PDA

View Full Version : Feb 21-26 Why are hotels sold out?

tmorse65
02-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Is there something going on that week? Most of my favorite hotels are sold out. I'm afraid it's another cheerleading competition or something with throngs of unsupervised teens.
Also noticed high prices on auto rentals.
Any ideas?

mjmcca
02-16-2006, 01:44 AM
It is President's week and a lot of Northern schools have tha week off. The Daytona 500 is the 19th and that also fills the area hotels.

PavelB
02-16-2006, 06:51 AM
I tried a last minute trip and there are NO flights to Orlando Fri or Sat.

kilee
02-16-2006, 06:55 AM
That is a very busy week. I know around here carriers like SW are sold-out to Orlando for multiple days. It is the start of peak season in WDW.

VacationDad
02-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Sidestep says these are available:

http://www.sidestep.com/hotel/rs.do?searchid=007bf2b21ba4be9aca48aa2d00010

spiceycat
02-16-2006, 09:20 AM
they are definitely overcharging for the Pop Century - even disney own site has it $128 with taxes.....

more reasonable prices
http://www.hotelkingdom.com/hotelsearch.aspx?cityid=273

Tinker*Shell*Bell
02-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Almost every school in the Northeast has a vacation next week. It's a break needed to let the kids thaw from weeks on the cold playgrounds. Flights in and out have been sold out for months. Hotels are at nearly full capacity. It is supposed to be 2 degrees here Saturday for the start of 7 days of kids being home, anyone with $ and brains is heading south. I am out of cash and brains, so here I freeze, kids and all....

VacationDad
02-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I found a cheap flight and hotel from Boston pretty easily for next week and booked it only a week ago.

jeff968
02-16-2006, 11:45 AM
I found a cheap flight and hotel from Boston pretty easily for next week and booked it only a week ago.

That's not the norm. When flights aren't fully sold some of the airlines will lower the price at the last minute. We travel every February presidents week (wife is a teacher, 3 kids in school) and I have to purchase my flights 6 months in advance to get a decent deal.

VacationDad
02-16-2006, 12:22 PM
That's not the norm. When flights aren't fully sold some of the airlines will lower the price at the last minute. We travel every February presidents week (wife is a teacher, 3 kids in school) and I have to purchase my flights 6 months in advance to get a decent deal.

This is the 3rd year of doing inexpensive last minute trips during President's Week. I don't fly weekend to weekend and don't mind not having nonstop flights. Yes, if you are flying weekend to weekend and want nonstop, you had better book way ahead, but otherwise you can book last minute trips like I do. I have never paid more than $200 per person roundtrip even with less than 2 weeks before the trip.

TravelinGal
02-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Peak season Feb 15-Apr 22??? This has me befuddled and amazed! I've been to WDW quite a few times the last week of Feb/first week of Mar and it's been quiet as can be - and we've gotten great rates!! I understand there are some special events and holidays during that time, but PEAK?? Interesting seasonal status... [shr]

LovesHauntedMansion
02-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Tuesday, Feb. 28 is Mardi Gras. Schools are out that whole week or part of that week in my neck of the woods. Some kids don't go to school on Friday, Feb. 24 to extend the holiday. They fly out Thursday night or Friday morning. The last time I visited WDW during Mardi Gras I paid $129 + tax/night for ASMusic. They said it was peak season - no discounts. My flight (I was lucky to even get one) was also expensive - about triple the regular price.

caa1000
02-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Is there something going on that week? Most of my favorite hotels are sold out. I'm afraid it's another cheerleading competition or something with throngs of unsupervised teens.
Also noticed high prices on auto rentals.
Any ideas?

Would you take the Greyhound Bus? Is true, but it is hard to find flights and hotels are quite book, but you may find something!