Daily room checks

I wonder if Disney is legally required to perform these daily checks. Common sense dictates that it's not economical for them to do these tasks. There has to be a good reason for them to risk angering their more volatile guests.
If it was a legal reason, then you would think all hotels and resorts in Orange County (or Florida) would have to do it. They don't.

So they're spending extra money to combat human trafficking or whatever? Isn't this a good thing? I'd rather they check everyday than none at all.
I’m not entirely convinced that a maid coming in to take a cursory look around, flick a couple of light switches on and off, and touch a few surfaces, is really going to “combat human trafficking”.

I’m not entirely convinced that a maid coming in to take a cursory look around, flick a couple of light switches on and off, and touch a few surfaces, is really going to “combat human trafficking”.
Going by things I have read, the checks were started shortly after Florida passed a law that said hotels could be held liable if they were aware that human trafficking was taking place on their property. I suppose this is their way of protecting themselves from lawsuits.

The only motivating factor Disney has is “money”. They aren’t trying to make you safer, because it doesn’t make you safer. If anything, it actually conditions you to a very unusual and unsafe practice that a bad guy could easily use to gain entry. They are either 1) saving money on insurance or 2) shielding themselves from liability.

How late in the evening can these "checks" happen? If I go out to dinner with my spouse and leave my teens behind, I would instruct them NOT to remove the latch for anyone...even hotel staff.

I have been told 9PM when I asked 2 separate CMs checking our rooms.
May I ask why there were separate CMs checking your room? Was this because the room did not have daily housekeeping? I'm trying to find out if certain resorts/rooms are more likely to have this type of inspection. The only time we had a male CM asking to check the room was during the post-Covid reopening, where housekeeping was every other day.

Other than that, we've never had anyone coming in while we were in the room.

So they're spending extra money to combat human trafficking or whatever? Isn't this a good thing? I'd rather they check everyday than none at all.
A lot of things sound like a good thing. We don't want people trafficking drugs, so let's search everyone's home. Certainly Disney is a private operation and I am on private property when staying there. They just don't do a good job of indicating this intrusive check prior to booking. We still stay and endure it.

Disney resorts are peppered with security cameras everywhere. Certainly they would see suspicious things happening in the hallways and could tailor their checks to rooms where traffic in and out looks out of place.

If they had caught even a single human trafficker, we would have seen reports of it in the news. Even if Disney didn't disclose it, there are enough independent journalists and blogs that follow police reports from in and around Disney World that it would have come up. This is all public record.

A lot of things sound like a good thing. We don't want people trafficking drugs, so let's search everyone's home. Certainly Disney is a private operation and I am on private property when staying there. They just don't do a good job of indicating this intrusive check prior to booking. We still stay and endure it.

Disney resorts are peppered with security cameras everywhere. Certainly they would see suspicious things happening in the hallways and could tailor their checks to rooms where traffic in and out looks out of place.

If they had caught even a single human trafficker, we would have seen reports of it in the news. Even if Disney didn't disclose it, there are enough independent journalists and blogs that follow police reports from in and around Disney World that it would have come up. This is all public record.
I don't enjoy the room checks. I also doubt that in most cases they do anything but annoy the guest and make the cast member required to do them feel awkward. However, I think you're being kind of ignorant if you think that every situation becomes public knowledge.

May I ask why there were separate CMs checking your room?
We were in the room on 2 separate days at YC when they came to do the check. Both CMs were super nice/friendly so I started chatting with them. I happened to ask them how early they start doing the checks, 9AM, and how late, 9PM.
Was this because the room did not have daily housekeeping?
No, we had daily housekeeping.
I'm trying to find out if certain resorts/rooms are more likely to have this type of inspection.
In our experience, and from WDW literature, they happen daily at all WDW resorts.
The only time we had a male CM asking to check the room was during the post-Covid reopening, where housekeeping was every other day.

Other than that, we've never had anyone coming in while we were in the room.
The vast majority of the time they will be done when the room is unoccupied.

I don't enjoy the room checks. I also doubt that in most cases they do anything but annoy the guest and make the cast member required to do them feel awkward. However, I think you're being kind of ignorant if you think that every situation becomes public knowledge.
Police reports are mostly public record. I suppose they could be suppressed in certain situations, but that would be very rare. Especially if charges are brought. The cases I mentioned about Disney employees actually being caught up in sex crimes was well reported in the news. If someone is trying to cover up certain crimes, especially those regarding trafficking, they are doing a huge disservice to the population. These crimes are not reported on enough.

Police reports are mostly public record. I suppose they could be suppressed in certain situations, but that would be very rare. Especially if charges are brought. The cases I mentioned about Disney employees actually being caught up in sex crimes was well reported in the news. If someone is trying to cover up certain crimes, especially those regarding trafficking, they are doing a huge disservice to the population. These crimes are not reported on enough.
Yes, the USA does not have a secret criminal justice system, and prosecutions and plea deals are all public information. And given the large number of news sources and bloggers interested in all things Disney, you can be sure that a news story like “DISNEY MAID BUSTS HUMAN TRAFFICKING RING DURING DAILY ROOM CHECK” would be splashed all over the Internet.

I'm curious to learn why some people believe that Universal hotels don't have daily checks. Do these guests stay in their room 24 hours/day?
Because we haven’t had reports of it being a problem at UOR.

I never once had a room check at PBR or SFR while in the room. BUT both of those are run by Loews, who to me has a higher standard of hotel service than Disney, so it is entirely possible they are competent enough to do it when I’m not in the room unlike Disney.

The only motivating factor Disney has is “money”. They aren’t trying to make you safer, because it doesn’t make you safer. If anything, it actually conditions you to a very unusual and unsafe practice that a bad guy could easily use to gain entry. They are either 1) saving money on insurance or 2) shielding themselves from liability.
3) Ego

This Big Idea could have been an ego tripping executive’s idea destined to remain in place until the executive leaves.

Because we haven’t had reports of it being a problem at UOR.

I never once had a room check at PBR or SFR while in the room. BUT both of those are run by Loews, who to me has a higher standard of hotel service than Disney, so it is entirely possible they are competent enough to do it when I’m not in the room unlike Disney.
I'm not comparing the efficiency or stealth between Disney and Universal when it comes to room checking. I'm concerned about the ambiguity of a certain post (not yours) that may lead others into thinking that Universal doesn't do this at all. The person with the dog had a camera, so they had proof that no one entered the room. But what about those without dogs or private surveillance? How do they know that the room wasn't "checked" in their absence?

Please don't think that I'm dismissing Universal's competency. I love Loews. Going to Hard Rock next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter