PDA

View Full Version : Training Eating Accountability (TEA) Thread- Wk of January 22

plutosmyfav
01-22-2006, 12:18 PM
OK, This is an experiment.

The Training Eating Accountability (TEA) will be a place for anyone who wants to post something they'd like to hold themselves accountable for regarding eating for optimal weight and fitness levels. It will be a weekly thread if there is interest.

Make sure your goal is obtainable, don't set yourself up for failure!

My Accountability for this week will be: No more than 10 points past 7PM. I know that may sound crazy, I shouldn't be eating 10 points after 7PM! But since I have been eating 20-30 points after 7PM every night this will be a huge commitment! I hope to stay within my target points each day, but I'll start with curbing the night-time eating.

Sunny

MickeySP
01-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I LOVE this idea!!! If I write it down in public I HAVE to stick to it - right?!?!

My goal is no junk food. Keep to my rice cakes and veggies. I have been chomping on LIGHT chips - they aren't light if you the whole bag!!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Cool---I'll start with baby steps. Still working on a good calorie count that will still allow me to lose weight--but not starve...started in the 1200s--maybe try the 1400s and then using zig zagging to modulate the different days (weekly total the same). Anywho. Until I figure that out...

My goal is Protein > 25% and Fat content < 25% per each day. So far so good for the last week and a half.

sara
01-22-2006, 03:17 PM
OK, I'm game. My step is really baby...no laughing...*only* two diet cokes a day...the rest water. Believe it or not, that's going to be tough for me. d. coke runs through my veins! :rolleyes1 The eating will have to come later.

Sara

TiffJ
01-22-2006, 04:39 PM
This will be great! I am going back OP tomorrow. Full on training/eating healthy. Time to get my butt in gear. Only 15 weeks till the Minnie! I plan on being much lighter & faster by then.

So my goal is to just stay OP within my points range & drink water. If I can just do that I'll be much smaller by May.

Great idea Sunny. :wave:

chimera
01-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Sign me up!

The Gremlin challenge...no eating after 8pm.
The Potty all the Time challenge...more water, less diet Pepsi (max of 3 cans daily).
The Laura Branigan challenge...more self-control, less binging.

Gonna have to start tomorrow. I'm blaming football for today's lack of self-control! You have to eat lots of junk food while watching football, right? :teeth:

plutosmyfav
01-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Great start everyone!

Sara-- Baby steps are the best kind. Giant steps lead to giant falls!

Mel-- We'll forgive you for football!

Well its 8PM. I can only have 10 more points today :p (speaking of feeling silly for baby steps!!!!!)

Sunny

DisneyGirl
01-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks so much for starting this thread!! I sooooo need some accountability here!

Since I am doing WW, I want to do the most simple thing that I should be doing-- I just want to stay on my points!!! Beginning tomorrow (since I already messed up today!) I will eat only my alotted points + activity points (I really don't think I can function all day without activity points on running days!!)

crzy4pooh
01-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Thank you for doing this thread!!!

I know what I need to do - I lost 132 pounds on WW, but gained a good bit back over the last few months due to some health issues, excuses, etc. I don't know that I'm ready to journal everything, yet, so I will be doing core this week, but adding whole wheat bread to the list (I just don't get enough carbs for the exercise). I also need to go back to water - I got addicted to diet cherry/vanilla Dr. P, and now they are killing me with diet cherry/vanilla coke!!! :drinking1 So the plan is - core + allowance points and minimum 64 oz of water - and for every coke, I have to drink the same amount in water. (12 oz. of coke = 12 more oz. of water)

Ummm... do we get a day off for Super Bowl Sunday??? :rolleyes1

:teeth: Thanks again!

--Lynnda

sap1227
01-22-2006, 10:14 PM
I need this sooo much, thanks for starting it!

I too, seem to do really well until 4 or later, sooo I am going to make my goal no more than 12 points after 4pm.

Christy

Lisa loves Pooh
01-22-2006, 11:29 PM
For today---21% fat, 26% protein. :)

DavidandDenise
01-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Okay--I like this idea, too! Thanks for setting it up, Sunny! I'm just not sure what my goals should be right now, but I have been trying to follow the USDA food pyramid a little better (with the new recommendations). So, I think my goals will be to get my 2.5 servings of veggies each day and to drink 64 - 85 oz of water each day. I brought a bottled water to work today to help me--I've already had 16 oz. today!

So, how will this work? There will be a weekly thread, and we just post as we wish? Do we keep changing our goals as we wish? I'm looking forward to this accountability!

Chropistopy
01-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for starting this thread, Sunny!!

My goals for the week: Don't use more than 3 of my flex points each day (I've come to the conclusion that if I use all of my flex points for the week then I don't lose), drink the required amount of water each day.

I'm only 4.8 pounds from my WW goal. I'm determined to reach goal within the next couple of weeks. :cool1:

plutosmyfav
01-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Monday.

Well I blew it last night :confused3 :furious: I don't know why. I think it was because the week had been a total bust and it was the last day of that week for my WW schedule, so might as well blow it off... (that is the worst dieter's mentality). But today is a new day.

A trainer from my gym sent this out in email today. I thought it might be helfpul info:

Your metabolic rate works a lot like the engine of an automobile except that, unlike a car, your engine must work 24/7 to keep you alive. Some people have a Hemiģ under the hood, while others are more like hybrids. Athletes have a keen interest in their metabolic rate or resting energy expenditure because it can help them determine their energy needs and help them lose, maintain or even gain weight.

The nutrition world is full of advice for how to increase your metabolic rate Ė they tell you to exercise, lift weights, eat hot peppers, drink tea and even develop a nervous twitch. However, new research shows that your bodyís metabolism is largely determined by factors that you cannot changeólike the size of your liver, spleen, heart, lungs and brainóand that the many suggested ways to increase metabolic rate have little, if any, effect.

Below are some key points about the metabolic rate concept and the truth behind what really increases or decreases it from a research presentation given at a body composition meeting held by the Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists (SCAN) at the American Dietetic Associationís Annual Conference in St. Louis, MO, this past October.

