a unit I do look at the cleanliness. If it is not up to par, I call housekeeping and I have them come back. I have no problem with housekeeping not coming in daily, but I will not clean up other people's messes. :crazy2:

wilderness01
02-19-2006, 12:17 AM
gothmommie wrote:

[QUOTE=wilderness01] Once we had crap (literal) smeared on the master bathroom door. Sorry there is no excuse for that. Yes someone did it and didn't clean it up. But neither did the housekeeper. And before I get flamed, I have cleaned up plenty of that in my time and know that is what it was.[QUOTE]

Wow, I don't know how any one could flame you for that. That's HORRIBLE. At least the poo in my room was contained to a Huggies. So sorry that happened to you. I hope you complained.

Someone actually had the nerve to write when this incident happened that maybe it was actually chocolate smeared on the door and had I had it tested to confirm it was stool. How insulting. :headache: Again, in my job and with my kids, I have cleaned up plenty of it so I think I know what it is and how it cleans up. Plus who in the world would be eating anything chocolate or otherwise in the bathroom? :scared1:

That is the trip that I wrote to the corporate office with a cc to our guide and to Michael Eisner (not that he would have cared, but it made me feel better). I do think part of the problem is that the unit they are selling is in tip top shape and then that is not what is delivered. Again, we travel alot so I know what is a normal expectation and what is not. Again, just my opinion that cleanliness is not an over the top expectation. :worried:

SamiL
02-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Someone actually had the nerve to write when this incident happened that maybe it was actually chocolate smeared on the door and had I had it tested to confirm it was stool. How insulting. :headache: Again, in my job and with my kids, I have cleaned up plenty of it so I think I know what it is and how it cleans up. Plus who in the world would be eating anything chocolate or otherwise in the bathroom? :scared1:

Seems like a strange place to be snacking on smores (or anything else for that matter) :confused3

And how were you supposed to "Test" it?

Whatever is was, I'd say it doesn't belong on the door. Blah! :eek:

Terry S
02-19-2006, 10:13 AM
My opinion on all this....

The dirty room upon check in..... I don't beleive it was a room that housekeeping cleaned poorly. I beleive it was a room that was not cleaned at all. It was human error. Someone in housekeeping made a mistake. After they clean a room they need to call it in saying it is clean and then someone in housekeeping goes in to the computer and clicks on the little button that says the room was ready. Somone clicked on the button for the wrong room. Human error! Anyone on her perfect, please step forward..... Anyone here not make a typo before???? I agree that it was a pain in the butt to get to your room and have it not clean, but the front desk did not make a mistake, they put you in a room the computer said was clean.

The room change thing..... You mentioned in your post that you inquired about a 4th or 5th floor rooms. The front desk actually made a few mistakes at this point that could have prevented all the disappointments. They should have notified you that there was a room change fee and also should have told you that they will block a room off for you but it is not gaurnteed. You see unfortunatly, contrary to your experience, BCV really does try to make thier guests happy and the squeakiest wheel usually gets the best room. Someone probably came down to the lobby and threw a fit and they put them in the room that was blocked off for you. Unfortunate, but it happens and this is why DVC members get a bad repuation. As I said the mistake really was in telling you that you would get the room, they should have had you call down before packing and move then and there. I have had this happen at 2 occasions at different resorts where I inquired if a different view was available. I then asked if a room would be available in the next few days and I would be willing to pay the room change fee. I was told yes they would block a room but it was not gauranteed. I should call down the morning of the move and check before packing. This would have solved some of your problems and expectations.

The other issue I want to comment on is full balcony. The balcony you got was a "full" balcony. It did not extend the length of your entire unit, but it was considered a full balcony in the eyes of the BC cast member. Have you ever looked at the BC? There are 2 different balconies there, full balconies and standing room only balconies. These balconies are literally standing room only, you can not fit one single chair on them. I am sure the balcony you received fit 2 chairs and a small table so this is considered a full balcony.

k-wa
02-19-2006, 10:27 AM
I think the biggest problem with DVC is that the dues appear to be used to maintain the outside of the property more than the interiors. I seriously doubt a lot of our dues go to Mousekeeping. And it has been reported many times that the BCV in particular is looking shabby inside.

That said, last year the CMs at Saratoga Springs delivered balloons and autographed birthday cards from characters to each of my seven friends for our 30th birthdays. It was so sweet. (I think my mom put on the ressie about our birthday celebration, but the surprise was all the cast members' doing).

We didn't expect it and we were thoroughly charmed.

IMHO,

We should expect clean rooms.
We should contribute to their cleanliness by not trashing them.
And we should never expect a celebration surprise. Just about everyone is celebrating something at Disney.

Oh, and we never have received towel animals on any visit, DVC or rack rate. And I think I'm going to survive. :)

Simba's Mom
02-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Have you ever looked at the BC? There are 2 different balconies there, full balconies and standing room only balconies. These balconies are literally standing room only, you can not fit one single chair on them. I am sure the balcony you received fit 2 chairs and a small table so this is considered a full balcony.
Are these "standing room only" balconies only at the BC? Are there any at the BCV? If so, where? I've never gotten a standing room only balcony at the BCV, and I hope I don't-one of my favorite things to do is sit on my balcony and watch/listen to the goings on while I drink my morning coffee. Kinda hard to do if I had to stand!

snowbunny
02-19-2006, 10:29 AM
And we should never expect a celebration surprise. Just about everyone is celebrating something at Disney.

Oh, and we never have received towel animals on any visit, DVC or rack rate. And I think I'm going to survive. :)

Yup. And I've checked into a Tower room at the Contemporary that hadn't been cleaned.

American Scrapper
02-19-2006, 10:47 AM
I will be staying at the BCV in August with my parents, nefew & family. I sure hope that this does not happen to us. I have made no special requests, but do expect my room to be clean when I arrive.

Our first stay with DVC, we stayed at BWV and the cleaning staff was very presistant about getting into our room on our last day. It was about 9:30 am and they starte knocking on our door. Well when we told them we would be out in about an hour they still pushed. My inlaws had left about the same time (out of the 1 bedroom door). When I heard a noise in the bathroom of the studio room (we had a 2 bedroom lockoff), I thought it was one of my inlaws who forgot something, I went in and found the same cleaning lady in there already starting to clean! I was dumbfounded that she would have the nerve to do such a thing in the first place. I asked her politely to leave because we were not done & told her I would inform her when I was done and she could come back and start. I am sure she was just in a hurry to get the rooms clean, but I did not agree with her just coming in after we told her we were not done. Other than that, the only other problem we had was last year when we arrived our room was not ready (it was 1:00 am), but the reasoning was due to very bad storms in the day and there computers were down all day, so they were not sure of which rooms were available. They put us in a room in the non DVC section for the night & had our room ready for us the next day. They moved our luggage from the first room to our new room so that we were not inconvenienced and returned our points for the first night. Which I thought was a very generous offer as it really was not their fault. That being said, I have learned to never expect anything but a clean room, the others, if received are a nice bonus.

winjos
02-19-2006, 11:04 AM
We went to OKW last September and received our room at noon!! Yippee! Then we entered it.... lots of leftovers (empty bags, food in cupboards, dirty blankets) from the previous guests. :crazy2: Made me question the cleaning of the room and wished I had packed lysol wipes!! Housekeeping came back and spiffed up the joint.

I'm pretty easy going, however, I draw the line at entering a dirty room!! We were happy that the room was "ready" so early, but we were prepared to wait until 4 pm!!

We are one of those families that try and prep the room the best we can when we leave (empty cupboards & frig, strip the beds, bag all the garbage and put together, pile the towels in the bathroom, and try and wipe up all my hair on the floor -- I'm surprised I'm not bald :eek: ). Anything to help out the housekeepers and to get the housekeeping gods to smile down upon us on future visits!!

MickeyCrazed
02-19-2006, 12:12 PM
One thing I should mention - we were given one night at rack rate ($410 total - so less than the pts value for that Saturday night stay) credit for the first room switch debacle as they admitted they screwed up.

I'm sorry, I have to chime in here...
In my opinion, you got $410.00 for simply not getting your room request met at the time of check-in.

Most of us would have been happy that most of our requests were met and moved on. But you wanted a new room, and then weren't happy with the second room, and ended up getting compensated for it.

If that were me... I wouldn't have the nerve to post my complaints on a public forum. See... I had issues with a recent stay, and waited to see if DVC/WDW would respond to those issues before complaining on these boards. They did respond (after over 45 days of waiting) and they were receptive to my issues, so I find no use discussing them further here.

I view what you received as ample compensation for your troubles, and don't see why you had to stir the pot here.

I'm sorry if this written word sounds harsh... I'm really not writing this to be hurtful... I just don't see the benefit of these type of posts.
O.K. I'm putting on my fire proof suit now... :firefight

FLAME AWAY!

wilderness01
02-19-2006, 12:28 PM

:thumbsup2 I totally agree with this post.

The only thing I really expect is a non-smoking room and a clean room. We request non-smoking for medical reasons and would be happy to provide a doctor's written note as to why we need this kind of room. I have never requested anything else on the reservation and am happy as long as those two things are met when I am using my DVC.

katallo
02-19-2006, 12:48 PM
I realize requests are just that and I'm always surprised if we receive them, but I totally agree about cleanliness of a room. We are staying at the BCV for the first time in April and I so hope we have a nice unit. We're renting points and this will almost be a "test" to see if we would like to consider buying.

Last year, we stayed at the WL and on arriving, our room had been cleaned. However, on settling in, we found two run bull cans under the bed and a dirty piece of clothing in the dresser. As someone said, most folks work very hard and look forward to a great vacation so it's difficult to dismiss this. I know things can be overlooked and we called housekeeping who removed the clothing. We didn't mention the cans because we wanted to see if they would be removed the next day. Still there when we checked out on day 7!

Terry S
02-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Are these "standing room only" balconies only at the BC? Are there any at the BCV? If so, where? I've never gotten a standing room only balcony at the BCV, and I hope I don't-one of my favorite things to do is sit on my balcony and watch/listen to the goings on while I drink my morning coffee. Kinda hard to do if I had to stand!

No there are none of these at BCV. But BC and BCV have the same check in desk and this is the biggest request they get there is "full balcony". The full balcony at BC is the same size as the smallest balcony at the BCV. So when they see full balcony as a request to them that means they don't want the standing room only balcony.

CPer'sMom
02-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Gosh, I hope I haven't made a mistake in booking BCV for our Christmas trip next year. We love the Epcot resort area and normally stay at YC or BWI. But this time we'll have 5 adults instead of the usual 4 and decided that it would be nice to have a 2-bdrm villa vs. 2 rooms at one of the deluxes.
I booked through Disney so we aren't renting points.

But now I'm getting concerned about staying at the villas ~~ do most of you really think there is a big problem with the cleanliness there? I admit it, I am very particular when it comes to a hotel room being clean ... I'm not over-the-top picky, but I do expect a clean room. Never have had a problem with any of our deluxe stays (only once have I ever really had issues with a bad room at Disney and that was CSR).

