PDA

View Full Version : Live from the Magic, 2/4 to 2/11/2006

MarcyIn Florida
02-06-2006, 09:22 AM
After a couple of very chilly days on the eastern, today is looking up and the weather is bee-u-tiful, even for a Floridian!

We had an amazing DIS get together thanks to BillinAZ, and a great brunch for 9 of us at Palo yesterday.

My shorts are already too tight, and I think I'll be pulling out the elastic waistbands soon! :confused3

lbgraves
02-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Glad that it has warmed up for you! Hope the great weather continues. :)

maminnie
02-06-2006, 09:59 AM
So glad to hear that the weather is warming up.

We are going on the eastern in a few weeks and the packing has been far more difficult than April cruising as it sounds like you can encounter cool days this time of year. I keep telling the people we are travellling with that they need to be prepared for just about anything except snow! It's making me crazy as I don't like to take too much and I'm not one for doing wash on a cruise.

How cool and/or windy was it during your day at sea yesterday (Sunday)? Was it warm enough to be out on the pool and upper decks? How were the seas? Was it cold in PC and during the sail away party?

Hoping you continue having warm weather and calm seas. :sunny: :sunny:

Happy cruising and thanks so much for posting and for your help,

maminnie

disneylover5
02-06-2006, 10:08 AM
We sailed last week and we were sooooooooooooooooooooo lucky to have perfect weather. We even swam when we were in Port Can. I hope you cruise is as awesome as ours was!!
Lisa

disneylady
02-06-2006, 10:38 AM
We were on the Magic. The weather could not have been better. The seas were rough our first night. We handled it well with Bonine, but others in our party waited a little late to medicate and they felt pretty lousy.

The temperatures in every port were perfect. Had it been any warmer, we would have miserable.

On the decks, if you sit in the shade, you might get chilly. But if you sit in the sun, you'll warm up nicely. I was pale as a ghost and now my face is so tan that I don't need foundation and the tops of my feet are so pretty and brown. The great part is that it's not hot enought to break out in a sweat, which is the part I hate.

Castaway Cay was windy, overcast, and slightly chilly in the morning. But as the day went on, it was heavenly. I snorkeled and had a great time. Once you step into the water, it's chilly, but as another DIS member said, you will get used to it. I think it's just our bodies being in shock that we're standing in an ocean in January. :cool1:

ddavis860
02-07-2006, 06:36 AM
We were on the Magic last week...

Hope that things warm up :sunny: and you have calm seas :boat: and a wonderful rest of your cruise!!! :wizard:

budwmn
02-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the trip report. Hope the weather continues to be warm and sunny! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

allears
02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
marcy, great to read that you're back on board the ship. We wish you a very awesome trip.

MarcyIn Florida
02-08-2006, 04:20 AM
We are going on the eastern in a few weeks and the packing has been far more difficult than April cruising as it sounds like you can encounter cool days this time of year. I keep telling the people we are travellling with that they need to be prepared for just about anything except snow! It's making me crazy as I don't like to take too much and I'm not one for doing wash on a cruise.

How cool and/or windy was it during your day at sea yesterday (Sunday)? Was it warm enough to be out on the pool and upper decks? How were the seas? Was it cold in PC and during the sail away party?

I wouldn't fret over packing -- I think regular cruise wear plus a fleece works just fine, even for my kids, who have never been in non-Florida weather before.

It was windy on deck at sea, but not so cold to stop my kids from swimming.

It WAS very cold at 6 am on deck 9 when my daughter woke up and wanted to run . . . but that's why coffee and hot chocolate are free. :love:

It was not particularly cold at the sail away party, especially with the crowds! And, quite frankly, we were on the Magic, so we weren't paying much attention tothe weather! :goodvibes

MarcyIn Florida
02-08-2006, 04:30 AM
Day 5

Funny how I have no interest in being ont he internet while on the Magic! :rotfl2: We all swore we'd do trip reports, but no one seems to be doing them. Hmmmmm.

Went to St. Maarten yesterday -- one of the few islands I've never visited. The weather was off and on -- we had some beautiful weather in the morning, then it was rainy for a good portion of the day. We didn't do excursions (dd3 isn't old enough for most of them), but we bought all day water taxi bands, which is a great bargain for anyone who wants to see the island in a casual way.

We wanted to do an out of the way trip, but had some difficultygetting a taxi, oddly enough. We read that as karma and decided to go back to the boat for lunch and a nap. :rotfl: That ended up being a good bet because it allowed the kids to stay up for the pirate party, which was as high energy as a Wiggles concert. (I'd say a Stones concert, but I'd be lying if I said I've been to a real concert in years.) The pirate party is a must-go, especially with kids, which was surprising to me. Oh, and my husband would mention the very attractive women in pirate wench outfits, but as a family board, I'll stop there.

Today is St. Thomas and the morning customs check. I thought I'd be smart and work out beforehand (at 5), but the fitness club doesn't open until 6:30. (Of course, this proves that I haven't been there yet.) I don't know if I'll ever recover from our binging if I don't work out today. As Mark told Sasha during our Palo brunch: "You know what I like about you? You make gluttony acceptable."

We're on for Palo dinner tonight -- we may have to bribe my dd3 to stay in the Club for 2 hours, but what's a Minnie doll in exchange for 2 hours of Sasha?

Peace,
Marcy
:hippie:

maminnie
02-08-2006, 06:15 AM
Marcyinflorida:

Glad to hear you're having a great cruise. I can't wait to get on that ship!!

Thanks for your hints about packing. I have officially given up trying to add and eliminate!! Whatever we have, we have!!

Hoping the weather is good for you the rest of your trip. :sunny:

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Enjoy Palo tonight. A night in Palo is even worth having to buy a Mickey doll too!

maminnie

BuzzBoyMom
02-09-2006, 07:01 AM
As Mark told Sasha during our Palo brunch: "You know what I like about you? You make gluttony acceptable."

I love that!!!!

dlf246
02-09-2006, 12:38 PM
maminnie

layers, layers, layers IMHO is best way to pack for cruise!

Johnna_Story
02-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Marcy - thanks for starting this thread!!! I wanted too, but like you, had no interest in being on line while on board. Not to mention, when would I have had the time?!

For whoever is interested, here is the first report from the Story Family while it's still fresh in my mind...

Saturday - woke up at the Radisson in pouring rain. Ate breakfast in Radisson in pouring rain. Mark returned rental car and returned to hotel in pouring rain. Boarded Radisson shuttle in pouring rain (okay, okay - you get it?) Thought the shuttle process would be more difficult since about half the hotel was headed to port on Saturday morning, but we were fine. (Honey, you were right!)

Arrived at terminal around 10:30 - (still raining, but not as much) and got the KTTW card. Then waited to board ship. DS took pix with Goofy and Pluto in front of ship model. Started charging to KTTW card IN TERMINAL (so much for our budget! :confused3 ) okay - it was only diet coke and chips, but still...

Boarded ship (group 2 - about 12:00) and I took kids to Parrot Cay for lunch while DH rushed to change Palo Dinner ressies and Flounders ressies (which we didn't need - more on that later). DD (almost 3) fell asleep at lunch table! Poor thing - she had a cold so the medicine was knocking her out. Went to the room about 1:40. The plan was for DS (5 1/2) to swim, but while the rain let up a bit, it wasn't enough. So he and DH went to the Dis Meet party in BillinAz's suite (THANKS BILL - hope you had a great birthday! :bday: ) while DD and I joined later after her nap. Was finally able to meet in person some of our new on-line friends!!

Hurry to lifeboat drill - here's a tip: don't let the kids blow the whistles on the lifejacket. Not only is it annoying, but they don't get sanitized... :scared:

Finally it stopped raining so we went off to the sail away party on Deck 9!!! :bounce: DS LOVED it!!! I taught him the Cha Cha Slide, and he loved the dance they did with the "I wanna know if you'll be my girl" song. As we sailed, DH got video of the CM's on the dock waving with the big Mickey Hands - good thing he did since I was busy dancing with my boy! :dancer:

Bags arrived soon before dinner, but we just went in our jeans and matching t-shirts. (Don't even think about flaming us for not changing!) Got the LAP rotation. Loved our servers - Pairoj from Thailand, and Anina from South Africa. They were wonderful with the children. Can't wait to email Anina pictures of her with my little ones. They loved her back. No way I can tell you what I ate, but it was good. I do remember the cheesecake for dessert, and of course, polishing off DD's Mickey Bar!! I've been looking forward to that since last March. :mickeybar

Back to room to unpack, and unwind!!!! Went to the opening night show with Rich Pupura and a puppeteer/marionette guy (gimme a break - I haven't unpacked the Navigators yet! :) ) Then off to bed. Way too tired to do anything else.

Okay - let me unpack my navigators, Passporters, notes, etc. and get some sleep so I can more accurately report the rest of the week.

Here's a preview: Superbowl on the Dive-In screen, rainy St. Maarten, sick in St. Thomas, great brunch and dinner at Palo, and beautiful sunny Castaway Cay. Stay tuned...

cruisecrzy
02-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Johnna Story,

When you get your Navigator's unpack can you tell me what day(s) the princess meet and greet is on the Western. We are going on the Eastern in March and wanted to do Palo Brunch on Monday, but the Navigator that is posted shows it is only on Monday. It was multiple days on our Nov. 7 day last year.

Thanks.

TigerB
02-11-2006, 10:40 PM
I can't believe we are back home. (Just in time for a blizzard here in NY.)

What a wonderful cruise. what a wonderful ship. what a wonderful experience.

Mom's surprise trip went off without a hitch the whole time...she cried and cried when she realized the first part at GF at WDW for the week prior to the ship. Then she thought it was over and she was going to see her in-laws for a week and me and DH were going home...but the limo driver distracted her with a DVD in the car and she never realized we drove right past the airport...and started crying all over again when we pulled up to the boat and we told her we were going on it.

What a trip.

Question for you guys though: we didn't go to any of the rebooking sessions...and now regret it. (We want to rebook!) Can we do it now back home - even if not mentioning to the staff on board that we might want to rebook? How long do we have? What kind of deals are there? Are they better than booking through Dreams Unlimited? (We went this time on DVC points but don't have any left!) Oh, and how far out can you book?

Also, when will we get our Castaway Club member information? I would love to go to that part of the DCL website but we don't have our # yet.

Cruising is totally in our blood now. We had a cat 11 standard inside stateroom and would totally take that room again! We loved it. Maybe it helped that we didn't shower but ONCE in the room...we were in the rainforest room every day and THAT was worth it. Phew we loved it. That's where we showered everyday...so the room was perfect for us.

I think that's all I can write now. I am still in shock we are home.

Johnna - great meeting you at Palo breakfast! i am STILL loosening my pants from that. :)

arica480
02-12-2006, 03:20 AM
I'm new to the DIS boards! I just came off the same cruise as Marcy. It was my second cruise with the Disney Magic and I had an absolute blast. The cruise staff were amazing, especially the BINGO people. A few friends and I are looking into booking a cruise for 2007 in March.

Johnna_Story
02-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Johnna Story,

When you get your Navigator's unpack can you tell me what day(s) the princess meet and greet is on the Western. We are going on the Eastern in March and wanted to do Palo Brunch on Monday, but the Navigator that is posted shows it is only on Monday. It was multiple days on our Nov. 7 day last year.

Thanks.

Didn't unpack them yet, but I remember that the princess meet and greet was on Thursday late morning (11ish?). We also met the princesses separately on various nights in the evenings when they were posing for pix and just "roaming" the ship. They are so great - asking the kids how their day was, listening to them, really engaging. And they love when the girls have their princess dresses on! princess:

Johnna_Story
02-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Stacy: it was so nice to meet you, Tim, your mom and Peter at brunch too. My kids totally loved their autograph book - you were so sweet to do that. Thanks so much.

How much snow have you gotten? We're up to a foot, and it's supposed to snow 1-4 more inches by 10:00 a.m. Quite a shock to leave Castaway Cay on Friday and have over a foot of snow today. :scared1:

Johnna_Story
02-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Time change - one hour AHEAD! Lost an hour of sleep that was sorely needed! Ordered room service for pre-breakfast - how nice to sip coffee on the verandah while we wait for some sun to break through the clouds. Didn't come during coffee time.

Our Dis Meet brunch was today, but alas, only DH and Uncle could go, since DD hadn't yet been approved to enter Oceaneer Club yet. They had a great time and Sasha as their server. DH loved Sasha so much that he requested him for our dinner on Friday night (more details on the Friday report!) So I took kids to Topsiders (I love the oatmeal - I know it's :crazy: ), saw Chicken Little in the Buena Vista, and then we went to the Mickey pool. DS jumped right in, but DD thought it was a little too cold. DH met us there and I was off to the spa!!

I love the spa!! Got the well being massage/facial combo - and man, did I need it!!! Don't remember her name, but my massage therapist really worked my neck and shoulders. It hurt, but she was great. Did I have to go back to the kids??

Took Topsiders food back to room for lunch (made to order pasta - yummy!) and DD took her nap. DS went to OC where they had "So you want to be a Pirate?" with a visit from DS's favorite - Captain Hook! He came back with his face painted. Had a great time. Had some downtime before dinner.

After dinner at Animator's Palate (our favorite restaurant, and a great show) DD's cold was catching up to her again (and spreading to me!) so we were headed back to the room, DS went to OC and DH and Uncle could go watch the superbowl on the Dive-In screen. Interruped by some rain, they went to Diversions and then back upstairs to see the World Champion Steelers reign. So happy for Steve and Tonya - the big Steeler's fans.

There is so much we didn't (or couldn't) take advantage of - just a sampling of activities today that we didn't do:
Mickey 200 - make a car out of vegetables and race it
Family Shuffleboard
Art of Entertaining - visiting chef from AK prepares Scallops and Bacon
Paper Plane Making
Sports Trivia Quiz
Mr. Toads Wild Race
Wine tasting
Ping Pong and Foosball Tournaments
Family Magic Quest scavenger hunt
BINGO - (every day)
Movies every day - Chicken Little, Glory Road, Flight Plan, Annapolis, and Cinderella on the Dive-In (aka Dumbotron!)

And the list goes on - this doesn't even touch on the evening activities. So anyone reading this that hasn't yet been on a cruise or has to convince DH or another family member who thinks they will be "stuck on a ship with nothing to do" has another think coming. We WISH we could have done more.

E&BMom
02-12-2006, 10:06 AM
TigerB...I am not 100% sure but I seem to remember them saying we had up to 1-2 weeks after the cruise to rebook. It wouldn't hurt calling and asking. Let us know what they say. Glad you had a great time and your mom sounded like she a an great experience!!!!! What a great family!!!! :woohoo:

yachtsea
02-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, we are home. I can't believe it is all behind us now. Is there therapy for this? I did mention to Steve of Steve and Tonya that it could be a new job on the ship for him (therapist.)

Anyway, what a great and relaxing trip. I will start with my trip report today on this thread. Of course we did not do any excursions but what we did do was so fun.

Here goes - We left Charlotte on Thursday afternoon. It started raining about 50 miles into our trip. And then it didn't stop. Amazing how much water came out of the sky for the next three days. We drove to Brunswick, Ga. that evening and stayed at a great Holiday Inn there. We left there Friday morning in the rain and drove down to Canaveral. We checked in at the Holiday Inn Express close to the port. We decided to hit the mall for last minute stuff and of course, I had to get some cold med. for my sore throat. Boy that Mucinex does the trick. Anyway, we shopped and then went to dinner at Carrabas in the rain.

Then the day had arrived. Oh my gosh, I looked out to check the weather - and surprise - it was raining and very windy. But who cares - we were on our way to the Magic. We got checked in and were in group 3 for the people called to getting on the ship. We sat and stared at the ship while making last minute calls to the family. Then they called the numbers. It did not take long cause they basically call 1 then 2, and 3 pretty close together.

