PDA

View Full Version : "Cool Straight People"

True North
02-13-2006, 03:44 PM
When Will and I were getting reading to bring Mark into our lives, I think I read the blog about a gay couples adventures in getting a baby from Gay.com about a million times. One great artical was about what the author called Cool Straight People (http://www.gay.com/families/article.html?sernum=452) or CSPs, which waw about all the wonderful straight people that helped the GLTB community become better intergated with mainstream society, and allow us to life our lives in peace. This is especially important to gay families as children need even more support from the community as a whole.

I am very lucky to have so many CSPs in my life. Between family, friends, and community members, so many have made Mark and my life so easy and acepted. Whether it is my sister taking over the job of "a woman's voice" to my son as he gets older, or the babysitter that talks about the diffrent styles of families, we are lucky enough to have a huge support system and live a great life. :goodvibes

As I have read through this board I have noticed a huge amount of CSPs that post on this board. It seems as if every thread has at least one person saying they're not gay but hope for the best in our lifes. I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all those people. Thank you for the support you give. It is only throught the suport of the majority that people in the minority can have the rights they diserve. Whether it is your support for equal-marriage, teaching your children that diversity is not something to be feared, or just being open minded to people of a diffrent lifestyle, I wanted you to know how much it means to us.

mickeymousemommy
02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey there! I'm a CSP with gay family and friends. I have four kids and I try my hardest to teach them that all people are different and to accept them all. It's pretty hard in today's society. I've been to Orlando during Gay Days and it was kind of nice to see couples out and about doing the "normal" things that are hidden most of the time. I'm all for happy people that are comfortable with themselves, gay or straight!

Congratulations on Mark!

Valentine
02-13-2006, 04:47 PM
What a GREAT idea for a thread!! Yes.. Thank you, thank you to you all!!

Kathy

Stacerita
02-13-2006, 06:20 PM
CSP.......Yippie :cheer2: I didn't know I had my own acronym.

SeattleRedBear
02-13-2006, 07:07 PM
As I have read through this board I have noticed a huge amount of CSPs that post on this board. It seems as if every thread has at least one person saying they're not gay but hope for the best in our lifes. I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all those people. Thank you for the support you give. It is only throught the suport of the majority that people in the minority can have the rights they diserve. Whether it is your support for equal-marriage, teaching your children that diversity is not something to be feared, or just being open minded to people of a diffrent lifestyle, I wanted you to know how much it means to us.
Here Here!! Thank you Thank you Thank you Noah for that statement. :cheer2:

Here's to all the Cool Straight People on DIS and in the World! :drinking1:

beckmrk04
02-13-2006, 07:07 PM
CSP.......Yippie :cheer2: I didn't know I had my own acronym.
:rotfl2:

Me either!! I have never been to these boards, but as a straight person who advocates for equal rights (and who rocks her liberal bumper stickers with pride), I was interested to see what was going on- congratulations on Mark!!! How wonderful for you! :yay:

jackskellingtonsgirl
02-13-2006, 07:30 PM
After all the horrible things people have been saying on the Gay Day threads I have been really ashamed of some of the straight people around here. I wanted to apologize for their behavior, but it occurred to me that the gay DISers already KNOW they have many straight allies and that those with all the ugly comments do NOT speak for all of us.

I adore my gay friends and I can't wait to experience WDW with our two very best gay friends in August. DS9 thinks his "uncles" are the most amazing men he knows. That's why we do our best to advocate for gay rights, speak up against intolerance, support companies with high diversity ratings (DH's company has a 100%!), pledge our money and our time to make the US a more welcoming place for GLBT citizens. I have yet to meet a gay or lesbian person who refuses to be my friend based on the fact that I am straight. There are plenty of straight people who could learn from that attitude!

Thank you to the gay DISers for sharing your stories, your photos, etc. You give a face and voice to the "cause" to people who might not think much about it otherwise. Not a day goes by that I don't wish for equality for all of you. You deserve every legal right a straight couple has. I hate that people have to make it a political issue. It is an issue of humanity. You all have my respect and my admiration! I hope that with all of us working together we can make a difference! :)

pjpoohbear
02-13-2006, 07:34 PM
As one of the first, non-Moderators, to post on this board, do I qualify?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=994125

Penny

Ps. And even though my wonderful big, gay, italian boy toy (see pic in thread above) ditched me for our DCL cruise in December, I still like his new fella!

Saxton
02-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Oooh ... I see cool straight people on the DIS! I agree - thank you to all the people that say such nice things and support us. A couple weeks ago I posted a reply to one of the Gay Days threads and I thanked all the folks that wrote positive comments. The negative statements were very hurtful and frustrating (it was so bad that the whole thread was deleted) but they were far out weighed by the kind an sensitive ones. :thumbsup2 Thank you all!!

pezpam
02-13-2006, 08:37 PM
I just had to say.... OMG, Mark is a cutie!!! I think I'd spend half my day blowing raspberries on those cheeks just to watch him giggle. :)

beckmrk04
02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
I just had to say.... OMG, Mark is a cutie!!! I think I'd spend half my day blowing raspberries on those cheeks just to watch him giggle. :)

:rotfl2: I was thinking the same thing!!! I'm having major baby envy right now!

disneynutt1225
02-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Hmm. I really like the acronym! I'm a CSP :woohoo: :rotfl2:

Mister Disney
02-14-2006, 09:42 AM
I've met LOTS of CSP here on the DIS

Two people who come to mind immediately are

jackskellingtonsgirl :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 who joined us for Nosh Around the World

and Deb in IA, who along with her family joined Kevin and I on the Backstage Steam Train Tour!

WAY TO GO PEOPLE!!!! :love1: :love1: :love1:

sotoalf
02-14-2006, 10:56 AM
I've been lucky: most of my best guy friends are straight men. When I came out five years ago the reactions ranged from "Oh, okay..." to "Get over yourself. We KNEW!" I was 24, which should indicate how my generation (and the next one) views homosexuality as a non-issue.

nordkin
02-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Thank you to all the CSP who make our lives more tolerable and there are many of you on this board.

toto2
02-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Yes, thank you to all the CSP ! I cant wait for the time we will only have to say CP (cool people) !

And good to see a fellow Montréaler on the Dis. There are not a lot of us here !
(and I am french on top of that , I think I am the only one !)

kpk89
02-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Does one have to be "cool" to be a cool straight person? I am straight, and a person, but I fear I'm not cool. Never was a cool kid. Kinda geeky, in fact. But as for gay issues, it's all about love. There's enough ugliness in this world without telling people who they can and can't love.

Happy Valentine's Day, all!

jackskellingtonsgirl
02-14-2006, 01:04 PM
:wave2: Hi, Mister Disney! We like you and Kevin, too!

Mister Disney
02-14-2006, 02:16 PM
But as for gay issues, it's all about love. There's enough ugliness in this world without telling people who they can and can't love.

Happy Valentine's Day, all!
THAT MAKES YOU A :cool: COOL STRAIGHT PERSON :cool: IN MY BOOK!

olbear
02-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Well, I am gonna take a chance and maybe end out on a limb all by myself dangling...

But here goes, I don't know how "cool" I am, I am straight, married to a wonderful man for 21 and a half years. I have many wonderful gays friends, most of whom I know from meeting at WDW. I dated a guy I met in church,when I lived in Texas, we were even engaged. Broke up after about a year on good terms, I moved to Florida and he moved out of his closet. We remained the very best of friends, until his death about a year after coming out, from AIDS. It broke my heart and I still miss him very much.

I say all that to preface this, most if not all my gay friends, know where I stand on homosexuality. I am a southern Baptist. Need I say more. HOWEVER!! (put your stones down!!) We simply agree to disagree and are still the greatest of friends. You see I may not agree with you 100%, and you may not agree with me 100%, that's ok, as long as we can agree to disagree and not become hateful or biggoted on either side. I have seen and experienced it on both sides. I'm sure we all have.