For those of you who stay at YC/BC/BWI and also at the villas, are you just as happy with the villas? Or do you find you really prefer the deluxes overall?
I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that I didn't make a mistake! :confused3

Judique
02-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Wilderness wrote:
snip snip
Again, we travel alot so I know what is a normal expectation and what is not. Again, just my opinion that cleanliness is not an over the top expectation. :worried:[/QUOTE]

We checked into a concierge room at AKL a couple of years ago, and I noticed a brown substance between the folds of the shower curtain. From where I was sitting at the moment, it was obvious to me what it was - no analysis was done and I wasn't going to get any closer. One call, and the curtain was removed and replaced with a fresh one. The rest of the room was spotless (looking), but I had that 'feeling'. I think any discovery of this kind will tend to make someone feel uncomfortable, even when it is taken care of right away. We had an otherwise excellent visit, but I still remember the shower curtain. To the OP - I'm sorry your stay wasn't as magical as you were led to expect. On the other hand, I'm really surprised at the amount of compensation - it doesn't follow with what I've experienced and what I've read as reported. I've heard of meal credits and some points being returned, but never of a credit as large as your report. It makes me think you've underplayed how bad your experience was. Hopefully future visits will be much more pleasant. :)

Beca
02-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Last year, we stayed at the WL and on arriving, our room had been cleaned. However, on settling in, we found two run bull cans under the bed and a dirty piece of clothing in the dresser.

Okay, am I missing something here?? :scratchin I read posts like this all the time, and always think, "Wow....I don't think I've even LOOKED under a DVC bed!" I'm actually kind of surprised they go "thru" and are not walled off on 3 sides.

My question is....why do you look under the bed? Now, I am TOTALLY serious!! Is it for security (to make sure no one is hiding under there), or are there some sort of FL bugs I should be looking out for, or is it just to see if Mousekeeping is doing their job? When I was a FA, we were taught to look under the bed for security reasons, as hotel staff knew which rooms would be occupied by single, young women....but, I have never checked at WDW.

Just curious if there is something I should be looking for?

Beca

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Gosh, I hope I haven't made a mistake in booking BCV for our Christmas trip next year. We love the Epcot resort area and normally stay at YC or BWI. But this time we'll have 5 adults instead of the usual 4 and decided that it would be nice to have a 2-bdrm villa vs. 2 rooms at one of the deluxes.

But now I'm getting concerned about staying at the villas ~~ do most of you really think there is a big problem with the cleanliness there? I admit it, I am very particular when it comes to a hotel room being clean ... I'm not over-the-top picky, but I do expect a clean room. Never have had a problem with any of our deluxe stays (only once have I ever really had issues with a bad room at Disney and that was CSR).

For those of you who stay at YC/BC/BWI and also at the villas, are you just as happy with the villas? Or do you find you really prefer the deluxes overall?
I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that I didn't make a mistake! :confused3

You should be fine - just pack Lysol wipes, wipe everything down that you are worried about, rinse cups/utensils/dishes before using and check the linens to make sure they are clean and if you find anything gross call housekeeping and the front desk. At least that's what we intend to do at any future DVC stays. I posted as I wanted those who had complete faith in Disney housekeeping and the like (which I guess we kind of did and yes, I know now that was silly and naive of me) to be aware so that they could check and cover themselves. Again, you should be fine.

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry, I have to chime in here...
In my opinion, you got $410.00 for simply not getting your room request met at the time of check-in.

Most of us would have been happy that most of our requests were met and moved on. But you wanted a new room, and then weren't happy with the second room, and ended up getting compensated for it.

If that were me... I wouldn't have the nerve to post my complaints on a public forum. See... I had issues with a recent stay, and waited to see if DVC/WDW would respond to those issues before complaining on these boards. They did respond (after over 45 days of waiting) and they were receptive to my issues, so I find no use discussing them further here.

I view what you received as ample compensation for your troubles, and don't see why you had to stir the pot here.

I'm sorry if this written word sounds harsh... I'm really not writing this to be hurtful... I just don't see the benefit of these type of posts.
O.K. I'm putting on my fire proof suit now... :firefight

FLAME AWAY!

No problem - I expected a wide variance in opinion and I am not so egotistical as some as to think my way of thinking should hold true for all.

Sorry if I stirred your pot.

Peace. :)

katallo
Oh my gosh. My husband was simply bending down to get a pair of shoes that had been placed under the bed.

Beca

Yes....you have totally made a mistake!!! I would DEFINITELY book somewhere else!! :rotfl:

Okay, not really!!! You can tell by my "location" that I adore this place!! Relax...you will be fine!!! WDW does not put "better" mousekeepers at other resorts than it does BCV...seriously, this is one of their most famous resorts. At Christmas time, WDW puts ALL the guest emcees of The Candlelight Processional at that hotel. The hotel and the villas are run by the same GM, and the same level of excellence is expected throughout the hotel.

That being said....the views at the Villas are not the breathtaking, Crescent View rooms that the hotel has. The GM of the hotel told me that he didn't know what all the "view fuss" was over...he didn't think any of the Villa rooms had particularly good views. Now, I disagree with him...I think some rooms have GREAT views, but there really are not that many of them.

We were there in December, in a 2bdrm...and, I thought our unit was spotless (of course, I didn't look under the bed ;) ). The other thing I can tell you....Beach Club Villas is the number one most sought after DVC property. It is the only one with an extensive waitlist via DVC, and consistently has the highest resale value on the open market (when you can find contracts). It was Michael Eisner's favorite resort, and the only one where he would stay....it is an amazing resort. You are VERY lucky to have "scored" a 2 bdrm ressie thru CRO...there are not that many of them, and they usually go very quickly to members.

Relax, keep you expectations in the "normal" range (i.e. don't look for special treatment), and you will have an amazing trip!!!

Beca

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Okay, am I missing something here?? :scratchin I read posts like this all the time, and always think, "Wow....I don't think I've even LOOKED under a DVC bed!" I'm actually kind of surprised they go "thru" and are not walled off on 3 sides.

My question is....why do you look under the bed? Now, I am TOTALLY serious!! Is it for security (to make sure no one is hiding under there), or are there some sort of FL bugs I should be looking out for, or is it just to see if Mousekeeping is doing their job? When I was a FA, we were taught to look under the bed for security reasons, as hotel staff knew which rooms would be occupied by single, young women....but, I have never checked at WDW.

Just curious if there is something I should be looking for?

:wave: Beca

When we check to make sure we have all our belongings as part of our family packing/check out procedure part of our room check includes lifiting up the bedspread and such and making sure that the bed is wall-ed off or,if it is not, if anything of ours is underneath the bed. We've almost left behind a few things over the years so we give the room thorough final check. Perhaps that is how this poster made her discovery???

No, I don't think the boogey man is under the bed. ;)

katallo
02-19-2006, 01:33 PM
When we check to make sure we have all our belongings as part of our family packing/check out procedure part of our room check includes lifiting up the bedspread and such and making sure that the bed is wall-ed off or,if it is not, if anything of ours is underneath the bed. We've almost left behind a few things over the years so we give the room thorough final check. Perhaps that is how this poster made her discovery???

Thanks gothmommie! As I posted earlier, we were looking for a pair of shoes!

TDC Nala
02-19-2006, 01:36 PM
I have seen on the boards that the rule of thumb should be to never expect anything free for a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion. Sometimes they'll give you stuff, sometimes they won't. I don't think it's required and it shouldnt' ruin a stay.

I've never had major cleanliness problems at BCV. Worn down furniture, yes. Towel racks coming off walls, yes. Burned-out light bulbs and nonfunctioning TV remotes, yes. But the rooms have been clean. I'm getting so I like OKW much better anyway and only stay at BCV (my home resort) when the location is important (read: food & wine).

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 01:43 PM
I have seen on the boards that the rule of thumb should be to never expect anything free for a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion. Sometimes they'll give you stuff, sometimes they won't. I don't think it's required and it shouldnt' ruin a stay.

Right, understood, agreed. Please see JenD's post on this thread. This is more in line with what I was talking about on the issue.

I understand that some of you may not agree with my feelings on this. That's cool. But I won't change my feelings either. I was cool with nothing being done. I wasn't cool when they STATED they WOULD do something then dropped the ball. That's just poor execution, plain and simple. If I did that at my job it would only fly once maybe and then I'd be fired. But, again, I'm willing to concede that this is JMO and just my experience.

Peace. :goodvibes

Buckalew11
02-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Here I am, seriously thinking of buying into DVC and reading all this and sorta freaking inside...
CMs don't like DVCers?! That thought really bothers me.

If I book a room anywhere and walk in and it looks like it hasn't been cleaned yet, I don't want it. Give me another room, please. If I have to wait then so be it, but I'm not even going all the way in there. I'll back out of the room and head for the desk. Am I wrong to think this way? I just read a thread the other day that Arminnie went to SSR and received 2 dirty DVC rooms!!! What is up with this?

Am you know, I think what others me the most is that I have stayed in WDW value and moderate resorts (but never in a Disney Deluxe) and have had less that very clean rooms more than once. Worse, actually, at the moderate resorts! I just came from POFQ last weekend & saw several things around the room that the maid did not do or catch in her cleaning.

I am beginning to think WDW needs to train thier mousekeeping better!! As a kid, my parents owned a AAA mom and pop's style motel here in TN. I know what goes into cleaning a room. I also know how hard it was for my folks to get people who could actually clean a room properly.

I think what bothers me more is that as I think of it, our other last WDW stays have been at the S/D and our rooms have always been so much cleaner than our Disney rooms! I really hadn't thought of this until I read this thread. Maybe Westin could give some lessons. LOL

When the OP was talking about her "anniversary date" I was thinking DVC must do something for you if you are there on your DVC anniversary LOL, it never occurred to me she meant her wedding anniversary! Yep, I think that expectation is too much. They recognized it last year but not this year. Save the memory!
I was in WDW for my last 2 b-days. Last year had more recognition that this year's (although I still had attention) but so what, I'll save that memory.

Good luck with the letter. I think the dirty room is your valid complaint--the requests probably won't get too much attention.

Beca
02-19-2006, 01:44 PM

Got it, thanks!!! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I needed to know about FL bugs, or other "surprises"!!! ;)

Beca

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Here I am, seriously thinking of buying into DVC and reading all this and sorta freaking inside...
CMs don't like DVCers?! That thought really bothers me.

I wouldn't freak out so much on that. Really. That's just one posters opinion based on conversations they may or may not have had with CMs. CMs probably don't like rude people or people that call them on cutting corners or both. Do they generalize? Probably. But then I would hazard a guess that this stereotyping also reaches to ethnicity, socio-economic status and just about any other category you want to come up with. At least that's what I have heard from a (non-Disney) Concierge. I don't think that my experience would have been improved or worsened if it was not a DVC stay. JMO.

TDC Nala
02-19-2006, 01:51 PM
When the OP was talking about her "anniversary date" I was thinking DVC must do something for you if you are there on your DVC anniversary LOL, it never occurred to me she meant her wedding anniversary! Yep, I think that expectation is too much. They recognized it last year but not this year. Save the memory!

She says, above, that they promised her an anniversary surprise and didn't follow through. I am not clear on whether or not they actually said they would do something or just took the anniversary information at the front desk. I've told the front desk upon checkin that I had a birthday and didn't get anything in the room. That didn't bother me, although I would suggest that if you have kids, you don't tell them that the resort might acknowledge their birthday with free stuff.

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 02:22 PM
She says, above, that they promised her an anniversary surprise and didn't follow through. I am not clear on whether or not they actually said they would do something or just took the anniversary information at the front desk. I've told the front desk upon checkin that I had a birthday and didn't get anything in the room. That didn't bother me, although I would suggest that if you have kids, you don't tell them that the resort might acknowledge their birthday with free stuff.

