PDA

View Full Version : Wk of Jan 22--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

Pages : [1] 2

chimera
01-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

TXBelle
01-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Yikes! 234 posts last week! We are a busy group!

I am finally getting over my cold. I actually had to stay home from work on Thursday because I was too sick to get out of bed.

Work is so busy right now. I am facing a difficult decision. I do not know whether I can commit the time to train for the MS150 bike ride. I really want to do it, but DH signed up three of the DDs for soccer, and they play games on Saturdays when I am supposed to be training with my bike team. So, not only do I not have time to train because of work, I would also be the worst Mom in the world for missing my DDs soccer games. I am sad because I really wanted to prove to myself that I could go the distance on my bike, but I really think the best decision for work and family is to back out of the ride.

Like others, I continue to struggle with my weight and eating things I shouldn't. I tried to go back on South Beach Phase I but only made it 5 days. Tonight I had pizza and sugar cookies. I look at the pictures from the 1/2 marathon, and I see an overweight person. I don't want to be that person anymore, but I don't have the will power to change. I don't want people to look at me and ask "Is she having another baby?" or from strangers "When is your baby due?" I thought that training for the 1/2 would help, but it didn't. I am hoping that bike riding and training for the full will help, but I am not seeing a change. I tried WW but don't have the time to track points and had no success without tracking.

Don't mean to be a downer. Guess I just have the post-marathon blues. :sad2:

chimera
01-21-2006, 09:29 PM
I finished off week 4 of MFM with 5 fabulous miles today! Pace was 10 sec per mile better than my 5 miler the week before the half...I did 13:50 today :cool1: .

Lynnda...Lynne had listed some tri websites in one of the post-marathon threads. I cant recall but I think one was something like beginnertriathlete.com. I looked at it, but I swim like a rock so I don't think tri's are in my future :blush:

Beth...wow...sounds like a full schedule! Be sure to let us know how you do. Glad to hear you're breathing better!

Heather...I was behind you most of the half...you didn't look overweight to me. But I think I know how you feel :grouphug: . I had 45 lbs to lose this time last year and thought all the training would do it. I did manage to lose 20, but was disappointed when I didn't just magically melt away the pounds. One of my goals for this season is to eat better during training...I think I tended to eat like crazy on the weekends and used my long runs to justify it all. And I feel a bit sad, too...I'd like to train up for the full with everyone who just did the half, but I don't think I can put that kind of time in with work and family.

Terri...I'm with you. I have a patient that's working on the 50 state thing...up to #35 so far. I have a list of to-do's for the future...Bolder Boulder, Mount Desert Island, Applefest, one of the RnR races...

Christa...let us know if that lottery thing comes through...I'll be sure to email you my birthday and wish list :smooth:

Liz...woohoo :banana: Welcome to the Garmin group!

Celeste...I have the Garmin with the HR monitor and don't use it. I haven't yet learned how to effectively train based on HR, but maybe something I try in the off-season. BTW...don't feel like you have to apologize for long posts around here :teeth:

Lily...your enthusiasm is contagious! I'm torn, just don't think I can put in the training time for the full. I'm kinda sad that so many who did the half this year are doing the full next year, but happy for them advancing their training. I'll sure have lots more people to cheer for in the full next year :cheer2: ...and I'll bring the WISH team sign next time so I'm more recognizable. Then y'all won't think I'm just some crazy chick yelling your names off your bibs :clown: .

Krista...I'm going to try training with the Clif Blocks for my next half. I felt AWFUL :sick: after WDW half and thinking maybe better nutritional support would help. After Sunny's GU experience, the blocks sound a lot safer to carry. I ordered from performancenutritionals.com...box of 12 packs for 17.99. Oh... :wizard: for the Steelers this weekend!

MelR...no wonder you think of parenting as cross-training. You guys always seem to have such a good time!

Nancy...glad to see your training's coming along. The Garmin was a huge help for me!

Tiff...looking forward to seeing you at Minnie! :banana:

Lisa...congrats on your new job!

Howard...congrats on your new job!

Minnie... :wizard: for healing!

Kelly...are you doing any of the Gasparilla races?

Susan...where are ya, dude? What's your 2006 race schedule looking like? And how 'bout those Panthers? :cheer2:

Sunny...I didn't get to see you much over the weekend, but cow wasn't one of the words that came to mind when you were cruising along on the full!

Maggie...on intervals, I do use set the Garmin for short runs and then follow the beeps. On long runs, I prefer to do the intervals myself. When the Garmin's set for intervals, it doesn't do the mile lap pacing and I like to see that on my long runs. My intervals are in 5 minute blocks so very easy to keep up with...I just run for 2 min on every multiple of 5.

Speaking of numbers...anyone else addicted to Sudoku? DD13 got a book for Xmas and now it's quite the rage at home and my office. Our Sunday paper has a particularly evil version that uses numbers and letters :scared1:

TEK224
01-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Celeste - how hilly is the SF event? Hills and I aren't exactly the best of friends :rolleyes2 .

Chimera - the Bolder Boulder is on my list, too. Want to improve the stamina before I hit that thin air, though.

Terri

Minnie
01-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I don't understand elevations very well and I'm trying to figure out the Saint Louis 1/2 marathon course. The following is a picture of the elevation changes. It shows 450 to 625. The following is a link to the picture describing it. Does this seem hilly :confused3
http://www.stlouismarathon.com/stl_marathon/event_details/course_info.asp

Thanks!

::MinnieMo

Minnie
01-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Sara - Thank you for checking on the St. Louis one for me! It is only 3 hours away so it would be easy to drive to it.

Lisa - You are such a wealth of information on my back/hip problems. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to try and help me! I really don't think the chiro did much for me as I actually feel worse not better. I'm going to stick with the PT and take her the info on that sacro weggy.

Tomorrow I'm going to the local Y and trying the water hang deal the PT suggested. I'm also going to give some easy swimming a try.

Judy - What type of horses do you have? I have two Quarter Horse mares (very spoiled by the way).

Garmin Questions - I would love to purchase one of these. Should I wait for the new ones to come out or go ahead and get the 201? The amazon deal looks great!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

xterratri
01-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Minnie- the short answer is yes, according to the elevation profile it does seem hilly. A range of 450-625 doesn't seem like much until you think just what it means to got straight up 100 ft. That doesn't seem like much if your doing something like mountain climbing where the vertical climb can be measured in 1000s of feet but I can assure you that you will feel those hills. That being said, it is something that can be trained for so don't necessarily let it scare you off but don't be surprised either by the hills. It really looks like 3 decent size hills and then kind of rolling for the rest of the race for the 1/2.

Lynnda- www.beginnertriathlete.com, www.triathletemag.com, www.insidetri.com. The first is internet only that I found out about from one of the Army tri club guys and the other 2 are the online sites for monthly magazines(Triathlete and Inside Triathlon). Another place that seems to have quite a bit of information is simply www.active.com. Go to individual sports and triathlon is listed along with many others. I tend to use active.com more for a quick and dirty race calender planning tool but I see the articles and such even if I don't actually read them. I found a really cool link/ad on the BT site(www.jamtrisuits.com)- it's a little company that makes women's triathlon race power/skin suits. It's their only product and they are definitely women only when you see the colors(but it includes a lime greenish one).

Heather- maybe you can work out a deal with the DH that signed the kids up for soccer that you can ride with your group every other week while he does transpo and support duties. You really don't need to ride long every week to(or run for that matter) to get the endurance base needed to finish the MS 150. Maybe you can talk your friends into switching which MS 150 ride you do and do the one in Oct from San Antonio to Corpus Christi. There's something to be said for riding to the beach. Basically, just don't get too down on yourself. You've accomplished lots of great things and will continue to do so.

Did 120 minutes on the bike trainer today spinning easy while watching Miss Congeniality 2 and then went outside and ran ~30 minutes. The run didn't feel bad at all- maybe there is something to the concept of not killing your legs on the bike and then trying to run on them :teeth: Unfortunately, races, at least shorter distance triathlons which in my plan this year are olympic distance races(1.5 K/40 K/10 K), are all about pushing from the get go but I have many weeks of training before I need to start putting higher intensity work in. Since my main focus this year, my AAA race by season planning, is an Ironman in September, most of this year will be endurance, endurance, followed by more endurance. My 'high intensity' training most of the time will come from the races I do and since many of those are half ironmans themselves...I'll be getting plenty of my favorite drug, LSD.

Just so I don't get reported to the state medical board- LSD=Long Slow Distance

gatorphipps
01-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Christa...let us know if that lottery thing comes through...I'll be sure to email you my birthday and wish list :smooth:
I am just :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:! I was not real clear on the lottery thing! There are so many people who sign up for NY Marathon that they randomly pick people to run. They call it the lottery. So even if I sign up, I may not get in. It is all chance. :confused3
You can still email me the b-day lists. If I win the real lottery...I'll hook all you guys up. :lmao:
Christa

DisneyGirl
01-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I also had a 5 mile walk/run today-- I did it on the treadmill since it is COLD :cold: here (ok, it's actually warm for January, but still too cold for me!!)-- I had a 14:01 mile pace, but I think this treadmill was way off and needs to be tuned becuase it seemed WAY faster than it usually is when I use the treadmill during the week-- about 2.5 miles in, though, I actually fell into pace, and by the end of the 5 miles, I was ready to keep going!! It was great!!

Heather-- I am having the same problem trying to eat right-- I really need to lose weight, but yet I still keep eating JUNK!!! Once I start on WW, I can stay for awhile, but one day out of sync, and I just stop every day!! I wish I can get to the reason why I can't just make a mistake and move on!!!

pixiedust: to everyone! (I'm not sure I've seen this smilie before, and I wanted to use it :-))

MelRhoads
01-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Heather - I'm sorry you feel so discouraged! I think when you look at your pictures from the 1/2, you should see an endurance athlete who accomplished something that most people wouldn't even consider doing!

Christa - I hope you get picked!!!!

My parents are in town, so phil and i went on a date last night to the Hobbs Wildlife Management Area (don't worry, this isn't going anywhere weird!). We met our friends, who also had a baby sitter and did a night navigation course and then a single track mt. bike ride in the dark. We got in at about 11:30 pm and i am tired today. Of course, true to form, I fell several times! I may try to go for a short run today and then a longer trail run on thursday.

By the way, I found a 50 mile trail run in april in Little Rock on some of my favorite trails (anyone game???) I probably couldn't finish it anyway, and I doubt I could make the time cutoffs, but I might try it anyway (just to see)

sara
01-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Mel, so many people are into Sudoku, but sadly I know nothing about it. Maybe, I should learn in my free time! :sunny:

Heather, hang in there! Hopefully, something will work out so you can still train for the bike ride. Is that 150 miles? :faint: Good for you.

Terri, Bolder Boulder, I don't even know what that is, but it doesn't sound easy.

Minnie, we live three hours from St. Louis, too. :) From what I hear, St. Louis is hilly. My friend ran the full a few times. BQ'd once, (but he runs...fast) and dropped out another. :blush:

Lynn, you definately have endurance!!! Your race schedule wears me out just looking at it. Keep up the excellent work!!! :cheer2:

Christa, I've been thinking about entering the NYC lotto, too. It will probably take three years for me to get in. Will I still be running marathons? ;)

Disney Girl, congrats on your run/walk! :woohoo:

As for me, I seem to be having classic over-training symptoms. Did 18 on Friday...shuffled my way to the end. I was so tired, but couldn't sleep well Friday night. :sad2: It's been a long time since I've done high mileage. And to think, I have a 20 miler this week. Help!!!! :crazy:

I did a little research on the new Garmin's. Is anyone planning on getting one? I can't wait to hear about the new vs old. :smooth:

Keep up the good work with training.

Sara

plutosmyfav
01-22-2006, 12:12 PM
My family and friends officially think I lost my mind. I keep telling them, "Life's an Adventure". And I think I convinced 2 of them to do the WDW 1/2 in 2007.

Yours, too? :rotfl2: Actually, though, I think we are all "mini-John Binghams" in our own cirlces, encouraging people to get fit and showing them anyone can do it!

Mel- I'm a total puzzle addict. Sudoko is a huge rage where I work, we can't get enough. DS got Blokus for Christmas and we play it every night. I love seeing him learn strategy. I'm also addicted to Traffic Jam (the grid game you have to move your cars on). That was supposed to be for DS but I take it away from him all the time!

Sara-- I've been having lots of trouble sleeping. Is that a sign of over training? I fall asleep ok, but many nights I wake up around 3 or 4AM and can't go back to sleep. I know I need more than 4 hours sleep per night!

Heather and others on weight: How about an "Accountability Thread?". I'll start one and if you're interested, join in.

I'm getting ready to take DS to the track, or the "Circle of Wonder" as he calls it. Its so gorgeous out again today. I really wish we could have had this weather in December for that 22miler!

Sunny

Chropistopy
01-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Happy Sunday!!! These posts sure add up quicking. I'm sorry I don't get to check in very often. :wizard: to everyone on their various forms of training. I love to read about all the WISHers doing Tri's. I'd love to be able to do one at some point in my life...but the swimming portion may be a threat to my life. I'm not very skilled at swimming.

Sunny: I'd love to be a part of a WW accountability thread. I'm only 4.8 pounds away from my WW goal, but I've been playing with those last few pounds for a couple of months now. I'm planning on losing more after reaching my WW goal, but I'd love some motivation to get to that first goal.

I had an ok run yesterday. It was really humid here. I had a hard time breathing. I'm still trying to work up to running a 5K by April. Hopefully, I'll be well past that distance in my training by that time.

Congrats to Lisa and Howard on the new jobs! :cheer2: I will hopefully be checking in soon to let everyone know that I have a new job. I'm still waiting to hear about how my interview went. The woman hiring for the position is still in her first round of interviews.

I have a really busy work week coming up. I'll try to check back in soon. I hope everyone has a great week!!

MickeySP
01-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Trying to keep up here is almost impossible!!

I am trying to get back into the swing too. I just seem to have so slacked since getting back home.

Great motivator I signed up for the a 1/2 here in Boston in March - Race to Remember which used to be Charbo's Run. The guys at worked kinda pushed me into it so I guess I gotta try and improve my time.

I would love to get it under 3 hrs this time, fiure that is realistic now I am know some of the mistakes I made in WDW.

I would love to get close to 2:30 for the DL 1/2, not sure if that is realistic though. I did a 15:03 pace average in WDW, the last mile was at a 17:00 - really bad.

GOOD NEWS though - my son is gonna do the DL with me!! I am so excited her wanted to plus Mom & son trip for my Birthday - RACE DAY 9/17!!

msblrobs
01-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Heather - Please don't get down on yourself!! You've just completed an awesome feat and will only continue to improve. I definitely did not see an overweight person at WDW when we met.

MelR - Mtn biking in the dark sounds like lots of fun!! Glad to hear you & Phil got out for a date.

Sunny - I'm definitely up for an eating accountability thread. I also would like to lose some lbs to improve performance.

I'm also trying to get over my nagging cold. I did go outside for a nice easy run today. It is beautiful, relatively speaking, in NY today. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to get outside.

I may have to buy a Garmin tomorrowas a Happy Birthday to me present!!

Happy training to all this week:banana:

magslite
01-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who answered my questions about intervals. I would really like to get a Garmin. I too am wondering about the 201 versus the new upgraded ones coming out.

Advice from you who have already been there:
I am currently training for my first 5k and would really like to run the whole distance. However, my knees have been aching. Is that just part of being a beginner runner?

Also, does it make sense to train to run the whole 5k (Hal Higdon's plan) and then start a run/walk program when training for the Chicago long distance classic and Disney half. I am pretty sure I will want to start with intervals when training for distance.

Run/walkers: Do you all use the MFM training guide? Do you all run 4min/walk 1min? Do any of you run longer intervals?

Will the Garmin keep track of the distance/pace if I have it set for intervals? I think it was Chimera who mentioned it doesn't do the mile lap pacing when set for intervals and I am not quite sure what that means. :confused3

Thanks for being such a great source to us beginners. I definitely would that many of you are "mini-John Binghams" :cool1:

Have a great day!
Maggie

Lisa loves Pooh
01-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Someone was talking about the Midnight Sun run in anchorage. Note that for the full marathon--it is all off road on trails for the 2nd half. That might be why Sunny's friend had bad knee problems. Very tough--cannot really be walked.

Lisa loves Pooh
01-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Terri- have you looked at the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco? It looks really cool and what a great city! I'm glad that you are entering more and more races- it gives me hope.

And you get a beautiful Tiffany necklace :)

Lisa loves Pooh
01-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Oopsy--posted on the old thread:

Okay, question time. I don't like sports drinks and I didn't train with it in the half. I used power bars and water and I was completely fine, I didn't have any problems with hydration or electrolyte levels. I plan on doing the full in January, so my question is: can I continue to use the power bar and water only mixture for fuel or do I need to suck it up and learn to drink Power Aid? I know I have 11 months to figure all of this out, but it may take me 11 months to teach myself to drink Power Aid!

Krista

Not sure except to advise that at minimum..per our coaches recommendation--run with one of those salt packets (like at McD's)--be sure to keep it DRY. Take it at about mile 18-20. This will help your salt stores. Obviously drink water with it.

I didn't like ADE drinks either--but I did learn to consume them. They ended up being very welcoming once you are hitting high distances.

I also didn't want to do any sugarry supplements either (and I hate eating during my run unless it is an orange--so bars won't work.). I learned to eat Gu.

Do what you can and if you simply cannot tolerate it--drink lots of water and maybe take 2 hits of salt during your run (1/3 and 2/3's through roughly).

Lisa loves Pooh
01-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who answered my questions about intervals. I would really like to get a Garmin. I too am wondering about the 201 versus the new upgraded ones coming out.

Advice from you who have already been there:
I am currently training for my first 5k and would really like to run the whole distance. However, my knees have been aching. Is that just part of being a beginner runner?

No aching knees are not normal---it is a sign of either a preexisting condition or taking on too much too soon too fast. Get thee to Barnes and Noble and buy MFM and you can read how John Bingham used to follow this philosophy of wearing his aches and pains like a badge of honor. Yes--when they are supposed to happen they are a badge...when you are starting out---not so much a badge.

Your achy knees may not want to run as fast--may benefit from walk breaks....a whole host of things. I am not sure of what you are doing right now in terms of exercise....so if you wish to post that to see if we can help you, that would be great.

RICE= Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation if it feels like an injury is coming.

Take off 3 days and see if the condition improves---then try exercising again at a slower pace and for a shorter session. If it still hurts--take another 3 days off and try again...and if it still hurts, time to see a doctor to see what the "source" of pain is (b/c the "cause" will be running and some doctors will just tell you to stop).

Some runners benefit from different gagdets that help keep things in place so that they don't grind while running. But if you find yourself relying on such gadgets--an actual diagnosis is good just to be sure that what you are doing will facilitate the running instead of just slowing down the onset of injury.

Good luck!

TEK224
01-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Sara - Bolder Boulder is a 10K race in Boulder Colorado. Billed as one of the world's largest races. last year they had over 42,000 FINISHERS. It's held on Memorial Day. I've heard it's a really fun race and there are a lot of activities going on (for the race and Memorial Day). One of these years I'll check it out.

Terri

Stitch_lover_Sith
01-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I am sorry for not posting for a while but they have been working me alot. Plus ya know i had to play some too, Expedition Everest anyone. So I am working at the Magic Kingdom in Fantasy land, Winnie the pooh, Tea cups, and Snow White's Scary Adventure. It is much more fun than i thought it would be. I have not really had the time or energy to train much but i have put in a lot of walking time. I am planning on signing mom and i up for the disney land half marathon. Well i have to to.

WDWFAN9
01-22-2006, 02:37 PM
I have a very nice pair of New Balance shoes with 350 TM miles and maybe 40 "outside" miles on them. They look brand new. I seem to remember a post quite awhile back that said you should replace your shoes after 350 miles. Am I remembering correctly??

sara
01-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Sunny, having trouble sleeping is a sign of over training. The body has a hard time settling down. Sleep is important. ;) I've been in a cycle like you've explained before. It's frustrating. Maybe your body is still on WDW marathon time. It wants to get up and run at 4am. :rotfl: Seriously, try something relaxing (like a hot bath) before bed, see if that helps.

Terri, thanks for the info on the 10K. Sounds fun.

The other Sara! :bday: Hope you have a good one!

magslite, have you been fitted for good running shoes? That may help with your knees, too. :confused3 Good luck.

Ran 5 miles...off to eat bon-bons. :thumbsup2 Oh dang, I guess I better sign up on the accountablility thread. :rolleyes1

Sara

plutosmyfav
01-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Great motivator I signed up for the a 1/2 here in Boston in March - Race to Remember

Cool! Lynn and I are running it too!

Sunny

WDWFAN9
01-22-2006, 03:25 PM
I am sorry for not posting for a while but they have been working me alot. Plus ya know i had to play some too, Expedition Everest anyone. So I am working at the Magic Kingdom in Fantasy land, Winnie the pooh, Tea cups, and Snow White's Scary Adventure. It is much more fun than i thought it would be. I have not really had the time or energy to train much but i have put in a lot of walking time. I am planning on signing mom and i up for the disney land half marathon. Well i have to to.

:wave2: Glad to hear you are having fun in the happiest place on earth.

My DH and I will be walking in DL, that cool castle medal was just too hard to resist. It sounds like there will be a good number of WISHers heading west in Sept. DH and I are staying at the Candy Cane Inn (ya just gotta love a place named the Candy Cane!!).

Wish I lived in Fl
01-22-2006, 03:40 PM
And you get a beautiful Tiffany necklace :)

Any pictures? I went to the photo site and was looking randomly but couldn't find a picture of the medal.

Stitch lover sith- glad to hear it is going well. Was wondering how it would be for you on the other side.

TiffJ
01-22-2006, 04:54 PM
MickeySP-that's cool you are doing it with your son. My mom is doing it with me, she did the WDW 1/2 with me too but this time we aren't bringing the rest of the family.

We will also be at the Candy Cane- WISHers are going to take over Anaheim!

Erin-glad you are having fun working there. Wish I had known about the college program when I was in college.

Sunny-I have those sleeping problems ALOT!!! For me, I dont think its overtraining because I have had problems with it before. I get up at 4 a.m. & by 5 p.m. am wiped out. Mine is the same thing though, I go to sleep no problem but wake up & stay up way too early.

Went swimming today. Boy is that hard work.

aladdinsgirl
01-22-2006, 06:33 PM
I'll be back to talk for real, but now I'm just going to say:

Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!!!!!!! Pittsburgh's Going to the SUPER BOWL!!!!!

Minnie
01-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi everyone,

I went swimming today for the first time in months (last time was for fun at the WL pool is WDW :thumbsup2 ). I have forgotten just how much swimming actual laps not just playing around takes out of you. I'm wiped out but atleast I got some exercise in :banana: I am definitely feeling it in my hip and back though. Maybe too much too fast :confused3

Lisa - I tried the hanging in the deep in by the noodle. I didn't really feel any sort of traction from it though so I'm not sure if this really works :confused3

I really like the idea of the accountability thread. I'm not a large person but I have gained quite a bit since my injury stopped my training. Great idea!

I really hope to get some sort of routine going this week. I have PT again tomorrow night and hope for some :stir: from that.

Hope everyone is doing well.

TammyNC
01-22-2006, 07:41 PM
WOW, I love having so many posts to read. Everyone is staying so motivated.

I like the idea of the accountability thread, I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

I didn't exercise over the weekend but will be back to it tomorrow. I may have to use the elliptical tomorrow if it is still raining. My treadmill belt has a tear in it and I am afraid to use it. I need to check into having it replaced soon.

DH has been walking with me and I think he is interested in doing the 1/2 with me next year. I was really leaning towards doing the full but he isn't interested in doing that. I am a little nervous in thinking about the Goofy for next year. I did complete the 1/2 almost 16 minutes faster this year so maybe with lots of good training I would be in shape to do both. I definitely won't be making that decision within the next few weeks.

Stitch lover-Glad to hear you are enjoying your job. Will you still be around there in March? We are coming down for a week and will have to stop by to say hello. I really enjoyed walking with you some during the 1/2.

Need to go, the Panthers are playing.

plutosmyfav
01-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Dx went shopping for running shoes today. I'm luring him in :rotfl2:

MelRhoads
01-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Sunny - Just make sure the IC goes easy on Dx :rotfl: :rotfl:

crzy4pooh
01-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Lynne and Mel - Thanks so much for the websites! I can't wait to get reading! (Have to wait for DS and DH to go to bed... :surfweb: ) I'll also ckeck out those tri suits. My friend who is doing the tri with me said she looked at the Danskin site and they had their tri suits on sale for $60. Anyone know anything about these?

And Mel - we are both totally addicted to Sudoku - have to do one before I turn in each night! ;)

Christa - Good luck with the lottery!!! pixiedust:

Sunny - Thanks so much for starting the accountability thread - I definitely need it!!! :thanks:

Erin - It sounds like you are having a great time!!! We'll be there on Saturday for Everest, then probably to MK after dinner to play and see Wishes. Let me know if you are working - we'd love to stop by and say "Hi!" :thumbsup2

It's so exciting and motivating to read everyone's progress and goals. You all are awesome!!!! :woohoo:

Today was an hour swimming. My legs were cramping some towards the end, so tomorrow may need to be a rest day, although I had planned on a short run. We'll see how I feel in the morning - don't want to overdo! Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!!! :cheer2:

--Lynnda pooh:

icunurse_celeste
01-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Celeste - how hilly is the SF event? Hills and I aren't exactly the best of friends :rolleyes2 .

Terri

Okay, I have done some research. This race sounds interesting- Something from Tiffany, who wouldn't be interested. It appears that last year they made the course flatter- and there is the promise of "no cable car hills". I am familiar with most of the course and I don't remember it being hilly as most of it is by the bay.

I am really suprised that I cannot find any photos of the necklace provided by Tiffany. :guilty: I have yahoo'ed and googled and STILL can't find anything. Darn it.

I'm looking forward to Garmin reports....I too would like to know people's opinions of the new vs the current models. :)

I was going to run outside on Saturday, but we got 5 inches of snow Friday night. I'm glad I am the proud owner of a treadmill.

C

icunurse_celeste
01-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Dx went shopping for running shoes today. I'm luring him in :rotfl2:

I'm glad to see that someone has a good relationship with their DX. Good for you! It's nice you can do events like that together.

(I am my husband's 2nd wife and I can't believe those two ever claimed to love each other- yikes!)

chimera
01-22-2006, 10:42 PM
yes, twas me that mentioned the intervals on the garmin. I'm not a fan of reading the manual, so I haven't checked on whether there's a way around it. But when I use the interval setting, it counts each interval as a lap, so I don't get my regular mile lap times. I don't know my overall pace til I get back...not a big deal on short runs, but I like to know my pace each mile on the long runs so I can tell if I'm too slow (or rare occasions...pushing too fast).

Lynnda...we're coming up for Everest on Sat!

Erin...ditto the question...are you working on Sat? Lenna loves the tea cups :love:

Pat...I've heard 300 miles for shoes before turning in. My purple ASICS are right at 200. BTW...absolutely love your medal photo...what a fabulous idea!

Sunny...we have Traffic Jam...and my mom brought Blokus when they came up during Hurricane Wilma. I was hoping she'd get it for DD13 for Xmas, but looks like we'll have to buy it ourselves :)

The Sudoku in our Sunday paper is evil! It's a 4x4 grid with numbers 0 to 9 and letters A to F. It makes me crazy :furious: . I can't do it all in one sitting...usually have to come back to it a few times throughout the day!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Any pictures? I went to the photo site and was looking randomly but couldn't find a picture of the medal.

Stitch lover sith- glad to hear it is going well. Was wondering how it would be for you on the other side.

I have seen the inaural and last years necklace.

I'm not sure the metal--so just for visual clarity...

looks like white gold --and last year it had a small charm that said 26.2 (it might have also said 13.1 so that it covered both the full and have with one necklace).

Our central florida chapter of TNT participates in that event (it is an official fundraiser in and of itself the Nike Marathon.)

It is very simple--and hey--it comes from TIFFANY. :woohoo:

One year I would like to do that event--but dey's got lots of elevation going on!!!

It is also a very pampering event from what I understand. You will never view any other sports expo the same agian.

Lisa loves Pooh
01-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Lisa - I tried the hanging in the deep in by the noodle. I didn't really feel any sort of traction from it though so I'm not sure if this really works :confused3

Maybe like the sacro-wedgy--it takes a while at first and then their is a cumulative effect :confused3 .

Bummer!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-22-2006, 11:24 PM
I am really suprised that I cannot find any photos of the necklace provided by Tiffany. :guilty: I have yahoo'ed and googled and STILL can't find anything. Darn it.

I think they custom design it each year--and to be all that quite honest--you think it'll be something big--but it isn't that really, so that may be why it isn't posted. :confused3

However--it's big enough that I want one! larger than a speck of dirt and it is from Tiffany & Co.---I'm all over it dahling!!!! :banana:

I e-mailed my staff person to see if she would e-mail past participants for me to see if someone had a pic--though it is a long shot.

icunurse_celeste
01-22-2006, 11:30 PM
I think they custom design it each year--and to be all that quite honest--you think it'll be something big--but it isn't that really, so that may be why it isn't posted. :confused3

However--it's big enough that I want one! larger than a speck of dirt and it is from Tiffany & Co.---I'm all over it dahling!!!! :banana:

I e-mailed my staff person to see if she would e-mail past participants for me to see if someone had a pic--though it is a long shot.

I too would like one- but will have to wait until next year as I secretly registered for the Chicago Marathon....SHH don't tell hubby.

Yes, I am still doing the Chicago Distance Classic.

I must be a little crazy. :lmao:

crzy4pooh
01-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Lynnda...we're coming up for Everest on Sat!

Yea!!! We are supposed to get to AK around 11:30, and will head right to EE. My parents are keeping the little one so we can have a date - Woo-Hooooo!!! :cloud9: We'll probably head to dinner around 4:15-ish (O'Hana's... so much for eating accountability... :rolleyes1 ). Do you know your time frame for Saturday? It would great to see you! :teeth:

magslite
01-23-2006, 07:49 AM
I too would like one- but will have to wait until next year as I secretly registered for the Chicago Marathon....SHH don't tell hubby.

I must be a little crazy. :lmao:

Way to go Celeste! :banana:

If you are interested in any of the local 5k or 10k this summer let me know.

How about that snow! My kids were thrilled. They made a snow family of three! :)

Maggie

magslite
01-23-2006, 07:58 AM
No aching knees are not normal---it is a sign of either a preexisting condition or taking on too much too soon too fast. Get thee to Barnes and Noble and buy MFM and you can read how John Bingham used to follow this philosophy of wearing his aches and pains like a badge of honor. Yes--when they are supposed to happen they are a badge...when you are starting out---not so much a badge.

Your achy knees may not want to run as fast--may benefit from walk breaks....a whole host of things. I am not sure of what you are doing right now in terms of exercise....so if you wish to post that to see if we can help you, that would be great.

Good luck!

Lisa-
I am reading MFM. I probably do need to slow down a little. I have been following the Hal Higdon 5k, but it is just running without specified walking intervals. I just pulled up John Binghams 5k run/walk that I found online. I will start with that this week. My knees are less achy today. I will let you know how things feel this week.

Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate your help.
Maggie

magslite
01-23-2006, 08:02 AM
magslite, have you been fitted for good running shoes? That may help with your knees, too. :confused3 Good luck.

Ran 5 miles...off to eat bon-bons. :thumbsup2 Oh dang, I guess I better sign up on the accountablility thread. :rolleyes1

Sara

I was fitted for a pair from the New Balance store. Maybe time for another pair? Since I haven't been consistently exercising I am not sure how many miles are on them. They are less than a year old though.

Maggie

TammyNC
01-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the reminder on keeping track of the miles on our shoes. I need to do better on keeping track of that.

DisneyGirl
01-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reminder on keeping track of the miles on our shoes. I need to do better on keeping track of that.

I'm horrible at doing this too!! I track my runs on coolrunning.com, but that doesn't count in all of the cross-training I do on the same shoes!! I suppose I should have different shoes, but I don't...

TammyNC
01-23-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm horrible at doing this too!! I track my runs on coolrunning.com, but that doesn't count in all of the cross-training I do on the same shoes!! I suppose I should have different shoes, but I don't...
Thanks for the tip on coolrunning. I'll have to set up myself and DH.

princessmomma
01-23-2006, 08:39 AM
I secretly registered for the Chicago Marathon....SHH don't tell hubby.

Hey Celeste,

I am thinking about doing Chicago as well! Either that or Marine Corps. Oh, has this marathon bug bit me hard!

Is anyone else interested in doing Chicago Marathon (10/22) (flat and fast)? We could try and get together a group for this race too!

Colleen

aladdinsgirl
01-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Good morning everyone!! I am on quite the high today (even if I had to clean up dog diarrhea at 4:00 in the morning and then sat in traffic for an hour on my way to work :furious: ) Needless to say, I am going to bed early tonight!! :) I had a great 3 mile run on Saturday, I'm changing up my run/walk pattern, right now I'm at 5/1 and I'd like to be up to 6/1 or 7/1 by my half marathon in April. My ultimate goal is to run the full--we'll see!! I downloaded a bunch of really awesome songs on my mp3 player this weekend, that really made my look forward to my run. One song I have I think should be a must-have on every's mp3 player or ipod (I'm surprised I didn't think of it when I was training for the Disney half),"One Moment in Time" by Whitney Houston. Listen to the words and try not to cry over your accomplishments:

Give me one moment in time
When I'm more than I thought I could be
When all of my dreams are a heartbeat away
And the answers are all up to me
Give me one moment in time
When I'm racing with destiny
Then in that one moment of time
I will feel
I will feel eternity

MelR, Mel, Lisa, Cam,and everyone who helped me with the great ADE debate--Thanks!! I guess I'll just suck it up (or I guess suck it down) and learn to love it, or at least tolerate it. :teeth: I noticed after the half that I was a bit cloudy-headed ( I don't know any other way to describe it), I didn't feel bad or sick and I wasn't in a daze or anything. The only way I can think of to describe it is that I was on a delay. For the first 10-15 minutes after I was done, when Stephen would ask me something (like are you cold? are you hungry? do you hurt?) it would take a few extra seconds to process what he was asking. I guess that had something to do with the electrolyte levels. My other question, like I said earlier, I eat Power Bars when I run, usually a half every 30-40 minutes. Do you guys recommend bars or shots? I know it's probably preference, but I didn't know if someone researched the two and found one that is nutritionally better than the other.

I'd love to talk more, but I better get to work. Great job to everyone for staying motivated!! :thumbsup2 :woohoo: Happy training!!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Lisa-
I am reading MFM. I probably do need to slow down a little. I have been following the Hal Higdon 5k, but it is just running without specified walking intervals. I just pulled up John Binghams 5k run/walk that I found online. I will start with that this week. My knees are less achy today. I will let you know how things feel this week.

Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate your help.
Maggie

That's good!

gatorphipps
01-23-2006, 09:38 AM
I put the date on mine when I get them. That way, I know the exact date they were bought. I only use mine for running and change them out every 3 months. I may be able to keep my next pair for another month b/c I'm not double running anymore. The rule is change out every 300-500 miles....this depends on your weight and what surface you are running on. You also need to do this with every pair of shoes..not just running shoes. This is what my foot Doc told me.
Getting ready to go swim.
Christa

gatorphipps
01-23-2006, 09:41 AM
I'll be back to talk for real, but now I'm just going to say:

Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!!!!!!! Pittsburgh's Going to the SUPER BOWL!!!!!

Krista princess:
Krista - I will be pulling for your Steelers too! Because of the whip down the Sea Hawks put on my Panthers last night! You guys KILL EM!
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Christa

icunurse_celeste
01-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Krista- another song I like is "I believe I can fly" by R. Kelly. Although I don't care for the singer and his past, the song was used at my pinning ceremony for nursing school and it really summed up how I felt about getting through nursing school. Another song I like is , "On my way" by Phil Collins from Brother Bear. I also tried to listen to lots of fast paced music.

Colleen- Yeah! That would be fun to have more people doing that and a Disparty! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

After breakfast- off to the TM!

sap1227
01-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Since it is really time to get serious about the Minnie, I am going to post my running schedule for the week here, hoping that will help make me do it!!!

I am following the IFit 1/2 marathon program, but decreasing the road runs a little to adjust for the 15K.

Monday Rest
Tuesday 3 Mile Run (45 mins or less)
Wednesday Rest
Thursday 4.1 Mile Hill Repeats (50 mins)
Friday Rest
Saturday 7 Mile Run (74 mins)

Christy

Lisa loves Pooh
01-23-2006, 10:22 AM
LINK to Tiffany necklace (yes people are selling it on e-bay!!!! :sad2: )

This is 2005 (I totally remembered the wrong year in my earlier description!)
Runner Girl NIke 2005 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffany-Co-Nike-Womens-Marathon-pendant-silver_W0QQitemZ5077678075QQcategoryZ92840QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

It is a runner girl with the nike swoosh and some indication of distance engraved on it.

Lisa loves Pooh
01-23-2006, 10:43 AM
My Minnie Schedule:

The countdown starts this weekend 14 weeks until Minnie!!! Training for me will begin monday--using MFM again, the half-marathon run/walk plan. It starts easy with 3:2 intervals--I think I can swing that! Long runs on saturdays. I plan on using the jogging stroller--get some cross training out of it as well. Hopefully this will make me due for a pleasant surprise with time when I am no longer running with 80 pounds of kids!

I will do the schedule as written with no adjustments to long days--the longest is only 10 miles...so I figure that will be okay.

I will train with weights this season as well--just being careful to keep it light and lots of reps.

sap1227
01-23-2006, 11:03 AM
My Minnie Schedule:

I will do the schedule as written with no adjustments to long days--the longest is only 10 miles...so I figure that will be okay.

I will train with weights this season as well--just being careful to keep it light and lots of reps.

My longest run is supposed to be 15 miles, I will probably scale that one down to 10.

I too will be doing weight training, but I am tackling one change in routine at a time :)

Christy

icunurse_celeste
01-23-2006, 11:05 AM
LINK to Tiffany necklace (yes people are selling it on e-bay!!!! :sad2: )

This is 2005 (I totally remembered the wrong year in my earlier description!)
Runner Girl NIke 2005 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffany-Co-Nike-Womens-Marathon-pendant-silver_W0QQitemZ5077678075QQcategoryZ92840QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

It is a runner girl with the nike swoosh and some indication of distance engraved on it.

Why would you want a medal that belongs to someone else? I am also suprised that multiple people are bidding on it? Lets hope someone lost theirs and now they are trying to replace it.

I do remember last year many people selling their Donalds and Mickeys online. Maybe due to the second one you get if you order one of the placques.

Honeibee
01-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Good morning everyone. Thought I'd stop in here to see if I left my motivation here. I seem to have misplaced it. :guilty:

Holy cow we have a lot of posts for first thing Monday. :surfweb:

Minnie - Logic is a registered Thoroughbred so she has some real famous relatives. The mare I have on loan, Emily, is an Appendix. I think she is going to go home soon though. I am trying to foster a rescue Quarter Horse mare. I met her Sunday and she's a little small (I'm used to Logic at 17 hands) but seems like a real sweetie.

aladdinsgirl
01-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Krista - I will be pulling for your Steelers too! Because of the whip down the Sea Hawks put on my Panthers last night! You guys KILL EM!
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Christa

Christa--You can believe the Steelers will bring it!! I was rooting for the Panthers, tough break with Foster and Goings!!!

Lisa--You talk about people selling their Tiffany necklaces on ebay, I have one even worse. Last night I saw the Goofy medal with the Donald half and the Mickey full. I could not believe it. :sad2: What are people thinking??!! :confused3

Minnie
01-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Minnie - Logic is a registered Thoroughbred so she has some real famous relatives. The mare I have on loan, Emily, is an Appendix. I think she is going to go home soon though. I am trying to foster a rescue Quarter Horse mare. I met her Sunday and she's a little small (I'm used to Logic at 17 hands) but seems like a real sweetie.

My first horse was a registered Thoroughbred and my second was an Appendix. My last Quarter colt was 16.3 hands so I know what you mean by size. The two I currently own are registered Quarters and are wonderful sweet trail/pleasure horses. Just perfect for my DS to gain confidence riding on. I can't wait for spring to come to Iowa :banana:

gatorphipps
01-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Christa--You can believe the Steelers will bring it!! I was rooting for the Panthers, tough break with Foster and Goings!!!

