PDA

View Full Version : June & Gay Days

alcacael
01-31-2006, 08:49 AM
I am planning a trip to Disney June 1-6 with my kids ages 9,11,13 & 15. I have since found out that these include the Gay Days. While I would not change my dates if only my husband and I were going, I do not want to be in the position to answer questions about homosexuality while at Disney! Has anyone been on Gay Days and is it uncomfortable with kids as far as public affection etc?

Cheshire Figment
01-31-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't know where you live, but unless your children have been cloistered at those ages they have probably all been exposed to homosexual life. Several years ago my late wife and I (neither of us homosexual) had been in MK on Gay Day. Judy's comment was she had seen more PDA in teenage heterosexual couples on other trips than she had seen on Gay Day. You will see a lot of couples holding hands, but not much else. If you are asked questions, a reasonable answer/explanation is "Generally men and women love people from the opposite sex; however many men love other men and many women love other women."

Just don't wear red.

kimmbagley
01-31-2006, 09:31 AM
I am planning a trip to Disney June 1-6 with my kids ages 9,11,13 & 15. I have since found out that these include the Gay Days. While I would not change my dates if only my husband and I were going, I do not want to be in the position to answer questions about homosexuality while at Disney! Has anyone been on Gay Days and is it uncomfortable with kids as far as public affection etc?
sent you a PM

glass slipper girl
01-31-2006, 10:51 AM
:::delurking here...we haven't switched our cable options to showtime yet so I've been popping in to read what's happening on the L-Word! We'll switch towards the end of the season and I'll catch them from OnDemand.:::

My husband and I have been during Gay Days and have been in the Magic Kingdom for the day everyone was scheduled to be there. My kids are 3 and 5. For us, it was a non-issue. We saw no inappropriate PDA on that trip and I'd agree we saw more from hetero couples on other trips than we did from gay/lesbian couples on this trip. Children are very open and accepting. It will only be an issue if you make it one. My youngest didn't comment at all. My 5 year old commented on a gay couple there with their daughter. We were behind them in line and he heard their daughter calling one of them Dad and one Papa. My FIL is Papa to my sons so he said "that girl called him Papa but he's not old enough to be a Papa" (to him Papa = grandfather and these men were both mid 30s). I said "Papa doesn't always have to be a Poppy (my Dad is Poppy so that's his word for Grandfather). It can mean Daddy too." My son said "but she said HE's her Dad." (pointing to the other man) I said "but she has TWO Dads so she must call him Papa so nobody gets confused." The men in front of us smiled and one sort of mouthed "thanks." DS looked back and forth at them and said to the little girl "you've got 2 dads?" she nodded and he says "oh...that's cool." :) He asked later if the girl had 2 Moms too and I said no, that most families have a Mom and a Dad but that sometimes families are a little different. We talked about how the kids 2 doors down live with just their Mom and their Dad lives in another state (divorced) or his friend who has 2 families (parents divorced, both remarried with other kids and they share custody of DSs friend) and explained that in some families there are 2 Mommies or 2 Daddies. Later that day he pointed out 2 women standing with their arms around each other's waist and said "that must be a 2 Mommy family." That was that for him. He's never brought it up again but if he did, we'd answer honestly as we do with everything else that comes up. It will only be "uncomfortable" if you make it so. If they have questions, answer simply and honestly. We had friends there at the same time and they said their kids 7 & 10 either didn't notice at all or didn't comment if they did. Their 14 year old asked that evening if they noticed there were a few gay couples there. They said yes they noticed too. Their son's only comment was that there was a guy in line for POTC who sounded like he was a "Will" from Will and Grace. The only thing very "overt" that we saw was a group of maybe 8 men all with red shirts and Tinkerbelle stuff (pins, hats, red t-shirt with the pic of Tink sitting with her arms crossed that says "spoiled rotten" above it, one wearing a set of wings, one with the wand etc) getting off of IASW as we were getting on...they were singing along and laughing etc. Nothing offensive at all. My 3 year old said "they are being silly!" and giggled. They didn't see it as anything different than when DH was cutting up with Minnie at Chef Mickeys that morning or when he was acting silly with the waiter at Whispering Canyon Cafe.