Don't you love stepping on board and having your name called? Of course, we mentioned that it was our 30th anniversary and they announced that and people clapped. It was great. We headed immediately to Parrot Cay for lunch. We got our hand wipes (they hand them to you right from the container now) and proceeded to fill up our plates. Yummy. Then we walked around a bit to see the new things that were on the ship. I loved the outdoor movie.

We stopped by our room and then headed to the Dis meet in BillinAz's room. What a nice suite! That would be the only way I would ever see one of those. I would never be able to spend that kind of money. Just get me on the ship is the way my husband feels. We met several of the Dissers that had been talking back and forth on the boards. It was a lot of fun. We would see each other throughout the week and stop to chat or say "hello." That was fun. :wave2:

Dinner was in Lumieres that evening. We got great tablemates. They were a couple around our same age traveling alone from Iowa. It was just a nice round table for 4 and we loved it. They were so nice and we had a lot in common. I don't think we could have handpicked a better couple.

I don't remember much about Sat. night but it was great whatever we did. :cool1:

I am gonna go now and continue the mammoth unpacking and laundry chore. Yuck.

I will say though that our dog, YachtSea, is very happy to be back home. Who would ever think that a cute little poodle could be so distressed and cause such a commotion at my daughter's house. :sad:

More later.

Billinaz
02-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Then they called the numbers. It did not take long cause they basically call 1 then 2, and 3 pretty close together.

I wonder who had a 1?

We were first up the escalator that day and got a 2. Since we did not need the boarding card, I still have it......

eznunzit
02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Thank you so much for posting your reports! We can't wait for our cruise in September.

I thought I read somewhere that group one are rooms with concierge service (cat. 1-3)???

We are trying to decide if we are going to drive up the day before and stay @ the Radisson or wake up and drive up that day. I think it is a 5 1/2 hr drive from the FL. Keys so it may be a risky haul.

I am looking forward to the rest of your reports. :listen:

yachtsea
02-12-2006, 06:16 PM
I think that the people with 1 were the handicapped that I saw going on pretty early.

I really liked the new boarding method. That way you did not have to stand in that awful line like before. By the way, Bill, it was nice meeting you and your family. You had a beautiful suite.

eznunzit: I would definitely drive up the day before. That is too long of a drive to make the morning of and you never know when you might run in to a bit of traffic, flat tire, etc. You will feel much more relaxed once you are in Canaveral. :moped:

Billinaz
02-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Thank you so much for posting your reports! We can't wait for our cruise in September.

I thought I read somewhere that group one are rooms with concierge service (cat. 1-3)???

We are trying to decide if we are going to drive up the day before and stay @ the Radisson or wake up and drive up that day. I think it is a 5 1/2 hr drive from the FL. Keys so it may be a risky haul.

The disabled and the suites were preboarded, we did not need a boarding card. They just opened up the entrance from the concierge area.

Billinaz
02-12-2006, 06:35 PM
That room was the first we ever stayed in and as you saw, its hard to go to anything else!

Thank You to those who left $30 to help offset the cost of those goodies they catered in the suite.

I think that the people with 1 were the handicapped that I saw going on pretty early.

I really liked the new boarding method. That way you did not have to stand in that awful line like before. By the way, Bill, it was nice meeting you and your family. You had a beautiful suite.

eznunzit: I would definitely drive up the day before. That is too long of a drive to make the morning of and you never know when you might run in to a bit of traffic, flat tire, etc. You will feel much more relaxed once you are in Canaveral. :moped:

yachtsea
02-12-2006, 06:49 PM
You are welcome, Bill. No need for you to pay for the whole thing. I thought it was great that you let us in. I hope that you and your family had a great trip. I know that we did. :woohoo:

1stTimeDisneyCruiser
02-12-2006, 08:42 PM
We finally made it home after a 22...no...23 hour trip. Should have been 22 but had a little side trip due to an accident (no, not us; just needed to help a stranded college student who went in a ditch after a white out). Wouldn't you know we were just under an hour from home, too. Thankfully she was just fine and her car only suffered minor damage.

I'm still in a fog and don't really believe this week actually happened. As usual Disney manages to create "Magic" around every corner. I think the most magical part was the sunshine coming out just after we pull away from port last Saturday after a day and a half of torrential downpouring.

The only Dis'ers we managed to meet were Steve and Tonya (thanks for looking us up guys!). Sorry we missed you on Castaway Cay; Rich said he nearly ran Steve down getting us a spot on the beach with a hammock and all. He pointed out where he thought you were and we went by a couple times by land and sea :rolleyes1 trying to find you but no luck.

What a full week and oh the things we never even made it to but we don't care; we relaxed and had a blast. We thought the weather was great after Sunday and the seas weren't rough at all.

Favorite part: Castaway Cay
Least favorite: Having to get off the ship yesterday and fogetting all our formal wear in the closet at home :confused3 (Note to anyone else who this may happen to...please don't let it ruin your cruise. I think my kids were happier not being in stuffy clothes and I know my husband was. I was a little depressed at first but my family snapped me out of it.)

Gotta go attack the huge pile of clothes spilling out of my family room. So as your cruise director Rachel would say:

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls".

Laura

cruisecrzy
02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Didn't unpack them yet, but I remember that the princess meet and greet was on Thursday late morning (11ish?).

Johnna Story,
Thanks for the info. That helps with our Palo decision and is different then the Navigator that is posted online which I thought it would be. Thanks for all the info you have posted. It is helping us plan our trip.

PizzieDuster
02-12-2006, 11:15 PM

eznunzit: I would try to go the night before. On our first cruise there was a accident on the highway! We were the last bus and the last people to board. I was a mess! I was stressing! Aren't we there yet! :sail: We were in stop..stop...stop and wait traffic for 2 additional hours! :crazy:

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls".
OH BOY.. :cloud9: Does that bring back a fond memory I forgot...thank you for reminding me of that. :wizard: pixiedust:

Billinaz
02-12-2006, 11:49 PM
We ran into people from the cruise all day at MCO. We had to wait for a late flight... but at least we had a day room to relax in at the Hyatt. Kindof depressing seeing the DCL area there with people just starting their cruises!

I think the best part was Melanie getting the private audience with her favorite princess (Princess Aurora). She was absolutely speechless and starstruck!) I have to do something to Arnaldo our concierge for making this possible.

PizzieDuster
02-13-2006, 03:27 AM
We ran into people from the cruise all day at MCO. We had to wait for a late flight... but at least we had a day room to relax in at the Hyatt. Kindof depressing seeing the DCL area there with people just starting their cruises!

I think the best part was Melanie getting the private audience with her favorite princess (Princess Aurora). She was absolutely speechless and starstruck!) I have to do something to Arnaldo our concierge for making this possible.

Twice we had dayrooms at the MCO Hyatt. It was much better than trying to sleep on chairs. We had late flights too to LA. I loved watching the future cruisers. I always think "ahh, it won't be as FUN as what we just did." :rolleyes: And then I remembered "oh, so that's why they stared at US when we were waiting for our cruise :grouphug:

Johnna_Story
02-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Okay - am getting into the strong pull of depression that we're not still on the cruise, and won't be for some time. Hopefully the Disboards will help the healing process...

Will post the next few days of trip reports later tonight or tomorrow - will that relieve or exacerbate the sadness?? :sad2:

MarcyIn Florida
02-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Johnna Story,

Thanks.

We were all on the eastern -- it was Thursday morning at 11:30. Last day at sea.

MarcyIn Florida
02-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Well, now that I'm back in a place where I don't want to be (work), I can add to my trip report. :)

First, the hindsight basics:

Things I loved, loved, loved:

-- seeing DISers all over the ship. I think I ran into Steve K. every single day, and everyone else at least every other day
-- our verandah!!! My dh swears that he will never ever sail without one, and that it's unlikely he'll want to sail in anything other than Bill's cabin next time.
-- Our server, Leo (from India). This is the first DCL cruise where we liked our server, and he made up for the prior mediocre ones. he was amazing.
-- Castaway Cay. This is only our second CC stop (last time we missed it due to hurricanes), and it was better than I remembered. Definitley our best day on the cruise.
-- the counselors in the 3-4 group -- they were amazing with the kids

Things I didn't love so much:

-- the new dining seating. We had a 5:30 seating, and it was rough making it to dinner on CC day, and we missed a lot of character signings because of the very early seating.
-- the counselors in the 5-7 group -- we saw some very rude CMs in the Lab, as well as one very rude CM in the Club. All 3 were from the 5-7 group. We ended up switching our dd5 to the younger group because she didn't like a few of the counselors, either and didn't want to go to the Club. Once switched, she didn't want to leave.

As far as ports, we didn't love St. Maarten, but also didn't do any tours because our dd2 was too young for most of them. We did, however, really like St. Thomas -- much more than we had before. We took a cab downtown and stuck to the historical sights (like the second oldest synogague in the western hemisphere -- very cool!), and had a great time walking the very hilly historic district.

We didn't have enough time in the day to do everything we wanted to. Plus, our youngest was not at all happy in the Club, so she only stayed there for dinner at Palo. Our kids were much more misbehaved than we've ever seen them -- probably vacation overload, mixed with a pre-cruise cold. But it was exhausting to be with them, as much as I love them, and I'm not sure we'll cruise again until the little one is closer to 5.

Oh, and if you were there during the Topsiders meltdown, I truly apologize. :furious:

cruisecrzy
02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
We were all on the eastern -- it was Thursday morning at 11:30. Last day at sea.

MarcyIn Florida,
Thank you for the info. It is a big help in making our plans. Thanks for your likes and dislikes. It makes us feel better that we decided on the late seating again. We hate eating so late, but we are afraid of feeling rushed trying to get to the early seating. Thanks for easing our worries.

Johnna_Story
02-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey Feb 4 Disers - if you can believe it, we are already thinking about when we can go again! We're probably looking at 2008... anyone want to join us?? :goodvibes

I've uploaded the digital pictures, and sent in the other 12 rolls of film for uploading. Will do the day 3 trip report tonight for anyone who's waiting for it... ;)

steveandtonya
02-14-2006, 11:54 AM
We just got home around 8:45 am this morning. We left Orlando around 10:30 Monday morning and drove straight through. We are very very tired. It was great getting to meet most of you last week on the ship. It was fun seeing familiar faces. Will write more later.

Steve

MarcyIn Florida
02-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey Feb 4 Disers - if you can believe it, we are already thinking about when we can go again! We're probably looking at 2008... anyone want to join us?? :goodvibes

I've uploaded the digital pictures, and sent in the other 12 rolls of film for uploading. Will do the day 3 trip report tonight for anyone who's waiting for it... ;)

Hahahaha -- we're in.

Actually the one big regret I have is NOT hooking up dinner reservations with you and mark, or one of the other families with similarly-aged kids. I think we would have enjoyed dinner more if we hadn't been at a table for 4.

Johnna_Story
02-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Hahahaha -- we're in.

Actually the one big regret I have is NOT hooking up dinner reservations with you and mark, or one of the other families with similarly-aged kids. I think we would have enjoyed dinner more if we hadn't been at a table for 4.

I TOTALLY agree - it was just the five of us for dinner, and we were disappointed in that. Hey - do you want a foot of snow???

Johnna_Story
02-14-2006, 12:02 PM
We just got home around 8:45 am this morning. We left Orlando around 10:30 Monday morning and drove straight through. We are very very tired. It was great getting to meet most of you last week on the ship. It was fun seeing familiar faces. Will write more later.

Steve

Glad to hear you're home. Thanks again for the hammock on CC - not that Katie fell asleep, but it was nice of you to offer!

MarcyIn Florida
02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I TOTALLY agree - it was just the five of us for dinner, and we were disappointed in that. Hey - do you want a foot of snow???

No! But we have frost. FROST!!!!

vassello
02-14-2006, 04:55 PM
We too just got off the Magic on Saturday. Didn't make any of the DIS meets but also did meet Steve and Tonya since we were right down the hall. I begged my husband all week to sign up for another. On the way home he finally agreed to another week in 2008. I think we may aim for one of the Disney cruises that stops twice at Castaway Cay since we have so much fun there. Sign us up!!!!

Still cruisin' in my mind!!!!

Shari

http://www.photodump.com/direct/vassello/smallestpiratepicture.jpg

Johnna_Story
02-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Shari - sorry we didn't meet you. Maybe next trip?? :goodvibes

Johnna_Story
02-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Our second full day at sea. So relaxing. Coffee on the verandah again, and muffins/donuts pre-breakfast for the kids. Today was our Character Breakfast in Parrot Cay! So much fun - except for DD who still has a fear of the Characters. So she sat at the far side of the table near the window so the Characters couldn't go near her, and she insisted that we turn her high chair around to face the window when they came around. She would then turn around and look at them when they were with DS, but not wave, smile or talk to them.

Mostly, we spent our time at the Mickey Pool today and in the hot tub at the Goofy pool!!! I thought the kids would be freaked out by the motion of the pool water while we were at sea, but they were unfazed by it!

DH went to the Spa in the late morning, and then DS went to "Detective School" at OC. I can't say enough about how great the OC counselors are with the kids. DS would have spent the entire cruise there if we let him. He really liked Ricardo!

DD and I both napped today! After she woke up, it was her "big test" in the OC - they had to observe her for an hour and decide if she would be accepted to be with them since she's not quite three yet. SHE PASSED!! :Pinkbounc Yippee! Now we could look forward to another Palo Brunch and Dinner (or so we thought...)

After she passed the test, we went to deck 9 for a snack and caught Cinderella on the Dive-In screen. It's so much fun to watch classic movies up there - if you're planning a trip, you should do this at least once during the week.

Tonight was Formal Night - and the "Captian's Reception" before dinner - one of the few opportunities for free drinks!! Had a very yummy green cocktail. :) and the kids had their Shirley Temples. We had our professional pictures taken in the lobby, and then headed to dinner. Due to switching Formal Night to Monday (so as not to conflict with Superbowl), we had formal dinner in Parrot Cay - kinda weird to me with PC being the most casual restaurant. But it was still good food!

DH took DD to bed after dinner, and DS went to the club with the intention of going to the Golden Mickeys at 8:30. Well, of course he didn't want to leave the club/lab (they were making Flubber!) so I saw the show with DUncle. Went to pick up DS and of course, it was another battle to leave! Gave him the choice of going back to the room to catch the Golden Mickeys show on TV or go to Studio Sea for the GM "after party" and he chose the room. Probably a good choice since he was exhausted! So we watched most of it on TV and then went to sleep.

Yet again - missed quite a lot of goings on around the ship: all the kids wanted to do during the day was swim! And I have to say, I'm okay with that. At first I thought how much we were missing - all these activities and we didn't do any of them. But now looking back, I can see how it was just perfect for us. If we had to rush from activity to activity, it would have stressed us out so much. So that's another piece of advice - if you don't get to even half the stuff going on, don't worry about it. If you're enjoying yourself with "unplanned" activities, then keep it going. You won't regret having family time and feeling unrushed. :goodvibes

Johnna_Story
02-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Ah - beautiful St. Maarten! We enjoyed our coffee on the verandah again (good thing room service is FREE!) and got ready for our tour of the island with some beach time afterwards. But, the sun showers were omnipresent all morning - we had some spurts of clear blue sky, then sun showers, and finally, a full out storm. Quite unfortunate - we were really looking forward to beach time. Oh well...

We booked a non-Disney excursion for a tour of the island. Our driver was "Leon the Lover" and he was very knowledgeable about everything - and he made us chuckle a few times also! We picked up a couple of souvineirs at the outdoor flea market on the French side, and took Leon's suggestion not to go to the beach, based on the storm clouds over the Atlantic side of the island (near Orient Beach) so we came back to the ship for lunch. Consider the Story's pretty bummed out at this point. :sad2:

Aside: Leon kept telling us that Orient Beach was not all it was hyped up to be, and the locals prefer to sunbathe on the other side of the island, not the Atlantic.