In my heart I believe what I believe and I have no doubt Gays feel the exact same way. I just wish it were safer and more frindlier in how we disagree. I wish all peace and happiness. We may not agree on how to get there. But I hope we can agree to live together in peace without bashing. I hope I have made some sence, And I truely hope I won't get bashed for who and what I am. I know I have opened myself up to hurt, and I hope no one takes advantage of that. I lurk on this board alot, and sometimes I too get aggravated at how things are said. But ultimately I think the bigger picture is that we are all indiviuals and have deep convictions and feelings, all of which we are entitled too, whether they are the same or not. I lurk so I may better understand and be more educated when I speak with someone who is gay. It is my desire to understand and learn how to language my thoughts with feelings of love and understanding, not hate and biggotry.

Thanks for reading and hopefully understanding and respecting,
Blessings galore!
Winnie

toto2
02-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Since I am from , Montréal , I dont know what a southern Baptist is (but i kind of understand it). it is allright to disagree , but it is better to try to understand and this is very cool in my book ! :thumbsup2

Mister Disney
02-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Winnie -

Since I guess I am one of the first person'd to read your post, let me say your explaination makes you a CSP in my book!
:cool: COOL STRAIGHT PERSON :cool:

Agreeing to disagree is the best policy in life. With no bashing of anyone, pro or con with regards to a subject in question!

It is my desire to understand and learn how to language my thoughts with feelings of love and understanding, not hate and biggotry.WOW....those are mighty powerful words and words that EVERYONE should live by.

All the best to you Winnie and your family also!

Bob & Kevin a.k.a. Mister Disney

Teresa Pitman
02-14-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm not gay and don't know about being cool, but I feel pretty passionately about the importance of equal rights and respect for everyone.

I am Canadian, and was away at a conference in Washington last year when Canada changed the law so that same-sex partners could marry. My daughter who is 26 (and also not gay) called me at the hotel to tell me the good news! We'd both been sending letters and emails to encourage our MPs to pass the law.

Later that summer, I was at a party with one of my friends who had recently married, and I will never forget the look of love and pride on her face as she introduced us to her wife.

Teresa

True North
02-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Yes, thank you to all the CSP ! I cant wait for the time we will only have to say CP (cool people) !

And good to see a fellow Montréaler on the Dis. There are not a lot of us here !
(and I am french on top of that , I think I am the only one !)

haha! Actually, there is one other! JoanJett on this board is a francophone Montrealer. I am an anglo, but my husband is francophone. I like to pretend I am as well but my accent always gives me away. :tilt:

toto2
02-14-2006, 03:25 PM
We should start the Montreal clique of the Dis ! :cool1:

I even work at the world trade center , not far from you !

Cheshire Figment
02-14-2006, 05:35 PM
I think I qualify. I was one of the first to post (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=998173) in this forum, and I think that post says something.

Of course how would one define this situation. The person who has been my best friend for over 40 years, and we each were Best Man at the others wedding, about ten years ago came out as transgendered and is now, after surgery, living in a lesbian relationship. I have since invited her to share my bed, to which her adult daughter (straight but with a t-shirt that says "I love both my moms") said she had been told (by her mother) that I have acceopted the change.

Saxton
02-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Cheshire - your friend is very lucky to have a friend like you! You are definitely a CSP!

Azure
02-14-2006, 06:39 PM
I think that everyone is a person and everyone deserves to be just like everyone else no matter what

tmt martins
02-14-2006, 06:51 PM
-I like the CSP as well

They are having a big fight herein Md about rights and in todays Sun paper was a protest picture of a man holding a sign ,let just be CIVIL on the CIVIL union thing,or something to that nature.
As a married man for 14 years and haveing Gay friends I think that really sums it up

JUST BE CIVIL PEOPLE.

Azure
02-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Well at my school we have this challenge day thing. And apparently the money goes to supporting the gay/lesbian marriages. I think that it's amazing and very nice of them to do this! I agree with them 110% because in the end we are all just people and we need to be treated the same.

SunFloridaDisney
02-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Ok, I just came up with an idea for a new bumper sticker

Proud to be a CSP! :sunny:

FergieTCat
02-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I prefer to think I'm a CSP.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Stacerita
02-15-2006, 07:11 PM
I prefer to think I'm a CSP.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

:rotfl2:

mushumadness
02-16-2006, 02:23 PM
I've been lucky: most of my best guy friends are straight men. When I came out five years ago the reactions ranged from "Oh, okay..." to "Get over yourself. We KNEW!" I was 24, which should indicate how my generation (and the next one) views homosexuality as a non-issue.

Im 24 soon, I have gay and straight friends, its a non issue in our area, but its awfull when some people are ignorant enough to cause hassle when we all go out,

Im a straight girl, but my two best friends in the world are two gay men, couldnt ask for any better (and they are great on my shopping trips lol) my dbf accepts it lol and gets on like a house on fires with them.

great board and great thread!!

kpk89
02-16-2006, 03:42 PM
THAT MAKES YOU A :cool: COOL STRAIGHT PERSON :cool: IN MY BOOK!

Thanks, Mister Disney! Good to know that even the socially challenged can by CSP's. :) DH and I are typically the "TSP"'s (token straight people) at the parties and jaunts of our gay friends.

Mister Disney
02-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Mister Disney! Good to know that even the socially challenged can by CSP's. :) DH and I are typically the "TSP"'s (token straight people) at the parties and jaunts of our gay friends.

Thats really interesting.....since Kevin and I just moved to a historic neighborhood in Bristol, and are somewhat feeling like the "TGP" (token gay person)........some people hate us and some people love us.....I just want to be US!

Tinker*Shell*Bell
02-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Thats really interesting.....since Kevin and I just moved to a historic neighborhood in Bristol, and are somewhat feeling like the "TGP" (token gay person)........some people hate us and some people love us.....I just want to be US!

I'm sorry you have to be the TGP's, I get to be the THP (handicapped) at work all because I was born without a few fingers. It bugs me to be singled out for something that #1-doesn't change who I really am and #2 doesn't make a diddle of a difference in how I do my job.
So from The CSP/THP to the TGP's...I like you based on what you say (lurking here until now) and how you treat people around you, not on who and how you love.
To me love is an amazing thing, being able to love is what matters, nothing else should factor into it. One day society as a whole will realize that.

StormTigger
02-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Great threat idea!!

And a happy applaud to all the CSP's! :cool1:

kpk89
02-16-2006, 08:30 PM
some people hate us and some people love us.....I just want to be US!

But that's the way it is when you ARE who you ARE for the sake of being YOU. Whether gay or straight, people who are open with their opinions/habits/choices are always subject to more love/hate stuff than the people who just go along to get along and fly under the radar.

HappyLawyer
02-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Another CSP here, but here is the funny thing, i have a great gay friend that i have never met, we chat and we talk on the phone all the time, i'm sure people have so many assumptions but you know what when we talk, there is no gay issues (unless i am asking for fashion advice) but it is just good friends having a great conversation, i too am religous, so i just make note of that part of the bible that tells us we are not to judge so i don't,
live love and let live i say.
Hey has anyone seen this commercial it says there are two times in a persons life when they don't care who the person next to them is,
it shows when the babies are first born in the hospital and they are all in the room together

then it goes to the cemetary and you know what tey were right, these are definitely two times when i could care less who is next to me, i love all

ps. the fashion comment was not a sterotype, it is just what i have found to be true with all the gay, bi, lesbian friends i have had througout my life.

