PDA

View Full Version : August 27, 2006 4 night Wonder

Pages : [1] 2

emmabelle
01-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Anyone on this cruise? We're a mom, dad, son 16 and daughter 14 at the time of sailing. :)

S.S.Oceanlover
01-28-2006, 03:42 AM
here I thought we would have the whole ship to ourselves :rotfl2:

We will have to families going with 2 teens 17, and 16, and a 10 year old girl.

Nice to meet you Emmabelle :)

Bill

emmabelle
01-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Bill,

I'm so excited for the cruise. Just curious, are the 17 and 16 year olds, boys or girls?

S.S.Oceanlover
01-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Oops. They are both boys.

Bill

bellelinus
01-31-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm going with my three daughters, who will be 14, 11, and 9 by the time we sail.

emmabelle
02-01-2006, 10:54 AM
This is sounding good, I'll hook my son up with Bill's son and his friend and my daughter with Bellelinus's girls. How perfect! :thumbsup2

S.S.Oceanlover
02-02-2006, 01:55 AM
HI bellelinus welcome to the thread.

Are any of you guys coming down to Florida the day before the cruise? We will be coming in on the 26th and staying at the new Residence Inn.

Emmabelle,
I don't know how you're son is but if you want him to become obnoxious you can team him up with our guys!! :rotfl2: They are typical teens.

Bill

bellelinus
02-02-2006, 10:40 AM
We will already be in Florida -- on the 24th we have reservations to do a day at Discovery Cove and then we'll do Sea World the 25th and 26th. I haven't figured out where to stay yet, since I'm not familiar with the Sea World area, but I have time . . .

emmabelle
02-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi Bill,

My son is turning 16 in three weeks, yikes! :eek: We're planning on coming in on the 26th, I've booked the Holiday Inn, I got it for $60 through Easy Click Travel, couldn't pass that one up. (Holiday Inn's website was around $130)
Just waiting for Southwest to open up our dates so I can book the air. :)

S.S.Oceanlover
02-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Bellelinus,

We are doing the same thing on our other cruise in June. We cruise on June 19, but we are flying in June 17th. Haven't booked a hotel yet. Looking to book the Residence Inn at SeaWorld. It's about 1/2 mile from Sea World and has great reviews on www.tripadvisor.com.
The hotel is rated #3 out of 282 in Florida.

Residence Inn SeaWorld reviews (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34515-d223841-Reviews-Residence_Inn_Orlando_SeaWorld_International_Cente r-Orlando_Florida.html)

Emmabelle,
Ah a 16 year old under your roof, what fun. :banana:
My son doesn't speak english anymore. He speak caveman. He just grunts and eats. :teeth:
I'm waiting for SW air to open up for our air in June. I check every day. Only open for June 9th as of now. I keep seeing ads for SW and to book by febrruary 9th. Hopefully they'll open the dates for the summer around then.
If I see them open up I'll post here as soon as I find out.

Bill

bellelinus
02-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the advice about the Residence Inn, Bill! Be sure and tell me how this worked for you after you get back from your first cruise (lucky you!) in June.

emmabelle
02-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Bill,

I wish I could get the airfare set, SW will probably just open up the dates to July 31, so I'll have to wait again. I have a credit with them so I have to use them, I usually fly Song or Jetblue. Come on SW, I'm getting anxious. :rolleyes:

(BTW, As long as I don't try to talk to my son before breakfast I'm usually ok.)

MrsScooby
02-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi all ! We're going too. There will be four of us. Myself, DH, DS 12 and DD9.
We are flying down the day before, probably renting a car, but not sure where we'll be staying yet (somewhere by the port).

Laurie :)

emmabelle
02-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Welcome to the thread Laurie, my name's Lori too. ;)

What dinner seating does everyone have? We have first seating.

MrsScooby
02-04-2006, 02:16 PM
We're first seating as well. We plan on doing Palo for dinner and brunch, just not sure which night for the dinner yet.

Laurie

S.S.Oceanlover
02-04-2006, 06:18 PM
HI Laurie and welcome. We have main confirmed whatever time that is.

some hotels by the port.
Residence Inn (http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/MLBRI)
Radisson at the Port (http://www.radisson.com/hoteldirectory/hotelbio.jsp?hotelCode=FLCOCOA&hotelBrandCode=RAD&key=hoteldirectory.info.&origin=Hotel%20Directory&backURI=http:%2F%2Fwww.radisson.com%2Freservation% 2FhotelPreference.do%3FlocationUni%3D527%26dno%3D0 4040604050621)
Ron Jon Cape Caribe (http://www.ronjonresort.com/)
Four Points by Sheraton Cocoa Beach (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=1515)

Emmabelle,
Do you mind if I call you Lori instead? A lot less keystrokes and easier to spell. :lmao:

Bill

bellelinus
02-04-2006, 08:02 PM
We have the early seating, too!

S.S.Oceanlover
02-05-2006, 01:57 AM
we have main seating whatever that means. :rolleyes2

Bill

bellelinus
02-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Bill, I think the main seating is the first one (6 PM), so you have the early seating like we do.

S.S.Oceanlover
02-05-2006, 01:49 PM
I have a question pertaining to these boards. Do any of you get any email notification when somebody post to a subscribed thread?
I am subscribed but never get any notifications. I have to keep coming back, looking for the thread. Am I doing something wrong?

Bill

MrsScooby
02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the hotel links Bill !
I did subscribe for a daily notification and just checked my e-mail and there it is :) . Maybe check and make sure your subscription went through--there are two submit reply buttons to choose from. Maybe you needed to push the second one for your subscription to go through or something. :confused3

Anyone decided on excursions yet?

Laurie :banana:

S.S.Oceanlover
02-07-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm sure in Nassau most of our group will be doing the Dolphin Encounter. We did it last year and my wife can't wait to do it again.

On Castaway Cay I'll probably just rent some snorkeling gear and veg out all day.

Bill

emmabelle
02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi Bill,

Yes, Lori is fine, Emmabelle is actually my cat's name. :cat:

The way I find the threads that I have posted on is to do a Search, then type in my screen name and then I get all the threads I've posted to. It's so easy that way.

I'd like to do the dolphin encounter, I think it's cheaper in Nassau than doing it at Discovery Cove, I'll have to look into it.

Main seating is the earlier seating. The way I understand it to be is depending on the dining rotation you get, each restaurant starts at a different time, one starts at 5:45, another 6:00 and the last at 6:15.

S.S.Oceanlover
02-07-2006, 06:14 PM
sorry about that folks!

S.S.Oceanlover
02-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey Goofy, you need to have your own identity and don't use mine. Log off using my name and register with your own.

BTW Happy Anniversary Karen & Bruce!

Bill

S.S.Oceanlover
02-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi Bill,

Yes, Lori is fine, Emmabelle is actually my cat's name. :cat:

The way I find the threads that I have posted on is to do a Search, then type in my screen name and then I get all the threads I've posted to. It's so easy that way.

I'd like to do the dolphin encounter, I think it's cheaper in Nassau than doing it at Discovery Cove, I'll have to look into it.

Main seating is the earlier seating. The way I understand it to be is depending on the dining rotation you get, each restaurant starts at a different time, one starts at 5:45, another 6:00 and the last at 6:15.

Lori,
I don't know the price at Discovery cove but at www.dolphinencounters.com it's $85.00 and $165 for the swim.
When I'm on the cruise I need to eat early and often. :rotfl2:

Bill

bellelinus
02-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Discovery Cove is $279 each, but includes not only the dolphin encounter but also the entire day at the park, meals, the cove with stingrays, the aviary, snorkeling and equipment, plus 7 consecutive days at Sea World. For me and my girls it seemed better to do DC a few days before the cruise and then do SW a few days than to do the dolphin encounter at Nassau. If you are only interested in the dolphin encounter, though, you'd certainly save money doing it as an excursion at Nassau.

We will probably do a day room at Atlantis or Comfort Suites in order to use the Atlantis waterpark the day we are there. As for Castaway Cay, I think the only excursion planned is that my oldest daughter wants to do "The Wild Side" (biking, kayaking, and snorkling for teens only).

emmabelle
02-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Bill,

Have you done the dolphin encounter or the swim? I'm trying to decide if just doing the encounter would be enough. Thanks! :)

Bellelinus,

Thanks for the info on Discovery Cove, it sounds awesome, just a little more than we want to spend. ;)

bellelinus
02-09-2006, 11:25 AM
I totally understand! I actually prefer to try to forget how much it is and had to look at my confirmation to tell you the rate! Now I'm promptly going to forget it again -- if we thought of how much all this is (DCL too) every minute, we could never enjoy it . . .

emmabelle
02-09-2006, 01:14 PM
I totally understand! I actually prefer to try to forget how much it is and had to look at my confirmation to tell you the rate! Now I'm promptly going to forget it again -- if we thought of how much all this is (DCL too) every minute, we could never enjoy it . . .

lol, I hear yah! :teeth:

BD Moose
02-09-2006, 08:26 PM
It will be our 1st cruise, mom dad,daughter and son.

S.S.Oceanlover
02-09-2006, 11:13 PM
It will be are 1st cruise mon dad,daughterand son
Not taking your wife??

Bill,

Have you done the dolphin encounter or the swim? I'm trying to decide if just doing the encounter would be enough. Thanks!

My wife and son did the encounter. I just observed. I told ya I was cheap. :rotfl2:
http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/dolph109.jpg

Bill

emmabelle
02-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Bill,

Did your wife and son think that doing the encounter was enough or had they wished they had done the swim?

S.S.Oceanlover
02-10-2006, 03:01 PM
They aren't the adventurous type. They were both thrilled. While teens don't show much emotion I could tell he had a great time. My wife was beaming from ear to ear for the rest of the day.
For them that was plenty. My BIL and niece said they'd wished they did the swim. So I guess it's up to each individual. :confused3

Bill

emmabelle
02-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks Bill, I too am cheap, so we'd do the encounter, just wanted to make sure we wouldn't be disappointed.

MrsScooby
02-11-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm trying to convince DH that the Dolphin Swim is worth the money. Last time we went we did the Atlantis tour (fun) and I spent alot at the spa (just ok), but this swim would be even more money for the four of us. I'm just afraid to only book myself and the kids and have my DH regret it.
(That encounter picture of yours Bill looks great ! :thumbsup2 )
My kids and I are super dolphin fans and we couldn't do it last time because DD was too young.

Laurie

MrsScooby
02-11-2006, 10:48 PM
BTW, I don't think you guys are cheap :) , it is alot of money to spend on one excursion for a family. We would scrimp elsewhere in order to afford the dolphin swim.

Laurie

MrsScooby
02-17-2006, 07:33 PM
We plan on being the first ones on the ship this time. Anyone else gonna be there early too ? :cool1:

S.S.Oceanlover
02-18-2006, 12:07 AM
What time can you get there without having to stand in the hot sun? LMK and that's when we'll be there.
Is the pool open when you get onboard the first day?

Bill

bellelinus
02-18-2006, 08:36 AM
We plan to get there early as well. From what I have read, you are allowed on around 11:30 to 12, and the pools and lunch buffet are open then. I think even when you are waiting to board you are inside the terminal instead of being out in the hot sun. I believe they open up security at the terminal around 10:30 or so (again, I haven't cruised before, but this is what I have read).

S.S.Oceanlover
02-18-2006, 10:20 PM
We plan to get there early as well. From what I have read, you are allowed on around 11:30 to 12, and the pools and lunch buffet are open then. I think even when you are waiting to board you are inside the terminal instead of being out in the hot sun. I believe they open up security at the terminal around 10:30 or so (again, I haven't cruised before, but this is what I have read).

by the time we get everybody ready, grab some breakfast, take the cars to Avis it should be about 11am. Who sleeps the night before? It's like waiting for Santa to come on Christmas eve. :thumbsup2

As long as we don't have to wait in the sun I'm there early to take in as much as I can. :)

Bill

emmabelle
02-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm kind of bummed, we had to change our cruise to the week before (Aug 24)because our school system is threatening to start school the last week of August. We decided to do the three night instead and book a cat. 9, we had been booked on a cat. 12 on the four night. Oh well, we'll be getting off the boat when you guys are getting on, :sad: hope all you guys have a great time! :)

bellelinus
02-19-2006, 05:13 PM
I am really sorry to hear that you won't be making our 4 night cruise! It's terrible not to know the school schedule enough in advance. The 3 night cruise should give you a nice feeling for what it is like, and maybe you can re-book a longer cruise while onboard (and get the discount). I'm sure you'll enjoy the cat. 9. Maybe we'll see you on a future cruise!

MrsScooby
02-19-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm sorry too, Lori. But the catagory 9 will be better than the 12, (doesn't it have the split bath ?)
It will still be alot of fun and bellelinus is right about booking the next cruise on board :)
Unless you were unable to book your reservations online, there really isn't a pressing need to be at the port early (except that it is like Christmas and gives you more time to explore the ship and adds to the excitement, etc).
This cruise (and the planning) make me feel like a kid again :)

Laurie

emmabelle
02-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replies! You guys all better hook up on the cruise, I plan to keep checking up on this thread! :teeth:

It definately stinks not knowing the school schedule. If I hadn't changed the cruise I would have been a wreck worrying about it, so we decided to just change it.

S.S.Oceanlover
02-20-2006, 12:08 AM
I too am sorry to hear that you won't be cruising with us. :(
Have fun or your cruise and save some food for us. :)

Bill

MrsScooby
02-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi all !
Have you had a chance to see Timon's video of her Magic cruise ? I thought it gave a great view of what the ship was like. The Magic is almost identical to the Wonder and while we won't see the same ports, we both go to Castaway Cay (toward the end of her video). If you look up "Timon" you can find her post in the Discussion Forum.
It also gives a great view of what the boarding terminal looks like.
I wish I could post a direct link, but I'm so spastic with the computer you'll find it faster if you search :rotfl:

Laurie

S.S.Oceanlover
02-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Laurie,
Thanks for posting about that. It was very cool. After I finally found it I also copied the link and here it is:
http://www.cassworld.ca/videosmagic2005.htm

Thanks again
Bill

bellelinus
02-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Thank for posting that -- it makes it all seem real! I'm sure the reality will be even better, though.