I'd say don't worry about it. Go and have fun. If you are concerned, look at the schedule for what day Gay Days is scheduled to be in the Magic Kingdom and just plan a different park for that day. I would bet with your kids ages that (at least with the older ones if not all of them) they've seen something on TV with gay characters or have at least heard about those shows from friends. Will and Grace is on in reruns in the afternoon/early evenings now so it's not like it's only in the 9:00 hour on tv. If the kids ask anything it's more likely going to be something that can be answered easily and simply saying something like all families are different or just saying sometimes people fall in love with someone of the same gender. They aren't likely to ask anything that would require a big discussion at Disney like "and how does that make YOU feel" or "and what does the president think about that?" or any in depth questions about their lifestyle. If you feel like you need to discuss anything further with them, you can always offer the simple explanation on vacation and wait till you get home to open up a discussion about anything else.

Hope you have a great time on your vacation!

DVCLiz
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
:::delurking here...we haven't switched our cable options to showtime yet so I've been popping in to read what's happening on the L-Word! We'll switch towards the end of the season and I'll catch them from OnDemand.:::

My husband and I have been during Gay Days and have been in the Magic Kingdom for the day everyone was scheduled to be there. My kids are 3 and 5. For us, it was a non-issue. We saw no inappropriate PDA on that trip and I'd agree we saw more from hetero couples on other trips than we did from gay/lesbian couples on this trip. Children are very open and accepting. It will only be an issue if you make it one. My youngest didn't comment at all. My 5 year old commented on a gay couple there with their daughter. We were behind them in line and he heard their daughter calling one of them Dad and one Papa. My FIL is Papa to my sons so he said "that girl called him Papa but he's not old enough to be a Papa" (to him Papa = grandfather and these men were both mid 30s). I said "Papa doesn't always have to be a Poppy (my Dad is Poppy so that's his word for Grandfather). It can mean Daddy too." My son said "but she said HE's her Dad." (pointing to the other man) I said "but she has TWO Dads so she must call him Papa so nobody gets confused." The men in front of us smiled and one sort of mouthed "thanks." DS looked back and forth at them and said to the little girl "you've got 2 dads?" she nodded and he says "oh...that's cool." :) He asked later if the girl had 2 Moms too and I said no, that most families have a Mom and a Dad but that sometimes families are a little different. We talked about how the kids 2 doors down live with just their Mom and their Dad lives in another state (divorced) or his friend who has 2 families (parents divorced, both remarried with other kids and they share custody of DSs friend) and explained that in some families there are 2 Mommies or 2 Daddies. Later that day he pointed out 2 women standing with their arms around each other's waist and said "that must be a 2 Mommy family." That was that for him. He's never brought it up again but if he did, we'd answer honestly as we do with everything else that comes up. It will only be "uncomfortable" if you make it so. If they have questions, answer simply and honestly. We had friends there at the same time and they said their kids 7 & 10 either didn't notice at all or didn't comment if they did. Their 14 year old asked that evening if they noticed there were a few gay couples there. They said yes they noticed too. Their son's only comment was that there was a guy in line for POTC who sounded like he was a "Will" from Will and Grace. The only thing very "overt" that we saw was a group of maybe 8 men all with red shirts and Tinkerbelle stuff (pins, hats, red t-shirt with the pic of Tink sitting with her arms crossed that says "spoiled rotten" above it, one wearing a set of wings, one with the wand etc) getting off of IASW as we were getting on...they were singing along and laughing etc. Nothing offensive at all. My 3 year old said "they are being silly!" and giggled. They didn't see it as anything different than when DH was cutting up with Minnie at Chef Mickeys that morning or when he was acting silly with the waiter at Whispering Canyon Cafe.

I'd say don't worry about it. Go and have fun. If you are concerned, look at the schedule for what day Gay Days is scheduled to be in the Magic Kingdom and just plan a different park for that day. I would bet with your kids ages that (at least with the older ones if not all of them) they've seen something on TV with gay characters or have at least heard about those shows from friends. Will and Grace is on in reruns in the afternoon/early evenings now so it's not like it's only in the 9:00 hour on tv. If the kids ask anything it's more likely going to be something that can be answered easily and simply saying something like all families are different or just saying sometimes people fall in love with someone of the same gender. They aren't likely to ask anything that would require a big discussion at Disney like "and how does that make YOU feel" or "and what does the president think about that?" or any in depth questions about their lifestyle. If you feel like you need to discuss anything further with them, you can always offer the simple explanation on vacation and wait till you get home to open up a discussion about anything else.

Hope you have a great time on your vacation!
This is such a lovely post!!!!!