For clarity - yes, it was noted on the reservation but it was the fact that 3 separate CMs remarked on it - all at the front desk (remember I had occasion to talk to them quite a bit this trip, LOL), 1 in fact saying oooh, we'll have to send a runner over to your room with something special for you. Even going so far as to take 10 min. of my time asking me to spell my name, my husband's name and what # anniversary it was. This happened TWICE.

Was I wrong to get excited like I'm 5? Sure. Did I ask for them to say this - no! Was I disappointed and annoyed when they didn't even follow up with a 'sorry ran out of helium but hope you had a magical day or a go s@#$ in your hat' or some such - yeah, you bet I was. I thought it was really shoddy. It was the fact that it was plainly and frankly offered (without my prompting or needling in any way, just the fact that they read our reservation and saw the note and commented) but not delivered that got me.

Now if it makes me greedy and horrible to be peeved when someone says something so plainly like that but doesn't follow up then I guess I'm just like that. Sorry. And yes, I hold myself to the same high standards of promises (once openly stated) and delivering on them - ask my husband, our daughter, my coworkers, my boss or my subordinates. Well, not that you can but you get the idea. :rotfl2:

To be crystal clear - I did NOT check in expecting a red carpet and roses or even balloons for our anniversary. I did NOT expect the requested room view. I only expected these things when CMs said they would deliver them. Then they became an expectation that they set and as they set it they should have delivered it. That and that only is my point.

And yes, for the room debacle the manager did grant us a credit. She was very specific that this is what the credit was for.

So flame away if you like - again I won't change my opinions but this a great, wide world and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, myself included. :)

I don't think anyone should be 'scared' of the villas but I do think that if you find service or housecleaning that is questionable it should be reported and I do think one should give their room a once over upon check in and make sure you pack some lysol wipes. But, again, that's me.

BCV is still beautiful with a key location, a great pool and great places to dine. So go and have fun....but if something happens, don't just suck it up either. I don't think we should be rude to CMs but I don't think we should sugar coat it so they like us. You can state your concerns without explicatives or making a scene. I was very, very careful to insure that I did not venture there when I talked to the manger. Was my face beet red from restraint? I bet it was. But I behaved myself.

I'm sorry if I frightened anyone or peeved any of you. My point was to share what I considered a shocking experience based upon numerous Disney stays. I had seen other posts from other people on items such as these and I thought I'd have my turn..... Not for the drama but just to let it out and let it go.

Thanks for listening (reading). :)

jade1
02-19-2006, 02:23 PM
I dont about the rest of you, but after reading this I think it IS Jennifer Anniston. :scratchin

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 02:26 PM
I dont about the rest of you, but after reading this I think it IS Jennifer Anniston. :scratchin

I wish! :rotfl2:

Beca
02-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't freak out so much on that. Really. That's just one posters opinion based on conversations they may or may not have had with CMs. CMs probably don't like rude people or people that call them on cutting corners or both. Do they generalize? Probably. But then I would hazard a guess that this stereotyping also reaches to ethnicity, socio-economic status and just about any other category you want to come up with. At least that's what I have heard from a (non-Disney) Concierge. I don't think that my experience would have been improved or worsened if it was not a DVC stay. JMO.

Actually, the thread I was referring to was one started by a DVC CM who joined the dis to tell all of us exactly why CM's hate dealing with us. It was VERY controversial. Other DVC CM's began to post, and say that he/she was "not the norm", and most DVC CM's really enjoy their jobs. However, he/she did have some interesting things to say about how CM's hate working at a resort that was/was attached to a DVC resort, because we are demanding, rude, and think we "own the place". Someone posted later that he ended up getting fired for the post (a diser fwded it to the DVC satisfaction manager), and other CM's who posted in that thread "disappeared" from the dis after that....they all "unregistered" as members. It was very weird. But, I also found it interesting how many DVC'ers posted they had bad experiences with CM's at DVC resorts (BCV in particular). Comments about how we are "cheap", and "bring our belongings in grocery bags", and "are always trying to sneak extra people in the rooms", and other things which are obviously not true.

However, it did make me realize that the actions of just a few members (some which I have seen with my own eyes at BWV and BCV) can really "taint" the image of all of us.

I own 540 points at BCV, and am currently on the waitlist for more. That may not be a lot of money to some people....but, it is a LOT of money for us. I really hope that I can have AMAZING vacations over the next 36 years, and that starts with being treated well by the CM's. I don't want to own at BCV if they "hate" us...on my first stay there, we ran across a REALLY snobby attitude over and over again....and, I am as nice as I can possibly be to the CM's. We have received AMAZING service at both BWV and VWL....but, I have never received AMAZING service at BCV. I have to think that the CM's are "gun shy" of DVC members for some reason. When we were there last May, my daughter went to pin trade with Art (she was three at the time) and she burst into tears during the trade. When my dh came over (I was checking us in), he explained that Art was wearing two lanyards...a green one (for kids), and black one (for anyone). The pin my dd wanted was on his black lanyard, but Art would not allow her to have it. He told her she could only trade off of his green lanyard (which is not true....black lanyard are for anyone). So, my dh took the pin off of my dd's lanyard and traded with Art, and then gave the pin to my dd. It was just silly...kids can trade off of ANY lanyards, and seriously....to make a little girl cry over it!!! :confused3

This is just one example of the treatment we have received at BCV...there have been others. However, we have also received some great treatment there (like when our refrigerator had to be replaced)...super nice!!!

But, I think because BCV is always SOOO full, and members all want that coveted Epcot view, CM's there get tired of the "mess" and have become jaded. Seriously, think about it....it is one of the few pool areas where you have to get a wristband because of "pool crashers", the valet parking is FULL of people who use it to go to Epcot, and people seem to try to break the rules whenever they can. It is a beautiful resort in a prime location, and yet that does not seem to please people. Add to that, the DVC wing stays at almost 100% occupancy, people always want in their rooms early, and many think it is "no big deal" if they are not out by 11. I imagine the daily grind of working at that resort is exhausting. And if the CM who posted last year is correct, turnover at the DVC resorts (except for OKW) is extremely high due to the stress of the job. That could go a long way in explaining why CM's do not seem to be the "best trained" at what they do.

That is why we go out of our way to be nice to EVERY CM we encounter, at BCV or otherwise (although the parking attendants at the parks really push my patience sometimes :headache: ). I worked at an amusement park for 5 years as a teenager, and it is VERY hard work. I appreciate what the CM's do, and try to find ways to let them know that (even bringing them "treats" from the park). They are a part of the magic, an can add to our trip in so many ways. And, even after Art made my dd cry, we thanked him (and, this was not the first time he has been grumpy with us). I explained to my dd that he must not have been feeling well that day, and maybe we should try harder to cheer him up next time (she said, "And pray for him, Mommy!"). :goodvibes

I guess....bottom line...we realize that WE are a part of creating the magic at WDW, and we are directly responsible for how much/little magic we have. We have found that even the CM who was grumpiest to us when we first arrived, is laughing with us by the time we leave. My dh talks to the bellhops, and by the end of our trip always seem to call my dd by name when they see her...it's great!! Bottom line, I do think you get back what you put out into the world....and, I think that we DVC members are responsible for the way CM's view us.

It's just my opinion....

Beca

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 03:04 PM
When we were there last May, my daughter went to pin trade with Art (she was three at the time) and she burst into tears during the trade. When my dh came over (I was checking us in), he explained that Art was wearing two lanyards...a green one (for kids), and black one (for anyone). The pin my dd wanted was on his black lanyard, but Art would not allow her to have it. He told her she could only trade off of his green lanyard (which is not true....black lanyard are for anyone). So, my dh took the pin off of my dd's lanyard and traded with Art, and then gave the pin to my dd. It was just silly...kids can trade off of ANY lanyards, and seriously....to make a little girl cry over it!!! :confused3

Wow! If I am reading this/understanding this correctly, that's really horrible. Sorry you experienced this - your poor daughter! :goodvibes Now I'm glad we never approached Art for trading....we kind of got that vibe from him. Nice to wave to though.

Sammie
02-19-2006, 03:05 PM
It is very possible with the room changes, someone else got your anniversary surprise, it happens all the time.

The only thing that really surprises me is the money refund, I don't think I have ever heard of that happening with a points stay. I would much rather have that then 2 helium balloons and a photo of Mickey and Minnie. :thumbsup2

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 03:12 PM
It is very possible with the room changes, someone else got your anniversary surprise, it happens all the time.

The only thing that really surprises me is the money refund, I don't think I have ever heard of that happening with a points stay. I would much rather have that then 2 helium balloons and a photo of Mickey and Minnie. :thumbsup2

Again, this was to address the room debacle. The manager was quite clear on that. Not the dirty room. Not the (later) anniversary thing. Yes, we were very surprised, in fact I know my jaw dropped. She was thanked and I have commented on her handling of that to guest relations in a complementary way.

Point, again, is that after that screw up they dropped the ball yet again of their doing. Which is why I was even more annoyed then I normally would have been.

I could sum it up in one sentence - People don't promise or state anything unless you are darn sure you intend to execute.

But yes, as you say, perhaps they sent whatever to the wrong room.

Beca
02-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Wow! If I am reading this/understanding this correctly, that's really horrible. Sorry you experienced this - your poor daughter! :goodvibes Now I'm glad we never approached Art for trading....we kind of got that vibe from him. Nice to wave to though.

ITA....especially since I think Art is just a darling symbol of BCV. But, you know...she got over it, and we did too. We'll just keep trying to see if we can catch him "not grumpy".

Beca

Judique
02-19-2006, 04:15 PM
ITA....especially since I think Art is just a darling symbol of BCV. But, you know...she got over it, and we did too. We'll just keep trying to see if we can catch him "not grumpy".

Beca

You have a great attitude! I hope someone reads this and Art gets clued in...nicely of course!

bobbiwoz
02-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Re. gifts being delivered to the wrong room.

Our DS and DDil were supposed to be in the cabin next to us on a European cruise, but a member of her family got very ill and they stayed behind. On our first day out, we noticed room service going to the next door with a tray of what looked like chocolate covered strawberries. Now, this was our surprise to our family, but they were not there, someone else was in the room now.

Well, we went to management and cleared the whole thing up. We got a credit for all of the gifts, one each day were supposed to be delivere!d!!

Someone else very well could have gotten the gift meant for you.

Bobbi :)

NMW
02-19-2006, 06:32 PM
This is a perfect example of why when given our room location, I never say...but don't you have anything on this floor/with this view/etc. The only thing that I would complain about is if I got to our room and it was really dirty, or a smoking room. In fact, non-smoking for medical reasons is the only request we make. This is not just DVC stays, but at ANY resort we have ever stayed at in Disney. Now obviously, if we had paid for lagoon view at the POLY and been given garden view, I would be upset. DVC is different-there are no gaurantees, just requests, it says so right on your confirmation letter. Plus, it would never be worth it for our family to stay in one room one night, and them move the next day just for a VIEW!

You might be annoyed that I'm saying this, but maybe you didn't get anything for your anniversary because the CM's and managers were annoyed by your "storming down to see them." Or, as others have suggested maybe your anniversary item was sent to one of the many rooms that had been assigned to you. The thread that Beca mentioned was controversial, but I hope it made some DVC members realize that they really don't "own the place", maybe that's why DVC changed it's slogan from "own a peice of the magic" to "members are magical"?? Sorry if what I've written bothers you (really), it's just my opinion.

patsal
02-19-2006, 06:42 PM
It will have been two years in July since I have stayed at BCV. I found the place unacceptably filthy, the manager and the staff that I encountered to be unhelpful at best. I sent a letter, it took six months for a reply and I still am afraid to go there again. I had been hearing pretty good things lately and was hoping to consider it for 2007, but I'm guessing I might just forget about it altogether.