True North
02-16-2006, 09:33 PM
ps. the fashion comment was not a sterotype, it is just what i have found to be true with all the gay, bi, lesbian friends i have had througout my life.

haha! Not ALL! Sadly, I need my husband to dress me. The last trime I tired to buy cloths for myself I was looking for dress pants. Some how I came home with a pair of tappered black jeans. After seeing the reaction from family and friends I have never bought cloths for myself again. :rolleyes1 (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

cstraub
02-16-2006, 09:48 PM
MEGA CSP here! http://www.surromomsonline.com/support/images/smilies/trippy.gif

HappyLawyer
02-17-2006, 01:18 PM
haha! Not ALL! Sadly, I need my husband to dress me. The last trime I tired to buy cloths for myself I was looking for dress pants. Some how I came home with a pair of tappered black jeans. After seeing the reaction from family and friends I have never bought cloths for myself again. :rolleyes1 (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

First off you are probably just spoiled, it's ok my boyfriend calls me spoiled and tells me i act like a girly girl all the time, i accept the spoiled comment. But what you said made me laugh, when i was in college i worked at a daycare center( i think everyone works at a daycare cented during their life time) anyway there was a gay couple, interracial, black and white and they had a son. I asked the son what to call them when they come in one is called dad the other is called pop, ok so the white one, can't remember if he is dad or pop always smelled so good, he had the best cologne, i would always go up and just sniff him, he got the biggest kick out of it, one day i told him, i can't wait to meet the other half and smell him too. He told me, i wouldn't sniff him if i were you, he has no sense of smell when it comes to cologne, i guess he wore just mist type fragrances.

AllisonG
02-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Here's another CSP! I have plenty of gay friends and family. My children have known what 'gay' means since they were tiny. That cousin Ed would marry and man or cousin Gwen would marry a woman some day. It's normal. You never know who you might marry until you fall in love and that LOVE IS NEVER WRONG!!!!! :love:
I think the gay community is beautiful and I support the cause whenever I can. The GLCC in Fort Lauderdale sees me almost on a regular basis.
I think it is terrible that grown people can not live their own lives the way they see fit. It is NO ONES business what another adult does in their bedroom.
Keep up the good fight and know sssoooo many CSP are behind you! :cheer2:

nwdisgal
02-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey as a CSP, I just want to say this is a cool thread and thanks :thumbsup2 I can't imagine my life without my gay and lesbian friends in it. You guys and gals are the best. :thumbsup2

We need to keep on advocating for equality and rights, because what affects one group, ulitimately affects us all.

bsusanmb
02-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Ok, 56 year old married heterosexual female here, right wing, pentacostal, born again Christian. I am also a Nurse and mother of 5. I have dedicated my life to caring for others. My heart melts when I see anyone who adopts a child, to love and care for. I have been a hospice nurse, and have cared for several gay men dying from AIDS. I loved them, and felt honored to be able to share the last days of their lives.
My dd was involved in the Miss America system, and I developed loving friendships with gay men. My dear friend, Tony, who was DD's make up artist, was the sweetest person I ever knew. He died very unexpectedly as did his partner, and it still brings me to tears.
I don't know if I am cool, but I do know that I am a loving person, who believes it is wrong to judge others.
I had been to Gay Day at MK several times by accident, and I found the people there were just delightful. There was no yelling, or fighting, just people having fun.
BLessings to all.

Mister Disney
02-18-2006, 06:14 PM
sounds like bsusanmb is a CSP to me :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Alice's Mom
02-18-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm from Southern California, a proud, liberal, single mom who has taught her daughter women can stand on their own two feet and anyone can be a family.

I continue to work on political campaigns that view equal rights as a priority. As far as my friends whether they are gay or straight, well, they're my friends and I love them all dearly!

mickeymousemom
02-18-2006, 08:53 PM
WOW....I'm not one to usually brag or anything :rolleyes: ...but I think I could consider myself a CSP...I'm not sure my DD's would consider me cool, but in this case I think its okay! What a great thread... :confused3

OH...and Mister Disney, I have followed your posts since I first registered...you are like a celebrity to me(for some reason I remember your posts and you more than anyone else on these boards)...I think I have enjoyed every post I have ever read of yours... :)

Can I say it again?? I LOVE these boards!

True North
02-18-2006, 11:11 PM
OH...and Mister Disney, I have followed your posts since I first registered...you are like a celebrity to me(for some reason I remember your posts and you more than anyone else on these boards)...I think I have enjoyed every post I have ever read of yours... :)

I'm the same way!! I have never actually talked to Mister Disney, but his posts on the restuarant board is half the reason I want to go to WDW. It is his stories that made me come back, and am some how now a regular poster.

nwdisgal
02-18-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm the same way!! I have never actually talked to Mister Disney, but his posts on the restuarant board is half the reason I want to go to WDW. It is his stories that made me come back, and am some how now a regular poster.

I think I need to start going over to the restaurant board again.

bsusanmb
02-19-2006, 07:39 AM
True North's baby is adorable. What a sweetheart! Such a blessed baby to have a loving family. Here's a big KISS on the cheek for you!! :love:

True North
02-19-2006, 11:48 AM
True North's baby is adorable. What a sweetheart! Such a blessed baby to have a loving family. Here's a big KISS on the cheek for you!! :love:

Awww! Thank you very much! I need a new pic soon though. Time to show off that he now has hair :)

mickeymousemom
02-19-2006, 12:46 PM

YES! The restaurant boards! Thats where I remember him from the most(excuse my excitement, but I have just begun posting again after several months and certain things are just now coming back to me...I missed this place!)...

Mister Disney has handed out many a good tip and review if I remember right...thanks Mister Disney, you truly are a HUGE asset to these boards :worship:

mickeymousemom
02-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Awww! Thank you very much! I need a new pic soon though. Time to show off that he now has hair :)

Can't wait to see a newer pic of your little guy. How old will he be when you go to WDW this fall? I think he'll have an awesome time...my DD has been 4 times and she's only two and a half. I think the time she got the most fun out of the characters was when she was about 17 months old...she LOVED them. When we went in October(just turned two) she was already scared of all of them but Mickey and Minnie. Take lots of pictures, the memories will be amazing. They grow WAAAYYY too fast!

Meezers
02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
43 year old divorced (very bad marriage) female here....I hope I am a CSP...although one of the girls who quit working here told everyone I was gay. So what does that make me besides confused?

Okay...the ONE gay person who works here....I am the ONLY one he has come out to (this is a Southern police department)...so....maybe I am a CSP...gosh I hope so!

True North
02-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Meezers, you sound pretty cool to me!

Mickeymousemom, Mark will be right around 2 when we go. The date isn't set in stone yet becuase of work issues, so I'm not exactly sure. We will probably go early November which would be a few weeks past his 2nd birthday. I'm not too worried about characters. Mark isn't scared of anything! (Which isn't the best situation in the world. If he was scared of fast moving cars, or dogs three times his size that are barking I would feel a lot better.) But of course, a lot can change in the next 9 months, so who knows what adventures will come up.

mickeymousemom
02-19-2006, 02:40 PM
TrueNorth,
I have no doubt you'll have a grand time! 2 Was also the time that Brennyn seemed to get more out of the trip. Also, We went to the princess bfast in Norway and she did fine. It seemed the "human" characters didn't bother her. At any rate, this age is such a wonderful time to take them and see their reactions on everything. She had a wonderful time on so many of the rides as I'm sure your little one will too. We had so much more fun watching her than doing anything else.....Have a GREAT TIME!

nwdisgal
02-19-2006, 03:42 PM

Just wait until he has a very full head of hair on him, and you look back at those pictures and remember that age :) :goodvibes.

Ilovestitch
02-19-2006, 08:55 PM
True North - your baby is so ADORABLE!! :love:

I am straight and in my early 20's and I agree w/the other posters who said that being gay in a non issue for my generation. I used to work at a retail store and there were more gay guys working there than straight. I think people my age have grown up knowing what gay was and seeing gay people in the media so its not a big deal. When we hear someone say "did you know so and so is gay??"- its like "umm..ok so what?" :rotfl: I'm more interesting in getting to know a person than giving them some label.