MrsScooby
03-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Are any of you into pin collecting ? My DS, DD and I have a "small" collection and can't wait to trade with the CMs when we get to the Wonder. :banana:

Laurie

bellelinus
03-02-2006, 09:59 AM
No, I've consciously avoided starting up the whole pin collecting thing for fear that it could snowball into a major financial and time issue! I would bet that the ship is a great place to do it, though.

MrsScooby
03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
My DS 12 and DD(almost 9) and I got our start "pin trading" on the Wonder in 2002. The CMs in the stores were so pleasant to chat with and they were the ones that got us started.
My DS is somewhat annoyed with me because I have suggested he leave his gameboy at home. He mostly wants it for on the plane and the car ride to PC. For those of you who have older sons, do they outgrow this gameboy addiction or just replace it with something else ? :sad2:

Laurie

bellelinus
03-07-2006, 08:04 AM
With three girls, there's not a gameboy in our apartment -- they would have no clue what to do if they were given one for a few hours. However, my nephew spent an entire beach vacation (we went for a week last year with my sister and her son) inside playing his! I guess I would say, as long as he's only using it on the plane and trip to PC, that's fine -- but not on the ship. After spending that much, you would hate to see him doing the exact same things he can do at home!

Maybe a parent of teenage boys can help you with whether this will pass or be replaced . . .

S.S.Oceanlover
03-07-2006, 04:03 PM
My DS 12 and DD(almost 9) and I got our start "pin trading" on the Wonder in 2002. The CMs in the stores were so pleasant to chat with and they were the ones that got us started.
My DS is somewhat annoyed with me because I have suggested he leave his gameboy at home. He mostly wants it for on the plane and the car ride to PC. For those of you who have older sons, do they outgrow this gameboy addiction or just replace it with something else ? :sad2:

Laurie

The Gameboy is outgrown. Now it's a laptop that goes everywhere.

Bill

MrsScooby
03-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Yup, he's already negotiating for the laptop.
My DH also thinks I should lighten up as far as the gameboy is concerned. I'll probably cave in and let him bring the gameboy for the plane and car trip and then confiscate it for the rest of the trip.

Laurie

S.S.Oceanlover
04-20-2006, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the advice about the Residence Inn, Bill! Be sure and tell me how this worked for you after you get back from your first cruise (lucky you!) in June.

Won't be able to let you know since we wound up booking the Hyatt Grand Cypress for the June cruise.

I wish I could get the airfare set, SW will probably just open up the dates to July 31, so I'll have to wait again. I have a credit with them so I have to use them, I usually fly Song or Jetblue. Come on SW, I'm getting anxious.

The flights opened up on Southwest yesterday for your August dates.
Good Luck!

Bill

bellelinus
04-20-2006, 08:13 AM
The Cypress looks great -- hope you enjoy it, Bill. I'm still waiting a while longer to see if a deal comes out for my hotel the few days before the cruise. I'll have a rental car, so it doesn't matter so much if I am right at SeaWorld/Discovery Cove.

emmabelle
04-20-2006, 09:30 AM
The flights opened up on Southwest yesterday for your August dates.
Good Luck!

Bill

Got my flights, had to pay more than I wanted, $261 per person for August, yikes! :scared1: A $100 more pp than I thought I would've had to pay for hurricane season. We are getting the free dining though and added a night at the Beach Club, so all is good. :thumbsup2

S.S.Oceanlover
04-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Got my flights, had to pay more than I wanted, $261 per person for August, yikes! A $100 more pp than I thought I would've had to pay for hurricane season. We are getting the free dining though and added a night at the Beach Club, so all is good.

That stinks. I guess with the fuel cost so high they have to pass the cost on to us to stay in business. :sad2: I hope you have a wonderful trip! :woohoo:

The Cypress looks great -- hope you enjoy it, Bill. I'm still waiting a while longer to see if a deal comes out for my hotel the few days before the cruise. I'll have a rental car, so it doesn't matter so much if I am right at SeaWorld/Discovery Cove.

The Grand Cypress looks awesome. It is way more than I'd ever book if I had to pay full price. We got it for $100 a night. We'll have a car also. I gotta get to Sonnys BBQ Pit while I'm in Orlando. :smooth:

Bill

bellelinus
04-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Bill, where did you find Grand Cypress for $100? That's the kind of deal I am waiting for!

S.S.Oceanlover
04-21-2006, 03:15 AM
Bill, where did you find Grand Cypress for $100? That's the kind of deal I am waiting for!

I got it on Priceline on March 5th. I just bid $90.00 for Resort and it was rejected but said if i raised my bid $22.00 it would be accepted. From reading www.biddingfortravel.com I learned that you should just bid about half that. So I bumped it up another $10.00 and i got it. :cool1:

Bill

bellelinus
04-21-2006, 07:17 AM
That is in the WDW bidding zone, right? I think I will try Priceline closer to time and see if I can get a good deal on a resort. You are about 6 weeks away from the days you bid on, I think, so I will probably start trying around the beginning of June to get something for August. Wait - I just saw that you bid on it March 5th . . . so I guess it doesn't hurt to start trying off and on now.

S.S.Oceanlover
04-21-2006, 12:31 PM
That is in the WDW bidding zone, right? I think I will try Priceline closer to time and see if I can get a good deal on a resort. You are about 6 weeks away from the days you bid on, I think, so I will probably start trying around the beginning of June to get something for August. Wait - I just saw that you bid on it March 5th . . . so I guess it doesn't hurt to start trying off and on now.

Yes it is the WDW resort zone. If your bid is accepted in the resort zone you can't go wrong no matter what you get. That was my way of thinking anyway.
I wouldn't say it's too early to bid. Just don't get carried away overbidding. lol
Since it's a resort zone there are a lot of free bids available if the first one isn't accepted.
Good luck and let me know how you make out. I love bargain. :thumbsup2

Bill

emmabelle
04-21-2006, 03:52 PM
I got it on Priceline on March 5th. I just bid $90.00 for Resort and it was rejected but said if i raised my bid $22.00 it would be accepted. From reading www.biddingfortravel.com I learned that you should just bid about half that. So I bumped it up another $10.00 and i got it. :cool1:

Bill

I love to dabble with Priceline, that was a low bid to be accepted by the Cypress, you did really well! :thumbsup2 I love biddingfortravel also.

victoryblu
04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
we are going on hour first cruise just dad and the girls hope top meet up with some fun friends

S.S.Oceanlover
04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Welcome Victoryblu. Nice to hear you'll be joining us for this cruise. :)
What are the ages of the kids?? Did you book a hotel for the day before in Port canaveral?

Bill

victoryblu
04-29-2006, 09:17 AM
hi everyone the girls are 9&12 and we are flying in two days early hope two stay at wdw until the cruise anybody have suggestions on where to stay at wdw?

S.S.Oceanlover
04-30-2006, 12:12 AM
hi everyone the girls are 9&12 and we are flying in two days early hope two stay at wdw until the cruise anybody have suggestions on where to stay at wdw?

Disney has cheap hotels all the way up to high end hotels. It depends on what you want to spend. :)

Bill

bellelinus
04-30-2006, 07:28 AM
The dates right before our cruise are included in the new deal where you can get free dining if you stay a minimum number of days at Disney and buy the passes . . . I'm not sure how many days you have to stay, though. If you are not already familiar with the resorts, you might want to try one of the Disney specialists in the travel agency industry and see what they can offer you.

MrsScooby
04-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi Victoryblu !
My DS is 12 and my DD will be 9 in a few weeks so they will probably see your two in the kids clubs (unless your 12 yr old is 13 by then). We've stayed at the All Star resorts when we did the parks (Sport and Movie). The rooms aren't fancy, but since we were only in them to sleep that was fine with us. They fill up fast though, so you want to decide where you'll stay soon.
Of course I'm still procrastinating and haven't booked my hotel room yet before the cruise. I'm leaning toward the Residence Inn (Port Canaveral).

Laurie

MrsScooby
05-29-2006, 04:32 AM
Hi All !!
Made my on-line reservations :thumbsup2 It went pretty smoothly except for one thing. I was trying to book the Eco Tour for my family of four and it kept giving me an error message. It took me a few minutes to realize what I had done which was to book a double tour for each member instead of each driver. Once I fixed it, everything was fine.
I have Palo dinner for the second night (Nassau) at 6:30 and brunch at 11:00 on the day at sea. If anyone else is planning on those times maybe I'll see you then :goodvibes (Wound up being seated next to a fellow DISer on my first cruise and didn't realize until her trip report.)

Laurie

bellelinus
05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi Laurie;

Lucky you, being a Castaway Cay member and booking at 90 days! I can't wait to go online at 75 days and book. Just a question for you -- what browser do you use? I generally use Firefox but heard that some people have problems booking online using Firefox. I might want to install Internet Explorer before my date to be sure I can book online.

MrsScooby
05-30-2006, 10:24 PM
I used Internet Explorer. I actually got up at 3 AM to do this, which probably wasn't necessary, but since it fell on a holiday not too painful. I had trouble going back to sleep, hence my posting here to let off some of the excitement :teeth:
Was a bit nervous about the online reservations because I had heard of some problems others have had, but aside from my temporary problem with the Eco Tour everything went fine. If you get a red message that says something about unable to make your reservation and to call Disney during business hours, try again and make sure you didn't make a mistake with your choices- it took me a few trys before I realized the problem was ME :blush:

Laurie

bellelinus
05-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks, Laurie! I'll let you know my luck once the 75 day mark rolls around (very soon, now . . .).

MrsScooby
06-03-2006, 10:06 PM
I picked up some of those Mickey Mouse paint chips at Home Depot today. The plan is to decorate the door with a magnetic sign :banana:
Anyone else doing the same ? I've heard that the signs disappear if they aren't personalized, but I'm not sure if it is safer to stick to just last name or just first names. Any ideas ?
(I'm sure my kids would want their first names on the door, but I'm not sure how safe that is :confused3 )

Laurie

bellelinus
06-04-2006, 01:08 PM
I picked up some of those Mickey Mouse paint chips at Home Depot today. The plan is to decorate the door with a magnetic sign :banana:
Anyone else doing the same ? I've heard that the signs disappear if they aren't personalized, but I'm not sure if it is safer to stick to just last name or just first names. Any ideas ?
(I'm sure my kids would want their first names on the door, but I'm not sure how safe that is :confused3 )

Laurie

Honestly, maybe I'm paranoid (I do live in Manhattan!) but I feel nervous about putting either first or last names on a magnetic door sign . . . I did want to do something like that, though. It's tough -- don't personalize and your sign gets stolen -- personalize and you have your names associated with that stateroom for anyone to see. Let me know what you decide.

MrsScooby
06-05-2006, 10:14 AM
I've been warned for years not to put my kids first names on their clothing (outside) where others could see. I'm originally from New York (Huntington LI) so maybe we're both paranoid :thumbsup2
I'm definitely putting my DIS name on and maybe I'll get the kids to pick nicknames instead. I'm hoping putting the cabin number/date on will keep the sign from walking away as well :confused3 .
Either way I'll make a couple of copies and try to treat it as a compliment if someone decides to steal it. Refuse to let it ruin my cruise :cool1:

Laurie

MrsScooby
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
I generally use Firefox but heard that some people have problems booking online using Firefox. I might want to install Internet Explorer before my date to be sure I can book online.

FYI
I just read on the cruise boards that you probably want to install Internet Explorer before you try to book online. Several others with Firefox had problems. :confused3
Are you going to try for 3 am or wait for normal hours ? I'm curious how necessary (or not) it is to get up at 3 am. If you do decide to do it at 3 am make sure you have all the info you need written down prior (confirmation number, password etc.) Brain doesn't work well at 3 am :crazy:

Laurie

bellelinus
06-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I will definitely install Internet Explorer before June 13th to be sure I can get online . . I like Firefox a lot better because I don't get popups or viruses like I did when I used Internet Explorer, but for that one day, I'll risk it!

I am thinking of just going online when I get up normally that day (around 6 AM), since I don't plan to try for Palo reservations. I want to book an excursion for my oldest daughter, register the kids in the clubs, and look for available appointment times in the spa -- but since I'm flexible, I don't think there will be a problem waiting until 6. If I'm wrong, you'll hear about it! However, I could get no reservations and still have a great cruise, so I'm not going to worry about it.

I'll have to think about what to do for the magnetic door sign . . .

MrsScooby
06-06-2006, 09:27 PM
If you have problems, Bellelinus, just remember you will be able to try again when you board the ship.
I'm planning on changing our Palo reservation if Pirate Night happens to fall on the second night. (They didn't have Pirate Night when we first cruised and I don't want to miss it pirate: )
DD was a pirate for Halloween so she has a cute costume to wear. DH and DS are too cool to dress up :rolleyes: .
I'm just going in a white blouse and skirt (kinda pirate like) :)
Anyone else planning on looking like a pirate on Pirate Night ?

Laurie

bellelinus
06-07-2006, 12:28 PM
All three girls and I have pirate costumes to wear on pirate night! We will be totally over the top, but how many opportunities do you get to play dress up in public when you are an adult? pirate:

MrsScooby
06-08-2006, 08:59 PM
We just watched the DCL dvd and everyone in my family was picking their dinner from the menus :woohoo:

I don't remember what I had last time :confused3 .
I'm thinking I have to take pictures this time :thumbsup2 .
My DH is already rolling his eyes :rolleyes: , but even he had fun looking at the food pictures on the thread they had on the cruise board popcorn:: .

bellelinus
06-13-2006, 05:55 AM
Update -- hit my 75 day mark this morning and did not get up at 3 AM! Instead, I got up at 5:30 and was able to reserve everything I wanted (excursion for my 14 year old, cabana massage on CC for me, hot stone massage during the day at sea for me, reserved the kids club for my other two). There were quite a few choices of times for the massages, which pleasantly surprised me.