After lunch, DS of course went to the Club, and DH and DD went for naps. I went back ashore after the massive storm ended to shop for just a few things. They had GREAT pirate t-shirts for the kids - perfect since Pirate Night is tonight! (Do you think the shops know this? :) )

Got all our pirate gear on to head to dinner. Pirate night is so much fun!!!! I was tropical only, but DH, DS and DD had pirate hats, eye patches, earrings, a hook, and DS's new skull t-shirt, so we were all set! Had dinner early, then thought we could see a movie until the pirate party - so as not to exhaust the kids.

The Chronicles of Narnia was playing in the Walt Disney Theater. Looking back, this was not a good idea. It was a great story, but a little too graphic for our kids (5 and not quite 3) so there were times they were both scared and covering their eyes.

Headed to deck 9 for the pirate party at 9:30 and just as we got a great spot in front of the stage and the dancing started, the kids wanted to go to bed. Now I'm so upset - this was one of the highlights of last year's cruise, and they just didn't want to stay up for the deck party. Oh well - we went back to the cabin and the kids went to bed.

But the evening ended on a better note - we could perfectly see the fireworks from our verandah. I'm a sucker for fireworks - loved them since I was a kid. So this made up (a little bit) for missing the deck party.

Went to bed thinking tomorrow in St. Thomas will be better...little did I know what I was in for... :stir:

You'll have to wait until tomorrow for the next report. I'm tired, post-cruise depressed and trying to do laundry before houseguests come this weekend (what was I thinking!!?? :crazy: )

yachtsea
02-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Well, Happy Valentine's Day to all! I have now survived two days back at work now. My seventh graders were happy to see me today. They were anxious to hear all about the cruise.

Steve and Tonya - I am glad that you made it back safely. Tonya - how did the new addition go in Orlando? Did it hurt? It was really nice meeting you. When will you be going back on the Magic? I think that we are gonna try for next February. I wish that I had booked on board. Oh well.

Johnna - Can't wait to hear what happens in St. Thomas. Cal and I were beat on pirate night too. We went to the room as soon as the fireworks were over. They were so neat.

Did any of you go to the Castaway Club meeting? Remember when the captain said they are looking at giving repeat customers a little more than they currently do. Anyone have any idea what they mean by that? I think that a nice discount would be great. How 'bout a DCL bathrobe?

Two people that we really enjoyed on the ship were Svenga and Franck from the gift shops. They were really great. Anyone have someone that was special for them?

Billinaz
02-14-2006, 09:04 PM
We are planning on doing a Christmas Cruise in 2008. I already have my request in to Inventory control........

cruisnfamily
02-14-2006, 09:24 PM
We booked a non-Disney excursion for a tour of the island. Our driver was "Leon the Lover" and he was very knowledgeable about everything - and he made us chuckle a few times also!
Could you tell me about your tour? What was the fee and how did you find out information about available tours?

MarcyIn Florida
02-15-2006, 12:48 AM
We already started talking about our next cruise. We'd really like to do summer 2007 (I don't want to take dd1 out of school again), but of course that's when the Magic will be in Europe! Argh!

Bill, sorry but we can't cruise with you again because we want your cabin next time!!! :love: Seriously, I think that now that the kids are getting bigger, a Cat 3 may be the way to go. We felt it with one bathroom and 4 potty trained people for 7 days . . . .

steveandtonya
02-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Heys guys! We are so glad that we had the chance to meet some of you. I was just reading some of your boards and I have a great story to tell you all. The last night that our kids could be in the clubs Steve went to go get Zachary and of course he didn't want to leave but we meet down at Mickey's Mates to finish up the last little bit of shopping and zachary was being really quiet not asking for anything(which is unusal) anyway I looked over at him and he was crying I asked him what was wrong and he said that he was going to miss his counselor Pascal from the club and as a mom I told him everything would be fine and started crying myself( as I am doing right now telling you all this). Well the guy Franck(from Mickey's Mates) over heard zachary crying and came over to ask what was wrong we told him and he proceeded to bend down to zachary and tell him that he didn't want him to be sad and that it was not over and let zachary pick one of the pins off of his lanyard and told zack that he wanted him to bring this back to him(Franck) the next time we sailed. That was the highlight of my whole trip! We did go back to the club and let him say goodbye one more time and they we're so sweet they gave us Pascals address on the ship so zack could write that made him feel better. And we also had him sign zack's autograph book which he left a really sweet note.

Debbie, my new tatoo is great it is some tribal work with a mickey head in the middle. Yes, it did hurt! I will not be addicted to these things that's for sure. I did faint, we had not eaten anything since we left the ship that last morning and the anixety from getting the tatoo and not eating I just completely passed out so now that is a big joke for everyone in the family. And I have convinced Steve we need to go again in 2008! Which it really didn't take much convincing. Gotta go I have a ton of laundry to finsh up. Talk to you all soon.

MarcyIn Florida
02-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Debbie, my new tatoo is great it is some tribal work with a mickey head in the middle. Yes, it did hurt! I will not be addicted to these things that's for sure. I did faint, we had not eaten anything since we left the ship that last morning and the anixety from getting the tatoo and not eating I just completely passed out so now that is a big joke for everyone in the family. And I have convinced Steve we need to go again in 2008! Which it really didn't take much convincing. Gotta go I have a ton of laundry to finsh up. Talk to you all soon.

Tonya, where did you get the tat? In one of the ports?

vassello
02-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Johnna - Did you stay at the Rainy Radisson on Friday night before the cruise? I think I met you at breakfast - did your family have matching Magic tshirts on?

Shari

ps....we are all about cruisin in 2008!

Johnna_Story
02-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Johnna - Did you stay at the Rainy Radisson on Friday night before the cruise? I think I met you at breakfast - did your family have matching Magic tshirts on?

Shari

ps....we are all about cruisin in 2008!

Yep - that was us at Rainy Radisson with our matching t-shirts! Glad the rain stopped in time for the sail away party! It was nice to meet you then, and I wish we had gotten to talking more so I would have recognized you if I saw you on board! I'm really bad with that by the way - so anyone who recognized me, but I didn't realize it was you, please don't think it's because I'm a snob!!!! :goodvibes

Johnna_Story
02-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Could you tell me about your tour? What was the fee and how did you find out information about available tours?

We heard about private tour companies from this board at some point, and used shoretrips.com - we took the St. Martin Island and Beach tour - we were in a 15-20 passenger bus (only 8 adults were on the tour, and 3 kids) and it was $55/person for adults, kids under 6 were free. The tour alone was about 3 hours (including the 45 minute stop at the flea market), and took us all over the Dutch and French sides of the island. It would have included umbrellas and beach chairs at Bikini Beach had it not rained!!! The driver would have let us off at the beach and come back whenever we wanted him to. I would recommend it. Our tour guide, Leon "the lover" :love: was very good and knew quite a bit of history and information about both sides.

Johnna_Story
02-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Debbie, my new tatoo is great it is some tribal work with a mickey head in the middle. Yes, it did hurt! I will not be addicted to these things that's for sure.

Tonya - good for you!!! I've been considering a tattoo, but haven't drummed up the courage for it. Now that I know fainting is a possibility, it scares me even more! :lmao: (laughing with you, not AT you!) Would love to see a picture of it!

Johnna - Can't wait to hear what happens in St. Thomas.

Debi - so nice to hear that you're following along - I thought maybe I was doing this in vain and who the heck cares what we did. It's been like a journal for me because despite my best intentions, I'll NEVER do a scrapbook. :rotfl2:

MarcyIn Florida
02-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Johnna, we're all reading and reliving through you! Keep them coming!

Johnna_Story
02-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Johnna, we're all reading and reliving through you! Keep them coming!

Thank you!!! That's great encouragement. Hey - you changed your little picture - it's very cute!!

Day 4 report - St. Thomas - will try to do it tonight...

MarcyIn Florida
02-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Thank you!!! That's great encouragement. Hey - you changed your little picture - it's very cute!!

Day 4 report - St. Thomas - will try to do it tonight...

My dh is a lucky kitty lover, so when i saw this, it seemed appropriate. I had Brer Rabbit for a few years now, and it was time for a change. :)

Johnna_Story
02-15-2006, 08:13 PM
I was up early this day (as were we all for the customs inspection!). Mark and DS went to the theater earlier as they had a morning excursion and DD and I waited in the room for our coffee and danish. Out on the verandah, I watched as we were secured to the dock (around 7:00 a.m.) and watched the port area slowly come to life. There was a lone rooster somewhere in hills waking everyone up.

After we passed inspection, and enjoyed some more coffee and breakfast on the verandah, DS, DH and DUncle went off to go on the Atlantis submarine excursion, while DD and I set off for the shops. We mostly brought trinkets and typical tourist souviniers (how did she talk me into the Maracas? :confused3 ) and returned back to the room at 12:30ish, expecting DH and DS to meet us soon. However, they were already there, with DS passed out.

Come to find out, he got sick on the way to the submarine. We think he was seasick from the ride to the sub, which was apparently pretty rough. And he could NOT be convinced to get on the sub after that. So DH carried him all the way back to the ship to sleep. Now DH was lower than I had ever seen him.

It's at this point in the vacation where we both start to think about what a horrible vacation this is. Our expectations were so high, and between the bad weather, the kids being sick and more tired than usual, and now missing the submarine excursion, we were ready to give up and write it off as the worst vacation we've ever had. Looking back, we realize that all of these things were beyond our control but that didn't help at the time.

While DS, DH and DD all rested in the room, I went up to sit in the sun to snap out of the depression that had settled over me. Boy - did that hour and a half in the sun help (along with the 2 rum-spiked Strawberry Banana Freezes!) I returned to the room to pull my nurse/babysitting duty for DS while DH took DD to the pool. Just as I thought DS was getting better, he got sick all over our bed. Special thanks to our room host, Allan, for changing all the linens! DH, DD and DUncle went to dinner, and DS and I stayed in the room to watch Johnny Depp as Willie Wonka.

Aside: good movie, but I'm loyal to the classic. Gene Wilder will be the ONLY Willie Wonka in my mind. :goodvibes

And now, one of the best things a CM did all week: Pairoj, our server, had DH call me so I could order off the regular dinner menu, and he himself delivered dinner to me. I thought that was above and beyond the call of duty. My dinner almost made DS get sick again (seafood - not the best choice!), but luckily he didn't, and then he fell asleep.

I took DD to "Twice Charmed" - it was so cute. I really liked it and so did DD. Stopped in Mickey's Mates afterwards (Marcy - I was there for that meltdown, but your DH swept your youngest DD out before it got too overwhelming! I remember him calling out to you - "Marce - we're leaving!" And trust me, I completely sympathize!)

On the way back to the room, we saw Donald and Daisy posing for pictures, and DD says, "Mom - I want to go see Daisy." (Remember - she had to be at the far end of the table, facing the window at Character Breakfast?) I asked her: "Are you sure? You want to GO OVER TO Donald and Daisy? Stand next to them? Take your picture with them? ARE YOU SURE??" She kept saying yes. So, fully expecting a breakdown when we got to our turn, I waited in line - and kept asking if she was sure...

SHE DID IT!!! :Pinkbounc She cautiously walked up to Daisy and Donald, and the photographer and I feverishly snapped pictures!! Daisy kissed her finger as we walked away, and she is still talking about that visit. Now, we couldn't go near any of the other characters in the next few days, but I still consider this encounter HUGE progress. We definitely bought that picture from Shutters.

At this point, let me say how pleased I am with how the characters and the CM's who "manage" their appearances, are with the kids. Not that I would expect anything less...

To me, this capped off in a good way what could have been one of the worst vacation days ever. I'm typically an optimist, and went to bed thinking that it couldn't get worse, so tomorrow has to be better.

Overall it was, but there were still some downsides. Oh, do I go do laundry, or the trip report for Day 6??? :rolleyes1

yachtsea
02-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Wow, Johnna, you did have quite a time with things didn't you? I am glad that things got better for you and your family. I know how excited you all were about going.

It is wonderful that your daughter warmed up to Donald and Daisy. They are so cute. I guess this is a break through and if you keep showing her the picture it might make her want to have more of them. Then you can have something to tell her to make her eager to go again.

We have decided to try and book for the same trip next February. We are not huge water activity people so the weather isn't a huge issue. Of course, we don't like walking around in the rain, but the temp. is ok to us if not too warm. I did love the weather at CC. Cal snorkled and I just sat in a lounge chair for a while. I know that he said that the water was pretty chilly at first, but then got better.

I guess you must have decided to go with the laundry tonight. I will eagerly await your next installment.

Tonya - I can't believe that you passed out. You poor thing! Do you like the tatoo now that you have it? How is the weather there in OK? It is like spring here, but it is going to get cold and rainy this weekend. Sounds like a good reason to stay home and do nothing on Sat. When are you and Steve booking your next trip?

MarcyIn Florida
02-16-2006, 09:51 AM
It's at this point in the vacation where we both start to think about what a horrible vacation this is. Our expectations were so high, and between the bad weather, the kids being sick and more tired than usual, and now missing the submarine excursion, we were ready to give up and write it off as the worst vacation we've ever had. Looking back, we realize that all of these things were beyond our control but that didn't help at the time.

:grouphug: I absolutely, completely understand this feeling. We were horrified by our kids' behavior on the ship, and that, along with getting caught in a freezing downpour on St. Maarten while on the taxi boat (brrrr!), then having to leave St. Thomas because the kids were melting down, made us wonder if we had made the wrong decision in taking a 7 day cruise.

Like you, looking back, we had a lot of great family time and some wonderful experiences, but the bad stuff felt like it overshadowed the good. I think that I often forget how little my kids really are, and between a pre-cruise cold (Abbie was out of preschool all weel; Cass was out on Friday), the excitement, and the relative lack of sleep, we really overextended them.

I took DD to "Twice Charmed" - it was so cute. I really liked it and so did DD. Stopped in Mickey's Mates afterwards (Marcy - I was there for that meltdown, but your DH swept your youngest DD out before it got too overwhelming! I remember him calling out to you - "Marce - we're leaving!" And trust me, I completely sympathize!)

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Ah, a parent's worst fear -- having someone they know see their child have a public meltdown! And the worst part was that the meltdown was because we wouldn't buy her a watch. You know, that almost 3 year old ability to tell time, and all. :rolleyes:

Did anyone get to witness *my* meltdown the next night (after Disney Dreams), when we lost our older daughter?? She got shoved in the crowd because she wasn't holding hands, and we lost her. Not for a minute, but for about 20 minutes.

The good news is that we realized later that we all deal very well in emergency situations -- when she realized she had been separated from us, she went right up to a CM in the store and told him what happened. We, of course, didn't know this, and dh went to look for her on other decks while I waited on deck 4 in case she came back. Finally, I went to guest services to report her missing. I was a bit miffed at guest services because they treated this as a non-event, saying, "Well, I wouldn't worry about it. If she has a wristband on, she'll wind up at the Kids' Club."

Now, in the end, the GS woman was right -- the CM that Cassie approached took her directly to the Kids' Club and they paged us. (My dh was already there -- he went there after scoping out the common areas on the decks.) Which is a huge reminder why the kids should always wear their wristbands, even if they aren't going to the clubs. But her nonchalance and her refusal to even call the kids club, in the face of a panicked parent, really ticked me off. Lucky for her, I was focused on finding my kid rather than making life difficult for her. (Generally, I was not impressed at all with GS on this cruise, which I found surprising.)