-Stephanie

mommaU4
02-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Can I stop in here and say a quick hello? :sunny:

I guess you can call me a CSP. I've been called all sort of things (don't ask :teeth: ) but to be called a CSP would be an honor. Actually I don't know about the "cool" part. In fact my kids would have definate problems associating their mother with the word cool. :rolleyes: Cold would work, since we have a wind chill temp of about 3 degrees right now. :goodvibes

In any case, I just do what I was always taught, and that is to treat others the way you would want to be treated. It's very simple. It's how I try to live my life and it's how I am raising my kids to live theirs. :thumbsup2

nwdisgal
02-19-2006, 09:40 PM
True North - your baby is so ADORABLE!! :love:

I am straight and in my early 20's and I agree w/the other posters who said that being gay in a non issue for my generation. I used to work at a retail store and there were more gay guys working there than straight. I think people my age have grown up knowing what gay was and seeing gay people in the media so its not a big deal. When we hear someone say "did you know so and so is gay??"- its like "umm..ok so what?" :rotfl: I'm more interesting in getting to know a person than giving them some label.

-Stephanie

That's cool. My DD's in her teens and things are a lot more open now with her generation - being out and being whatever you want to be. I am glad that your generation and the younger ones don't have to go through the struggles that my friends did.

Principessa
02-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Hello! Nice thread!

I speak French but I'm not from Montreal...but I certainly want to be in the French group thread if there is one!!!

Here's my small part...I work on a college campus...every once in a while someone will say " Oh that's so gay!" and I stop them (even if I wasn't in on their conversation) and I say, "When you say gay, what do you mean? bad? Because you think gay means bad?" or some variation of that...it REALLY annoys me when people use that expression without realizing it! They always say, oh, no I don't think gay= bad...so I tell them, well then find a new expression! Words are powerful! I'm trying to educate the careless speakers of the world!

Ok, let's see the new baby picture soon True North!

av01bps
02-20-2006, 04:43 AM
Being a high-school-GSA-co-sponsor- described-by High school kids as a "CSP", I am thrilled to find this link. We are taking our DD to WDW TODAY!!!! Out of the cold in MI and on to the 83 degrees of Orlando!

So glad to read about happy families enjoying WDW- "flames" to those who don't thing GLBT people can make families- what else would they have them do to fulfil their family values.....

Enough ranting- I shall spread pixie dust for all of you with the mouse this week.
Have fun and Be safe! This afternoon- Whoo Hoo!
:banana:
Amy

Mister Disney
02-20-2006, 06:02 AM

YES! The restaurant boards! Thats where I remember him from the most(excuse my excitement, but I have just begun posting again after several months and certain things are just now coming back to me...I missed this place!)...

Mister Disney has handed out many a good tip and review if I remember right...thanks Mister Disney, you truly are a HUGE asset to these boards :worship:

Thank you all for all the positive words and such. I am SO not worthy of it! I've met so many great people online here on the DIS and also a bunch of DISers in person on our trips. Its people like yourselves that keep me coming back to "our community" on the web!

Here's to all our friends on the DIS! :drinking1

mickeymousemom
02-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Mister Disney,

I JUST noticed your signature and how many trips you made last year and how many trips you are planning this year. I showed this to DH(who also loves WDW)...and his response was, "Honey, ever heard of keeping up with the Joneses? Well, I think we should work on keeping up with Mr. Disney!"...

...sounds like a plan to me!

PS...I think you underestimate yourself...there are probably many more DIS'ers besides TrueNorth and I who've noticed your posts! And I'll have one of those drinks and toast right along with you! :drinking1

TiggerTails57
02-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Hello.......CSP here, not too sure about the cool bit because, since joining these boards I NOW wear Crocs. Maybe just a SP with bad shoes........
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Mister Disney
02-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Mister Disney,

I JUST noticed your signature and how many trips you made last year and how many trips you are planning this year. I showed this to DH(who also loves WDW)...and his response was, "Honey, ever heard of keeping up with the Joneses? Well, I think we should work on keeping up with Mr. Disney!"...

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Yeah, well.....Kevin and I work very hard during the year, and we've always been some of the DISers that believe in short trips more often, than one long trip once a year. If that makes sense......

mickeymousemom
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Makes plenty of sense! We normally go for about a week, which is about all we can afford, though we are doing a short trip this next week, but staying offsite and only doing a day or two at WDW(our 2 older girls will stay here). We'll do our big family trip onsite this October. Are you raising any kids?? I know that when mine are grown, a few shorter trips a year will be perfect for us...as long as I can get over my HUGE fear of flying! How easy to take a long weekend, fly down and back, then repeat a few months later. That's the life.

__disneygirl
02-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Pretty sure i'm a Cool Straight Person. :) Hahaha. My best friend Peter is gay. His best friend Amanda, is a lesbian. And now we're all best friends. hahaha. They always joke about me being the "boring" one of the group. I totally support them in whatever they do. I love them to death. I consider myself lucky, because my aunt was a lesbian (she passed away in 1999) so I grew up with her and her partner around me, as opposed to a lot of kids who probably know nothing except what their parents tell them about gays and lesbians.

:)

Mister Disney
02-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Are you raising any kids?? I know that when mine are grown, a few shorter trips a year will be perfect for us...as long as I can get over my HUGE fear of flying! How easy to take a long weekend, fly down and back, then repeat a few months later. That's the life.

No, no kids here....so I make up for it in other ways. I do a lot of work at Christmas time with poor children playing Santa, and then there is always my nieces and nephews.....

Mister Disney and Kevin as Santa and his Elf.....

http://www.encampment.us/disney/santa.JPG

jackskellingtonsgirl
02-20-2006, 02:21 PM
If you and Kevin find yourselves woefully lacking in children I have one you can borrow. He is a CSP in training. ;)

Mister Disney
02-20-2006, 02:56 PM
If you and Kevin find yourselves woefully lacking in children I have one you can borrow. He is a CSP in training. ;)
I think your son is cool...so yes...we'd take him for a time......when you wanna off load him?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

nwdisgal
02-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Mister Disney - Well we know who we're going to talk to when we need advice about staying at GF. I ate at the cafe there (one of the best meals I had at Disney) and the place intrigued me.

glass slipper girl
02-20-2006, 05:02 PM
CSP...I like it! :teeth: I hope I fit that profile. :) When a good friend came out to me in college and had this look on his face like he was waiting for me to pull away or lose it in some way. I remember saying "I can't say that I understand it because I myself have never had those feelings towards someone of the same gender but I also don't like tomatos and you do. ;) Just because we are different doesn't mean I think any less of you. I'm not offended that you are gay, I'm only offended that you thought I might be offended by that. You are my friend, I just want you to be happy and if this is what makes you happy, then it makes me happy for you."

When DH and I got married the first house we lived in we had a lesbian couple next door on one side, a single gay man on the other side and a gay couple across the street. Right now I live with "typical American families" on both sides and if I could trade my current neighbors in for the ones I had in that neighborhood, I'd be much happier. :) They joked with us that we were the "token heteros" (we bought the house from a gay couple). We had many evenings at dinner parties where we were the only straight couple there.

I never really thought to say "several of my good friends are gay" any more than "several of my good friends are brunette." It didn't/doesn't matter...they are just my friends. :sunny:

jackskellingtonsgirl
02-20-2006, 06:39 PM
I think your son is cool...so yes...we'd take him for a time......when you wanna off load him?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'll have to check his calendar and let you know when he is available. :teeth:

HappyLawyer
02-20-2006, 07:21 PM

i have one too but i won't lie to you she is
Rosemary's other baby, i don't know how i got her.

Mister Disney
02-21-2006, 04:14 AM
:lmao: :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks so much for the offer, but I "think" I'll have to pass

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Blueberry
02-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Count me as one of the CSP who checks out this forum often as there are so many CGP (Cool Gay People) on this board and a lot of good info!!!... :sunny:

bubie2.5
02-21-2006, 06:13 AM

:lmao:

nliedel
02-21-2006, 07:51 AM
I must have edited this a thousand times now. Thought and re-thought this post. I am just letting it go. It may get me berated but it is what it is.