Because you were wondering, Laurie, I checked availability for Palo (even though I'm not going this time) and a couple could have made reservations for any of our nights on the cruise. I know that we are cruising at a less busy time, but at least for our cruise it didn't seem necessary to get up so early to book. I browsed the excursions and spa treatments, and there seemed to be lots available.

MrsScooby
06-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey good to know you got everything you wanted :thumbsup2
Takes alot of stress out of the planning. I guess since we are going during hurricane season and there don't seem to be alot of DIS people on our cruise that it wasn't necessary to get up at 3:00 am :confused3
Now I'm worried that our reservation for Palo is too early. We have the Dolphin swim booked the morning we are in Nassau (10 am) and a 6:30 Palo. I hate eating dinner late, so I'm not sure what to do. I may try to push it back a half hour when I get on the ship, maybe.

Hot stone massage :woohoo: Those are nice !!

S.S.Oceanlover
06-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey good to know you got everything you wanted :thumbsup2
Takes alot of stress out of the planning. I guess since we are going during hurricane season and there don't seem to be alot of DIS people on our cruise that it wasn't necessary to get up at 3:00 am :confused3
Now I'm worried that our reservation for Palo is too early. We have the Dolphin swim booked the morning we are in Nassau (10 am) and a 6:30 Palo. I hate eating dinner late, so I'm not sure what to do. I may try to push it back a half hour when I get on the ship, maybe.

Hot stone massage :woohoo: Those are nice !!

we only wanted the dolphin encounter and got shut out! Now we don't know what to do. Oh well leaving for a cruise in a couple hours with a visit in nassau. Maybe we can find something interesting when we visit this time.

Bill

MrsScooby
06-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Sorry you didn't get that Dolphin Encounter Bill . I heard that was a real hard one to get. Maybe if you check back (on the DCL website) there might be some cancelations. If not, try getting on a waitlist soon after boarding.
We did the Atlantis tour when we went last time. We had fun :)

Let us know how your "first" cruise goes when you come back !

Laurie

MrsScooby
06-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey Bill,
Are you back from your cruise yet ??
Let us know how it went !!!

Laurie

S.S.Oceanlover
06-25-2006, 02:05 AM
Laurie,
Just back tonight. Cruise was good. The Wonder was docked next to us while we were in Nassau. We had a long day getting home. Couldn't get off the ship until almost noon due to bomb scare and when we finally got to airport flight was delayed about 2 hours due to lightning storms.

We can probably get the Dolphin Encounter booked if we book on our own but my wife is afraid of doing it without the guys going with the girls. The guys were headed to Breezes for the day.

Bill

MrsScooby
07-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Bill,
We have check in time for the dolphin swim at 10 am. Your wife and company are welcome to come with us (not that we really know where we're going either :blush: )
When your family did the encounter, how long did it take ? Trying to figure out what time we'll make it back to the ship :confused3

Laurie

MrsScooby
07-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Bomb scare and lightning storms ! What a way to end a trip, Bill.

Let's hope the next one is smooth sailing :goodvibes

S.S.Oceanlover
07-02-2006, 10:07 PM
This upcoming trip has me more concerned since it's in the prime time of the hurricanes. I have cruise about 3 times before in this time period and have gotten lucky. Let's hope that my luck holds out.

Last time we did the Dolphin Encounter it took about 4 hours total with the travel time included.

Are you doing the Dolphin Encounter with Disney? If not just go off the ship and head for the taxi stand. Let them know that you need to go to the ferry terminal. Was $4pp last year. At the ferry terminal which is in between the bridges about a mile or so up the street.
You check in at the Dolphin Encounter window with your confirmation.
Then you wait until the ferry starts boarding.

Hopefully it'll be the same this year as last and the ferry will drop you off right at the ships pier.

Thanks for the offer to travel with you guys but my wife doesn't have to check in until 1pm. They plan on going to the straw market first then the terminal.

We'll be hopping on the jitney heading to Cable beach and breezes. :Pinkbounc

Bill

MrsScooby
07-03-2006, 08:03 PM
We booked the Dolphin Swim directly with the company. If we need to cancel we have to give 48 hours notice (I'm assuming we'll know if hurricanes are threatening by then)
Otherwise, I'm not too worried about hurricanes. I figure DCL is an old hand at dealing with them by now and if it gets bad ... we have trip insurance!
Also, DCL has been really good in the past about compensating for lost time due to hurricane weather. Still, hoping our luck holds out :thumbsup2
(We were at WDW between the first and second hurricane in August 2004.)

Laurie

Hobbitmomma
07-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Hubby and I are cruising with our son (7) and daughter (5). We'll be in WDW for three days prior so we will be shuttling directly to the port from there. Our kids have never been to Disney and we are surprising them. In fact, we once we are in WDW, we aren't going to tell them about the cruise either! We have early dinner seating and Palo reservations on night 3. We can hardly wait! :banana:

bellelinus
07-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Welcome! I surprised my girls with a trip to WDW two summers ago and they have never forgotten it. I can't imagine what they would say if surprised by a cruise (but they've known about this one for a year now). Our cruise will be here before we know it . . .

S.S.Oceanlover
07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm clueless about this dinner stuff. You already have dinner reservations at Palo? Do you also know your dinner rotation? If so how do you find out.

Still (impatiently) waiting for cabin assignment!!

Bill

bellelinus
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Hi Bill -- I don't think you know your dining rotation until you get your cards at the terminal. However, you should already know if you have the early or late seating. If you want to eat at Palo, you have to make special reservations and pay a small surcharge. Otherwise, just show up at your assigned restaurant at your assigned time and enjoy! I'm glad your previous cruise was good, despite a few problems. How was the Hyatt?

MrsScooby
07-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Welcome Hobbitmomma !!
What a cool surprise for your kids :cool1:
Do you have any excursions planned too ?
I think we all have early seating. I think they stagger the early times (5:45, 6:00, 6:15- something like that) Bellelinus is right, we won't find out the exact time until we check in.

I've heard it is possible to get additional dinners in Palo by being put on a wait list at guest services :confused3
(So Bill if you don't get that reservation now online, you can try again when you board)

I'm already starting my box of cruise stuff to bring (sun screen, waterproof camera, over the door shoe holder, etc.) We're under two months now :blush:

Looking forward to the POC movie this weekend :banana:
Walmart has some POC movie t-shirts in the boys department too.

Laurie

bellelinus
07-05-2006, 04:56 PM
We already have tickets for the first POC - Dead Man's Chest show at the theatre near us this Friday (9 AM -- luckily I'm off work) -- we can't wait either. Seeing the movie will get us into the mood for our evening as pirates on the cruise . . .

S.S.Oceanlover
07-05-2006, 10:16 PM
We already have tickets for the first POC - Dead Man's Chest show at the theatre near us this Friday (9 AM -- luckily I'm off work) -- we can't wait either. Seeing the movie will get us into the mood for our evening as pirates on the cruise . . .

I'm just an average Joe and don't like a lot of fuss so the Hyatt was more than I am used to. Way too fancy for me. The place was spectacular. What a pool, had a lake , golf course, horse stables and horses. Champagne at check in.

I'm used to Residence INN, Amerisuites, etc. I know it must sound funny.

It's ashame I can't put the Disney page on speed dial since I check it every day to see if we were assigned yet!

Got our confimation back from the Dolphin Encounter today.

We still have a lot of stuff still in suitcases from the last trip. :rotfl:

Bill

Hobbitmomma
07-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey, thanks for the "welcome!" We have booked some excursions. We are doing the dolphin encounter in Nassau and snorkling in CC. My husband booked parasailing for himself and wants me to do it too. I haven't decided yet. I don't think we can do it together because we can't leave the kids obviously. We also already made reservations for the restaurants that we want to try in WDW. Yes, I'm also starting to gather stuff for the cruise. The "what to pack" info on this site has been really helpful. My husband and I are fairly busting with excitement to see how the kids react when they figure out where they are going! :Pinkbounc

newbiecruisers
07-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi Everyone! We will be joining you on this, our first family cruise, in August. So excited!! There will be 7 of us. Me, my husband, my mother and father, and the kids- son 14, daughter almost 8, and son 5. They simply cannot grasp how big this boat must be!! We have the early seating and have booked the Blackbeards stingray excursion in Nassau. Any advice for us first timers would be greatly appreciated. So glad I found this thread. I tried posting my own but no responses....

;)

S.S.Oceanlover
07-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Welcome HobbitMomma and newbiecruisers.

After you come back Newbie you'll be itching to book another cruise. If you really want to impress your kids with the size of a ship, take them on a Royal Caribbean Voyager class ship with ice skating, rock climbing, mini golf etc.

Hobbit did you book the Encounter with Disney and what time do you go?

Bill

bellelinus
07-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Hey, thanks for the "welcome!" We have booked some excursions. We are doing the dolphin encounter in Nassau and snorkling in CC. My husband booked parasailing for himself and wants me to do it too. I haven't decided yet. I don't think we can do it together because we can't leave the kids obviously. We also already made reservations for the restaurants that we want to try in WDW. Yes, I'm also starting to gather stuff for the cruise. The "what to pack" info on this site has been really helpful. My husband and I are fairly busting with excitement to see how the kids react when they figure out where they are going! :Pinkbounc

You could leave the kids in the kids' club on CC while you and your husband go parasailing . . . I plan to leave my two younger kids there when I go off for my cabana massage.

By the way, I parasailed for the first time last year, and it was an amazing experience.

bellelinus
07-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm just an average Joe and don't like a lot of fuss so the Hyatt was more than I am used to. Way too fancy for me. The place was spectacular. What a pool, had a lake , golf course, horse stables and horses. Champagne at check in.

I'm used to Residence INN, Amerisuites, etc. I know it must sound funny.

It's ashame I can't put the Disney page on speed dial since I check it every day to see if we were assigned yet!

Got our confimation back from the Dolphin Encounter today.

We still have a lot of stuff still in suitcases from the last trip. :rotfl:

Bill

It does sound a little funny to "complain" about how nice a place was! I would like to try that Hyatt one day.

Did you get a GTY room? What category? The disney web site still seems to show plenty of availability in several categories for our cruise -- I don't know if that makes you more likely to get a good room, but I hope so.

Hobbitmomma
07-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Hobbit did you book the Encounter with Disney and what time do you go?

Bill[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I don't know what that is. So I guess the answer is "no" we didn't book it. What is it?

S.S.Oceanlover
07-06-2006, 03:59 PM
It does sound a little funny to "complain" about how nice a place was! I would like to try that Hyatt one day.

Did you get a GTY room? What category? The disney web site still seems to show plenty of availability in several categories for our cruise -- I don't know if that makes you more likely to get a good room, but I hope so.

We booked a gty cat 12.

My wife loved the hotel. Me I felt out of place. The rooms at the Hyatt were nothing special but the grounds were.

I hope we get upgraded too but if I don't I'll still be happy as long as I'm on the ship.

Hobbit,
Oh I thought you said you booked the Dolphin Encounter. My mistake. Sorry!

Bill

MrsScooby
07-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Welcome Newbiecruisers!!
The more the merrier :cool1: (We're DH, DS 12, DD 9 and me :goodvibes )
I think it was about the last day on our Wonder cruise in 2002 before I felt like I knew where everything was without checking a map (and DCL is considered one of the smaller cruise ships out there today!)
I went parasailing years ago on our honeymoon and found the first 5 minutes scary, the next 5 minutes exhilarating, and the last 5 minutes somewhat boring. I would definitely recommend doing it at least once, it is a great experience.
My DS loved the Scuttle's Cove on Castaway Cay when we went last time, but my DD preferred to play in the water on the beach (They were 8 and 5 at the time)
I'm hoping to get the map for the scavenger hunt on Castaway Cay the day before (Nassau day), but I'm afraid I'll miss when they hand them out since we'll be leaving the ship early that day. Anyone else thinking of trying the CC scavenger hunt ? Of course, if it is extremely hot I may not feel like moving too much :sunny:

Laurie

Hobbitmomma
07-06-2006, 10:59 PM
[
Hobbit,
Oh I thought you said you booked the Dolphin Encounter. My mistake. Sorry!

Bill

We did book the Dolphin Encounter, my mistake. :blush: I thought you said, "Disney Encounter" and I didn't know what you were talking about. Yes, we can't wait to swim with the dolphins. The kids are absolutely going to be beside themselves!

S.S.Oceanlover
07-07-2006, 10:55 AM
We did book the Dolphin Encounter, my mistake. :blush: I thought you said, "Disney Encounter" and I didn't know what you were talking about. Yes, we can't wait to swim with the dolphins. The kids are absolutely going to be beside themselves!

OK now that we have that straightened out, did you book the Dolphin Encounter through Disney and what time are you scheduled for?

Bill

newbiecruisers
07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
That sounds like fun! My kids love that sort of thing! How did you even know it is happening? I feel like I know nothing... Is there some sort of agenda we can look at?
I am a little unsure about the Stingray excursion. Everyone keeps saying the Dolphin Encounter is the way to go. I don't want to do an all day thing because my parents want to have time in the Straw Market. Any suggestions?
Also, my hubby and I booked Palo the last night. If we do this will we miss one of the other restuarants? Can I give my reservation to my parents if we want to?
;)

Hobbitmomma
07-07-2006, 04:52 PM
OK now that we have that straightened out, did you book the Dolphin Encounter through Disney and what time are you scheduled for?

Bill

Yes we did book through Disney. I think we are at 10am. My husband did all of that so I'm not sure about the times. Are you going?
Sorry about my stupidity. I have tons on my plate right now and I'm lucky I can walk and talk at the same time! I need a vacation!