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 06:52 PM
This is a perfect example of why when given our room location, I never say...but don't you have anything on this floor/with this view/etc. The only thing that I would complain about is if I got to our room and it was really dirty, or a smoking room. In fact, non-smoking for medical reasons is the only request we make. This is not just DVC stays, but at ANY resort we have ever stayed at in Disney. Now obviously, if we had paid for lagoon view at the POLY and been given garden view, I would be upset. DVC is different-there are no gaurantees, just requests, it says so right on your confirmation letter. Plus, it would never be worth it for our family to stay in one room one night, and them move the next day just for a VIEW!

You might be annoyed that I'm saying this, but maybe you didn't get anything for your anniversary because the CM's and managers were annoyed by your "storming down to see them." Or, as others have suggested maybe your anniversary item was sent to one of the many rooms that had been assigned to you. The thread that Beca mentioned was controversial, but I hope it made some DVC members realize that they really don't "own the place", maybe that's why DVC changed it's slogan from "own a peice of the magic" to "members are magical"?? Sorry if what I've written bothers you (really), it's just my opinion.

That's cool. But I think you're thinking that I want them to kiss my a$$ and I don't. I just want that if they say they will do something they do it. Otherwise keep your mouth shut as it's better for all. And no I'm not talking the original room REQUEST. As I explained ad nauseum I knew that was a request. Further, you'll see that I noted that I 'behaved myself' when I asked to speak to the manager. I may have stormed over but I politely asked to speak to the manager alone as I was very upset and did not want to make a scene.

Sorry if it annoys people that I expect them to do their job then I'll be that chigger up their a$$ indefinitely. Don't state you'll deliver if you won't. Please read carefully. The 'request' became a 'promise' and I expected them to make good on that - or call me that they couldn't so I could stay put. Really the fault was all their's and the manager was very embarrassed and said so. Hence the credit. When they messed up again - if I was the manager of that staff we'd be having quite the re-educating staff meeting. And yes, I manage staff and deal with Clients and yes, my staff knows what is expected of them and they get praised for high performance and re-educated for less than satisfactory performance and my Clients even the high-maintenance ones are (currently) very satisfied. So yes, it can be done - as long as you manage expectations appropriately.

Oh, yes - I want a clean and tidy room too please.

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 07:04 PM

Beca

OK, I give up - what does ITA stand for???? :confused3

Sammie
02-19-2006, 07:28 PM
OK, I give up - what does ITA stand for???? :confused3

ITA= I Totally Agree, however in this case I don't because I been going to the Beach Club since it opened and never witnessed Art being grumpy.

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 07:30 PM
ITA= I Totally Agree, however in this case I don't because I been going to the Beach Club since it opened and never witnessed Art being grumpy.

Duh! Thank you! :teeth:

Daitcher
02-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Okay....I'm not sure where to begin on this one. I will be the 1st to admit that the policies of "room requests" at BCV are probably the worst in DVC's system. I spoke to the GM about this at the owner's meeting, and he didn't seem concerned about what views owners get...it was disappointing. And, Kudos to you for being willing to move to get your views. However, it seems to me that you may have just had too many requests to get them all met. Because of the architecture at BCV, some rooms have full balconies, and some do not...I seriously doubt that it is in BCV's system as to which rooms do/do not.

I RARELY get my request of views at BCV, and have never been compensated for not getting them....which, IMO is what happened in your case. I cannot even imagine how "ugly" this scene had to get for you to be offered that. In your own words, you "Storm(ed) off to the manager". I cannot imagine it was pretty, and you probably added to the disdainful view that some CM's have for DVC members.

And finally.....Congrats on your anniversary...I hope it was wonderful!!! However, being mad because someone outside your marriage does not recognize it, or even wish you "Happy Anniversary" is silly. Maybe I come from the "other" end of the spectrum....but, I would be SHOCKED if someone (besides my dh) made mention of my anniversary. People visit WDW for "special occasions" all the time....it would be REALLY tough for them to remember everyone's "special" times.

I love my BCV's SOOOO much!! But, the truth is....service there can be VERY spotty. I know CM's get SOOO tired of people requesting Epcot views (that now you can no longer request them). And, most CM's HATE having DVC members in the resort....they feel we are demanding, high-maintenance, and think we "own" the resort. I know this was your first trip home as an owner....and, as a fellow owner, I am deeply saddened by the demands that you made on the resort (switching rooms 2 times which caused the rooms to be cleaned at all of our expense) for you to get your desired view.

I feel so badly for you that you had to change rooms two times....but, really all three rooms were acceptable (once the first room was cleaned), barring the fact that they did not meet your "requests". We would've just written it off as "the luck of the draw", and enjoyed our vacation.

But then, I wouldn't have even noticed that no one was saying, "Happy Anniversary" to me.

Maybe you would do better to own a timeshare where you actually own a particular unit. That way, you could be "guaranteed" your view, and would not have to "storm down to the manager", and get compensated for a free night to get it.

I think you made out pretty well in this situation.

Beca

You shouldn't need a flame suit for that post. Belive me my hair is singed from the flames I've taken on here. Most were deserved :) but some were for calling it like it is. Your post is right on the money here. I cringe when I see the "where's the manager" people at the check in desk. It is getting where I'm embarrased to say I'm a DVC member. I wouldn't want to be guilty by association. We are on vacation, relax, enjoy and move on. I recently had an issue at BCV and I tried to remedy it through maintenance. It didn't work so I went about enjoying our trip. I simply followed up with comments when I returned home and a post on here. ( a powerful tool by the way).

DAVE

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 08:23 PM
OK, I gotta say it. Does anyone detect a condescending and holier than thou attitude from the old-timers who are embarrassed by other DVC members?

Please give it a rest!

You know what they say the truly wise man doesn't need to tell anyone how wise he is. The same goes for the truly GOOD person.

Perhaps that was not the intent if so please know that some of you are coming off that way and I am embarrassed for you (so right back at ya! :) ).

DrTomorrow
02-19-2006, 08:37 PM
OK, I gotta say it. Does anyone detect a condescending and holier than thou attitude from the old-timers who are embarrassed by other DVC members?

Please give it a rest!

You know what they say the truly wise man doesn't need to tell anyone how wise he is. The same goes for the truly GOOD person.

[...] And, I might suggest, the same goes for someone who manages well-trained subordinates :confused3 :rotfl2:

Sorry, I'm with Beca on the "shared responsibilty for creating the magic" pixiedust: and dear ol' Daitcher with "relax and enjoy". There're two key lessons to be learned: the management of expectations, and the ability to take what life dishes out and be happy anyway! :hippie: Like my late father used to say; "I used to complain 'cause I had no shoes, 'til I met a man who had no feet." But far be it from me to prevent anyone from getting indignant, so go for it! :cheer2:

IMHO - YMMV - Be well!

gothmommie
02-19-2006, 08:43 PM
And, I might suggest, the same goes for someone who manages well-trained subordinates :confused3 :rotfl2:

Sorry, I'm with Beca on the "shared responsibilty for creating the magic" pixiedust: and dear ol' Daitcher with "relax and enjoy". There're two key lessons to be learned: the management of expectations, and the ability to take what life dishes out and be happy anyway! :hippie: Like my late father used to say; "I used to complain 'cause I had no shoes, 'til I met a man who had no feet." But far be it from me to prevent anyone from getting indignant, so go for it! :cheer2:

IMHO - YMMV - Be well!

Okey dokey thread over please.

I don't like you, you don't like me. At least Becca and Dave were nice. The icons were a tad over the top and I hope karma rewards you abundantly. We may stay in the same resorts but that's about it. See you around - and if I post another thread PLEASE spare us both and don't reply.

Beca
02-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Okey dokey thread over please.

I don't like you, you don't like me. At least Becca and Dave were nice. The icons were a tad over the top and I hope karma rewards you abundantly. We may stay in the same resorts but that's about it. See you around - and if I post another thread PLEASE spare us both and don't reply.

Seriously, gothmommie....I know Dr Tomorrow (he and I have certainly had our share of disagreements in the past ::yes:: ), but I don't think he meant to be offensive at all....that's his way of making "light" of the situation.

I sincerely apologize for "losing it" last night...you seem to be a VERY nice person, and I hope to get to know you better around here. I'm sure we will disagree MANY more times, and will probably agree lots as well. I'm also sorry if we seem "condescending"....we all just take our DVC a little personally here.

Please don't be too angry with us, and DrTomorrow especially....we are VERY happy your here, and that you are a DVC member...and, we'd like to see you post here more often!!!

:hug:

Beca

Sammie
02-19-2006, 11:05 PM

Please give it a rest!

Perhaps that was not the intent if so please know that some of you are coming off that way and I am embarrassed for you (so right back at ya! :) ).

Not really, more of been there done that, know the drill. Hopefully you will not judge the entire forum by one posting. Sometimes it is simply a matter of learning the rules of the house.

The housekeeping issues you experienced were not acceptable by any standards and I have not experienced them at any Disney resort DVC or nonDVC. We have had minor issues, which a phone call to Housekeeping resolved. End of that problem.

I think what you might have preceived as condescending is the fact that the "old timers" realize that if getting requests, Welcome Homes, and even verbally spoken, but not delivered anniversary items bothers you, you might not be happy with DVC.

Requests as stated by Beca are probably not high on any GMs list. They are doing good to get everyone in a room. Multiple requests, basically anything over one, will be viewed by many here as being needy. Not saying you are wrong just explaining how things work. ;) As to the balcony situation. At the BC/BCV in my opinion and probably the opinion of the Front Desk if you got a balcony with chairs on it, you got a full balcony hence the confusion on that. Some baloncies are not even big enough for chairs. I would consider every balcony at the villas a full balcony.

I will say if something bothers me enough to share it on a forum, I would deal with it while I was there, including the annv. situation. It truly might have ended up in some other room and now you will not know if they ignored you or it was a human error.

Hopefully your future DVC visits will be more to satisfaction but I would advise that you familarize yourself with the product before hand.

And if you are going to hang here, don't run away due to anyone disagreeing with you, that's no fun. :thumbsup2

Terry S
02-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Beca... I am so sorry to hear about your and your daughters bad experience with Art... My childern absolutely adore Art and are disappointed if they don't get their "Sir" and "Madame" solutes when they enter BC. (If he is not there). We have pictures with our kids and Art and he was in tears when they brought a picture back of the 3 of them on our next trip and gave it to him. Don't get me wrong, I beleive you, but it just sounds like a completely different person than the one we have met at BC. I hope you give Art another try and he comes through for you!

Beca
02-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Beca... I am so sorry to hear about your and your daughters bad experience with Art... My childern absolutely adore Art and are disappointed if they don't get their "Sir" and "Madame" solutes when they enter BC. (If he is not there). We have pictures with our kids and Art and he was in tears when they brought a picture back of the 3 of them on our next trip and gave it to him. Don't get me wrong, I beleive you, but it just sounds like a completely different person than the one we have met at BC. I hope you give Art another try and he comes through for you!