Anyway, we got Cass back, dh brought her to deck 4, and I burst into tears as soon as I saw her. Which, of course, made her cry, and we stood there for about 10 minutes hugging each other and sobbing, and me telling her how proud I was of her for knowing to go to a CM right away.

Ah, what a scrapbook moment. :rolleyes:

MarcyIn Florida
02-16-2006, 10:26 AM
My DIS friends -- does anyone have photos from brunch or from Bill's party? I can't believe I didn't take any DIS pictures!

Johnna_Story
02-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Did anyone get to witness *my* meltdown the next night (after Disney Dreams), when we lost our older daughter?? She got shoved in the crowd because she wasn't holding hands, and we lost her. Not for a minute, but for about 20 minutes.

Anyway, we got Cass back, dh brought her to deck 4, and I burst into tears as soon as I saw her. Which, of course, made her cry, and we stood there for about 10 minutes hugging each other and sobbing, and me telling her how proud I was of her for knowing to go to a CM right away.

Ah, what a scrapbook moment. :rolleyes:

Okay - so now I realize we didn't have EVERY bad possible thing happen to us on the cruise. :goodvibes

Sorry - no DIS pictures. I had 136+ digital pix, and 12 rolls of film , but not any of DISers. I'm sad about that... :sad2:

Lesson learned: get Diser's real names before next trip so we can contact each other while on the trip!!! (Right Stacy and Tim??)

sbatty
02-16-2006, 03:06 PM
I completely sympathize with everyone's less than magical moments. In retrospect we had a great trip but there were some trying times. I wish we had another trip booked because I want to redo some things.

Our trip started at the Nick Hotel. We arrived very late Thursday night in the rain. Everyone was tired so we went straight to bed. We woke up 3 hours latter to my DD crying because she had gotten sick in her bed. We cleaned up the mess and I had a restless night sleep - jumping up every time she stirred and worrying about what the rest of the trip had in store for us. Our first vacation morning, I woke up early to do laundry. On the way to the laundry I checked out the amazing pool. The sun wasn't out but the pool was open. We decided to hold off and see how everyone was feeling. This turned out to be a mistake because the pool closed shortly after and remained closed because of the lightning and rain. My DD choose the Nick Hotel for her birthday present and I was disappointed for her. I obsessed off an on throughout the day on the weather and everyone’s health.

My DD wasn’t hungry the rest of the day but seemed to have bounced back. Maybe she just reacted poorly to the travel so we just took things easy. We had fun throughout the day at the arcade and watching the live Nick Family Shows. The next morning we packed up and called my Dad to say we were on the way to pick him up. We stopped to take pictures of the pool. As we were walking out they opened the pool. I called my Dad – we were going to be late. My DD hustled into her bathing suit and swam for 30 minutes. She went down the water slide twice and we were out of there. My DS was NOT getting into the water without sun.

The next couple of days all seemed well. The kids liked the club (we kept DD out the first night to verify she was fine), the boat was great, St. Martin was chilly and wet but the beach was beautiful. My DD and DH had a tuna fish sandwich on the island. That may have been a mistake. The kids had a blast at the Pirate Party. My sister had invited my DD to spend the night and she was thrilled. My sister woke her up at 7am to bring her back so we could go to customs. On the way to our room my sister was lucky to get DD to a trash can in time. Waiting in the theater was a bit nerve racking. I wasn’t sure what would happen with my DD. She sure wasn’t happy waiting. When we got back to the cabin DH and DD were both feeling yucky. I took my DS to Megan’s Bay with my sister. We had a great time. My DS meet a friend and swam for hours, but I did feel sorry for the rest of my family. My DD and DH skipped dinner. Eventually I put my DS to bed and headed out for 80’s night. I had a blast. I returned late and kissed everyone good night. This is when I noticed my daughter was burning up. I grabbed a thermometer. She registered 103.8 under her arm. I woke her up and had her take Motrin. I sat with her the rest of the night. Her fever didn’t break until 4am. I thought I was worried before. I spent the night trying to convince myself that being quarantined wouldn’t be that bad. I had pretty much resigned myself to visiting the ship’s doctor in the AM. Those of us that slept (everyone but me) woke up feeling great.

I took the kids to the character breakfast while my husband made sure he was feeling better. My DH and I spent the rest of the day resting with my DD and ventured out to see the Disney Dreams matinee. Once again it seemed my DD had made a full recovery and we all enjoyed some shuffle board and ping pong.

My DD woke up in a good mood on Castaway Cay day. She was really looking forward to going to the beach. We went for a morning stroll and she just wasn’t feeling well. She ended up going back to sleep. She did come out to the island to look around for a bit, but headed back for another nap.

After St. Martin my DD was a bit sad she never got to return to the kids clubs and that she couldn’t go swimming, but really did take it in stride. I might try to avoid the ships’ doctor at all cost but I wouldn’t knowingly expose other kids’. Once we realized my DD was still sick we really did keep her pretty close to the cabin and when we did venture out stayed away from others.

If you asked my DD this was her best trip ever. When she wasn’t feeling bad she was loving everything. The rest of us never got what she had and she was completely healthy by the time we left the ship.

I really want to rebook. My kids are 6 and 8 and I think they are close to the perfect age for a Disney cruise. My DH is pretty much sold on the idea of taking a repositioning cruise in 2007 so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

MarcyIn Florida
02-16-2006, 03:28 PM
I completely sympathize with everyone's less than magical moments. In retrospect we had a great trip but there were some trying times. I wish we had another trip booked because I want to redo some things.

I'm glad you posted!

I saw you run out of the theater on during the last night's show with your dd -- I assumed she wasn't feeling well again. :(

Of course, it took me until day 6 to realize that you were right across the hall from us . . . . I'm such a dork.

Johnna_Story
02-16-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm so glad I went ahead and shared my "less than magical" moments. Here I was thinking I was the only one who felt like fate, life, God - anyone and everyone - was out to make me have a miserable vacation, and hearing from you all makes me realize that it's really not all about me. :goodvibes Tough lesson to learn: the world doesn't revolve around me. Gosh darn-it. Now I have to change my whole outlook on life. :rotfl2:

Seriously - next trip, and hopefully fate will be in our favor that we'll be on a cruise with such cool people (maybe even you guys!), I will make an effort to get to know everyone better. I wanted to go to 80's night, the pirate deck party, and other things, and just didn't want to go by myself. As I get older, that "high school eating by myself in the cafeteria" feeling usually isn't so strong, yet sometimes it rears its ugly head. Ah well...take it as a lesson learned :teacher: (I've been dying to use that smiley!) and vow to do things differently next trip. Of which there WILL be one, even I can't yet say exactly when that will be. :goodvibes

Johnna_Story
02-16-2006, 08:47 PM
We have decided to try and book for the same trip next February. We are not huge water activity people so the weather isn't a huge issue. Of course, we don't like walking around in the rain, but the temp. is ok to us if not too warm. I did love the weather at CC. Cal snorkled and I just sat in a lounge chair for a while. I know that he said that the water was pretty chilly at first, but then got better.

I would love to do the Eastern again. I really liked the extra day at sea, vs. the Western. Plus, the weather was better this year, even though it was early Feb. this year vs. early March in 05. And I'm like you - water temp doesn't matter, but beach time is important.

I guess you must have decided to go with the laundry tonight. I will eagerly await your next installment.

Ha! No laundry last night. I just tried to catch up on my shows saved on TiVo! I've got four CSI's (NY, Miami and 2 of the originals) to watch! Thank God for TiVo - it changed my life!!

Johnna_Story
02-16-2006, 08:50 PM
As Chicken Little would say: Today is a new day!

We woke up and had room service (really, what a change; the Storys had room service? :rotfl2: ) and ordered toast for DS just in case the stomach was not quite right. He wolfed it down, and was feeling fine. So our plan was for the kids to go to the clubs, and we all (me, DH and DUncle) would go to the 2nd Dis group brunch. We show up at Palo only to find out that there was confusion - we had all been told it was scheduled for 9:30. Well, Palo doesn't open until 10:30, not 9:30. So, not wanting the kids to be in the clubs that long, or for lunch (again, JIC DS was not yet 100%), DH encouraged me to go to brunch since I missed Sunday's, and he really wanted me to experience it.

So I went back at 10:30, and man oh man, all I can say is WOW. That food was so good!!! Alexander, our server, was so nice. I met fellow Disers Stacy (TigerB), Tim, Dee and Peter (Happy 50th again Dee!!), and Steve (a.k.a. Boxkite) and Mary. A small group, but we had such a nice time, that is when we weren't stuffing our faces with pizza, pasta, sweets, cheese, meat, eggs, dessert, etc. By the way, if anyone has any questions about Disneyworld or DVC, just ask Stacy and Tim. You guys will be my personal vacation consultants when it's time for us to plan our trip to WDW!! And I must mention again how nice it was that Stacy (who has yet to have kids of her own) was so thoughtful and made autograph books for our kids and for Steve and Mary's kids. My kids went through it page by page and saw some characters they had never yet seen! It might take time, but a goal will be to fill up each and every page with an autograph or personal picture with each one!

Fighting the urge to nap after brunch, I met DH and the kids at, can you guess? Yep the pools! Actually, they were in the hot tubs more than the pool. DD and I observed "Goofy's Fitness" (cute!) and just hung out. I had planned to go to the Galley tour, but just didn't get around to it. Again, the opportunities to do things, either as a family (family towel folding, so you think you know your family?) or adults only (Martini tasting, Wine tasting, beer tasting), were so abundant, and we just enjoyed taking it easy and going at our own pace, and not feeling like we had to be anywhere at any time (except dinner) was just how we like to have our vacations. It goes against my nature of planning each minute of each day, but somehow it works. :thumbsup2

We checked in DS in time for the D Sea U graduation ceremony. This is one of the best moments of all week. I actually cried when the "On My Way" song started. That song will forever remind me of Disney Cruises because of this ceremony. All the kids in their graduation caps, and watching pictures of their week together, just moves me to tears. And normally I'm not a SAP! But I just love this part of the trip more than anything else.

So after that, we had our last dining room dinner. DH wanted to grab food on deck 9 and let the kids swim and hang out, but I had been looking forward to lobster night, so I didn't want to miss it. And it was our last opportunity for dinner in the dining rooms (Palo ressies on Friday) with our servers. So we had dinner, and quite frankly, the Lobster was not the best I've had. Not that it was bad, but it wasn't quite as good as I had hoped.

The kids went to the clubs after dinner, and we went to Sessions to hear Bobby Hamilton's tribute to Frank Sinatra. Now, I'm from NJ originally (Sinatra's birthplace) and grew up a big Sinatra fan. Bobby Hamilton did a nice job and is a great pianist, but as I kept saying to DH, it was a "tribute, not an impersonation." I'm sure his jazz set later that evening was great, as he sounded a lot like Louis Armstrong, and not so much like the late great Ole Blue Eyes. But we enjoyed the adults only time.

After DH and I had a tiff (that I blame on the tensions of the week, and attitude that came from my drinking alcohol while taking cold medicine) I went to the Disney Dreams show by myself - I wish I had taken the kids since I think they would have enjoyed it too. But who could pull them out of the clubs??????

No 70's party for me - I was off to bed, and in eager anticipation of our day at Castaway Cay tomorrow.

Billinaz
02-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Well, in addition to the Feb 1 2007 and Feb 4 2007 Wonder cruises that we are doing back to back I booked a 'dummy' reservation with Jocelyn.

We already have our request in to Inventory Control to be on the Magic on Christmas 2008. Son as that opens up Im transferring the dummy reservation to that.....

Kim was complaining about being scared to para sail and even with my 3000+ skydives I could not convince her it was OK. As soon as she got back she wanted to go again...

Melanie got the opportunity of a lifetime, a personal meeting with her favorite Princess.... Sleeping Beauty, Princess Aurora. She got to spend about 20 minutes alone with her. Funny seeing her up close after seeing her on stage..We also have a photo mat with the princess signatures ready for framing one of these photos. They also have 2 princess pillowcases with the character signatures.

Apparently this is such a big request they have slips printed for CMs to fill out.

nordicskidoodle
02-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, reality is hitting us in the face and we are back from our week in paradise. I am sorry I didn't get to meet any of you, with the exception of Mark and DUncle at the hot tubs. We were trying to fit everything in with so little time since this was our first DCL cruise. As the saying goes, we had a magical time. You may have seen us around the ship. I was with my daughter Lindsay who is 10 and has Down Syndrome. I think she was the only one on the entire cruise. She loved it!!! Our other daughter was the cute little Chinese one. You could say we don't exactly blend into the crowd!
The CM's treated our daughter Lindsay like royalty. After the character breakfast Goofy came up to her and gave her a big hug. The CM that was with him asked her name and cabin number. When we returned from dinner that night we had a personalized autographed picture of Goofy saying it was nice meeting her, and he hoped she enjoyed her cruise. She also has a wheat allergy and the chefs prepared her special meals with a personal pastry chef that we met from India making her these desserts to die for! This trip was worth every single penny for us, since there are so many things we can't do as a family because of her limitations. Guess who was the first one of the ship? Yes, you guessed it! We did make it to the shows, but wasn't able to enjoy all the night life that was available. Johnna, I can relate to your disappointment, but that's what we have to expect with young kiddies.
Next cruise, I think I may go myself(yes, I have to get over that fear too!)
The two biggest disappointments we had were our servers and the weather. Our servers really didn't put in that extra effort. The asst. would give my husband a cup of coffee every night and never give me one. I had to ask every night! They were really not that friendly either. I thought everyone else on board was very friendly and accomodating. Marcy, I guess you have experienced this in the past also. As for the weather, getting out of the pools it was freezing, as was the water at CC. We are planning on going again next year but in April. For 1000 dollars more to me it is worth it. I just wish I would have booked on board to get the stateroom credit. Is anyone else planning on 2007, or 2008?
We have friends getting on board this morning(I'm so jealous!!!)

Lisa

Billinaz
02-18-2006, 09:43 AM
I must have seen you get onboard... did your DD use a wheelchair when you got on?

nordicskidoodle
02-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Bill,
Yes, it was a wheelchair that looks like a big umbrella stroller.
It was so exciting to walk through those big mickey ears! We couldn't
have been much far behind you on the escalator we were also very early and my husband got boarding card number 2.
Lisa

Billinaz
02-18-2006, 10:31 AM
We got a 2 as well, but didnt need it, we were in the concierge area. You were also right in front of me when we turned to watch the fireworks on pirate night, and I almost ran her over in the Walt Disney Theater (sorry, didn't see her until I was too close).

We had the 3 kids and were trying to get out of the rain that we were standing in before they let us into the terminal.

I saw you guys go past us in line on the Princess meet and greet and grabbed the CM in charge and asked her to go back in the long line and bring you up front.... and she did!!!!!!!!

MarcyIn Florida
02-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Well, reality is hitting us in the face and we are back from our week in paradise. I am sorry I didn't get to meet any of you, with the exception of Mark and DUncle at the hot tubs. We were trying to fit everything in with so little time since this was our first DCL cruise. As the saying goes, we had a magical time. You may have seen us around the ship. I was with my daughter Lindsay who is 10 and has Down Syndrome. I think she was the only one on the entire cruise. She loved it!!! Our other daughter was the cute little Chinese one. You could say we don't exactly blend into the crowd!

Lisa,

I saw a few special needs children on board with us. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you!

I'm sorry about your servers. As you know, this is the first cruise where we felt our servers were special. Except for Sasha at Palo -- he's always special!