I'm a CSP with, what I suspect, is a gay son. Oh I don't know for sure. Heck, truth here, if he is not gay I will eat dog food. I don't care either way but I think I have always known. How can I be anything but a CSP for my boy? If he is straight then fine, I will happily eat my dog chow and move on. I am for him no matter who he is (don't ask me how I know, I just do). If he is gay then the world is not going to be all for him. He is going to have enough stress from the outside so he is not going to get any from me or his Dad.

BTW, he does not know how I feel (my husband also believes I am right on this). It's just an interesting thing we are watching to see how it develops and no, I will not tell you which one it is.

I know this may make no sense to some people and again, I could be wrong as wrong can be. He might grow up to the the only straight one but again, I am willing to eat dog food for a reason.

We shall see.

T&KHayes
02-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I do not think you are weird for thinking this, nor do I think you should be berated for this comment. I am also a mom who thinks her son could very well be gay. Fortunately I am also gay so hopefully with him growing up knowing first hand that we are ok with it will help him, if he is, to be able to just be himself. Of course, I am not labeling him, or saying any of this to him, but when he gets older if it becomes more apparent, I will definately talk to him and let him know that we love him just the same and that it's ok to be yourself! I wonder if my parents ever had an inkling, I wish if they did they would have old me it was ok. It sure would have helped me to come out of the closet and live my life a lot sooner. :thumbsup2

True North
02-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Really?? No flames here, just more a fair bit of suprise. Both of you think you can tell from this early age? I never would have guessed! I guess I always had mostly female friends from a very young age. Hmmmm.... You learn something new every day!

nliedel, I also wanted to say I love the quote in your signature! Stuff like that usually doesn't do anything for me, but I saw a post from you on another board, and I even wrote it down. I think I have had a boring streak going on, and it was a small motivation. Thanks!

toto2
02-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Wow ! Lot's of nice people here !

I dont check for a few days , and sudenly , all these CSP and CGP !

nliedel, dont worry ! No flames here either ! But I will just add that , we ( even us gay people) expect boys to behave a certain way and girls another , and when they dont , we ask ourselfs tons of questions. When we will one stop asking our sons and daughters to be "boys" and "gilrs" , maybe more straight boys will be more sensitive , less competitve , closer to there feelings and not afraid to show them , cry watching movies and be expert cook ! And more girle wont think twice about becoming plummers ( the pay is soo good , I wonder not more single mothers do it !) (..and who said I was not a victim of preconceived ideas :) )

When the less "feminate" gay ( I hate the word and my command of english doest not permit me a lot nuance !) will start to be trully out in the world , the definitions of masculinity will change drasticly.

My sister in law often tell me in conversation "...but with you it does not show !" and mean it as compliment ! And I get mad at her ( I should tell her someday !) because I did not do anything to be like this. I have the luxury of going about my life without stares. But it is the more effeminate man , the transvestites , the transexuals , the really "butch" lesbians who paved they way for us. They didnot have the luxury of invisibilty, they are ones who got to prison , or were beaten , or killed because of who they were , and ultimatly , they were the ones who said : ENOUGH. Without there suffering , and there strengh , I would be nowere today with my same-sex marriage etc.

How did I got so far in my toughts? :confused3

Tinky
02-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Just two things...
BIG :hug: to all Cool Staight People and Cool Gay People who JUST LOVE their children, families and each other!!! YEA!!! :grouphug:

Also...True North... that little guy is adorable!! I have a 8 month yo DS who has cheeks for days as well! Goodness, your little one is cute!

Enjoy!

jackskellingtonsgirl
02-21-2006, 02:00 PM
:hug: Hugs to the moms wondering about their little guys!

I stated earlier that DS9 is a CSP in training, but in fact I don't know that at all, do I? He could easily be gay. My friends tease me that their parents all shook their heads and said "Where did we go wrong?" when they found out their child was gay. They say I will shake my head and say "Where did I go wrong?" if my DS is straight. I will be sad for him if he is gay because the U.S. is so hateful towards our GLBT citizens. But that is the ONLY reason I would be sad. Beyond that, I would upgrade my HRC membership to Federal Club, start my own chapter of PFLAG, and forge ahead!

DS is so lucky to have dozens of outstanding gay men in his life! If he is gay I hope he won't think twice about coming out.

The VAST majority of my gay friends (the guys, at least) tell me they knew they were gay by the time they were 9. Even if they couldn't put a word to it, they knew. I imagine DS knows already if he is gay or straight, he just hasn't ever mentioned it to me. Really he doesn't show much interest in girls or boys. He is too busy making home videos of his action figures battling each other - usually suspended with fishing line for that realistic "flying" effect! :rotfl:

nliedel
02-21-2006, 04:05 PM
tot2, if it was his playign with dolls (no big deal) alone I would be all understanding that kids go through stages. A crossdresser does not a gay person make. It's not that. It's something. I cannot define it. Not that he is attracted to same sex people already (he is. he wants to marry his friend Levi when he grows up) it's.. I cannot put my finger on it and I knew it from the first time I held him. Sound nuts? Maybe it is. Again I am all good, and so is my husband either way. The older he gets tho the more I am getting confirmation. Not the gender roles, but something else. He plays with action figures and will try on my shoes and clomp around. All pretty normal for a kid his age.

I have long envisioned this kid possibly coming out to Gene and I. He will probably agonize for ages then have a hard time telling us and we will say, "Oh, well that's great son, what can we do to help you be happy?" I just want to see his jaw drop. Just once. Nothing else phases him!

nliedel
02-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Really?? No flames here, just more a fair bit of suprise. Both of you think you can tell from this early age? I never would have guessed! I guess I always had mostly female friends from a very young age. Hmmmm.... You learn something new every day!

nliedel, I also wanted to say I love the quote in your signature! Stuff like that usually doesn't do anything for me, but I saw a post from you on another board, and I even wrote it down. I think I have had a boring streak going on, and it was a small motivation. Thanks!

Thanks.

I knew I was straight when I was 6. I was all about boys from a VERY early age, much to one of my kindergarten classmates dismay since I developed a hopeless crush (he was my BF for a week but dumped me for Travy Byce. Horrible!)

I have several gay friends and they knew from early ages. My son has already asked me a lot of questions about if it's OK to "like" boys... that was not what it was. I don't know how I know, or *if* I know. He might be straight. I am frequently wrong, but not usually about my boys (to my credit). I can go down the line, Straight, straight, gay, straight. Sounds like I am trivializing it and I am not. Again it does not matter to me, as my mom said "Gay, straight, whatever, just find love, it's all pretty rare". The only thing that worries me is if he is, well it's a hard life. I have lost gay friends to Aids (yes I know it's in all communities now but not in the 80's when I buried several close friends, including a HS boyfriend) seen them abused verbally and physically, watched people hurt people because of who they are attracted to. So much fear for something you are, I believe, born being. I never want anything to hurt my boys. OK crying Mommy is going to make dinner now.

True North
02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Awwww Nliedel, you sound like a wonderful mother! :hug:

I have trouble knowing what to say, becuase our two countries are so diffrent regarding gay rights. I do want to say though that things keep getting better. Social change does not happen fast, but things are changing quickly for the GLTB community. When I was in highschool it would be pretty tough to be out and I was there only ten years ago, but in that quick amount of time Gay-Straight alliances emerged, same-sex marriage became legal, and TV shows started featuring gay characters. In another ten years things can only keep getting better. I haven't had to fight the same fight those even 10 years my senior did. If your son is gay, there will be tough times, but you don't have to think his life would be the same as that of your gay friends in the 80s. I can only hope he has a open wonderful life!

Saxton
02-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Nliedel - your boys are adorable! That's why this thread is so wonderful - people coming together over an issue that should be a non-issue. Hopefully when all of today's kids grow up we'll be able to say "what was the big deal?" ... but until then we have to teach the next generation to be more open and accepting.