Lisa--You talk about people selling their Tiffany necklaces on ebay, I have one even worse. Last night I saw the Goofy medal with the Donald half and the Mickey full. I could not believe it. :sad2: What are people thinking??!! :confused3

Krista princess:
Thanks girl! I knew you could count on the Steelers for a Sea Hawk butt kick!

People do sell their medals! I don't understand it though. What is worse, I don't understand why someone would buy a medal they have not earned. I hope Celeste is right about them just trying to replace a lost one.
C

TXBelle
01-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks to everyone for their kind words and encouragement! I am feeling a little better today after working most of the weekend. I was going to ride my bike yesterday morning, but lightning and pouring rain gave me an excuse to sleep in. ;)

Erin- We will be at the World from March 4-12th. We will definitely see you then. Our schedule for each day is about the same: MK, MK, MK, MK, MK, MK, MK, then we might go to . . . MK. With 4 little girls, they really don't care to go anywhere else, but we always try to squeeze in at least one morning at each of the other 3 parks.

Great idea for an accountability thread Sunny! I will have to stop by there later. My first confession: I ate 5 and 1/2 donuts yesterday (like full size Krispy Creme donuts). My stomach turns just thinking about it. I guess the bright side is that I won't do that again!

By the way, where's Renee? How is the no smoking going? We are cheering for you! :cheer2:

hockeygirl
01-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Well, you all have kept me very motivated, I have gone two weeks and I have run every other day on the treadmill. That is more than I have done in a long time. It is a start and I really want to keep with it.

I still have to check my schedule, but I really want to sign up for the full marathon for next January.....I have to convince my boyfriend to do it still, he has not been as motivated to start training, but I will keep trying, because I really want him to do it with me.

Keep up the great work, you are all amazing!!

MelRhoads
01-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Ran 8 miles on the tm today. It wasn't too bad, but I couldn't get anyone to really talk to me!!!! I started up a few conversations, but nothing lasting. I really wouldn't mind the tm if i had someone to talk to!!! They always have to tv on espn (blech) At least i could think about krista when they showed video of hines ward. I even tried to start up a super bowl conversation, based on what i know from the boards (didn't work) near the end of my run, a little old man (who was likely in hip rehab) got on the tm closest to the fan. He moved the fan so it wouldn't be on him, and it wasn't hitting me anymore. I convinced him to switch tm's so that i could put the fan on me. he did it, (of course i really thought i had a target for conversation with him) but i don't think he ever forgave me!! :teeth:

Heather - glad you are back. I told you about my Krispy Kream conversation didn't i? I joked with the girl at the counter about the calories and fat in a donut. She said, "yeah, to burn one of these off, you would have to run like a whole mile" Anyway, i think you have that covered! You probably have a few donuts still left in the mileage bank!!!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Why would you want a medal that belongs to someone else? I am also suprised that multiple people are bidding on it? Lets hope someone lost theirs and now they are trying to replace it.

I do remember last year many people selling their Donalds and Mickeys online. Maybe due to the second one you get if you order one of the placques.

:confused3

I more wondering why on earth someone would bust their buns to earn it and then sell it.

Tiger Lily 03
01-23-2006, 07:46 PM
party: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :chat: :chat: :chat: What a chatty group these couple of days! :teeth:
Happy Birthday! Sara, so when does the Garmin get delivered?

Interesting discussions about new races to try.

Pat, the Chicago Distance Classic is the halfway training point for those doing the Chicago full (that I won’t say a word about your registering to your family) and many doing that full will be in the half. You will be right on track there.

Erin, great to hear from you and that you haven’t lost the “magic” yet.

Proper shoes! Yes, the mantra for sure.

Krista, your comment about Columbus in the fall is intriguing. The group I play with on the weekend (Northeast Ohio Fit) trains for the fall events and some have participated in that one. What a way to be awakened. Amazing you kept up with good spirits.

Sunny, that accountability thread…scares me! Why? Um, I’d hafta be ummm accountable! Eek! Afraid, very afraid. Yay! About Dx getting shoes!

Tammy, go Goofy! Walk real slow with DH for the half and enjoy the full. You can do it!

Ooohh and I do like the idea of the race for Tiffinay…yup, it’s all about the jewelry! I don’t ever see me going to that one, but I truly have envy for those that will.

Maggie, you doing Chicago Distance Classic with us?

Hockeygirl, if you cannot convince your DBF to do it with you, train and do it anyway. You will have lots of training partners here and I did the full w/o anyone from home, just WISH team. You can do it!

I’ve been feeling sick the weekend. Took off today and again tomorrow. Congestion settling in my chest. Will be back at work with “presenteeism” on Wednesday b/c I would need a doc slip if I take off the third day or more. Needless to say, I’ve not got back to anything just yet. I’ve also got an apt with podiatrist a week from tomorrow. Time to take care of the toe that has been turning a nice shade of purple. I think the nail will be a goner. It doesn’t hurt, but I do think it needs tending. Blisters on my blisters seem to be fading. That will be bad to start up and get toughened up again. I can’t wait!

Looks like my race year will be slim. I need to catch up with home commitments, sigh.

hockeygirl
01-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Tiger Lilly, I definetely want to try to do it on my own, and reading about all the great experiences on this board makes me want to do it even more. So, as long as my schedule works out, I will most likely do the full even if my DBF won't do it with me. I hope he decides that he wants to do it with me though, I will keep you updated!!

MelRhoads
01-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Sara - Happy Garmin Day and Happy Birthday!!! :banana:

Sunny... Christa... Colleen... Sara....Lynn...(I'm calling you...) Who's up for 50 miles of the Ouachita Trail on April 22??? If we don't make the time cutoffs, we just get rerouted for the 50k (13 hour time limit on both races) Anyone? Anyone?

gradtchr
01-23-2006, 10:49 PM
I went to the gym tonight and it feels so good to be back on track. I actually missed working out last week. All the treadmills were full for the hour and a half I was there but I did workout for an hour and a half so I got something in tonight at least. I think I might leave work a little bit early tomorrow and try to get my run in.

gatorphipps
01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Sara - Happy Garmin Day and Happy Birthday!!! :banana:

Sunny... Christa... Colleen... Sara....Lynn...(I'm calling you...) Who's up for 50 miles of the Ouachita Trail on April 22??? If we don't make the time cutoffs, we just get rerouted for the 50k (13 hour time limit on both races) Anyone? Anyone?
Where is this again? I would LOVE to..DH has this hang up on us not having any $$ to do this sort of thing.
Oh..just checked the calender..We will be returning from Amman, Jordan that weekend....yes the Middle East...Don't believe everything you hear on TV, it is quite safe there. This is why I don't have any $$.
christa

icunurse_celeste
01-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Where is this again? I would LOVE to..DH has this hang up on us not having any $$ to do this sort of thing.
Oh..just checked the calender..We will be returning from Amman, Jordan that weekend....yes the Middle East...Don't believe everything you hear on TV, it is quite safe there. This is why I don't have any $$.
christa

Jordan? Wow, I thought I had been to some cool places....mine me asking what you are going to do there? Where do you go and what do you see? I am an avid travel buff- but I don't think I know anyone who has gone to Jordan. Do tell....

TEK224
01-23-2006, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=Tiger Lily 03]

Ooohh and I do like the idea of the race for Tiffinay…yup, it’s all about the jewelry!

Lily - you are so right! When I mentioned this race at work, my co-workers thought I was crazy! They offered to chip in and buy me a Tiffany. I tried to tell them - it's all about EARNING the bling! They just shook their heads.
Hope you're feeling better. I've had the cold/chest congestion since coming home from Florida. It's a lot better, but still not totally gone.

Lisa - I can't understand why people would sell their medals either. I worked too darn hard to get them. No way I sell them. And why anyone would want one, who didn't earn it is beyond me. I won't even wear a T-shirt from a race unless I either participated or volunteered.

Terri

TammyNC
01-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Tammy, go Goofy! Walk real slow with DH for the half and enjoy the full. You can do it!

It is funny, the thought did cross my mind but man it just scares me to even think about it. You looked great coming through Epcot on Sunday it just amazed me that you had completed the 1/2 the day before. Did you pay the price on Monday? Was it tougher than you imagined?

Mouse Skywalker
01-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Greetings Everyone: I posted a new thread asking for some running support, and Tiger Lily 03 invited me to join this thread. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Let me introduce myself. I'm 38, and used to be a regular runner. I fell off when my first daughter was born (DD8 princess: ), and have had a hard time getting back to exercising ever since. We now have 2 daughters with the second turning five tomorrow (DD5 princess: )! Anyhow, daughter born, got my first real job, second daughter born, yada, yada, yada... I have started and stopped running so many times in the past 8 years.

I'm looking for some support as I try yet again to get back to running. I've always had a dream of running a marathon. I thought it would be great to try to run a half marathon first as I try to get to the marathon, but I need some support. I tried to start up again last summer and terrible shin splints (a first for me) and could barely walk. Anyhow, I want to start off really slowly and build up gradually. I'm proud of myself that I left work early yesterday and went for a brisk 1/2 hour walk. I'm going to try to walk every day this week, and maybe next week add in a little running.

Thanks for listening.

Dave

hockeygirl
01-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Welcome Dave, you have come to the right place. Like you, I was looking for a little motivation to get me back into exercising. I started reading this board about a month ago, and started working out about two weeks ago, and I haven't missed a workout yet. Like you, I have always had a dream of running a marathon, and I am almost positive I am going to the WDW marathon next january.

You can do it!! Keep reading this board, everyone is really great here.

TammyNC
01-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Glad to have you Dave. You will find some great inspiration here.

crzy4pooh
01-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Glad you are here Dave! This is a wonderful group - lots of support and encouragement! :thumbsup2

My calves are still a little sore, so took yesterday as a rest day. I will try for a short run tonight after work. DS has a sinus/ear infection thing going on, so it was probably best not to put him in the jogger. I'm hoping what I have is just allergies - not the same thing he has! :sick:

Anyway, hope everyone has a wonderful day! You all are doing great!!! :cheer2:

--Lynnda pooh:

magslite
01-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Welcome Dave,

I came here for the same reason. I was looking for support to stay consistent and motivated. Between my 3 kids (15, 3, 1) and work its easy to say I am too busy to exercise. This board has helped me stay on track for the couple of weeks that I have been here.

I have committed to the Disney half. As a novice runner having a goal makes all the difference for me.

Maggie

DisneyGirl
01-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Oh my gosh!! I just can't keep up with this thread!! (I think I just work too much, and don't spend enough time here ;-))

Happy birthday Sara!! and Welcome Dave!!!

Well, I missed my planned run this morning-- I'm sick, and it's awful, so I decided it was better to stay in and sleep, so I'll try to make it up on Friday. I'm planning on getting up and going to spinning tomorrow, though-- I'm horribly ill when I wake up, but it seems like it gets a little better by the time I eat something.

Do you guys tend to rest until you're better when you are sick, or do you push through it?? I know it's better to get out there and be slow than to not get out at all!!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Welcome Dave!

Tiger Lily and Disney Girl and anyone else who is sick!
Get better soon!

magslite
01-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Maggie, you doing Chicago Distance Classic with us?

I will be there! I really have no excuse since I live here! :yay:

Maggie

msblrobs
01-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Happy birthday Sara!!Thank you :love:
Do you guys tend to rest until you're better when you are sick, or do you push through it?? I know it's better to get out there and be slow than to not get out at all.I try to push trough it at a moderate intensity, based on how I feel. I have had a killer cold also and have bagged workouts as needed. If I feel okay, I try to trudge ahead.

Dave - welcome to the group!

MelR - thanks for the birthday wishes. I did order the Garmin yesterday. I got a $10 Amazon gift certificate in the mail yesterday from some survey I completed so I took that as a sign from above. As for the 50 miler, I'll be at WDW on 4/22!! I'll be thinking of you :banana:

Lily - Thanks :love: Hopefully I'll see the Garmin by Monday. I am so excited!! I've finally realized I really do need to get off the treadmill and on the roads once in a while. I hope you feel better soon :wizard:

I'm still recovering from the junk I have, so I've been doing workouts as my energy levels allow. I've lost 5 lbs since WDW when I decided that I need to drop weight to reach some goals. Looking to drop 10-15 more. I am loving Sunny's accountability thread even though I haven't stepped up and posted yet :confused3

I hope everyone has a successful week with training. :cool1:

Mouse Skywalker
01-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I must admit I was a little intimidated joining a thread when it looked like all the posts were from women. However, I really do feel like I'm dealing with a lot of the same issues as everyone here. Finding time to exercise between work and kids being the biggest one.

I'd love to commit to the Disneyland 1/2 marathon, but I don't want to plunk down any money for reservations and registration until I see how my exercising goes. I just can't commit to spending money for a trip that far away - my DW would kill me. Plus, we would need to figure out what to do with the girls.

What do you all do for the Disney races? Do you take the whole family? In a lot of ways, I would love just to take the weekend with my wife. Run the race, bring her along for encouragement, and have some adult time without the kids. Maybe I'll start secretly saving for the trip...

Minnie
01-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Welcome Dave!!!!!!!!! You have made your way to a wonderful group! Don't worry about the registration just yet. They didn't close it last year until in the fall :welcome:

Happy Birthday Sara :cake: :bday:

:wizard: pixiedust: to all the sickies out there!!!!!!!

icunurse_celeste
01-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Do you guys tend to rest until you're better when you are sick, or do you push through it?? I know it's better to get out there and be slow than to not get out at all!!

I used to work with a pulmonologist (lung doctor) who gave this advice: If it is above you neck and you feel fine to work out- do what you feel you can do. If it is below you neck, you should use caution and probably rest or take it really easy.

Dave, welcome! If you are thinking about doing one of the events at WDW- you should make the goal and commit. The events do sell out and it might not be there when you decide that you have trained enough. Plus money is a great motivator to getting your goals into action.

I took my DH and our 7 yo son. We left LATE Thursday night and returned Monday afternoon. Since it was a short trip, we stayed at the Pop Century and had a great time. My only complaint would be the double size beds. (we have a king at home) However, I got to sleep alone the night before and night of the race so I could rest.

Hope everyone has a great morning- I'm off to the gym to bike, pilates, and STRETCH. :woohoo:

C

gatorphipps
01-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I must admit I was a little intimidated joining a thread when it looked like all the posts were from women. However, I really do feel like I'm dealing with a lot of the same issues as everyone here. Finding time to exercise between work and kids being the biggest one.

I'd love to commit to the Disneyland 1/2 marathon, but I don't want to plunk down any money for reservations and registration until I see how my exercising goes. I just can't commit to spending money for a trip that far away - my DW would kill me. Plus, we would need to figure out what to do with the girls.

What do you all do for the Disney races? Do you take the whole family? In a lot of ways, I would love just to take the weekend with my wife. Run the race, bring her along for encouragement, and have some adult time without the kids. Maybe I'll start secretly saving for the trip...
Welcome Dave...I find no matter if you are male or female, running issues are about the same. So join right in and enjoy! When DH and I do the WDW Marathons we let the grandparents have some quality time with the girls. :rotfl2: We try to rest and have fun w/out them. I have a DD5 and a DD8 (this Feb 14th) so I understand little girls!

Jordan? Wow, I thought I had been to some cool places....mine me asking what you are going to do there? Where do you go and what do you see? I am an avid travel buff- but I don't think I know anyone who has gone to Jordan. Do tell....
celeste - I guess you can say we go there to tour. We have friends over there and visit with them. DH has been several times, this is my 1st time in Jordan. Been to the Middle east b/4 though. We will go to Petra (the cool place in the last Indiana Jones movie). It really has nothing in it though. We also go swim in the Dead Sea..Cool! :sunny: There are also other places we go, but they escape me now.

I biked and swam yesterday. My foot hurts today so DH suggested I take a day off. I think this is a good idea. I can go out of control sometimes with exercise. Don't want to get hurt b/4 my Tri! :thumbsup2
Christa

wtpclc
01-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Happy Birthday Sara!!!

Welcoem Dave!

Holy cow, I cannot keep up. I di dcatch a few race schedules. Here's mine so far:

May 27, Mackinaw Bridge Run (5.6 miles)
August 13?, home town alumni run (5k)
August 26, Crim (10 miles)

Looks like River Bank, CHicago DIst CLassic and DL 1/2 are out for me due to scheduleing conflicts. :( I may find a late sept/early oct too.

Have a great week everyone!

plutosmyfav
01-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Welcome, Dave! There are men here, too. They just aren't as chatty as the ladies :p You'll love this place once you get to know everyone.

Sara-- happy birthday! I'm a little slow...

celeste-- yes Dx and I are great pals. He's probably the only guy on the internet with the title "Dx" :lmao: Our relationship is a bit odd, but then again, we are a bit odd so it works out fine.

MelR-- Stop tempting me with races the IC would die for! I have that same little issue as Christa, MONEY! Time is also a constraint. If I'm going to do Goody in '07 I will need to save a lot of vacation time for the hard training. But keep posting your crazy races, I might just take you up on one!

As for the whole buy/sale medal thing. I think some people view them as collector's items and buy. Why someone would sell theres is beyond me. Maybe to finance their next race? But my mom did WW online and I went to ebay and was able to buy some of the WW milestones for her (the 10% key chain, etc.) so she could get her rewards. I'm sure people would think that was an odd thing to buy, too.

I was really dumb yesterday. It snowed all day. I went to the gym at lunchtime and did a killer upperbody weights session. It wasn't until I was driving home that evening that it dawned on me that I was going to have to shovel. I had no strength in my arms. It was grueling. This was white cement snow. snow comes in a variety of consistencies, ranging from white cement to Splenda. White cement is the worst!

Sunny

Mouse Skywalker
01-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey wtpclc - I used to live in Michigan and I ran the CRIM back before I had kids. I was thinking of going back and trying to run the CRIM this year since my BIL still lives in Ann Arbor.

I still have my t-shirt from the 20th CRIM 10 miler in 1996, and I thought it would be great to get back into running and run the 30th CRIM 10 miler in 2006.

wtpclc
01-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Cool Dave! I think MelR came last year, but I couldn't do it. It'd be great to ahve another WISHer there!

Honeibee
01-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Good morning everyone! I found the motivation I misplaced the other day. Seems the key for me is to keep improving, even if it's just bumping up the TM speed a tenth. I NEED that improvement to keep me going. So now I'm up to 45 minutes at 3.7. Not too bad considering six weeks ago I was just starting on the TM for 20 min at 2.5. :thumbsup2

Welcome Dave! Don't worry about there not being too many guys here. We women won't bite. :lmao:

Where's Cam again? She has to stop all this working and get back on the Dis! :surfweb:

Hey, we go on our cruise in 80 days (but who's counting!). I love love love walking on the top deck at dawn. :yay: Oh I'm looking forward to that!

Judy

DisneyGirl
01-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Good morning everyone! I found the motivation I misplaced the other day. Seems the key for me is to keep improving, even if it's just bumping up the TM speed a tenth. I NEED that improvement to keep me going. So now I'm up to 45 minutes at 3.7. Not too bad considering six weeks ago I was just starting on the TM for 20 min at 2.5. :thumbsup2

Judy

Congrats on finding your motivation again Judy :banana: !!!! Wow-- that is AMAZING improvement :worship: !! Imagine where you will be in time for the race!!!! :cool1:

I keep finding cool new smilies (I never really looked at them...)

This is how I feel every morning: :surfweb:
And I like this Severus Snape one: :stir:

MelRhoads
01-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Dave - Welcome! You've come to the right place. I ran the CRIM last yr. with my sister in law. You should just go ahead and sign up for the full at WDW and use the CRIM as a training run :)

Sunny (this is for IC) - Hotels in Little Rock aren't that much. There is an airport. I'd pick you up there so no rental car. You could hang with me and EC!

Christa - I didn't see you turn me down in your post!! Are you considering it? Get Ron and Bree to come!!!

Phil and I were planning to Mountian Bike today, but I think we are going out to eat instead (Hey, a real date!!)

gatorphipps
01-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Dave - Welcome! You've come to the right place. I ran the CRIM last yr. with my sister in law. You should just go ahead and sign up for the full at WDW and use the CRIM as a training run :)

Sunny (this is for IC) - Hotels in Little Rock aren't that much. There is an airport. I'd pick you up there so no rental car. You could hang with me and EC!

Christa - I didn't see you turn me down in your post!! Are you considering it? Get Ron and Bree to come!!!