Mom2R&D
01-31-2006, 03:23 PM
We've been to WDW in '00, '02 and '04 and our first weekend always coincides with the last weekend of Gay Days. We've had our two DS's with us on each trip (who were 6 and 8 last time) and to be quite honest, they are so distracted by a million and one other things going on around them that they are quite oblivious to whether two men or women are holding hands! ;)

It's a non-issue with us and if they were to ask why we'd explain it to them (not that they don't have a basic understanding of what's going on...). But honestly, I've never seen anything shocking...or that would otherwise deserve any "comments".

Now if you want to talk about an irate mother screaming at a bus driver in front of a busload of people...that was a fun one to explain to the kids. (Why is that lady so mad? She's at Disney World for Pete's sake!) Ah, the innocence of youth... :p

pezpam
01-31-2006, 04:14 PM
This is such a lovely post!!!!!

It really is. Very well said, gsg! Of course, I almost spit soda out my nose at the mental pic of DD asking "What does the president think about it?" :rotfl2:

My DD has grown up around gay couples - both friends and family. She simply understands that some men love men and some women love women. Her only problem with any of it was when she went back to school after one visit with some of my friends and her classmates were telling her she was lying because men couldn't love each other. Luckily, it was just so normal for her that she basically said "Yuh-huh, they can!" and went on with her life.

At the end of the day, I'd bet a dollar that your teens (at least, perhaps the younger ones, too, frankly) already have some idea of what's up. Even if you did see something inappropriate, it's not like you have to explain anything in any more depth than you would if you saw a hetero couple making out like mad. Plus, imho, if you're trying to find a week *without* gay couples at WDW, it's not going to happen....... :rolleyes1

iankh
02-01-2006, 09:50 AM
We don't have kids (well Hisselfness does have grandchildren from when he was married). So I don't have a whole lot of experience with them, but because I'm on the executive board for my synagogue I have noticed that things are changing.

I organized a contigent from our synagogue to be in Chicago's gay pride parade last June and was AMAZED at the number of kids who dragged their parents and insisted that they're families participate. Aside from it being the first time that a mainstream synagogue was in the parade, it was delightful to see the diversity of our group and the diversity in the ages of the kids, from teenagers to toddlers. I guess their parents all must have set the tone for the littler ones, who had a blast being in a parade.

It seems to me that kids these days are very open and accepting, and are exposed to a lot more information than I might have been at that age.

I did chuckle regarding the Dad and Papa item in a posting above.

Hisselfness is not Jewish and his grandchildren call him "grand dad," and wanted to know what to call me. He told them that they should call me zeyde, which is Yiddish for grandpa. And which is what I grew up calling my grandfather (when I was young it was sort of a mystery to me why other kids had a grandfather and I had a zeyde). It took a bit of adjusting on my part since "zeyde" conjures up images of an elderly man.

I guess I should be thankful. At least he didn't tell them to call me bubbe!

SeattleRedBear
02-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I guess I should be thankful. At least he didn't tell them to call me bubbe!
Hey Bubbe!! (I love that!) Now you know I'll have to call you that :p : Hey Bubbie! Bubbala Bubbala (sorry...too many episodes of the Nanny)

My partner's 3-year-old grandson call us both Papa (Papa Rick & Papa Steve). We started out as 'grampas' but he changed it to 'papa'.

msdis
02-01-2006, 07:23 PM
It really is. Very well said, gsg! Of course, I almost spit soda out my nose at the mental pic of DD asking "What does the president think about it?" :rotfl2:

:rolleyes1

Who cares what he thinks about anything! Sorry, couldn't resist.

DVCLIZ-very well said
Sometimes lack of knowledge and understanding turns into innocent ignorance

We were concerned about this as we will be there this year the same time, and our concern was more out of fear of the unknown. I have had many co-workers, friends and relatives over the years who are gay and would never judge them any different than straight people.

pezpam
02-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Who cares what he thinks about anything! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Heehee. Well, not me! It's just that mental picture of her looking up at me and asking that seriously..... it's a picture so far removed from reality that I feel like I should be hurtling through space holding onto a towel and a book that says "Don't Panic" :rotfl2:

sajetto
02-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Isn't This is the same thread started in the families board on Monday. It was shut down b/c it got to heated. Why is it started again?

I'll stand by my answer "If it bothers you don't go at that time" Never bothered me but if you think you'll have an issue with your kids don't risk it.

BTW that child asking about the Dad and Papa has to one of the most adorable in the world! :rotfl:

Cheshire Figment
02-02-2006, 10:35 AM
But then of course you can check out this thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=998173

T&KHayes
02-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Ahhhh Cheshire! I think you are my new hero! :love:

Tinker*Shell*Bell
02-16-2006, 10:02 PM

I have never been during gay days but here's my guess: you and your childen will see Disney,characters, people who love each other, other kids , single parent families, handicapped people, foreigners, rude people, and public displays by strait couples and possibly by gay couples.

