PDA

View Full Version : RCI Canada: Florida extra vacations: Is it Cdn or US $s?

riu girl
02-04-2006, 08:33 PM
RCI extra vacation Orlando area prices have dropped for Dec. check-ins. Prices now approx. $279.98 (1 bdrm) to approx $309.99 (2 bdrm). I dont know if this in US or Canadian though.

I have asked this before but will ask again just to confirm:
RCI Canada : are the extra vacation prices in Canadian or US funds?

Thank you

DeeCeeSW
02-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi,
I checked RCI Extra Vacations myself this afternoon, and to my surprise I also discovered that rates have indeed dropped. For my dates in November, 1 AND 2 bedrooms are going for $229 a week at Vistana Resort and 2-bedrooms are going for $259 at Vistana Villages. Orange Lake is an unbelievable $199 for a studio and $229 for both 1 and 2 bedrooms.

I believe the prices you are seeing are in Canadian dollars as you are logging into the Canadian site. Yes, the US rate for the guest certificate is $49. The RCI site is down for maintenance right now, but if you want me to check anything for you tomorrow, let me know.

P.S. I booked the lower rate this afternoon. It pays to wait (or in this case, saves to wait).

riu girl
02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Sorry, I didn't know the rci site was down right now.
Would you mind tomorrow checking a property for me? I will pm you my check in date/property
This way I can confirm whether or not the rate is US or Cdn.

Thank you so much.

Congrats on your amazing rate :cheer2: . That is simply incredible.

DeeCeeSW
02-04-2006, 09:52 PM
I'll check tomorrow. Yes, I am VERY pleased with this rate!!!!!

lawgs
02-04-2006, 10:22 PM
riu

from what the other poster has said about prices for OLCC .....your cost of 309 would be in line in comparison to the 229 she is seeing.....

now if you could only get into the river island section with your "find".....

will be interesting to see if the sales rep knew what he was talking about when we were there in january .....he specifically said they were making changes with respect to exchangers/renters and what they can expect when they ask for specific locations within OLCC

at this rate the costs will be much cheaper than skyauction Ready Set Go

riu girl
02-05-2006, 10:23 AM
fyi,
It looks like there is also 15% state taxes charged on top of any FL extra vacation weeks prices.
This morning went to confirm extra vacation with RCI and the $309.99 CDN price has been increased to $350 due to the taxes.
Although the tax info. DOES not show up on the rci web site, a persons credit card will still be billed this amount, according to RCI.

Anybody else ever run into this when booking a FL extra vacation?

FayeW
02-05-2006, 10:43 AM
These are great prices! I'm guessing that these deals are only open to RCI members, and not available to the public? If so, would any of you recommend buying a cheap, obscure timeshare to take advantage of these deals?

DeeCeeSW
02-05-2006, 12:07 PM
riu girl--sent you a PM. I am really surprised by the state tax thing. I assume it is bc you are in Canada bc I have never had anything extra added on (other than the guest certificate).

FayeW-these prices are for RCI members. I do not own at RCI but have a friend who does, and she is able to book "extra vacations" for me. They do not require use of her points and she does not have to pay anything towards it. So, if you know someone who owns at RCI or II, you can ask them about it.

lawgs
02-06-2006, 11:40 AM
riu

think i read over on tug that this was a new "feature" they were adding to the extra vacations.....and i think it was said that the tax will be applied to last call vacations too....

would be nice to know if the tax is actually going to the state....wonder if anyone has contact with the government there ( maybe it was new legislation passed this year )

hmmmm...just thinking....15% tax....is that not what they charge us for all kinds of "goods and services" we receive here in Ontario....

i think they used to charge GST on exchanges....when they had a physical presence in toronto....now it depends where you call ....what you get...with respect to call centers

lawgs
02-06-2006, 11:54 AM
fayew

there is no guarantee that prices will always be so attractive or available, thus to buy a timeshare for just that purpose would not be dollar wise...

timeshares are an investment in vacations not in finanacial gain since like a car once you drive it off the lot the selling price is MUCH cheaper than what you originally paid

spiceycat
02-06-2006, 12:54 PM
that is why you buy resale!!!