Thank you!! I certainly will keep trying with him. We have even thought of bringing him something next time to "cheer him up". We have had two encounters with him, and both trips he has been "less than magical". Someone mentioned that he had been having a lot of health problems lately...my dh and I just "assume" that is what is going on. I still think he is just adorable, and hope that, at some point, we can make a "magical memory with him." We're not giving up!!! ;)

Beca

wilderness01
02-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Beca wrote:

I certainly will keep trying with him. We have even thought of bringing him something next time to "cheer him up". We have had two encounters with him, and both trips he has been "less than magical". Someone mentioned that he had been having a lot of health problems lately...my dh and I just "assume" that is what is going on. I still think he is just adorable, and hope that, at some point, we can make a "magical memory with him." We're not giving up!!!

You are very kind hearted. But this is something I guess I just don't get. I would be less than happy if someone made my child cry and I saw it with my own eyes, i.e. my child didn't perceive it wrong. Why keep on trying? I am not being snotty, I am just asking. I am very sorry if he is having health problems, but we have too and it gives no one cart blache to treat anyone poorly. If I treated anyone poorly at work I would not be getting anything to "cheer me up" except a big fat write up to go in my file. Is it because it is Disney and maybe reminds you of your childhood? Or it because it was Walt's dream and he did seem so endearing? I bet my bottom dollar that he would be less than pleased to see a grown man make a child cry. Shame on Art, no matter what his health condition. You are a far better person than I, because there is no way I would keep on trying with someone or bring them anything to cheer them up if they had treated myself or family badly on not one but two occasions. What is that saying? First time shame on him, second time shame on me. He is paid to do his job and if he doesn't want to or can't, then he shouldn't. It doesn't take too much to be polite and the pins around his neck are given to him to trade. I bet his bosses would be less than pleased.

Beca wrote:

I still think he is just adorable, and hope that, at some point, we can make a "magical memory with him." We're not giving up!!!

Again I am clueless about this. Maybe I am not that nice but why is he adorable? Because he wears a sailor uniform? His behavior with your family was not adorable at all. I wonder how many other people he has offended or children he has made cry? That is deplorable behavior not adorable behavior and again he should be ashamed of himself. It is his job to be nice to people, pose for pictures and trade pins. Yes, does it maybe get to him day in and day out? But so do alot of our jobs. It is part of being professional. If he doesn't like his job then perhaps he should leave and have someone else take over for him that will enjoy their work. :confused3

Beca
02-20-2006, 10:28 AM
wilderness01...Of course, my initial reaction was to want to go over to the person who made my dd cry right when we got to WDW!!! As a mom, my "protective" feathers were very much ruffled. I still do not think what happened was right, but I did not see the exchange, and only heard about it from a crying three year old.

However, there are probably a myriad of reasons why I refuse to see Art badly. I am sure my "childhood" memories, and my belief in what Walt was doing, and why he was doing it play some part in the choices I make regarding WDW. But, I think the biggest reasons are, first...I cannot change Art (and, I wouldn't want to if I could), but we will surely encounter him on every trip (at least for the next few years)....usually when we check-in. When my dh brought my dd over to me, I had a choice....I could get really mad, go confront him, and have our trip start off in a VERY "less than magical" way, or I could smile, explain to my dd that crying over this was silly, that she got the pin she wanted, and everything was fine (honestly, three year old girls cry a lot). We were at Beach Club, she was going to get go swimming, and later we would go eat with Cinderella. She said to me, "Mommy, he is a mean man." Again, here I had a choice....I could say, "Absolutely, and he had no right to make you cry." Or, I could say, "No baby, he's not mean....he has just lived a very long time, and has to stand all day. I think he must be tired or does not feel well. I'm sure he didn't mean to make you cry....I bet he's some little girl's Papa, just like you have a Papa...and, I bet he LOVES getting hugs from her, just like your Papa loves getting hugs from you. Maybe we should bring him something next time to make him feel better." (I don't remember EXACTLY what I said...but, it was something along those lines.) Now, if I immediately went to management and complained about him....I'd be lying to my dd (not to mention, taking time out of my vacation to "complain").

Now, why would I do this? Because we are going to see him pretty frequently over the next few years. If I can make my dd see him as someone who adds to the magic, rather than someone she tries to avoid...isn't that a better situation for everyone?

Also, because she is so blessed to grow up in an upper-middle class lifestyle, she gets SOOOO much. She is the only grandchild on my dh's family, and the only girl on mine. She has our entire families wrapped around her finger. We live in an affluent area, and all of her friends come from affluent families as well (she goes to a very expensive private school...so, all the kids she knows come from $$$). Yet, my dh and I came from VERY poor families...we have just been very blessed. It is important to us, that even though we give her a lot, that she treat EVERYONE with respect. We really have to watch her, or that "princess" attitude definitely sneaks in. Was she mad at Art? Sure. Why....not because he was "mean" to her, but because he didn't let her trade the pin she wanted. Now granted....she was right, and he was wrong. But, either way, he is her elder, and deserves her respect...if he says "No"...she needs to accept that, and go on. Crying to mom because she did not get her way is not something I do not want to get the habit of "fixing" for her. As her mom, of course I think Art was wrong for not apologizing for making her cry, and trying to make amends to an upset three-year old...but, maybe he feels he did by trading with my dh. When you look at the situation from Art's point of view, maybe he saw her crying as "another spoiled child" wanting her way. I don't know....I wasn't there, I was checking us in. But, if she cannot pin trade by a cast member's rules (even if they are wrong) and be courteous to the cast member while she is trading...maybe she is not old enough to trade.

So, rather than reprimand her, or reprimand him....I figured we would make light of the situation, and try to encourage her to "befriend" him so that her hard feelings do not linger everytime she sees him. She loves it when we "make" things to give to people, and I thought making "treats" to give to some of the CM's that we see frequently would be a good activity to get her excited as we get ready to go on our next trip. She has actually been talking about what we can make to "Cheer Papa Art up", and she has actually prayed for him to feel better. I think that is MUCH more healthy than worrying about whether or not she will see the "mean man" when we go back. And, maybe it will "spread a little magic" to someone who has found himself in a position to work long hours standing on his feet at an age when most of us would rather not be working. I DO feel for him. Maybe because my grandparents died when I was young, or maybe because I have worked jobs (in amusement parks) when I had to stand all day....and I was a teenager. It's hard work, and he's got to be in his 70's. Bottom line, he is my elder, too. And, the respect I show him is giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think my approach is the best approach for everyone, and maybe my approach is flat out wrong....but, God entrusted this little child to me, and I have got to teach her the lessons about life that represent my values. Trying to understand why someone may be grumpy, and look for the good in them anyway is something I believe in....especially when they are at her favorite place on Earth.

Beca

Scratch42
02-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Beca ~ Hugs to your DD!

My first encounter with Art was less than Magical! At first I did not think it was him but after seeing his pic here, I knew it was!

Being an Adult I did not let it spoil my time but to a 3 year old! That could shatter their world!

But you are right, not worth making a big deal out of it 'cause we all are going back there!

My Motto ~ Kill them with kindness!

janet

CPer'sMom
02-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Beca wrote ..... It is important to us, that even though we give her a lot, that she treat EVERYONE with respect....

In reading your entire post, this was the sentence that stood out to me ~~~
Good for you :-) I just wish that more parents instilled this in their children.

wilderness01
02-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Ok Beca, that was a very thorough explanation and you seem like a very good person with a very big heart. I honestly mean that. I too would have never gone over and made a scene or went up to management. I wouldn't do that on vacation or not on vacation. Altercations like that aren't my style and not worth setting the tone of my day/vacation. But I guess I would not bring my kids by there again. Is that avoiding? Maybe? Is that protecting them? Yes. That is just how I am (and I am not implying that you are not). It was not one but two occasions that you stated that he was rude. Can he be burned out? Maybe. Then should he quit? Probably. Is that his business and none of mine? Yes. But my vacation and the impact on my kids is also my business and none of his. I do try with people, but being rude on two occasions is enough for me. Maybe that isn't christian enough, but neither is his attitude. I do applaud you for trying and having a very positive attitude. I too live in an affluent area and my kids do too go to a private school with lots of affluent families. Really, they want for nothing but I guarantee you if they acted like that they would want for everything as their privledges would be taken away along with their material things. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China though? You shouldn't feel guilty about living a good life or make excuses for others bad behavior. Is it because you grew up poor? Who knows how Art has lived his life. So maybe he didn't live the "good" life, but maybe he did and he is just an old crab who still wants to work. Who knows? However, no matter what his financial business is, it is for no one to pass any judgement on anyone else or think of them as "another spoiled child". Not even a Disney employee. If it weren't for all these "spoiled children/adults" perhaps he wouldn't have a job. I get all the magic, really I do. Everytime I go there, I relive my childhood as we went to DL often. I just do not get where anyone can treat another person poorly and think it is ok. It is not. I bet Walt Disney would agree. Your daughter is only 3, do you think she will remember this in the years to come? I hope it works out for you and you get your magical moment with him. Maybe the lesson she will remember, to always be nice to another person, no matter what. But I assure you that is a double edged sword. I am sure it is more important to you, as it would be to me as a mom, than it is to him. Instead of hoping for the best, why don't you just kindly go up and ask if he can be nice. I am not being aggressive, just honest. Maybe you can explain that you are sure he didn't mean it, but he has hurt your child's feelings and can he be nice to make her feel better. Maybe he will get it then. Maybe then that will spear another family who feelings may get hurt. It sounds like you truly have a kind spirit, and maybe he just does not or it is burned out. Whatever the case, respect goes both ways. Not just to the elders, but to everyone, no matter what the age. I just can't treat my kids anyway I want because I am the adult. In the future, even though they are young now, that will come back to bite me if I hadn't treated them well and it should. That was my only point. That respect goes both ways. Believe me, I work in a very repeatative job but the patients that come in, this is their special moment. Whether it is their first time or fifth time. I treat each patient with the kind of respect I would want to be treated with. I have as much enthusiam as they do and really enjoy watching their joy and being a part of it. Do I feel like it some days? Probably not, as I am only human. But would I ever make someone cry or have a bad attitude? Never. My boss would make sure of that even if I couldn't check myself by myself. Patient satisfaction is number 1 where I work and the patient is always right, even if I don't think so or don't want to act like that. You are teaching her the right thing, as I have taught my kids. However as they get older you will see that you also have to teach them to have respect for themselves and not let people walk all over them. It is a very hard lesson as for as long as my kids have been alive I have taught them to always "be nice". Well that lesson has just biten me in the backside as I have now found out that I have taught one of my kids to be so "nice"/passive that the child has been allowing someone else to hit/be mean just so that there are no feelings hurt. This also landed my kid in the hospital for a day because the other kid hurt him. So now I look back on my always "give someone the benefit of the doubt/be nice", etc. and question myself. You will see when she gets older that it is a very delicate balancing act in what we teach. I haven't figured it out, and probably won't. But now, I am more protective and teach them if someone is not being nice to just walk away. Am I bitter? No. I am just more realistic now that some people are just mean or crabs and it is truly their burden in life to carry. Will this affect how I generally treat people? No. But if burned twice now I just know to walk away and know it is not my problem to fix, but theirs.

Thanks for your explanation. Have a nice day. :goodvibes

Scotch
02-20-2006, 01:10 PM
gothmommie,

I just want to address your complaint about the poor (or absent) housekeeping. As a BCV owner, I am dismayed to read about your experience. I know mistakes happen but I still HATE reading about housekeeping problems at my resorts on these boards, particularly for BCV because we love it so much.