What is your metabolic rate? Your metabolic rate is measured as either the basal metabolic rate (BMR) or resting metabolic rate (RMR). The BMR is usually measured in the morning after an overnight fast and lying down for 30 minutes whereas the RMR is often measured in the afternoon, several hours after eating. It generally provides a result that is 10-20% higher than the BMR. Both are values that describe how much energy your body needs to sustain itself.

The RMR, or BMR, represents about two-thirds of your total daily energy needs. Muscle movement (exercise, fidgeting, walking and daily activities) represents about 23 percent of the total energy expenditure in the average American, while the thermic effect of food (the energy used to turn food into usable energy and waste) represents another 10 percent. Only very active individuals can match or surpass their RMR with calories expended from their physical activities.

Do thinner people have higher metabolic rates? Nope. In fact, the opposite is true. One effective way to increase your metabolic rate is to actually gain weight. Thatís because both fat and muscle require energy to sustain themselves. And, for every pound you gain, one-quarter of it is generally lean tissue.

The same thing applies for when you lose weight Ė for every pound lost, one-quarter of it is lean tissue. Thatís why when you lose weight, for every pound lost, your body requires about 10 fewer calories. Lose 10 pounds and you now need to cut 100 calories from your diet (or burn an additional 100 calories through exercise) to maintain your weight. This is part of the reason why weight maintenance is so much more challenging than actually losing weight.

Doesnít aerobic exercise or resistance training accelerate your metabolic rate? If this were true, fit individuals would have higher metabolic rates than an unfit person of the same size and sex. Research shows this isnít the case. Even highly trained athletes often have RMR equal to their sedentary counterparts. While exercise is great for total energy expenditure, is good for your heart and cardiovascular system and has many other health benefits, increasing the metabolic rate is not one of the major benefits of exercise.

Does adding muscle mass increase your metabolic rate? Compared to fat tissue, muscle mass is more metabolically active. But in comparison to organs, your muscles are like a hybrid car while your organs are gas-guzzling V8s. Muscles burn about 13 calories per kilogram of bodyweight per day (kcal/kg/day), fat burns 4.5 kcal/kg/day, but organs burn 200 to 400 kcal/kg/day. In the end, your organs represent 60-70% of your metabolic rate and muscles represent 16-22%.

So the most muscle mass that you can realistically add in a year (4-5 pounds of muscle) would add just 28-50 kcals to your metabolic rate per day.

Should I have my metabolic rate measured? If you are trying to lose weight, itís probably not a bad idea to get your metabolic rate measured. In fact, many health clubs now offer on-site testing. At the very least, it will probably tell you that your weight woes are not due to a low metabolism. You can also estimate your BMR fairly accurately using the formula below:

Estimating your Metabolic Rate
To estimate your metabolic rate, follow these steps:

1. Convert your height to meters and weight to kilograms

Height to meters = inches x .0254

Weight in kilograms = pounds/ 2.2

2. Estimate your Basal Metabolic Rate

Men: BMR = 294 - (3.8 x age) + (456.4 x height) + (10.12 x weight)

Women: BMR = 247 - (2.67 x age) + (401 x height) + (8.6 x weight)

For example, Matt (31) is a 6'2" triathlete who weighs 198 pounds.
Matt's height: 74 inches x .0254 = 1.88 meters
Matt's weight: 198 pounds/ 2.2 = 90 kilograms
Matt's estimated BMR = 294 - (3.8 x 31 years) + 456.6 x 1.88 meters) +
(10.12 x 90 kilograms) = 1,943 kcals/day

In fact, Matt had his BMR tested and it was measured at 2000 kcals/day, very close to his calculated BMR.

Estimating your Total Caloric Expenditure
To estimate total caloric expenditure, you need to factor in the energy expenditure of your daily activity and exercise.

BMR x 1.5 = Weight maintenance for people who do little exercise
BMR x 1.7 = Weight maintenance for moderately active people (up to
1 hour per day of activity)
BMR x 1.9-2.5 = Weight maintenance for athletes

Matt, the triathlete, is very active, exercising for over two hours most days so his estimated total daily caloric expenditure is estimated as follows.

Matt's Total Caloric Expenditure Estimation =
1943 kcals/day x 1.9-2.5 = 3692 to 4858 kcal/day

But Matt is also trying to lose weight. If Matt bases his caloric intake on an activity factor of 1.7 to 1.9:

1943 kcals/day x 1.7-1.9 = 3303 to 3692 kcal/day

Applying this, he should be able to lose about one pound per week. The effects of this caloric intake would need to be monitored and adjusted according to his rate of weight loss per week.

For people with lower levels of activity, adjusting daily caloric intake below the estimated daily caloric expenditure should bring about weight loss. For example, for people who do little exercise:

BMR x 1.0 = Weight Loss of about 1 pound per week
BMR x 1.3 = Weight loss of about 1/2 pound per week

Again, the effects of this caloric intake should be monitored and adjusted according to the rate of weight loss per week. See this month's Ask the Nutritionist to help determine if or when you should seek individualized professional nutritional guidance.

Keep aiming at your targets! I like that concept because it helps reduce the "all or nothing" mindset that I fell prey to last night. Hitting the yellow or blue circle is alot closer to a bull's eye than throwing your bow and arrow on the ground!

Sunny

DisneyGirl
01-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Sunny-- thanks for sharing that info! It really makes a lot of sense-- I'm going to try and see how close I can get to my target, and see if it works!

keenercam
01-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi, everyone! Sunny -- Thank you for starting this thread.

Right now, all I can aim for is to stay within my WW points each week. I am doing this for the 100 day challenge that I started, but it is good to think of it as accountability for training purposes, too.

Chropistopy
01-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi guys! Wish me luck. I have an off-site meeting for work today. Lunch is going to be catered. It always scares me when I have no control over what I'm going to be served. I've committed to eating as healthy as possible. I stuck a 100 calorie pack in my purse as a way to get me through the afternoon if there are no good choices.