The older two probably see all of this on a daily basis (maybe not the Disney part) in their schools. I work in a public school and despite the rules the PDA's are there every day. Strait and gay and bi. Not graphic, just hand holding and kisses usually. No public school child will get through school without knowing about this subject.
If you can just roll with it, let them know that all people are different then you will be raising people who can see past the fear of different lifestyles and different people. Your children take their cues from you, if it's "no big deal" to you, it will be no big deal to them.

ECurto
02-17-2006, 01:21 AM
I cant... I just cant get into IT AGAIN.

beckmrk04
02-17-2006, 02:48 AM
I cant... I just cant get into IT AGAIN.

I'm with you. I say all days are GAY DAYS. As all days are straight days. Or bi days or any other days you can think of. You can't relegate love to one day, week, or month. It happens, thank God, every day of every week of every month. WHY IS THIS BEING DISCUSSED?

bubie2.5
02-17-2006, 07:51 AM
This is the schedule for this year's event.
http://www.gayday.com/schedule/2006/default.asp

If you want to avoid the crowds (or whatever) I suggest skipping MGM on June 1st, Epcot on June 2nd, MK on the 3rd, IoA on the 4th and AK on the 5th.

ECurto
02-17-2006, 07:58 AM
This is the schedule for this year's event.
http://www.gayday.com/schedule/2006/default.asp

If you want to avoid the crowds (or whatever) I suggest skipping MGM on June 1st, Epcot on June 2nd, MK on the 3rd, IoA on the 4th and AK on the 5th.

AND THE WORLD THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

bubie2.5
02-17-2006, 08:50 AM
AND THE WORLD THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

touche!

Mama Twinkles
02-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Dear Abby,

Iím not sure what to do and hope you can advise me. My non-traditional family will be at WDW for a special day in June where we can spend time in the blessedly relieving company of others like us. Our relationship is not legally recognized, though one state does permit us to marry. Unfortunately, judges there are thought to have overstepped their bounds, there is no federal recognition of our relationship and popular opinion is against us (though we are gaining support among enlightened Americans). My problem is this: how to explain to my young children the whispering and pointing at us, the disapproving looks, the attempts to steer children away from us that they donít even attempt to hide, and the sanctimonious private messaging among those there who do not approve of us. I mean, we are law-abiding, taxpaying, loving citizens who only want basic protections for our children. The funny thing is, Abby, that we are very ethical people, and would never hurt anyone. In fact, we work tirelessly to help others in our careers. And our detractors think we are hypersexual, which is a big joke if you know anything about sex after children! But above all they think we are sick and immoral, and that we are indulgent for choosing to be together. Abby, we are deeply in love and committed to each other. So how can we explain such bigotry to our young children, especially when we are a bit scared ourselves, having suffered discrimination for many years? Oh, I should have said at the outset, Abby, that we are an interracial, heterosexual couple, and that I am writing in February of 1960. Thank you for your advice.

Signed,
Love and Let Love

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/marriage.htm

beckmrk04
02-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Dear Abby,

Perfect! :cheer2:

bsusanmb
02-17-2006, 06:34 PM
I am a 56 yo married heterosexual woman. It isn't planned, but just about every other year we end up at WDW during Gay Pride week. As an adult, it took me a while to figure out what was going on. All I really noticed were a lot of red shirts. I just figured it was some large gathering.
I don't think kids would pick up on anything. I compare it to me and my high school gals going to the beach and acting all silly, like high school girls. We aren't gay, but we laugh and hang on each other, etc.
I must say, I never saw so many handsome men in my life, as I did at gay day in MK. You would have to be really looking hard to find a Bird Cage Nathan Lane type. I honestly got to the point that I realized that there is no way I could recognize a gay man anymore.
I think you will be fine, and just don't make a big deal out of it.
I have been in the pageantry arena for 38 years, and I am great friends with many gay men. I find them charming, sweet, and gentle. I have gay female friends, and again, they are just great people. I am not a liberal, in fact I am am a right wing, born again Christian, and a nurse. I just tend to look for the best in people, and enjoy seeing people having fun.

Mama Twinkles
02-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Perfect! :cheer2:

Thanks! :thumbsup2

padalyn
02-18-2006, 08:11 AM
wow - that was great!! The analogy is very powerful! well done Mama Twinkles!!!