Marcy

nordicskidoodle
02-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Bill, that is too funny-believe it or not I do remember someone almost knocking us over at the Walt Disney Theater! Those stairs were tough on her. I took her in her stroller to jackpot bingo, it was quite the adventure finding the back door through one of the clubs behind a secret curtain. Thank you for asking the CM to move us up front in the princess line. We were there literally seconds before she came over. I don't think we would have made it waiting for that long. Something about poor Snow White, she kept scratching her arm everytime she saw her. Little bugger!
I can't wait to go again-April 28th 2007 here we come! My son and daughter will still be 11-after age 12 we pay adult fair x2-Ugh!!
Lisa

1stTimeDisneyCruiser
02-18-2006, 05:02 PM
My sister woke her up at 7am to bring her back so we could go to customs. On the way to our room my sister was lucky to get DD to a trash can in time.

Did this happen to be on deck 5 forward near the elevators? My husband witnessed this and felt so bad. He came back to the room wishing there was something he could do. So sorry to hear about your anxious moments and sleepless nights!!

Laura

steveandtonya
02-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey everyone, Wish we were back in Florida. Ice and snow here with temp of 19 and wind chill of 4 degrees. :sunny: Funny how 2 weeks go we were just getting going.
Steve

Billinaz
02-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Yea, that was me (remember someone asking if you needed help?). I was trying to catch our 6 year old. She was not watching where she was going (do they ever?) and I was trying to stop her. My wife was ticked off at the people behind her. They pushed her forward and she was trying not to push into you guys.

They should have another way for those who need special accomodations to avoid those inevitable lines. They did on boarding, what about the theaters and character appearances??? They have special entrances at DL and WDW.

It was amazing as everyone watched you go by and not one person lifted a finger to help her get to the characters. I already caught another family and had them go on front of us (we were near the front of the line),I think their daughter had downs syndrome.

Looked lke we were in the perfect spot for the fireworks, I could not see anything going on at the pirate party and the kids couldnt see either. The fireworks were pretty nice.

We are on a back to back Wonder cruise Feb 1, 2007. I am waiting for Christmas 2008 to open up for the holiday cruise.

Bill, that is too funny-believe it or not I do remember someone almost knocking us over at the Walt Disney Theater! Those stairs were tough on her. I took her in her stroller to jackpot bingo, it was quite the adventure finding the back door through one of the clubs behind a secret curtain. Thank you for asking the CM to move us up front in the princess line. We were there literally seconds before she came over. I don't think we would have made it waiting for that long. Something about poor Snow White, she kept scratching her arm everytime she saw her. Little bugger!
I can't wait to go again-April 28th 2007 here we come! My son and daughter will still be 11-after age 12 we pay adult fair x2-Ugh!!
Lisa

steveandtonya
02-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Bill, Before I forget, thanks for the party you threw in your suite. It was nice meeting you and everyone else.
Steve

Billinaz
02-18-2006, 05:44 PM
No problemo, well worth the 90 bucks... they came by that night with something for me to sign....

It was especially helpful for Melanie (6) who was always looking for her little friend (Carly) at the club....

yachtsea
02-18-2006, 07:06 PM
I was thinking the same thing as some of you - just two weeks ago we were heading out on our great adventure.

Steve and Tonya - I am sorry that we did not get to know each other earlier. We really enjoyed talking with you both. It is chilly here is Charlotte, but not quite as cold as what you are dealing with. However, I am one of those weirdos that really enjoy a crisp winter day.

I am still getting quotes from various TAs regarding booking for next Feb. It is incredible the different prices that are out there. Hard to know which one is the best! Do any of you do the travel insurance part? I haven't before but I am thinking when you book one year out it might be a good idea.

As far as pictures go we did have some from the Sunday brunch. I need to take get them printed still. It takes a while to get them off the camera and edited a bit. I leave that all to Cal.

Did anyone get to see Glory Road while on board? I wish that we had seen that one. We saw the credits one night while waiting for a movie. It looked like it is pretty good.

Bill, how did you work out the whole princess thing? Also, any of you hear yet what the captain was talking about when he said they are changing the Castaway Club perk?

Debi

nordicskidoodle
02-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Debi,
check with Dana out of Florida(she is very well known on this board), I probably can't say her company name on line. We did some pricing this week while considering going the same week next year. Her prices are close to the 10% off I was quoted on board. Of course we can kiss that $200 stateroom credit goodbye! Should have listened to my husband on this one!
Lisa

yachtsea
02-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Is booking on board cheaper than what the DCL website shows? Cause I have found prices lower. Just wondered.

Billinaz
02-18-2006, 08:08 PM
I am still getting quotes from various TAs regarding booking for next Feb. It is incredible the different prices that are out there. Hard to know which one is the best! Do any of you do the travel insurance part? I haven't before but I am thinking when you book one year out it might be a good idea.

Bill, how did you work out the whole princess thing? Also, any of you hear yet what the captain was talking about when he said they are changing the Castaway Club perk?

Debi

I asked the concierge if there was a way to do it, I knew they charged about $250 for 15 minutes but he got it arranged just beefore the princess meet and greet. He was tipped nicely for that.

I want to know the CC perk! We have the Wonder booked Feb 1 next year back to back so that means we get it twice! I had it booked long before we even boarded this time...

Billinaz
02-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Is booking on board cheaper than what the DCL website shows? Cause I have found prices lower. Just wondered.

DEFINITELY. I also transferred it to DU and got more of a credit.

mark_story
02-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Although Johnna has been representing the Story family on this thread, I wanted to add a couple of thoughts:

- Bill, thanks again for throwing the party. We were happy to contribute to it because it enabled us to match so many faces with names (and screen names), It was so nice to meet so many people before we even left the port.

- Steve, thanks for being the "Godfather" of our original thread. How was your drive back?

- Cal and Debi - it was a real pleasure watching the Super Bowl with you - I just wish that we had gotten to spend more time together aside from seeing you in the hallways. And I envy your childless experience.

- Lisa, with the perspective of two weeks behind us, I have come to realize that my complaining about my kids getting sick on the cruise pales in comparison to the challenges (and joys) that you face every single day loving and caring for a daughter with Downs Syndrome. Thanks for the reality check. And a quick note - my Uncle's 1:30 flight to Providence was overbooked they tried to convince the passengers to go on the 2:30 flight. He didn't take it because he was worried about the snow in Baltimore, but he almost ended up on the same flight as you.

- Susan, I am so sorry that you had a similar problem as us with you daughter. You were a delight to talk to during the brunch and I wish that we could have chatted more. But you're in Columbia, right? Maybe we'll cross paths soon.

- and Marcy - you are a trip. Your posts are as funny as your personality. I especially liked our Palo brunch discussion on sexual harassment seminars. Get my wife a job at your firm in Florida and we'll all move there (just for the Florida resident discount!).

I know that I have forgotten things and people, but you all were a delight to meet and spend time with. My post-cruise blues are fading a bit, but I wish that we all could re-book for the same time next year.

Mark

D-Daddy
02-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi 2/4/06 Magic Cruisers! My DW and I discovered this forum just 2 weeks before we cruised on the Magic (2/4-2/11). We had not posted until now, but WOW did we learn a lot. :worship:

I think we read all 50+ pages of postings in the pre-cruise thread (started by SteveandTonya?) by Feb 2. We learned about over-the-door shoe hangers and door magnets and the importance of the embarkation shrimp feast and all sorts of stuff. And we've been following THIS thread since we arrived back home to find 4" (later 20 inches) of snow in Baltimore.

Our group included me, DW, DD-11, and DS-9. I've got a long write-up of "Good and Bad" on the Magic -- the "Bad" is pretty trivial compared to the good, but should I post it to this post-cruise thread? Or do it elsewhere?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Johnna_Story
02-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi 2/4/06 Magic Cruisers! My DW and I discovered this forum just 2 weeks before we cruised on the Magic (2/4-2/11). We had not posted until now, but WOW did we learn a lot. :worship:

I think we read all 50+ pages of postings in the pre-cruise thread (started by SteveandTonya?) by Feb 2. We learned about over-the-door shoe hangers and door magnets and the importance of the embarkation shrimp feast and all sorts of stuff. And we've been following THIS thread since we arrived back home to find 4" (later 20 inches) of snow in Baltimore.

Our group included me, DW, DD-11, and DS-9. I've got a long write-up of "Good and Bad" on the Magic -- the "Bad" is pretty trivial compared to the good, but should I post it to this post-cruise thread? Or do it elsewhere?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Hey Jeff - please post here!!!! Welcome to our group - even though we haven't met you guys (at least knowingly) we have our vacation in common, so please share whatever you can.

BTW all - I haven't forgotten to post about our last day, it's just been too busy here. Will do so soon - I know you've all been holding your breath... :goodvibes

yachtsea
02-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Johnna - I am waiting to hear the next report.

Our youngest daughter and her husband came over for dinner tonight. I pulled out their souvenirs and all our picture. Natalie especially thought her dad looked cute in his pirate bandana. It is my dream to be able to take them, along with our other daughter and SIL, on the Magic. I am hoping that we can do that in a couple of years. But...right now paying for six in three different cabins is a little more than we can pay. However, it is in the planning stage. I know they would love it.

Anyway, going through the pictures and telling the stories made me think of how much fun we had. It was one of our best trips ever. So... I do look forward to hearing from others and about what everyone got out of their experience.

Debi

D-Daddy
02-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey Jeff - please post here!!!! Welcome to our group - even though we haven't met you guys (at least knowingly) we have our vacation in common, so please share whatever you can.

Thanks, Johnna! My Good/Bad list got kind of long, so I'll post them in two separate responses.

By the way, I really sympathize with those of you who had sick kids on the trip! We once had a weeklong family trip to WDW paid for by my wife's parents. The Polynesian! On the second day, my DD (then 7) came down with her 4th case of strep in just 4 months. A really bad vacation.

On the Magic, I saw one poor mom carrying her child (1 year old?) down the steps at the Disney Theater. Before the Disney Sea University graduation, I think? She was about 10 rows from the stage, getting ready to take a seat and BLAP!! -- her kid threw up all over her bare shoulder and down her back.

The poor woman was frozen there not knowing whether to stand still or move. Some CM's ran over, helped her out and cleaned up -- but that can really ruin your day.

Thanks again for all the great advice that my DW and I found in your threads!

-Jeff

Billinaz
02-19-2006, 11:17 PM
My "bad" list is pretty short.

1.) The times we got rained on.

2.) The uncooperative conditions during the Golden Eagle Catamaran Snorkel .....

Other than that.... we had a great time.

D-Daddy
02-19-2006, 11:23 PM
My DW, DD (11 years old), DS (9 years old) and I had an absolute blast on the Magic.

It was DW’s idea and as the time to go got closer, I was convinced that this was a very bad idea. But by the second day on the ship, I had forgotten about home projects, car repairs, kid’s schedules – I almost forgot where I worked. For a rare moment, my time was my own and suddenly this became the best vacation I have ever had.

I’ll write the “Bad” first, then follow with the Good.

The Bad:

1. Having to get off the boat. Wah!!!!!

2. They give you too much to eat! This cruise made my clothes shrink terribly!

3. We had the late dinner seating. My DD-11 is prone to migraines when she stays up late or isn't calm and quiet after 9PM. Our servers (Jesse and Martha) were great, but having my DD go to dinner at 8:30 and then staying up till midnight finally caused her to have a couple of attacks (followed by quick recovery).

4. The marionette guy was extremely talented, but that belonged on Ed Sullivan circa 1958. I liked the smart-mouth magician (Rick Puntura??) though!

5. When my DD was in pre-school, she loved the Disney princesses as much as any 3 or 4 yr old girl. And I was happy that she loved them. But my DS is 9 and DD is 11 and they get no big thrill out of Princess appearances and don't want to get autographs or pictures or anything. I was very happy to see all the little girls dressed up like their favorite princess and how excited they were, but I wish there was some equivalent for older kids -- like Rufus the naked mole rat from Kim Possible, the kids from the Incredibles?? or something like that??

6. If we went to St Thomas first and St Maarten second, wouldn't we avoid that ridiculous early immigration call in St Thomas?

7. If you don't enjoy other people's cigarette smoke, don't sit on Deck 5 near the doors. Within minutes, smokers will step onto the deck and move upwind, thus sharing their pungent enjoyment with as many people as possible.

8. The passenger ferry to the Anguilla Dolphin Excursion. Ugh. The dolphins were great and the beach was the best, but that boat ride…. UpDownUp……. Smash, back up again, down, up, down……. Up, splash! Back down….. I'd classify the ferry boat as an X-treme thrill ride. (DS-9, however, thought the insane boat ride was the highlight of the trip!)

9. The wind was unbearable up on Deck 9! People had to cover their food at Pluto's Doghouse so that entire hamburgers didn't blow away!

10. The sand on the Castaway Cay shoreline was murder! A billion sharp shells! My kids ended up playing on the sand bar near the boat rentals where there were NO shells -- only clean soft sand. I later noticed that in the 2005-2006 DCL Vacations brochure (p. 30), a family is shown playing happily on the sand. They’re playing on that same sand bar – not the beach! They had to have moved the boat rental stations to stage that photo!

11. The teeny tiny area on the comment card on which to write about someone who made your stay magical. I wrote about our Cabin Host, Calvin, but I had to scrawl in the margins and with 5 different arrows, etc. Gimme a little space to "sell" our Cabin Host! He deserves it!

12. I walked down toward rooms in the 2650 range. WOW!! Were they noisy!!! It sounded like every diesel engine on the ship was right under them!

13. Both my DS-9 and DD-11 had rolling suitcases that they really liked. Both suitcases were destroyed on the way off the boat.

Next: The Good!

-Jeff

D-Daddy
02-19-2006, 11:33 PM
And now, The Good stuff!

1. Our cabin host, Calvin, was wonderful. He never got in our way, yet managed to make our stateroom look wonderful, despite our messiness. He would tell us how "splendid" we looked when we went to dinner and always wished us a "magical day." He twice scolded me in his Jamaican accent, "Your daughter. She is cruising. You should let her sleep til 3:00!" He was awesome.

2. The "small group" activities on the boat. We did the vegetable car race and my DD came in 2nd. The lecture on the making of the Magic with some of the crew (did you know that the navigator is prone to seasickness?). The galley tour (did you know that the bacon chef is the most critical member of the cooking staff?). The family drawing class (we did Mickey and Donald!). Missed the toad races and paper airplanes.

3. I loved spotting DD and DS being totally absorbed in their Oceaneer's Lab activities all over the boat -- they didn't even notice me spying on them. And the Disney University at Sea “graduation” was fantastic. A great chance to cheer for your kids just for being your kids! (My DS-9 was featured as “Most Relaxed.)

4. The beautiful Magic, itself. The other boats we saw in port looked so ordinary compared to ours.

5. Speaking of other boats, was anyone else out on deck in St Thomas when we left the port and Captain Thord BLASTED the RC Mariner of the Sea with our "When you wish upon a star" whistle!! A merciless sonic assault. My kids were SCREAMING, they thought it was so funny.

6. Goofy's Galley! My DD-11 will eat melon and pineapple faster than I can cut it up. Goofy's Galley -- with the freshly cut fruit each day -- was like an oasis in the desert! I was almost speechless when I asked for pineapple and grapes and honeydew and cantaloupe for my DD and they handed me a huge beautiful plate that was nearly spilling over. And for once, neither DW nor I had to cut it up. More fruit! More fruit!

7. The little self-serve ice cream cups. My DS-9 loved it. He would serve himself. Walk away while eating it. Finish it. Then he'd think for a moment, "I think I need some more…" Get some more. Walk away while eating it….

8. My DS-9 and DD-11 are old enough and (to me) responsible enough to be trusted to explore the ship by themselves. They just loved that freedom. They would often leave the room to "get some ice cream" or "look around". I think they really just liked being independent and responsible for their own activities. (No, my kids were NOT the ones chasing each other in the elevators.)