Good luck to everyone today!!

Bye! :wave2:

DisneyGirl
01-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi guys! Wish me luck. I have an off-site meeting for work today. Lunch is going to be catered. It always scares me when I have no control over what I'm going to be served. I've committed to eating as healthy as possible. I stuck a 100 calorie pack in my purse as a way to get me through the afternoon if there are no good choices.

Good luck to everyone today!!

Bye! :wave2:
Good luck Christy!! I always have a hard time with lunches catered at work (whether on or offsite!) They tend to be buffet-style, with one entree choice, which is generally something slathered in some kind of cream sauce, cheese, or both! So then I end up with the choice of eating and not being hungry, or starving all afternoon!

I didn't do so well yesterday- I did in the beginning of the day, and then my "I'm sick" excuse kicked in and I ate a bunch of sweets while watching TV at night. Now, I feel horrible today (I always feel awful the day after I go off my diet, yet I still do it!!!)

plutosmyfav
01-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Christy-- I hate those work lunches, too. Good luck!

Disneygirl-- that was my excuse, all last week! Hope you're feeling better today.

Well I made it through last night OP. Just 10 points after 7PM and I managed to stay within my points range for the day :cool1: . If I can manage this all week then next week I'll drop it down to 8.

Keep up the good work everyone, remember, we're watching you :p

Sunny

Minnie
01-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I have done SBD in the past with good results but then by winter I normally gain it all back. I have never tried WW but it looks like it is more flexible than SBD and may work better with my lifestyle. I have really been gaining my weight back since my injury stopped my running.

I have no time to go to meetings and I am not a very large person so they really make me feel out of place. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find info on this without going to meetings? I found a point calculator for how many points I should have but where do you find one for how many points certain foods are worth?????

Thanks for any advise!

::MinnieMo

DisneyGirl
01-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I have done SBD in the past with good results but then by winter I normally gain it all back. I have never tried WW but it looks like it is more flexible than SBD and may work better with my lifestyle. I have really been gaining my weight back since my injury stopped my running.

I have no time to go to meetings and I am not a very large person so they really make me feel out of place. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find info on this without going to meetings? I found a point calculator for how many points I should have but where do you find one for how many points certain foods are worth?????

Thanks for any advise!

::MinnieMo
It's actually pretty hard to find full lists of all the food points because WW keeps a pretty tight reign on their copyrighted material. A good site is www.dwlz.com-- there are a lot of points lists, including restaurants! You can also try the weightwatchers.com boards and do some searches, and you may be able to find something.

You may want to consider going to a single meeting just to get all of the materials (and then not going back)-- I think they have free registration now, so it should only cost like $12 or something like that. Alternatively, you can sign up for a month for the online program, and try to get the info that way! Good luck!!

sara
01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Just checking in...I made it yesterday! :banana: It wasn't as easy as I thought. After dinner I would have given anything for a diet coke. I was so sick of water. :crazy: I'm thinking today will be a little harder. But, I have you guys to help keep me on track!

Keep up the good work!!!

Sara

plutosmyfav
01-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Great job Sara!

Minnie, the formula for points is:

calories/50 + (fat grams)/12 - (fiber grams)/4 (but you can only subtract up to one point for fiber so 8 grams of fiber still only subtracts 1 point.

It may seem daunting to do the math, but it gets really second nature after a while. I think of it as each fiber gram as a quarter point off, every 3 grams of fat is a quarter point added and dividing calories by 50 is pretty easy. Most vegetables are free (zero points) so it really motivates you to make healthy choices. You can have a 100 calorie, zero fat, high fiber (4+ grams) thing for one point. But a 50 calorie serving of butter is 1 1/2 points!

Sunny

keenercam
01-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Leave it to Sunny to figure out the math! And then to explain it in such a fashion that even someone like me can understand! :teeth:

So, last night was an utter disaster. Once more, I look back and see that days on which I exercise a lot I tend to be voracious. Fortunately, I still had plenty of FPs to spare.

The one change I have made that should help me stay accountable, is that I moved my WI day to Wednesday. It gives my body a chance to recover from the usually salty binges of Sundays that keep my weight up a few days. And it forces me to be more careful over the weekend since I still have 2 days to get through on a week's allotment of points. I have been thinking of doing it a long time but didn't have a lot of faith in myself to get all the way through Tuesday on the week's allotment (I know, it is a mind game with me!). Hoping this will help me stay more accountable.

chimera
01-24-2006, 08:16 PM
I was 2 out of 3 yesterday and so far, 3 out of 3 today. Not eating after 8pm is the hardest :cake:

xterratri
01-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Fluids!!!! My goal after observing my fluid intake and high HR when forced to run at 0630 is to increase my fluid intake. Since it is probably going to take baby steps, my goal is to drink 48 oz of fluid a day independent of what I drink working out. I'm saying fluid but since I may have a soda every 3 weeks or so, it is really water I'm talking about. I drink the flavored water stuff and just plain water too.

I'm already a failure for today as the best I'm going to do is 32 oz. But there is always tomorrow.

plutosmyfav
01-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Welcome, Lynn

We'll make sure you drink up! :drinking1

Sunny

perfectmatch300
01-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Boy do I need to be here! Thanks, Sunny, for starting this! pluto: I couldn't even figure out at first what to be accountable for! That's how far off track I am.

I got an idea from reading everyone's posts - drink more water! That way I will drink less Diet Coke, and I will feel more full so hopefully that will help with food portion control. :smickey:

plutosmyfav
01-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Welcome, Nancy!

I think I did well last night. I ate more than 10 pts after 7PM but it was because I worked until 8PM without having dinner. But I stayed in control and didn't go over my points budget for the day. I'm calling it success ;)

You guys are inspiring me to chug the H2O! I have more trouble getting my water in during the winter.

Sunny

Need a laugh? I got this forward today:

http://livinglively.com/garfield.bmpWe all get heavier as we get older because there's a lot more information in our heads. So I'm not fat, I'm just really intelligent and my head couldn't hold any more so it started filling up the rest of me!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! !