Funny story - someone I know thinks her son might be 'light in the loafers' as she puts it (she's a lesbian so she's fine with it). Well a few years ago he was obsessed with license plates from various states and when they would be out driving somewhere he would always point them out. For some reason known only to himself he came to a realization that there were gay people in Texas - who knows where that came from. One day they were driving around and he saw 2 guys in a car and he got all excited and said "Look Mom, they must be gay!!!". She didn't see the license plate so she asked him why and of course he replied "because they're from Texas!" I'm sure Bush wouldn't be too happy to hear that!

PhotobearSam
02-22-2006, 08:24 AM
I am from a really small town on the east coast of Canada...it has 640 people...I told you it was small. :rotfl:

I have know many gay people but none who are "OUT" and none who have ever said to me that they were gay. It's still very closeted here. When 2 men or 2 women are together for decades, you asume but not one person says so.

My best example is my aunt Diana...She and Linda have been together for 20 years. Nobody in our family actually says anything but Linda comes to Christmas Dinner and family functions. I think it's great. I actually like her more than my aunt... :teeth:

Well, last year my nieces were given the job at X-mas to hand out our family's presents to our guest. Well, when it came time for Linda's gift, I told my niece that it was for AUNT LINDA...Linda was shocked but all smiles. When I go to see her at the hospital where she works, I ask to see my aunt Linda.

I know that we are a small community of many small minds, but to me it is the respect between 2 people that is important in a relationship not the sexes of the partners.

I hope that someday, people would feel free to be themselves.

I have to admit that I really envy people who are out and proud as I think it's must be so freeing. I think LOVE is beautiful in all it's forms. pixiedust:

edited to add: A lot of people are shocked when they see our box sets of the queer as folk DVD's we have but I am soooooo addicted to Brian Kinney that I have them out all the time... :hyper: I like the fact that it always starts a conversation even if it's a weird one... :hyper2:

RickinNYC
02-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Hey Sam!!! Good to see you back on the boards!

debster812
02-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I hope Rick will vouch for my CSP status!

My dearest cousin was inadvertandly 'outed' when his partner's father passed away and my cousin was mentioned in the obit. To say the 'stuff' hit the fan in my family is an understatement (his mom is a conservative, elderly, Irish Catholic). I got some great advice from Rick, had a great dinner and conversation with my cousin, and I am now getting a card from him about once every 3 weeks or so, thanking me for my love and understanding. (everyone, all together now, awwwww)

RickinNYC
02-28-2006, 08:34 AM
I hope Rick will vouch for my CSP status!

My dearest cousin was inadvertandly 'outed' when his partner's father passed away and my cousin was mentioned in the obit. To say the 'stuff' hit the fan in my family is an understatement (his mom is a conservative, elderly, Irish Catholic). I got some great advice from Rick, had a great dinner and conversation with my cousin, and I am now getting a card from him about once every 3 weeks or so, thanking me for my love and understanding. (everyone, all together now, awwwww)

Hey Deb! :woohoo: Haven't seen you on the DIS in a while.

And yep, I can vouch for her CSP status in spades!

debster812
02-28-2006, 08:41 AM
RIck--it's been crazed, and I just had to 'suffer' through a 13 day vacation in WDW and Ft Meyers. :lmao:

DisneyDotty
02-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Try to live my life as a CSP (also agree that there is some discussion over whether I am "cool!") Constantly challenge neighbors/friends with their hurtful/disparaging comments about homosexuality. Was really disappointed with 2004 Presidential campaign on both sides--time is NOW for a Presidential candidate who is in strong support of Gay Rights! Am nervously (what do I wear? I am such a suburban schlub of a mom!) and eagerly awaiting attending a friend's commitment ceremony next month in a posh downtown club. Lovingly support my gay family members.
And DH and I are doing our best to raise two CSP (again, who knows about the "S" part at this stage of the game?!) children. It is our duty as parents to do so. :sunny:

brerrabbit
02-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Try to think of myself as a "CSP". Or should I say I try to act like a "CSP". I have had Gay friends since college and knew quite a few through my wife in college as well. Society trys very hard at times to keep people from being accepting. I am active in my church and there are times when I hear comments from other members that really make me wonder if they really do "get it" when it comes to God's message to us about acceptance and true love for our fellow humans. My views and theirs don't always agree but I just smile and say God loves us all.

mannasn
02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
<---formerly a CSP... until I decided I don't like "labels." :rotfl:

majortom
03-02-2006, 07:02 AM

This is so true. None of my friends kids care about this issue at all. The daughter of a friend who lives in Naperville (a Western suburb of Chicago) is a CSP that is active in her High School's Gay Straight Alliance. That there is even a Gay Straight Alliance there (Chicago's own bible belt) says how much things have changed.

/carmi

Rachael Q
03-03-2006, 01:26 AM
I agree so much with what has been said on this thread. I am straight and happily married to my husband of 6 1/2 years.

One of my closest girlfriends is lesbian, and in August 2005 I flew to London, UK for her commitment ceremony. It was so great to see her (and her partner) so happy - they waited a long time to find each other. Their ceremony was beautiful. There was a lot of thought and personal touches in their ceremony. I was also so happy to see over 100 people there to help them celebrate and each guest so genuinely thrilled for them.

I think back to over 10 years ago when we first met, and a mutual friend of ours no longer keeps in touch with either of us, because she is not comfortable. It's sad that we both lost a friend, but we both respected her choice.

I admire gay or lesbian couples or adopt or have children, a same sex family can face so many more challenges. My local friends, have adopted a boy and a girl, and both children and parents have faced some tough times, but they have also had very wonderful times. Both kids are proud of their two mums (13 and 6) and deal with prejudice or discrimination graciously for a pair so young.

Love is so hard to find and keep, that I think it should be celebrated no matter if its straight, gay, lesbian or transgender love.

TrueNorth, I wish you, Will and Mark many, many years of happiness, laughter and love.

Mister Disney - I have been reading all your dining reports for days now. I just found them recently. Now I just have to talk DH into dining with an imagineer in April.

jekajekalynn
03-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi there :goodvibes This is my first post on this section of the boards.

I think I'm a CSP. :thumbsup2

My best friend that I have had since high school is a lesbian, and she is very praising to me sometimes in the fact that out of all her original so called friends in highschool, I was the ONLY one who accepted her when she came out. Everyone else shyed away from her like she had a disease, and that they would catch 'the gay' or something.... :rolleyes:
(also keep in mind we went to school in a conservative southern highschool....)

She got ridiculed a lot in highschool, but I stayed with her as a true friend would do through thick and thin..even when my own sexuality was constantly questioned because I dared to have a friend who was a homosexual... :rolleyes1

We still keep in touch, because after all she's the best friend a girl could have. :cloud9:

SyracuseWolvrine
03-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I consider myself to be a CSP ... I tend to be the person all my friends come to for relationship advice, and regardless of whether its a gay or straight relationship, I usually have some advice to offer. Personally, I feel that sexual orientation doesn't matter ... yes, sometimes I'll use it as an identifier maybe to distinguish between 2 folks with the same name, but only if other identifiers don't work (ie both have black hair or something)

I know cool people of all orientations, and I know jerks of all orientations. Either way, we're all humans, right?

Diva of Dragons
03-06-2006, 04:19 AM
Hi All!!

CSP here! We could be a co-ed fraternity...Chi Sigma Pi! Sorry, couldn't resist! I guess I haven't paid much attention to the DIS recently because I just noticed this board. Anyway, I'm 41 and have been married to DH (also a CSP...well, OK, he was a band geek in H.S. ;) LOL!)for 15 years.

I've always had gay friends, male and female, and I absolutely adore the ones I have in my life now!! Not that my straight friends aren't just as adorable but I've come to really appreciate the courage it takes for GLBT people to live truly open and free lives!