9. I was afraid that our windowless Cat 10 room would be claustrophobic and induce seasickness in all of us, but I was wrong. It was small, but had LOTS of storage space and was just wonderful. I almost had to chase the kids OUT of the room! They wanted to spend half the cruise eating food smuggled from Topsiders and watching TV (Wallace and Gromit!) in their bunk beds!

10. The ceiling fold-down bed in the Cat 10 room! My DS-9 would ask to be excused early from dinner each night so that he could race back to the room and claim the upper bunk. As if me or his sister or DW were going to take it from him!

11. After Castaway Cay, me, DD-11 and DS-9 got in Goofy's 84-degree pool and watched Little Mermaid on the mammoth Dumbotron. It was wonderful! And I loved the other parents who joined in scolding the un-chaperoned boys who were jumping in (despite the no-jumping signs).

12. Fireworks! On a boat! Moving at sea!

13. Shows! The Disney theater shows were great. Really professional and kept both my DD-11 and DS-9 entertained. Also the magician (Rich Puntura??) and the jugglers (the Gizmo Guys) were a riot.

14. Mustn't forget --- the calm seas! The ride could not have been smoother!

15. Best of all, stumbling across this DCL forum just 2 weeks before we cruised. We read all 50+ pages of postings and learned SO much. We got many compliments on our door magnets and made heavy use of our over-the-door shoe holders! We were really well prepared for this, our first cruise.

Thank you to all the DISBoarders who wrote such important and userful info!

-Jeff

steveandtonya
02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Debi,

Hey, Steve and I wish we would of meet you and cal sooner we enjoyed getting to know you. We are sitting here in the cold for the last two days it has below freezing and ice covered roads. The kids were suppose to be in school today but they are not!!!! We are now on day 3 of this and we are going to try and venture out just to get out of the house. I have to go for now the kids are needing breakfast so I will talk to ya soon.

Tonya

steveandtonya
02-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Johnna,

I am trying to get a picture of my tatoo together. I will post it soon.
Tonya

steveandtonya
02-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Marcy,

Sorry its taken me so long I got my tatoo in Orlando when we returned from the cruise so that I didn't have to worry about it during the cruise. I can get the name of the place if you would like to go next time!!!!

Tonya

1stTimeDisneyCruiser
02-20-2006, 11:27 AM
On the Magic, I saw one poor mom carrying her child (1 year old?) down the steps at the Disney Theater. Before the Disney Sea University graduation, I think? She was about 10 rows from the stage, getting ready to take a seat and BLAP!! -- her kid threw up all over her bare shoulder and down her back.

-Jeff

I wonder how many others of us witnessed that. It was literally right behind me, I was sitting with my back to the stairs and I didn't dare turn around when I heard it because I wasn't sure how I'd handle it. My husband just gave me a play by play over my shoulder. Steve and Tonya and Tonya's family were also sitting right in front of us and also witnessed it. Amazing how quickly they clean things up and like it never happened!

Laura

dlf246
02-20-2006, 12:44 PM
13. Both my DS-9 and DD-11 had rolling suitcases that they really liked. Both suitcases were destroyed on the way off the boat.

-Jeff
Jeff:
First, these are very useful observations and I suspect you were not able to write them all on the evaluation form. I would urge you to email or mail to DCL, as it seems they listen.

Second, we use the rolling suitcases for both regular and carry on, so am curious what damage they had and if you have suggestions for preventing.

yachtsea
02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Well, I have the day off and 100 things to do, but I decided to be really lazy. So... I thought I would take the chance to write some of my Good and Bad opinions from our trip.

Of course, the bad are things that really were not all that bad. But, I can come up with a few things.

OK, no one could help the weather.

I did not think that the latte from Cove Cafe was that great. Of course, I was comparing to Starbucks.

The food was good. But I was not that thrilled with the dessert choices this time. I am a diabetic (but medicated) so I want to really enjoy my dessert. I was taking the cruise as an opportunity to splurge. Now, don't get me wrong, there were some nice ones, but you have to decide what you want to spend your carbs on. So... I decided most nights to have ice cream from the Goofy area on deck 9. Of course, I went to the soda station and took a larger cup to put my ice cream in so as to not have to continue to get a new one of those little ones. (Also, why were there no cones? - one other bad thing) I felt that the Key Lime Pie at Palo brunch and the German Choc. Cake at Topsiders was the absolute bestest. :banana: Cal asked for a piece and they were all out, so the pastry chef happened to be around and said he would go and get him a piece. He brought him 4 pieces. Oh my gosh, I have gotten off of the bad.

I would have like to see the movies on board play a little more often, maybe in the morning. There were some I would really liked to have seen, but there are only so many things you can fit into an evening.

I would like to see more items to purchase that are specifically DCL. I know that you think there were a lot, but not really. I would like a bigger t-shirt selection.

That is really all of the bad things that I could come up with and as you can see, that is not that bad. One thing that I wish we would have done is see a movie out at night on the big screen. I hated that we missed doing that.

Good things - Where do I start? - I love the fact that Disney has their own really nice terminal with places to sit. I also really liked the new system of boarding. I always hated standing there. I loved sitting at the end of the terminal just looking at the ship and all that was going on.

I love how they call out your name when you get onboard. We told them about it being our 30th anniversary and they also announced that.

I love the fact that the service and cleanliness on DCL is superior. Getting to know some of the staff and watching the way that most of them go out of their way to help makes you feel that you have made a new friend. I know that when we go back next Feb. we hope to meet back up again with some of the CM we met this time.

I love the fact that there are children so happy on board(for the most part.) I did see some unhappy, but let's remember they are kids. It is just such a wonderful family environment. (Except for our first day on board when I saw a dad slap his son on the back of his head.) I know that it can be really trying with little ones on vacation, and believe me I am glad that mine are grown, but it is nice to see the kids. I also enjoy the fact that there are so many places to go with no kids. I loved going into the Cove Cafe to check out a book, watch the news, whatever... It was great. Disney just knows how to cater to all ages.

I loved the way that people are so nice to one another and that you typically find that most people on board are not rude. There are some, but not as many as on other lines.

I loved so much more but I know that you are all tired of reading this now. I should go and clean or something.

I also love the Disboards. It is great keeping up with all of you.

Debi

MarcyIn Florida
02-20-2006, 02:07 PM

That happened right next to us!! My dh couldn't speak, he was so shocked and felt so bad for that mom.

MarcyIn Florida
02-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I wonder how many others of us witnessed that. It was literally right behind me, I was sitting with my back to the stairs and I didn't dare turn around when I heard it because I wasn't sure how I'd handle it. My husband just gave me a play by play over my shoulder. Steve and Tonya and Tonya's family were also sitting right in front of us and also witnessed it. Amazing how quickly they clean things up and like it never happened!

Laura

Laura --

We were sitting right next to you -- my dh was just to your left. :) Steve and Tonya tried to motion for us to say something to each other, but then the vomit happened and then the show started! :rotfl:

MarcyIn Florida
02-20-2006, 02:18 PM
5. Speaking of other boats, was anyone else out on deck in St Thomas when we left the port and Captain Thord BLASTED the RC Mariner of the Sea with our "When you wish upon a star" whistle!! A merciless sonic assault. My kids were SCREAMING, they thought it was so funny.

6. Goofy's Galley! My DD-11 will eat melon and pineapple faster than I can cut it up. Goofy's Galley -- with the freshly cut fruit each day -- was like an oasis in the desert! I was almost speechless when I asked for pineapple and grapes and honeydew and cantaloupe for my DD and they handed me a huge beautiful plate that was nearly spilling over. And for once, neither DW nor I had to cut it up. More fruit! More fruit!

We were on deck 10 for the St. Thomas sail away, and you're right -- it was amazing! People were cheering, and my kids were jumping up and down.

And I agree -- Goofy's Galley is an amazing addition to the ship. My youngest wouldn't eat for the first three days on the ship (I know, she's a freak), EXCEPT for Goofy's Galley.

When we got home, she asked for a plate of cut of watermelon, papaya, and pineapple. I had to lay down the law about me NOT being DCL.

Oh, and my dh made me buy a panini maker because of GG. Those sandwiches were amazing, and we were much less likely to eat chicken fingers because of the yummy stuff there.

vassello
02-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I agree with the new additions - GG is awesome. I love the ability to get fairly fast food that is healthy. (This did not stop me, however, from enjoying the french fries and the chicken nuggets on deck 9!!!) And to have someone cut up the fruit is wonderful! I was really excited about Cove Cafe. I loved the location and the ambience but didn't think the coffee was that great - boo hoo.... I think I was also hoping for more of a Starbucks taste. I love the new Ocean Quest - it made my DD11 happy and this in turn makes me happy!

Most nights the desserts were great - we always ordered at least 2 different each and the last night our server, Teddy, brought out ALL of the desserts for us to try! I think the dinners overall were amazing but thought that the steaks were not as tender as I remember them being last time. We thought Palo's brunch was superb - I won't ever miss this again!

Off topic but reminded by Palo. I feel a strong connection to the people in the Phillipine's and the mud slide. Our main server was Teddy and our server at Palo was Emmanuel - both from the Phillipines. Lots of prayers are coming from our house for the safety of their families.

Shari

1stTimeDisneyCruiser
02-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Off topic but reminded by Palo. I feel a strong connection to the people in the Phillipine's and the mud slide. Our main server was Teddy and our server at Palo was Emmanuel - both from the Phillipines. Lots of prayers are coming from our house for the safety of their families.

Shari

Our server Wilson was also from the Phillipines. I wish there was some way we could get an update to know that their families are okay. I can't imagine how horrifying that would be to have something so tragic happen and be so far from home.

Marcy,

That's too funny that you were also sitting right next to us! "It's a Small World after all!"

Off subject...did any Disers get to know Vincent and Drew?? Vincent was five and Drew three. I don't remember their parents names and my son really connected with Vincent. We have some cute pictures of them together and I'd love to email them to them.

Thanks,

Laura

steveandtonya
02-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Marcy i am going to try and send this picture to you of my tatoo. Let me know if it works.
Thank you for sharing your Kodak Easyshare Gallery album!
Here is a copy of the email that was sent with the album.

Subject: Tatoo

Steve has shared photos with you.

Album from Adobe Mon Feb 20 08:30:23 PST 2006
(1 album)
Test

- Steve

Do more with these photos!

Buy Kodak prints Create a collage Create a mini photo book Create mugs

Johnna_Story
02-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Okay - I should be working right now, but the boss is not in the office, and I'm just not in the mood to work today. :coffee: SO - you'll finally get my final trip report. :thumbsup2

Friday - Castaway Cay. How we are so looking forward to this last day to redeem some of the earlier bumps in the trip. And it did. First, I woke up super early to catch photos of the sunrise. :sunny: I think I used almost 2 full rolls of film. Can't wait for those photos to get blown up and hung somewhere prominent in the house. It was nice to be up early, alone (except for the other photographers and insomniacs!) and really experience a sunrise. To me, it's one of God's gifts and I try to experience it at least once each time we are at the coast for a vacation. It gave me time to really think about my life and how lucky and blessed I am to have my family, friends, and all the good fortune I have. Yeah, vacations may not turn out exactly how you plan, but does that really impact my life as a whole? I think those of us fortunate enough to be able to take even one Disney cruise, never mind multiple ones, are really lucky and I know I often don't look at it that way. Sometimes I think I need to experience more sunrises to be able to see my life as incredibly great, and not always looking at the not-so-great little things in life. Okay - enough of that.

After the sunrise, we woke up for coffee on the verandah and then breakfast at Topsiders. The last day I can have the oatmeal!! The weather was looking wonderful, so I couldn't wait to go to the beach. First time this week, and boy, did I need it. Plus, we had to use the toys we got from Shirley! Once off the boat, we were lucky enough to see DS's favorite at the CC post office: Captain Hook!! pirate: Made our way to the beach and got a good spot near the snorkeling area. Not that we were going to snorkel, but the kids don't really swim at the beach much (they prefer the pool!), so they only needed to go in the water to fill the buckets for sand castle creating. Of course, our bliss ended shortly thereafter when DD started to get tired and ask for her pacifier. ARGH - I hate that thing!!! Why didn't we wean her before the trip???? :mad: Of course, I didn't have it with me, and she wouldn't fall asleep without it - despite the use of Steve and Tonya's hammock! So after lunch at Cookies, we all decided to return to the ship. This was the best decision we made of the week. DH and DS went to the pools, and were practically alone. DS went into the Goofy pool for the first time all week, by himself, and really got to swim in deeper water. Much as he enjoyed the Mickey pool, he had so much fun in the Goofy pool, which I don't think he was expecting! DH and DS had some time to bond and hang out together, and they just enjoyed the last day of our trip together.

DD and I were in the cabin - she was sleeping, I was packing!!!! How come nothing fits in the suitcases on the way home???? :scratchin We didn't even buy that much! :confused3 I finally relaxed and sat on the verandah for a little while watching the activity of Castaway Cay. When the kids get older, we are TOTALLY doing the banana boat excursion! Everyone was loving it as they sped by us. Again, I can't say enough about the verandah. Yes, it costs more, but especially for times when DD was napping, or when DS was sick, it was so nice to be able to get out to enjoy the sun, see the port activity, or just not be stuck in the cabin. Not to mention enjoying morning coffee (have I mentioned that? :) ) and evening cocktails out there. I hope we can always cruise with a verandah cabin.

At this point, we are starting to stress about our Saturday travel back to DC. CNN had us all freaked out about the blizzard that was to hit the east coast, so I called friends at home (and did rub it in a little that we had gorgeous sunshine, were just off the beach, wearing flip flops, etc. as they hunkered down for the snow!) and they assured us that we should be fine to fly in and land before the snow started. Anyway, what could we do?? We actually wound up getting on an earlier flight and landed in the rain, and the snow started when we got to our house - wound up being about 14"! :cold:

We dropped off both kids at the OC, and went to our best meal all week - PALO dinner. It was so incredibly yummy. We put ourselves into Sasha's hands, and basically handed him back our menus and let him guide us. I had calamari for an appetizer, and the filet mignon - prepared perfectly. Wonderful wine - pinot noir, and I can't for the life of me remember what brand it was. I wish I had written it down!! Of course, we each had the souffle for dessert, in addition to 4 other desserts that Sasha brought us. The tiramisu was to die for, the cappucino cheesecake was smooth and creamy and I don't even know what the other two were, since I couldn't fit another thing in my stomach. What a great ending to a trying week. We could look back and see that it wasn't really the worst vacation ever. We had some great times, and some challenges. But most importantly, we got to spend time as a family out of our everyday routines and really learn more about each other.

Surprisingly, DS was ready to leave the club when we went to get him, but DD wanted to stay! We finally all conked out feeling pretty good about our week, and pretty sad that it was over.

My good and bad reviews in another post...really need to work now. If I get fired, there's no way we're going on a cruise any time soon... :goodvibes

jblb1020
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey Everyone,
Sorry it has taken me a while to write but getting back to the normal schedule was pretty rough and depressing. I am sorry that I did not get to meet most of you time just seemed to fly by. We had a wonderful cruise and looking at all the pictures my children's smiles are priceless. I have been reading all the updates and can't believe how many kids got sick, I guess we where one of the lucky ones that missed what ever was going around. My DS was not crazy about the club and was only there twice so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I can't wait to book another Disney Cruise but with DS starting kindergarten in Sept I am not sure when the best time would be. Well we are all back to reality and it pretty much stinks! :(
Jeanette

mark_story
02-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Jeanette,

Yes, being back confronted with reality really does stink. After reading everyone's posts, I'm kicking myself for not rebooking while we were on board. It's expensive, but booking way in advance gives us time to fund the trip as well.

Sorry our sons didn't get the opportunity to hang out -- mine was so into the Oceaneer Club that I had to drag him out of there to get some sunshine and fresh air. And when I saw you guys (and your DS with red, sobbing eyes), I took it that the OC was not a big hit.