Minnie
01-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Sunny - Thanks for both the WW info and Garfield. I needed a :rotfl2: this morning!!!!!

My wish buddy found an online ww calculator for me so I've started putting in the foods that I've been eating. It is really odd to not watch the sugar content in foods though as SBD is all about that and not portion control. I love that salad greens are 0 points but was suprised that my staple yogurt was 2 and my SBD frozen meals are worth 5/6 points :confused3

It looks like my points per day should be between 18-23 so I hope to stick to that range each day.

I'm a big diet soda drinker so I need to work on that too but one thing at a time!!!!!!

Hope everyone is doing great!!!!!!!!!

Chropistopy
01-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi guys!! Just a quick break in my hectic day of meetings...

I was able to survive my catered lunch at work yesterday!!! :cool1: I used 3 of my flex points....but that is still staying within my goal for the week.

I'm fortunate enough to have a friend that is a personal trainer. We went to the gym after work last night. She led me and another friend through a circuit training routine. It totally kicked my butt...but was an awesome workout. I'm striving to get at least 2 strength training days worked into my weekly schedule.

Interesting fact: Last year, about this time, I struggled to run one lap on the in-door track at the gym. Last night, I ran 16 laps without totally exhausting myself. :banana: Oh, what a difference a year makes!!

Well, back to the grind!! I hope everyone has a fabulous day!!

plutosmyfav
01-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Great, Minnie!

A word of caution. If you are training at a fairly high level you may need to tweak your target range. WW targets and their Activity Point allotments are geared towards "average' people, not athletes. Trust you body, if you feel too hungry, light-headed, etc., increase your target points.

Good luck!
Sunny

perfectmatch300
01-25-2006, 02:09 PM
:rotfl2: OMG, Sunny, that Garfield sure looks like me in the AM! I'm not an morning person, never have been, never will be as much as I wish I could! I'm also getting older, so does that mean all this extra weight I'm carrying is ---- WISDOM???!!! Well, OK, probably not! If it was wisdom, I sure wouldn't want to be getting rid of it!

As to my water goal, I, too, have a lot more trouble with that during the winter. That's why I'm starting off by targeting that. So far, so good for today. I had not been keeping ice water in the fridge since we moved in here in Sept, but it's there now. I have been drinking it, and so far no caffeine free diet Coke, only 1 Crystal Light. I'd been wondering about the flavvored water, that does count, right? If it does, I'll have to go get some.

Chropistopy, I would be so thrilled if I could improve as much as you have in the past year. Right now I can walk for a long way, but my pace is very slow. Running I could make 1 lap on a track but that would be about my limit. It gives me hope to hear that you have been able to improve that much. Of course, when I remember that when I started several years ago walking 1 lap very slowly around a track was huge for me I do have to realize that I have already come a long way. It's just that I still have so far to go.....but if I keep waddling (Penguin reference :teeth: ) on, I'll get there eventually.

sara
01-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Sunny, thanks for the laugh! Good job with your points!

Doing better with the water. It really does make me feel better. :sunny: All this talk about eating...maybe I should include that next week. I'll have to think about a specific goal.

Sara

Chropistopy
01-25-2006, 04:11 PM
:rotfl2: OMG, Sunny, that Garfield sure looks like me in the AM! I'm not an morning person, never have been, never will be as much as I wish I could! I'm also getting older, so does that mean all this extra weight I'm carrying is ---- WISDOM???!!! Well, OK, probably not! If it was wisdom, I sure wouldn't want to be getting rid of it!

As to my water goal, I, too, have a lot more trouble with that during the winter. That's why I'm starting off by targeting that. So far, so good for today. I had not been keeping ice water in the fridge since we moved in here in Sept, but it's there now. I have been drinking it, and so far no caffeine free diet Coke, only 1 Crystal Light. I'd been wondering about the flavvored water, that does count, right? If it does, I'll have to go get some.

Chropistopy, I would be so thrilled if I could improve as much as you have in the past year. Right now I can walk for a long way, but my pace is very slow. Running I could make 1 lap on a track but that would be about my limit. It gives me hope to hear that you have been able to improve that much. Of course, when I remember that when I started several years ago walking 1 lap very slowly around a track was huge for me I do have to realize that I have already come a long way. It's just that I still have so far to go.....but if I keep waddling (Penguin reference :teeth: ) on, I'll get there eventually.

Thanks, Perfectmatch!! You're so right. Just keep at it and you'll get there. I really had not thought about it before. It just struck me in the middle of the run last night how far that I've come. It's amazing when you have a point of reference.

Minnie
01-25-2006, 05:11 PM
OMG - Certain things are so high in points!!!!

Yesterday I was feeling crappy in the afternoon and needed something so I had a baggie of trail mix. Hang on to something..... I just figured the points on that sucker 19.5 :furious: and then this afternoon I didn't have lunch due to the Orthopedic apt so I had a bag of peanuts - 7pts :furious: again!

In SBD I didn't watch calories or portions just what I ate so this is a whole new ballgame for me.

Thanks for the support!!!!!

TiffJ
01-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Minnie- they have some chex mix bags that are 100 cal-2pts I think. They dont have much in them but they are pretty good.

I haven't done great this week, but I have done o.k. Been drinking lots of water & watching what I was eating. Next week I'm going to tackle actually writing down my points. However, between swimming & the steroids I'm on for the tendonitis, hunger is going to get me! :crazy:

DisneyGirl
01-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Ok, I'm doing better now-- helps that I'm not feeling so bloated as I was at the beginning of the week! I am also trying to cut back on caffeine (I am addicted to it-- I drink coffee all day long!!) So I brought some water with me to drink all day, and I'll be trying to fill those up, too!!

Hmm... I say that as I am sitting in a Starbuck's with a grande Yukon blend!

plutosmyfav
01-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Chropistopy-- congrats on the great progress!

Cam-- glad you had the fp to compensate. It seems to be really difficult to pull the appetite back to non-training levels, it doesn't seem to magically return by itself.