I consider myself very fortunate because I was raised by my Mom & Grandma who always accepted everyone just the way they were!!! The only things, to this day, that make my Mom's blood boil are lies and any form of prejudice! One of my fondest memories of my Grandma (who passed last year) is from high school. There was one totally out guy in our theatre group (theatre...anti-cool red flag :rolleyes1 ) who had a boyfriend from another school. One day, my Grandma was sewing one of my costumes and she was all excited because Steve was going to bring his mysterious guy to the wrap party and she wanted to know all about him. This was in 1980! As it turned out, the boyfriend was a guy that always flirted with me in Jr. high!! LOL!!!! Go figure!

I guess I was always kind of naive when it came to any bigotry. Then I met DH's parents! I'll spare the details but.... I wasn't the right religion....chaos ensued... :confused3 blah, blah, blah...............

Anyway, I'm all about peace. I know it sounds trite but, seriously, I believe we are all connected so, if even one person isn't allowed to be at peace with who they are, how can they be at peace with the world?
We all lose! I'm for all of us winning! :grouphug: Oh wait, I need this one too... :hippie: LOL!!

OK....I've babbled long enough! I'll sum up with ..yay, I'm glad I noticed this board and I'll be back!! :love:

GEM
03-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi! :wave2:

I'm another who would really like to think I'm a "CSP" . . .

although "cool" is not usually a word I associate with myself and I'm sure my students would die before they'd call me a "cool" anything! :crazy:

Anyway, I hate to come on here and say "I have a lot of gay friends," because . . . well, you know how lame that sounds.

I guess it's the truth, though. My two closest friends here in town are both gay men. (I work in the theater department of university campus, so straight people are actually in the minority at work!) DH and I also vacation regularly with one of those guys and his partner. We've been all over the world together as couples and had some really wonderful trips!

Also, my cousin (who is more like a sister in my heart) is a lesbian and she and her partner are the ones that DH and I have appointed as legal guardians for Paul should anything happen to both of us. When making that choice, her sexuality never even entered the equation. We love them, they love us, and they and Paul ADORE each other. We have no doubt that they would raise him in the way we would want him to be raised. It was a natural choice.

My son is growing up with lots of gay people in his life - single people as well as loving long-term couples. Right now, at two, he sees all of that as totally natural. For him, seeing two men or two women holding hands is as normal as seeming mommy and daddy do the same thing. I really hope it stays that way. I hope that, by the time he's grown up, there won't be any such thing as "CSPs" - because acceptance and understanding will be so common that most everybody will be "cool"!

As for me, it just honestly boggles my mind to see people get in such an uproar over who somebody loves. :confused3 I honestly don't get it. If you can find someone you love, who will love you back and make you happy, then you've found a real gift. Why should it matter what gender that person is any more than it matters what race or religion they are or if they're short, fat, tall, skinny, etc?

I keep telling myself I'm not going to get drawn into any more debates on the DIS, but, when it comes to gay issues, nursing in public, and a woman's right to make decisions regarding her own body - I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut. :rolleyes1

I'm done rambling now. Carry on. :teeth:

princess pooh
03-15-2006, 09:13 PM
I actually come from a long line of CSP's and I'm proud of it :thumbsup2. I'm looking forward to raising some little CSP's one day too.

Disneydreaming6
03-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I have been sitting here trying to think of something funny, cool, neat to say, but nothing has come to me yet. Just wanted to say As a cSP ( def nothing cool) noooo, nope, nadda and my dd would attest to that, and which you could tell by yourself since I wasn't able to come with anything cool to say. So i thought I would just say I am so sorry you have had to endure rude and mean remarks by some people. Who cares who you love. If you are blessed to have a child in your life. Great. I just don't understand how some people think a gay couple can't raise a family. Personally I am more worried about their kids since they have no problem teaching hate and intolerance for other people. And what really gets me, is, they call themselves good christian people. Sorry thats a whole nother topic.

IlluminationsUK
03-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Just wanted to say "yay" to all the CSP's!

Marmus
03-17-2006, 02:39 PM
I am new to this site and posting, so I thought I would check out this forum to see if I could score any Disney tips. Great topic that got me thinking about our last trip to Disney that enabled me to talk to DD (2) about "all kinds of families". Waiting in a MASSIVE line with us one night were a "Daddy" and a "Papa" with two sweet boys of another race. Trying to keep DD happy, I got the Magna Doodle out of the diaper bag and the two little guys next to us were all about it! So DD scribbled with the boys while DH and I made small talk with the parents. Out of the middle of nowhere, one of the boys says to me "I do not have a Mommy, but two Daddies". I told him how great that was and that I did not have a Mommy (anymore), just one Daddy now too. DD was taking it all in! Line moves, we say good bye and I think that is the end. Later DD said "that little boy has a lot of Daddies". Thus starting our talk about "all kinds of families." We went through all the possible combos, just Grandma, two Mommies, two Daddies, etc.. And from time to time, she will tell me about families and who is in them, always bringing up families with two mommies or two daddies. I feel so happy we were able to have that experience so early in her life and in a way see could see it in action. Being from Indianapolis, I am not sure she would have met that family here. And the fact that her early memories of it will be of a happy, loving family that was the same as ours. Two parents, with two kids, going broke at Disney. ;) So it is imprinted in her mind now that a "family" does not always look like her own. I wonder if we would have been lucky enough to meet them anywhere else but Disney. (We have gay friends that our kids know, but none with children. ) Just one of those great life lessons learned at Disney.

Aidensmom
03-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Just saying Hi :wave2: Don't really have a story to tell or anything, but I do think it was a great idea to have this board added here.

vettechick99
03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey all! :wave:

Just wondering, anyone booze or grub up in here? Anyone..anyone?

:teeth:

:drinking1

jackskellingtonsgirl
03-24-2006, 02:34 PM
VetteChick -

Have you met my friend Mister Disney? Not sure how he is at grubbin', but he hosts a darn good nosh! ;)

Viki
03-24-2006, 02:50 PM

Friends???? Mike??? Sue???? Penny???? Anyone want to fill Vettechick in on my martini affliction?

Hey, friend, as I've said, we'd love to host your continuing trip report over here - just say the word and we'll see what we can do.

PennyW
03-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Anyone want to fill Vettechick in on my martini afflcition?
No affliction, just a thirst for good gin/vodka! Speaking of adult beverages, it's almost margarita time! Happy Friday everyone! :teeth:

Hi Vettechick - I'm addicted to your reports. They are absolutely hilarious! All members of the DIS should take up a collection so we can send you guys on another trip!

Viki
03-24-2006, 04:13 PM
No affliction, just a thirst for good gin/vodka! Speaking of adult beverages, it's almost margarita time! Happy Friday everyone! :teeth:

Hi Vettechick - I'm addicted to your reports. They are absolutely hilarious! All members of the DIS should take up a collection so we can send you guys on another trip!

Hey, Penny, catch up with this - I already had three gold margaritas for lunch (when in Mexico) and, yes, that was with another pastor!!!

And, now, what am I doing? I'm on my way to meet my babe for one of those *afflictions* (always vodka, darlin') and a burger (with blue cheese in both) at the local pub to cheer on Vill-A- NO-VA!!!

Have a good one!

And, come on, everyone - talk Vettechick into switching teams (on the disboards folks, just on the disboards). We like Kory too!

Viki
03-24-2006, 08:06 PM
OK, I'm home and I have to confess that after 3 Margiritas for lunch there was no way I could look at anything stronger than diet coke for dinner. I am such a wimp. Mea culpa.

Saxton
03-25-2006, 07:12 AM

Viki - I think she came to the right place!! Let's see - I'm heading down tomorrow and right now I'm thinking about what I'm going to be eating and drinking for the next few days, a few of us had a mini-meet at the Rose and Crown, and we tend to talk alot about 'beverages' ... yup, you'll fit right in.

Mama Twinkles
03-25-2006, 08:59 AM
What's the food equivalent of a dirty martini? It's gotta be something you kick back with. It should speak of worldly grittiness, of really having lived, but also of refinement, of knowing better despite what one has chosen to endure. It should also be slightly naughty and ironic, indulgent yet bittersweet. It's what Humphrey Bogart or Greta Garbo would nosh on after someone had walked out on them. Maybe caviar on a stale Ritz cracker?