The big debate we're having now is going back in 2007 vs. 2008. 2008 is financially more viable, but the only sure-fire way to cure the post-cruise blues is to book another one. Plus, as every year goes by, the kids become more independent, leading to more time for us adults to enjoy the other things that the cruise offers.

Mark

D-Daddy
02-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Jeff:
...Second, we use the rolling suitcases for both regular and carry on, so am curious what damage they had and if you have suggestions for preventing.

Neither of the kids' suitcases were any kind of high-quality luggage.

My DS's suitcase was a $15 Target roll-on -- but it was bright orange and he liked it a lot.

My DD's suitcase came from Limited Too -- and if you know any 10-14 year-old girls you know that they specialize in flimsy, overpriced stuff for "tween girls." My daughter loved her suitcase, but it was not especially sturdy. We probably should have rolled them on and off the boat ourselves.

My regular "adult" suitcases survived just fine.

-Jeff

D-Daddy
02-21-2006, 07:17 PM
...And I agree -- Goofy's Galley is an amazing addition to the ship. My youngest wouldn't eat for the first three days on the ship (I know, she's a freak), EXCEPT for Goofy's Galley.

When we got home, she asked for a plate of cut of watermelon, papaya, and pineapple. I had to lay down the law about me NOT being DCL.

Too funny!! I did the same thing! The day after we got home I yelled (jokingly) at my DD, "No more canteloupe! You're not on the Magic anymore and I am not Goofy's Galley!!"

-Jeff

jblb1020
02-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Jeanette,

Yes, being back confronted with reality really does stink. After reading everyone's posts, I'm kicking myself for not rebooking while we were on board. It's expensive, but booking way in advance gives us time to fund the trip as well.

Sorry our sons didn't get the opportunity to hang out -- mine was so into the Oceaneer Club that I had to drag him out of there to get some sunshine and fresh air. And when I saw you guys (and your DS with red, sobbing eyes), I took it that the OC was not a big hit.

The big debate we're having now is going back in 2007 vs. 2008. 2008 is financially more viable, but the only sure-fire way to cure the post-cruise blues is to book another one. Plus, as every year goes by, the kids become more independent, leading to more time for us adults to enjoy the other things that the cruise offers.

Mark
Mark,
Yes the kids club was not a big hit with Logan but I should have put him in his age group for 5 and up rather than with Kelsey and he might have enjoyed it more. He did keep asking to play with Ryan and I felt bad they didn't get to spend more time together. He really liked the free play in the club and as long as that was going on he was fine. I am also kicking myself for not rebooking on the cruise. I think that we are going to rebook for 2008. I would love to go in 2007 but Brian is the one that wants to wait till 2008. I'll see how things go maybe in a couple of months I can convince him. I think rebooking another cruise would definetly solve my post-cruise blues!!!! :)

mark_story
02-23-2006, 06:15 AM
Jeanette (and others),

Well, as has been well-documented here, the only sure-fire cure for the post-cruise blues is to book another one, and the Story family (plus DUncle) will be back on the Magic on March 3, 2007 (courtesy of my very generous Uncle). We booked another Eastern because, with both of the kids sick for much of the trip, we feel that we did not see much of St. Maarten or St. Thomas.

So, I'll put this out to the way cool group of February 4th, 2006 cruisers: if you're thinking about re-booking for 2007, PLEASE JOIN US!!!! We made so many good friends that it would just be wonderful if any of you are thinking about re-booking and could come along as well.

Mark

http://v50.net/cd/03-03-2007_Magical+Eastern+Cruise_0-255-255.png

nordicskidoodle
02-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Mark,

We also booked another cruise! It's funny, we are booked for April 28,2007, but I'm now second guessing the date because of DD's first communion being close to that date(might be excommunicated for missing those oh so important rehearsals!). DH is going to kill me if I change that date again. I originally booked for 2/3/07, but figured the extra $$$ in the big picture was worth the guarantee of warmer weather and warmer waters. It's funny because the other date I was toying around with was the same as yours. I think they were basically the same price. I guess DUncle loves the Disney cruise! Hey, if we end up changing our date, maybe he will be on the same flight this time.
As for your kiddos, they are only young once-things don't always go as smoothly as we hope, but the most important thing is the family time you share and seeing those smiles on their faces. That is why we always book the room with the verandah because we know we will be spending more time in it than your average Joe, and Disney allows us to bring alcohol on board...for poor cabin bound saps like us!

Lisa
P.S. Tried to get the $200 onboard credit by calling Disney(no deal)
Tried to get friends on board now to book it for us while they reebooked, basically told us to take a hike. Oh the magic of Disney!

mark_story
02-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Lisa,

Please change the date again to March 3rd!!!!! I felt bad that we only got to talk that last day in the hot tub. And I have promised everyone in my party that we will have good weather for the whole 7 days. GUARANTEED.

Mark

Johnna_Story
02-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Okay - finally time to recap the good and the bad of the trip:

Bad:
You already know: sicknesses :sick: , tempers, bad weather
Not spending more time with other Disers :sad1:
Being too tired to go to evening events
Missing Pirate party
Coming home to 13 inches of snow :scared: :cold:

Good:
Being on vacation with my family :love:
Teaching DS the cha cha slide at the Sailaway party :banana:
Coffee on the verandah :coffee:
DD meeting the princesses princess:
DS meeting his favorites - Stitch :stitch: and Captain Hook pirate:
DD getting courage to take pic with Daisy and Donald :donald:
Seeing DS's face coming down the Mickey Slide :woohoo:
Palo dinner and brunch :goodvibes
Meeting Disers at Bill's party and at Brunch party:
D Sea U graduation ceremony :cool1:
Sunrise :sunny:
Rainbow during breakfast at St. Thomas :rainbow:
Castaway Cay beach time :sunny:
Food, food, food and Mickey Bars :mickeybar
Fireworks at sea pirate:

And finally - most of all - having a generous benefactor in DUncle who is taking us on a cruise next year. :thanks:

Now I'm just waiting to hear that all of you booked your March 3, 2007 Eastern Cruise... :cloud9:

schinz
02-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi, we also were on this cruise and "lurking" on the boards before our trip. Thanks for all the great information as this was our first disney cruise. The kids love their pillow cases signed by the characters and enjoyed meeting every princess (we were with my DD5 and DD7, also my nephew 10 - he tagged along too with most of the princesses and was a good sport). We had a great vacation once we decided it was for the kids - after the first hour in the kids club the girls decided they didn't like it and wanted to be with mommy and daddy - which was ok since this was their cruise!! We really enjoyed them having a great time.

I wanted to know if anyone knows how to send a letter/mail to a cast member, more specifically a waitress. My dd5 fell in love with our waitress, Joyce from St. Vincent, and we have the cutest picture that I would like to send to her. Thanks for the help.

Stefanie

mommykeg
02-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Jeanette (and others),

Well, as has been well-documented here, the only sure-fire cure for the post-cruise blues is to book another one, and the Story family (plus DUncle) will be back on the Magic on March 3, 2007 (courtesy of my very generous Uncle). We booked another Eastern because, with both of the kids sick for much of the trip, we feel that we did not see much of St. Maarten or St. Thomas.

So, I'll put this out to the way cool group of February 4th, 2006 cruisers: if you're thinking about re-booking for 2007, PLEASE JOIN US!!!! We made so many good friends that it would just be wonderful if any of you are thinking about re-booking and could come along as well.

Mark

http://v50.net/cd/03-03-2007_Magical+Eastern+Cruise_0-255-255.png

Well I'm not one of the February 4th cruisers, but we'll be on the March 3, 2007 cruise as well! :banana: There is a thread started for that cruise...not too busy yet, but I'm sure once we hit the official "one year to go" mark, things will pick up!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=941075

I've enjoyed reading your trip reports...look forward to meeting you and your family on March 3, 2007!

D-Daddy
02-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi, we also were on this cruise and "lurking" on the boards before our trip.
Wow! We had so many Marylanders on the 2/4 Magic that I'm surprised it didn't stink of Old Bay!:rotfl:

I think that the Story family is from Kensington, another family that posted a lot is from Columbia, MD. My family lives in Ellicott City, and we met another group from Eldersburg (halfway between Ellicott City and your home in Westminster) while in line for the Topsiders seafood buffet.

(Sorry, I don't know how to mail CM's, but I am sure someone here will answer you.)

-Jeff

D-Daddy
02-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Rainbow during breakfast at St. Thomas :rainbow:

My family was in Topsiders and saw that St Thomas rainbow also. Incredible! It was so bright and we could see all the colors down to the purple.

By the way, you had mentioned doing the banana boats next time.... My DW foolishly promised DS-9 that he could ride the banana boats. But he needed an adult to go with him! I had been drafted, the day before, to go on the frigid-water dolphin encounter, so I told her this was her job.

DW is by no means a thrill rider lover. :scared: I was expecting the worst, but DW really liked it and said she would go again! She said the key is for the banana riders :banana: to LEAN the direction that the boat driver tells you to lean.

Oh, well. What do I know?!

-Jeff

mark_story
02-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Well I'm not one of the February 4th cruisers, but we'll be on the March 3, 2007 cruise as well! :banana: There is a thread started for that cruise...not too busy yet, but I'm sure once we hit the official "one year to go" mark, things will pick up!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=941075

I've enjoyed reading your trip reports...look forward to meeting you and your family on March 3, 2007!

Thanks, Mommykeg,

I found the March 3, 2007 thread yesterday and posted on it, introducing myself and my family.

See you (or should I say "Sea U"?) in 371 days. :cool1:

Mark

mark_story
02-24-2006, 04:54 AM
My family was in Topsiders and saw that St Thomas rainbow also. Incredible! It was so bright and we could see all the colors down to the purple.

By the way, you had mentioned doing the banana boats next time.... My DW foolishly promised DS-9 that he could ride the banana boats. But he needed an adult to go with him! I had been drafted, the day before, to go on the frigid-water dolphin encounter, so I told her this was her job.

DW is by no means a thrill rider lover. :scared: I was expecting the worst, but DW really liked it and said she would go again! She said the key is for the banana riders :banana: to LEAN the direction that the boat driver tells you to lean.

Oh, well. What do I know?!

-Jeff

Jeff,

We should have a Maryland-based support group. We all could get together and day things like "Hi, my name is Mark, and I'm a Cruiseaholic."

Mark

D-Daddy
02-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Jeff,

We should have a Maryland-based support group. We all could get together and day things like "Hi, my name is Mark, and I'm a Cruiseaholic."

MarkYes, except we will make no effort whatsoever to cure ourselves of our cruiseaholism! Instead, we will only encourage more, MORE, MORE. :rotfl2:
-Jeff

yachtsea
02-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Hey to all and the Story family - We are so happy to hear that your D uncle is being so kind. It will be great looking forward to your next one. Cal and I have rebooked for the Feb. 3rd. We are not huge water people so the colder temp. was alright. Cal enjoyed snorkeling even though the water was a bit cold. It will be fun to waiting and reading to keep up with everyone.

Plus, you are right, there is nothing better to help cure the cruise blues than to rebook. Also, to get a great price!

Debi

Johnna_Story
02-25-2006, 07:30 AM
Debi - looks like you and Cal will likely get another Superbowl on the Dive-In! Should be lots of fun. I hope that by changing to March, we might get a little more sun and warmth - and better luck overall! :teeth:

Caropooh
02-25-2006, 07:36 PM

The poor woman was frozen there not knowing whether to stand still or move. Some CM's ran over, helped her out and cleaned up -- but that can really ruin your day

-Jeff

Been there, done that! Summer before last we were flying first class to NYC.(I worked for the airline, so wew were flying on my benefits.) About 20 minutes before we landed my DD5(at the time) threw up all over me and the floor. You talk about a deer in the headlights look! I didn't know what to do! We went in the bathroom and tried to wipe off as much as we could! It was pretty embarrasing walking off the plane(stinky) over towels on the floor, knowing exactly why they were there!

Hey Johnna_Story and Mark_Story, looking forward to sailing with you in 53 weeks from today!!!!!!!!

Boxkite
02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Rather than give a day by day trip report, I’ve decided to go with listing Strengths, Needs Development, and Tips. We are a family of four, DH, DW, DS (9), and DD (6). Best quote of the whole trip was from my DD as we boarded the ship, “No healthy food for a week”!

Strengths

* Food. Yes the food is good, not quite great but good none the less. There were at least two dishes that I made the mistake of ordering, both times I switched to a different dish and was happy with the second dish. If you do not like the dish, do NOT hesitate to ask your service person for a different dish.

* Palo’s Dinner. Yes, dinner at Palo’s is amazing with the service, atmosphere, and food! I had skipped lunch that day, due to a shore trip, and so I was very hungry. I ended up ordering both the steak and a half size pasta dish. I was able to finish the steak, but was able to only eat half of the pasta. All the dishes were excellent! We both ordered the soufflé for desert. My wife got the chocolate with chocolate sauce, I had the chocolate with the white chocolate sauce. We both agreed that the white chocolate sauce worked better with the soufflé.

* Palo’s Brunch. We had a group brunch with some fellow DISers and we all had a great time. Again the food was great and our server, Alexander was excellent.

* The wonderful autograph books that DISer Stacy put together for our kids. She gave them to us during the brunch. My daughter is still going through the whole book, page by page, two weeks after the cruise.

* Seeing all the DISers on the ship. I ran into at least one DISer every day of the cruise!

* Our verandah. For a family of four, worth every penny! Any time one of us needed some fresh air or to escape from the rest of the family, all we needed to do was slide the door open and enjoy the ocean. A bit cold at night, but still very nice.

* The DISer party that Bill had Saturday afternoon in his suite. Very nice living arrangement and a must for those with large families (5 plus). Bill, again thanks for the party and BTW, Carly enjoyed playing with Melanie too!

* Castaway Cay! Even by Disney’s standards, this is one nice place. They have put together just the right touch of rustic settings so you don’t get the feeling that you are in some artificial perfect setting. The weather was perfect for this time of the year – sunshine all day long. Water was a bit cold, but manageable. I understand the snorkeling was outstanding; I did not have time to snorkel myself. The kids spent half the time in the club and once I had checked them out, proceeded to bury themselves in the sand so that only their head was showing. Quite a sight to see! Yes parts of the shoreline are covered with broken sand shells so bring those water shoes or tennis shoes to the beach.

* Kids clubs. This is why we paid the big bucks to go on the Disney Cruise in the first place and they did come through! While the kids did not spend every minute there, they did spend enough time there for my wife and I to have our own time together. My DD was in the 5-7 Club and my DS was in the 8-9 Lab.

* Evening Shows. The Golden Mickey’s, Twice Charmed, and Disney Dreams, were all well done shows that the whole family enjoyed (even my DS!). We found that setting as close to stage as possible made it even better.

* Pirate Party was very nice, my DS really enjoyed it very much. The fireworks were a great finale. TIP, for those of you with a starboard verandah, you have the option of enjoying the fireworks from there.

* Extra day at sea. We very much enjoyed the extra day at see that the Eastern Cruise provides verses the Western Cruise. More time to relax on the verandah!

* Galley tour. This free adult activity was at the suggestion of my wife and we both enjoyed the 30 minute tour.

* The pizza. Need I say more? The kids thought it was the best, better than any pizza available back home. Every night, one of us would make our way up to pick up 4-5 slices of pizza and some cups of coke and come back to the stateroom for instant pizza party. We never bothered with room service.

* Soft serve ice cream. In addition to the pizza, the kids helped themselves to as much ice cream as they could eat!

* Goofy's Galley! They serve a very nice chicken sandwich.

* Quite Cove Café. Nice adult place that has a bar, Internet access, magazines to read, and a small food case where one can come by at night and pick up a small desert or cheese and crackers or both!