Lynn-- how are the fluids going?

TiifJ-- you're here and making progress, that's what counts!

Minnie-- Oh I remember when I first starting figuring out points on things and I got really mad! I recall getting really mad at the fact that a snicker's bar has 6 pts! It really is an eye opener. Nuts and dried fruits are really high in points. Great in small quantities, but you really have to measure them out.

Sara, Nancy, Mel-- great job with the water. Keep it going. Nancy, I sometimes substitue herbal tea for some of my water in the winter. Its hard to drink alot of cold stuff!

As for me, I'm learning my late night eating isn't easy to regulate. I didn't realize I had so many legitimate reasons to eat late. Last nights legitimate reason was that I had 12 pts left for the day after 7pm, then I went to the Y and earned 8 APs. I got home at 10:30pm with 20 points available to me. I was worried about going to bed with a huge deficit, that might spark a hungry horrors episode :rolleyes2 So I ate all my alloted points at 10:30PM :confused3 But I still don't consider it a failure on my goal since it wasn't overeating. Maybe next week I'll join the fluids gang instead!

Sunny

plutosmyfav
01-26-2006, 12:31 PM
A trainer from my gym sent this out today:

It has some helpful tips:

By Will Brink,
Author of Diet Supplements Revealed, and Muscle Building Nutrition

I have a Cheez-It problem. Youíre not listening, I really have a Cheez-It problem! I have never met a Cheez-It I didnít like.* Some people canít resist chocolate or ice cream, some people itís pizza or some other food or sweet. While I enjoy all of those foods on occasion, Cheez-Itís are the food equivalent of crack cocaine for me.

It takes all my willpower to pass up the isle where the Cheez-Itís reside on the shelves at my local grocery store. My ever-loving girl friend Kimberly rolls her eyes at me in sheer disgust when she sees how weak I am to the power of these little crackers, which draw me in like a cheese-flavored black hole. ďBut you have given advice on nutrition to millions of people Will, how could you - of all people - be so weak willed about some little cheese flavored cracker?Ē she says. I hang my head in shame and avoid eye contact with her for the rest of the day.

The point of this introduction is to point out we all have our weaknesses and we are all human - even me. I find Cheez-Itís to be cheese flavored morphine!

This small problem got me to thinking. If there is one thing I have learned after all these years of doing nutritional research, writing countless articles on the topic of nutrition, and working directly with people on their diets, itís this: itís rarely one single thing a person does that is sabotaging their efforts to lose fat and or gain muscle, but a bunch of little things that have an accumulated effect.

There are some amazingly simple behaviors and strategies we can all add to our nutritional goals and workout plans that will have a positive effect. Using my own addiction to Cheez-Its as the primary example, I am going to cover a few of these surprisingly simple yet effective strategies. A few issues to keep in mind:

(1) Taken alone, these simple tactics will have very little effect. Used alone without any other dietary changes and an exercise plan, these strategies wonít amount to much. However, as I mentioned, itís often many minor mistakes adding up to a lack of results for people, and taken in that context, these are some simple mistakes that can be avoided, hopefully resulting in an accumulated effect in a positive direction.

(2) I didnít invent any of these tips. They are some of the oldest and simplest tips you will ever read. I donít even know who first came up with them, and I bet most people have seen these strategies in other places, such as various diet books, articles, or web sites. I do however think that they may be so old and so simple that most people with the best of intentions about their nutrition and exercise plan, donít follow these simple concepts.

These tips are more about behavior changes and psychology then nutritional science, study results, or research. I have written many articles based on the later topics, but this is not one of those. If you are looking for more in-depth science oriented information about nutrition, supplements, and fat loss or gaining muscle, I suggest reading my ebooks on the topic and the many free articles on my web site.

Tip #1: never ever go food shopping hungry

This is one of the most effective strategies I know of to avoid unwanted junk and various snacks from finding their way into your shopping cart, which ends up in your home, which ends up on your butt!

Make sure to eat something before you go food shopping and you will be able to resist the junk that often finds its way into your cart. If I go food shopping without a good meal in my stomach, I often come home with a family sized box of Cheez-Itís and feel like sh*& for days after eating the entire box!

Human hunger and appetite are regulated by a phenomenally complicated set of overlapping feedback networks, involving a long list of hormones, psychological factors, and others way beyond the scope of this article. Suffice to say, we often make snap decisions and impulse purchases with certain foods due to one or more of these feedback loops being activated due to an empty stomach while we shop.

Translated, your ďwillpowerĒ to resist junk foods will be much greater if you eat something healthy at least 20-30 minutes before you go food shopping. You can either plan your meal schedule so that one meal is eaten before you go shopping, or have a snack (at least 20-30 minutes before shopping) which will have the desired effects.

A yogurt with some flax oil mixed in is a good choice, as is a half cup of cottage cheese and a handful of walnuts or some other nut. A protein shake or MRP will suffice, but solid food tends to be more satiating.

Tip # 2: never keep snack foods in the house

This tip is a logical extension of tip number one. If it does not make it into your cart at the food store, itís not in your house. However, many people use excuses like, ďI have snack foods for the kidsĒ or my spouse keeps a box of Oreo cookies in the kitchen cupboardĒ as reasons they canít avoid the snacks that sneak into their diets and sabotage their efforts.

Many of the foods we eat that we know we should not be eating are based on an impulse. Impulse control goes a long way here but no one will deny itís far harder to resist that impulse if your favorite junk food is under your nose. Thatís human nature. When I have an impulse for some Cheez-its, I wonít resist it well if itís only a few steps to the kitchen vs. having to get in the car to go get a box.

The former I canít resist, the latter I can. Remember an impulse is defined as ?a sudden desire, urge, inclination.? That means itís short lived and will go away given sufficient time, so itís a matter of not having foods in your house that allow you to act on the impulse while it lasts.