For those planning a first time future visit, keep in mind that for every post about a housekeeping problem there are dozens of posts from DIS members who had no problems and there are lots of people who would never post about positive experiences and only post about negatives (which is normal). I, too, worried about our first visit to BCV last December after reading about other member's bad experiences. We had a nice CM check us in and our room was perfect -- clean and lovely. We even got close to the location we wanted (which was somewhere away from Epcot side). And it was a busy time as the resort was near or at full occupancy. So don't stress!

Johnnie Fedora
02-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Beca,
We have seen the two lanyard thing with a couple of cast members at WDW. The rationale is to have a lanyard that is for "kid trading only". That way, adults can not trade for pins from that lanyard. It is so kids are able to collect some of the more desirable pins w/o some adult (i.e. professional pin trader) swooping up all the rare or more collectable pins. Not making excuses for Art, but even WDW CM pin trading probably had to many rules for employees to keep straght. Art should have just done the trade with a 3 yo no matter what (or what he thought) the pin lanyard rules were.

I think one of your original comments is the most appropriate for your daughters disappointment. "little girls cry a lot". I probably would have made that same assessment of the situation. I would have been a little annoyed that for future reference, I'd have to commit another stupid Disney rule to memory.

Sammie
02-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I am sorry but I must ask this, and I mean no disrespect.

I still do not think what happened was right, but I did not see the exchange, and only heard about it from a crying three year old.

How do you know what happened, or did I misunderstand this statement that you did not witness what happened. Did another adult witness this? Surely your 3 year old did not have an unpleasant encounter with Art and no one saw it? Was she trading with him alone?

I am confused about what happened. :confused3

SamiL
02-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Beca, I think what you're teaching your daughter is great. I hope I'm like that when DH and I have children one day.
Thanks!
Sam :)

Beca
02-20-2006, 02:48 PM
I am sorry but I must ask this, and I mean no disrespect.

How do you know what happened, or did I misunderstand this statement that you did not witness what happened. Did another adult witness this? Surely your 3 year old did not have an unpleasant encounter with Art and no one saw it? Was she trading with him alone?

I am confused about what happened. :confused3

No, my dh was with her. However, when he carried her over to me crying, our rule is that she needs to calm down and tell me what she is crying about. She is the one that told me, and when I looked at my dh, he just shrugged his shoulders.

Thanks for all the support from everyone here...raising kids is really hard....sometimes, it just seems like a crap shoot!!!

Beca

J and R's mom
02-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi gothmommie,

My expectations are along the same lines as yours.

Regarding your first room: That was just unacceptable. Plus, it should not have taken so long to get someone over to clean it. You were well past the 4:00pm check-in time, so expecting a clean room is not unreasonable--on anyone's radar, I'm sure.

Regarding the offer to get you a room more in-line with your requests: You didn't ask for that nice offer, but it WAS offered to you none-the-less. You happily accepted. They didn't follow through on their offer (even the manager agreed on that). That's disappointing. I would have been disappointed as well. Especially coming off of an uncleaned room the day before. Yes, the $410 refund for 53 points was a nice gesture (although not quite an apples-to-apples refund). But even that cannot completely make up for the inconvience of having to deal with everything (uncleaned room, dirty diapers, stranger's unclean underwear, multiple trips to the front desk, moving luggage, etc).

Regarding the anniversary surprise: Again, you didn't ask for one, but CMs made it SOUND as if they were going to do that for you guys. Not receiving anything would have be disappointing. Especially given the other two previous mess-ups.

I can be flexible when some of my requests aren't met, as I'm sure you can be. But if I'd been planning a trip (especially one that fell during my anniversary), I'd want things to go very smoothly. If I had experienced all of the frustrations that you did on your trip, I, too, would have been VERY DISAPPOINTED.

I'm sure you still had a mostly pleasant and fun trip, but you were just wanting to vent about the parts that weren't so magical. Although venting on these boards can sometimes be torture, I, for one, understand where you're coming from and understand perfectly why this was frustrating and upsetting for you.

Here's to hoping your future visits bring cleaned rooms and fulfilled promises.

yitbos96bb
02-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks - posted there.

To be clear:

1) Expected view as we were willing to move for the view we wanted. View was not delivered. Resort amended by refunding rack rate (sans tax) for night. Not pts - which would have been 56 points.

2) Were disappointed that not even a happy anniversary was said as three separate cast members looked at our reservation, asked my husband's name, my name and our anniversary date and number. One even went so far as to say they send a runner over 'with a surprise'. So yes, you don't expect....until your expectations are set by the person who promises to deliver something. Then when they don't...well that's a different story. In my book anyway. Guess the thing is...promise nothing, say nothing unless you intend to execute in a timely and quality fashion. A Disney resort of all places should know this. At least IMO.

Understand the disappointment about your anniversary, but since when is DISNEY OBLIGATED to do stuff for your anniversary for free. Yes it is great when they do, and I respect the heck out of it... but to feel you are entitled to it because it happened the year before seems a little much. I got comped in a casino for dinner once, shoudl I expect everytime I am in there. With your plethora of room changes, the date probably got side tracked (it would be ironic if Balloons got sent to your first room).

As far as the dirty underwear thing... Yes that is gross and wrong and THAT is good reason to be ticked off.

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 09:49 AM
I just got back from BCV last night and will be canceling my waitlist for points there as well as selling my VWL points. It was an absolute disgrace. Anyone who can give me some names to direct my letter to, I would appreciate it.
I am a compulsive researcher and planner. I planned this trip a year ago for my DD and DSIL's anniversery and my younger daughters college graduation. I booked two one bedrooms, requesting only they be near one another and NON SMOKING. I have asthma as does my DGD, age 9.
I too asked the CM to note on my DD's reservation that it was their anniversery. I did not mention the graduation. I told them if they get not so much as a nod, that's fine but note it please. At check in my CM did not give me the packet I had to ask for it. I also discovered my DD had been given her key, went back and my room keys were on the printer. The CM had forgotten to give us those too. We were not given room numbers but told to come back for them. We were all paying for the dining plan. We went to grab a sandwich at Beaches and Cream. After that and checking out the pool our rooms were ready. I went to my daughters first to see if there was anything special. There was not but the room was beautiful with a quiet pool/river view. I was so excited and couldn't wait to get to mine! When I walked in I knew something was less eye catching but called immediately for my luggage so we could get to the parks. I threw off my shoes and found the rug was soaking wet. Not damp, soaking wet. I called the desk and nothing else was available. Then, yes, gasp, I asked for a manager. Nothing on that floor near my grandchildren. I finally asked if she could move us both. No nothing suitable. We finally agreed to leave my belongings in my daughters, vacate the room for a few hours and she gave me a credit.
To make a long long story short when I returned this is what I discovered.

The room was a handicap ready room. Great modifications if you are in a wheelchair, otherwise inferior, No counter, no private toilet, low beds and counters etc.
A shower that flooded the bathroom when you used it. Four phone calls later engineering was sent up and changed the shower head. That wasn't the problem. It still isn't fixed. We went out, come back and I discover my balcony doors wide open. They were broken also. It went on and on. I can't tell you how many calls I had to make, how much time I spent waiting for repairs to be made, calls returned etc etc. I have heard it said that members get the worst rooms because we have already made our purchase. I now believe it. This room was uninhabitable and should not have been given to anyone. The idea a Member got it tells me something and I don't like the message. It was also a smoking room. I was coughing for three days and thought it was the mildew smell outside of the entrance to the Villa's. I looked and saw it was a SMOKING room! I was told I could have another room the next day but would need to check out at 11 and await it being ready at 4. Delux? I think not! Points for sale!

PS Caution Beaches and Cream is a table service restaurant! We wasted our credits there on sandwiches! (our fault for assuming)

PS The credit was small not for a night by no means!

jade1
08-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Bummer, our 2BR was close to perfect (as usual there for us) 3 weeks ago.

bicker
08-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I threw off my shoes and found the rug was soaking wet. Not damp, soaking wet.I'm sorry you had this disappointing experience. Unfortunately, such things happen on occasion. There isn't a timeshare or comparable hotel that operates with such perfection that they never end up with a water leak problem eventually. In such cases, it is unusual for there to be no other rooms available that conform with a guest's special requests. Sometimes, there isn't even a room available at the same grade level. In the former case, when requests cannot be honored for a second time, it's really just a turn of bad luck.

We finally agreed to leave my belongings in my daughters, vacate the room for a few hours and she gave me a credit.That's pretty generous. I'd expect that if they couldn't accommodate you in a room at the same resort, or required you to take a couple of studios instead of 2BR or a studio instead of a 1BR. But to get a credit for just having requests not honored, and for the inconvenience of having to vacate for a few hours while accommodations are arranged -- that's pretty nice! :thumbsup2

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Sure was very upsetting. I have just canceled my BCV waitlist so someone is up one....With any luck they will turn things around. I am thinking that the way things are being run the DVC resorts will go to seed long before they should which is why I'm getting out while I can.
The couch was badly stained, chipped wood, things like that, which is a real shame because the resort is beautiful. Like I said my daughter had a gorgeous room. They need to maintain ALL rooms however and not give members the rejects. We should have first crack along with cash paying guests. People renting for a fraction of the value should not be taking non handicapped, non smoking rooms from members.

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry you had this disappointing experience. Unfortunately, such things happen on occasion. There isn't a timeshare or comparable hotel that operates with such perfection that they never end up with a water leak problem eventually. In such cases, it is unusual for there to be no other rooms available that conform with a guest's special requests. Sometimes, there isn't even a room available at the same grade level. In the former case, when requests cannot be honored for a second time, it's really just a turn of bad luck.

That's pretty generous. I'd expect that if they couldn't accommodate you in a room at the same resort, or required you to take a couple of studios instead of 2BR or a studio instead of a 1BR. But to get a credit for just having requests not honored, and for the inconvenience of having to vacate for a few hours while accommodations are arranged -- that's pretty nice! :thumbsup2

It wasn't a leak, it was a shampooed carpet which had not had the water extracted which is why the credit. The shower problem was a separate issue. I would have taken a studio, it wasn't offered. What was offered was to check out the next morning at 11 and check into another room at 4. Result? Two lost days. I had already checked out of one resort (French Quarter, which was wonderful) to go to the BCV's. Then I had to vacate my room at BCV while they extracted the water. Another move wasn't acceptable. I can replace cash, not my time... and there is less of it with each vacation! I'm a grandmother and valuable time was taken from this trip addressing this unit.

PS I was not given a credit for not having request honored, where did you get that idea? A dry rug is not a request...... :confused3

bicker
08-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry I misread your message. I thought you got the credit for the request AND the having to vacate the room for a few hours, both together. I wouldn't have expected to get a credit for just a few hours of time. Very generous of them.

It is disappointing when unfortunately events like this happen during our vacation. Hopefully, you have a better experience in the future.

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Sorry I misread your message. I thought you got the credit for the request AND the having to vacate the room for a few hours, both together. I wouldn't have expected to get a credit for just a few hours of time. Very generous of them.

It is disappointing when unfortunately events like this happen during our vacation. Hopefully, you have a better experience in the future.