MrsScooby
07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Newbiecruisers,

Actually, it is a treasure hunt (I was close :blush: ) and I found out about it on the regular DCL forum. (Also, I think it is listed on the recent navigators posted)
Someone recently posted that the maps/clues are given out at guest services and it sounds like I won't have a problem getting one. I kinda like puzzles and I'm not a sunbathing kind of person so I'm thinking it would be fun to try.
I had fun shopping in Nassau last time, but the kids were on the ship with DH (pool :thumbsup2 ). We did the Discover Atlantis in the morning and we had fun. (Not something I'd do again though-not sure if it's worth the money)
I've only heard good things about the Dolphin Encounter so if you can get it and can afford it, best to pick that (If you got a morning time you would have time to visit the Straw Market before dinner).

From what I've heard about the current rotation of the restaurants it goes 1223. I think Pirate night is the third night in whatever restaurant you happen to be in. Anyway, you do miss one menu regardless, unless you decide to double dip (eat lightly at both). You can make changes once you get on board or keep checking online for cancelations.
The advantage of being in Palo on the last night, is that you are saving the best food for last. Main dining rooms are good, but the Palo food is better (IMHO).

The link at the top of this page will take you to the Disney Cruise Line Forum and they have tons of info, updates, navigators from recent cruises.
My first attempt at posting a link (hope it works-can you tell I'm over 40 :blush: )

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 (http://)

S.S.Oceanlover
07-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Yes we did book through Disney. I think we are at 10am. My husband did all of that so I'm not sure about the times. Are you going?
Sorry about my stupidity. I have tons on my plate right now and I'm lucky I can walk and talk at the same time! I need a vacation!

No need to apologize for anything. Just a little misunderstanding.
My wife, her friend and her friends daughter are going. The guys are going to Breezes for the day.
We did the Dolphin Encounter last summer. My wife and son loved it. I was just an observer.

Bill

BD Moose
07-08-2006, 07:42 PM
First time going on cruise . With wife, d10 s16 .Little one birthday
on ship.Do they sell anything to surprise her for her birthday on the ship?

S.S.Oceanlover
07-08-2006, 10:06 PM
First time going on cruise . With wife, d10 s16 .Little one birthday
on ship.Do they sell anything to surprise her for her birthday on the ship?

You can get your cabin decorated for her birthday for $35.00 by calling 1-800-601-8455 or downloading an order form and faxing it.
Here's the order form link.
Disney order form (http://adisneycruise.disney.go.com/media/dcl_v0202/en_US/media/myCruise/GiftOrderForm.pdf)

Bill

MrsScooby
07-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Welcome BD Moose!!

If you give your servers some advance notice they can serve a birthday cake in the dining rooms. (We were celebrating our anniversary last time we went- the cake wasn't as good as the other desserts on the menu though.)

Laurie

BD Moose
07-09-2006, 04:00 PM
:cool1: :cool1: thanks for the info :banana: :banana:have a 16 b anything for him? For the dinner do you have to get dress up or is it causal ? :banana: :banana:

MrsScooby
07-09-2006, 05:40 PM
For the dinner do you have to get dress up or is it causal ?
I think the only requirement for dinner is no shorts or bathing suits. Dockers and polo shirts for guys and slacks/skirt and top for gals is what most wear. Some people dress up, but most don't. I don't think the Wonder has a formal night, although people might dress up more on Nassau night (2nd night).
Will definitely see some pirate costumes on pirate night (3rd night). Bellelinus and her crew are dressing up and my DD9 and I are also. :thumbsup2

Laurie

S.S.Oceanlover
07-09-2006, 07:30 PM
:cool1: :cool1: thanks for the info :banana: :banana:have a 16 b anything for him? For the dinner do you have to get dress up or is it causal ? :banana: :banana:

I think for the 16b just lock him in the cabin. Is 16b getting dressed up like a pirate? get him to do it, he'll have a ball.

Bill

newbiecruisers
07-12-2006, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=MrsScooby]Newbiecruisers,

Actually, it is a treasure hunt (I was close :blush: ) and I found out about it on the regular DCL forum. (Also, I think it is listed on the recent navigators posted)
Someone recently posted that the maps/clues are given out at guest services and it sounds like I won't have a problem getting one. I kinda like puzzles and I'm not a sunbathing kind of person so I'm thinking it would be fun to try.
I had fun shopping in Nassau last time, but the kids were on the ship with DH (pool :thumbsup2 ). We did the Discover Atlantis in the morning and we had fun. (Not something I'd do again though-not sure if it's worth the money)
I've only heard good things about the Dolphin Encounter so if you can get it and can afford it, best to pick that (If you got a morning time you would have time to visit the Straw Market before dinner).

From what I've heard about the current rotation of the restaurants it goes 1223. I think Pirate night is the third night in whatever restaurant you happen to be in. Anyway, you do miss one menu regardless, unless you decide to double dip (eat lightly at both). You can make changes once you get on board or keep checking online for cancelations.
The advantage of being in Palo on the last night, is that you are saving the best food for last. Main dining rooms are good, but the Palo food is better (IMHO).

The link at the top of this page will take you to the Disney Cruise Line Forum and they have tons of info, updates, navigators from recent cruises.
My first attempt at posting a link (hope it works-can you tell I'm over 40 :blush: )

Mrs.Scooby, THnks so much for all the info. We have been camping in Quebec for a few days. I'm thinking of cancelling Palo all together because I don't want to miss any of the restaurants. Also, my daughter is turning 8 and I was hoping to celebrate it in one of the restaurants on the last night.
I tried the link but it didn't work for me. (even though I'm under 40, I'm not good at those things either.) But I'm sure I can find it. I guess the Dolphin Encounter is worth looking at again. Is the Encounter different from the Swim? I haven't been able to figure this out. ;)

newbiecruisers
07-12-2006, 08:24 PM
guess I screwed up the whole quote thing.. ;)

gichicdoc
07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
party: Emmabelle, SS Oceanlover and other august 27 Wonder Cruisers:
We (DH, DS 13 and DD 13) will be joining you for the August 27-31 cruise.
Kids are excited about the teen program and I am wondering if there are any parents with teens who can give some advice/tips about this program? It doesn't seem as though there are too many posters with Teens on this board.
Finally, is there any plan to get together during the the departure party or later? I would love to meet up with other folks who are dedicated to trip
planning as I am. :banana:
I have been reading Emmabelle's MrsScooby's and SS Oceanlovers posts for months now.
Best,
m.
:tigger:

S.S.Oceanlover
07-13-2006, 12:02 AM
party: Emmabelle, SS Oceanlover and other august 27 Wonder Cruisers:
We (DH, DS 13 and DD 13) will be joining you for the August 27-31 cruise.
Kids are excited about the teen program and I am wondering if there are any parents with teens who can give some advice/tips about this program? It doesn't seem as though there are too many posters with Teens on this board.
Finally, is there any plan to get together during the the departure party or later? I would love to meet up with other folks who are dedicated to trip
planning as I am. :banana:
I have been reading Emmabelle's MrsScooby's and SS Oceanlovers posts for months now.
Best,
m.
:tigger:

Welcome Gichicdoc. Unfortunately I have never sailed DCL before so I can't be much help with that.

Newbiecruisers,
The dolphin encounter is where you are in the water on the platform. You pet the dolphins, kiss them and dance with them. It is $85 pp if you book independently.

The swim you are actually in the water with them and they push you through the water by your feet. That price is $160pp booking independently.

Bill

newbiecruisers
07-13-2006, 09:57 AM
SS. Oceanlover,

Thanks! I think thats a little pricey for my family of 5. We'll stick with the Stingray Excursion. I just read BarbMouse's trip report and she raved about it. She also said they had plenty of time for the Straw Market which we were worried about. I've been there before as a child, but everyone should experience it once I think. "braid your hair lady?"

Gichicdoc,
Welcome! I think a little get together would be fun near boarding time! My son 14 is worried about making friends quickly. Maybe ours teens would hit it off. His hair is too long so he could pass for a boy or a girl :rotfl:

gichicdoc
07-13-2006, 09:03 PM
party: I think a DISboard party at sail away would be GREAT!!
I know my DD(13) would be very excited about meeting any teens at the start of the cruise :cheer2: ; DS (13 too) is a little less outgoing but friendly. :cool1:
So what do you August 27 Wonder cruisers say????
Particularly interested in cruisers with Teens and Tweens....Emmabelle, SSOCeanlover, Bellelinus, MrsScooby, Newbiecruisers, BDMoose..You in?
:tinker:

MrsScooby
07-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Welcome Gichicdoc,
Glad to see this party is picking up :thumbsup2
We missed the sail away party last time due to rain, so are looking forward to it this time. Deck nine or ten is the question :confused3 .

The DIS color is "lime" or "alien" green. Last time we wore green leis so that we would recognize each other.(easy to get at any party store) We only got together for about 20 minutes at three o'clock in one of the lounges, but it was nice to bump into each other during the cruise and say hi to a friend. (I'm open to meeting where ever others want though :goodvibes )

We have Palo brunch at 11:00 am and anyone is welcome to join us!! You won't miss the dining room and I hear Palo brunch is better than the dinner. (reservations can be made on the ship if you get there early and I hear that the wait list usually produces something most of the time)

Hey Hobbitmomma,
I can totally relate to the needing a vacation. I did a major career change last summer and it has been one very tough adjustment. Very humbling to go from the trainer in one job to the trainee in another. I'm looking forward to very difficult task of picking out my food on this cruise:thumbsup2

If anyone is interested, there is a wine tasting class/seminar that needs to be signed up for at quest services as well as a bridge tour. I'm not sure when they are exactly, either on Nassau day or the at sea day. The bridge tours will be gone once the Wonder goes into dry dock in October.

Laurie

Still working on figuring out those darn links !!

newbiecruisers
07-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Mrs. Scooby,
You seem to be the vet here so just tell us newbies where to go and when. I like the idea of wearing something that makes it easy to find each other. I think the mandatory safety meeting for everyone is around 4pm. ;)

:crazy: I CANT WAIT ANY MORE!!!!!! HAVING TROUBLE SLEEPING!!!!!!

gichicdoc
07-14-2006, 03:42 PM
I am thinking maybe a get-together around 4:00 on the pool deck (?9) or the one above that (?10). That way folks can enjoy the party, music etc. and we can get some introductions in before it gets too loud. :cool1:
I had read in other threads about bubbles, goody bags, etc for the kids with each famiy contributing something but our kids are too old for that. Instead, I was thinking a silly string fight (is that allowed???) :confused3 and maybe hacky sack or something. I'm open to ideas. I have heard that it is really helpful for the teens to make connections early in the cruise for the best experiences.
My DD (13) does pin trading. Anyone else on our cruise doing that??
Anyway, I am getting sooo excited. I think this planning and research thing is an addiction though :yay:

MrsScooby
07-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi all,
I've only done this once before, 4 years ago. Please forgive me if I give wrong info :)
The problem with 4:00 is that is when the mandatory lifeboat drill is. They take it very seriously, no problems like the Titanic here, they are prepared :thumbsup2
I know bubbles are ok, because I've read others doing that. Bubble guns came up on one thread for those of you who don't like the arm waving :wave:
(I think silly string may be a problem though in terms of clean up though :crazy: )
My kids (DS12 and DD9) are into pin trading...ok and me too :blush: And I have heard that the first night is when most teens meet their buddies, so not a bad idea to bite the bullet and make them go. Of course my DS is hyper focused on computer games so unless he finds someone that speaks Runescape he will be on his own most of the time.
I have to check some of those DISmeet threads for some ideas !!

Laurie :dance3:

gichicdoc
07-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Sail Away Party

MrsScooby (Laurie):

We definitely have to meet up. Our DS lives and breathes Runescape while DD lives and breathes pins :love: .

She's dragged :rotfl2: me into the pin trading thing as well- -I have about 50 myself but her collection is far more extensive.

I forgot about the drill at 4pm. How about right after? That would probably give us about a half hour before the actual party starts at 4:45 to chat and select a spot.

We did the cruise (actually the 3 night) last spring ('05) but hadn't found this board beforehand.

I think the lime green lei thing is a good idea as are bubble guns :thumbsup2

Let us know if you come up with any other ideas from other threads and I'll keep my eyes open too. :surfweb:

I can almost hear that "When you wish upon a star" jingle now!

michelle

newbiecruisers
07-15-2006, 10:18 AM
I know how you feel. My wedding song was "A Dream Is A Wish..." (10 year anniversary this month! :goodvibes )

My son plays Tibia. Yours ever hear of that one?

Hobbitmomma
07-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Welcome Gichicdoc,

Hey Hobbitmomma,
I can totally relate to the needing a vacation. I did a major career change last summer and it has been one very tough adjustment. Very humbling to go from the trainer in one job to the trainee in another. I'm looking forward to very difficult task of picking out my food on this cruise:thumbsup2

!

Yeah it's been crazy for me, but mostly because both parents are aging and in failing health. In fact, my sister is flying out from Arizona to stay with my dad while we are on vacation so that I don't have to worry about him. (Mom is in a nursing home.) So, anyone who is in a "sandwich" situation like me (my kids are 5 and 7) understands how stressful and time consuming this is.

I would love to meet up with some folks who have kids around the same ages. (daughter 5, son 7) They don't even know they are going. We are going to tell them on the plane with little hints that I am making to put in their books and backpacks. We're doing 3 days in the parks and then on to the cruise. My daughter is all about the princesses! My son is nuts about Jack Sparrow, Star Wars and Harry Potter.
40 days and counting!!!

MrsScooby
07-15-2006, 09:15 PM
I want to try posting a link again. This thread has some pretty recent 4 day navigators.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1103424

Let's see if this works now.

MrsScooby
07-15-2006, 09:16 PM
:cool1: :woohoo: :banana: :cheer2:

MrsScooby
07-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Hobbitmomma, It sounds like you definitely need some spa time !!
My DH is a big Star Wars fan. He posts on a Star Wars forum as Darth Scooby which is what prompted me to pick my DIS name. My kids were close to the same age as yours were when we first went and they loved it more than the parks!

My DH and DS are in Virginia Beach for a baseball tournament (DH umpires), but when my DS returns I'll ask him about the Tibia and he'll be happy to know there are other Runescape fanatics onboard :)

Gathering ideas for the DIS Meet and will post some tomorrow. There are no rules for this though, so everyone feel free to add their 2 cents :thumbsup2

S.S.Oceanlover
07-15-2006, 10:15 PM
I want to try posting a link again. This thread has some pretty recent 4 day navigators.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1103424

Let's see if this works now.

Thanks for posting the link. Food looks pretty interesting.

Bill

MrsScooby
07-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Those navigators may change of course, but it will give us an idea of what is likely to be going on.
I've been checking some of the other DIS meet threads to see what others are doing.
Here's the deal, most of us have early seating for dinner which means we can be eating anywhere from 5:30 to 6:00 pm. The Sail Away Party starts officially at 4:15, right after the life boat drill. I'm thinking the best time for us to meet would be on deck 10, overlooking the Goofey Pool, to chat and introduce ourselves. Then go down to deck 9 or stay on deck 10 depending on whether we're the party animal type or the people watcher type. Will be pressed for time due to need to get ready for dinner.
The alternative is to meet in one of the lounges at about 3:00, chat for a while before the boat drill. Not as much fun as the Sail Away Party, but maybe less stressful :confused3
I need a show of hands here to see what people prefer :wave:

For the record, I don't remember what anyone wore to dinner the last time we cruised. I was just thrilled to be on the boat! I'll abide by the dress code, but I'm not going to be evaluating what others are wearing.

gichicdoc
07-16-2006, 09:44 PM
I vote for the post-drill gathering on deck 10.
Those that have earlier dinner seating (as we do) could come already dressed or leave a few minutes earlier to change.
I think our kids are going to want to get right into the pool the moment we arrive so we could do a "mini" (or Minnie, hee hee) meet at the Goofy Pool too for those that are interested. ::MinnieMo

After a little swimming, maybe we could grab a bite to eat at the pinnochio pizzeria on Deck 9 (the deck with the pools). :mickeybar

The lounge seems away from the fun.
That said, we are flexible and I will follow majority decision. The bigger the group, the better the time party:

Newbiecruisers:
DS says that "Tibia" must be his Runescape player name. He said that he probably has a number with the Tibia as well. Do you know what it is? DS's is "Blazer 3,000". He was so thrilled to hear that there are other Runescape fans on board our ship as well as him.

:tink:= my DD's symbol (so if you see this symbol as well my DD and I are posting together)

S.S.Oceanlover
07-17-2006, 01:12 AM
I looked at the menus and saw 1 night when I didn't like anything. If I get upgraded to a balcony cabin (longshot) could I cook on one of those little hibachi grills on my balcony?
Does the ship have like a little convenience store where I could get stuff to cook or would I need to buy it right before getting onboard and getting it in my refridgerator ASAP? How about ordering a couple steaks uncooked from room service? First time on Disney so I don't know anything about how they run their ships.

TIA

Bill

newbiecruisers
07-17-2006, 08:10 AM
I like the idea of hanging out at the sail away party. Seems like a logical time to get to know one another. My kids will definately want to hang by the pool asap before things get started. So I will probably need to get everyone decent for dinner. I'm not too worried about time constraints. I do think we should wear something that ties us together so we will know each other if we come across one another before the party.

Gichicdoc,
I guess Tibia is a game similar to Runescape. My son says he has played Runescape in the past. At least they'll be able to communicate. I don't get these online games. He could play for 24 hours if you let him!

Been looking at pin trading. Are there any rules I should know about? ;)

Anyone dressing up for pirate night? Do they give you any help? pirate:

gichicdoc
07-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Bill,
There are no stores on board which sell perishable foods that I recall.
I am fairly certain that DCL has some rules about no grills on the verandas (fire hazards at sea are taken very seriously :stir: ). Have you thought about the room service menu? there may be something there you can eat if there is nothing on the regular menus that suit you. ALternatively, you could try for a Palo reservation on that night.

Newbiecruisers,
I'll ask him about Tibia (the game). He has kinda a one track mind and so probably didn't even occur to him that it was a game other than Runescape.
ANd talk about obscessed!! When he's not playing Runescape, he's playing Nintendo DS (or whatever is the newest one now) or watching some Anime' thing on TV. It's kinda embarassing :blush:
on the issue of pins: My number 1 personal rule is "be polite" always say hi first and then ask to see someone's pins. Disney has a rule of a pin for a pin; meaning you can't offer two for one or be asked two for etc. (which some people try to do when they see something they really want) but CMs never do this (i.e. they always offer a pin-for-a-pin). Other rules: can't trade a name pin (e.g. one that says Laura on it) and the CMs don't have to trade for a pin that they already have on their lanyards.
If you or anyone else on our cruise wants to trade at the Sailaway party or by the pool, let me know; my DD is eager to do so :Pinkbounc

S.S.Oceanlover
07-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Bill,
There are no stores on board which sell perishable foods that I recall.
I am fairly certain that DCL has some rules about no grills on the verandas (fire hazards at sea are taken very seriously :stir: ). Have you thought about the room service menu? there may be something there you can eat if there is nothing on the regular menus that suit you. ALternatively, you could try for a Palo reservation on that night.

Sorry boredom overtook me. Sounds like your get together is going to be a lot of fun. :)

Bill

MrsScooby
07-17-2006, 10:13 PM
I looked at the menus and saw 1 night when I didn't like anything. If I get upgraded to a balcony cabin (longshot) could I cook on one of those little hibachi grills on my balcony?
Does the ship have like a little convenience store where I could get stuff to cook or would I need to buy it right before getting onboard and getting it in my refridgerator ASAP? How about ordering a couple steaks uncooked from room service? First time on Disney so I don't know anything about how they run their ships.

Uh, No.

But, if you have a cigarette lighter I'm sure you could toast marshmellows on that balcony :thumbsup2
People are allowed to smoke on their balcony so that should be ok :confused3
Of course, the marshmellow won't brown well (we tried this once), but if you're really hungry....
;)

MrsScooby
07-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Been looking at pin trading. Are there any rules I should know about? ;)

Anyone dressing up for pirate night? Do they give you any help? pirate:

Don't trade with CMs at Guest Services if they look grumpy, even if they don't look busy at all :rolleyes:

CMs with green lanyards only trade with kids :thumbsup2

They will give us pirate bandanas to wear and I heard face painting for the "kids" as far as pirate night.

gichicdoc
07-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Bill (SSOceanlover):
Okay, feeling very gullible right now :blush:
And what do you mean "your" get together?!?
You are on the same cruise right??
Why wouldn't you be there too???
Michelle
:dance3:

S.S.Oceanlover
07-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Bill (SSOceanlover):
Okay, feeling very gullible right now :blush:
And what do you mean "your" get together?!?
You are on the same cruise right??
Why wouldn't you be there too???
Michelle
:dance3:

I look terrible in GREEN! :sad2:

What's CM? I feel so out of the loop.

Bill

newbiecruisers
07-18-2006, 09:09 AM
O.K. I've been spending the last 24 learning all about pin trading from people and the net :surfweb: . Ebay has a lot to offer IF you know what you are doing and I guess you should know what pins are actually worth.

Bill, CM is cast member(any Disney worker, I guess) and according to the rules they have to trade their pins with you if asked. I'm hearing some stories that they've been a little stingy lately. Saying things to the kids like "not that one, how about this one?" But those claims were from people visiting WDW parks.
The pin trading etiquette was interesting to read.

Anyway, I'm interested enough to let my daughter try it. Sounds like her kinda game. Can I buy just any lanyard?

Where's the pirate spirit out there? pirate:

newbiecruisers
07-18-2006, 09:11 AM
You PROMISED to introduce yourself! :bounce:

MrsScooby
07-18-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of the lime green either. I'm all for trying a different color. The leis are easy to get and easy to spot someone. Otherwise you wander around asking total strangers if they are S.S. Oceanlover and get met with funny looks :confused3

My DH pointed out that the best tip we got from these boards was to bring an "over the door shoe holder" with clear plastic pockets. I picked up a new one at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $15 (I'm using the one from the last cruise). We felt we had plenty of storage for the four night, but the shoe holder gave us a place to store things like sun screen, hair brush, hair ties, camera, etc all in one spot so you didn't waste time looking for them. We put it over the front of the bathroom door, very convenient :thumbsup2

Newbiecruiser, you can buy a lanyard on board. They also have "starter" lanyards that come with two sets of duplicate pins (4 total) and it costs about $25 for the whole thing (lanyard and pins). It sounds like alot of money (which it is), but it is a good deal considering pins start at about $6-7 each. I remember seeing these in the gift shop last time, I think they still have them.

I like meeting up at the Sail Away Party too :Pinkbounc

Laurie

gichicdoc
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Laurie (MrsScooby): I love the shoe bag idea. I spent so much time on our last cruise looking for items like the sunscreen, sunglasses, map, book, etc. This will be a great timesaver :thumbsup2

Everyone (esp. S.S.Oceanlover aka Bill): We are open to any color or item you like as an identifier. I found red, white and blue leis at oriental trading company at 2.95 for a dozen so I am willing to buy and bring those to distribute as folks arrive. They also had green, yellow, etc. So now you really have no excuse not to join us. I mean you can't be that shy...you've been posting on this board for weeks :rolleyes: If you don't show up, I'm going to start a thread when I get back with pictures of random men I see on the cruise asking "Could this be Bill???" :confused3 "Have you seen Bill???" :wave2:

:dumbo: :simba: :stitch: :goofy: :tigger: :donald: :mickeyjum

S.S.Oceanlover
07-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Laurie (MrsScooby): I love the shoe bag idea. I spent so much time on our last cruise looking for items like the sunscreen, sunglasses, map, book, etc. This will be a great timesaver :thumbsup2

Everyone (esp. S.S.Oceanlover aka Bill): We are open to any color or item you like as an identifier. I found red, white and blue leis at oriental trading company at 2.95 for a dozen so I am willing to buy and bring those to distribute as folks arrive. They also had green, yellow, etc. So now you really have no excuse not to join us. I mean you can't be that shy...you've been posting on this board for weeks :rolleyes: If you don't show up, I'm going to start a thread when I get back with pictures of random men I see on the cruise asking "Could this be Bill???" :confused3 "Have you seen Bill???" :wave2:

:dumbo: :simba: :stitch: :goofy: :tigger: :donald: :mickeyjum

If you were a gambling person you'd lose. :teeth:

Any color is fine with me (except green or pink). :thumbsup2

My family and the BD Mooses will be there. That's if the Moose is OK. Hurt his back this morning. :sad2:

Bill

newbiecruisers
07-19-2006, 08:38 AM
How about aqua blue? ;) Seems to be the it color right now, easy to find, not to mention the color of the tropics. (I just saw some at Party City.)

I think we should get them ahead of time so we can easily find each other. I know my kids would love trying to search out matching leis during the boarding and registration.

Any other suggestions?

MrsScooby
07-19-2006, 10:12 PM
I like all blue colors :thumbsup2
I need to run by the party store to see what colors they have. Why don't we look for Aqua Blue and if you can't find it, get any shade of blue you can :confused3 I'm guessing there won't be too many people with leis on deck 10 at the Party, I hope.

We do kinda have to get our own leis cause we will have a hard time picking each other out, especially at the Sail Away Party, without them. (Thanks for offering though, Michelle :) )

We're planning on being at the port when it opens and shooting for #2 boarding number!

I'm still trying to convince the boys to dress for pirate night pirate:
DD9 and I will be pirate dressed at least.

Laurie

MrsScooby
07-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Just wanted to post my 200th post here, whoo hoo :banana:

I think it was about 100 for the last cruise and now 100 for this one :thumbsup2

(life goes back to normal about a month after the cruise :thumbsup2 )

victoryblu
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi! My dad is taking me and my little sister{age9} and me{age12} on this cruise!!! Im SOOO excited!!! But this cruise would be even more fun if i had another 12 year old girl 2 hang out with!!!!! Instead of my little sis.Any takers?!? We are going on the 4-night Bahama cruise on the Disney Wonder!See ya there.

:dance3: :lovestruc :Pinkbounc :cloud9: :artist: :grouphug: :p -Blonde_pink_lover :cheer2: princess:

P.S. Ilike the icons :wave:

S.S.Oceanlover
07-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Just wanted to post my 200th post here, whoo hoo :banana:

I think it was about 100 for the last cruise and now 100 for this one :thumbsup2

Congrats on the 200th post. I'd hate to tell you how many I have on another cruise board. lol

Do I understand correctly that now I have to go out shopping for leis? Oh the inhumanity!! :banana:

Bill

victoryblu
07-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi all ! We're going too. There will be four of us. Myself, DH, DS 12 and DD9.
We are flying down the day before, probably renting a car, but not sure where we'll be staying yet (somewhere by the port).

Im going with my dad and little sister who is 9 also!!! And Im 12, but a girl. :) :cutie: pooh: :eeyore: :tinker: :dumbo: ::MickeyMo :simba: :stitch: :sulley: :goofy: :maleficen :tigger: :ccat: :tink:

I love the icons :love:

victoryblu
07-19-2006, 10:48 PM
:dumbo: :stitch: :simba: :goofy: :tigger: :ccat: :donald: :mickeyjum Just wanted to post my 200th post here, whoo hoo :banana:

Wow!!!! 200 posts!!! Thats alot. Im going with my dad and little sis thats 9.And Im 12,and a girl!!!

victoryblu
07-19-2006, 10:53 PM
I think we will also put blue on our door !!! So look for a blue of some sort on a door!! :cool: :cheer2: :cloud9:

MrsScooby
07-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Hi Victoryblu (12 year old), My son is 12 and he's ok for a boy :thumbsup2
Sounds like you will have no problems meeting kids on this cruise!! Definitely check out the Oceaneer Lab on the first day!!

Mrs. Scooby :wave2:

MrsScooby
07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Do I understand correctly that now I have to go out shopping for leis? Oh the inhumanity!! :banana:

Bill

See what you do Bill is send the DW out to get the leis (that's what my DH always does :rolleyes: )

gichicdoc
07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

Laurie (MrsScooby): Okay, picture this, there is a group of loud, giggling people with children at the sail-away party and they are wearing blue (red/white and blue, orange, yellow, whatever) leis on deck 10 overlooking the Goofy Pool. Even if you didn't bring a blue lei, how hard is it to realize that this your party? See, My reasoning is, if I bring the leis, Bill (SSOceanlover) really has no excuse not to join us (like having to go out and buy his own lei).

Victory Blue: Welcome to the board. You must be sooo excited! :cheer2: I know my DD (13) is. Even though you can't go to the same club, I'm sure she would love to meet you, maybe hang out together at the pool. Her name is Sarah and she is very into Disney pins. Do you collect them?

Can someone tell me how to add pictures (mine) and a ticker to my signature? I've failed several times--Can't work the VCR either :blush:

m.

S.S.Oceanlover
07-20-2006, 10:31 PM
I actually stopped at the Party store on the way to work. They were only $.25 a piece but I didn't find any colors that met my approval. I think someone mentioned blue/green. I started thinking of the color of the Miami Dolphins football team. Didn't have but 5 colors I think. Dark blue, yellow, white, green, and pink. Gonna check Ebay. If I'm gonna stand out I gota get a LOUD color!

Getting psyched now, just wish they'd assign my cabin!! :hourglass

Bill

MrsScooby
07-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Can someone tell me how to add pictures (mine) and a ticker to my signature? I've failed several times--Can't work the VCR either :blush:
m.

I just used the link to the www.tickerfactory.com that is above someone's ticker and followed the directions when I got there. I guess I was lucky because I've heard of others having trouble getting it to work also :confused3

I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. Something about going to photo bucket and uploading them to the web site and don't forget to resize them or they come out too big--that's what I remember reading somewhere.

If you want the picture under your signature, I forget how to do that :blush: I put the Scooby in 4 years ago and I forgot how I did it :guilty:

Laurie

MrsScooby
07-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Cool link.
Everything you need to know !!

http://allearsnet.com/cruise/mdcg.pdf

It's long !! :hourglass

BD Moose
07-22-2006, 10:17 AM
HI i don't get on computer alot. MY family going with ss.oceanlover family on cruise. How about tye dye leis? Lime green is Eagles and i can't wear green. What ss oceanlover is ok with were in .First time on boat[ship]. Like Bill menu didn't see anything i liked maybe order out :happytv: IS there a problem wearing tye dye pants or pirate outfitfor dinners? :cool1: :banana: :banana: :grouphug: :woohoo: :wave:

Daytona Cruisers
07-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Now, how does this work? ... this is our first post - FINALLY. We are the "maternal" parents of the NewbieCruisers. First time cruise for my hubby, second one for me. We are really looking forward to this cruise. We haven't seen the grandkids in over a year! We are Daytona Beach natives and want to be tourists SO BAD. Hope we are accepted into this planned get together on the August 27th Wonder cruise. Anyone out there that can offer up some advice to two fifty-somethin' cruisers? My husband is afraid of getting sea sick... :cheer2:

newbiecruisers
07-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Welcome mother! Glad you could join us! Better start the old man on Dramamine RIGHT NOW! :rotfl2:

B.D.Moose, Welcome back! Glad to hear you're feeling better. Is blue ;) manly enough for you? My Hubby and teenage boy WILL be wearing them with smiles on their faces!

I found over the door shoe holders at Walmart for $10 yesterday. Seems like a good buy! And a great idea-Thnks!

Great link from Mrs.Scooby! Still reading it though. It goes on FOREVER ..:surfweb:

S.S.Oceanlover
07-22-2006, 12:49 PM
welcome Daytona cruisers. Of course you are welcome! The more the merrier. :cool1:
I don't think hubby will get remotely seasick unless we are on the outskirts of a hurricane with rough seas.
I've seen lots of first timers worried about getting sick. Wearing 2 patches thinking the more patches the less chance of sickness. Unfortunately that's too much medicine at one time.
Tell hubby to relax and he'll be fine. So now I have to take an over the shoulder , boulder holder for the back of my door? It only has 2 compartments?? How much stuff could we possibly put in it??? :rotfl:

BDMoose nice to see you. Hope the back is getting better!!

Bill

MrsScooby
07-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Welcome Daytona Cruisers and Welcome Back BD Moose :cheer2:

The more the merrier!

Pirate costumes are required for Pirate Night (3rd night) of cruise ;)

Tye Dye pants in the dining rooms may get you alot of looks, but technically ok as far as the dress code. :thumbsup2

As far as sea sickness, I was worried about that also on my first cruise because I am very prone to it. (Air sick, car sick, sea sick - all of them). I took Bonine the morning of the cruise with breakfast. Some people take it the night before. Not a bad idea to try some in advance to see if it makes you sleepy (not suppose to though). I did have a sailaway drink since it was hours after I took it, but I'm pretty sure you're not suppose to do that :blush: (didn't know you could get the drink without the alcohol at the time) Ginger capsules have also worked for me. I'm bringing Bonine and ginger capsules with me in my carryon.
They do provide bonine on the ship (I think for free), but by the time you find it, it may be too late :confused3
Very important to take something either before you feel sick or at the first sign. Once it is in full swing, it is very hard to get rid of :guilty:
These ships are great. I only fely movement once the entire time we were on it and that was on the last day (captain was following the sun :goodvibes )

That link I posted is to a very long (88 pages ?) report on the ship. Probably can't read in one sitting, but I was impressed with what it had.

Also, if anyone is considering the Spa for manicure or pedicure, I heard some bad reports about those services. Someone came home with nail fungus from the manicure. I'm getting mine done before we cruise :goodvibes
Maybe tye dye toes?

Laurie

S.S.Oceanlover
07-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Pirate costumes are required for Pirate Night (3rd night) of cruise ;)

Laurie

I guess that's another night I'll be firing up the Hibachi. :guilty:

Bill

Donald & Daisy Duck
07-23-2006, 02:13 PM
This is our third Disney cruise and we can't wait. Going with DD (13) and DS (11). DS is also a big ruinscape fan.
This is our first time posting on any board so it's very new and exciting.
We also have some friends traveling with us, one on their 4th DW cruise and the rest on their 1st.
Hope to see you there. pirate:

Donald & Daisy Duck
07-23-2006, 02:30 PM
How do you add your disney information (where you've stayed etc.) at the bottom of your postings? Does the information stay for every post..

exempt5
07-23-2006, 05:21 PM
is there a way to reserve the private room in palo's before we board? :dance3:

MrsScooby
07-23-2006, 06:18 PM
How do you add your disney information (where you've stayed etc.) at the bottom of your postings? Does the information stay for every post..

Welcome Donald and Daisy Duck !!

I went to the link for UserCP at the top of this page. Click on edit signature. Add all your trips (not too many because they have size restrictions for signatures). Hit preview when you're done to see what it will look like and if you like it hit save. :thumbsup2

I forget what the size restrictions were, but if you check the FAQ thread on the main DCL forum it should be there (or around that thread at least).

The runescape boys are going to be happy your son is joining the crowd!! My DS is 12, but will be in the same kids club as yours.

This board is great for newbies to posting because most (99%) of the people on this board are super patient and nice. :goodvibes

Laurie

MrsScooby
07-23-2006, 06:22 PM

Welcome Exempt5 !!
I've seen on some other cruise meet threads that they were reserving a private room in Palo, but I don't know how you arrange it :confused3

Are you sailing with a group?

Laurie

Donald & Daisy Duck
07-23-2006, 07:29 PM

I heard that you have to fax in a request for private room. However, I'm not sure you can still get it since it's so close to the cruise date :cool1:

Donald & Daisy Duck
07-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks Mrs Scooby! As you can see, it worked. Appreciate your help.

exempt5
07-23-2006, 08:34 PM
:happytv:
yes we are a large group

does anybody have the fax number for dcl

victoryblu
07-24-2006, 12:45 AM
So are we going to wear lays or what? My little sis was pretty excited when she found out you have a daughter her age! :tigger: :goofy: pooh: :tinker: :sulley: :ccat: :smickey:

victoryblu
07-24-2006, 12:49 AM
This is our third Disney cruise and we can't wait. Going with DD (13) and DS (11). DS is also a big ruinscape fan.
This is our first time posting on any board so it's very new and exciting.
We also have some friends traveling with us, one on their 4th DW cruise and the rest on their 1st.
Hope to see you there. pirate:
Well im going with my dad @ little sis who is 9.Pretty close to 11 and she is a tomboy!! And im 12 and a girl!!!!! We will both be going into the Oceaneer Lab!! :dance3:

newbiecruisers
07-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Whatever happened to Emmabelle and Hobbitmama,etc.... :confused3

Well, I just purchased aqua blue ;) leis at Party City for my crew so that's what we'll be wearing. They had all different shades of blue.

What is absolutely necessary to carry on the ship? How soon can we get the rest of our stuff? I saw a thread entitled "what would you do differently next time" and everyone said bring less carry on stuff. I didn't think that would be such a big deal!

Anyone working on door signs? :artist:

Donald & Daisy Duck
07-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Anyone know how to make these magnetic door signs? I'm not sure how to do it, but would love to put one on our door. :confused3

Hobbitmomma
07-24-2006, 09:03 PM

:

I'm here! I've been checking in (lurking) every couple of days. We have had family in visiting for the last two weeks and I had performances as well as dad still in hospital, so it's been hectic! I am now officially counting down. :woohoo: I've made little clues out of the Home Depot Mickey Mouse paint chips to stick in the kids' things for on the plane. We plan to tell them little by little on the plane. I can't wait to see their faces! :Pinkbounc

I was thinking of making a door sign, but I've heard so many stories about them getting stolen unless they are personalized. But I don't really want to put my kids' names on them either. So I'm undecided.

We will definitely look for blue leis.

Hobbitmomma
07-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Anyone know how to make these magnetic door signs? I'm not sure how to do it, but would love to put one on our door. :confused3

There is a thread about this on the main cruise line forum. Lots of good ideas.

S.S.Oceanlover
07-24-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm here! I've been checking in (lurking) every couple of days. We have had family in visiting for the last two weeks and I had performances as well as dad still in hospital, so it's been hectic! I am now officially counting down. :woohoo: I've made little clues out of the Home Depot Mickey Mouse paint chips to stick in the kids' things for on the plane. We plan to tell them little by little on the plane. I can't wait to see their faces! :Pinkbounc

I was thinking of making a door sign, but I've heard so many stories about them getting stolen unless they are personalized. But I don't really want to put my kids' names on them either. So I'm undecided.

We will definitely look for blue leis.

Hope your Dad is good as new ASAP! :)

The sign under my post is going to be my door sign. I am going to customize it with our family name and our cabin number once we are assigned a cabin number. I bought magnetic paper at Office Depot. It is 5 sheets of glossy 8 1/2" X 11" that you can print on. It was about $14.00.

here's a link to an auction on Ebay that has 5 sheets of glossy 8 1/2" X 11" magnet paper for a penny (buy it now) plus $5.99 shipping.
Ebay glossy magnet paper auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/5-sheet-8-5x11-Printable-Magnet-Glossy-Picture-Paper_W0QQitemZ160009957033QQihZ006QQcategoryZ7345 7QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Bill

newbiecruisers
07-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Are you going to tell them about the cruise? I wish I had thought to surprise mine. It would have been easy since we are visiting my family for a week first.
Oh well. Next time ;)

I guess Bill can't hide now, leis or no leis. We can search out that door sign (and the smell of the grill of course) :rotfl:

Can't you just use little magnets to hold the sign up?

A fun idea might have been to have each family wear a different color and then we could each have a key of sort so we would know who we were talking to right away. Probably, too much! I can be difficult that way :blush:

BD Moose
07-25-2006, 09:43 AM
:cool1: :happytv: :wizard: Will are luggage be in our rooms when we arrive? Or should we should we bring a carry on case with us when we go on the boat?Also what time can yougo on the boat? :grouphug: :Pinkbounc :woohoo: :wave: :sunny:
?

Hobbitmomma
07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Newbiecruisers:

Good to be back! as far as the kids go, we are dropping clues on them a little at a time during the flight. I've made up all of these things for them to "find". The first one is a picture of Jack Sparrow with a caption that tells them that they are going on a treasure hunt. Then (and I'm hoping to enlist the help of a friendly flight attendent) they will find those little paint chips from Home Depot with clues on them. (Bibbity,Bobbity, Boo, or Hakuna Mutata, you get the idea.) The final few will say, "Mommy and Daddy lied."
Then I have a big sheet with all of the Disney Characters on it saying, "We're going to Disney." I think that I should apologize to the other passengers ahead of time for the screams! :rotfl: While in the parks, we aren't going to tell them about the cruise either.

BD Moose:

For the door signs, I read a post that said that you can get magnetic tape at Walmart.

My understanding about luggage is that it will be in your stateroom when you arrive. You should bring a carry on though with your valuables and camera, medication, etc. I think that boarding is first come.... However, if you have the land/sea package, I think that you can just board as soon as the shuttle gets you there. (Which isn't until the afternoon anyway I think since it picks up at Animal Kingdom at 12:00) I'm not the expert though. There are plenty of folks here who have done this many times who can give you more info. This is our first cruise! :woohoo:

BD Moose
07-25-2006, 10:36 AM
:hourglass :rotfl2: pirate: :3dglasses Taking my son to Breezes when we dock in Nassau. Has anyone done Breeze? Son is 16. Wife and daughter are doing the dolphin encounter.

MrsScooby
07-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi All :wave2:

I think the time they allow boarding varies anywhere from 11:30 to Noon. The terminal "officially" opens at 10 am and when you arrive they give you a boarding number. The concierge get number 1 automatically (maybe Land/Sea also, not sure). I've heard the boarding goes pretty quickly and the only reason to get there early (besides wanting to roam the ship or use the pool) is to change dining arrangements or shore excursions.

The rooms are officially available at 1:30pm (sometimes earlier). Luggage arrival in the room can vary. Some people wind up overpacking their carryons for fear that their luggage will be delayed or lost. They will not turn you away from the dining rooms (unless swimsuits and maybe not even then) so not really necessary to carry around a suitcase.

There is a great door sign thread on the main boards for making signs. I haven't started one yet so I'm no help in that area. The best suggestion I read is to write (black sharpie) your cabin number on the front of the sign as soon as you get to your room. This way if you get an upgrade :cool1:
you will have the correct cabin number on the sign.

Emmabelle had to change her cruise date to accomodate her kid's school schedule. She should be getting off the Wonder the same day we are getting on.

Make sure you don't pack your cruise docs or your bc/passport in your luggage.
Hobbitmomma is right, keep your valuables with you
and sea sickness meds (or come find me because I'm sure I'll have enough for all :lmao: )

Thanks for the link to the glossy magnet paper Bill :thumbsup2

There is a link somewhere for some cute Disney shirts that I bought a few days ago ($3.99 each!!). That's what we will be wearing on embarktion day (if I got the sizes right :blush: )

Laurie (DH-Darren, DS-Andrew (12), DD-Kelly(9))

MrsScooby
07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
:hourglass :rotfl2: pirate: :3dglasses Taking my son to Breezes when we dock in Nassau. Has anyone done Breeze? Son is 16. Wife and daughter are doing the dolphin encounter.

I have't heard of Breezes before (I meant to ask Bill what that was). We are doing the Dolphin Swim at around 10 am on Nassau Day. We have been wanting to do this for years, couldn't before because DD (Kelly) was too young.

Laurie

MrsScooby
07-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Ok, check out these shirts :cool1:

http://disneyshopping.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_Id=13842&Product_Id=194663

I've heard they run big,so if you decide to order get a size smaller than you normally would.

S.S.Oceanlover
07-25-2006, 10:35 PM
I have't heard of Breezes before (I meant to ask Bill what that was). We are doing the Dolphin Swim at around 10 am on Nassau Day. We have been wanting to do this for years, couldn't before because DD (Kelly) was too young.

Laurie

Breezes is an all inclusive in Cable Beach. You must be 14 or older to get in though.
http://www.superclubs.com/brand_breezes/resort_bahamas/

$55pp with coupon. $1pp jitney each way.

Use of all the non motorized water toys, food and booze. I don't drink much so they'll make out on me in that dept.

Bill

emmabelle
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM

Hi Guys,

I've been checking in on this thread from time to time, glad to see it's still alive, it's actually the biggest thread I've ever created. ;)

We actually changed our plans and dropped the Disney Cruise, oh the horror! We had a chance to take a different cruise at the end of this June for an extra day, an extra cabin, Mexico instead of Nassua, for $300 less. I couldn't help myself. I'm feeling a little disappointed now seeing that your cruise is almost here. We are still going to the Beach Club and I can't wait for the free dining and for Stormalong Bay. Have fun everyone! I'll be checking back in soon. :)

S.S.Oceanlover
07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been checking in on this thread from time to time, glad to see it's still alive, it's actually the biggest thread I've ever created. ;)

We actually changed our plans and dropped the Disney Cruise, oh the horror! We had a chance to take a different cruise at the end of this June for an extra day, an extra cabin, Mexico instead of Nassua, for $300 less. I couldn't help myself. I'm feeling a little disappointed now seeing that your cruise is almost here. We are still going to the Beach Club and I can't wait for the free dining and for Stormalong Bay. Have fun everyone! I'll be checking back in soon. :)

Nice to hear from you. Sounds like you got a great deal on that other cruise :cool1:

We just got our cabin assignments today. We are on deck 7 all the way forward in the very first cabin. Glad we don't have to anchor anywhere as that anchor dropping is awfully loud when it's dropping! :bounce:

Now I can start filling out my online stuff.

Bill

MrsScooby
07-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi Emmabelle,
Your cruise sounds like it was great!! Look what you started with this thread :thumbsup2

We're one month away :cool1: :cheer2: :banana:

BD Moose
07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
BILL :rotfl: :banana: found some invisible leis for nothing :confused3 :rotfl: :rotfl: :banana: :joker:

MrsScooby
07-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey Moose,
You wear those tye dye pants and I'm pretty sure we'll be able to find you on the cruise :teeth:

S.S.Oceanlover
07-28-2006, 10:58 PM
BILL :rotfl: :banana: found some invisible leis for nothing :confused3 :rotfl: :rotfl: :banana: :joker:

Moose,
Great. Can you pick us up a 1/2 dozen?? That way if they get dirty halfway through the cruise we have new clean ones to wear.
Another thing, do we have to wear these all week? I'd hate to have a tan line from wearing the lei. :Pinkbounc

Bill

newbiecruisers
07-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Hi, Emmabelle. Hope you had an enjoyable trip!

Bill, you should be wearing your leis RIGHT NOW. We are already looking for you!

Got our pirate outfits together finally pirate: ! Hope we're not the only ones! Got a nice pin starter set going, also. Anything else anyone can think of. I haven't spent enough prevacation money yet!! Oh yeah, we have to dress for dinner...better hit the mall :love:

S.S.Oceanlover
07-29-2006, 03:49 AM
Hi, Emmabelle. Hope you had an enjoyable trip!

Bill, you should be wearing your leis RIGHT NOW. We are already looking for you!

Got our pirate outfits together finally pirate: ! Hope we're not the only ones! Got a nice pin starter set going, also. Anything else anyone can think of. I haven't spent enough prevacation money yet!! Oh yeah, we have to dress for dinner...better hit the mall :love:

Thank goodness we bought our stuff earlier this year before our cruise last month.
Moose and his wench are getting pirated up. Somebody in another thread said my cabin is right near secret deck 7. I'd like to share the secret with you but they swore me to secrecy!

Bill

MrsScooby
07-29-2006, 11:32 AM
I haven't spent enough prevacation money yet!! Oh yeah, we have to dress for dinner...better hit the mall :love:

LOL :lmao:

My family was just teasing me last night saying they were taking bets on what I was going to buy next for the cruise. I haven't bought the leis yet :blush:

DH and I are trying to lose some weight before this cruise. Hopefully we will be wearing our old clothes soon :woohoo:

Yeah, I guess you guys would get some pretty funny tan lines on the beach wearing a lei :rotfl:

S.S.Oceanlover
07-29-2006, 12:41 PM
LOL :lmao:

My family was just teasing me last night saying they were taking bets on what I was going to buy next for the cruise. I haven't bought the leis yet :blush:

DH and I are trying to lose some weight before this cruise. Hopefully we will be wearing our old clothes soon :woohoo:

Yeah, I guess you guys would get some pretty funny tan lines on the beach wearing a lei :rotfl:

Been down that road too many times. Diet for a couple months to lose 10 pounds then cruise for a week and gain 5 back. I gave up. Easier to buy new clothes. My 90 year old grandmother asks me all the time when I'm going to have my baby! :banana:

Bill

S.S.Oceanlover
07-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Is anybody coming down on the 26th?? Anybody staying at the Residence Inn?

Bill

MrsScooby
07-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi Bill,
We're at the Residence Inn on the 26th. Not sure what time we will be arriving though. Our plane lands around 3pm and we hope to stop at Downtown Disney, have dinner and then head to PC. Maybe we'll see you at breakfast (you'll be the one with the invisible lei, right?--My DH loved that BTW)

My DH and DD are big Met fans.
Anyone else a baseball fan ?

Laurie

BD Moose
07-30-2006, 11:04 AM
My son is a football fan T.O. is his main man.I like the Braves hate the Phillies. Don't have time to really get into baseball with work and children playing soccer basketball and ice hockey. Bill got you 2 dozen leis no tan lines. Daughter likes Steelers Wife likes Eagles Me i root for any team playing the Eagles. :banana: :banana: :cool1: :sunny: :sunny:

BD Moose
07-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know if you can bring playststion 2 and hook it up to the tv? :crazy: :wave: :woohoo:

S.S.Oceanlover
07-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Bill,
We're at the Residence Inn on the 26th. Not sure what time we will be arriving though. Our plane lands around 3pm and we hope to stop at Downtown Disney, have dinner and then head to PC. Maybe we'll see you at breakfast (you'll be the one with the invisible lei, right?--My DH loved that BTW)

My DH and DD are big Met fans.
Anyone else a baseball fan ?

Laurie

We get in about 1pm. Plan on swimming and then heading towards Cocoa Beach to Sonnys BBQ Pit for dinner. That's if the plane is on schedule.
I root for all Philadelphia teams. My son likes the Tennesseee Titans.

Moose why don't you just bring a TV that you can hook up to the Playstation. What's one more item when you have 14 suitcases?

Bill

BD Moose
07-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Good idea i'll rent a u haul :grouphug: :Pinkbounc :banana: :cool1: Bill do they have gatorade on the ship for my diet also can you get it in Nassua :Pinkbounc :grouphug: :woohoo: :wave:

S.S.Oceanlover
07-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Good idea i'll rent a u haul :grouphug: :Pinkbounc :banana: :cool1: Bill do they have gatorade on the ship for my diet also can you get it in Nassua :Pinkbounc :grouphug: :woohoo: :wave:

no idea about either one. Have to ask the Disney experts. Maybe somebody will know. What are you trying to do on your diet, get down to 80 pounds?

Bill

BD Moose
07-30-2006, 02:30 PM
No don't like what they have :crazy: :rotfl: :rotfl: to drink on the boat. Maybe bring some iron city and 3 strooges beer too :confused3 pirate:

gichicdoc
07-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Everyone!

We just returned from a week touring the amusement parks of Ohio- Kings' Island, Geauga Lake and Cedar Point. On top of bruises, a ruptured spleen and a headache, I have severe DCL chatboard withdrawal :rotfl: !!

I think I am getting too old for these roller coasters :guilty: but our teens were in heaven :banana: . Anyone else ridden the "Top Thrill Dragster"?!? It accelerates from 0 to 120 mph in <4 seconds, takes you vertically (90 degrees) up to an ungodly height and then races back again vertically.

So we received our "land" package documents while we were gone - woohooo :Pinkbounc Has anyone gotten any more documents from DCL? I think they sent our luggage tags a while back but not sure.

Mrs Scooby, as you can see, I got the ticker to work- thanks for the link.

BD Moose, if you get the PS2 hooked up, my DS (13) will bring the gatorade as an admission pass - there's not much he likes more than video games and gatorade :happytv:

Still need to buy the pirates night garb. What are the ladies wearing?? I'm looking for ideas.

m.

bellelinus
07-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone -- as for pirate's costumes for women, I got mine on buycostumes.com -- I and all three of my daughters will be dressed completely as pirates that night (although 4 slightly different costumes) so if you feel like doing more than the bandana, you won't be alone. We should be pretty easy to spot at the early seating -- 4 pirates costumes and a variety of hair colors (my oldest daughter is a redhead, the second a blonde, the little one a brunette).

I haven't gotten any cruise docs yet -- was expecting them in the next 10 days or so . . .

Hobbitmomma
07-30-2006, 09:00 PM
OK, so when do we receive documents and what are they exactly? We are doing the land/sea combo, so we are actually flying on the 24th. I thought that we got our luggage tags at the airport, but some of the posts I've read say otherwise.

BTW, I didn't realize there were so many Philly area folks. We are from the area too. Before you ask, hubby is a diehard Chicago fan. (That's where he grew up.) He listens to all the Cubs games online and goes to Champs for all of the Bears games. He does like the Flyers though. I'm not much into all of that, but I've been to a number of Phillies games. (Cut school to go to the parade when they won the World Series!)

S.S.Oceanlover
07-30-2006, 09:10 PM
I got my dress up night clothes and my pirate night garb. Dockers and golf shirts. :moped:

Bill

gichicdoc
07-30-2006, 09:18 PM
After my last post I checked our documents and found that we haven't yet received our final cruise documents (which last time had our luggage tags and our boarding documents). We are also arriving on the 24th (doing a 3 night land package) and staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We already received our luggage tags for the "Magical Express" (transport from Airport to AK lodge).
But we are doing a private car from AK to the port because we didn't like how late the shuttle went to the port (12:30 pm).
Can anyone tell me what happens with our luggage when we get to the port? Do we take it inside or check it curbside or what?
Also, can we do the "check-in" for the cruise at the AK lodge? I had read something about this elsewhere.

bellelinus
07-31-2006, 07:31 AM
After my last post I checked our documents and found that we haven't yet received our final cruise documents (which last time had our luggage tags and our boarding documents). We are also arriving on the 24th (doing a 3 night land package) and staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We already received our luggage tags for the "Magical Express" (transport from Airport to AK lodge).
But we are doing a private car from AK to the port because we didn't like how late the shuttle went to the port (12:30 pm).
Can anyone tell me what happens with our luggage when we get to the port? Do we take it inside or check it curbside or what?
Also, can we do the "check-in" for the cruise at the AK lodge? I had read something about this elsewhere.

I haven't done it, but I have read that you can not only check in for the cruise at your hotel before you cruise when doing the land/sea, but also check your luggage at the hotel and have it show up in your stateroom. I would assume that this would be possible even if you are not using Disney transport to the ship, but you could post the question on the regular cruise boards and someone there will be sure to tell you.

newbiecruisers
07-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi guys! I haven't recieved any cruise documents yet. We leave for FL on Aug 19th so hopefully they'll get here in time!

As for pirate garb, I ebayed myself a puffy peasant type blouse and a corset to go over it. I'll just wear a flowy skirt or black pants and boots (ooh, more luggage space for those!) I thought I read somewhere that they give you bandanas or something. My daughter has gathered some clothes she says are piratey, so if she thinks so thats good enough for me. My son has an old homemade Hook outfit and my hubby a borrowed Jack Sparrow outfit. The teenager is going to be difficult but he will look out of place amongst the rest of us if he doesn't do it and thats gonna be my line :thumbsup2 Need some weapons!

Wondering about a formal night. Is there one on the 4 night?