Phil and I were planning to Mountian Bike today, but I think we are going out to eat instead (Hey, a real date!!)
Melissa - You are the Evil Queen for tempting me! DH would KILL me if I signed up for another race. That is also the day we get back from Jordan. :sad2:
C

panthergirl
01-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Hi Mel and all!

I am still here but just reading for the most part. I am still trying to decide what to do next year. My sister has committed to do the WDW 1/2 and I am considering doing the full. For now I am going to continue training but going back to more strength work. I plan to run 5-6 miles on Saturdays and do 3 miles a couple other days a week. That way I will be ready no matter which way I decide to go. I also plan to lose 20 pounds or so and try to get faster.

I am in mourning for my beloved Panthers who had an old fashioned fanny whooping at the hands of the Seahawks last Sunday. Here's to next year! Congrats to Krista on the success of the Steelers.

I'll stay in touch just to keep inspired by all of your accomplishments. Happy training all!

Susan

icunurse_celeste
01-24-2006, 12:56 PM

Judy

Good for you! Awesome!

What cruise are you going on?

I LOVE going on the Disney cruise.

C

wtpclc
01-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Susan - At least you're not a Lion's fan. ;)

Honeibee
01-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Good for you! Awesome!

What cruise are you going on?

I LOVE going on the Disney cruise.

C

Oh Celeste, don't I wish! :rolleyes: We are going on Carnival. We are taking my husband's four kids and we can't really afford for all six of us to go on DCL. Not this year anyway. We got a pretty good price since we are both past Carnival guests.

Maybe DCL next time.... :)

wiskband
01-24-2006, 01:58 PM
hi all! :wave2:

Training is good this week! :thumbsup2 Today is 2 weeks, I have been back on my TM! It also makes 2 weeks of being smoke free! :Pinkbounc

I have been on the TM 10 of the last 14 days. Each time doing
5 mph for 36 minutes gets me 3 miles! I cool down @ 3.2 mph gets me another 1/4 of a mile!

I got so many challenges on WISH....lol i am being to confuse myself doing the math!
exercise challenge= counting minutes per month! :rolleyes:
walking to disney= counting miles :rolleyes:
:teeth:
As far as weight challenges! NOT EVEN CLOSE! :furious: :sad2: :furious:
I have gained 6 pounds since I quit smoking! But it's all good, keeping my head up, I know healthy lungs are more important!

Besdies, I already gained the weight whats done is done, know I got to focus on that!

So, I havent yet bought this MFM book, money is tight! but I am steadily using the TM and plan on increasing! ANY SUGGESTIONS? as far as increasing? should I go for miles or minutes. what would the author of MFM say to do at this point?

till next time!

icunurse_celeste
01-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Renae- That is awesome! :thumbsup2 Good for you! I can only imagine how hard that must be to stop smoking. Don't worry about the weight, it will come off after your metabolism readjusts. I have been reading the MFM book and the only thing I can tell you is that they suggest increasing your long runs by 10% each week- but I'm only 79 pages into the book.

Judy- Hey, any cruise is an awesome cruise. I have only cruised with DCL, but I have heard Carnival is fun. I understand about the cost too- when my husband's son cruises with us- the price really goes up. I am used to the cost of our son- who is 7- but when Alex comes, we get to pay for a whole adult! (15YO ) Yikes- but evidently they know what they are doing- because have you seen the way teenage boys eat? Holy cow! I pick up extra shifts to pay for our vacations- I always tell people that I work so I can go on vacation. However, it is worth it!

I don't think I mentioned that I caved and bought a Garmin over the weekend. It came today- I am looking forward to using it tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be so windy and cold in the Windy City tomorrow!

Mouse Skywalker
01-24-2006, 04:15 PM
What's the MFM book - My First Marathon?

Minnie
01-24-2006, 04:21 PM
What's the MFM book - My First Marathon?

Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham

Mouse Skywalker
01-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks Minnie: I'll have to check it out. OK, I'm going to go for my 1/2 hour walk now. Building up slowly. Dave

TiffJ
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, I'm back from SportsMed. I have Tendonitis in both ankles. He has given me 3 weeks of steroids & have to lay off running/walking for the next couple of weeks. I can still xt though, so that's good. He thinks I should be ok to ease back into it in a couple of weeks. He knows about my upcoming events & said I should be fine.

Swam 400yds today. Boy has that made me hungry. I don't like that!!!! Kind of defeats the purpose of all this.

Welcome to those joining us! Its great to see the group expanding!

princessmomma
01-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Oh, that sounds so outrageous (in a good way)! :thumbsup2 But that is a bad weekend for me too. I have family coming down from Canada to visit over the Easter break. See are you not impressed I actually looked up the date on my calendar! Like Sunny said keep throwing out those crazy races for us, you never know you might have a group of Wishers on your doorstep!

I am still looking for Chicago or Marine Corps marathoners (both the end of October)? Anyone? Anyone?

Tiff, rest is good. I hope they heal up quickly.

Colleen

icunurse_celeste
01-24-2006, 08:11 PM
I am still looking for Chicago or Marine Corps marathoners (both the end of October)? Anyone? Anyone?

Tiff, rest is good. I hope they heal up quickly.

Colleen

I think Maggie and I are doing Chicago. Maggie are you doing just the CDC or both? I am doing both. I was going to add more events, but decided that wasn't wise....I've been reading MFM and I think I need to slow down to I don't hurt my knee more. So I will be slow, steady, and strong.

I think that the MFM training via heart rate is interesting- but it is hard for me to actually get to my 60-75 target rate. Anyone actually use the target HR for training? I'm curious to see how it compares with other plans. :teacher:

C

chimera
01-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Welcome, Dave! :welcome: Always nice to see another former band geek around here ;)

Sara...happy belated birthday! :bday:

Congrats to all the new Garmin owners! :jumping1:
I have never used the training assistant...been too afraid I'd have to feed it like a Tamagotchi or something :scared: Has anyone else trained with it?

Craig...haven't heard much from you. What are your race/training plans for next year?

Susan...glad to see you back! Hope to see you for the full in '07...maybe we'll get to meet you for real!

Question for Team NC...we're thinking about a non-Disney vacation during Memorial Week, somewhere near Cherokee. Any suggestions?

DisGirl... :rotfl: so how did you do in Potions class?

Not too bad yesterday, 3.92 miles at a 14:03 pace. got my issue with my registration straightened out by a nice guy named Steve. He says they'll not be changing the course to include more of the parks and they may consider a split start for the half, though nothing's in the works right now.

Good training everyone!

xterratri
01-24-2006, 09:02 PM

I considered Marine Corps after working medical at the 2005 race. It was really very inspiring, especially seeing all the military members in their service singlets. But MCM isn't a great BQ if you are on the cusp. Chicago is a fast course so a good BQ but I'm suspicious that my travel budget for the year will already be seriously impaired. I'm leaning toward running the Steamtown Marathon in Scranton, PA. It has a net 935 ft downhill drop over the course of the 26.2 miles and it considered to be a fast course. Of course, if I had a day like I did at WDW 2006 it doesn't matter if something a BQ because I won't even be close.

MelR- Apr 22 is a week before tri season opens for me. I'm doing an olympic distance in St Petersburg, FL on Apr 30. Not the best timing to do a 50 mile trail run. I also think I ought to start my ultra career with a 50 K rather than a 50 miler. I actually never raced more than 10K off road and even in training haven't ran trails more than about 10 miles.

The week so far- lifted Sunday, ran and swam yesterday, and lifted and biked today. We have an ECG/Radiology test at 0900 tomorrow for the Cardiovascular System and then I will go run and then swim. At least that is the plan. We're supposed to get more of the white stuff.

:wizard: :wizard: for the injuries and illnesses.

Welcome to the new people. It is great to have more joining us.
Dave(Mouseskywalker)- Rochester is a great area to be a runner in. Check out the maps for the Fairport area also known as trail town. Plus there are miles upon miles of trails along the Erie Canal and the river.

Lisa loves Pooh
01-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Well, I'm back from SportsMed. I have Tendonitis in both ankles. He has given me 3 weeks of steroids & have to lay off running/walking for the next couple of weeks. I can still xt though, so that's good. He thinks I should be ok to ease back into it in a couple of weeks. He knows about my upcoming events & said I should be fine.

Swam 400yds today. Boy has that made me hungry. I don't like that!!!! Kind of defeats the purpose of all this.

Welcome to those joining us! Its great to see the group expanding!
:grouphug:

Hope you get better soon! Running/walking restrictiosn just stink! But hopefully--your body will thank you for it and reward you with good run/walks when you are able to hit the road again. :goodvibes

plutosmyfav
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
TiffJ :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: Speedy recovery!

I did 3.5 miles on the TM today and my first lower body weights since Dec 27Th. I only went up to 420 lb on the leg press and it was really, really hard. Can't wait to see what my butt feels like tomorrow :lmao:

Sunny

Lisa loves Pooh
01-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Congrats to all the new Garmin owners! :jumping1:
I have never used the training assistant...been too afraid I'd have to feed it like a Tamagotchi or something :scared: Has anyone else trained with it?

Haven't trained with it--but I do have a complaint about it. When you log in a distance and estimated pace--and if you are slower than pace--or in the case of the marathon...the zig zagging add to the distance--all the while you are exceeding the pace (and still have more road to go). It SHUTS OFF. So once it hits the distance--it's done. GOOD for training runs---BAD for races if you are using it to document your time.

Hubby's garmin shut off before we got to the Christmas Tree at EPCOT. (it didn't turn off--the training partner just says you are done and stops the timing).

I like it--I just wish it wouldn't do that.

Lisa loves Pooh
01-24-2006, 11:46 PM
TiffJ :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: Speedy recovery!

I did 3.5 miles on the TM today and my first lower body weights since Dec 27Th. I only went up to 420 lb on the leg press and it was really, really hard. Can't wait to see what my butt feels like tomorrow :lmao:

Sunny

And I was excited when I upped the weight to 40 pounds today. :woohoo:

perfectmatch300
01-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Came here for motivation, and as usual I found it here. I'll have to go check out the eating accountability thread if I can get the courage up for that! :earseek:

Erin, don't know for sure when I will be in MK next, but I'll be looking for you. We will be in AK on Thurs for EE. Can't wait to try that! Then off to Boma for dinner with our friends. Did I mention needing the eating accountability thread!? :yay: Sorry, but I don't think we will be there on Sat when the rest of you are there. But then again, maybe.....

I think I'll be signing up for a 5K at Universal on Feb 4 - Run the Universe. It's not chip timed, but should be fun, and there may be more people around my pace. I should be able to get a pretty good idea of my time between the clock time and my own stopwatch. I'd like to see how it compares with the 5K I did last spring. I'm sure there will be an improvement.

I also found some sprint tri's for novices near us here in Clermont, so I'm thinking about that, too. I looked at the times for some of last years finishers, and they weren't too intimidating even for slowpoke me.

Renee, congrats on the no smoking! Great job!

wfloyd
01-25-2006, 06:05 AM
Haven't trained with it--but I do have a complaint about it. When you log in a distance and estimated pace--and if you are slower than pace--or in the case of the marathon...the zig zagging add to the distance--all the while you are exceeding the pace (and still have more road to go). It SHUTS OFF. So once it hits the distance--it's done. GOOD for training runs---BAD for races if you are using it to document your time.

Hubby's garmin shut off before we got to the Christmas Tree at EPCOT. (it didn't turn off--the training partner just says you are done and stops the timing).

I like it--I just wish it wouldn't do that.

I have used the assistant a few times and on the 301 it doesn't shut off if you need to go further. It keeps counting until you hit the stop button. I will generally set it for a little lower mileage just to make sure I complete it and then stop everything when I get to the end of the run.

Mouse Skywalker
01-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the support everyone!

Xterratri - I will definitely check out the trails around Fairport and the Erie Canal. I'm still pretty new here in Rochester. We just moved here from Vermont last year.

OK, 2 days and 2, 1/2 hour walks, I gotta keep it going. You guys are getting me interested in the WDW Marathon. How is it for a 1st marathon?

TiffJ
01-25-2006, 07:26 AM
Sunny- "only" 420 lbs. I think what people were saying about just walking the races before also apply to your weight lifting. There is no "only" with how much you do :dog:

Thanks for the well wished guys, at least I can still xt to keep up the activity.

Mouse Skywalker-it is an awesome 1st marathon. This was my first year & it was such a great experience. Where else would I travel 800 miles to get up a 2:30 in the morning, sit in the freezing cold until 6:00 at which time I must then trek 13.1 miles and have a great time doing it. I didnt even mind the pre-race wait because I was hanging out & meeting people. It is mostly a flat course with plenty of water & stuff along the way. GO FOR IT!! You will not regret it.

Nancy- that Universal 5k sounds like a blast. I may get shot for saying this, but I like Universal too. I think most 5k's arent chip timed. Have fun & good luck. Oh-and good luck with the tri thing too, I am officially training for mine end of May now. And boy is swimming hard work :faint:

I'm going to the gym for biking today. Hopefully next month I will have my very own bike so I can actually go somewhere on it :teeth:

Lisa loves Pooh
01-25-2006, 08:00 AM
I have used the assistant a few times and on the 301 it doesn't shut off if you need to go further. It keeps counting until you hit the stop button. I will generally set it for a little lower mileage just to make sure I complete it and then stop everything when I get to the end of the run.

I see--an extra service for buying the higher model. :teeth:

The 201 and 101 say race is finished inour experience. Maybe we aren't doing something right. :confused3

crzy4pooh
01-25-2006, 08:32 AM
I also found some sprint tri's for novices near us here in Clermont, so I'm thinking about that, too. I looked at the times for some of last years finishers, and they weren't too intimidating even for slowpoke me.

Run the Universe sounds so fun!!!! You will be great - and have an awesome time, I'm sure! I don't think I should even mention it to my DH, though... my races seem to be slurping up all our money... :rolleyes1

I've been looking at the Clermont tri's, too. I think they have a Super Sprint and a regular sprint for each tri weekend. Do you know which one you are looking at? I was thinking about either the June or July one (maybe both... :teeth: ) I'd love to "tri" with a fellow WISHer!!! :woohoo:

KeriZ
01-25-2006, 09:20 AM
I believe this is the thread that Minnie told me to join. I was just briefly going through this thread and really I'm impressed at everyone's dedication.

I'll give you a brief background on myself. 35 year old with a 5 year old daughter and I absolutely hate running. I'm always loved to walk and used to go to exercise classes but after I had my daughter I couldn't take my pregnancy weight off and completely stopped exercising. I have two close friends who are half-marathoners(they just completed the Phoenix half at 2:11) and they convinced me to train with them for the 15K event.

I will be in WDW from the 4th of May to the 21. 11 nights at the BW villas and 3 nights at Hard Rock. First three nights not sure where.

Anyways I started back on the treadmill on Sunday and ran about 7 km(1 hour) and then last night I ran 5 km (35 minutes). I think I'm starting training with my friends on Sunday and I'm extremely nervous for them to see how out of shape I am.

I hope to do some hills on the treadmill on Thursday and I will let you know how my first outdoor run goes.

Great job everyone keep up the great work it is really motivating me that I can do this race. :bounce:

Keri

Minnie
01-25-2006, 09:23 AM
I believe this is the thread that Minnie told me to join.

Great job everyone keep up the great work it is really motivating me that I can do this race. :bounce:

Keri

:welcome: and yes this is the right thread!!!!!!!! You will absolutely love it here!!!!!

Minnie
01-25-2006, 09:27 AM
TiffJ - :wizard: :stir: and pixiedust: that you will heal and be back running soon!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back to the PT on Monday and was hurting quite badly once again. The chiro did nothing last week but take away all the good that the PT had done. Since the pain continues I am off to see the Sports Ortho today to hope to find out the source of the problem. The PT thinks a pinched nerve may be playing a part due to the radiating pain down my hip/leg/knee. I hope to have some sort of news to report this afternoon!

Happy training everyone! ::MinnieMo

hmgolden
01-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi all - I'm here to introduce myself. I've decided to make an attempt at the half marathon on 2007. I'm 25 and I've never been a runner (while I wasn't a band geek, I was a total drama geek ;)), and have just recently started seriously going to the gym to get in better shape. I think I have got DH convinced to do the 1/2 with me, and I'm trying to get another friend of ours to run too - he's a former runner, and has been acting as my sort of trainer. At the moment I've been going to the gym 3-5 times a week doing a mix of weights, running on the treadmill and biking. I've gotten my 5k time to about 40 minutes, and I can run half of it. A small accomplishment, but I'm proud ;)

-Helen

budbeerlady
01-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Subscribing

Jodi
01-25-2006, 09:50 AM
QUICK QUICK!

For all you Minnie Marathoners living in the Hartford area!!! SW just posted a DING FARE for $49! each way from Hartford to Orlando for that weekend!!

I just booked Friday to Monday!! Guess I'm doing the MINNNIE!!

Jodi

Honeibee
01-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Good morning everyone! :sunny:

Tiff - Ohh sorry to hear about your ankles. Good thing you are doing the swimming now, right? I hope you get better fast! :wizard:

Minnie - Ohhh, I hope you are feeling better too. Sorry to hear the chiro did nothing to help. :wizard:

Helen - Welcome! Glad to see another WDW bride here! :bride:

Geez, everyone is doing so much all over the country! I 'm not ready to join you big dogs yet. But just give me time! :thumbsup2 I'm having a hard time finding any smaller local races. I have a Memorial Day race lined up but I really wanted a little more experience under my belt before I head off to WDW.

BTW, still no CAM this morning.... :rolleyes1

Judy

hmgolden
01-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Judy - Thanks for the welcome :) I see you live in Westchester County...have you checked out the NY City Road Runner's club (http://www.nyrr.org/nyrrc/org/home.html)? I'll probably be doing a bunch of those races in the next few months. My friends who are runners tell me its worth the drive from up north (we are in Dutchess County) becuase the races are better, and more people show up than they do to the local races up here.

If I dont make a trip to Disney in May for the 5k during Minnie Marathon weekend, I'm planning on doing the 4 mile race in central park that weekend.

magslite
01-25-2006, 10:49 AM
I think Maggie and I are doing Chicago. Maggie are you doing just the CDC or both? I am doing both. I was going to add more events, but decided that wasn't wise....I've been reading MFM and I think I need to slow down to I don't hurt my knee more. So I will be slow, steady, and strong.

I think that the MFM training via heart rate is interesting- but it is hard for me to actually get to my 60-75 target rate. Anyone actually use the target HR for training? I'm curious to see how it compares with other plans. :teacher:

C

I think I am going to stick to CDC and Disney half for my big events this year. Between these two and some local smaller races I will have an exciting first year. I will consider training for a full next year. I am trying to learn the beauty of starting slow. :)

Did you start using your Garmin yet?

Dave - congrats on getting started! Doesn't it feel great! :banana:

Helen - welcome! This is my first year running too. My first 5k race will be St. patty 's day.

Mouse Skywalker
01-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the welcome Magslite! It does feel great getting started. I can even feel the effect of the walks in my legs (shins in particular) - I guess that means I'm really out of shape. That's OK, I knew that, and now I'm working on it. Just have to keep it going.

Honeibee
01-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Judy - Thanks for the welcome :) I see you live in Westchester County...have you checked out the NY City Road Runner's club (http://www.nyrr.org/nyrrc/org/home.html)? I'll probably be doing a bunch of those races in the next few months. My friends who are runners tell me its worth the drive from up north (we are in Dutchess County) becuase the races are better, and more people show up than they do to the local races up here.

If I dont make a trip to Disney in May for the 5k during Minnie Marathon weekend, I'm planning on doing the 4 mile race in central park that weekend.

Hey, look at that! I didn't even notice you were in NY! I was too busy looking at your wedding picture, which is fabulous BTW.

I'll have a look at the NYRR website. Thanks, thats a very good idea. I went to the local "athletic" store to check out new shoes and see if they had anything posted or if they knew of any local races, but were not at all helpful. The place seemed to be staffed by a bunch of young jocks who didn't have time for me. So...fine. :rolleyes2

Judy

keenercam
01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi, everyone! Sorry I have been MIA! Extremely busy trial schedule for the next several weeks and am trying to get out of here at a reasonable time in the evenings to get to the gym.

Did 30 minutes on the bike yesterday and 10 minutes wogging on the treadmill. I had no energy to keep going and am sure now I should have eaten something between lunch and my 7:30 visit to the dreadmill. I have determined that riding the bike before getting on the TM is not a good idea. The muscles in my calves seem to actually tighten up on the bike and it makes stretching in between the two activities very necessary and time-consuming.