As for the excuse of the spouse, kids, etc. That is more an issue between your kids and or your spouse. Should the kids be eating that stuff anyway? No! I had a client tell me one day, I keep eating hot dogs - cause I keep them in the house for the kids.? I said ďso youíre Ok with feeding your kids foods you know to be unhealthy for you and them?Ē She stopped feeding her family hot dogs shortly after.

...Bottom line here is, those foods should be occasional treats for both kids and adults, not staple foods that can be found in your kitchen. Itís more an issue of teaching the kids good dietary habits young so they donít end up overweight unhealthy adults.

As for the spouse, I like to have some chips in the house, which I can resist without a problem. That is, unlike the Cheez-its, I can walk past the chips without having to eat them all. I can regulate myself with them. However, Kimberly canít. Chips are to her what Cheez-its are to me, so I make it a rule not to keep chips in the house.

Point being, your spouse needs to support your efforts by making some small sacrifices. If you were an alcoholic trying to avoid alcohol, you would (or at least should!) expect your significant other to not keep booze in the house. If they wont support your efforts here, then relationship counseling is in order or a long talk, and I canít help you there; sorry!

Tip # 3: eat off of smaller plates

The first two tips are common sense, this one is less so. However, I find it helps, albeit not to a great extent. Again, how much we eat is based on many variables. One of them is the visual cues we get looking at the food we are about to eat. We are extremely visually oriented creatures and part of deciding how large an object is must be compared to other objects, in this case, the food we put on the plate in comparison to the size of the plate we put the food on. Some of you may remember this little visual test from grade school.

Looking at these two horizontal lines below, which one is longer?

>---<

< --- >

Answer: both lines are identical in length. As you can see, the bottom "plate" looks longer then top "plate", yet they are the same length. Itís a visual illusion that shows how our brains are set up to interpret certain visual cues. It is my experience that people will put less food on their plate if they eat from smaller plates as a smaller plate full of food looks like much more to eat then a large plate with the same amount of food on it.

I know for myself I tend to put 2 slices of pizza on a small plate and three on a large plate! Now this is only one minor cue we have to self regulating how much food we eat, and other feedback loops (i.e., hormonal, psychological, etc.) can kick in and easily offset this strategy.

For example, you could simply come back for a second helping using the smaller plates. However, itís my hunch (and itís only a hunch as research is lacking here) that over the course of say a month, a person may end up taking in fewer total calories using this strategy as has been my (admittedly anecdotal) experience with both myself and the many people I have given advice to over the years.

Again, as already mentioned, taken alone, this strategy will probably have no effects on your efforts to lose fat if there is not a specific diet and exercise plan involved in the overall equation. It is however one simple small change that may improve compliancy to your efforts. It would be interesting to see a study on this, but whatever effects it may have, would be subtle and fairly small I suspect. Even so, over the course of a year say, it may help.

Tip #4: Know Thy Self

Lesson here is, we are all human and we all have our weaknesses. Trick is to know your weakness and develop strategies for coping with them. How well do you know yourself? That is, do you know what cues/triggers tend to set you off? Have you examined that issue for yourself? Itís essential to recognized the cues that sabotage your efforts. We all have them. Find yours and take steps to avoid them where possible.

For example, try making a list outlining the things you know tend to set you off and how you react to the, then add a column for how you could deal with it. For example you might write "talking to my crazy mother makes me anxious and I eat things I shouldnít immediately after the phone conversation" which would be followed by a suggestion of steps to change it, such as "always eat a meal right before talking to mom" and "only take calls from mom when I am ready and able to deal with her" and "go for a walk immediately after talking to mom to distress and give me time to get over impulse to eat junk" and so on.

Develop coping strategies to your known triggers. I know for example going food shopping on an empty stomach means I will most probably end up with a large box of Cheez-its in my house. I have also found if I go shopping irritated over something I will buy more foods I donít need as food is one of many ways we self medicate looking for some comfort. Hence the term ďcomfort foods,Ē which is commonly chocolate, ice cream, and so on.

Bottom line:

Learn what your hot buttons are that lead to a negative behavior

Learn to identify when itís happening

Develop strategies for coping with it.

How do you go about doing that? As entire books have been written on that topic, my advice will fall short here. That journey is also highly individual. For some it?s working with a therapist or behavioral specialist, for some it?s reading a few good self-help type books, and for some it?s activities such as meditation, joining support groups, and others. It?s also a life long journey.

Conclusion

The purpose of this article is not as much to supply tips for success in your fat loss endeavors but to actually remind people of what is stated in the intro to this article: most people fail in their fat loss/diet goals not due to a single mistake they are making (with exceptions) but many small events that have an accumulated effect that sabotages their efforts. If the tips in this article help, all the better.

Some people are amazed how many extra calories slip into their diet from snack foods that they are not accounting for, or the fact they tend to take the elevator when they could take the stairs, and so on. 99 out of 100 times the person that says, "I have tried everything and nothing works" actually translates into, "I have not stayed on any one plan long enough for it to have an effect and sabotaged it with small unaccounted for negative habits and behaviors." Now, if I can just get the funding for that adult Cheez-it rehab center I want to have built.

* Cheez-It's are a cheese flavored cracker made by Sunshine foods and can be found on the shelves of any major food store in the US.

About the Author - William D. Brink

Will Brink is a columnist, contributing consultant, and writer for various health/fitness, medical, and bodybuilding publications. His articles relating to nutrition, supplements, weight loss, exercise and medicine can be found in such publications as Lets Live, Muscle Media 2000, MuscleMag International, The Life Extension Magazine, Muscle n Fitness, Inside Karate, Exercise For Men Only, Body International, Power, Oxygen, Women's World and The Townsend Letter For Doctors. He is also the author of Priming The Anabolic Environment and Weight Loss Nutrients Revealed. He is the Consulting Sports Nutrition Editor and a monthly columnist for Physical magazine and an Editor at Large for Power magazine. Will graduated from Harvard University with a concentration in the natural sciences, and is a consultant to major supplement, dairy, and pharmaceutical companies.

msblrobs
01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Sunny - You rock!! Thanks so much for the article; it makes loads of sense. And thanks so much for starting this much needed thread.