It was probably due to the fact I spent nearly 20,000 for a timeshare that I thought came with carpeting that is not soaking wet when we check in. Or perhaps the dues we pay for maintenence? I don't see the generousity at all, and somewhere you forgot the broken doors and shower but that's fine you're entitled to your opinion. I hope it you ever get this room, in this condition, you are satisfied.

paults
08-26-2006, 12:12 PM
:surfweb:

lets see if I can get something else on this computer

this is getting boring :sad2:

bicker
08-26-2006, 12:14 PM
It was probably due to the fact I spent nearly 20,000 for a timeshare that I thought came with carpeting that is not soaking wet when we check in.Well, Hmmm... We've had over 10 vacations as DVC members, and have never had a wet carpet, so I wouldn't expect to have that happen very often to you, based on it happening just this one time. If lots of members were reporting the kinds of problems you mentioned, frequently, far in excess of what's normal at timeshares, then I'd get a little worried. However, the vast majority of DVC members relay repeated, superior experiences.

you're entitled to your opinion.Thanks!

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, Hmmm... We've had over 10 vacations as DVC members, and have never had a wet carpet, so I wouldn't expect to have that happen very often to you, based on it happening just this one time. If lots of members were reporting the kinds of problems you mentioned, frequently, far in excess of what's normal at timeshares, then I'd get a little worried. However, the vast majority of DVC members relay repeated, superior experiences.

Thanks!

hmmm the wet carpet was the least of it and this thread was not started by me, so no not everyone thinks it's so great. I could not wait to stay at BCV which is why I was waitlisted for more points. Enough is enough however. I can sell now and use that cash (plus maintenence costs) to vacation as I please and not get this treatment, sorry. (and get free dining to boot :thumbsup2 )
PS Do you work for DVC? ;)

bicker
08-26-2006, 12:26 PM
No, I surely don't work for DVC. Just trying to keep the discussion realistic.

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 12:37 PM
No, I surely don't work for DVC. Just trying to keep the discussion realistic.

Wow..It's not realistic to expect a room not to have broken balcony doors? (They were wide open when we returned at night) A shower that doesn't flood the bathroom when used and a not soaking wet carpet? I repeat the carpet had been shampooed and they failed to extract the water, it was not wet from the bathroom shower.
I am talking about a deluxe resort here, not a motel 6!

You sure are easy to please!

Oh I get it! Your name is bicker so........

Really, why are you flaming me for shoddy service?

bicker
08-26-2006, 01:02 PM
What are you talking about? I haven't flamed you at all. :confused3
I'm sorry you had this disappointing experience. Unfortunately, such things happen on occasion. There isn't a timeshare or comparable hotel that operates with such perfection that they never end up with a water leak problem eventually. In such cases, it is unusual for there to be no other rooms available that conform with a guest's special requests. Sometimes, there isn't even a room available at the same grade level. In the former case, when requests cannot be honored for a second time, it's really just a turn of bad luck.

Why are you flaming me?

Ksp
08-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Guess I'll chip in my two cents on BCV--we've had both good and bad experiences there.

So far we've only encountered poor experiences w/either CM's or lack of cleaning at BCV; we have been sent by the BCV front desk staff up to rooms which were not cleaned yet .

It seemed to be that there was a lack of real communication in the housekeeping area--our front desk CM verified w/housekeeping that our room was on the "finished" list, yet when we arrived the trash was still in the room, dirty towels, used bedding on beds, etc.

My husband had gone up ahead of us w/some luggage and actually found a man in our room -- not in a BCV uniform, mind you-- who said he was cleaning the room. DH came right back down to let the front desk know the room wasn't ready and there was a man in the room who was not in uniform, and had no name tag.
(Yes, we did tell the manager about that, too. My concern was that a non-staff member had access to our room--kind of creeped me out.)

When we got the approval the second time to go up to our room (by this time it is now closer to 5 or 5:30, as I recall), the trash still was not out, wet towels were still in the bathroom, although the bedding had been changed and new towels were hanging in the bathroom.

It is hard on all concerned when housekeeping certifies a room to be "finished and ready for the next guest," when in truth the full room cleaning and restocking of towels, etc. has not been done. I felt badly for the front desk staff -- they really have to rely on getting accurate reports on room-readiness; when they aren't accurate, the front-desk CM's are often the ones who receive the brunt of our (any hotel guest, that is) frustration.

As far as the CM's go, during previous trips to BCV we had noticed a definite difference in attitude at that resort; some of the CM's were just downright rude.

As a family, we try to make a conscious effort not to answer back in kind to people who treat us poorly; there are many reasons for that--first, I don't believe in being nasty in the first place, and second, I think that if you treat people well, it will come back to you in a positive way.

Our last visit in November 05, however, was fine--all BCV CM's were cordial. It was a nice improvement :goodvibes

Lexxiefern
08-26-2006, 01:28 PM
LakeAriel, sorry about your stay. We had a less than stellar stay at BCV in May and will be using most of our BCV points at BWV now. Our problems were definately not as bad as yours. Hope your vacations are better in the future!

LVSWL
08-26-2006, 01:33 PM
It wasn't a leak, it was a shampooed carpet which had not had the water extracted which is why the credit. The shower problem was a separate issue. I would have taken a studio, it wasn't offered. What was offered was to check out the next morning at 11 and check into another room at 4. Result? Two lost days. I had already checked out of one resort (French Quarter, which was wonderful) to go to the BCV's. Then I had to vacate my room at BCV while they extracted the water. Another move wasn't acceptable. I can replace cash, not my time... and there is less of it with each vacation! I'm a grandmother and valuable time was taken from this trip addressing this unit.

PS I was not given a credit for not having request honored, where did you get that idea? A dry rug is not a request...... :confused3
HA rooms are a pain if you do not need one. Our shower flooded the bath and soaked my train case on the bath floor ( there because no vanity). So sorry about your experience.

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 02:51 PM
HA rooms are a pain if you do not need one. Our shower flooded the bath and soaked my train case on the bath floor ( there because no vanity). So sorry about your experience.

Could it be the shower Always floods in the HA room?
The barrier had sunk (so they thought) and they fixed that after changing the showerhead. Then they came to change the shower head again, while we were getting dressed, just ridiculous, and major communications problems between all departments and CM's.
As I told them on numerous occasions a wet tiled floor is an accident waiting to happen!

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 02:52 PM
LakeAriel, sorry about your stay. We had a less than stellar stay at BCV in May and will be using most of our BCV points at BWV now. Our problems were definately not as bad as yours. Hope your vacations are better in the future!

Have you had better experiences at Boardwalk?

disjest8
08-26-2006, 03:06 PM
LakeAriel,

We stayed in a studio at BCV last September. I noticed shortly after we checked in that the carpet in the entry way was soaking wet. Since I was fairly certain that it was due to being steam cleaned recently, I decided to let it go. UNTIL I sat on the bed and noticed what appeared to be dried red vomit splattered on the wall. I called the front desk and asked to be moved. They obliged and sent a bell hop to assist with moving our luggage within a couple of hours. The new room was a HA room, which we did not have a need for and it ALSO HAD WET CARPET!!! I didn't want to waste any more of our time changing rooms, so I just decided to accept wet carpet. I responded to a survey and sent a complaint via email after we got home. I received a response stating that they appreciated my feedback and would utilize the information I provided. I did not receive any credit at all!!!

I guess I am a fool because we are scheduled to return to BCV in late November. I had so hoped that what I experienced last year was an isolated episode. Unfortunately, it sounds like I was wrong.

I am so sorry you lost valuable time during your vacation. I understand how disappointing that can be. I'll let you know how our trip goes in November.

-Kristi

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 03:14 PM
People on these boards have said time and time again to bring these things to the attention of the resort while there so they can rectify them. I did and hope something comes of it. Of course on trash and towel day I received zero replenishment of supplies and had to call and get them that night. I'm sure it was due to the prior complaints. I have to say the housekeeping manager was the most understanding and actually provided a creative way to get my time back...and gave us a late check out since they needed to revamp the room anyway.
Another CM suggested I should be grateful they deep cleaned the rug. :rolleyes1

CoolDisneyCat
08-26-2006, 04:30 PM
We stayed at our home resort BCV for the first time in Jan 06. I requested a non smoking, near the elevator, high floor, 2 beds in the second bedroom. I could not have walked in, been allowed to pick any room in the whole place that would have met every single request any better! It was perfect! :sunny:

There are not many rooms that would fit all my requests exactly and I know a CM must have been paying very close attention to pick it for us! Thank you to someone out there. I was just floored to have all of my requests granted. It was in fine condition and we had a wonderful stay. :thumbsup2

patsal
08-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Filthy room, at BCV--yup I've had that
Lie and tell me my requests have all been met until I open the door--yup, I've had that (sure they are requests until you tell me they've been met and when I get there to the room I am disappointed--tell me that it is not available when I check in and I'm all good with it)
Welcome home--never have rec'd one while at this resort
Letters of complaint--yup I've mailed them
Feeling like anyone cared about it--nope just given the usual lip service
BCV points--yup I have them
Use BCV points for stays at BCV--nope not in 3 years and so long as I keep seeing these kinds of reports I won't be anytime soon

OP I'm sorry your stay was like this--I really had hoped my complaining years ago would have helped prevent this. :sad2:

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Filthy room, at BCV--yup I've had that
Lie and tell me my requests have all been met until I open the door--yup, I've had that (sure they are requests until you tell me they've been met and when I get there to the room I am disappointed--tell me that it is not available when I check in and I'm all good with it)
Welcome home--never have rec'd one while at this resort
Letters of complaint--yup I've mailed them
Feeling like anyone cared about it--nope just given the usual lip service
BCV points--yup I have them
Use BCV points for stays at BCV--nope not in 3 years and so long as I keep seeing these kinds of reports I won't be anytime soon

OP I'm sorry your stay was like this--I really had hoped my complaining years ago would have helped prevent this. :sad2:

Thank you
If it makes anyone feel better after I showed the housekeeping manager the wasp nest outside of my room (where the balcony doors opened by themselves while we were out at night) staff was busy the next day removing these nest from all around the property. This gentleman was truly trying and I will commend him in my correspondence!

Beca
08-26-2006, 08:09 PM
LakeAriel....I am really sorry for your experiences!!! I know how much you used to love both VWL and BCV!! I think BCV does have some improvements to make. I honestly think that BCV CM's feel we DVCers are so "lucky" to be there, that we should just take what we get. Maybe I am wrong...it just seems that way to me.

But, on the good side....your BCV and VWL points will go very quickly, and you will probably make money on them!!

I hope you have wonderful vacations in the future (with free dining). Who knows....we may be joining you in the "sales" area, if things do not improve.

Take care!!!

Beca

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
LakeAriel....I am really sorry for your experiences!!! I know how much you used to love both VWL and BCV!! I think BCV does have some improvements to make. I honestly think that we DVCers are so "lucky" to be there, that we should just take what we get. Maybe I am wrong...it just seems that way to me.

But, on the good side....your BCV and VWL points will go very quickly, and you will probably make money on them!!

I hope you have wonderful vacations in the future (with free dining). Who knows....we may be joining you in the "sales" area, if things do not improve.

Take care!!!

Beca
Thanks Beca! I am hoping to turn a profit to use for future trips. If I ever miss the Villa's, I'll rent. They are undercut on the rental market anyway. If I need a larger unit my son in law is in the travel industry and we can get one at half price. I am fearful that to wait till these units are in total disrepair will cause them to have very limited resale price plus the years left will be shortened. I think with the 20 grand I get back I should be able to get a non- smoking room with working parts in a luxury resort elsewhere!
I hope my experience keeps them on their toes and the rest of you have magical stays at DVC!