Sunny -- those weights totally blow my mind. Let's see, I think I am doing 35-40 pounds on most stuff, except one particular piece of equipment where I am doing 90 lbs. Right now, I have to restrain myself from trying more weight or more reps until I do the prescribed workout a few more times.

Very excited to be trying my first mat yoga/pilates class tonight. Will report in tomorrow on that.

Welcome to all our new friends! It is GREAT to hear from more people who are making the plan to get healthier and fit! Hard to believe that a year ago I hardly knew anyone here and now, people actually miss me when I am being busy elsewhere! (Thanks, Judy! :hug: )

BTW, I am also keeping busy following Sunny's Training Eating Accountability thread and keeping up the 100 day challenge thread. Can't wait for the new month to start so I can do a new exercise challenge.

Have a great day, everyone!

magslite
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I'll give you a brief background on myself. 35 year old with a 5 year old daughter and I absolutely hate running. I'm always loved to walk and used to go to exercise classes but after I had my daughter I couldn't take my pregnancy weight off and completely stopped exercising. I have two close friends who are half-marathoners(they just completed the Phoenix half at 2:11) and they convinced me to train with them for the 15K event.

I hope to do some hills on the treadmill on Thursday and I will let you know how my first outdoor run goes.

Keri

Welcome and congrats on starting to train for the 15k. :thumbsup2

Maggie

wtpclc
01-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Dave - Here's my report. This was the first for dh and I.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1003162

A note of warning. Don't think we coudl do it anywhere but WDW, as we thrived on the entertainment. We're going to do the full again in '07, so it must have been ok. ;)

wtpclc
01-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Keri - Sorry I missed you! Welcome!!!

Your pace and just the ability to go as far as you did is awesome for a first attempt. I'm 34 adn started back last year. We started with 4 min walk, 1 min run and that was hard for us! (Ended up running the full, but it was a long journey). ANyway, with times like they have, don't be afraid to run your own pace and don't feel bad if you cannot keep up. Dh adn I trained together and his natural ability to go faster made it difficult at times. (Some of the people here are ligkely laughing at that understatemnt.) Anyway, start easy. It's a long journey and pushing too hard to start will just get you injured. Good luck!!!!

icunurse_celeste
01-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Did you start using your Garmin yet?

Too cold and windy out today...it will have to wait. I work tomorrow and the next 3 days- I'll have to post on next week's thread how it went.

NYcpa
01-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Here is a link to a site with some humor about running.
http://running.about.com/od/runninghumor/

I hope it works

Mouse Skywalker
01-25-2006, 01:19 PM
wtpclc - thanks for the link to your marathon report. You have really inspired me. It sounds like you were starting from near the same place I am - although I'm not even up to the 1 minute run part yet :confused3 . Still doing all walking. I'm taking it nice and slow after getting shin splints last year. I never knew they were so painful. Give me a month to see how my training goes, and then I may sign up for the WDW marathon.

MelRhoads
01-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Welcome everyone!!!! This is a great place for motivation and friendship!!

Today is rest day (you know, bible study and sipping mocha day) Monday I did 8 on TM and yesterday phil and I tagged teamed mt. biking while the other played with the boy at the park. I took the new trail a bike and the boy got his picture taken for the state paper :thumbsup2

You know how i love to post pics, so here is a link Oh yeah, I asked the photographer to make sure and cut out any of my blemishes b/4 she sent the pic to print, so lo and behold, she cut out my HEAD. My rear made the paper. I'm not sure what that means

[The boy in the paper (http://epaper.ardemgaz.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=ArDemocratNW/2006/01/25/13/Img/Pg013.png)

Honeibee
01-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Here is a link to a site with some humor about running.
http://running.about.com/od/runninghumor/

I hope it works

Thanks Kathy! :lmao: I love this one....

"your friends no longer look at you like your nuts, because they know it for sure" :rotfl2:

Judy

TammyNC
01-25-2006, 02:22 PM
No much time but wanted to stop by and say hello and welcome to our new folks. Glad to have you join us. I haven't gotten up the nerve to try any running/jogging but I think tomorrow will be the day. Won't have time to make it out to walk today so I will have to settle on the Elliptical.

MelRhoads
01-25-2006, 02:27 PM
AUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! What is wrong with me?? You have me checking flights for May 5 - 7. Maybe I could ask to go for mother's day???

Lisa loves Pooh
01-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Yes Melissa--come join all the Minnie's!!!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Are strollers allowed at Run for the Universe--anybody know???

perfectmatch300
01-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Run the Universe sounds so fun!!!! You will be great - and have an awesome time, I'm sure! I don't think I should even mention it to my DH, though... my races seem to be slurping up all our money... :rolleyes1

I've been looking at the Clermont tri's, too. I think they have a Super Sprint and a regular sprint for each tri weekend. Do you know which one you are looking at? I was thinking about either the June or July one (maybe both... :teeth: ) I'd love to "tri" with a fellow WISHer!!! :woohoo:

I was thinking about the June tri. I'd rather not wait till July when the humidity never lets up. Well, I guess it could be bad in June, too, but the last 2 years I thought it was still OK then. The swim will be the easy part for me, it's the bike (Wal-Mart klunker bike here) and the run because as of now I'm still mostly walking that worries me. I also have a skin problem that has kept me out of the pool for a while. It's almost cleared up, but right now our outdoor pool is closed for maintenence and the indoor one just is not a good lap pool - too small for laps and too much senior noodle soup for me to deal with so I have not done any swimming in a while.

MelR, guess you'd better be careful with what you ask those photographers to cut out! :rotfl2: Great pic of the boy, though!

Carrie, thanks for the race report!

Welcome to all the newcomers! :wave:

wtpclc
01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Dave - We were doing nothing at this time last year. Well, I went to Curves occasionally. Dh looked it up last night. We started on March 7 last year. We used the 1st 8 weeks of the walk/run teh half then jumped to the first 8 of r/w the half then started run the half in July and started run the full end ogf AUgust. That was probably pushing it a bit for starting at nothing, but we did it.

Mouse Skywalker
01-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Ah shoot, I just remembered my oldest daughter's birthday is January 6th. I was thinking DW and I could go for the marathon weekend next year, but we can't miss DD8's birthday. Well, there's plenty of time to work those details out I guess. Now, just gotta keep on walking.

gatorphipps
01-25-2006, 03:48 PM
WOW! We are a chatty group! So many posts, so little time. :teeth:

:welcome: To all the new folks! So glad you are joining the party: !
Helen - :cool1: :cool1: for your 5k time. You are doing GREAT!

Keri - So glad you are joining us! THis group will give you the love for this "free" sport! :smooth:

Judy - Just starting, puts you in big :dog: status! It is so AWESOME how far you have already come! You are so sweet! I hope to do 07 just to meet you!

Minnie - :wizard: :wizard: to you. Hope you figure out what is going on and it gets fixed quick!

Melissa - Maybe this means you have a great butt. Very cute picture!

Ran 5 miles this morning in 50 min. Then this afternoon I rode my bike on the road ( :lmao: ) to pick up DDs from school. They go to school @ our church where DH works...so the car was already there. Only 7.8 miles but VERY HILLY!

Hate to bring a sad note to the thread, but, got an email from Ron telling about another girl attacked in Charlotte. It is below with some good tips about being safe. Please read it and BE CAREFUL!
Christa
Below is an excerpt from the public media briefing on the sexual assault that occured last night near the intersection of Croydon and Queens Road West. We all have run by that spot many times. This case may be related to three other sexual assaults, including the one on East Blvd late last year. This shows it can happen in any neighborhood - the houses on this block are VERY expensive. Please pass this on to your friends, male and female - note the tips at the bottom of the briefing. I would strongly advise women NOT to run/walk alone, and that is not male chauvinism, just reality. Jeff and I saw a lone female runner this morning in Freedom Park, far away from any help should anything have happened.

I was in Charlotte Running Company a few weeks ago and they have a very small device you can carry that has a lanyard attached. Pull the lanyard and it emits a 120 dB sound - VERY loud. If you must run alone or even in pairs in the dark, it might be a good investment.

Of course the best plan is to always run in a group, it's safer and we love to share the misery, er, fun!

ron

================================================== ================

The latest incident occurred on January 24, 2006 between 8:30 and 8:40 p.m. The female victim was walking alone on Queens Rd. West and CroydonRd. when the suspect approached her from behind and grabbed her. The victim screamed and was able to turn around and kick her attacker. The vicitm was sexually assualted but was not raped. The victim was able to run to safety. The suspect ran on foot and was seen leaving the area in a large maroon colored pick up truck. The truck also had tinted windows and was described as having a loud muffler. The suspect is described as a Hispanic Male, approximately 5'8" tall, approximately 35 years of age, dark olive complexion, close-cut hair . He was last seen wearing jeans, white short sleeved t-shirt, with a dark colored sleeveless vest. He was described as nicely dressed.

The Sexual Assault Division is asking that you continue to share these prevention tips with our community.

You should walk or jog with a partner
Be aware of your surroundings and look confident
Stay in well lighted areas
Do not open the door for strangers
Be aware of cars that pull up next to you or pass you more than once
Report any suspicious persons to 911

MelRhoads
01-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Christa - did you get a bike?????? :cool1:

Honeibee
01-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Oh Christa - Thank you! :blush: I think of you often when I am in the dairy aisle at Stop & Shop. :teeth: Thank you for the support. I am in awe of the things you do, and to be honest, somewhat jealous. But also I find motivation in what you, and all the other WISHers do. :woohoo:

princessmomma
01-25-2006, 04:19 PM
AUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! What is wrong with me?? You have me checking flights for May 5 - 7. Maybe I could ask to go for mother's day???

:lmao: Too funny, when Jodi posted those $49 SW Ding fares for that weekend, I was off checking fares to MCO from Charlotte and Greensboro the Minnie weekend too.

Hmm, have we been bitten by the racing bug?

Christa, thanks for posting those reminders again! I am guilty of running solo. I usually do it after a send the kids off to school, but I should really carry something just in case.

Colleen

TiffJ
01-25-2006, 04:23 PM
I did 7 miles on the bike today. Don't remember how long it too. I was doing speed & hill intervals. I have an appointment Friday with one of the trainers at the gym. She is going to help me set up a routine & show me how to work all the equipment. I have just been going to the cardio side, have made it over to the weight side yet. I'm very excited to start strenght training (there goes that alien talk again )

Wow our group is really growing. Welcome everyone, this is a great place!

Minnie
01-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Drum Roll Please :rockband:

My lastest diagnosis is HIP BURSITIS.

The sports ortho gave me a cortizone shot in the hip and a px for Celebrex. He said that my back/rear end pain could actually be coming from the bursitis. I am supposed to give this a try and then if I am not any better in a couple weeks I will have to have an MRI of both areas to rule out other problems.

I'm off to ice my hip as it hurts!!!!!!!!

plutosmyfav
01-25-2006, 04:55 PM
I can't keep up!!!! Work is killing me. I keep checking in to speed read the posts but don't have time to reply. I've missed a bunch.

Welcome newbies :wave: You'll love it here.

Lisa-- when you said 40 lbs, were you refering to the leg press? Is it a free weight machine, or a nautilus where you set the pins? I ask because the free weight machines bar and deck are substantial weight unloaded. The press I use is 90 lbs unloaded. So if that's the case, maybe you did 130?

Cam-- I only do those ridiculous amounts on the leg press, not even the squat machine. I don't know what it is about that leg press. But I really need to cut back, my legs are a bit to, um, sturdy. I was shocked at photos of me at WDW in shorts.

Speaking of leg press... Today is Sore Butt Wednesday, which means tomorrow will be Even Sorer Butt Thursday! Oh its good to be back in the routine.

MelR-- what a riot! I guess she removed just the one blemish above the shoulders :lmao: The Boy looks like a chop off the ole block. What a great pic.

Oh you guys are killing me with the Minnie. I have held back the urge to check flights but I'm getting shakey.

Cathy-- those are great runners quotes. I identified with so many of them. It brought to mind one of the peculiarities I've noticed (there are so many): On LR days I can pop out of bed at 5AM without the need of an alarm clock, all my gear laid out and ready to go. But M-F I hit snooze until I'm 40 minutes late getting out of bed. Then the kids and I have to get ready "fire-fighter style", scrambling for clothes while brushing teeth.

"jump in your clothes and lets go"
"but Mom, I haven't finished my breakfast""grab your cereal bowl and get in the car"
"where's my lunch?"
"Good Grief, you need a lunch, too?!?!? grap a slim fast off my running supply shelf and let's go"

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: (just kidding, I'm exagerating... a little)

On another note, I have had to acknowledge a few subtle hints that my unmentioned body part needs a break from running for a few days. Little things like finding myself side-stepping down stairs and involuntarily screaming when DS bumps it. I'm listening, though. I did 50 minutes of elliptical trainer today. How boring. The only fun part is seeing how high I can spike the strides per minute readout. I managed 278 today. I looked like a raving lunatic. That's part of the fun.

Christa-- that is horrible news. I must admit I am getting kind of creeped out about runing alone. I have looked into local running clubs but they don't quite fit with my family schedule. I like the loud noise thing. I'll look into that.

Sunny

hockeygirl
01-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Honeibee-Have you checked out the Westchester Track Club Website, or the Taconic Road Runners --they are both local track clubs in Westchester and they have full lists of local races here in Westchester County. There is also a track club in Rockland County that sponsors a lot of races-I am not sure of the name of that club though.

I am actually looking to do a 5k race in February and there are quite a few local ones to choose from. I think I may try the Freezer 5K on Feb. 5 at FDR State Park in Yorktown.

Laura

WDWFAN9
01-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi All!

I am looking for suggestions for strength training.....I know I won't make it to a gym on a regular basis, so I am open to purchasing some type of machine, but which one? Or does someone use a DVD/tape that they particularly like? I am still seriously considering doing the full next January, but know that I will have to step it up to another level.

Any ideas???

plutosmyfav
01-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Pat

I am a huge fan of TaeBo and anything Billy Blanks puts out. His latest series, Billy's boot camp, uses resistance bands and is a killer strength workout. I highly recommend it. I also have a punching bag at home that is great for upperbody strength. Dumb bells are cheap. I've never invested in any big equipment like bow flex. Maybe someone else can comment on that stuff.

Good luck!

MelRhoads
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I can comment on that stuff. I have a Body Craft Gelena universal machine. I never use it!!!!!!! Tae Bo soundslike a better investment!!

plutosmyfav
01-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I can comment on that stuff. I have a Body Craft Gelena universal machine. I never use it!!!!!!! Tae Bo soundslike a better investment!!

Plus Billy is a lot cuter to look at :blush: and he says real nice things to you while you work out!

WDWFAN9
01-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Plus Billy is a lot cuter to look at :blush: and he says real nice things to you while you work out!

I am going to have to check it out!

Thanks.

gatorphipps
01-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Christa - did you get a bike?????? :cool1:
Not yet....Im cutting it close to my Tri aren't I? I have this crappy road?mountain bike thing that at any moment could fall apart. :lmao: I'm not kidding. But anyway..my B-day is coming up and I have told my whole family I need a SAFE bike, b/c I will ride no matter what.
Oh Christa - Thank you! I think of you often when I am in the dairy aisle at Stop & Shop. Thank you for the support. I am in awe of the things you do, and to be honest, somewhat jealous. But also I find motivation in what you, and all the other WISHers do.
I feel honored to be thought of while you are around dairy! :rotfl2:
Christa

plutosmyfav
01-25-2006, 11:27 PM
What did I miss about the dairy???

I had a chance to go to the Y after putting DS to bed. They have some new toys I never tried before. I did the arc trainer on several different settings. That was fun. And a standing bicycle thingy, I forget the name but it felt like running in slow motion. Next time I'll bring Chariots of Fire on my mp3 player! So for the day I ended up with 130 minutes of cardio without stepping on a TM. Yahoo.

Sunny

TXBelle
01-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Just a quick note to say hello. Welcome to all the new faces! :wave:

In response to the questions about training and running and walking, etc. I was never a runner in my life. I trained in 2004 for the 1/2 marathon by walking as part of this group. I started walking around 20:30 minutes per mile and ended up after training right at 16:30 minute miles. The longest I ever walked was six miles and my training was on-again, off-again. I walked the 1/2 marathon in 2005 and barely kept from being swept outside the MK around mile 10. I finished the race and got my Donald medal, but they turned off the mats before I crossed the line so I did not have an official time. I vowed to train better and harder in 2005 and come back strong in 2006. I stayed on this thread and trained with this group once again. I started in January by walking 4 minutes/running 1 minute, which about killed me at first. Then, by May, I was walking 3 minutes/running 2 minutes and found that I actually could derive joy from running. In August I tried to make the transition to run 3 minutes/walk 2 minutes, but I kept getting injured because I was taking on too much too fast. I stuck with walk 3/run 2 and used that interval throughout the 1/2 marathon a few weeks ago. I finished in 3:11, which was 30 minutes faster than 2005.

This year, I am planning to add more running to my training. I have started doing run 3/walk 2 but for shorter periods of time and at a slower speed in order to avoid injury. I know that I have 8 months to get where I need to be for the DL 1/2 marathon and 11 months to get ready for the marathon at WDW. My ultimate goal is to be able to run 4/walk 1.

I know that deciding to train and then starting to train can be very exciting, but everyone needs to be careful not to overdo it and get injured. Slow and steady is the best way to start, especially if it has been a while since you have done any significant physical exercise. Ultimately, the key to the 1/2 marathon and the marathon are endurance. By slowly building up the miles and slowly increasing your speed, your body will adapt and learn to go further, longer. If you try to do too much too soon, that will lead to injury and fatigue and disappointment.

So if you are asking yourself, can I really do this? Can I walk a 1/2 marathon? Yes, you can. Is the WDW marathon a great place to start? Absolutely. The course is basically flat and you're in WDW. What could be better? I highly recommend the 1/2 marathon for those starting out, and I highly recommend this thread for motivation, training tips, and friendship. :grouphug:

Carrie- Did I miss something or did you say that you and DH will be doing the marathon again next year?! Glad to hear it. I am signed up for the marathon in 2007 also.

Okay, truth time . . . Who is thinking of going Goofy in 2007? I almost signed up for it, but I chickened out and just signed up for the marathon. I just keep thinking "You only live once." Does anyone know if registration will be similar to last year, such that if you sign up for both races you are eligible for the Goofy? I noticed that they have a separate Goofy registration this year. Do you think if I decide to go Goofy, I can simply register for the 1/2 too or do I have to contact WDW Sports and change my registration from the full to the Goofy?

I went to a women's bike maintenance class tonight. I learned how to change a flat tire and how to care for my bike. I have a 27 mile training ride on Saturday, then a 20 mile charity ride on Sunday. I sure hope the weather is nice. I have decided to go forward with the MS150 bike ride. I made a commitment to my team and to the MS Society. I need to live up to that commitment. I will train when I have time and do the best that I can. :moped:

Melissa-Loved the picture of the boy in the paper! He sure looks comfortable on the bike now. I am so glad that you two can share your love of cycling.

Okay, this post is way too long and I have to be at work early tomorrow. Plus, tomorrow is DH's birthday. :cake: Better get some rest.

MelRhoads
01-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Heather - In 2006 they had a separate place on-line for Goofy registration, but they also allowed people to add the 1/2 or the full to what they had already registered to do goofy. I think you should do it!!!!! The only bad thing is that if everyone signs up for goofy, who can we look forward to seeing in the cheering sections???!!!! I'm pretty sure I'll do the full next yr, but not goofy again. I was thinking that would give me more time to play. I didn't get to ride very much the week we were there (and I only have one!!) I'm going to try to get my parents to go next yr so that phil can do the full too. If my mom would do the 1/2 with me, I'd do goofy, but when i asked her, she just laughed and said she wasn't walking 13 miles! Our roles have really reversed. When i was a kid all i would do is wear dresses and ruffles and my mom was a cable splicer and pole climber for the phone company. she used to beg me to do something athletic, but i had no interest. now i'm always doing races and she thinks they are crazy!

