PDA

View Full Version : Ebay & Money Orders

Kayla's Mom
01-30-2006, 09:26 AM
I would really appreciate some help here. I am fairly new to selling on Ebay and I only accept Paypal. A potential buyer (with a feedback score of 0) emailed me asking if I would take a money order. I am not sure how money orders work, but from doing a search on these forums I read that I should wait for the MO to clear just like I would a personal check.

How long should I wait to make sure the MO clears and what if it doesn't clear, I am assuming I would get charged a fee by my bank? This is for an item under 20 dollars BTW. Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA!! :wave2:

Callalily6
01-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi! You could request that the MO be sent from BidPay - and online MO company. My main problem with eBay people and MO is that they never send the payment. BidPay takes the effort out of it for them and BidPay mails you the payment and lets you know it was sent. Also, most of my MO people try PayPal when I tell them it works in their favor if the transaction gets messed up (it works in my favor too). Most then sign up for PayPal. But, if the person doesnt want to do BidPay you could tell them that they need to provide a tracking number on the payment within 24 hours of the auctions close. That seems to keep deadbeats from bidding. And then I usually wait 48 hours before I ship. Hope that helps! Good luck with your eBAy biz!

CJMickeyMouse
01-30-2006, 09:50 AM
I am one of those non-paypal ebay buyers.... I regularly send money orders (or did when I was buying items regularly). I would have no problem with you waiting until the MO cleared to send the item..... If I were you I would just ask your bank how long it would take and check back with them to be sure.

Good luck!

LisaNJ25
01-30-2006, 09:53 AM
You can also ask for a USPS money order only. From what I have read those seem to be safer.

HayGan
01-30-2006, 09:54 AM
As a seller, I only accept Paypal and US Post Office money orders. No waiting to see if the MO clears or not - just cash it right at the PO. Plus I'm not taking a chance on a bogus MO and the fees associated with that.

Kayla's Mom
01-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Also, most of my MO people try PayPal when I tell them it works in their favor if the transaction gets messed up (it works in my favor too). Most then sign up for PayPal.

I forgot to include that she says she won't use Paypal because she has been burned by them before... :confused3

I never thought of a USPS MO and cashing it right at the Post Office instead of my bank. Thanks HayGan! :teeth:

Thanks so much everyone for your quick responses!

JoiseyMom
01-30-2006, 11:14 AM
The only problem with asking for USPS Money Order only, is all the people that don't read, and send another sort of money order. I get that ALL the time. I used to take paypal, but don't take credit cards, so I can't put it in my auctions anymore. I have had 3 of my last buyers, say...oops, I didn't realize you didn't take paypal. The most recent was yesterday, and they are going to be out of town for two weeks and wants to know if that will be a problem. Ummm...duh. So I told them if they can't get to a post office while they are away, I am going to have to file a NPD so I can get back my final fees, and relist. I am soo soo annoyed.

pyrxtc
01-30-2006, 12:00 PM
I do not paypal and never wil so I look for auctions that take MO's. I will not buy a USPS money order, my bank does them for free. If I ahve to pay for a MO, then that amount should be taken out of my auction amount. I would be paying the price I bid for the item, shipping, insurance, and the cost of the money order, no thanks!

I accept MO's from anywhere and I send the item out when they are cleared. I also take personal chacks and have never had a problem witht hem either. At least the check has all the info of the person on it.

welovedis
01-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi! You could request that the MO be sent from BidPay - and online MO company. My main problem with eBay people and MO is that they never send the payment. BidPay takes the effort out of it for them and BidPay mails you the payment and lets you know it was sent. Also, most of my MO people try PayPal when I tell them it works in their favor if the transaction gets messed up (it works in my favor too). Most then sign up for PayPal. But, if the person doesnt want to do BidPay you could tell them that they need to provide a tracking number on the payment within 24 hours of the auctions close. That seems to keep deadbeats from bidding. And then I usually wait 48 hours before I ship. Hope that helps! Good luck with your eBAy biz!

BidPay discontinued operations on December 31, 2005.

welovedis
01-30-2006, 12:19 PM
I do not paypal and never wil so I look for auctions that take MO's. I will not buy a USPS money order, my bank does them for free. If I ahve to pay for a MO, then that amount should be taken out of my auction amount. I would be paying the price I bid for the item, shipping, insurance, and the cost of the money order, no thanks!

I accept MO's from anywhere and I send the item out when they are cleared. I also take personal chacks and have never had a problem witht hem either. At least the check has all the info of the person on it.

If you choose not to deal with paypal, and also wish not to purchase USPS money orders then obviously it is your prerogative. However, I've been burned by a non-USPS MO & in the future they will be the only MO I accept. A stop payment can be issued by some MO companies as long as 30 days after it is issued, long after my bank said the MO was cleared.

C.Ann
01-30-2006, 12:19 PM
I accept (and it's stated right in my auctions) Paypal and USPS money orders only.. Less hassle - no waiting and wondering if the MO is going to clear..

seashoreCM
01-30-2006, 12:47 PM
The places where problems can occur are different but on aveage I consider money orders and Paypal to have equal reliability.

If you are using services similar to Bidpay it is perfectly OK to wait for the payment to arrive (which may be some time after the confirmation email) before sending out the item.

If a buyer sends you a money order without asking while you say Paypal only, you may choose to wait a few days before shipping for the money order to clear. If a buyer asks about money orders while you say Paypal only you may choose to accept but say there will be a delay of x days.

As a seller you must accept what your listing says you will accept. If you send Paypal items only to designated addresses you must say so in your listing. If you don't accept what your listing says you will accept the buyer may back out and the situation is a non-performing seller, not a non-performing buyer.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

44sun
01-30-2006, 03:52 PM
How funny that I just got back from the bank making my ebay deposit & read this thread...

I stand at the bank while the teller checks all mo's in my deposit. (I should note that I go when the bank is slow as not to hold up the lines.) I state in my terms that I will send the merchandise out AFTER payment has cleared. So far I haven't been burned. Last week I looked up the phone number of the issuing bank myself & confirmed the funds. As far as the USPS mo's go, the news has been talking about them being forged lately. Hmmm...

The Western Union mo I deposited today was sent from MD but drawn on a local WU here (Colorado). Again, hmmmm...

Good luck on your auctions!

DMRick
01-31-2006, 12:38 AM
We accept checks/mo's (from anywhere) and paypal. Been in business for years (just celebrated our 10th anniversary), and have had one bad check, which was repaid. If the check was over $50 I would wait until it clears, (well, if I remembered), but that's about it. Nothing is safe..Paypal has chargebacks, checks can bounce, mo's can be forged.