Muushka
08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
LakeAriel....I am really sorry for your experiences!!! I know how much you used to love both VWL and BCV!! I think BCV does have some improvements to make. I honestly think that we DVCers are so "lucky" to be there, that we should just take what we get. Maybe I am wrong...it just seems that way to me.

Take care!!!

Beca

No Beca. Tell me you really don't believe that, do you? :confused3

Sammie
08-26-2006, 09:43 PM

Take care!!!

Beca

Surely you don't mean that any DVC member should accept less than industry standard just because of a certain location. :sad2:

Hopefully this is a tongue in cheek comment, that means Disney expects BCV members to be more forgiving of bad service and bad room conditions due to the fact they allowed DVC to add on to "their" resort.

Personally after staying at BW, VWL, BCV, SSR and OKW I think hands down the best service, best room conditions are found at the true DVC resorts and not at the ones added on as an after thought. That is one reason I am not thrilled about AKL villas or Contemporary ones, I think we will always be the evil step child at these locations.

bobbiwoz
08-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Wow. There have been some bad BCV experiences told here, and we have only stayed there in studios, a total of 5 different check-ins there and every room has been clean and every stay has been magical. We have gotten many many welcome homes from the staff members, especially at the guard gate.

My favorite resort is VWL, an add-on resort and I have never felt like I was being treated as a second class citizen at the front desk anywhere on site. After experiencing a 5 night vacation with 7 people, 3 little ones (DGC), in a 2 bedroom, I appreciate what Mousekeeping has to deal with. We do not allow children to crayon on furniture or stamp cereal into carpets, but these things are done. I/we used the villa vacuum for the first time ever during a DVC stay. Clean clothes were folded and put in the basket waiting for a sleeping child to wake up in order to put the clothes away when you turn around and all of a sudden the clothes are being jumped on and scattered as raked leaves by a curb. Clean or dirty, I now understand how a sock/underwear can be found by the next occupants. You parents know the drill! Have you ever lost a sock under these conditions and found it a month or two later? Yes, it's not our paid job to clean but mistakes happen and marks are overlooked and then I wonder how could I have missed that spot, mark, whatever.

As far as hotel ammenities, we have had boxes and room service delivered in a very timely fashion. On our very first DVC trip, the DVC Christmas tree was set up for us in our room at the VWL.

OK - there was a mix-up on this VWL trip, towel service came very late on Wednesday, our 4th day, and trash wasn't all taken out. However, I had left a tip. Then surprisingly, we got another more thorough trash take-out and extra towels on Thursday.

If DVC doesn't measure up to anyone's expectations, I hope that they do sell, I know that's what I would do. I don't think that I would spend much time defending my decision here. I write this post, not to defend, but to say that it's not always the way it has been presented. Maybe that's not right to do, but before our first stay at BCV I read some pretty scary things and worried what I had gotten us into.

I hope to be in DVC for the long term.

Bobbi :sunny:

Beca
08-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Sammie and Muushka....Yikes!!! No...I totally mis-quoted myself!! What I meant to say was that "BCV CM's feel that we are so lucky to be there, that we should be happy to get what we get."

That's what I get for talking on the phone, and writing at the same time!!

I'm going to go correct that RIGHT NOW!!!

LakeAriel
08-26-2006, 11:37 PM
The "earning my ears" reservation CM told me himself they do not say "welcome home" at BCV and he didn't know why. He said he usually works at OKW and SSR where it is always said. Now he screwed up on many different things but it was not said to me by him and I joked about it with him. That was when I still in good humor.... :rolleyes:
The only person who said it was the poor guy selling DVC in the lobby and I thanked him profusely!

LakeAriel
08-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Sammie and Muushka....Yikes!!! No...I totally mis-quoted myself!! What I meant to say was that "BCV CM's feel that we are so lucky to be there, that we should be happy to get what we get."

I knew that's what you meant Beca. I, too, multitask far too often!

rinkwide
08-27-2006, 12:15 AM
...I think with the 20 grand I get back I should be able to get a non- smoking room with working parts in a luxury resort elsewhere...Good luck. My recent stay at the Grand Floridian made your BCV experience look like a walk in the park.

I'll take my chances with DVC (and keep the member perks and high resale value that goes along with it).

Beca
08-27-2006, 12:44 AM
The "earning my ears" reservation CM told me himself they do not say "welcome home" at BCV and he didn't know why. He said he usually works at OKW and SSR where it is always said. Now he screwed up on many different things but it was not said to me by him and I joked about it with him. That was when I still in good humor.... :rolleyes:
The only person who said it was the poor guy selling DVC in the lobby and I thanked him profusely!

I totally believe that!!! I really do love BCV (at least for now), but I definitely get the sense that SOME of the CM's feel they are "too good" for us!! Sometimes, I even get a weird sense when I am buying things in the Marketplace and they ask if I am at a Villa or the hotel. I am never sure exactly WHY they ask that...I am not charging to my room....I'm just using my cc. I swear I one CM even rolled her eyes when I said it!

But, in their defense, I have had some AMAZING CM's there as well. I will admit, however....I don't think anyone associated with WDW (except DVC reps) are glad DVC is there....we're definitely the "white trash" of the resort. I have even had some cm's come out and tell me how lucky I am to own there!! (Okay...I do feel lucky to own DVC...but, I don't need them to tell me).

I just take BCV for what it is, and know that there are MANY aspects of the resort that make me truly happy....for me, the ambiance is amazing. I guess it all comes back to that.

I wish you lots of happiness in the future...whatever you decide to do!!

Beca

Muushka
08-27-2006, 10:19 AM

Phhheeewwww. Beca, I thought you had lost it!! :rotfl2:

NMW
08-27-2006, 04:29 PM
We have only ever stayed in the hotel part of the BC. We were treated wonderfully by the CM's at check-ins. One time a CM saw that our "water-view" wasn't directly facing the lake and changed it for us. Housekeeping responded instantly (I'm talking with in 10 minutes) to any request-full size crib, extra towels and pillows, fridge in the room.

We have such wonderful memories of our BC stays. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about ever staying there as a DVC member in the villas. I guess I'm afraid that we will be treated poorly or the room will be shabby and it will "cloud" our wonderful memories of the hotel that made us fall in love with Disney World in the first place.

Okay Rinkwide, what happened at the Grand Floridian?

donmil723
08-27-2006, 04:39 PM
We have only ever stayed in the hotel part of the BC. We were treated wonderfully by the CM's at check-ins. One time a CM saw that our "water-view" wasn't directly facing the lake and changed it for us. Housekeeping responded instantly (I'm talking with in 10 minutes) to any request-full size crib, extra towels and pillows, fridge in the room.

We have such wonderful memories of our BC stays. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about ever staying there as a DVC member in the villas. I guess I'm afraid that we will be treated poorly or the room will be shabby and it will "cloud" our wonderful memories of the hotel that made us fall in love with Disney World in the first place.

We have stayed at both BC and BCV and have never noticed being treated any differently by the CMs since we became members. Please don't worry!

Donna

LakeAriel
08-27-2006, 05:34 PM

The Boardwalk seems to have a better reputation but I have never stayed there. My friend owns points there ( I recommended it) and loves it. She often rents them out though and uses her travel agent discount to stay in the regular rooms.

Sammie
08-27-2006, 07:18 PM

We have such wonderful memories of our BC stays. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about ever staying there as a DVC member in the villas.

I guess I'm afraid that we will be treated poorly or the room will be shabby and it will "cloud" our wonderful memories of the hotel that made us fall in love with Disney World in the first place.

Legitimate concerns.

50 years Too!
08-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Hate to think this might be true, but seems most people having CM's be less than magical to them are from the NE area. Maybe the "Why CM's hate DVCer's" OP might be stating what a lot of CM's feel. Before I'm flamed, I'm not saying that they deserve the treatment, just that maybe they are being prejudiced against. (I'm from the NW, by the way). :confused3

LakeAriel
08-27-2006, 10:12 PM
There are those among us who believe the planets need to be perfectly aligned or we will have a less then pleasant experience. Perhaps the demotion of Pluto while I was at Disney World, of all places, is why my experience was soooooooo screwed up! How can the planets possibly be aligned without poor Pluto? ;)
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f390/carolab107/th_angelpluto.gif (http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f390/carolab107/angelpluto.gif)

rinkwide
08-28-2006, 02:37 AM
...what happened at the Grand Floridian?I learned that the Disney term "ConventionEars" is just a euphemism that really means boorish drunks.

LakeAriel
08-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I learned that the Disney term "ConventionEars" is just a euphemism that really means boorish drunks.

That's too bad..Is the GF noted for conventions? ( I would guess, yes)

NMW
08-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Hate to think this might be true, but seems most people having CM's be less than magical to them are from the NE area. Maybe the "Why CM's hate DVCer's" OP might be stating what a lot of CM's feel. Before I'm flamed, I'm not saying that they deserve the treatment, just that maybe they are being prejudiced against. (I'm from the NW, by the way). :confused3

Do you really think CM's treat people from the north-east differently than other parts of the country? I have never noticed this, but then I'm from the north-east...

thelobstershanty
08-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Personally after staying at BW, VWL, BCV, SSR and OKW I think hands down the best service, best room conditions are found at the true DVC resorts and not at the ones added on as an after thought. That is one reason I am not thrilled about AKL villas or Contemporary ones, I think we will always be the evil step child at these locations.
Interesting observation, not one that I agree with-- in the least, but still interesting.
I am curious though, where would you put BWV in your assesstment of the DVC resorts with the best service and room conditions? BWV was not an add-on, it was always part of the original design of the resort--the Inn rooms on one side the DVC villas on the other side. No add on here, just part of the original design and plan of the resort.
You can't eliminate BWV from being a "true DVC resort" since it was always intended as a DVC resort. We have stayed at BWV too many times to count and have never had bad service or substandard room conditions, so it does not fit in there either??? Where should poor BWV be classified ,according to your assessment? Is is a "True DVC resort" or is it one of the "Fake DVC resorts"? :rotfl2:
I also find it funny that you should use the term of "true DVC resort". Haven't seen that term used around here in quite awhile! That phrase is no more true or any less silly, then it was when it was first coined, but it was funny to read it again. :joker:

Lexxiefern
08-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Have you had better experiences at Boardwalk?

Oh definately. BWV is our favorite anyway, but we really enjoyed BCV too. Everything was worked out on my last trip in the end, but I think I will wait awhile before returning.....good luck to you in selling your points :thumbsup2

Dancind
09-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Good luck. My recent stay at the Grand Floridian made your BCV experience look like a walk in the park.

I'll take my chances with DVC (and keep the member perks and high resale value that goes along with it).

LOL, we had a GF stay like that! Only two nights, but we had the whole gamut. Party at the pool below our window until midnight, then it moved into the room adjoining ours! They even tried to "annex" our room by going through the unlocked adjoining door at 1 am. Yes, we were moved the next day. First, to a room with soaking and chemical smelling carpet. Finally, to a nice room. Give me DVC any day!

The resort we have had the most issues at is BWV. We're just lucky that way. We have stayed at BCV maybe 10 times? And have had rooms we really didn't care for, noisy but never dirty. But most of the stays have been fine. We'll be back in December, and I just pray for new comfy beds. That's really my only complaint.