Mouse Skywalker
01-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Good Morning All: Yesterday I walked 2 miles on the treadmill in 30 mins. It was a quick pace, but it felt really good. Heather, I really appreciate your comments about not overdoing it and doing too much too fast. I'm intentially holding myself back a little until I put some more miles in. I want to continue to walk 2 miles at a 15 min pace for at least another week or so before I start any running. I really want to build my legs up some more and not get injured. Heather I also wanted to congratulate you on doing the MS150 bike ride. I have someone in my family with MS, and I've known a lot of other people with MS and I really admire you for doing it. Good luck!!

DisneyGirl
01-26-2006, 07:34 AM
I can't stay long because I have a meeting in like 5 minutes, but I wanted to make a quick post!

First, Heather-- I think your story is sooo motivating-- it really shows how dedication and hard work can pay off!!! Thanks for sharing it!

Second, after taking several days off from being sick (I still am sick) I had to get back on track-- I was up at about 4:30 ready to go (but I won't run in the dark and my gym doesn't open until 5:30!) So, I finally made it to the gym, and my plan was to do 1/2 of what was planned today in my training schedule (20 minutes). Well, not only did I make the entire workout, but it was going so well, that I actually increased my speed halfway through!! I'm amazed-- when I'm perfectly healthy, sometimes it's so tough to get through, yet, today, I end up with negative splits. Go figure!

Oh-- and my Garmin 301 came yesterday!! Yeah!! I can't wait to try it out this weekend!!

TiffJ
01-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Calling all Tri geeks!!!!! I need help with my training schedule. Trying to combine tri training with training for Minnie and add some strength training. There aren't enough days in the week!

This is the lenght of my tri: 200m swim, 8.5 mile bike, 2 mile run. Bike is my strength, so do you think that I would be o.k. only doing 1 day a week for biking? Once it stays light longer I can prob add some onto swim days. Right now I have 2 days/week swim. But this is my big time weakness. I think I need to squeeze in 3. But for this short distance is 2 ok? Would it hurt to sometimes swim on my LR day or the day after LR (which would mean I dont get a day off )

The run is more than covered by my Minnie training. Also as it gets closer I plan on doing some bricks, esp with biking & running. I am still doing 3 days/wk walk/running. This puts me down to 1 day/wk off after my LR.

So how many days a week to you throw in strength training? I am taking my tenative training schedule with me tomorrow when I meet with the personal trainer at the gym. Hopefully she can help me tweek it, but I dont know her experience with endurance training.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I know there are a couple of us doing tri's and Minnie, what are you guys doing?

Mouse Skywalker- Great job!!! Keep it up, but you are right, dont push too hard so you can avoid injury.

Heather-good luck on the 150!

Minnie- hope you get better! That shot should kick in soon.

budbeerlady
01-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Really silly question, but I need some help! When do you find the time to workout/train. Do you get up early, do it at night after work? Are you in the gym, at home or outside?
Here is my deal. I have a VERY hard time doing anything with out a goal. So getting to go to wdw as a reward will be a heck of a motivator for me. I read some posts about people walking the 1/2 marathon, and I thought hey I could probley do that in time. So I was thinking maybe the 2007 or maybe 2008 doing it. But I dont really know where to start aside from discussing it with the Doc on my Feb visit to make sure everything is okay to start really getting into something. (High Blood Pressure, I'm sure walking wont be a big deal but I thought also he might have some suggestions) I live in the frozen midwest, jn the country. So gyms arent really as option as they are about 45min away. Walking outside would work when it isnt snowing. Then where do you find all the time to do it? Please just give me an outline of what you do

Honeibee
01-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Good morning everyone. :wave2:

First off let me just say that I KNOW how pathetic this is going to sound to everyone who is going Goofy and doing tri's...but for the first time since my operation, well, in fact for the first time since I can't remember when...I JOGGED on the TM this morning! :woohoo: :yay: :banana: OK, don't get too excited because it was only for a few minutes but hey...I'm thrilled! :cheer2: I was nervous about my "new" knee, but it was fine. Well, actually both my knees have been moaning since I got off the TM. They are both like "***!?!?! You HAVE to loose 30 pounds before we will even THINK about doing this!" I shut them up though, telling them OK OK, fine.

Anyway, despite the minor protests from my knees, which really wasn't pain, more like fatigue, I'm very very happy about this! :teeth: Good to know that in case of imminent death I can at least get out of the way. :lmao:

Minnie - No no no! How are you going to RIDE with a hip issue!?!?!?!?! I hope the shot kicks in and you are ready to go soon! :wizard:

Laura - I didn't even KNOW there was a Westchester Track Club! Thanks for the info! Wow, FDR Park! That's not too far from me! :thumbsup2

Sunny - See my post #30. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=11131949#post11131949 :rotfl:

Budbeerlady - Finding time was the hardest thing for me too. So, I just set my alarm earlier. I KNOW I won't stick with it if I tried to do it after work. We always have too much going on. So this way I am up and on the TM before anyone annoys me or something comes up or I find an excuse. Some days I swear I am not even awake until I push the start button. However, I don't know how getting up at 4:45am would help you if you have to walk outside. Is getting a treadmill an option? Keep us posted and hang around here for a tremendous amount of support and inspiration. :grouphug:

Judy

magslite
01-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Really silly question, but I need some help! When do you find the time to workout/train. Do you get up early, do it at night after work? Are you in the gym, at home or outside?
Here is my deal. I have a VERY hard time doing anything with out a goal. So getting to go to wdw as a reward will be a heck of a motivator for me. I read some posts about people walking the 1/2 marathon, and I thought hey I could probley do that in time. So I was thinking maybe the 2007 or maybe 2008 doing it. But I dont really know where to start aside from discussing it with the Doc on my Feb visit to make sure everything is okay to start really getting into something. (High Blood Pressure, I'm sure walking wont be a big deal but I thought also he might have some suggestions) I live in the frozen midwest, jn the country. So gyms arent really as option as they are about 45min away. Walking outside would work when it isnt snowing. Then where do you find all the time to do it? Please just give me an outline of what you do

I was wondering the same thing. How do you all find time to do all the training that you do.

Sunny, Mel, Christa and others - How are you fitting those long workouts into your schedules?

Maggie

Jodi
01-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Judy & Cam - Thanks for the WW info, turns out my sister had all these books & such from meeting she's attended. I started yesterday & had no trouble eating my 20 allotted points. It wasn't that bad, but I didn't workout yesterday. I'll let you know what happens today when I get back from the gym. I'll prolly eat all my flex points in one shot tonight, lol. But don't I get more points to eat if I exercise?

I haven't run at all since I got back from the 1/2. I tried a few days afterwards & my knees were screamin', so I figured I'd do the right thing & try & let them heal up. It's driving me nuts not running. I feel like I'm going to "lose" every bit of running stamina I gained. I'm going to give it another week b4 I hit the road.

I have been going crazy cardio @ the gym, though. Ellipitical, arc trainer, stairmaster(heinous). Has anyone ever heard of Jacob's Ladder? This machine is WICKED. Always feel lightheaded & nauseous after 30mins. on this thing.

Melissa - absolutely love the picture of boy & your butt! Did you sign up for the Minnie thingie yet? I got my plane tickets, reserved my room w/ DVC points @ OKW last night, & plan to sign up on-line for the 15k today! I have no idea how I'm going to pay for this trip, but... :confused3 I can't wait!

Colleen - Did you sign up for Minnie?

Sunny - Did you miss my post about the cheap fares on SW yesterday out of Hartford? You live in Mass, right? Do you fly out of Bradley or Logan? You've got to go to the MINI!!

Whoever doesn't have DING from SW airlines on their computer, sign up for it today, it can save you tons of $!

So who all is going to MINI? Is there a meet b'fast/dinner/anything planned yet?

I gotta go work now, imagine that?

Jodi

Honeibee
01-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Jodi - Oh that was lucky! And good for you! ::yes:: The thing I love best about WW is that tracking makes me so aware of what and how much I am eating. You'll be thrilled with it, I am sure. Don't forget to drink water too! :teeth:

DisneyGirl
01-26-2006, 10:50 AM

I have a very time-intensive job, so I get up at 4:45 three days a week to work out, but I have a gym that opens at 5:30 that I can go to-- as an alternative on snowy days, would investing in a good treadmill be an option for you?

In addition to that, I try to get to the gym for classes at night two of those days a week (hardly ever happens because I can never leave work early enough :worried: ), I cross-train for 3 hours on Saturday and do my long runs on Sunday-- I really use the weekends because I can get away with not working those days :teeth: ) I don't have kids or a family, so I can do this, though-- I would imagine adding those in would change things.

gatorphipps
01-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Calling all Tri geeks!!!!! I need help with my training schedule. Trying to combine tri training with training for Minnie and add some strength training. There aren't enough days in the week!

This is the lenght of my tri: 200m swim, 8.5 mile bike, 2 mile run. Bike is my strength, so do you think that I would be o.k. only doing 1 day a week for biking? Once it stays light longer I can prob add some onto swim days. Right now I have 2 days/week swim. But this is my big time weakness. I think I need to squeeze in 3. But for this short distance is 2 ok? Would it hurt to sometimes swim on my LR day or the day after LR (which would mean I dont get a day off )

The run is more than covered by my Minnie training. Also as it gets closer I plan on doing some bricks, esp with biking & running. I am still doing 3 days/wk walk/running. This puts me down to 1 day/wk off after my LR.

So how many days a week to you throw in strength training? I am taking my tenative training schedule with me tomorrow when I meet with the personal trainer at the gym. Hopefully she can help me tweek it, but I dont know her experience with endurance training.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I know there are a couple of us doing tri's and Minnie, what are you guys doing?
I work from home, so I can plan work around my work outs. Sometimes works sometimes does not. Anyway..I try to plan the biking around things like picking up my DDs from school (like I said, the car is there b/c DH works there. I am keeping up my miles too...Just b/c I don't want to retrain so Bree and I do LRs on Fridays after I drop off DDs and b/4 any meetings I may have. I have been trying to bike 2x swim 2x and run 2x (with one of these a LR. I am working out more now than when I just ran. At first, dropping to 2 runs a week freaked me out, but the LRs are just as hard/easy as they ever were so I don't see a diff.
First off let me just say that I KNOW how pathetic this is going to sound to everyone who is going Goofy and doing tri's...but for the first time since my operation, well, in fact for the first time since I can't remember when...I JOGGED on the TM this morning! OK, don't get too excited because it was only for a few minutes but hey...I'm thrilled!
Judy - You need to be thrilled! This is AWESOME! Never think anyone is going to look down on you here. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: for you! And pixiedust: for your knees! THis is a huge step. The 1st time I ran, I went a mile and thought I was going to DIE! And I had 2 good knees that had never been replaced. :worship:

Jodi - Good luck on WW! It is the only thing that works for me. Make sure you eat all 20 points. Sometimes I skimp, but then pay for it later by being VERY hungry...OK I am always hungry! I love food! This is one reason I run. ::yes::
Christa

hmgolden
01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Judy - congrats! That's great! Your knees and my knees can get together and have a woe is us party :) I've never had good knees and there are some days that they just threaten to give up - that's when I know its time to go do some strength training on my arms. I have noticed they are becoming more tolerant, I just have to take it slow.

I go to the gym and do the treadmil either after work or when there's a TV show on that I want to watch. If I don't go to the gym, I won't let myself watch the show. So far (for the past month and a half or so) its been working :) I have a tendency to sleep until the very last possible minute so I know that getting myself up in the morning wouldn't last too long.

Jodi
01-26-2006, 11:24 AM
I work from home, so I can plan work around my work outs. Sometimes works sometimes does not. Anyway..I try to plan the biking around things like picking up my DDs from school (like I said, the car is there b/c DH works there. I am keeping up my miles too...Just b/c I don't want to retrain so Bree and I do LRs on Fridays after I drop off DDs and b/4 any meetings I may have. I have been trying to bike 2x swim 2x and run 2x (with one of these a LR. I am working out more now than when I just ran. At first, dropping to 2 runs a week freaked me out, but the LRs are just as hard/easy as they ever were so I don't see a diff.

Judy - You need to be thrilled! This is AWESOME! Never think anyone is going to look down on you here. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: for you! And pixiedust: for your knees! THis is a huge step. The 1st time I ran, I went a mile and thought I was going to DIE! And I had 2 good knees that had never been replaced. :worship:

Jodi - Good luck on WW! It is the only thing that works for me. Make sure you eat all 20 points. Sometimes I skimp, but then pay for it later by being VERY hungry...OK I am always hungry! I love food! This is one reason I run. ::yes::
Christa

Christa - Do I get x-tra points for exercising? How long do you think it'll take me to lose 10 lbs.??? :bounce: :bounce:

Jodi

Jodi
01-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Jodi - Oh that was lucky! And good for you! ::yes:: The thing I love best about WW is that tracking makes me so aware of what and how much I am eating. You'll be thrilled with it, I am sure. Don't forget to drink water too! :teeth:

I should have gills w/ the amount of water i consume :rotfl: Thanks!!

Jodi

plutosmyfav
01-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Christa you are too funny!(your siggie pic) Is that where the dairy reference came from! :thumbsup2 :lmao:

WDWFAN9
01-26-2006, 12:07 PM

Hi!

I am not a morning person, so I walk on a TM in the evenings - I hear you about walking outside in yucky weather. It would be too easy for me to find excuses if I had to go outside, it'd either be too hot, too cold, or too dark - so the TM is perfect for me. I walk during a TV show and time passes quickly, and occassionally I talk on the phone too. The WDW half was my motivation when I started a year ago, and the slow but sure method did work for me. I finished in time and have a beautiful Donald medal that is now hanging on the TM where I see it while I walk. I am planning on adding a castle medal (DL Sept half) so that is my motivation now. It really is possible to do this, and the support and encouragement on this board continue to be amazing!

budbeerlady
01-26-2006, 12:16 PM
So, I havent yet bought this MFM book, money is tight! but I am steadily using the TM and plan on increasing! ANY SUGGESTIONS? as far as increasing? should I go for miles or minutes. what would the author of MFM say to do at this point?

:
Can someone fill me in what is the MFM books full title? I am slowly reading through this thread and getting filled in. Thanks for the info!

Sorry finally read it, marathons for mortals, cute.

plutosmyfav
01-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Judy-- thanks for clearing up the dairy issue. I was still in WDW when you posted that!!!!

As for fitting fitness into my life, well it basically IS my life. I have a gym at work so I use my lunch hour to work out. I have a family membership at the Y now, so I go to the Y after DS (5) is in bed. I used to do my LRs starting 30-45 minutes before the sun came up so as not to inconvenience the family too much. And prior to having the Y membership I did alot of Tae Bo at home when nothing else seemed to work. I also have a punching bag and a wide assortment of weights, a balance ball, and a jump rope. When I take my son to the park I sometimes bring my jump rope so I'm not sittle idle, or I play with him and find ways to hang form the structures to work my arms. It takes a lot of creativity sometimes!!!!!!

OK, if you see me here again before 6PM tell me to GO AWAY! I need to be working...

Sunny

budbeerlady
01-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Has anyone done the other WDW events like the race for the taste 10k or any others? Any idea how many participants they allow? I am thinking this might be a better start WDW for me as they dont require a proof of time like the 1/2 does?

keenercam
01-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi, everyone! ACK!!! My job is having a very negative effect on my DISing these days! :sad:

I wanted to respond real quick to a couple of things:

Honeibee -- Congratulations on jogging!! That is so awesome! I cannot wait to see you zip by me next year during the 1/2. Just be sure to slow down long enough to high-five me, okay! :goodvibes: :thumbsup2

budbeerlady -- Can I make a suggestion? I spent much of the early part of last year doing Walk Away the Pounds videos in my basement nights or monrings. At first, I was too self-conscious to go to the gym but there were also times when I just didn't have time to go, and those videos helped in a lot of ways. First, I was burning calories. Second, I was using a lot of the muscle groups I'd have to use when I really started training. Third, they were specific time and distance duration, and I found those to be accurate.

BTW, mfm is Marathoning for Mortals. I loved it and am now really enjoying The Courage to Start by the same author - John Bingham, one of my heroes whom I had the pleasure of meeting at WDW marathon weekend. I even have autographs in my well-read copy of mfm and on my stuffed penguin to remember him and Coach Jenny by.

Jodi -- So glad you have your WW materials. Yes, you do earn activity points for working out. I think it is 1 AP for each 100 calories burned.

Christa -- That picture does NOTHING to help my out of control appetite! :teeth:

Okay, so I went to the gym last night and the only equipment available was the recumbent bike, so I did that for 20 minutes. Then, off to stand in line to get into the yoga/pilates class. Can I just say, I am not sure this is the thing for me. The first part of the class, as I struggled to "come to heart center" while posing on one foot or to maintain some arch or table position, all I could think of was "When I get home I have to . . . " or "Wow, this is hard, how do these people get in these positions" or "if I close my eyes I will fall over" and finally, and best "okay, I do not feel like I am burning calories. WHen do we start burning calories. Geez, I could spend this hour working up a sweat on the elliptical for goodness sake. I can't waste an hour NOT burning calories!" All the while, I was just BAD at getting my body to do the things the instructor was doing! :worship: THEN, she says "okay, now that you are relaxed :eek: , we will move into the DIFFICULT part, pilates." What!?!?!?! :scared1: NOw we'll move onto DIFFICULT? What was THAT? :faint:

Needless to say, when the hour was over, I felt as if I had worked out but didn't have that satisfied soaked clothes, sweat dripping off my hair feeling that I find so satisfying! :rotfl2: I do, however, feel muscles today that I didn't know existed and I know that as I continue the exercises I will develop muscle tone and become more proficient. So, I'll go back next week, especially since no one laughed at me and there were a LOT of people who struggled with each different move/pose.

Sorry so long.

Back to work! I,like Sunny, should not be here! But I miss you guys so much!!! :hug:

By the way, wouldn't it be cool if this little guy ---> :dumbo: had a feather? Isn't he darling?

littlegreydonkey
01-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey all - long time no post. I've been lurking and it's cool to see everyone getting geared up, I was being grumpy and whiney and hating running, so figured I'd stay away, but it looks like I'm back. Did a 5k the other night and for the first time since I returned I thought, this is fun and picked up the pace. Last night went back to the gym and did intervals on the treadmill for a while and got up to a 14km top speed (considering I ran the marathon at about 8kph that's pretty good I thought!!!).

It is taking every ounce of self control I have though not to enrol for Goofy and just break the bad news to Tim after I've done it. I just keep repeating it's only 710 days until you can do it, look how fast last year went. I even asked people about the dates of the marathons here which is worrying me -I said I'd only ever do WDW.

Budbeerlady (I think I should change my name to anybeerlady), you ask how you fit it all in, you just kind of do when you're training for an event. I'd been running with people (which really helps you do it) for 2-3 years until I started training properly for the full last year, but would always put my work first. Only now I"m back and in the real world again do I realise that I'm sending emails to my clients apologising for not contacting them since November - the running took priority over anything I didn't HAVE to do. I didn't realise it at the time - probably another good reason not to do Goofy next year, I might not have a business left.

Anyway, that's me for today, hopefully I'll pop in a bit more regularly now. Helen

MelRhoads
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Cam - You are hillarious!!!!! EC is sitting on my couch and I had to read your post to her. She said she is totally with you on that

Judy - Way to go!!!!! You are getting hard core!!

Christa - That pic is a scream!!! I love it! I hope you get your new bike b/4 the race!!!!

budbeerlady - I work out while the boy is in preschool. I have to let some of the house stuff go sometimes!!! I'm like sunny, it pretty much consumes my recreational time. Thankfully, my husband enjoys doing things outside and we get to do alot together or tag team with each other while one watches the boy. The boy is pretty cooperative with our schedule as well. One of the biggest motivaters is that we have friends who are basically in the same stage of life who like to do the same things as we do and we can sometimes share a babysitter to go outside and play!

Tiff - I don't think it is a big deal to cut your running days back. I actually used a 3 day/week running schedule to train for goofy as i did 3 adventure races and 1 100 mile bike ride during my training. There was no way i could run 5 days /week and have enough time to do the other stuff. The 3/week program was in runners world mag.

Sunny - I'm not telling you to go away if i catch you back early!!!!

Jodi - I didn't sign up yet! I just am not sure about the $$$$$$!!! I want to but I'm not sure i can justify traveling thousands of miles to run 9?? I really would like to do it though!!

Helen - Glad to see you back!!! I've been missing you.

Today EC and I ran trails and hills for 2 hours. We moved pretty slow, but it was something!