* Crew members. As my wife said, every crew member was highly motivated and happy to do what they needed to do to make the trip a more enjoyable one.

* Spinning Classes. If you like to attend spinning classes, the ones on the ship are great. The instructors are very nice, the bikes are super nice (Johnny G) and if you wear your heart monitor, you can see your heart rate on the bike display. Feel free to bring your SPD bike shoes and clip in!

Needs Development

* Desserts. My wife and I did not have good luck with the desserts for the first half of the cruise. The desserts got better later in the week, but nothing that was even close to the Palo desserts. For some reason, cakes were a disaster and we learned to avoid them.

* Food service. While our assistant food server was good, the rest of the team did not impress us. Missed food orders, slow service, dry jokes, indifferent to our needs, etc.

* Pancakes. I love pancakes, but to see what DCL has done to the poor thing is sad. These things could be used as miniature Frisbees. How hard is it to make a pancake?

Tips

* Character Signatures. You can bring pillowcases, t-shirts, etc. to the Service Desk and they will fill out a form to have signed by some of the characters. Be sure to wash the items before the trip and put them in a zip lock bag along with some color permanent markers.

* Shutters Photo Service. Avoid the Shutters mad rush on the last night of the cruise and order your pictures early. Plan on spending more money here than perhaps you had budgeted for.

* Recharging electric devices. If you have more than a couple of electric devices, consider bringing a power strip and extension cord. Then you can run the extension cord from the desk outlet to under the desk, where you can plug everything into the power strip. We forgot the extension cord so the power strip along with rechargeing all the electric devices covered half of the desk!

* Port vs. Starboard stateroom? We really liked our stateroom on the Port side of the ship. For both St. Maarten and St. Thomas the port side faced the beautiful open harbor. As an added bonus, one can see the pelicans dive for their dinner from the port side staterooms while the ship is docked at the Port Canaveral terminal.

* Allow extra time for traffic when you need to get to shore excursions not booked through DCL. We booked all of our shore excursions through Shoretrips dot Com and while we liked the shore excursions themselves, we did not always allow enough time to get from one place to another on St. Maarten. Take the estimated time and add at least another 20-30 minutes. Also, be aware that traffic gets even worse once school lets out at 1:00 PM!

* If your shore excursion includes going out on the water, consider bringing a light rain jacket. The weather does change quickly, like the saying in Texas, “If you don’t like the weather wait five minutes”.

* If you are going on one of those two person boats (Rhino Safari, Rock n- Roll Snorkel, etc.) wear a light rain jacket and sunglasses, regardless of the weather (unless it is very hot). While these boats are super fun to drive, you will get completely wet without a jacket. As fast as these boats go and with the wind blowing, they will protect you from both the wind and water.

* 2-way radios. We brought a pair of Motorola 2-way radios and they worked very well throughout the ship. You can purchase a pair of Motorola 2-way radios that have 10 or 12 mile coverage on the Internet for under $70.

* If you like to participate in group exercise class, be sure to sign up as soon as possible. The popular classes, like spinning, fill up quickly.

Billinaz
02-28-2006, 08:32 PM
* The pizza. Need I say more? The kids thought it was the best, better than any pizza available back home. Every night, one of us would make our way up to pick up 4-5 slices of pizza and some cups of coke and come back to the stateroom for instant pizza party. We never bothered with room service.

Im spoiled.. I grew up in NYC... I havent had any decent pizza anywhere since I moved.

* Soft serve ice cream. In addition to the pizza, the kids helped themselves to as much ice cream as they could eat!

Yea, but they need cones!

Needs Development

* Food service. While our assistant food server was good, the rest of the team did not impress us. Missed food orders, slow service, dry jokes, indifferent to our needs, etc.

Our last cruise in 05 the servers were not that great. Our first cruise had a sever that we judge others by... and nobody has been close (Arlold on the Wonder)

* Pancakes. I love pancakes, but to see what DCL has done to the poor thing is sad. These things could be used as miniature Frisbees. How hard is it to make a pancake?

The toast and bagels were not that good sitting under the heat lamps.

Tips

* Recharging electric devices. If you have more than a couple of electric devices, consider bringing a power strip and extension cord. Then you can run the extension cord from the desk outlet to under the desk, where you can plug everything into the power strip. We forgot the extension cord so the power strip along with rechargeing all the electric devices covered half of the desk!

The service desk on Deck 3 has them for loan! It was fun finding the US power outlets. On the Wonder they have 2 in our dressing area. On the Magic we had to pull out a drawer to get to the power plug. They really need to move them!

* Port vs. Starboard stateroom? We really liked our stateroom on the Port side of the ship. For both St. Maarten and St. Thomas the port side faced the beautiful open harbor. As an added bonus, one can see the pelicans dive for their dinner from the port side staterooms while the ship is docked at the Port Canaveral terminal.

Im hooked on Starboard....... To each his own!

* Allow extra time for traffic when you need to get to shore excursions not booked through DCL. We booked all of our shore excursions through Shoretrips dot Com and while we liked the shore excursions themselves, we did not always allow enough time to get from one place to another on St. Maarten. Take the estimated time and add at least another 20-30 minutes. Also, be aware that traffic gets even worse once school lets out at 1:00 PM!

We found out about this when we booked the Dolphin swim in Nassau. I book through the company wesite directly. Cuts out all the middlemen!

Johnna_Story
03-01-2006, 09:54 AM

Im spoiled.. I grew up in NYC... I havent had any decent pizza anywhere since I moved.

Im hooked on Starboard....... To each his own!

DITTO: Nothing like NY pizza, and watching the fireworks from Starboard was quite a treat since the kids were already asleep!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Johnna

JeannieH
03-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Am I alone in wishing that more reports focussed on the actual places visited? Seems to me that the size/content of a pizza is of more interest than touring areas of the world unseen before.

We have cruised umpteen times, but find friends and family are way more interested in the places we saw and details of the actual ship and activities - than in what we consumed daily. Come on folk............the food just ISNT important. Eat when you are hungry, but less of the details. We all know what is on offer aboard the ships! :(

dlf246
03-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Am I alone in wishing that more reports focussed on the actual places visited? Seems to me that the size/content of a pizza is of more interest than touring areas of the world unseen before.

We have cruised umpteen times, but find friends and family are way more interested in the places we saw and details of the actual ship and activities - than in what we consumed daily. Come on folk............the food just ISNT important. Eat when you are hungry, but less of the details. We all know what is on offer aboard the ships! :(
JeannieH: I'm one reader who skips the parts about the ports!!! Hence I enjoyed this trip report...
May I suggest you try one of the cruisecritic boards that focuses on each of the places visited.

msaseifert
03-01-2006, 01:20 PM
I am one who likes to read about the ship, being on the ship, what there is to do, eat, see, etc. I loved my cruise, the ports are just a bonus for me. I wanted to just stay on the ship and hang out while in port but my DH would hear nothing of it. Just my 2 cents! Keep them trip reports coming........Oh by the way, we loved th epizza too but we are from Virginia and have never had NY pizza. Guess we will have to plan a trip :thumbsup2

Johnna_Story
03-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I am one who likes to read about the ship, being on the ship, what there is to do, eat, see, etc. I loved my cruise, the ports are just a bonus for me. I wanted to just stay on the ship and hang out while in port but my DH would hear nothing of it. Just my 2 cents! Keep them trip reports coming........Oh by the way, we loved th epizza too but we are from Virginia and have never had NY pizza. Guess we will have to plan a trip :thumbsup2

Good lessons in "to each his own" - I hope I gave a well rounded perspective of our trip - the good (mostly), the bad (some) and the ugly (a little!). I wish I could have commented more about the ports, but as you may have read, we didn't see much of them. :goodvibes

And definitely go to NY and have pizza - not at a sit down restaurant, but at a "pizza place" as we used to say. It will be served on a plain white paper plate, which will soon be orange from the grease dripping from the bend in the crust. Mmmm.... if I close my eyes and try hard enough, I can taste it now... :banana:

nordicskidoodle
03-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Johnna,

LOVED the reports! Just my 2 cents....

Lisa

JeannieH
03-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Greasy pizza? Mmm, sounds like a recipe for a heart attack to me!Think I will stick to the fresh vegetables thanks. :rotfl2:

Johnna_Story
03-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Greasy pizza? Mmm, sounds like a recipe for a heart attack to me!Think I will stick to the fresh vegetables thanks. :rotfl2:

To me, it's well worth the risk of a heart attack! I'm sure you could ask for veggies on your slice - the pizza man will look at you like this: :scared1: , but hey, if that's your thing...
:rotfl:

castlegazer
03-02-2006, 02:59 PM
I personally can't get enough of the reports about life on the ship. I have been to the ports many times and know exactly what I am going to be doing - plus I find that this is an even more subjective topic - on your own/DCL/where to go/when to go - blah, blah, blah.

OK - I have a question about the fireworks from your cabin. At what point in the party do they do the fireworks? I want to go to some of the party, but know that my kids will never make it up for the whole thing.

Johnna_Story
03-02-2006, 03:16 PM
I personally can't get enough of the reports about life on the ship. I have been to the ports many times and know exactly what I am going to be doing - plus I find that this is an even more subjective topic - on your own/DCL/where to go/when to go - blah, blah, blah.

OK - I have a question about the fireworks from your cabin. At what point in the party do they do the fireworks? I want to go to some of the party, but know that my kids will never make it up for the whole thing.

Pretty sure they were around 10:15. I thought my kids could make it (they were up until 12:30 on New Year's eve!) so here was my big plan:
6:00 dinner
7:30 movie - thinking this would be a calm activity that wouldn't tire them out
9:30 party on deck

Well, the movie was Chronicles of Narnia - pretty intense for a 5 yr old. But I guess they just didn't feel like partying afterwards. I don't know if putting them into the clubs would have made them want to stay awake and party more or not.

One more point - on the Eastern cruise, you have to get up EARLY the day after the pirate party to pass through customs at St. Thomas. Not good timing, but as Rachel the Cruise Director said, it's the only time the captain can slow down enough and meet all the restrictions about the fireworks at sea, so that's why the party has to be that night and not any other.

castlegazer
03-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks. This day will have to be a play-it-by-ear day. It's the one night I know is going to be the toughest and it's the one night I am going to have to concede to listening to my kids signals and not pushing them too hard. They are sooo young and will be sooo worn out by this time. It's nice to know that there is a possibiity of seeing the fireworks from our verandah. Thank you very much.

Boxkite
03-03-2006, 01:54 PM

Bill, I agree that NYC pizza is the best. The pizza review was written from the point of view of the children not us adults!

We found out about this when we booked the Dolphin swim in Nassau. I book through the company wesite directly. Cuts out all the middlemen!

Yes Shoretrips took great care of our shore excursions and we will use them again. We will just allow more time for the traffic jams!

When I have more time I will written some shore excursion reviews, which will include reviews of the Islands themselves.

D-Daddy
03-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Someone please correct me if you think I'm mistaken, but I am very sure that the pirate party fireworks actually took place at 10:50PM. The Navigator listed the Pirate party from 9:45 til 11PM. I assumed that the fireworks would be at the very end of the night -- 11:00.

My DS-9 and I were walking around on Deck 10 thinking we'd get a good spot to see the fireworks -- which we did, but right about 10:45 Mickey appeared and within a few minutes kaBLAM kaBOOM!

They set off the fireworks from the front nose of the ship and they went off at midship on the port side only (over the water, of course) -- I wondered if they change to the starboard side depending on the wind?

I'll tell you something that I didn't know! I had no idea that they had a Pirates of the Caribbean snack (chili, turkey legs, chicken wings, fajitas) bar and dessert bar that stayed open til midnight! It looked great, but I was totally full by then.

-Jeff

schinz
03-04-2006, 01:31 PM
The pirate party was great and kids really enjoyed it, although they were a bit tired. I'm not sure what time the fireworks were, but immediately after the place cleared out. I think is was actually closer to 10:30 - 10:45pm.

We have two girls, DD5 and DD7 and my nephew who is 10. We planned that day around the pirate party and are glad because the kids actually said that was one of their favorite times on the cruise. We went to the beach for the day in St. Maarten - yes the kids stayed in the water for the rain showers and came back to the ship around 4:00pm. We then showered and went up on deck for dinner instead of the dining room. Thus allowing for a late afternnon nap. We put the kids in for nap at 6:00pm with them complaining they wouldn't sleep but were out like a light - I guess all that swimming paid off - We had to wake them for the pirate party around 9:15pm. I then just put them in simple pirate attire - bandana, and hoop earring and off we went. The girls were a little sleepy for a while but then got into in and my nephew was off dancing from the get go. It was really fun and although we thought about letting the kids just sleep we're glad we didn't and they are too.

Hope you can plan the day so the kids can enjoy this but you have to do what is right for your kids. We saw several kids sleeping on their parents through the party and fireworks and I just wondered why they didn't put those poor kids to bed.

Just my two cents worth.

Stefanie

MarcyIn Florida
03-13-2006, 11:24 AM

The fireworks are at the very end of the party. We all went to the party, but my younger dd got very cranky, and we went back to the cabin (pre-food and pre-fireworks). But we did get to watch from the verandah, which was GREAT -- one of the highlights for her. It was probably 10:30, although I could be totally off.

MarcyIn Florida
03-14-2006, 02:35 PM

You know, I found this post to be offensive. And maybe you didn't mean it to land that way; maybe you did.

After we spent 10 plus pages discussing everything we did on the cruise, you chose to pick at one portion of one post about pizza. Yes, there is discussion of food (which is an integral part of many cruisers' itineraries), but there is also a lot of discussion about the ports, the activities, etc. Please don't bemoan our collective recollections of our cruise -- when you cruise, you get to post your own version of your trip report.

D-Daddy
03-14-2006, 10:11 PM
You know, I found this post to be offensive. And maybe you didn't mean it to land that way; maybe you did.

After we spent 10 plus pages discussing everything we did on the cruise, you chose to pick at one portion of one post about pizza. Yes, there is discussion of food (which is an integral part of many cruisers' itineraries), but there is also a lot of discussion about the ports, the activities, etc. Please don't bemoan our collective recollections of our cruise -- when you cruise, you get to post your own version of your trip report.Hi Marcy!

If you take a look, several of the posters already expressed the same opinion that I had: I don't especially care about the ports! I like to know about everyone's experience on the boat -- good, bad or whatever!

Thank you to everyone who posted their cruise reviews. I've read every word of it!

-Jeff

MarcyIn Florida
03-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Jeff,

I did take a look. :thumbsup2 I just wanted to add my two cents.

Bigboy
03-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Well as a new cruiser, I want to know everything. So tell me about the food and the people and the places. I think your report was wonderful. Thank you Thank you Thank you

ps - I'm hungry for pizza right now and it is early in the morning.

steveandtonya
03-25-2006, 07:29 PM

After we spent 10 plus pages discussing everything we did on the cruise, you chose to pick at one portion of one post about pizza. Yes, there is discussion of food (which is an integral part of many cruisers' itineraries), but there is also a lot of discussion about the ports, the activities, etc. Please don't bemoan our collective recollections of our cruise -- when you cruise, you get to post your own version of your trip report.

You tell him Marcy, I think you related your experiences regarding the cruise very well. I wish I was back there now. Hope everything is fine down there.

Steve and Tonya

steveandtonya
04-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Since I started the cruise meet thread for this cruise a long time ago, I guess I'll be the last to post on this thread. Hope that we can cruise with you all again sometime. We are looking at May 2008. Wishing everyone the best in the future.

Steve, Tonya, Delaney, Zachary

Billinaz
04-09-2006, 12:35 AM
We not only rebooked onboard for a date that we will hopefully transfer to Christmas 2008 but we also have ressies for back to back Wonder cruises in 2007.

We want to see whats its like to stay onboard at PC.