Holly
02-18-2006, 09:43 AM
My husband and I have been at WDW twice during Gay Days with our children. What my children were exposed to were same sex couples (with or without their own children) having fun and enjoying WDW just like anyone else.

This type of post always reminds me of that post where the OP asked how to shelter her children from the "magic" at Disney so they wouldn't get exposed to witchcraft. :rotfl2:

My thought is always stay home! I'd rather be at WDW when every single guest is there for Gay Days than with one closeminded person like you.

T&KHayes
02-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Geeeezzzz the only things we think about when we are planning a Disney trip is......

When can we get the time off?
&
When can we afford it?
:crazy2:

mickeymousemom
02-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Mama Twinkles,

LOVED your post..perfectly put!

T&K Hayes,

You have a beautiful family!(I love looking at other people's pictures)

To the OP,

I am having a hard time understanding why(with children aged 9-15) you are concerned about what your children might see and how to "explain" these things to them...esp. the two older ones! In todays society, I find it extremely important to not shelter our kids from the way society is. It can breed hate, ignorance, and prejudice all the way around. Though it looks as though you aren't comfortable enough to be open with your kids about specific issues, I highly believe that most of them have, in some way, been exposed to homosexuality. The fact that Gay Days is going on at WDW during your vacation should be a moot point. Are you not concerned that you might see two heterosexuals lollygagging all over each other in front of your children?(happens) Or that your kids might see someone from another country wearing very revealing clothes?(happens) Or that you might see several teens wearing t-shirts with sayings that would embarrass(happens) Howard Stern?(is that possible?) THAT concerns me(with a 3yo) much more than having them see two men or two women holding hands(which, in reality doesn't concern me at all). Homosexuality is here. Its real. Its about two people of the same sex expressing love and affection for each other. Nothing wrong with that. Its been going on for thousands of years, I'd say and thank goodness it's now, in many ways, accepted. It seems pretty simple to me, TALK to your kids. ALWAYS talk to your children. If any questions are asked while there(I doubt much will be noticed, other than more red shirts than usual) take a lesson from Glass Slipper Girl and Pezpam...simply explain that two men can love each other, as can two women. Sometimes kids have two daddies(that they live with) or two mommies....make no issue of it and move on. Your kids will one day move out and be on their own. I would think you would want them to knowledgeable about what's out there, and to accept a person for who they are..not who they love. Makes me SO thankful that I can talk to my kids about most anything, and that they feel perfectly comfortable asking DH and I questions. My two oldest are 12 and 16 and I can't imagine any comments being made by either of them if we were to go during Gay Days.

At any rate, have a great trip!

Mama Twinkles
02-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks, padalyn and mickeymousemom, for your kind words about my "Dear Abby" post. Everyone is making such great points. The postings here provide a much-needed antidote to the venom that gets spewed on non-DIS message boards. I also think it sends an important message when gay and straight join together visibly to support equality and understanding.

mickeymousemom
02-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks, padalyn and mickeymousemom, for your kind words about my "Dear Abby" post. Everyone is making such great points. The postings here provide a much-needed antidote to the venom that gets spewed on non-DIS message boards. I also think it sends an important message when gay and straight join together visibly to support equality and understanding.

Amen!

tmorse65
02-19-2006, 03:32 AM
We've been about four times and about the only thing you'll see are people holding hands.
We're not going to this years GayDays, because last year the humidity was really bad. We're from the dry west and I just don't know how people can even function in humidity like that when its hot.

T&KHayes
02-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Thank you Mickeymousemom! These pictures were taken when we went on our first Disney cruise last Oct. and we had a blast!

WebmasterPete
02-19-2006, 12:39 PM
The OP's question was very legitimate, and I felt some responses here went too far in suggesting that she is in some way homophobic for wanting to set limits on what she exposes her children to. I think that is every parents right and responsibility to do, whether or not I agree with their choices or not. I would no more want other people defining my parenting skills for me than I want my government determining what 'love' falls within the category of 'appropriate'.

The OP came here to ask a legitimate question, and I don't feel she deserved to be painted with the brush she was painted with. Tolerance is not a one way street folks. It also requires us to bridge the gap by trying to see things from other perspectives. I seriously doubt that if the OP was a homophobe (as some have suggested here), that she would have posed the question on this board. Considering that the question could have been asked legitimately on several other forums on this site.