DisneyGirl
01-26-2006, 02:48 PM
"okay, I do not feel like I am burning calories. WHen do we start burning calories. Geez, I could spend this hour working up a sweat on the elliptical for goodness sake. I can't waste an hour NOT burning calories!"

This is why I can't do Yoga!!! I just can't get over the fact that I feel like I'm not doing anything whatsoever!! Plus, even if I can get over that, I just can't concentrate and keep thinking of all of the stuff I have to do!

I have very little flexibility, though, which I know can lead to injury, so I've compromised with myself, and now take at least one pilates class a week-- I can still get the stretching, but along with lots of abs, which my overactive mind has decided is beneficial ::yes::

Honeibee
01-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Budbeerlady....I forgot to mention what also worked for me....First off just registering for the Half was a heck of a motivator. It's already paid for, so that helps.

Plus I would DIE of embarrassment (See my tagline) if I got swept, so thats a great motivator for me! :thumbsup2

Also I read all I can get my hands on about training. Helps my mindset. :teeth:

But probably the best motivator for me is the fact that only this past summer I could not walk at all (I totally blew out my ACL falling off a horse) and I spend WEEKS before and after my surgery in a leg immobilizer. Yes, try THAT in the summer heat and humidity. It ain't pretty. :crazy2: Anyway, I clearly remember how it felt to not be mobile so I am SO HAPPY and GRATEFUL that I even CAN walk that I don't complain and whine when I train. I'm just happy to be able to do it at all! :hyper:

While these motivators may not all work or apply to you, this is just what works for me. ::yes::

Judy

msblrobs
01-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Dup post

msblrobs
01-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Has anyone done the other WDW events like the race for the taste 10k or any others? Any idea how many participants they allow? I am thinking this might be a better start WDW for me as they dont require a proof of time like the 1/2 does?

I did Race for the Taste 10K last October. I believe, but don't quote me, that there were about 1700 people. I think it differs on the race as to how many people they allow. I didn't have to submit a proof of time. It was a really 'casual' race compared to the 1/2. We just lined up at WWOS and took off at 7:00 a.m.

Budbeerlady - I get up at 4:00 a.m. 7 days a week. I am on the treadmill for at least an hour by 4:30 a.m. I go to the Y on my lunch hour to lift weights. I take a pilates class after work. With 3 kids, I have to squeeze it in when it doesn't take time away from my family.

I'm STILL recovering from the nagging cold, it's getting real old, so my workouts have been limited to weights and elliptical training. I WILL run outside this weekend. Clear roads in NY during January are just too tempting.

Cam - :rotfl2: about the pilates class!!

Welcome to all new members!! I have been semi-absent on this site due to work also lately but hope to lurk every once in a while. Accounting+ January+ Auditors = VERY busy.

gatorphipps
01-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Christa - Do I get x-tra points for exercising? How long do you think it'll take me to lose 10 lbs.??? :bounce: :bounce:

Jodi
Jodi - YOU SO DO GET POINTS FOR EXERCISING! :cool1: It depends on your weight, the type of exercise and how long.

Cam - understand the pilates thing...I took my 1st after the Charlotte marathon. It helped me to fight off some of the soreness...but I also feel like with limited time, I need to be sweating! :scared:

Glad everyone liked my pic! :lmao: This is the real me...this is why I run/bike/swim!
Christa

Minnie
01-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I am REALLY down today as the cortizone shot has made my hip/back hurt worse than ever. I called the DR's office and was told that his is normal :scared1: and to expect not to feel any relief for a couple days :worried:

Anyone ever have one of these :confused:

budbeerlady
01-26-2006, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=keenercam]Hi, everyone! ACK!!!
Then, off to stand in line to get into the yoga/pilates class. Can I just say, I am not sure this is the thing for me. The first part of the class, as I struggled to "come to heart center" while posing on one foot or to maintain some arch or table position, all I could think of was "When I get home I have to . . . " or "Wow, this is hard, how do these people get in these positions" or "if I close my eyes I will fall over" and finally, and best "okay, I do not feel like I am burning calories. WHen do we start burning calories. Geez, I could spend this hour working up a sweat on the elliptical for goodness sake. I can't waste an hour NOT burning calories!" All the while, I was just BAD at getting my body to do the things the instructor was doing! :worship: THEN, she says "okay, now that you are relaxed :eek: , we will move into the DIFFICULT part, pilates." What!?!?!?! :scared1: NOw we'll move onto DIFFICULT? What was THAT? :faint:

Needless to say, when the hour was over, I felt as if I had worked out but didn't have that satisfied soaked clothes, sweat dripping off my hair feeling that I find so satisfying! :rotfl2: I do, however, feel muscles today that I didn't know existed and I know that as I continue the exercises I will develop muscle tone and become more proficient. So, I'll go back next week, especially since no one laughed at me and there were a LOT of people who struggled with each different move/pose.

[QUOTE]

That is why I love my Yoga class!!!! I am not really that hip on sweating much, I know that is gonna change. Plus I am all for any exercise that allows you to lay in the dark for 20 min at the end!!! :faint:

crzy4pooh
01-26-2006, 03:49 PM
TiffJ - I was trying to figure out the same thing as far as tri-training. All the charts I've seen have only 2 running days, but I think to stay ready for Minnie I will need 3 days. Swimming is definitely my weak point, so that has to be 2 - 3 days a week, and I'm not sure what to do about the bike. I'm going to have to go to a morning workout with one thing, and an evening workout with another for a couple days a week I think. In another month or so, I think I will be able to bike to the pool, swim, then bike back - not ready for that yet, though! :faint: I'd love to hear more opinions on this!

Budbeerlady - DH and I have done several races at Disney - Race for the Cure 5K is in October (have done twice), Race for the Taste 10K is the same weekend in October (both did once), DH has also done the Kidney Foundation 5K which is in March this year. I think the number they allow varies by the race, but I don't remember any of those filling up. The half only requires proof of time if you want to be in a better corral placement (closer to the front.)

Judy - CONGRATS on running!!!!! That is a huge accomplishment!!! :thumbsup2

I'm so pumped from my swim lesson today - I finally had that light-bulb-moment when it all seemed to click!!! Yea!!! After the lesson, my instructor asked me why I decided to do a tri, and I got to share my story which is like so many of yours. It's all about doing what you thought was impossible, believing in yourself and your dreams, and accomplishing your goals. Woo-Hoo!!! :teeth:

Happy training!!!! pixiedust:

plutosmyfav
01-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Helen-- so glad to see you! Even if you don't do Goofy this year you just gotta hang out with us :goodvibes And I'm glad running has seduced you back! I know what you mean about work. I've discovered I have several months of things left undone... Its kind of like waking up from a dream... where was I all that time?

shhh I'm not really here. Work is bugging me so I thought it I ignored it, it might go away...

Cam-- I totally understand the yoga thing. The way I look at Pilates and Yoga is an extra session of stretching when time permits. It really is good for you, but I agree, I want to get my sweat's worth when I exercise!

Sara-- so sorry to hear the cold hasn't gone away.

Christa-- I totally relate to what you said about "the real me". When people marvel at my commitment to exercising I tell them I'd rather workout around the clock than give up my food! The real you is the athlete who needs kitchen sinks to keep going :teeth: :goodvibes

Judy-- awsome job on getting the jog. I totally relate to what you said about being grateful to move. I was put on bedrest for the last 8 weeks of my second preg. I gained so much weight and was so depressed by the end of it. I remember how wonderful it felt to be able to move again. We should never, never, take it for granite.

I suppose if I close this screen that pesky work is still going to be sitting there. :badpc:

Sunny

keenercam
01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Sunny -- Get back to work!

Okay, now you say it back to me. We'll both feel better, in a bizarre sort of way! :rotfl:

magslite
01-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing how you all find time to exercise! I had been wondering how you all do it.

In the beginning of MFM it asks what your greatest obstacles will be, and having 3 kids and a job are at the top of my list.

Sunny, I like your idea of staying active when you are with your kids. I have found that I no longer am content to just sit and watch them play. I want to be moving too.

Judy, great job on your run!

Maggie

MelRhoads
01-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Sunny and Cam - Stay out and play ;)

Tiff - I forgot to tell you. One of the things I do when I'm training for multiple events is to do two things in 1 day. If i go to the gym, i generally run and then swim (one of them may be short, but i do both) If the weather permits, I'll ride and run or run and ride. I also trail run/mt. bike some. I've found i really like the slow easy ride after a long run. It is almost like a soothing stretching session. I really don't know much about the tri's though, I've only done 1 (i just know about multi-discipline races like adventure races :crazy: :crazy: )

I keep playing and it is cutting into my nap time (whaaaaaaa :charac2:

Helen - look what i found!:tigger:

Skywalker - here is one for you!:yoda:

Where did all these funny new smiles come from? There was a smile with a cigarette yesterday, but he's gone today

keenercam
01-26-2006, 04:50 PM
I really, really want this guy to have a feather! :dumbo: Then he could be our mascot.

sara
01-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I am REALLY down today as the cortizone shot has made my hip/back hurt worse than ever. I called the DR's office and was told that his is normal :scared1: and to expect not to feel any relief for a couple days :worried:

Anyone ever have one of these :confused:

:wave: I've had those shots before. :( Along with iso...something at PT. It puts the meds in through electrodes. :confused3 Don't know much about it but, it works!!!

Honestly, with the shots I felt great! Probably, because they put marcaine (numbing medicine) in with the cortisone. I did notice after PT, I would get flare ups for a day or two. ICE, ICE and ICE. Hang in there!!!

All this pilates talk, I love it, too. Definately not good for my ADD. After 30 min. the grocery list starts up!!! :crazy:

Christa, great picture!!! :rotfl:

Got to go!

Sara

gradtchr
01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Thank you so much for the motivation today. I wanted to stay home today and not work out but reading what everyone has been doing I'm getting up off my tail end and will be at the gym putting in my training. :)

Mouse Skywalker
01-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Melissa Thanks for the smilie! :yoda:

OK, I thought it might be appropriate to share the name of our two cats was Ben and Jerry (Jerry has since passed on). My DW and I wanted to give them a name that reflected one of our hobbies or interests - we came up with ice cream.

You guys are getting me hooked. I'm travelling today and in Columbus, OH to give a talk at OSU, and I find myself checking to see if the hotel has a fitness room I can work out in. They do... I'm going to try to do my 1/2 hour, 2 mile walk again after dinner. We'll see if that works.

hockeygirl
01-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Minnie-I had a cortisone shot several times a couple of years ago for my ankle that was bothering me. Anyhow, it would feel better for a couple of weeks and then would gradually start bothering me again, until I started going to PT and learned some exercises to do for it. Eventually, my ankle felt great and no more cortisone shots!!

Judy-great to hear that you were able to jog!! Keep with it!!

Laura

WDWFAN9
01-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Melissa Thanks for the smilie! :yoda:

OK, I thought it might be appropriate to share the name of our two cats was Ben and Jerry (Jerry has since passed on). My DW and I wanted to give them a name that reflected one of our hobbies or interests - we came up with ice cream.

You guys are getting me hooked. I'm travelling today and in Columbus, OH to give a talk at OSU, and I find myself checking to see if the hotel has a fitness room I can work out in. They do... I'm going to try to do my 1/2 hour, 2 mile walk again after dinner. We'll see if that works.

Hey! My DS is a freshman at OSU, what kind of talk were you giving? The Capital City Half Marathon on April 1st goes around the OSU campus if you are going to be back in the area. DS and I are walking it together.

MelRhoads
01-26-2006, 07:41 PM
I feel so ashamed!!!! I consider myself a chocolate expert. While my expertise is self-proclaimed, it is rarely questioned!! I am doubting my abilities. I thought I knew everything about chocolate, and yet, I have never seen nor heard of the "kitchen sink." Everyone else seems to be in the know. Have I failed? or is it some secret inside Disney knowledge? Please help me! I have to be good at something!

Mouse Skywalker
01-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Pat: I'm a neuroscientist, and I was giving a talk for the Psychobiology and Behavioral Neuroscience graduate program.

Melissa: Isn't the "kitchen sink" some big ice cream dessert at Beaches and Cream? I've never been there - just read about it on these boards.

chimera
01-26-2006, 08:41 PM
I feel so ashamed!!!! I consider myself a chocolate expert. While my expertise is self-proclaimed, it is rarely questioned!! I am doubting my abilities. I thought I knew everything about chocolate, and yet, I have never seen nor heard of the "kitchen sink." Everyone else seems to be in the know. Have I failed? or is it some secret inside Disney knowledge? Please help me! I have to be good at something!

"The Kitchen Sink" at the Beach club resort (http://disney.textamerica.com/?r=3401233)

It's two scoops of chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, mint choc chip and coffee ice creams (we always substitute the coffee for something else) then every topping in the place (brownies, oreos, candy bars, cake chunks, some weird fruitcake type stuff, chocolate chips, sprinkles, hot fudge, caramel, strawberry, peanut butter), an entire can of whipped creme and cherries. They dim the lights and go through a whole announcement when they bring it out to you!

Another photo from our own DIS 'food porn' thread...scroll down for a top view of the Kitchen Sink
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=773269#goto_threadsearch

Here's some other tasty treats from Beaches N Cream. The one on the right is a No Way Jose
http://www.wdwfood.com/gallery/albums/beaches/1sundaes.sized.jpg

MelRhoads
01-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, I feel much better. Thanks skywalker and mel!!! Now I feel justified in knowing that it was some inside disney deal (as we know, I'm disilliterate - but getting better) I should also point out that I don't believe chocolate should be adulterated by other so called "toppings" :sad2: I guess I'm just a purist.

It does look pretty big though! Good work Christa! :thumbsup2

chimera
01-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Dave...wow...neuroscience :worship: Lynne, weren't you considering brain surgery at one time?

Maggie...I do my short runs after work on Mon and Wed. Started that when DD13 had soccer practice those nights...I used to do my SR during her practices. I do my long runs early Sat mornings.

Helen...see the Goofy :goofy:...be the Goofy...come in 2007 and 2008 for the Goofy pixiedust:

Beth...wtg!

Judy...woohoo! :cool1: But don't overdo it, particularly if you have healing to do.

Cam...love the feather idea!

I've been wearing my half marathon pin on my coat at work since the race. Several people have commented and asked me about it. I still feel a little weird when people congratulate me :blush:

Off to WDW for a daytrip on Sat...wondering if it would be so bad if I accidentally dropped the dog off at the kennel tomorrow and we just had to spend the night on Sat :rolleyes1

plutosmyfav
01-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Mel you are going to be banned from the TEA thread if you keep posting food porn like that :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: You've got me drooling!!!!!

Dave and Pat, I went to OSU for grad school (physcis) but I didn't graduate. I'd love to run that half, what memories... Come to think of it they are more like night mares of unsolvable homework problems... maybe not!

Forget jello. I have no arms :cool1: I really maxed 'em out tonight. Then I did rowing for 40 minutes. whoo hooo.

Do you realize some people would consider us dysfunctional :rotfl2: Its good that we can come here and reassure ourselves that we are normal :teeth:

Speaking of physics and Judy pushing her TM in the dark... While I was at the Y last night I did a quick calculation. I estimated that there are about 40 cardio machines and they are usually almost all in use. I figured since some people are casual and some are sweating buckets, the average wattage per patron is probably ~100 watts. So 100 X 40 = 40,000 watts. Thats quite a bit of power. Now if we converted that to useful energy we'd lose some in the conversion-- thermo dynamics and all, so I figured maybe we could harness ~80%, that's still 32,000 Watts.

What a waste of energy :rotfl:

Tonight while rowing I thought of Christa's new picture and thought about how we are like major energy conduits. Most people take in some and expend some. We devour tons and expend tons!!!!!

I hope new people aren't dissuaded by my nonsense. We really do talk training sometimes.

Ruffles and dresses, Melissa? I'd never have guess in a million years. I was more a mud-pie making gal. That is, until I became afraid of worms. But I was never a ruffles girl. My aunt was a roofer for a while after she retired from nursing.

I think I should go to bed now.

chimera
01-26-2006, 09:15 PM

You only need proof of time if you want to be in one of the early corrals at the start. I just put in my best SWAG for time last year. If you don't put in a time when you register, they put you in the last corral.

Mouse Skywalker
01-26-2006, 09:25 PM
OK, so like I said, you guys are motivating me. I got back from dinner and decided to walk 2 miles on the treadmill.

So here's my little goof. Pat and Sunny should appreciate this. I went for a 30 min walk on the treadmill here in the fitness center. Anyhow, I brought my workout clothes and running shoes, but guess what t-shirt I brought? A Michigan t-shirt (I went to graduate school at the UofM in Ann Arbor). Yes, here I am in the OSU campus hotel, and I'm wearing my Michigan t-shirt. I didn't even do it on purpose. I just grabbed the cleanest t-shirt that was comfortable. I did hear some workers in the hallway cracking jokes and laughing after I passed about my shirt. So I walked 2 miles in 30 minutes again - felt pretty good! Oooh, and I had a chocolate waiting for me on my pillow when I came back to my room. Nice treat.

plutosmyfav
01-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Dave that's a riot! We learned not to even where blue and gold together while living in Columbus!!!!

Mouse Skywalker
01-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Did I read that some of you women might be interested in these for the Minnie? Only have 15 minutes to buy though.

Hartford to Orlando for $44-$49 One-Way!
- Fare is valid for travel everyday, March 1 through June 9, 2006 only

Manchester to Orlando for $44-$49 One-Way!

Providence to Orlando for $44-$49 One-Way!

xterratri
01-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Triathlon tip time- people are wondering about how to split the workouts for each sport. The way my coach tells me to do it is 2-3 swim workouts a week, 3 bike sessions, 3-4 runs per week and 2-3 strength sessions. For the early season stuff(I'm officially in the season prep phase until Mar 13th), the 2 a days are mostly swim-run days(2) except when there are 4 runs a week and then there is a bike-run day too. This is also double digit training hours with running mileage right around 30 miles/week. Once the race focused program starts, the 4th run goes away and a 4th bike gets added every other week. The program is designed with a NE winter in mind so more running early when the weather can be frightful and more biking once it should start to get better(or at least more daylight hours). My LR distance tops out at 14 miles and my long bike tops out at 80 miles. The program is specifically building toward the FL Half Ironman on May 21st so later in the summer when I'm doing Ironman build the distance and time commitment will go up higher. Needless to say, I'm not worrying about training for the Minnie 15 K as I'm supposed to swim 2000 yds and bike 50 miles before running 8 that day. The big difference though is I'm training for long distance tris with a 13.1 mile run rather than a 5 K so... you probably should add a LR to your tri training.

Disclaimer- I've never actually followed a program before for triathlon.(or running prior to using MFM for the WDW marathon) I just kind of cobbled together workouts with a general idea of what I should be doing so do as I say rather than as I've done. I finished races and collected bling but now I want to race so I'm trying a novel, at least for me, approach. I had actually written my own program for this year before getting the one from my coach and I had myself doing 3 workouts in each sport a week with 2 swim-run days and 1 bike-run day. I gave myself Sun off except for a strength training session. The big difference between what I wrote and the coach provided is intensity. I would have spent much more time at lower intensity and frankly you probably don't get faster by training slow(excuse me, building a base) no matter how fun it is.

Enough rambling, should get to bed as we have 7 hours of lecture tomorrow starting at 8. We(Mo and I) plan on swimming at 1130 as we have off from 11-1. We did the Spinervals Ultraconditioning DVD workout again this afternoon between lecture and my preceptorship at the juvie facility and it kicked our booties. It didn't help that my bike trainer broke when I tried to use it this morning so the resistance was a little higher than I was planning tonight. I'll try figuring out what is wrong with it again in the daylight and if I can't I may be making a trip down to MA to get a new one as I'd rather spend a little more money and get something good and durable for the amount it is going to get used but the specific brand/model isn't sold here in ME.

Someone asked about finding time to exercise- it's all about priorities and mine are school and triathlon. I go to class, study, and train and don't really do much else. Lecture varies between 15-35 hours per week and we can also have preceptorships such as the geriatrics practicum I had tues and then the focused health care encounter I had tonight. Since we had a test yesterday, that was the study focus for the week, so it's basically been a wash so far. Luckily it is almost the weekend and we have scheduled study time(I love Dr Norton) on Monday so from 5 tomorrow until 1 on Tuesday I have no commitments. So I'll ride and run and swim and oh yeah, study cardiology and cardiac pharmacology because that test is Weds.