Viki
03-25-2006, 09:04 AM
What's the food equivalent of a dirty martini? It's gotta be something you kick back with. It should speak of worldly grittiness, of really having lived, but also of refinement, of knowing better despite what one has chosen to endure. It should also be slightly naughty and ironic, indulgent yet bittersweet. It's what Humphrey Bogart or Greta Garbo would nosh on after someone had walked out on them. Maybe caviar on a stale Ritz cracker?

Wow! What she said!

Viki
03-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Viki - I think she came to the right place!! Let's see - I'm heading down tomorrow and right now I'm thinking about what I'm going to be eating and drinking for the next few days, a few of us had a mini-meet at the Rose and Crown, and we tend to talk alot about 'beverages' ... yup, you'll fit right in.

Sue - have a great trip and keep us informed!

Elfstar
03-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Another CSP here! What matters is the quality of relationships, not the gender of the partners! :goodvibes

PennyW
03-27-2006, 09:14 AM
(always vodka, darlin') Viki - how did I not know that?? What's your vodka of choice? We had a few Tecates on Friday night, then a nice smooth Patron Silver margarita ... yum ;)

mbb
04-07-2006, 08:32 PM
How about a belle Acadienne to join the French Club?? :teeth: :teeth:

...and joining the Boozin' and Grubbin' Club, the Madonna Tour Club...the Canadian CSP's are here to *represent*!!

:sunny:

momsgoofy
04-07-2006, 10:39 PM
:wave: Hi everyone!

Like I posted on another thread about this subject...wow! I didn't even know that I had an acronym to use...CSP...all of the GLBT friends I've had have always just called me friend, but, I'm happy to use CSP... :goodvibes

Okay, since we've been telling the stories about our family friends, I'll share some of my story. The first boy I was ever allowed to go to the movie with back in 6th grade is gay. I knew it then and I am pretty sure that he did, but he didn't come out to me until we were in our second year of college...he handed me a rum and coke, sat me down on the sofa and said, "I've gotta tell you something really important...." We were both so happy he was finally out that we drank to his happiness. Unfortunately, our lives have gone separate ways and I often wonder how he is doing now...

When I became a single mom after divorcing whatshisname I went back to school and my last year I had to interpret a speech by one of the first year students in my program whose topic was "Deaf Gay Community" and outing herself to her classmates at the same time. It was an awesome speech and a great learning experience for all! With the last move we both made, I'd lost touch with her and her partner, but was thrilled when I get an email a couple of months ago from them to find out they are settled into life as an old married couple...I miss them and think about a road trip north from time to time.

I don't know how cool I am... :rolleyes: especially in the eyes of my DS who's almost 14...he thought I was over doing it on our trip last June during GayDays. I had made my own tshirt to show support...a grey shirt with red lettering that said, "Where's the Family Reunion?" I just wanted to show my support in a subtle way since red is my favorite color any ol' day.

Okay...now that I've gabbed too long it's time to go...just wanna add....happy to be part of the big DIS family. :grouphug:

jenelope
04-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Well, I hope I'm a CSP, otherwise I'd have some 'splaining to do to my sister, my brother, and their respective partners. I always knew I was the weird one in my family. It's nice to know that it means I get an acronym, too! (My sister says she's a "bad lesbian" because she can never remember LGBT!)

I'm still trying to figure out the "chicken and egg" relationship between my gay family and my gay friends. I don't know if I gravitate toward gay friends because I have gay siblings, but I sure seem to have a lot of both! And I'm glad that I have them because my life would be less than it is without their friendship and love.

swtnikki
04-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I've posted in this thread a couple of times. Just wanted to say that I'm not gay, but I completly support the lifestyle. I have a couple of gay friends, & for me, it's not whether you're gay or not, but what kind of person you are. I only hope that everyone sees that someday.

Anyway, with that said, I'm proud to be a CSP. :)

pepperw23
04-10-2006, 05:53 PM
:wave: Hi everyone!

I don't know how cool I am... :rolleyes: especially in the eyes of my DS who's almost 14...he thought I was over doing it on our trip last June during GayDays. I had made my own tshirt to show support...a grey shirt with red lettering that said, "Where's the Family Reunion?" I just wanted to show my support in a subtle way since red is my favorite color any ol' day.

Okay...now that I've gabbed too long it's time to go...just wanna add....happy to be part of the big DIS family. :grouphug:

haha. You are silly. :thumbsup2 . I know how you feel, I have two teens and I am the biggest "dork" to walk the face of the earth. lol. Love the T-Shirt idea. I would wear one with pride.

BTW, love the fact that we have a "term" now CSP. That in itself makes us cool man. :thumbsup2

pepperw23
04-10-2006, 05:55 PM
I've posted in this thread a couple of times. Just wanted to say that I'm not gay, but I completly support the lifestyle. I have a couple of gay friends, & for me, it's not whether you're gay or not, but what kind of person you are. I only hope that everyone sees that someday.

Anyway, with that said, I'm proud to be a CSP. :)

HEY!!! (sorry loud)

We should have T-shirts made!! Our little inside Dis secret!!!

MELISAZACK
04-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm a CSP- family and friends in the community! you all go! I too try and teach my ds7 they are no different than us....I must also say that some of my G&L friends/family treat my family better than others...I find most to be more helpful and respectful than stright people! :cool1: :grouphug:

Torjohnson
04-25-2006, 12:06 PM
CSP.
I have been involved in theatre for 33 years, and most of my close friends are gay. I teach high school, and write plays about all kinds of things, including homophobia and the aids quilt. I have become somewhat of a champion of human rights at our school.
I am saddened that my family won"t be able to go to gay days. My son and wife have been in pride parades, and my son loves everyone. We will be doing our first wdw trip later in June.
I guess I am writing to thank you for writing your thread. When I think of the amount of joy I have by the diversity in my life, I really feel like I should be thanking you.
Do people really write bad stuff on these board?
I am longing for the day where we no longer have to be CSP or CGP but just be CP :cheer2: :woohoo: :firefight pixiedust: :charac2: :dancer:

smoof
04-27-2006, 09:00 PM
You have such a beautiful baby!

CSP is such a better term then the rest I have been called.

Innocuous1
04-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi,

This is a nice thread. I have only bit off both ends so far.

I'm going to assume that quite a few 'CSP's' are parents. Our kids are tact impaired (blame us, I guess), and at the age where sex is the funniest idea ever invented. An extension of that is that GAY is absolutey hilarious. Should we redouble our efforts at behavioral modification or just hope the acquaintences will understand?

MissMichelle
05-06-2006, 09:08 AM
I hope I am viewed as a CSP! :) I work with, and am very close to, 4 gay men, and also have met MANY wonderful beautiful and just down right caring lesbians. If anyone viewed my myspace page they would know how much I support gay rights.
I love that this board here has such a wonderful community where the support seems to flow freely. I read here as often as I can, mostly to get AWAY from negative threads on the main boards and to jump into peace and openess.
So thanks to the GLTB community for also letting us straight (but not in my dreams uh-oh lol) people into your lives ;)

2sweetangels
05-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Im a CSP and like I said on another thread here on this board, being gay is just a life style not a disease or something as many people would look at it that way. I got upset when I read about someone being afraid to take her children to Gay Day's at Disney and it upsetted me, you cannot hide your children from the world. I have a Gay uncle who lives with his BF and I have a very good friend thats Gay and he is so cool to be around and he loves my DD's to death. I was raised not to hate and my DD's will be raised the same.

CrazyChik
05-08-2006, 03:28 PM
hey hey hey,

finally a nice thread im soo fed up of telin peepz that gays are people as well. i wunda if i count as a csp i dnt hav any gays or lesbians in my family a few of my frnds r tho n theyre all mega nice n fun 2 b with.

:Pinkbounc CRAZIEST CHIK IN THE WORLD :Pinkbounc :bounce: :yay: :cheer2: :banana: