PDA

View Full Version : April 29th Sailing - Safety Question

cruiser2two
01-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Hello,

We are cruising for the first time with our 3 and 5 year old boys. On the April 29th Eastern sailing.

This might sound a bit crazy, but I am wondering how safe it is for children on the boat? I know it's disney and safety would be #1, but I have visions of my 3 year old son climbing over the boat rail and falling into the water. I know when he is with me I will watch him constantly. But if he is in the kids club and they are going to different places on the boat, how do I know he won't sneak away from the group and climb overboard? Can anyone reassure me? Also, what other safety features do they have on the boat? Eg. Are there childsafe locks on the verandah doors?

Thank you!

lbgraves
01-23-2006, 11:30 AM
OK first of all my DD3 on our first cruise was & still is a monkey. Can climb to the top of the fridge without using a chair. ;) She has gone on 3 cruises now...the last one with a verandah...and is still with us. :) Deck 9 has plexiglass from floor to ceiling so they wont go overboard there. When they move the kids clubs on the ship they use "secret" hallways that you can only access thru the clubs. Other times they use the CM's stairs to go up to Topsiders for dinner. They have the 3-4 yos eat lunch in the club now so there is less movement. The verandah door was difficult for me to get the hang of. You 3 yo shouldn't be able to reach the main lock.

mommasita
01-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I start with these thoughts and nightmares months before every cruise. Lisa is right, the children are extremely well cared for while roaming about the ship.... :goodvibes

dsjmeadors
01-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks for that GREAT reply, and to the OP for posting hte questions. I have these SAME fears. We sail on Thursday, and I also have a 5 and 3 year old. I actually had a nightmare about it last night.

Thanks for calming the fears.

goofymama
01-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Just so you know that you are not alone. i had the same fears when we sailed 2 years ago and my boys were 5 and 3. the railings on the ship are all very high and have plexiglass. The railings on Deck 9 (where the pools and casual restaurants and fast food service are) are plexiglass all the way to the ceiling.

The verandah doors do lock and the railings are high with plexiglass. Having said that, i still would not let my kids be on the verandah unsupervised.

Also, the kids don't move from space to space that frequently and in many instances, they have private hallways/stairways to use. When at lunch and dinner, the kids are seated in a roped off area and their food is preplated and served to them.

HTH! The Disney ships are very safe.

HooKooDooKu
01-23-2006, 04:54 PM
It's not easy for a child to go overboard on a Disney ship.

Now it's not impossible if that's a goal that someone has intentionally set off to do. But the only ways I can think it being even possible for a child to go overboard would be to either drag a piece of furniture to the railing or go into the mechanical areas at the front or aft of the ship on deck four.

While there's a railing that seperates the walking track from these mechanical areas, there have been a few parents to complain about the fact that there's a spot where only a rope prevents guest from accessing these mechanical areas. These mechanical areas are where mooring ropes are handled and therefore have more of an open access to the outside of the ship than the rest of the ship. But again, a child would have to intentionally get away fro supervision, go to these spots on the ship, and intinially gain access or climb railings, etc.

So the best thing I can think to say to reasure you is that DCL has sailed with about a half million kids. The only time I've ever heard of a kid going overboard was a teenager that jumped overboard on a dare while the ship was in port. BTW, I arrive at the 1/2 million figure from an average of 500 kids (I believe I once heard that was the typical number of kids on board per cruise) times 3 sailings per week (2 on Wonder, 1 on Magic) times 52 weeks in a year times about 6 years of operation.

ohiominnie
01-23-2006, 05:01 PM
BTW, I arrive at the 1/2 million figure from an average of 500 kids (I believe I once heard that was the typical number of kids on board per cruise) times 3 sailings per week (2 on Wonder, 1 on Magic) times 52 weeks in a year times about 6 years of operation.

Then your estimate is low. We always cruise off season and the figure is much higher. This last cruise (Jan 7th) there were 924 kids and that only counded the ones from 3 months old up to the 12 yr old group! It did not include 13-18 yr olds! ANother cruise I remember the figure being over 800!

But these figures make your statement more compelling...that means DCL does an even better job of keeping THAT MANY kids safe!

cruiser2two
01-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks so much for all your reassurance. I'm sure once I'm on the ship I will be much more relaxed!!

jewelgrrl
01-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Just wanted to welcome you to the April 29th cruise.

:welcome:

There's quite a few others going. Feel free to introduce yourself on the cruise meet board. There are also quite a few with kids and it's a super friendly board!
party:

April

partypat
01-23-2006, 07:05 PM
I 2nd Jewelfgrrl's welcome. I'm going on the April 29th Magic, also. Come on over to the "Cruise Meets" thread and get to know us.

It seems that everyone has girls between the ages of 3 and 10, so some boys added to the mix would be great.

PartyPat princess:

cruiser2two
01-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Thank you for the welcome!! I will definitely check out the cruise meets in the next few days!

momto3gr8boys
01-24-2006, 08:22 AM
I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I start with these thoughts and nightmares months before every cruise. Lisa is right, the children are extremely well cared for while roaming about the ship.... :goodvibes

i'll ditto this for the OP...no, you are not crazy (or maybe we both are :rotfl:!). after cruising with my then 2 and 4 year old, i relaxed...the ship is very safe. but of course now once again i'm having visions of my 5 year old climbing the rails lol. he's at least old enough that i can scare the life out of him by telling him what will happen if he climbs :-)

castlegazer
01-24-2006, 08:28 AM
man our group is getting good! Jewelgrl and PartyPat beet me to it - come on over and say hi! We are a great group of people you will be cruising with - the list just keeps getting bigger - and if you check in soon, you too can sport a fetching wrist band like the rest of us...

Come on over and see just how many 3-5 year olds there will be sailing - I'll give you a hint - A TON!!!!!!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=11282238#post11282238

clovely
01-24-2006, 09:16 AM
The railings on Deck 9 (where the pools and casual restaurants and fast food service are) are plexiglass all the way to the ceiling.

So a slightly off topic question - if you're surrounded by plexiglass, do they really need sunscreen in the pools on board? I'm not sure if that would block UV at all.

castlegazer
01-24-2006, 09:49 AM
It's not plexiglassed over the roof.

She just means it's walls of plexiglass in that area. The pools get A LOT of sun on cruise ships - kids need sunscreen.