Judy- yeah on the jogging
PD for illnesses and injuries. Minnie- yes, cortisone shots do frequently cause a short period of increased soreness.
Sunny and Cam- you guys avoid work, I lurk in lecture. Today I was mostly shopping for a new bike trainer though.

FYI- my countdown clock for the Minnie Marathon weekend is at 98 days and I fly in Friday night so 100 days until the Minnie. MelR- it's not about travelling to do a 15 K, it's about the camadarie and let's not forget the bling. You've got Donald, Mickey, and Goofy, I think you need a Minnie too.

perfectmatch300
01-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Judy, great job on the jogging. I need to start pushing myself to jog more than I do. Right now I am trying to push my walking pace. I am doing that by trying to keep up with DH rather than trying to slow him down to my pace. I am noticing that my legs do not seem to be cramping up so basdly anymore when I go faster. I'm taking that as a good sign.

Lisa, I think I saw on the WESH (www.wesh.com) website that strollers are not allowed in Run the Universe but I am not totally positive about that. Let me know if you are going to do it. I can't keep up with your pace, but maybe we could meet before or after the run.

Minnie, I had a cortizone shot in my knee about 2 wks ago. It has helped some with the pain, but I am still having problems with it. Just doesn't hurt as much. I can actually do squats, which I have not been able to do for quite a while now because of the pain. Other than the HUGE needle, I had no pain from the shot itself, and the pain from the huge needle was not as bad as I thought it would be when I saw the needle! I hope you find relief soon.

:earseek: Dave, if my DH's 2 DD's see those fares from Hartford, they will be here for sure! :earseek: With those 2 29 y.o's running around here , I'll never get anything done!

Mouse Skywalker
01-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Here you go guys. I found this sweepstakes, and thought maybe one of you guys could use it. Maybe you could win your way to the race.

http://www.hersports.com/promotions/minniemarathon.html

Her Sports is giving away a package for two to Walt Disney World's Inaugural Minnie Marathon Weekend, May 5-7 in Orlando. The package includes two entries into a Minnie Marathon race (15K, 5K or one mile), a two-night stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel, two one-day tickets to a Disney theme park and two invitations to the Minnie Marathon VIP reception.

Bring your mother, daughter, sister or best friend and join Disney in celebrating women's health and fitness.

Enter today!

DisneyGirl
01-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Judy-- congrats on starting to jog!!! That's exactly how I started years ago (when I used to be able to run constantly)-- pretty soon you'll be jogging the whole time!

Dave-- that is hilarious about the shirt! I can just imagine the looks you got! I'm from Ohio, but I went to another big ten school (which will not be named after this past football season) and all of these OSU people amaze me :-)

I wish we could get some ding rates like that here, but it's expensive to go anywhere from Cleveland (except Baltimore...)!

magslite
01-27-2006, 07:56 AM
You only need proof of time if you want to be in one of the early corrals at the start. I just put in my best SWAG for time last year. If you don't put in a time when you register, they put you in the last corral.

What is SWAG?

Maggie

Mouse Skywalker
01-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Whoa - DisneyGirl Southwest just released a DING from Cleveland today!!!! You have until 11:00pm CST today (1/27) to get it.

Cleveland to Orlando for $34-$39 One-Way!

magslite
01-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Good Morning,

So after aching knees last week, I took the advice from the veterans around here and rested. I then slowed down a bit. I think John Binghams 5k r/w is perfect for me. This week has felt pretty good. I really needed the direction of this type of plan.

I am still making my way through MFM and read this quote that made me think of all the WISHers. "Start the beginning and enjoy the journey. Enjoy the triumphs with shorter distances. Then over time, build the minutes, the miles, and the stories."

There are many of us at the beginning of our journey, and we are benefiting from the stories of those of you who are now WISH veterans.

So, thanks for sharing your stories, advice and experiences. It has been a huge contributor in me staying motivated!

Maggie

Mouse Skywalker
01-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Hey Everyone: More good Southwest DING fares for us in the Midwest! Check 'em out, they're good until 11:00pm CST today (1/27)

Albany to Orlando for $44-$49 One-Way!

Cleveland to Orlando for $34-$39 One-Way!

Columbus to Orlando for $34-$39 One-Way!

Detroit to Orlando for $34-$39 One-Way!

Long Island/Islip to Orlando for $44-$49 One-Way!

keenercam
01-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Dave -- You are awesome for alerting everyone to those fares. I am still trying to find one for the weekend my daughter is performing in Magic Kingdom. Just seeing all the information you have accumulated inspired me to download DING. Thanks!

wtpclc
01-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Dave - :eek: So glad you lived to tell the T-shirt story!!! (grew up 30 min from AA and been going to teh games since I was 6)

Cam - :dumbo: That's too cool! WIsh he had the feather too. I think he'd be a great mascot for us.

Heather 0 This is so 5 pages ago, but I had a seminar, what can I say? yes, dh and I will be backj soing the full next year. I have no idea how that happened, especially since we didn't think we'd have any DVC points. (As it is, we'll have 17 we can borrow, but that's only 2 weeknights at OWK.)

Well, my training has not been going so well. Idid something to the top of my foot. I thought it was from teh sandals for most of the week after the marathon, but it hasn't gotten better. I missed Monday adn Wed. and only did 20 minutes, instead of 40 last night. Been icing and trying to reast, but you've got to walk. Here's where it gets good. By the end of teh work day Wednesday, my foot really hurt. I figured that maybe I just need better work day shoes. So, I somehow justified a pair of Borns. :teeth: Yup, add some more to that free sport. ;) My feet felt much better at teh end of the day yesterday, though.

TiffJ
01-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Dave- wonder why you get a different Ding than I do. All of the Dings I've been getting, including today's, expire 2/28. No fair!!!

Mel-where did you enter a time for the Minnie- I didn't see a place, so I didn't enter one. I dont want to be in the last corral :bitelip:

Maggie-glad you doing better-it is good to listen to those pains sometimes. I know it's hard, I still have a week & 1/2 of DR ordered "no running/walking" and its driving me nuts. But I keep thinking it will be much better in the long run.

Lynne-thanks for the tips. I no where near the level of training you are. Your schedule exhauts me. I hope you allow a little time for R&R.

I've always wanted to go get one of those Kitchen Sinks, but haven't made it over there. The brownie fudge sundaes at Ghiradellis is awesome too!

I think I have my training schedule worked out to get everything in. For whoever asked how we find time-it does take prioritizing. I am a SAHM so it is a little easier for me. Except DS4 only goes to preschool MWF so Tues I get up early and go workout, DH takes DS8 to school & DS4 rides with him. I am done by the time he gets to work & then DS4 switches cars & comes home with me. On Thur I go after DH gets off work. It some juggling but luckily I have a VERY supportive DH who is willing to work with me.

MelRhoads
01-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Bad Dave, Bad, Bad, Dave!!!! I had already instructed Lizdotcom to NOT post the link the the win the Minnie weekend from Hersports. I have registered and I am planning on winning, but if people keep posting, it will lessen my chances!! Maybe Sunny missed it the first time, but now she'll probably see it and figure a way to mathmatically crack the code to win and get my prize!!!!

No workout today, unless I can get someone to kayak iwth me!!

OK Lynn, come and be my commerade for one of trail runs!!!!

DisneyGirl
01-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Never mind-- I figured out it wouldn't work :-(

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Bad Dave, Bad, Bad, Dave!!!! I had already instructed Lizdotcom to NOT post the link the the win the Minnie weekend from Hersports. I have registered and I am planning on winning, but if people keep posting, it will lessen my chances!! Maybe Sunny missed it the first time, but now she'll probably see it and figure a way to mathmatically crack the code to win and get my prize!!!!

No workout today, unless I can get someone to kayak iwth me!!

OK Lynn, come and be my commerade for one of trail runs!!!!

Yep, I caught it :p I'm registered now :thumbsup2 Sorry, MelR, I'll be thinking of you on my trip :lmao:

MelRhoads
01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
OK Sunny, it's deal time!!!! Whoever wins will take the other one!

DisneyGirl
01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, I can't get the ding fare-- they don't let us install things here at work. Oh well.

Updated-- With a little creative web searching, I was able to get it!!!

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 09:58 AM
OK Sunny, it's deal time!!!! Whoever wins will take the other one!

deal!

See that? we just double our chances!

Honeibee
01-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Judy-- awsome job on getting the jog. I totally relate to what you said about being grateful to move. I was put on bedrest for the last 8 weeks of my second preg. I gained so much weight and was so depressed by the end of it. I remember how wonderful it felt to be able to move again. We should never, never, take it for granite.
Sunny

Good morning everyone! TGIF! :banana:

Sunny, you KNOW I have nothing but respect for you, but, ummmmmm, I would never ever take it for a ROCK either! :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: Thanks for making me chuckle this morning. :teeth: Oh I don't know what I'd do for EIGHT weeks of bedrest! Wow! Yes, I'll never take being able to move normally for........granted! :lmao:

Ok, sorry, I'm done now.

:lmao:

Geez, Dave, I don't even KNOW what a neuroscientist is! :blush:

Minnie - How are you feeling today??? :wizard:

Mel - Ohh, I'm jealous! A day trip! :yay:

Many many thanks to everyone for the congrats on my pathetic little bit of jogging I am doing. I did it again today an my "new" knee was just fine. My "old" one was whining a little but I ignored it. :teeth:

Caution: Delicate Subject - Ladies Only! (You guys skip to the next post.)

Ladies, I was reading "Marathon Mom" last night...an old book for sure, but since I've read every other running book in the library it's down to this. Anyway, she mentions that she doesn't wear...(I'm trying to be DIScreet here)....anything under her shirt. Isn't this not a good idea? I mean, I have no choice. My :upsidedow:upsidedow went south to retire before I did. I NEED support! But I should think that not wearing one would be bad for you and you'd just be assisting gravity before it's time.

Any thoughts on this? I guess I could just tuck them into my waistband :lmao: but I've been wearing a lightweight non-underwire so it's at least something. :confused3

OK guys, you can some back now. ;)

Judy

keenercam
01-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Judy-- Your post had me :rotfl: Take my word for it. Especially once you start jogging, you will be glad to have invested in a good sport bra. Our target sells champion brand -- great support and comfy! Sorry guys! ;)

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Judy :rotfl: I have a word association dysfunction :rotfl: As for the going south thing... I agree with you, support is a good thing! I can't imagine why one would run that way, even if support wasn't an issure, chafing must be :blush:

I can't go to the gym at lunchtime. I have to take my car to the shop. grrrr.

MelRhoads
01-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Judy - We actually had the whole going commando discussion sometime last year. The bottom half was the topic, however, not the top. I don't really even have anything to support, and I would NEVER think of going w/o. I am an advocate of no undies with the spandex tights or shorts. The only time i have ever chaffed is when I forgot to "undress" properly b/c I was in a hurry for childcare to get my 20 miler done. I stopped for a potty break at a porta-john at about mile 6 and realized my mistake. I couldn't figure out what to do short of ripping them off and throwing them away somewhere (and they were good ones, so I wasn't about to loose them!) I just finished the run w/ them and I had chaffing for the 1st time in about a yr. Also, I'm just not a fan of lines!!!!!

I just checked the 10day forecast for my 50k next weekend! It is supposed to rain (ICK!) I'll have to post a topo map of the course. It is super crazy. We will have 3500ft of ascent on the way up and 1900 ft on the way back down!!! My butt better be real firm after I finish this one!!!!! Forget the ten minute tushie workout. this one will be an 8 hour kind of deal!!! Last year, there was strawberry cake at one of the aid stations. As we know, I'm really passionate about chocolate, but strawberry cake is ok if it is FREE!!

Lisa loves Pooh
01-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Ladies, I was reading "Marathon Mom" last night...an old book for sure, but since I've read every other running book in the library it's down to this. Anyway, she mentions that she doesn't wear...(I'm trying to be DIScreet here)....anything under her shirt. Isn't this not a good idea? I mean, I have no choice. My :upsidedow:upsidedow went south to retire before I did. I NEED support! But I should think that not wearing one would be bad for you and you'd just be assisting gravity before it's time.

Any thoughts on this? I guess I could just tuck them into my waistband :lmao: but I've been wearing a lightweight non-underwire so it's at least something. :confused3

OK guys, you can some back now. ;)

Judy

I have no idea why she wouldn't wear anything. It is super bad. Unless she's extraordinarily flat chested--she's harming the ladies and will in the end cause them to bow down further than they intended to in her old age.

Additionally--if you watch races...you will see men with blood stained shirts. The reason? Their non-ladies chafe something fierce..and they have nothing so no bouncing to help with that.

I don't believe for one minute that she is pulling it off unless she is running in a shirt that has something built into it for that purpose.

MelRhoads
01-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Sunny - You could run back from the mechanic!! I think someone on this board has done that b/4. I have run to the gro store with the boy in a jogger b/4. I used the jogger as the shopping cart. I was walking thru the isles all sweatty w/ boy and sticking groceries in the jogger. I felt SO STUPID until some young mom looked at me and said "cool" then i felt like a "W-O-M-A-N!, I'll sing it again!"

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Lisa-- maybe she does what many of the men do-- band aids!

Honeibee
01-27-2006, 12:01 PM
http://www.marathonwalking.com/

Judy

budbeerlady
01-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Another quick and non-informed starter question. Where did you come up with the eating specifics, did you see a trainer or nutritionist or another book, in MFM? Thanks!

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Budlady (can I call you that? its too much typing :p ) here's a classic "do as I say, not as I do" You should increase your food intake to meet your energy expenditure by adding more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean protein.

I have a very creative inner demon who manages to translate that into "eat more coffee rolls and donuts" :confused3

But seriously, pay attention to your body. If you feel weak, light headed, etc., then you probably need to increase your food intake.

Sunny

magslite
01-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Newbie question -

How do I choose good running pants/shorts?

Maggie

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 01:22 PM
oh I really want to become a tri geek. Look a this race:

http://www.timbermantri.com/moosemanhalfiron.html

I think I'm going to start making room in my schedule for swimming at the Y and taking the 2 hour spinning class at my gym. I just don't know how I'd ever fit in real biking and afford a real bike.... Now I'm starting to wonder how you fit it all in?

Sunny

xterratri
01-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Sunny- there's an olympic distance the same weekend. Mo is racing the olympic on Sat and I'm registered for the half on Sunday. We're going to have fun, come play with us:) It's the same race organizers that put on timberman later in the summer but both of us are racing the half that weekend rather than just me. You can meet me at Belmont Wheelworks tonight and I'll help you find a bike.(twisting Sunny's arm, he he)

littlegreydonkey
01-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Morning - thanks for the bouncing Tigger and Goofy - woke tim up to tell him you're sending me bouncing goofy's the make me come, and lamented my lack of Minnie medal, he says I can come - on my own. I came back with 'if we lived in England I'd go on my own...' tim is now practically packing thinking we're moving back!

Not much for me to report trainingwise - as it's currently 8.30am Sat morning and I'm typing not running. I went to a wedding yesterday so I may switch my long run to Sunday - I've been invited tri training this afternoon so may go. I suppose I'd better see if I can still float/pedal before I turn up on race day, not a bag fan of the seaswims though. There's been jellyfish out there recently (I will call him squishy and he will be mine). Helen

chimera
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM
My schedule's all messed up this week. I missed Wed training due to a migraine, then realized I needed to do my LR today since we'll be in Orlando tomorrow. And...there's only 5 weeks til the Sarasota half :scared1: I'm wondering if I shouldn't have planned to do another half so soon after WDW, but they've already mailed me my bib number (#1011) so I guess I'm committed. So 6 miles today at 13:56. Here's my splits:
mile 1 13:57
2 13:24
3 14:02
4 14:05
5 14:10
6 14:07

My last 6 miler during training for WDW was a 15:21 pace.

On the bra question, I can't imagine not wearing one during training (does that make it a training bra? :lmao: ) . I get mine at Walmart...I like tagless ones by Best Form and Fruit of the Loom (that reminds me, I still don't have a DIS tag yet? Wouldn't it be cool if the tag fairy gave us all WISH marathon team tags...hint, hint :rolleyes1 )

In the interest of TMI, I do the commando thing with spandex shorts because I wear two layers, nylon shorts with pockets over sausage shorts. The nylon shorts have pockets to carry my phone and the sausage shorts prevent chafing. Adding an extra layer of undergarment to all that just didn't make sense. For buying pants, I've gotten all of mine at Target...don't know if that makes them good or not, but they seem to work okay for me.

That was me that walked home from the tire shop last summer. That was when I was working from home...I live about a mile and a half from the tire place :)

Tiff...I looked on the Minnie form, but don't think they asked for finish time. I was talking about half registration.

More dings, more dings :bounce: . Y'all just have to come down for a WISH Girls Day Out at the Minnie ::MinnieMo Btw...I never fly anywhere...what's a ding?

SWAG=scientific wild :rolleyes1 guess

Burning question of the day...how do you answer the phone while you run? I'm on call for the office for three weeks so have to spend every moment with my cell. I realized today that in a year of training, no one's ever called me while I was out on a run (don't know if that's good or sad :confused: ). Got a call while I was out today...went something like this: notice phone vibration...stop...turn off Garmin...turn off MP3...whoops, didnt push the button long enough...turn off MP3 again...get phone from left, oops no, right pocket...darn it, pocket's zipped...unzip pocket...answer phone...good grief, take ear buds out of ear...answer phone. I'll be needing to figure out a better way to handle this in the future.

Whew...boy, that's a rambling post! Bet y'all are glad I work the rest of the week ;)

MelRhoads
01-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Helen - I must agree! I would not like to meet squishy!! Bad squisy, bad squishy!! The cheap fares for me to do minnie are already gone :-( That didn't take long. I can't spend that much money that fast (I'm afraid to fly!!! It is actually more amazing that I got on a plane than it is that I did goofy!)

Sunny - meet lynn!!! Get the bike!!!!!!

Lynn - make her get the bike!!! Tell her it is good for the unmentioned body part! and that spinning class is not as fun as being outside!!!

Obviously, I did not find anyone to play w/ me today. Bummer too b/c the temp is in the 50's! No one wants to kayak. I wish Mel and the wild todd were here! They would go!

I'm posting a pic of my 50k route for next weekend. It is an out and back. I tried to draw the route on for the elevation profile but it is not exact. Anyway, here it is!!! It is free and there is no sign up, you just show up if anyone wants to come!!!!!

Hey look, the smoking smiley is back :smokin: Why do the keep changing? I can promise that we won't be "smokin' " on the 50k We are going to walk all the steep hills (uhhh. the whole thing!) and probably run intervals on the runnable parts. Last yr. we just did the up part (25k) We started 30 mins early since they allow early start and you keep your own time. We basically got passed by everyone and got to the top too late for the beer and chilli frito pie. Last yr it was pretty warm though, so the thought of chilli made me feel a little nauseated anyway!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid200/p30b66140ed7e5514823b5a609b51bb36/f066e562.jpg

chimera
01-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Obviously, I did not find anyone to play w/ me today. Bummer too b/c the temp is in the 50's! No one wants to kayak. I wish Mel and the wild todd were here! They would go!

That we would...our boats have been in dry dock far too long! But why don't y'all come here...it's 73 today!

plutosmyfav
01-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Mel-- that's pretty much how I always answer my cell. I guess I'm a loser, I don't get enough calls to learn how to do it slick.

MelR-- that course is insane! The whole end is up hill. Your gonna die :lmao:

I don't know why the smilies keep jumping around. Just when I think I know where to click they move again :confused3

So if I answer a post with "Im so sorry to hear that :lmao: " just know I really meant :grouphug:

Well the outdoor bike thing is going to have to wait for spring. I'm not ready to tackle biking in the snow and ice yet.

Off to the gym now... no clue what I'm going to do.

Honeibee
01-27-2006, 04:11 PM
MelR-- that course is insane! The whole end is up hill. Your gonna die :lmao:

I don't know why the smilies keep jumping around. Just when I think I know where to click they move again :confused3

So if I answer a post with "Im so sorry to hear that :lmao: " just know I really meant :grouphug:

Sunny - You're a pip! :rotfl: I can't wait to meet you IRL.

Have a great weekend everybody! :hippie:

Judy

Mouse Skywalker
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Two more DINGS to Orlando

Buffalo to Orlando for $44-$49 One-Way!

Pittsburgh to Orlando for $34-$39 One-Way!