Yes, we're all a bit sensitive to the issue because we've been beaten up with it most of our lives - but let's save our fight for the people who would do us harm, not those trying to understand.

Pete

mickeymousemom
02-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Thank you Mickeymousemom! These pictures were taken when we went on our first Disney cruise last Oct. and we had a blast!

You had those pics taken on a cruise??? They look so professional, I didn't know you could get something like that!

mickeymousemom
02-19-2006, 01:09 PM
The OP's question was very legitimate, and I felt some responses here went too far in suggesting that she is in some way homophobic for wanting to set limits on what she exposes her children to. I think that is every parents right and responsibility to do, whether or not I agree with their choices or not. I would no more want other people defining my parenting skills for me than I want my government determining what 'love' falls within the category of 'appropriate'.

The OP came here to ask a legitimate question, and I don't feel she deserved to be painted with the brush she was painted with. Tolerance is not a one way street folks. It also requires us to bridge the gap by trying to see things from other perspectives. I seriously doubt that if the OP was a homophobe (as some have suggested here), that she would have posed the question on this board. Considering that the question could have been asked legitimately on several other forums on this site.

Yes, we're all a bit sensitive to the issue because we've been beaten up with it most of our lives - but let's save our fight for the people who would do us harm, not those trying to understand.

Pete

I certainly don't want to upset the OP, and as legit as her question may be, I find it rather odd that she's concerned about her children asking questions. The two youngest, MAYBE. When I said that a person should talk to their children, I meant that EVERYONE should talk to their children..its only common sense that the lines of communication with our kids should always be kept open. Yes, if a 13 and 15 yo know nothing about homosexuality, then I honestly do find that a bit of a problem. As straight as I may be, even I take offense to the fact that the OP would think about changing her vacation dates because of having to answer questions about homosexuality. I'm sorry if it looks as though I'm trying to tell the OP how to parent. That I am not. I am only suggesting that maybe she open up the lines of communication between her and her children. This is the 21st Century. Tolerance of many a thing should be something we automatically WANT to teach our kids. I have no problem tolerating a person who thinks specific things in today's society are wrong...but I would expect the same tolerance from THEM on today's issues(meaning that they keep their judgments to themselves). The OP did not say she thought anything was wrong with homosexuality, though I believe the implication was there. Maybe she is just someone who never thought about talking to her kids on the subject and now it will be in her face...that's fine...which is why I suggested that she TALK to her kids. I just can't stress enough how important this is. If the tone of this sounds bad, I apologize ahead of time. I don;t mean it to be that way. I'm only explaining my post, and explaining things is NOT one of my strong suits :worried:.

edited to add:....nothing wrong with setting limits for your children, as far as exposure to certain things, but the limits I set for my children have to do with BAD things, such as porn, alcohol, drugs, violent movies, etc. Homosexuality is not dirty or bad, and I make sure my kids know this. I don't want them seeing two straight OR gay persons doing too much lollygagging in their midst. Okay, I get the feeling I'm rambling here, time to go...excuse my post if its as goofy as I think it might be! :goofy:

:rainbow: J

Mama Twinkles
02-19-2006, 04:52 PM
The OP's question was very legitimate, and I felt some responses here went too far in suggesting that she is in some way homophobic for wanting to set limits on what she exposes her children to.
Pete, with all due respect (and I DO respect you, and am very grateful to you for what you give all of us), the OP views the problem as being with what she might encounter at WDW rather than with her own discomfort. This misattribution of the problem is precisely what raises the dander of those of us who live daily with discrimination. Substitute "interracial couples," say, for "gay," and you will understand precisely why the post is hurtful. The judgments contained in her assumptions are no doubt subtle to those who are not on the receiving end of them, but quite blatant to the rest of us. I do agree, though, that we should be understanding and kind, and attempt to educate rather than attack those who do not realize they are assailing us, and I do not doubt the OP's good intentions.

Pete, anyone who thinks they have anything to fear in exposing their children to me or any gay person I have EVER known is misguided. In addition, PDA's among gay people are very unusual. If a few occur at WDW and freak someone out, surely their double standard (if they are not equally freaked out by far more common straight PDA's) is their problem, and not gay people's.

mickeymousemom
02-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Mama Twinkles,

You speak SOOOO much better than I. I am beginning to think I spoketh too much.... :worried:

I still stick to my guns about the communication thing. When we communicate with our kids in a positive and open manner, we are then educating them. Maybe I am wrong, but I saw so many things being said in such a short post(the OP)...of course we all know what assumptions can do(and that includes ME!)