I have been meaning to post what I need to hold myself accountable for. My biggest issue is overeating. I use my training as an excuse. I drink tons of water, eat very healthfully but I eat way too much.

Therefore, I will only eat when I am hungry. Truly hungry. More importantly, I will STOP once I am no longer hungry. My appetite can get voracious when I work out intensely. I am trying to keep the intensity down so I can keep my hunger under control.

plutosmyfav
01-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Therefore, I will only eat when I am hungry. Truly hungry. More importantly, I will STOP once I am no longer hungry. My appetite can get voracious when I work out intensely. I am trying to keep the intensity down so I can keep my hunger under control.

Excellent! For me, stopping when I am full is even harder than eating only when I'm hungry. There's scientific evidence now that some people don't get the proper "I've had enough" signal at the end of an adequate meal. That must be me! But I also know (from very little experience) that if I stop and wait 10-15 minutes the desire to keep shoveling it in does go away. But those first few minutes are killer!!!!!

gatorphipps
01-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Great, Minnie!

A word of caution. If you are training at a fairly high level you may need to tweak your target range. WW targets and their Activity Point allotments are geared towards "average' people, not athletes. Trust you body, if you feel too hungry, light-headed, etc., increase your target points.

Good luck!
Sunny
Hey everyone! I am lurking on here today! Sunny, thanks for reminding me of this...when I am training @ a high level, I tend to feel this way....eat more? COOL!
Goal is to stay OP and to use AP if I am hungry for them.....with out feeling guilty!
I do WW online and it works GREAT!
OH...I included this pic in my sig to inspire everyone! :rotfl:
Christa

perfectmatch300
01-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Christa :yay: :jumping2: :yay: That pic really made my day. You see, I was feeling a little guilty about the Mickey :mickeybar bar that jumped into my hands and made me eat it when we were at AK today! I do need to be accountable for the Mickey :mickeybar though. It was an impulse and I gave in. We are in WDW so much I can't use the excuse that I'm there on vacation either. I have now forgiven myself for the Mickey bar and moved on.

I did well at Boma, didn't make a pig of myself, stopped when I was full and made pretty healthy choices including fruit for dessert.

The bad thing - I have not done well today with water. I did so well yesterday and today I'm only on my second glass at 10:30 PM. I will try to get in one more before bed. I did have Minute Maid Light in the park, but Diet Sprite with dinner.

Lynne, I do drink herbal tea sometimes, too, but winter is not really a problem here. I'd be right there with you with the hot tea if I were in ME, but hey, this is FL here! Can herbal tea or something like Minute Maid Light count as water consumption? I have only been counting plain water.

Sunny, if you substitute "popcorn" for "Cheez-Its" that quote describes me perfectly. It amazes me to say this, but I crave popcorn even more than ---- CHOCOLATE! Gasp! I find all those tips to be very true for me. Thanks for the reminder.

OT - We rode Expedition Everest 4 times today! :bounce: Probably would have gone a few more times, but we had a non-rider in our group and did not want to make her wait for us any longer. Even she enjoyed the stand-by line with all the artifacts. As coasters go, it was not really scary, but very well themed.

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Good morning!

Well my 7pm eating rule is a bust. But that's ok. Here it is Friday, the 5th day of my WW week and I'm not over my points :cool1: I ate quite a bit late last night. My DB has been telling me to watch Lost. So at 9:30 PM last night I put in the first disk of the first series... There was some snacking... and I didn't get to bed until 1AM. That show is really addicting!

How's everyone doing?

Glad to see you de-lurked, Christa ;)

Sunny

donac
01-27-2006, 09:07 AM
I loved the reply about the Cheez-Its. I feel that way about chocolate and I have to give it up. I had an irregular heartbeat a couple of weeks ago and I read one of the causes is caffeine. What I drink has none but the chocolate I was eating had plenty so I gave it up and with some new medication and the fact that my echo came back negative (just the stress test next week) I was feeling pretty good until the bomb scare at school the other day in 30 degree weather left me chilled to the bones. When I got home I had a nice big mug of hot chocolate and within an hour the heartbeat was irregular..

I hate to give it up but I have too. :sad1: :sad2:

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Today's Food for Thought:

Written by Lisa Lillien from Hungry-Girl.com
last updated: July 2005

Can't drive past the drive-thru window without stopping for something sweet? Luckily, there are some diet-friendly choices. Here's what you need to know, so you can order wisely...

Good'n Fruity

Dessert doesn't have to consist of chocolate, cookies, ice cream or pastries. Fruit can be a great dessert choice. Luckily, lots of fast food chains are jumping on the fruit bandwagon. Here are some items you'll want to try:

McDonald's Apple Dippers - 100 cal., 1g fat, 22 carbs, 0g fiber, 0g protein (leave off the caramel, and the apples are just 35 calories!)
Wendy's Fruit Cup - 80 cal., 0g fat, 20 carbs, 2g fiber, 1g protein
McDonald's Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait w/out granola - 130 cal., 2g fat, 25 carbs, 0g fiber, 4g protein
KFC Motts Original Apple Sauce - 100 cal., 0g fat, 24 carbs, 1g fiber, 0g protein
Best Bet

Can't resist fast food sweets? If you've just gotta have a "desserty" dessert at the drive-thru, these are your best options...

McDonald's Reduced Fat Ice Cream Cone - 150 cal., 3.5g fat, 24 carbs, 0g fiber, 4g protein
Rubio's Mini Churro - 80 cal., 4g fat, 11 carbs, 0g fiber, 1g protein
Taco Bell Cinnamon Twists - 160 cal., 5g fat, 28 carbs, 0g fiber, 1g protein
KFC Lil' Buckets Strawberry Shortcake - 200 cal., 6g fat, 34 carbs, 0g fiber, 2g protein
Shake it Off...

Shakes are not beverages, friend! They're full-blown, super duper high calorie desserts. In fact, many fast food shakes contain more calories than an average dessert. For example, Jack in the Box's large size Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream Shake contains an insane 1450 calories, 65 grams of fat (43 of them saturated!),188 carbs and 160g of sugar. Gross!