II has been collecting and paying these taxes for a while....

rci should have done this 2 years ago - when the state starting asking for these taxes.... (they have been breaking the state laws since then - but you know big corporations 'these don't apply to me')...I guess some big state like Florida wanted to know where their taxes were..... :)

I already have my exchange for Dec - so while the sale is GREAT!!! I don't need another one...

lawgs
02-06-2006, 01:24 PM
spiceycat

what is the name attached to this tax?

why is it SO high....well not high since we pay 15% on most things we do up here in the great green north ..

spiceycat
02-06-2006, 02:15 PM
the state (fl) and local tax (kissimee) is 13%

some in Lake Buena Vista is 11.5%

I think Orange COunty is also 11.5%

It seems to go to where you are going too.

riu girl
02-06-2006, 04:35 PM
We will be staying in Kissimmee for our RCI extra vacation and I worked out the tax rate and it looks to be 13% so that would make sense. Our RCI extra vacation was confirmed today (for Dec) so we are pretty excited to say the least. Especially since we are sitting here looking at at least 1.5 ft. of snow (we live in a snowbelt area). It has been snowing non stop for 2 days!!
Can't wait for some FL sunshine again.

DeeCeeSW
02-06-2006, 04:47 PM
So this tax applies to everyone booking an Extra Vacation or just for those outside of the US? Please forgive me but I'm still not sure. I did not have an extra tax imposed when I booked on Saturday.

spiceycat
02-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Everyone!!!

you remember a couple of years ago when the states start fussing they weren't getting their taxes from internet sales...

II started it then.

Rci has just started it.

DeeCeeSW
02-06-2006, 05:01 PM
They must have started today, bc I did not have a tax imposed on Saturday, and I have checked my credit card. Not complaining, tho. Just curious.

lawgs
02-07-2006, 05:21 PM
dee cee

not to say they will not tack it on later on....anything is possible with RCI

DeeCeeSW
02-07-2006, 09:18 PM
dee cee

not to say they will not tack it on later on....anything is possible with RCI

Sure hope not. Technically, the tax was never disclosed on the RCI website or when I went through the booking process. So if they charge me after the fact, I think there's a good chance I could have the charge removed if I were to dispute it with my CC company.

Interestingly, if you call RCI directly to book, they have different rates than when you book on the website. When you call, the rate is about $30 higher (this was the case when I was looking into OLCC and VR as well). The guide explained that the online rate is a "discounted rate," but if you do the calculations, the difference between the prices the guides have and the prices on the website just about equals....the Florida state tax! Coincidence?

spiceycat
02-08-2006, 11:59 AM
no because they would add the tax later.

I don't know why you aren't paying the tax.

most people on tug mentioned in early Jan....

maybe your state does not require it.... :goodvibes

riu girl
02-08-2006, 10:11 PM
When going to an RCI resort, how far in advance of travel date would the actual resort have your reservation information in their computer system? The reason I am asking is because I would like to be able to make a room request and was wondering when the resort would have my reservation information.
This reservation was purchased as an extra vacation on-line with RCI.

Thank you

DeeCeeSW
02-08-2006, 11:00 PM
I was told 2 weeks prior to check-in by someone at Vistana Resort last year. I actually called RCI onemonth prior and asked that they please fax over my info. so I could make requests. They were nice about it and did it!

riu girl
02-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the info.

lawgs
02-09-2006, 10:21 PM
riu

what "room/location" request do you hope to make with this reservation....

the resort is quite large but from what they said when we did the tour, RCI exchangers can expect to be in the west village, but of course that can change

even when we called and we are owners, they were not very willing to tell us anything or accept requests.....

riu girl
02-10-2006, 08:21 AM
I am surprised that OLCC would not allow their owners to make requests. As an owner, you would think you would be given top priority over any other guests.

Regarding a location, it would be ideal (due to one of my childs needs) if we were assigned a unit close to a zero entry pool .

Although I assume we will be placed in the west village. Which would be fine also.

We are also hoping to try out the on site shuttle busses go between villages.

Have a great day.

lawgs
02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
riu

those shuttle buses seem to be plentiful on site ...walking from one village to another although it could be done ...could be a long distance

considering your request, that should be one that they might be able to accomodate or should accomodate

just a side note, if you check the weeks now, they are more expensive...

riu girl
02-10-2006, 03:32 PM
lawgs,
thanks for the info. I hope a lot of people were able to book an extra vacation at the reduced price. The price wasn't low for very long.

I am looking forward to using the on site shuttles. I read somewhere that they run approx. every 20 minutes.

Have a great weekend.

DeeCeeSW
02-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Wow, it's a good thing that I am so obsessive compulsive, otherwise I wouldn't have checked the site again and found the reduced price when I did, LOL.

luvdisney14
02-11-2006, 08:08 PM
I understand that you have to be a member of RCI for extra vacations. Can you just join if you don't own a timeshare just to get the benefit of extra vacation prices?

DeeCeeSW
02-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Oops!

lawgs
02-11-2006, 09:25 PM
luvdisney

that might be a question you would want to ask on TUG

www.tugbbs.com

thought we read somewhere that RCI was selling memberships without having to have a timeshare in your portfolio

not sure ...since this was a while back....