Hobbitmomma
07-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Hubby and I have Palo reservations on Pirate Night. Oh well. We didn't know which night it was until after we made the reservations, and we couldn't change them. They assured us that they also do Pirate Night in the clubs, so the kids won't miss out on the fun. (They'll be in Oceaneers) They also told us that we would be out of Palo in plenty of time to take the kids to the ondeck party. I think we'll bring some of my son's pirate costume from Halloween so he can get dressed up. My daughter is only interested in princesses.

It's my understanding that Monday night is formal night. But I'm sure if you ask on the main forum, someone will know the answer.

S.S.Oceanlover
07-31-2006, 11:18 AM
HobbitMomma,
There is no formal night on the 4 day cruise. Found this on a disney page.

On the 3 and 4 day cruises you will have one night that is designated "dress-up." Gentleman will be asked to wear a jacket and ladies either a dress or pantsuit.

Bill

Donald & Daisy Duck
07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Hubby and I have Palo reservations on Pirate Night. Oh well. We didn't know which night it was until after we made the reservations, and we couldn't change them. They assured us that they also do Pirate Night in the clubs, so the kids won't miss out on the fun. (They'll be in Oceaneers) They also told us that we would be out of Palo in plenty of time to take the kids to the ondeck party. I think we'll bring some of my son's pirate costume from Halloween so he can get dressed up. My daughter is only interested in princesses.

It's my understanding that Monday night is formal night. But I'm sure if you ask on the main forum, someone will know the answer.

How can we find out which night is Pirate night. We would hate to miss it, especially since we are travelling in a group with alot of children and all of the parents are supposed to go to Palo together. If I can find out when Pirate Night is, maybe I can switch Palo night to another night. Thanks. pirate:

Donald & Daisy Duck
07-31-2006, 02:42 PM
We haven't decided on our pirate outfits yet. I just looked at Walmart advertisement and they have an adult pirate shirt for $7.99 - this may be our outfits plus the bandanas DD(13) said they were "kinda" cool. Just a black t-shirt with a skull and crossed swords.

Donald & Daisy Duck
07-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Bill,

My DH wanted you to know that your costume sounds just like his only his will be Dockers short and tee shirt :firefight

Hobbitmomma
07-31-2006, 02:51 PM
How can we find out which night is Pirate night. We would hate to miss it, especially since we are travelling in a group with alot of children and all of the parents are supposed to go to Palo together. If I can find out when Pirate Night is, maybe I can switch Palo night to another night. Thanks. pirate:

I called and they told me that it is Tuesday night. (Castaway Cay day) Of course, we didn't think to ask until after we made our Palo reservations. Oh well.

MrsScooby
07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi Everyone!
We just returned from a week touring the amusement parks of Ohio- Kings' Island, Geauga Lake and Cedar Point. On top of bruises, a ruptured spleen and a headache, I have severe DCL chatboard withdrawal :rotfl: !!
m.

You didn't really have a ruptured spleen !! Or it just felt like that :confused3
I used to be a huge roller coaster fan myself, now they just give me headaches. I guess I've gotten too old for them too :guilty:

We should be getting cruise docs soon :banana:

The only reason I knew when Pirate Night was from reading the main DCL boards. The Passporter guide has it as a different night and I had a hard time convincing DH that they were wrong--too many people on the main DCL board to believe otherwise. If you get to the terminal early you can try to change your dining rotation or any of your reservations. Apparently they reserve a few spots for people who don't have access to computers. After lunch head to the spot designated for changes (I'm not sure where it is , but they will tell us at check in).
Our Disney shirts that I ordered came today!! For $3.99 they were nice and should look good for a photo. I'm wearing the teal Disney shirt :bounce:
They ran very big, but since I ordered smaller than I normally would they are fine (it looks like only my DS is wearing one that's too big and at 12 they like them that way anyway :rolleyes: )

Hobbitmomma, I'm a huge Tolkien fan too!!

Laurie

gichicdoc
07-31-2006, 11:42 PM
No, no ruptured spleen that I can confirm (i've been inspired by Bill's (SS Oceanlover) tall tales :rotfl: ) but the belly pain was quite real. It may have just been a lot of greasy, bad food for several days in a row-- aren't you glad we don't have to endure that on the cruise ?!? :cool1:

Laurie, where'd you order the T-shirts from?

My presumption is that the "semi-formal" night is the last night (at sea night) and the pirate night is the castaway cay night. Is that right? Since we have two rooms (one for kids, one for us) we have two palo reservations- the first and second night- we'll end up cancelling one after we get our rotation assignment. I also called and asked to have Pirate night in AP--my kids like that one the best and I think it suits the costumes best.

Anticipation...... :rolleyes1

S.S.Oceanlover
08-01-2006, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't think the dress up night would be the last night as most people are packing their suitcases. At least on other cruiselines they are.
They won't have it the first night as some people might not have their luggae and the Pirate night is Tuesday night. That only leaves Monday night??

Am I off base here? Anyone confirm.?

Glad to hear your stomach problems have passes gichidoc. :)

Bill

Hobbitmomma
08-01-2006, 01:48 PM
My husband just called and told me that the launch window for Space Shuttle Atlantis is Aug. 27 to Sept...something. The shuttle would launch at 4:30!!! How awesome would that be?!!! My 7 year old son would practically jump out of his skin! I hope they launch as scheduled. DH called down there to inquire about whether we would have a good vantage point from the ship and they said that it would be excellent.

My understanding (from reading the DCL website and these boards) is that dress-up night is Monday.

Laurie
Excellent!!!!

S.S.Oceanlover
08-01-2006, 03:33 PM

Laurie

Does he play 3rd base for the Cubs?

Bill

MrsScooby
08-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Laurie, where'd you order the T-shirts from?

http://disneyshopping.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_Id=13842&Product_Id=194663

They came pretty quickly, but order a size smaller than you ordinarily would because they run large !!

MrsScooby
08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
From what I've heard on the main DCL boards, Nassau night is the "official dress up night". It is not formal though. When I last went, dress up was whatever night you were in Tritons. We are going to Palo that night (Nassau), so will be dressed up anyway :cool1:

I seriously don't remember what anyone was wearing (except ourselves- and only because we have pictures). I think it is only a big deal on the Magic because they have formal and semi-formal nights and people get put out when they get all dressed up and their dinner neighbors don't.

My daughter was a pirate for Halloween so hopefully the costume still fits. I found a pretty blue skirt in Cold Water Creek (size small which is tight, but it was the last one and that's why I have to lose weight by Pirate Night popcorn:: ) It's long and looks pirate wench like so if I find the right blouse I should be set :thumbsup2
Pirate Night is Castaway Cay night, Tuesday night pirate:

Oh and Bill,
Tolkien plays for the Mets :teeth:

MrsScooby
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
My husband just called and told me that the launch window for Space Shuttle Atlantis is Aug. 27 to Sept...something. The shuttle would launch at 4:30!!! How awesome would that be?!!! My 7 year old son would practically jump out of his skin! I hope they launch as scheduled. DH called down there to inquire about whether we would have a good vantage point from the ship and they said that it would be excellent.

Didn't they just launch or try to launch in July? I was so jealous of the July cruisers because they were getting to see the launch and opening night of the POCII movie. Was it delayed or is this another launch ? I've heard the traffic is horrendous when they have a launch :crazy:

Hobbitmomma
08-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Didn't they just launch or try to launch in July? I was so jealous of the July cruisers because they were getting to see the launch and opening night of the POCII movie. Was it delayed or is this another launch ? I've heard the traffic is horrendous when they have a launch :crazy:
Yes they did. This is another launch. They just moved the Atlantis to the cape this week. I'm really hoping that all goes well and they can launch on time. It would be beyond cool! :cool1:

gichicdoc
08-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Just saw this posted on another thread. Do we still want to stick with the Deck 10 location? It sounds like the second woman has done this a lot (11 times to be exact).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1182885

Just food for thought. popcorn::

gichicdoc
08-01-2006, 11:31 PM

They came pretty quickly, but order a size smaller than you ordinarily would because they run large !!

Thanks Laurie!
That was a great deal :thumbsup2
I actually ordered the orange and turquoise for DD and remaining colors for DS,DH and me. Aren't these the weights/statues on CC??
Are you going to wear yours to the sail-away party? We'll probably be changed into dinner clothes by then but may wear them the day we board--Is that too corny? :confused3

newbiecruisers
08-02-2006, 08:29 AM
So, shirt and tie with NO jacket would be acceptable for hubby? :groom: We are leaving home for 2 weeks and would love to pack as light as possible!

14 yo son got a haircut! (about 5 inches!):cool1: Watch out girls!!!!

newbiecruisers
08-02-2006, 08:52 AM
According to allears.net the semiformal night is whatever night we go to Tritons for dinner. So, everyone is not dressed up at the same time?

BD Moose
08-02-2006, 09:06 AM
:banana: I saw on one thread that Monday was semi formal night. Bill. :thumbsup2 :yay: :bounce: :joker: I see that there a quarter master arcade.Do you need $for the gamesor are they free play?First timer don't know what's free or not . Finding bits about the boat as i surf the net. :Pinkbounc :crazy: :confused3 :confused3

S.S.Oceanlover
08-02-2006, 12:44 PM
So, shirt and tie with NO jacket would be acceptable for hubby? :groom: We are leaving home for 2 weeks and would love to pack as light as possible!

14 yo son got a haircut! (about 5 inches!):cool1: Watch out girls!!!!

My sentiments exactly! Not packing a jacket or tie. Button down shirt is as far as i go. :confused3

I'd get a haircut too but first I have to have some! :yay:

Moose what are you doing home?? Everything on the ship is free isn't it? That's what you told me when you talked me into this trip.

I knew I should have gone camping!!

Bill

Bill

BD Moose
08-02-2006, 01:11 PM
:cool1: :Pinkbounc Worked half day . Getting ready to go to work later and then pt :Pinkbounc :banana: :confused3

S.S.Oceanlover
08-02-2006, 02:50 PM
What happens if on our cruise there is a hurricane and the ship can't go to the Bahamas? Do we have 4 days at sea, bobbing around in the rough water?

Bought travel insurance today just in case.

Bill

MrsScooby
08-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Just saw this posted on another thread. Do we still want to stick with the Deck 10 location? It sounds like the second woman has done this a lot (11 times to be exact).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1182885

Just food for thought. popcorn::

I saw that too and was having second thoughts as well. I'm hard of hearing (sometimes a blessing :goodvibes ), but I would be hard pressed to carry on a conversation in front of a loud band. Not to mention with the shuttle launch a possibility at 4:30, I'm going to be looking up not wanting to miss it :Pinkbounc
Also, I have a feeling near a bar might be a good place too :thumbsup2

Oh, Moose, the Arcade games are extra (credit to a game card, not coin operated). All bar drinks are extra (I think they have a beer mug special that saves you money if you drink a lot) Spa is extra, excursions extra, bingo and wine tasting extra... it builds up to quite a bill for the last day if you're not careful :guilty:

Last I heard the jacket and tie is optional. A nice button down dress shirt for Palo or Triton (plus pants, I can hear Bill already.... :rolleyes: ) is fine. I've heard of someone being turned away from Palo for wearing shorts. Also, Palo has a deadline for canceling reservations, I forget what it is though :confused3 You just get charged the $10 per person if you don't cancel in time.

Laurie

newbiecruisers
08-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Just look for the bald, pregnant guy complaining about being kicked out of Palo for wearing Dockers and a tee shirt!

:cool1:

S.S.Oceanlover
08-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Just look for the bald, pregnant guy complaining about being kicked out of Palo for wearing Dockers and a tee shirt!

:cool1:

Not bald yet but very thin. Not going to Palos so I'm good to go. Ashame they don't have a buffet for dinner. Another first for me.

I do know how to dress on a regular cruise but I'm cruising with a rodent !:confused3
I'm on the far right next to that tall kid. The red head is my bride. (poor her) lol!

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/vac60x.jpg

Bill

newbiecruisers
08-03-2006, 08:52 AM
The way you talk, Bill, I wouldn't have expected you to clean up so good. Or is it that they can dress you up but not take you out! :rotfl2: Its a lovely picture!

That wouldn't be BDMoose with you, would it?

MrsScooby
08-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, he looks so normal :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Seriously though, the picture is beautiful :thumbsup2
What cruise were you on? Is the background real or a backdrop? Almost looks like you were on the Titanic from that background.

I love the evening wear and tuxes!! Have to go on the Magic to get the formal night though.

Bill, they have buffets at lunch time (I remember having some kind of Asian buffet on the Sea Day last time we went at BBB-- on deck, there was regular food as well, all good)

Laurie

S.S.Oceanlover
08-03-2006, 10:08 AM
That is a fake backdrop from when we were on the Caribbean Princess in 2004.
I've really let myself go since then. :rotfl:

Nope this is Mooses first cruise so that's not him!

Bill

MrsScooby
08-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks Laurie!
That was a great deal :thumbsup2
I actually ordered the orange and turquoise for DD and remaining colors for DS,DH and me. Aren't these the weights/statues on CC??
Are you going to wear yours to the sail-away party? We'll probably be changed into dinner clothes by then but may wear them the day we board--Is that too corny? :confused3

I think alot of DISers are wearing the shirts for boarding. (You may be right-they do remind me of those statues on CC) They'll take your picture as soon as you board. When I change for dinner will depend on the time they assign me. If I get a 5:30 seating I'll want to be dressed early, but casual enough for deck party. If I get the 6:00, I may wait until after the sail-away party to dress :confused3

Laurie

Hobbitmomma
08-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Our cruise docs just arrived!!! :banana: :woohoo: :yay: I emailed hubby at work right away! The tags have the DCL logo on them and say what hotel you are going to. ( I was wondering how they would know.)

I have our whole "treasure hunt" plan done for the kids for the plane. (It's how they will find out where they are going.) I'm also debating getting DD(5) this adorable Ariel bathing suit from the Disney website. Everything is on clearance, but I just loathe paying nearly twice the cost of an item just to ship it.

Well, now I'm really counting down!! :hourglass