Add-ons or Leave-offs?

Sometimes the way you order things can drastically change an item's nutritionals. Here are some popular fast food dessert add ons. Are they worth the calories? That's up to you...

McDonald's Sundaes: Skip the chopped nuts, and you'd save 45 cal. and 3.5g of fat.
Dairy Queen: Just how many calories does dipping your cone into DQ's chocolate shell cost you? 110 for a small cone, 160 for a medium, and 230 for a large. Hmmm...
Pizza Hut: Munching on cinnamon sticks? Wait! Don't dip them into that white icing. That itty, bitty 1/8 of a cup contains 190 calories. That's more calories than are in two of the sticks themselves!
Arby's Apple Turnover: Get the version with icing and you'll be taking in an extra 130 calories.
Tips from the Hungry Girl

If you absolutely MUST order that bad-for-you dessert, order the smallest size available--even the kiddie size if they have one.
Having a moment of weakness? Pop a mint in your mouth. It'll curb your cravings for sweets, so you'll be better able to resist those urges.
Plan ahead. If you've just gotta have that dessert, compensate by ordering a lighter entree (250 calories or less).
Keep portable sweets in your car, office, etc... Knowing you have a Chips Ahoy 100 Calorie Pack or a Deep Chocolate VitaTop within reach will keep you from ordering a higher cal drive-thru version.

Sunny

keenercam
01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Sunny -- these daily missives are so helpful! I was looking forward to sharing that I was totally within my daily points yesterday. I didn't use and FPs and didn't earn any APs for the first time in a while. I was so happy to be able to stay within my "budget" because I was losing faith in my abilility to do that. Thanks for this thread! It really helps me stay on track!

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Your welcome, Cam
It's really helping me, too. Last night I was toying with the idea of "splurging" and thought about my morning check-in here and decided not to do it.

Baby steps back on track... :woohoo:

Sunny

TiffJ
01-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Well when I had my fitness test done at the gym yesterday to set up my ST program they also weighed me & did body fat percentage. :eek:

Nothing I didn't already know but it has kicked my butt in gear. I am going to be MUCH lighter & healthier by the Minnie!!!!!!!! Now I am really going to have to be accountable.

jodistar
01-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

Sunny - thank you for starting this thread! :thumbsup2 I guess the thing that I really want to get better at is drinking water.....I just some, but never enough.

As I think of more things that I would like to get better at I will add more!

Jodi

perfectmatch300
01-28-2006, 07:42 PM
I had a great day yesterday with my water! Got in about 64 oz! :woohoo:

Also did well with food. We went out for lunch with friends from our bowling league and I was about to order a big burger with fries! Changed to a more healthy choice at the very last minute because I did not want to have to come here and be accountable for bad choices! Seems like this thread is working!

Today, not quite as good with the water, but way better than I was doing before I decided to become accountable. Only 24 oz so far, but I'm not done for the day yet!

Sunny, the "food for thought" posts are great! Thanks for posting them!

chimera
01-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Great articles Sunny!

Saturday is my day to NOT pay attention to what I eat at all. I try to limit the damage, but overall, it's the one day of the week that I don't stress over everything I eat/drink.

My new challenge assignment is to avoid looking at or sharing 'food porn' ;)
But if you haven't seen the thread, it's one of my favorites...folks post pictures of their Disney meals...absolutely mouth-watering.

pictures of Disney Dining Food... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=773269)

Otherwise, for this new week, same 3 challenges.

keenercam
01-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Well, here is what I posted on the 100-day challenge:

Well, I made it through yesterday, though not in a way that made me proud. I got home after 10+ hours at work feeling stressed and very grumpy and then ate too much all evening. And I didn't go to the gym, as I'd intended, so I had no APs. Thank God for FlexPoints! UGH! I used ELEVEN!!!!! And I still have 4 days to get through with only 18.5 FPs left. YUCK!
Hoping to get to the gym tonight on my way home. It wasn't open early enough today to go before coming in to work.
I am going to have to think of you guys a lot more to keep me motivated! Thank you for being here!

Obviously, it belongs here as well. There are so many things going through my head:
I am so stressed about work; stressed about the fact that my kids are essentially latch-key (even if they are 12 and 17) for too many hours every day; stressed about an inability to commit to help with DS's musical (he is one of the principals) because of uncertain work commitments; worry about DD's college application process (won't hear from her first-choice school until at least 3/15); just all sorts of stuff. I really, really need some time at the gym. It always makes me feel better. Interestingly, my food is very much under control when I am at work because I don't bring anything here that I can't eat. The problem is that when I get home, I eat everything I can find. It really is ridiculous.

My goal for today is to stay totally within my daily points. No FPs. If I go to the gym tonight, I will have a weight watchers ice cream sandwich using those APs. If not, I am going to spend my daily allowance only on fuel.

I do have to share a nice story. I was getting coffee at Dunkin Donuts this morning and decided to choose a donut. My plan was to immediately break it in half and throw half in the trash can outside the door. The counter person asked the person behind me what she wanted and she said I was there ahead of her. At that point I ordered my coffee, but was still pondering my donut choice. I thanked the woman for telling the counter person that I was ahead of her and said "geez, for a minute there I felt invisible" and she said "you might need to be a few inches taller" and I said "I mean, I have lost 60 pounds but I'm not THAT small." My new friend said, "That is wonderful! How did you do it? I lost 35 since October and have another 35 to lose" She said she'd been exercising but had a torn meniscus and refuses to stop exercising, nothing is going to keep her down now. I urged her to keep exercising but consciensciously to protect her knee. She congratulated me on my loss, I congratulated her and we went our separate ways with our coffee. I really felt as if God gave me a guardian angel this morning. Reminded me there is support all around me on my journey, if I just look up and around and open myself to it. :cloud9:

WOW, sorry so long!

plutosmyfav
01-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Come join us on the new weekly thread at:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=11345703#post11345703